Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: So it might take you ten years to figure out what we've done forty five times already, right, and now I bring that intellectual property into the company and say here's how we're going to design this a little differently. Here's how we're going to change your compensation plans for your salespeople to actually incentivize them to give you more stable revenues or or or you know, more visibility into the future revenues and earnings of that business that you may not have figured out or may not figure out because you may not be in an environment a circle of people who have dealt with that before. And so that's why the expertise that we bring is often more valuable than the capital.
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being forced bad drop drop might drop bad drop drop.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, welcome back, e y L. This is a very special episode.
Speaker 6: Let's call it the Icon Adition.
Speaker 7: It's also the earliest episode that we never.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought it was your this early well, I.
Speaker 5: Mean once we got the toime slot make it work up twenty four hours so and I did get the memo.
Speaker 3: Well you didn't get Brandy.
Speaker 7: Yes, the blue blazer with the reepeace suit.
Speaker 3: Look, yes, this is the brand. This is the new brand. That's the new brand, This new brand, the Icon addition brand, rebrand. It's called it's called rebrand.
Speaker 5: So you know this this is it's a it's a very full circle moment for us, because I think probably three maybe four years ago, right, So a lot of this started for us on social media on my Instagram, and I used to write a lot like write like blogs, but I put it on Instagram, so I would write about a whole bunch of different topics. And one of the topics that I wrote about was you. You had an art you had a cover of Forbes and thinking, my yet like three or four years ago, so I put the cover up and then I wrote like a three page, three paragraph description of the whole situation. And then my whole point of it was at that time, specifically, I didn't feel that enough people knew who you were.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember that, you remember it. I remember that he said you got to meet this guy.
Speaker 5: That's great, that's crazy. So so you know, I was real passionate. I kind of like, you know, we put too much emphasis on sports entertainment, and you know, but this is the most wealthiest black person in American history, and a lot of people don't know who is.
Speaker 7: So long story short, fast forward.
Speaker 5: Now I think a lot of people do know, especially after the Morehouse situation. We'll talk about that, but still and still and still. The wealthiest Black person in America.
Speaker 6: Four years ago was true four years later, still.
Speaker 3: And still.
Speaker 5: That's an accomplishment and not through sports or entertainment. I think that that's something that's extremely important, especially for young people, to understand that, you know, you can reach levels of success in our culture and our communities and not necessarily do it through sports and entertainment.
Speaker 2: I think that was one of the pillars that when we started, was like, let's show everybody what they can be, the possibilities in the realms of things, they can be outside of those through things which we knew that we could be great at. But let's show I'm somebody who's doing something that's far beyond that and it's succeeding at a different level as well.
Speaker 6: So definitely one of the pillars of Ernalisia.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Robert Smith, CEO and founder of Vista Equity Fund. He is actually a very prolific person because if you read his bio, it's like forty five different things. He's a chairman of Carnegie Hall. Yes, he's a family man. That's probably the most That's what I should have said.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 5: He used to he used to do a variety of different things. So he used to be an engineer and then he used to actually work on the corporate side for financing as well. So it's an extremely impressive background because most engineers that that doesn't usually mix. That's like, you know what I'm saying, a weird combinations. Yeah, yeah, Wall Street and engineers, like at the same time, he could build your house and give you finance.
Speaker 3: It's a little it's a little closer than you think.
Speaker 5: Unpack some of that, Okay, but this is going to be a very dynamic conversation, something that you know, extremely excited about. And I gotta tell this story. I told this story in La but this is something that I think is very important to tell because the.
Speaker 7: First time that we met him was in Harlem and uh.
Speaker 5: Guy Steve Harvey, So he invited us and you were doing something for colon cancer.
Speaker 3: I believe for African American man cancer.
Speaker 5: So it was something that you know, I always remembered that moment because it was in the projects and Wagnant Projects in Harlem, and that's where he chose to actually do that and educate and he brought a bunch of celebrities out and that was something that was very impressive to me because it wasn't on Wall Street, it wasn't you know, in Times Square. It was you could tell that it was really for the community, and it was really a community based initiative.
Speaker 7: And we'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 5: And when we met him, you know, we obviously are introducing ourselves and the first thing he said to us is I love you guys.
Speaker 6: So I don't even think we got to say who we were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like.
Speaker 5: So his his humility was infectious and still is and you know, his charitable arms is just a million miles long. So I wanted the public to know that because a lot of times people don't know different things that happen. And it's not for you to say that, but it is for us to champion that, and that's that's important.
Speaker 3: So that's important to me. Yeah, and us telling our own story. So you you play a very important role in part in our community. It's not just the education of our community about our community, but helping us understand how to uplift each other. And you know, our community gets attacked from all sides for multiple reasons, but it has to be it has to come down to our community defending our community. In that context, you guys pay a very important role. And as dynamic is the media is today, your role is even more important. So keep doing what you're doing and keep leaning in hard.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 6: So that was an amazing moment.
