Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And daphnews Aniga and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome Tomorrow's minute.
Speaker 1: We have a very very exciting guest today, Jack Wagner, but.
Speaker 2: The most fun troublemaker on set whatever show you're doing.
Speaker 4: You know what a reputation. I love it.
Speaker 3: Have your ears been burning?
Speaker 5: Because you have come up a few times on our podcast and we've talked about how much fun everybody talks about fun stories with Jack and either you trying to sabotage make us laugh.
Speaker 2: And you know any of that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we're so happy to have you for this Melrose Minute, and we're hoping that we're going to get a longer session with you because there's way more stories to tell and.
Speaker 4: To do that for sure.
Speaker 1: Are we're going to get a much longer Melrose Hour with you, Yes, in person, in person. But this is really to talk about your show.
Speaker 3: It's finale on Sunday, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So thanks for having me to be able to promote this Sunday. You know, the season finale. The show is called When Calls the Heart on the Hallmark Channel, and it's so funny to be with you guys, you know, because it's such a opposite type of material than Melrose Place, which was pretty racy, right, and bed scenes and backstabbings in this and this is family friendly television. So it's just a heart heartwarming show. And it's about a pioneer talent at the turn of the century as a based on a book by Janet Oak and about a school teacher who leaves the big city and goes to the pioneer to become a school teacher.
Speaker 2: And it's got a huge following doc I mean, it's a phenomenon. It's like Hallmark's biggest show.
Speaker 4: I think it is, you know, and I know you guys can relate to this because of the series you've been on and especially the show we were so blessed to be on melrose Place. When you have that core fan base and they call themselves girls that hashtag parties party Sweet and we sweet with them and have tweeted for twelve years live during the episodes on X and so I think that really has endeared I think us as it's humanized us to the audience and they're just a very loyal fan base.
Speaker 1: Well, it's incredible. So we have loyal fans, right, they'll still come up to you. I'm wearing my heart in honor of the Hearties. I went down the rabbit hole with the Hardy family reunion, and I am so envious of everyone who gets to be there.
Speaker 3: This is the one from last year.
Speaker 1: The woman made a quilt and she made actual three D buildings image of the building from the quilt.
Speaker 3: There were friendship bracelets.
Speaker 1: I was watching it thinking, what an extraordinary community to be a part of.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: That's a good word Courtineys community, because that's that's really the foundation I think of this show. Right. It's really heartwarming, and of course there's comedy. You know, I wouldn't really be involved in anything if I couldn't find comedy in it.
Speaker 3: You'll find it, so it does.
Speaker 4: It's really a cute, funny show with romance and very very really touches your heart.
Speaker 3: Have you been on all twelve years?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I came on because of Lori Lachlin. You know, her husband is a buddy of mine, you know, from golf, and so she's like the golf course she goes. You know, I'm on the show. You should really check this out because they had just done a Hallmark movie, so I went to one of their events and met the producer and I joined at the towards the end of season one.
Speaker 3: Wow yeah, and twelve years much. How often are you in Vancouver? How long is the season?
Speaker 4: It's July to November.
Speaker 3: That's perfect, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, because it's they've built a pioneer town in Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Is it in Vancouver?
Speaker 4: After Vancouver? Vancouver Langley? I remember, Daphne, we saw you at the at the airport, remember.
Speaker 2: Us, Jack and I was trying to look up. We did two other movies, I think, both in Canada as well, or at least one of them.
Speaker 4: We worked together more after Melrose, So we did work together on Melroe's Place, right, Daphne, I know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I survived Melrose because I didn't have to deal with Peter Burns.
Speaker 5: I don't know where could I handled your That was some of the best part.
Speaker 4: It was we had in the doctor's office.
Speaker 3: Coming up with oh my god, Oh my gosh. That was some of the best.
Speaker 4: Pencil pencil sharpener day and apple.
Speaker 2: Right, there was at some point I think it was a spy and basically Jack Wager's doing the pendulum. You're starting from the darkest of the dark comedy to the Hearty's like in one career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally, it does. It does remind me a bit of U General Hospital in the eighties. Right well, that was kind of my big break. And that fan base of that soap opera is still there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I still get called Frisco probably more than oh my goshly so as you guys know, when when a fan base, you know, love starts to fall in love with the characters, it's very real for them and it reminds me a little bit of a GH fans back in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: We talked about the community for a second. I was thinking about last year, all my girlfriends and I watched The Residents separately together.
