Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh, i's you. I Smell pop Culture with Eastern Allen and I Heart Radio podcast. Hey everybody, Easton Allen. I Smell pop Culture one of eleven productions iHeart Radio, iHeart Media, I Heart Podcasts. This is I Am all In. I Smell pop Culture. As I mentioned before, my name is Easton Allen. It's nice to meet you. If you're just joining us. Here's what we do here on this show. We love the pop culture references and Gilmore girls. We eat them up, we can't get enough. And because of that, we are going to explore these pop culture references. We're going deeper. We're going to talk to the people behind them. We're going to talk to the people there about We're going to talk to the artists, the magic meekers, the dream casters that create these pop culture moments, and learn more about and what makes a pop culture figure. This week, we're doing something really, really special. I am personally so excited about the guests we have this week. Every guest on this show is a dream come true for me, but this one in particular is a longtime idol of mine. So listen, a few rock lobsters. We're headed to our own private Idaho and you can roam if you want to. But if you see a faded sign on the side of the road that says fifteen miles to the podocast.
Speaker 2: iHeart Podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: All right, hey everybody, thanks for listening to those commercials. We love it. I need to put food on my table and I need to pay my mortgage, So thank you so much for listening to those commercials and spending your money there with those great promo codes. My name is Easton Allen. This is the Ice Mal pop Culture podcast on I Am all In. You're listening to the right place. If you love Gilmore Girls, you are in the right spot. Thank you to Scott Patterson, our our fearless leader, for letting me do this. We're talking to a very exciting person today. So this individual that we're talking to is part of a band that has been referenced many times in Gomer Girls. But specifically, we're going to go back to a scene we've already explored. This is like a peanut, butter and jelly moment. We are double dipping here. On the Pop Culture Season one episode for The Deer Hunter, we explored this. When we interviewed Mario Lopez a few weeks ago, Rory and Loralai are Lukes are talking about Rory's first D. She's very embarrassed. Lorelei affirms that this d is less humiliating than admitting that she watched Save by the Bell. We talked about that already, But what really strikes me about this scene in particular is when Laura Lai enters Luke's diner. She is wearing a B fifty two's shirt, a shirt of the first album It's Sick as Hell. It's so cool. It really made me personally connect with Laura I so much more. I am a huge Bee fifty twos fan, just like Laura Lei. And they've been mentioned many times throughout Gilmour Girls. They've played the music, they have just referenced the B fifty two's, and today we are going to talk to one of the founding members from the B fifty two's, Kate Pearson. She's been in the band since nineteen seventy six. She's been with them the whole time. She's written all your favorite songs rock Lobster, Rome, Love Shack, so many more, and she has a solo album out called Radios and Rainbows. We'll talk all about that. And you know, even if you're not a B fifty two's fan, I guarantee you know her voice, you know her red hair, her unforgettable looks. So many B fifty two songs are just deep in the fabric of pop culture and we're going to get into all of it now. We're going to talk Gilmore Girls with her. We're going to talk about the Flintstones. We're talking about at all. And Kate Pearson is here and Kate, hi, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: I love your T shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to be weird, I promise. I am a very big fan. We're very excited to do this. My name's Easton. It's so nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Nice meeting you. But I harkened back to that T shirt when we first went the only time the B fifty two's played in Japan, and we were worried about the name. Obviously, I thought, oh my god, we better change our name. So we thought about all these different names, including like Fellini's Children, the Attack Elephants, all these different names, and we decided, well, we just couldn't, you know, we had to stick with the B fifty twos and when we went there, the regular company sort of launched this campaign, you know, wigs not bombers. They totally got it. The kids got it.
Speaker 1: Kate Pearson is with us from the B fifty two. She's talking about my If you can't see this, you probably can't, but this is my I'm wearing a B fifty two's T shirt and it has a B fifty two bomber saying not this this, and it's got a beehive haircut. It's it's an awesome shirt. Thank you so much for doing this. We're going to dive right in. I love that story. And actually I read is it true that the name be fifty twos came to Ricky Wilson like in a dream? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Actually it was Keith Strickland.