Speaker 7: Thank you for joining us. Okay, we can get to it.
Speaker 5: So you grew up in Denver, Yeah, in a very diverse neighborhood. Is they call it the Harlem of the West?
Speaker 3: Is that what they? Yeah? Five points? Yeah, can you talk about that? Yeah? Sure. You know, we as African Americans have had just an interesting journey and you know, in points in time you can kind of frame where different things happened to our community, and you know, things that we did of our community. And the thing I always point to is our not only resilience, but the ability to create and create things new and influence and change. I mean, a lot of American culture is coming out of our experiences, and music, of course, is one of the principal drivers of that. You know, I always say I grew up in a beloved community, and you know, it sounds like you guys grew up in that as well, a place where in my case it was completely segregated community. But you know the needs of the children in that community were being satisfied by the adults in that community. In those needs of love and guidance and instruction and everything from learning how to play at the piano to learning about science and in my case like rocketry and in learning sports. I mean that came from the members of our community. But you also saw the adults in that community defend the community and also try to make more progress. And the Five Points area is the area one of the first areas that was settled by African Americans in Colorado as we moved across this country, and typically it was you know, at the end of you know, the emancipation period. My family, many of them went into Pueblo, Colorado, but they came from you know, Oklahoma or Tennessee, right, and you guys are all familiar with Greenwood, and part of our family tree comes out of there. Some of them actually owned the you know, one of the pool halls and one of the one of the hardware stores. And as that happened in the early nineteen hundreds in that massacre, they moved into Pueblo, Colorado and then from there. So I'm fourth generation from Colorado, and so my family are families of teachers and educators and nurses and doctors. Think about that, right, you know, providing I'm the fourth generation of my family to go to college. Wow, right, There's very few families in America where it's fours generations that have gone to college. And so what I saw growing up was a community that had a lot of wholeness but was again being attacked on any size. But I saw the adults like my parents, my father and my mother, you know, pulled together organizations not just a fan to defend, but to advance. And one of the most important areas of advancement was of course education. You know, being educated it was critically important to success and to creating you know, financial opportunity and to frankly create stability in the community. Both my parents were teachers, elementary school teachers. They both ultimately ended up getting doctorates in education, both in them being principles. But I look also to the work they did civically in our in our in our family. Back then, it snowed a lot in Denver. You know, it's the whole climate change dynamic. I don't think we're addressing in this. We can do another. And so so we as kids always got excited about snow days, right and stay home. Our parents didn't why because at that time, our neighborhood wouldn't get the snowplow to come through it for three or four days after it's snow. Now you think about it, where your parents are trying to go to work, but they can't even get down the street. They can't get to the bus stop, they can't. You know, for those of us who had cars, you couldn't even drive because it was just snowed in. So I saw my father lead an effort and it created a civic association and they literally went and campaigned and lobbied so that we at least got snowplows the same day as other communities in you know, in our city. I remember, and then they put one stripe. They'd come down and do one stripe down the main street, and we still had to get to the main street and you would get out and then okay, great, we got on a bus to go across town because they were desegregating schools using bussing, and we'll talk about that in a minute. And you'd go to the neighborhood where the better resource school inner streets were clean and dry, snowpiled up on the side are gone, and are still had just one strip down the center. So when you talk about economic disadvantage, systemic economic oppression, these are the things that you don't think about on the one hand, but if your community can't get to work, it has a major impact. And we had a lot of wage workers, so it wasn't like, oh, everybody was on salary. You were wage workers. If you didn't show up that day, you didn't get paid that day. If you didn't get paid that day, you were now trying to figure out how to you know, make groceries and pay pay you know, ensure that your kids ate or clothed and those sort of things. And I saw the community say this, we're that's not going to stand right and make take a stand of that. I saw my father also pull together resources so our local y MCA, our kids had a chance to go to summer camps and to go into the mountains, and we raised money to build a gym so we could actually have a place, you know, where our kids could actually you know, recreate in peace and also with facilities. But it was them taking that on and making a community project in us. You know, going out and selling candy and all that, you know, to to ensure that that happened. And it was i'll call it a spirit of self determination that very much was part of the fabric of that community. And you saw people looking out for the kids. That wasn't perfect, like everything, you know, nothing is perfect, but you felt loved, you felt cared for it, you felt protected, and you saw adults coming together for the betterment of that community, not episodically when something bad happened, but on a regular basis. And that's what I remember, and those are the things that really inform how I like to live my life. And I have an opportunit do it a little bigger platform than growing up there. But it's also i'll call it rich with community life. You know, the music, the you know, we'd have the Friday night fish fries and you guys too young members. We used to do these people take slide pictures on slides and slide projector you guys left.