Speaker 3: It was so much fun, and going down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: Of this convention, I just thought they get that all the time, Like these people they connect. There's a show there's heart to heart ease, which just how incredible.
Speaker 3: So they have this, they maintain this all.
Speaker 1: Year, this connection around this show, and I think it's extraordinary cause I think we're all really looking for community, and what a sweet.
Speaker 4: One to find. Good point, Courtney, I think this show resonates with people given our you know, political temperature in the country for the last ten years or more. Right, I think people look for something that's safe, you know, and something we don't show blood, we don't show sex, we don't show nudity, we don't use profanity. But yet we can shoot a gun.
Speaker 2: You know, a miracle you were cast.
Speaker 3: If you really think about it.
Speaker 2: You have good agents. I mean, thank god for Laurie.
Speaker 3: Have they not met you, Jack? Did they know you? I mean golf?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, but right, yeah, we're all still full of them, right, girls.
Speaker 5: Twelve years they still don't know.
Speaker 1: And you guys must be like a family to the cast at this point. That's a long time to be. You probably have an apartment there. It's kind of on location for six months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit. Yeah, I live in the apartment side of a hotel. But it's like this, you know, when you see you know, people you've worked with, it's like high school friends. You know, you seem to reconnect immediately and go down memory lane and like it's like no time has passed. The strange part about the blessing of this show is it's like we're returning to school every year. I mean, we talk about it as a cast in the green room, you know, twelve seasons and it hasn't been announced, but it's I think we're going to get thirteen. You know. It's almost like we show up and we pinch ourselves and just really, uh listen. The most important thing for me, and I know you guys know this for yourselves as well as myself, and that is that the actors and directors were all seasoned enough now where we collaborate on the material. You know, I'm able to call the showrunner when something's not right, if they missed something, if it's not funny, and they trust me, and so it's such a great work environment that I know you guys appreciate it and also do yourselves. When you can collaborate on set and make something better, you know, raise the bar.
Speaker 3: And so that's the trust factor. I'm knowing each other so well.
Speaker 2: And you know when we started this jack, you know, we were like, yeah, we got along, and my other side of my brain was how.
Speaker 3: Did everyone did redone really get along?
Speaker 2: In Melvoe's place?
Speaker 3: And then I've remembered, uh yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the biggest disappointment for interviews that I did from Melrose onwards. Was that there was no drama really, you know, there was no like that was on screen. We got paid to do that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: There was a trust there and yeah, depending on each other and a fun I mean your stuff with Laura as Sydney and you was Peter and Michael.
Speaker 3: In that office was like a whole other.
Speaker 2: I mean that was like amazing comedy and.
Speaker 4: They're get a little bubble there. Yeah, But I think you're right, definitely, there really is when you when the cast gets along, and I think it all like for us, it's all sort of dripped down from Heather, you know, when you're when you're kind of lead, has got it together and is kind and loving. I think that that kind of like drips down from the top, even producers. Right, we didn't have you know, jerks that were exacts. We had really good dudes. You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right, Yeah, anybody who acts out looks ridiculous when number one on the call sheet is as lovely as Heather is was and is. We just talked to her a few weeks ago and it was amazing. She looks exactly the same, She sounds exactly the same funny and charming and reverence.
Speaker 3: The two of you on together, because that would be amazing.
Speaker 5: Lucy and Ricky and we have this funny thing where like we weren't the three of us weren't around for the final seasons and you know you were. So there's a whole different flavor of the show that you haven't experience of and probably even maybe a more recent memory of than the time that we associate with because of those years or whatever.
Speaker 3: And it's it was, you know, for a show to go.
Speaker 5: For seven years at all is miraculous, which is why like your twelve year run on When Calls the Heart is even you know, more amazing.
Speaker 3: And but like you.
Speaker 5: Must have had like this feeling of a couple of different air of the time on Melrose even Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: So because of the cast had shifted, especially towards the last year or so. I think they were trying to. I think we can all feel when something maybe coming to an end right on a series, and so it felt like it there. So I felt really honored to, you know, have the last scene of the show to be you know, Heather and I having bought this Island and faked our death and doing our vows and walking off, you know, on the beach in the sunset. Was like, wow, what an honor. You know, it's kind of carry you know, the old guard into the last scene of the show. Right, So I agree we lost the cast and it felt like it was coming to an end, and it was. It was sad you guys weren't there. Seriously, Oh thanks.