Speaker 1: Keith Strickland, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was sort of awaking, you know, he was half awake and he was thinking. He was envisioning this, all these women with big beehive hairdoos playing organs, and someone whispered in his ear, you know who's that? And he heard this. It just came to him, that's the B fifty two's, And he suggested that name to the band, and we had lists and lists and lists of names, but that just just seemed right.
Speaker 1: I love reading the story of how the band started because, and please correct me if I have this right, you're sharing a flaming volcano drink at a restaurant and then you start jamming. You go to a jam session after that, and you just start jamming and then playing at these like parties. It seems like such an organic and like just a natural way for a band to start, right totally.
Speaker 2: I'm just sort of amazed, and I think back on it that no one said, hey, let's start a band like keyboard and you can play drums. It just started that night when we had there must have been something magic in that flaming volcano. But we couldn't afford food, so we just got the flaming volcano and it had six straws because there were six of us there, including our friend Owen Scott, who became a clinical psychologist because he joined the jam session. But it was his house and he had all these instruments. He was also a musician is still, so he had all these instruments. We started jamming. He was working on a paper upstairs, and then we just came up with a song called Killer Bees and it had a chorus that was basically buzz buzz buzz, and it was about the killer bees coming up from South America and so I don't think they've arrived.
Speaker 1: Yet, They're still coming.
Speaker 2: It was the Killer Wasp, so we still have to look out. But that was that sort of set the template for the rest of our the way we wrote collectively and jammed, because most of our songs are written by jamming, and that's why we come up with such off the wall kind of crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: You can hear that energy in the music. I love hearing that, Like that's how you're writing, you're just jamming and playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a lot of cassette tapeset of our jams, and it's just, you know, we talk a lot and then there's crazy jams and all kinds of and we would just sort of pick parts out and kind of collage them together. So that's kind of how we composed our songs, which weren't always just full of sort of non sequiturs. I guess.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions about about crafting those iconic hits. But there was a time about a couple of years ago I went. I stayed up like all night, and I watched every interview I could find that you guys did in like the late eighties and early nineties, like every TV interview, and it was so fun and the thing that suck out to me, Like I was watching you guys like on Our Senile and stuff like that, and you everyone in the band treats each other with such respect and such love, and you can see that like no one's like fighting for attention. Uh, there's such real friendship and love there, and I just you don't see it a lot often with bands, And I just wanted to know, like, has that always just that love, that friendship has not always been there? Is that something important to you guys?
Speaker 2: Well, if that's how we started, we were friends first, and so we were part of a larger group in Athens, Georgia, you know, and we were wild and went crashed parties and danced wildly and loved to dance and listen to music, and we were all kind of experimenting with music. I had a band in high school and I wrote songs, and Keith and Rickey wrote together, and Cindy played with them, and Fred did his poems and jam with Keith, so we all had some interplay, but nothing very formal at all. And so I think that friendship really know kept us going. That's what we know each other so well. And yes there have been times when yeah, it's like, uh, who's who's in the middle, you know, I'm always on the end or something. But it's always worked out. We never really plan like what are we gonna wear? It always just comes together. It's just sort of magically, Oh, we're all wearing gold and we're still I think we're better in a better place now than we ever have been, you know, doing our Vegas residencies and some festivals and special shows. You know, we really enjoy getting together and sense of humor is what's kept us kind of just laughing. And Fred's always cracking jokes and we have a band thread where he's always sending crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh that makes me so happy to hear as a fan, like your your music is so like you said, it's out there you Uh it was made through these like jam sessions when you had to go into the studio to start recording. How how was that process, because like recording a record that has to be very you know, red mention what you have to have a plane out what you're going to do. How is that transition?