Speaker 2: You don't know, I know, I know, I feel like that happened in elementary school slide projected.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but but but people would go to people's homes and you know, bring food and pot lucks and watch slide projectors of people's what they did that summer, and and then of course play cards and you know, you know, drink whiskey and soda, pop it all but and play music. And I mean that's it was very vibrant. And I just remember that. And that wasn't like, like I said, episodic. That was kind of just the way we lived. So it was actually it was actually pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It sounds like I mean, just having the foundation set, like you said, most of us don't come from, you know, families that went to college. You had two educators in the home. You spoke about that, the impact your dad had. I remember hearing the stories about the impact that your mom writing the checks to the United Negro College Fund and what that profound impact had on you.
Speaker 6: I want to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: And Bus thirteen, like you kind of alluded to it, but the importance of that and how you know, having one bus in the community and the impact that that had on you, and also the future of some of the people that were on that bus and how you know they excelled as opposed to the people who didn't make it.
Speaker 6: Can you tell about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's you know again, it's kind of the great segue into you know, the importance of resources in a community and the importance of guidance in that context. You know, we were at a time it was a dawning of uh call it the civil rights movement in action. So you know, there were there were you know, we spilled a lot of blood, and a lot of our blood was spilled in the streets. And one of the things we got out of it was Brown versus Board of Education. And now I was like, okay, now we're going to desegregate schools. How are you gonna do that when everybody lives in segregating neighborhoods. So it was in Denver many other places. It was a thing called bussing, right, they called it force bussing, but it was bussing. And so now you know, the cities took here. They bought a bunch of busses, started figuring out, Okay, who from this community, who goes to this local school? My dad was a principal at the local school, and now you're going to rebust across town to another school. All right, Well, right before this was to happen, some racists didn't think This was a good idea and burned like a third of the buses.
Speaker 2: Ernes what's up, look Cardier, Rolex, Gucci, Prouda, Jordan, Adidas, Potega Veneda at eBay. It's real or it's getting the fake out ebased team of luxury authenticators and making sure you never get faked over again. Watches inspected by watch officionados, sneakers checked by legit sneakerheads, handbags of zam by handback connoisseurs, and jewelry in the scopes of expert gemologists. These authenticators are leaders in their field, with meticulous eyes, making sure your piece of robs as authentic as your style and worthy of your collection. As experts, they know the true difference between a real and a fake. Reel carries that rare, distinguished feel, the weight of pure platinum, exquisite scent of tog leather, the tight stitching on a pair of dunks, the brilliance of real diamonds. So rest assured your Rolex moves like a Rolex should and that colorway on your Jordan Royals will always be on point. The details inspected, the fakes rejected, ensure your next purchase is the real deal. With EBA's authenticity guarantee. Everyone deserves real physitebay dot com for terms.
Speaker 3: Okay, so now all of a sudden, fewer people are going to get busted, just as real nature. So rather than my whole neighborhood getting bussed, only one bus came to my neighborhood, and so just so happened to hit on a corner down the block for me. And so the kids in that four block radius were the first ones to go to desegregated schools. Okay, and I got talked about better resource schools. And when I look at the kids who were on that bus versus the kids who were two blocks away, okay, when it was bus number thirteen, like I say, ironically right, it was those kids have a higher percentage of professionals went to Ivy League schools became you know, doctors and professors and scientists versus a blocks of just a few blocks away. How much down there were some professionals that came out of there, but a much lower percentage. I mean, it is a stark contrast. And it's because that K in that case K through six education was so different than what you saw in our local neighborhoods and because they were still you know, separate, equal, but it wasn't you see, to mean the teaching, the capacity, the care, you know. And we had some phenomenal teachers in our community, and some of the teachers through that also ended up in those better resource schools because it was that as well. And I remember Missus Olivier third grade teacher, African American woman and you could only after American teacher in that school, but she looked at for every kid of color in that school. And I'm telling you that's one of the most important things that made a huge difference in our educational upbringing and gave us a chance to launch and go into the high schools and go into the colleges that we ended up in because we had great fundamental education K through six.
Speaker 5: So I want to get into how you've actually built what you have acquired, but I want to start with your engineering career. So you was at Craft and you were at Goodyear as an engineer, yeah, and then you transitioned to go them in sex.
Speaker 7: So can you talk about that, like how did that?
Speaker 3: How did you go.