Speaker 3: For shutting it. It was strange that it went on.
Speaker 1: But that's the amazing thing about whind Calls the Heart that you guys are all still together, that you get to see each other every year. I love that moment coming back from the summer, right, it is like school, like you got your new school clothes and you're ready for the new year. And the other thing we've talked about script, Yeah, getting the newscript on Malo's Flakes.
Speaker 3: Remember it was like word perfect.
Speaker 1: We're all young, and we're all sort of green, except Daphne who done several movies, but we're all sort of green, and it was like exact words and were I love that you said that this is more collaborative because you're all grown ups, so it's nice to be.
Speaker 3: Heard and bring your experience into it.
Speaker 4: Oh you know what, Pa, I'll save my audition for Melrose and then.
Speaker 3: I'll save hour with you.
Speaker 2: We're gonna put you through the ring?
Speaker 4: Or don't you worry.
Speaker 5: When I come back and cannot wait? Do you think that the one calls the heart cast and crew? Do you think they see the same version of Jack that we saw?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Are you like, do you have to temper sort of your like according to the role? Fun Do they have the same version of Jack?
Speaker 4: I think I would. I hate to say this, but I might have grown up a little bit. You know. Maybe my goal is to not to see how sarcastic I can be on set to make the crew laugh at anyone's expense, you know, maybe, But you know, I've always been a real believer in laughter really makes a set much more enjoyable, right, And I find sometimes the most emotional scenes, you know, clearly you're focused and you're connected, but it's almost like a funeral, you know, laughter seems to break the ice and you can you can open yourself up even for a more organic performance. Right. So, I've always been a real fan of of a component of having laughter around the set. I just think maybe I've maybe grown a little bit and it's not at every maybe my other actors expense deprecating.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this is my favorite memory of you that you always pretended you couldn't remember Heather's names.
Speaker 3: You'd be like, where's Helen? Where is Helen coming? Do you remember? That made me laugh? You know, for probably five years me laugh every single time.
Speaker 4: Good, I'll use my material until like it's finally like, really are we going with the Hell and Heather thing again? Seriously? Can't we come up with some new stuff? I love that your best audience, Courtney, You're my best Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she remembers.
Speaker 1: It still makes me laugh. It still makes me laugh thirty years later.
Speaker 5: I might actually have one of your headshots in my memorabilia box because when you're like distribute, I got one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna love it up in your bedroom on the wall.
Speaker 4: But who did that cast photo one year where they put my face superimposed over the whole castles that time? Probably I think it was Thomas. Yeah, I don't know what mess like it? Yeah, between you.
Speaker 2: And Thomas, poor Laura, those ss all that you have to go to work with those two.
Speaker 3: Laura, I loved it.
Speaker 4: You were she was a champ. Laura's funny. She does call me so well.
Speaker 3: So funny.
Speaker 5: We have we have good stories that we have to hold because we have a whole big episode with you and so many fun stories I'm sharing. I think of more after after we say goodbye, after this Melrose minute. But the coolest thing is to have I haven't seen you in a million years, and it's like it was yesterday and it's been It's so fun to see your face and.
Speaker 4: See you guys look amazing. Fortney. We've seen each other at a few Hallmark. You were working over there for a while, so we've caught up here and there, and Daphne at the airport and Laura, you know this.
Speaker 3: When you're doing movies with Josie. Do you and Josie still do your Hallmark movies?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. You know, you know we did six of franchise of six wedding cool she is. You know, I never got to really note Josie on Melrose Place because you know, it really didn't work with her much. She's the quirkiest, funniest I mean, we just hit it off so much, you know, so we had this really nice run of movies. I I think, you know, there's a chance that we may be rebooting the franchise. You know, I'm in negotiation now, tell us.
Speaker 2: The name of it again.
Speaker 3: Wedding March, Wedding March, Okay.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, it was so great to work with Josie on such a different level. Yeah, side of the show, share memories and just these chapters, right girls of our lots. You know, it's sort of right now we're almost opening a new chapter together just as friends here, you know, because it's been so long.
Speaker 3: So well, that's been the best thing.
Speaker 1: We keep talking about that the best thing part of doing this podcast is seeing everybody again, and.
Speaker 3: It is so sweet because that time, as.
Speaker 1: You know, is so intense, and we're all so young, and to meet each other now when we're all so much lighter, Like that's what they don't tell you. As you get older, you feel lighter, you're happier, you don't take yourself as seriously.