Speaker 2: Well, the first record we did, we flew, we were it's kind of whirlwind we got. We were going from Athens to New York City and playing these clubs CBGB's and Hurrahs and of course Maxis Kansas City, and all of a sudden we got a record deal and we were flying to the Bahamas and being you know, produced by Chris Blackwell at this beautiful studio in the Bahamas, Compass Point, and we were thinking, oh that he's really going to make us sound really fuller and better. And Chris Blackwell put his feet up on the console and smoked a joint and said, you know, just play. And when we heard the record, well, you know, the final result was exactly how we sounded, because he wanted us to play everything we played, you know, live, and he wanted us to sound live. And that was a genius, genius decision that he made, because we thought, oh my god, we were disappointed we don't sound better, but it really captured are that just sparse kind of weirdness that we have and kind of a unique quality that only the BB fifty twos have. I think there's no band that sounds like us. He really captured that on the first album, and also the cover was very sort of captured the vibe.
Speaker 1: What a great way to be introduced to the world at large with that record. I just love it. It's got such great energy. Something else I wanted to ask you about, especially like early in your career. I love that when I watched those old interviews, you are also outspoken about these causes that are important to you, like LGBTQ, plus equality, the right to choose, Like you're go on these like pretty big talk shows and talking about this stuff at a point where not a lot of people were. And I really admired that, and it really it made me emotional watch that. And was that challenging for you guys to be like that at that point?
Speaker 2: Because when we started we made a decision. You know, we were all pretty we were all aligned politically, and we didn't really want to hit people over the heads with politics. We wanted people to dance and have fun and party. But we put our messages in there. And even in the early songs like Private Idaho has it references anyway, All our songs have little references to political things or current events. But after Ricky died of AIDS in nineteen eighty five, for a while we didn't say much because we didn't want to really, just to respect for his dad and his family. But and Cindy and was so devastated, and we didn't really say much. But then we became real activist when we started working again and we really felt like it was really important to speak out. The AIDS crisis was so devastating, so many friends lost, and so little attention paid to it by the government. It was really a real tragedy. And so you know, after that, we became really involved with PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and we did a lot of really fun stuff with PETA. And it was always really fun working with with them because they always had some crazy event like raiding the Vogue offices or you know, they launched the rather go Naked than Wear fur. We didn't do that, but the Go Gos and all these great people were involved with them, and so we just carried on. I'm now involved with we're all involved with Save the Chimps. There's an amazing ship sanctuary and you know, any cause we can do. Really, we're not aligned with one particular cause, but you know, we just try to be there for whatever we can do.
Speaker 1: And that's I mean, that's something we all love about the B fifty two is is like, you know, you make this music that is so fun, makes you want to dance, but it also you have a message that you get across it. So it has everything.
Speaker 2: And in my solo record, I definitely have some more over political stuff and both my solo records, so trying to get it out there.
Speaker 1: Radios and Rainbows, which is out now, and we'll be talking about that in a bit. I really quickly want to touch on cosmic thing. What an album in eighteen eighty eight and you recorded that after losing Ricky. So you said that that that making that album was that it was a healing process for you. How did making that album kind of help you process that grief?
Speaker 2: Well, I think after a year of just grieving and not knowing what to do, and it really seemed like that would be the end of the band, it could be, it could have been. Yeah, Well, I lived Keith Strickland moved to Woodstock and I came with him to look for houses. I went up buying a little cabin so I lived across the pond from him, and I canoed over there one day and he said, I've written some music and I think, you know, I just feel like maybe this is good. Be fifty two's music. I listened to and it was like wow. And then he played it for the rest of the band and we were all got excited about getting back together. And it was very tentative at first, and we did a lot of talking, and we did it in New York City at a studio and it was just very healing. I just feel like a lot of the songs conjured Ricky's presence, and it was a lot about times, the innocent times in Athens before we started the band, when we used to go skinny dip in at you know, just take mushrooms and crash parties and stuff. And denbat Club is kind of full of really true stories and that just sort of came out in this jam and just so easy. All the lyrics kind of formed. So Yeah, a lot of it was just really feeling like, Wow, Ricky's almost here with us, guiding us in some way. Yeah, intig it's healing.
Speaker 1: It's so beautiful to hear stuff like that. Really, it really is I mean, I got to ask you about love. Love Shack is like one of the greatest songs of all time. How so the love Shack's a real place, right, No, well.