Speaker 5: From being an engineer from Craft and Goodman and Goodyear to being an investment banking world of Goldman Sex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a point to the importance of media. Okay, So I will get into later kind of what this is and how the engineering informs all that we do and has created the enterprise that it is that can grow at scale sustainably because of the engineering background, mindset and design points. But the transition came from media. Okay. So at the time, I was an engineer working in a plant in upstate New York for Goodyear Time Rubber Facility, and I had a collection of friends and we would get together. We'd read I mean, like, okay, we weren't just watching football because you know, we had a book club, but to African Americans, you know, we had a book club back then, reading different things. And one of the guys brought to kind of the book club a Black enterprise magazine and on that were a bunch of blacks on Wall Street the first time, like, well what is Wall Street? Because I was I had no idea what Wall Street was. And they had all these guys on Wall Street and it had you know guy you know, John Newton Dahl, this guy you know, Ray McGuire and Stan O'Neill and George Vanantum and and I'm like, well, who are these cats, and what's this Wall Street all about? And why are they undercovers this magazine? Right? What's that? And so we start reading and understanding and talking about it. I mean that's importance of community too, where you can kind of bounce some ideas off and what's this all about? And started really understanding that there was a whole different world outside of engineering, which is what I thought the world was, right, And so I started thinking about, well, maybe I should go to graduate school. So as I started looking at different you know, ELM Men's. Business school looked interesting, law school looked interesting. Uh, And I decided, well, I'm going to go to Columbia. I went to Cornell undergrad and I started looking around and decided Columbia it was a good place for me to go. It was fortunate to get in.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And outside of the good fortune, I did well my first year, so I was top student in my class. I had to come back for an award right for after, you know, business schools two years. So after the first year, had come back with this award during the summer, you know, the summer graduation. Uh. So I come back and lo and behold one of those guys from the magazine is actually the keynote speaker for the summer graduates God the named of John Newtondhal. And you know, they go and give my background and all that sort of stuff, and you know, my award, I get that at the end of the thing. You know, he gives his speech and pulls me and I says, hey, hey, hey. He said, you have an interesting background engineer. All. So, he said, have you ever thought about a career in investment banking. I'm like, well, I said, you know, there's a bunch of investment bankers in my class. I don't like any of them. And he says, well, he looks at me. He's like, well why not. I said, well, they think they know everything, and they're pretty arrogant. I said, I'm an engineer. We do know everything. It bothers us, right, And I thought I was a jokester then, but and I said, in all honesty, I said, I don't really know what y'all do. And he said, well, why don't you come have lunch with me? I said sure. And being in Columbia, one of the advantages of being at Columbia business schools, you're you know, a subway right away from Wall Street. So I go down and sit with John, and I'm expecting, you know, half hour forty five minutes. This guy's aren't gonna give me any time. And we just start talking. He's asking me my experiences. I'm telling them all the stuff I was inventing and doing and all that sort of stuff, and I guess he thought I was entertaining. But at the end of it, he said, let me introduce you some people. And he picks up the phone and he calls, you know, Ray McGuire. He picks up and he calls, you know, George van Anson, picks up the phony calls you know. Stand O'Neil's like, hey, there's a guy in my office, really interesting background. You guys ought to interview him and talk to him about a career investment banking and so, you know, as a scientist with what you do is you analyze data and try to come to some conclusion and then act upon it was with some activity. So now I'm entering my fall of my second year business school, and I'm trying to understand what this investment banking thing is all about. Sure, I'm taken classes of finance and marketing and doing well, obviously you know statistics and accounting, but I didn't understand the industry and the business of it. And these brothers all brought me in and had conversations with me and introduced me throughout the organization. I ended up having over one hundred interviews with people on Wall Street, Goldman, Sachs, you know, Morgan Stanley, you know, it was called a place called Banker's Trust the time JP Morgan. And through that, I said, Wow, the business that I really like is mergers and acquisitions, right, Okay, because if you think about M and A, it's board level discussions, it's CEO level cut discussions, and it's how assets move across this planet. Right. So I said, well, that looks really interesting to me. And this is another one of those life lessons. This is something you don't learn in school. It's an apprenticeship business. Someone has to decide that they're going to make you an apprentice in the M and A business and teach and train you how to do this. You can read all the books in the world, but you actually have to practice it, okay. You actually have to develop a set of skills that have to be honed through a set of interactions that create fact patterns that you can rely on to make judgments going forward. And so from that I said, at the time, they are only really maybe four principal M and A shops, Goldman being one that I thought actually that you can get better training there than anywhere else. And Goldman at the time had really prided itself on this teamwork dynamic, and some of these other firms at the time, if you worked for a partner in M and A, that's the partner you worked for for the next four or five six years. And if you were favored, then you do great, and if you were not, it'd be tough sledding, right. And you look at those departments, there are very few people who look like y'all and me and say, well will I get that experience? And while Goldman was not perfect, like no place is, you would work for multiple partners, so you work on a deal with this partner, and a deal and this partner at the same time, so it was you'd have six seven different partners or vice presidents that you worked for. And so there you had a chance what I call build your fat pattern of experiences through the lens of different practitioners. And I thought that would actually enhance my ability to be expert at that craft. So that's why I went to Golden Sachs.
Speaker 2: So in M and A, I want to talk about that because at that time, I mean, you have the background chemical engineering, you've been creating, you've been inventing. What is that like now, Because at the time, if I read it correctly, you're the other guy that's focusing solely on technology because you can see it, this is going to be the thing that changes the future. So you're seeing Apple, you're seeing Microsoft, and you're seeing eBay and all these things. Before they started, what was that like trying to explain to the investment the banking side, like, hey guys, this is my expertise.