Speaker 2: There was no time back then, there was no off stage like you know, all this get together this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also we were very earnest, like you were having a lot of fun, Jack, But I was very super earnest about the work, and I wish I could have been lighter, but now.
Speaker 3: We get to do it again. It's like we get this special do over. We're so lucky.
Speaker 4: Listen now to your defense and all of our defense. I don't think people really understand that we were doing thirty four episodes like two or three years. It's called double ups for the audience out there. Nuts have two production crews, two directors, and two different episodes going at once. Like that's that's insane. No serious.
Speaker 2: Always yeah, you're either sleeping, learning lines.
Speaker 5: Or on st We've talked about that a lot, and it's really hard to imagine. How many episodes do you do a season and when it calls the heart twelve, yes, that's like reasonable, but it takes.
Speaker 3: You three years to get as many episodes.
Speaker 1: So kids now, like kids now, will do a show on a streamer, they'll do six episodes. Then it could be two years before they do another season. And it sounds like a lot of money, but spread over two years, it's not as much. I mean, so I'm glad I did it when I was young. I could not do it today, there's no way.
Speaker 2: Thank god, we had Aaron Spelling who wanted to get into syndication faster.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Nobody's doing it, nobody's doing money to syndication.
Speaker 2: So he got us up to one hundred episodes very fast.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah. He also really liked actors, you know. Yeah, there's quite a few of us directed. And it was so nice to I know, I directed, and just everybody was you know, supported, Thomas and Rob and myself and whoever else directed. It wasn't like, you know, there was an ego attached. We all knew that it was a tough job, you know, and it was very cool, Aaron, I think to trust us and you know, to be you know, a team effort, right when.
Speaker 2: You get on a set and when you're on a well oiled machine and that's your first directing, that's amazing because you have because on One Tree Hill I had.
Speaker 3: Some of the actors they directed.
Speaker 2: They have the crew, they know, they have the fan, they have the script, they know, they have the friends they know, so it must have been it was there for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you need the DP and you need them to pick the lens and what lens and what do you want and you tell them and then they kind of do the technical things that you really aren't seasoned on. You know, some people maybe, but I was a little green at it. I certainly was into the performance end of things in terms of acting and you know, working through a scene, et cetera. I love that component. But the other part, you know, the pre production post production. I never chased directing after that because I really just was too much of an actor, you know, I just didn't like the pre post part of the directing. You don't heart Yeah, no, you know, because it's a Canadian deal. They hire Canadian director because there's a twenty five percent tax break to shoot in Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So that's why you know, Hallmark, there's so many of their movies up there and a lot of their production up there.
Speaker 2: Jack, you've been up there so long shooting that can you did you get a Canadian car to work there as well? I know some American actors now can also work as maybe it's as Canadian or they can live there.
Speaker 4: I just they just tax the hell out of me up there and in America.
Speaker 3: That's just yeah, you just get to do that twice. That's about a privilege.
Speaker 5: Well, we're so excited that we got this excuse to see you and that we have every reason to see you again soon. So for now, we just want to remind everybody that your season finale of one calls the Heart. Season twelve finale is Sunday, Monday on Hallmark Channel.
Speaker 4: Yes, six pm East Coast, I think in nine pm West coast, you know in central.
Speaker 3: I think that's backwards.
Speaker 1: I think it's nine pm East coast, six nine pm West Coast. Yeah, we're not good at We don't have to be good at math.
Speaker 3: We don't have to. We're too pretty to be good at math.
Speaker 2: We don't have But this sounds logical.
Speaker 5: If it's nine pm on the East coast, it should be six pm on the west.
Speaker 2: Am I right?
Speaker 5: People?
Speaker 4: Are we helping you Jack?
Speaker 2: Are you enjoying yourselves with us?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 2: How we are at this?
Speaker 4: Ready? Me because of my arithmetic? Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yes, but we are happy to have you for your humor, into your handsomeness and always bringing joy.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to see you and hug you in person and tell you even longer and more.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see you, guys. It's been so nice to reconnect like this. Thanks for having me and you know, promoting this and just letting me know when we're going to get together, maybe in a week or two I hope right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're so excited.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming, so good to see you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jack, Well, that was fun.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to see Jack in his season finale of one Calls a Heart on the Homer Channel this Sunday at nine o'clock eighth Central