Speaker 2: Not technically, it's more of an ideal place. There was a place called the Hawaiian Holly in Athens, and the person that opened it was he attempted to make it an integrated club, and it was for a while, and it was a dance club. I think it was probably really cool, but that I don't think that lasted too long. But it's more of a like a I lived in. The house I lived in Athens was really to me like a love shack too. It was that kind of place. It was a tin roof which was rusted, a goat shed, you know, kind of out in the country, in the middle of a field. So it was like a juke joint sort of like in the color purple, kind of one of those places that's out in the country. And that was kind of the Hawaiian I guess was the inspiration. And that is a real place, but it's it's a little more idealized than that.
Speaker 1: I love it. Kate Pearson from the B fifty twos is with us. We have so much more to get into. We're gonna take a very quick break here and we'll be right back. Stay with us. Kate Pearson from the B fifty twos with us on I smell pop culture. This is so much fun. I'm just I'm trying not to feign girls too hard here. Something I just I wanted to ask you about. One of my favorite B fifty two moments in history. Is you when you were in the Flintstones movie as the BC fifty two's Yeah, I thought that was so fun. I love the bedrock twists that you guys play in the movie. How did that happen? How did you get involved with the Flintstones?
Speaker 2: I think it was through well, we were working with Nile Rogers and Don was I'm not really even sure how that happened, but they asked us to be, you know, to do the theme and the bedrock twist and beat in the movie, and it was a blast. It was just crazy. It was. I guess I'm not remembering the year we did it because Cindy wasn't Cindy had left the band at that point after Cosmic Thing, so we were it was just Fred and Keith and me and it was so crazy. It was in this like a quarry. It was like a quarry in La and it was Rack Quarry and they had transformed it totally into Glenstonesville. You know, it's just amazing the detail. You don't even see it all in the movie, the signage and everything. And Fred and I got to go and with this little car so we moved with your feet. It was just it was really and the outfits and everything was just totally really fun.
Speaker 1: It all looks so good in the in the fur and everything in the you know, the pelts, the fake pelts of course fake fur. Yes, yes, yes, it looks so good. And also I just want to shout out you guys did the Rocos Modern Life theme song. That is so wild to me.
Speaker 2: That was with our friend pet Or when he used to play with the band for a long time, sort of keyboard player and guitar for the band.
Speaker 1: Awesome. I just learned that recently. That was, I mean like a couple of months ago. I was like, oh my god, it's the be fifty twos. Like that.
Speaker 2: He launched out after the band after he was with the B fifty twos. He has his own band and he also does a lot of work in television.
Speaker 1: I mean so much talent. I saw you guys on the tour with the Casey and the Sunshine Band, and that was so much fun. I had the best time. You had a lobster come out on stage. It's just such a blast that now you're doing a residency at the Venetian and there's there are more shows in twenty twenty five, April eleventh to the nineteen at the Venetian in Las Vegas. How has the Vegas residency been? Are you having fun doing that?
Speaker 2: That's been really fun. I'm not wild to go to Vegas, and we played Vegas so many times. I think we've played at every hotel. I don't know. We've stayed at so many different hotels and played at so many different events in Vegas. None of us are gamblers, really, Yeah, spread plays the penny slots. But yeah, it's been great. The Venetian Theater is beautiful, it's a perfect size. The hotel's great, it's got great restaurants, and you just get a little rhythm going. We're not there for too long. It's just really a weak residency. We're there maybe twelve days, and you know, you try to get out out of the Strip area and go see a canyon or two. And we've made a couple of canyons, and yeah, it's been a really nice experience. And to stay in one place and do shows, it's just you can't beat it. It's something we've wanted to do for a long time and finally, you know, we have. We've done I think four or five and we're gonna do another one in April. So it's been really fun. And the fans, you know, there's friends that come and fans can come to us, and it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: It's so great. If you have a chance, let everyone listening, you got to go see the BA fifty two is there's just like a muss. That show is so much fun and that you are out on its solo tour yourself, and as people hear this, you're in the middle of your tour. You have a couple of dates left in Florida February twenty sixth and Clearwater the twenty seventh, in Orlando on the twentieth and fort Launderdale and your new album Radios and Rainbows so good. I love taking Me Back to the Party. I love that song so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, that's that's fun. One.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Tell us about the about your solo album, this new album you released a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Well, I had the different songs from different periods of time that I recorded. One every day is Halloween. I recorded with Sea and Sam Dixon back when we did my first solo record. That was the first we worked on. I don't know why I didn't put it on guitars and microphones, but it wound up on radios and rainbows and I had to kind of pull all these songs from different co writers and it was a little bit of a process getting everything together. But the bfifty twos, then I was ready to get it all together and I had it together. But we did our solo I mean our final the farewell so called farewell tour I like to call it, but we did stop touring. But so we did our farewell tour. And then was the pandemic pandemic happened, and or was it the pandemic first? I can't even remember, because the pandemic is when I started watching Gilmore Girls. But anyway, it was a lot of work that with the Beefy two's, I didn't want to release it during the pandemic. So it's a lot of time passed, but I'm already working on another record. I have songs and I'm writing, and so I'm hoping to put out another one much sooner than the lapse between the other two records.