Speaker 6: You guys should trust me on this. This is going to be the thing.
Speaker 3: So that's interesting. So when I started, you know, I was in New York and I had I've had I had baby food businesses, I had paper companies, all these sort of things, and it's the dawning of introducing technology into the industrial environment. Okay, so you guys, you know back in the day, and let's let's unpack this. That's actually pretty interesting. Back in the when I was at Goodyear or craft. Very few companies then were actually you know in well, they wanted to, but they didn't necessarily have the investment resources to implement computing capacity into the environment. So you guys are digital natives, Okay, my generation are digital immigrants. And so at the time, if you wanted to use the computer, it was like one thousand dollars for a half hour of computer use. You'd have to sign up for it, and you could go use it, and it'd be somebody standing behind you waiting for your thirty minutes to come up, and then they'd come on and you have to go sign up again to use the computer because it was that scarce of a resource. And so one of my early projects, for instance, I was working uh and running a plant in in you know, Niagara Falls, New York, and I was responsible for implementing some computer systems and computer control systems. So the way systems work before that were analog and there were individuals. So what would happen is, you know, you're going to run a process and you're going to charge the reactor with you know, with the reagents, with the catalyst, and you kind of you know, put the steam on and stir it and then the reaction would kind of take off, right, and depending upon the rates of change and all that, you sometimes you need to cool it or heat it up. So there'd be what I call there would be an you know, a an episodic observation of the event, and then you'd have an episodic you know, intervention. So you change something and it would change the control dynamic. And like I said, if you weren't the control or operator, wasn't at lunch or you know, talking about football or whatever it is, every dynamic was different because it wasn't consistent because you had that human engagement as the actual control system. Well, if you put a computer system in, it's measuring those observations thousands of times a second, and you could also then put in systems of control where you could have interventions thousands of times a second. So you went from control dynamics that look like this to control dynamics that look like this. And for mathematicians, everything under the curve is waste. Right, So now you look at that and like so and first implementation I did of that of the plant, increase the productivity of that plant by twenty six percent. Okay, that's a whole shift a day by putting a control system. So now you understand the power and the productivity that software actually brings to a plant. Now take that and put it in an office managing an insurance claim. You're an insurance adjuster. You know, the car is wrecked. Back in the day, you'd have to go to a place and they kind of take pictures of it and write it up, put it in an envelope, send it to somebody in the home office, and maybe you were on vacation, sit on that desk for a week, maybe got to the right person, and then you say, well, you know, you didn't do some right, so you got to send it back to you and ask more questions. And that happened back and forth, and from that you to justin and say, okay, here's here's how much the you know, approximate value is. You send me a check. I get mad because it wasn't enough to fix the car. And that was the whole process. How things now introduce a computer in that environment?
Speaker 2: Ern Your leisure is supported by First Republic Bank. Have you ever experienced a relationship with a banker who was available to answer all your questions even by phone or email? Doesn't exist? You say it, does it First Republic. At First Republic, everyone gets a personal banker who's ready to sit down and answer your questions, no matter how complex. And did you know that First republic commitment to extraordinary service extends beyond its line. First Republic is committed to strengthening the communities it serves through meaningful partnerships with innovative nonprofit organizations. To learn more, visit First Republic dot com. That's First Republic dot Com member FDIC Equal Housing Lender.
Speaker 3: Where through the adjustment process in some respects you have an adjuster who's actually looking at it and filling it out. But now you can actually take your phone and take a picture of it. Based on the make of the car, estimate exactly how many hours it's going to take, what's the bill of materials, what's the cost, and so the efficiency from an insurance production like this and now to that. Okay, that hit every single industry. That's what we're doing right now. So software is now the most productive tool introducing our business environment last fifty years on like we will be for the next fifty. So now I go to Goldman Sachs. They're now in the process of you know, we're using different spreadsheet programs. You guys don't remember because you've used Excel all your life, haven't you. You've been paying Microsoft thirty years for a project for a product that you use back in the day. There are five or six others, the one called Lotus, there's Multiplan, there's Physical Asterisk, a bunch of different and so there's always a fight ask to which one of these programs you would use. But once you consolidated on one, the efficiency of not having to move you know, my project which I did in Lotus to yours as didn't Excel because we're working on a team together. That's another efficiency that came out of the system by consolidating. So I'm now at Goldman, I'm now working on a bunch of different M and A deals and started to see what I'll call the recognition of efficiency that can come from consolidation on platforms. One of what we would compare these to put these things together called common stock comparisons, where you get up in the morning and you'd have to put together forty five different stock comparisons for work that you're doing, and you're sitting across the aisle working on or you know, down the hall working on something similar and you're doing exact same work he's doing. You just don't know that you're doing it, and you're both see all the inefficiency. Whereas now, once you have done that, how do I share it with you? And how do you you know you can do this part in you that but it makes it much more efficient. Well, computer systems do that. So now we're getting more efficient and how we're processing deals and applications in all industries and so now it's the dawning of what is technology being mainstam stay in real So the head of our department calls and he's like, I think I want to start a tech group. He's like, would you like to be part of that? I said, yeah, So where is it? We're going to do this in California? He wanted to do it in LA. I said, no, the suit in San Francisco. He lived in LA and I'm like, well, Samcisco's kind of you know, Silicon Valley all that sort of stuff. I said, that's where I go. So we agreed. I was our first M and a banker on the ground focused on technology for Golden Sachs in San Francisco, Okay, and so so from there I advised, you know, like I said, build companies like Apple Computer and Texas Instruments and Hewlett Packard and eBay and Yahoo. And what was amazing to me because again it's the dawning of an industry. That's how they all did things differently. In the world of a chemical engineer, if you went into almost any production facility where they're you know, an ortho cracker where they're taking oil and making different types of fuel and gas, they're all pretty much the same because over years they figured out what's the most efficient way to do it. But that's not how the software industry was. Everybody did it differently, their go to market, their product development, okay, because.