Speaker 1: So I love it. I absolutely love it. How would you describe if you had to sum up the music of Radios and Rimas, how would you summarize that project?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's like alt pop. I mean, it's definitely got a pop feel, but it's definitely has a twist to it, and I have some songs that are political, and because I worked with different co writers, there's a there is a lot of variation in the kind of mood and there's like a dance track and you know, sort of an anthem kind of songs and then funky songs and a dub sort of song. So there's a lot of variation, which I love and I've always admired, you know, just being able to put any artists who can put together like really different tracks. It's not samey at all, and so I describe it as eclectic.
Speaker 1: I love it. Was that writing with so many with different co writers, was that difficult or to like get into a groove with each different person or was it exciting? How would you describe that?
Speaker 2: Well, at first that when I did guitars and microphones and I worked with Sea, and at first we would drive to different most people she had worked with before, Chris Braid and just some different people I didn't know, and we would drive there and it was like, oh my god, this is terrifying. And then she started really blowing up her career and I started going by myself to these different co writers and it was magical. It worked every time. It was so much fun, and it just sort of happened like they would always do the instrumentation. The few exceptions of a Bloo McCaulay who wrote Evil Love, he had suggestions of melody and a couple of things, but it was just working with him was great. And it's so surprising when you work with someone new. You don't know where they're coming from, and it just the way the songwriting kind of it's a surprise and that's really fun and you really have to put yourself out there. It's a little scary, but it always worked. Knock one would, so you know, if it didn't work, that's okay. But it did always work, and I always clicked with you know, I just love working with other musicians and collaborating is really my thing, and I love doing the melody and harmonies, and so it was a really fun process. And now I'm writing some songs that are just just me writing on guitar and piano. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to hear that. I cannot wait. The harmonies of Kate Pearson are just like gifts from Keaven. You know, I love it so much. So we're going to talk Gilmore Girls here in a second. And that's why, that's why one's here. We all love Gilmore Girls. You kind of ran your you ran your own Dragonfly into a certain extent. I mean, you had a bunch of motels. That's something that I loved learning about you. Kate's Lazy Cottage, Kate's Lazy Cape. Can you tell us about your experience as a motel mogul a mogul hotel?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, well I don't really. It's another unplanned thing. I was just driving down the road here in Catskills and I saw this airstream for sale, and then I saw this for sale sign on this property that was on this beautiful Ahsopus Creek, and I walked just drove in and walked around, and I saw these goldfinches flying around by the river, and I was just captivated by the land. And I thought, wouldn't it be fun to, you know, decorate all these rooms and have a theme, and it wouldn't it be great? And my wife Monica wound up in a knee deep and well up to her neck and getting helping me get it all started. And everything in the rooms I bought either on the road or locally. It was all filled with like high low, mid century modern. And this lazy meadow was built in nineteen fifty two, so we themed it mid century. And Monica really ran it. She just ran the whole thing. And I would go there and sort of primp up the deck de core stuff. But she was really the force that made it happen. But after years and years of we've had it since what two thousand, I mean nineteen ninety, I can't remember when we opened it, but a long time, and she was really just tired of doing that wasn't her dream. She really does pottery and jewelry. She makes jewelry beautiful, jewelry and pottery. So we did sell that recently, and we sold Lazy Desert, which so we had airstreams. We had six air streams by the creek and we had a flood and we moved those out to calif Foornian had Lazy Desert and we had Lazy Cabin and Lazy Shack and Lazy Lodge. But now all we have is a place on Cape Cod, which we're thrilled to have.
Speaker 1: So well, if you ever find yourself and keep Cod dear listeners, check in to Kate's place and have yourself a good times.
Speaker 2: Just one house.
Speaker 1: It's okay, okay, uh well, I gotta go check it out.
Speaker 2: So fun while it lasted, it was really fun having Lazy Meadow and people were so thrilled to stay there, and I would go there and meet fans that were staying there. We had all kinds of famous people there. Didavantie stayed there and oh it was amazing. But that era is over.
Speaker 1: Incredible, but like it just it was one of those things like, oh, of course Cape Hers from the B fifty twos is running this kitchy cool motel. Of course that is happening, you know, So fun, so awesome. All right, Gilmore Girls, you're a fan? Yes, you said you started watching it during the pandemic. Was that the first time you'd seen the show?
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw it was all rerun so we could majorly binge. Yeah, and I got it mixed up with the Gibson I thought it was Gibson Girls, and I thought it was about you know, those girls with the hair, and it was Victorian or whatever, and I thought, why would I want to watch that. I thought it was just something totally different, and enough people recommended it that we started watching it. We got so into it. I mean, we just wanted to live in stars Hollow during the pandemic. It was such a comforting thing. And you know, sometimes you watch a show and you feel like they're my friends. Yes, Rory and Laura I and I love the banter and Amy Sherman Palladino, the the creator, just an amazing reportee. They had, you know, just that bad of four fast and I'm a big fan of the marvelous missus maisl Yes, So during the pandemic, we totally binge watched Gilmore Girls, and we loved it, and we were just blown away when they were wearing the beeft two's T shirts and then they started making references and then they played our music. They played Rome and I can't remember what other songs they played, but they even had some dialogue like do you know the Bee fifty two's and so it was Blew Me Away, one of my favorite shows, and then they're mentioning us.
Speaker 1: It was just like, yeah, I mean, clearly a'm Sherm Paladine is a big fan. But I was going to ask, had you before seeing it, like on seeing the shirt on screen or hearing it, had you heard that you were mentioned in Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 2: No, we were just watching it and all of a sudden, and I know they mentioned the Go Gos and you know, they had to really hip kind of playlist on that show, so I guess it was inevitable. But they really did mention the be fifty twos a lot. And when they wore the T shirts, I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I saw there was a post on a on the Internet of a fan is trying to recreate the exact shirt that Laurai's wearing, because I don't know if that was like a limited shirt or something, but like it's you know, it's like Yellow and has a.
Speaker 2: I think it was from the first album. I think the first album cover on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but sail on our website. Heybefitchy tes dot com check it out. So, so who's your favorite? Do you have a favorite? Gilmorgl's character.
Speaker 2: I liked well, I like all of them. I mean, I guess you know, you gotta love Lorli. I mean, I just loved all of them. Luke was great. I loved Emily Gilmore. That was always great when they went to the Posh House behave her Self. I love that dynamic with her mother and Sookie. Was it, Yes, that was Melissa McCarthy. Yeah, that was pretty amazing. Yeah, I think, you know, I just loved Rory and Laura l I. I mean, they were the mainstay of the show, and I love that the sort of sameness of it where they always went to hung out at Luke's diner. It was just something very comforting and they were always hanging out. There was kind of like friends, I guess, where they were always hanging together and the quick kind of dialogue was really captivating and fun, and it just was a very I don't know. We just stuck with it through every we couldn't believe there were so many seasons that we could bid. We're just like so happy about it.