Speaker 6: It was new.
Speaker 3: And so the whole ideal tomate behind Vista is how do I take the best practices from software companies that I have experience with and deliver those to other software companies so that the efficiency now comes out of that system and eliminate all that waste. Right, That's what Vista is. It's a system. It's an engineered system. So my going out to Silicon Valley, like all things in life, you got to look at what informs you and what creates the basis for the activities or the actions you now bring forward into your work product, and that's what it is. How do you bring engineering efficiency to the management operations of software companies? So that's the narrative and that's what my actions have been against from a Vista perspective.
Speaker 5: So let's get into this conversation with private equity. Vista is which the company that you started twenty years ago, I believe, and it has obviously made you a billionaire and you know, extremely successful person. But can you talk about a lot of people don't even know what private equity is.
Speaker 7: Sure they might have.
Speaker 5: I think people are familiar with Vinure Capital at this point because that's really trendy, but can you talk about what private what he is and the difference between that erners?
Speaker 8: What's up?
Speaker 2: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of.
Speaker 8: Our merch partners.
Speaker 2: Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslow slash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 7: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security and Benji Capital.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question because our community. It's important our community understand the goal of capital and growth. And there's different providers of capital along different stages of a company. Okay. One of the best ways to think about it is if you all have an idea, which you have, we're going to create a platform to educate our people. You're going to start off first with the idea of labor YouTube, right, and we've got ideas, we're going to write them down. We're going to put a process together to now communicate those ideas. Great, and so you start off and social media because it's free, and I say, well, how do I now push this out more broadly speaking beyond trying to get followers? And you may say maybe I should buy some advertising. Where am I going to get this money? Okay? The vast majority of investment capital even today is still out of the debt markets. So unfortunately, seventy percent of our communities don't actually have a branch bank. So depend upon where you live, there's no bank that you have a banking relationship with. It you can go and say, hey, I need ten thousand, fifty hundred thousand dollars because look at how you know and they don't understand your business. I've got eight hundred and forty thousand followers, and if I had twenty thousand dollars, I could rent a studio okay, five times a month and get a million followers or two million followers. And by having two million followers, I can go get advertisers who will pay me to have access to you know, my my people, right and if they pay me, I can now pay you back that money and then I can invest in more of my business make it growth. That's the capital cycle, and it's a virtuous one, but our community hasn't had access to capital. The next phase of that is like some of the banks are like, well, there's no hard assets because your hard assets your hard work. So I'm not going to lend you any money. I'm not sure you're credit worthy, so you can't come to me. So enter the venture capitalists. The venture capitalists are designed to actually look at what it is you're doing in the markets that you participate in, and if you have more capital and in some cases know how and resources that they can hopefully bring to you because they've done this once or twice or one hundred times in that industry, they can show you. Yeah, take that ten thousand dollars. Okay, don't buy advertising. But what I want you to do is actually build a platform where you can do your own streaming. It's more efficient long term and you make more money long term. And so that's advice you might get from them. And here's ten thousand dollars. Now, they're not going to necessarily ask for an interest rate like the bank spam you know, four, five, six, eight, ten, now twelve percent right in interest. They're going to ask you for a percentage of the company. Say, and when you sell the company, you're not going own one hundred percent, You're going one hundred percent minus how much they bought. That's venture capital. Okay. Now years later, you're now running a big platform, you got twenty million followers, you've got advertisers making eighteen fifteen million dollars a month in advertising revenues, and what you're not spending on your team and crew because you're going to give them all raises because they're phenomenal. You guys should I'm giving.