Speaker 1: What's your reaction when you like hear the V fifty two is mentioned? I mean, this must happen all the time, Like if you're watching a movie or TV share something and you see someone either wearing a shirt or hear the ment or hear the song, Like, how does that feel?
Speaker 2: It's kind of like when we first you know, started and you first hear your song on the radio, and it's like we were in a car and we heard rock Lobster being played on the radio and we screamed. We're like, oh my god. It's kind of like that. You see something in a movie where they have a beef just poster, or they play Rome in the beginning of what was the Denzil Washington movie that they just played Rome in the beginning of it. It's oh, yeah, is there there's a movie knocked up? Right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, they played rock Lobster like during the sex scene for just the longest time, and that was really awesome scene, you know, with the bffty two is playing with rock Lobster playing so so appropriate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so cool, something that like blew my mind that I read. And speaking of like your influence on popular culture, I mean John Lennon, big fan of yours and rock Lobster, is specifically influencing his album Double Fantasy. That must you influenced a Beatle. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean the Beatles were my absolute idols growing up, and I had a big button that said I Love John. It was a lenticular, it had his face, and then it was I Love John. And my friends that we had a band together called the Sun Donuts, and we were all huge Beatle fans, and I first heard them on the radio before they even came over here, and I told my friends, oh my god, this band is coming. I love them. It's going to be great. So to hear John Lennon actually just the fact that he just knew of us, but the fact that we influenced him and Yoko because we were big Yogo fans. Yeah, twos were really into Yoko so as an artist, as an amazing artist that she is, and also as a musician. So we were like, oh my god, this is just the most amazing thing. It was thrilling, unbelievable. Really, I still can't believe it.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, that's it's it's like, I don't I can't think of like a higher accolade than that, you know, like it's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I said, it's just hard to even realize. I really wish I had met John Lennon, and I had met Yoko of course, and I've I met Paul McCartney and I met Ringo once too.
Speaker 1: So wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Paul McCartney is bearing fall with Peter. So we got to sort of open for Paul McCartney one time and he we got to talk to him, and he was so nice and so easy going. And I looked behind me and realized there was this barrier and all these people were like this and we were just sitting there.
Speaker 1: Chat so surreal. That's wild, that's so cool. Uh. Do you have this is this is a hard question, I I know, but do you have like is there one memory from your experience in the B fifty two's that stands out to you, like like like something that like when you look back on the time of the band, something that always comes to the forefront of your mind.
Speaker 2: Oh, all, it's all rushing back at me. I think some of the well, I guess the very early, you know, first show of course that we did at Maxis Kansas City, that was just unforgettable because there were only a few people in the audience. We got people dancing and that wasn't really the thing. It was black clad, you know, people in the leather jackets leaning against the walls and being kind of like very critical, and people started dancing because we brought a crew up from Athens. Of course, that started the party going. And that's super memorable. You know, it's just a punk scene. And we brought our friends up and one of our friends like had a fight with Lydia lunch because they said she stole their purse. I mean, it was just it was a just fun scene and meeting all these other bands, meeting Patty Smith and Blondie and Talking Heads, and it was just an amazing scene. And I just that's so memorable when you first start out and you're just you know, new to something. And then I think all the festivals that we did, the US Festival and Rock and Rio, those were really memorable.
Speaker 1: Rock and real huge, I mean, and yeah, and you guys up on the big stage. It's just incredible. Thank you so much. You've been so generous with your time, Kate Pearson, I am so grateful for you to come on with us and talk Gilmore Girls and talk about your your incredible career. I'm just I'm such a big fan. I also I brought my Bee fifty two's hat. I didn't want to be like super weird, but I do have a roll UPSTRA had to. I just personally as a fan. I just want to thank you so much for sharing music with the world and putting all that great energy out there and these great messages, and we just are so grateful worldwide for you and what you've made.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It was great talking to you, really fun. I love talking gil More Girls.
Speaker 1: Well, Bill, come back anytime again. Kate Peterson from the B fifty two is Her new album, Radios and Rainbows is out now and you can see her on tour in Florida in February. Thanks again so much. Follow us, Yes, I'll see it starts Hello, Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeart radio dot com.