Speaker 7: A shout out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So don't be two greed. No. But now you're at the point where you're making you know, ten thirty forty fifty million dollars in revenues, and now you're trying to manage your business how profitable and expenses and all that. And that's where private equity comes in. Private equity typically are larger checks and we typically bring in my case, we do buyouts. So we want to do control investments where you were selling and control of your business. And you may say, well, why am I selling control of my business? Hey, you get the money, but be what you really want is my know how Why do founders come to us? Because we've done it so many times in enterprise software, I can bring remember those best practices. I was telling you, here's how you run your product development organization more efficiently, Here's how you run your go to market system more efficiently, Here's how you do your contract administration more efficiently. Because you've never done that before, or you've done it, but you don't necessarily know the best way to do it, and we can share experiences with you that actually can enable you to do it now. Not all private equity people bring that. Some just bring to capital and they say, I just want to own the business because if I buy the business and it's growing well over time, and they may put debt on the business, they're going to increase the value of that business. And then when they sell it, but they make the difference between where they sold it and what they bought it for, minus the debt that was in the company. So the way to think about got to think about buying a house. If you go in, it's a house worth one hundred thousand dollars, I know you guys talk about this shell and a buyout person can come and say, all right, I'm gonna buy it for one hundred thousand, Okay, But then they go to the bank and they borrow sixty thousand, so they only have to put forty thousand in. Well, because it's in a good neighborhood. Five years later, it's now worth two hundred thousand, three hundred thousand whatever it might be, right, or they fixed up the house, they went in, put a new porche in and put forty thousand in to really improve the value of the house. Now I can sell it for three hundred thousand. They sell it for three hundred, They pay back the sixty thousand to the bank. They've been paying interest along the way right, and that difference they put it in forty The difference is what is profit and that's what profit equity firms do. Okay. As an owner of protty firm, that difference in value. If I borrowed the money or raised the money, I've got to pay by investors back and then I get a percentage of profits. So that's how that works. So it's just a different form of capital.
Speaker 5: So you just buy buying companies as opposed to where bench capital they're investing in companies, but the owner still runs it.
Speaker 7: You're actually taking control and ownership.
Speaker 3: Of the company. Yes, but like ninety percent of the founders that we buy our companies from are still involved in the business with us or in our ecosystem. Okay, And so you're taking control, but you're also investing in the infrastructure. Now you like to use words, you're accelerating the corporate maturity of that business. So it might take you ten years to figure out what we've done forty five times already. Right, And now I bring that intellectual property into the company and say, here's how we're going to design this a little differently. Here's we're going to change your compensation plans for your salespeople to actually incentivize them to give you more stable revenues or or or you know, more visibility into the future revenues and earnings of that business that you may not have figured out or may not figure out because you may not be in an environment a circle of people who have dealt with that before. And so that's why the expertise that we bring is often more valuable than the capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like the highest level of mentorships, last internship, where it's like you're giving it to me because you've already been through it.
Speaker 3: Right, And we create an ecosystem where our founders are we intentionally bring them together our CEOs. We have twenty six events this year. Okay, we've got eighty six software companies today, we've got ninety five thousand employees. But we have an event. And the last month our CXO event, I had four hundred and fifty cxos. So that's you know, CEO, chief financial officers, chief marketing officers, you know, c sells all that in one city for three days in that case, going through seven or eight different tracks. So if you're a CFO of a forty million dollar software company. You're sitting next to a CFO of a four hundred million dollar software company, sitting next to a CFO of a three billion dollar software company. You all are dealing with different things on the one hand, but you want to understand what you need to do to build your organization so you can support four hundred million dollars worth of growth. And you want to understand what you need to do in your organization four hundred million so you can support a three billion dollar You're not going to get that anywhere else but at Vista, you see what I mean. Oh, and by the way, we do that for the product and technology groups as well, and we do it for separately, and we'll do it for our talent organization's talent development, and we'll do it for go to market. You see what I mean. All of those are elements that are value add intellectual property best practices that we now share with the community of founders and executives in all of our portfolio companies. So it gets back into that efficacy, that efficiency I've talked about in engineering. Now I could hope that you could figure this out. I can invest in your company and hope you figure it out and if you don't afire you. But we don't take that approach. We say, let me give you tools and systems, and let me actually equip your management team with tools in systems so they have a higher probability of being successful as opposed to let me just hope you get it right or you figure it out. You see what I mean. That's the difference in how we approach the market. And that's in some cases difference between i'll call it highly skilled tuned investors, either private acuity or venture capital, and those who are just providing access to capital.
Speaker 2: One of the things you were talking to us about was knowing value and worth. And as I'm listening to you talking about the stories of creating eficient systems for other companies, at what point or was it always are that entrepreneurial mindset where like, I'm doing this for them, I need to start doing this for myself. Was that always in the mindset or did that develop as you created more efficient systems and said, wait, I'm saving them this, I'm saving them this, maybe I can create this for myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's a great question, because like all things in my life, it's evolution. You know, my parents were school teachers. I didn't have private equity people in my life, bankers in my life, lawyers in my life. So you're learning along the way, and you hope that you can glean and learn and understand insights that could be helpful to you going forward. One of the key insights we talked about a so earlier that I had I got as an engineer. Okay, so I was working for a company who was actually a company called craft Urn the foods, and in that case I was responsible for changing and hopefully enhancing One of our best products was a company called Maxwehouse, which is coffee, right and coffee blended coffee is made up of different forms of coffee. We talked about you know, rap coas or busses and maybe five or six different types of coffee roasted to a certain amount, ground to a certain amount that give you a flavor profile that you want to be consistent everywhere you go in the world, so no matter where you went, it tastes the same. Okay, this is backcnated when Maxweus was the largest coffee distributor on the planet. Okay, Well, one of my projects was to figure out a way to an essence enhance the flavor profile at a lower cost. And I did that, and I'll spare you all the details. I told you got some of the details. Let your audiencity know all that nerdy stuff, but U And in doing that, I was able to save the company fourteen cents a pound on every pound of coffee that we manufactured. And we were manufacturing tens of millions of pounds a month of coffee, okay. And I told you guys that I chuckled because I got a great little plaque out of it to give me a thousand dollars in an award. And that was wonderful. And I started to understand that Ernest checked this out.
Speaker 2: If you're looking to add to your podcast list, I got on. You definitely need to check out the new Audible original Direct Deposit What Happens When Black People Get Rich? Hosted by Chad Sanders, the author of Black Magic, What Black Leaders Learned from Trauma and Triumph, and TV writer of Rap Shit, Direct Deposit explores what it takes to get rich and stay rich while black in America. For all my young black entrepreneurs, you must tap in. Direct Deposit seeks to answer the questions, what's money going to do for me?
Speaker 8: What's money going to do to me? It's quite a dilemma.
Speaker 2: Chad went from sleeping on a mattress on the floor in his cramped apartment to nearly overnight success after the legendary Spike Ly signed on to developed one of his scripts. After becoming more and more successful, Chad has realized that his bank account might change.
Speaker 8: But the struggle means Chad.
Speaker 2: Speats the prominent black figures in American pop culture like Easter, Ray, Garriel Union, and Soladad O'Brien.
Speaker 8: Visit audible dot com slash direct deposit to listen.
Speaker 3: Now, Look, I could have never done that if I weren't in that environment. I could have never done that had I not been a chemical engineer from Cornell Okay, But I was graced with both of those scenarios, and I was able to create something of real value for the company at the time. But then you start looking at the give get analysis. They're saving you ten, twelve, fourteen million dollars a year, and you know, I got paid the same thirty four thousand dollars a year whatever it was at the time, which I thought was more money than could ever make because that was more money my dad ever made in his career, Okay, as a principal, right, And so then you start thinking about is there a different utility of my time that I should be thinking about? And ultimately what I actually realized. And you know, we chat about this so earlier through my interactions with with with John Newtondahl and Ray McGuire and these sort of folks the power of capital versus labor, And we just talked about labor and you all as labored to create this platform. At some point you realize if I had a different quantum of capital, you could reach more people on accident than you do flying around and doing events. If you utilize that capital efficiently, you see to mean, And so that's kind of the next evolution. And yeah, right, okay, And in some cases you learn it. In some cases someone tells you right, and and if you get it right, you then can do it at increasing scale and efficiency. And we call it the unit economics of your productivity go up with every time you do it as opposed to down. Right, So those are the dynamics that informed me on understanding capital. And one of the things we talked about, you know, capital markets are just basically equilibrium systems. That's what we learn in chemical engineering is understanding equilibrium systems. It's actually the same thing in some respects. You've got difference out of inputs and outputs, but what is the equilibrium system that you're actually evaluating and understanding and in some cases changing the dynamic of the control in those equilibrium systems to make you more efficient outcome. So they're not as far apart as you think if you look at it through the right lens.
Speaker 5: Well, let me ask you this as far as I want to make sure I get this number correct. Well, first, your guy's portfolio consists of ninety four billion dollars ninety four billion in assets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little more than that, but yeah, that's close enough.
Speaker 7: Who's counting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this is a disturbing fact. So one point four percent of US based assets under management managers are for diverse owned firms. Women and people of color can bine, right, So that is disturbing. So yeah, talk, So that's one point four percent of the firms are women, and it's like everybody like Latinos, blacks like you just don't everybody in a bucket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we only have access to one point four percent of the assets. We make it up a little more one point four percent of the population, though, don't we, And we actually make up a little higher than that in terms of our contributing to the pension plans. Did your parents are they part of a pension plan? Yeah? My mom.
Speaker 7: My mom was a teacher for thirty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, what's percentage of black teachers in her union? A lot, little more than one point four percent for sure. Okay, what about you know some of the civil service workers? Probably the same thing. Do about federal government? Yeah, probably the same thing. But yet we don't control a proportionate share of the assets that our parents put those sixty two dollars a weekend for pensions, and we our parents go out work so hard, send us the school, send us the college, get educated, go manage this capital. But yet they don't get the capital to manage that, as you know, flows back in our communities at much higher rates than almost anything else, because as you do better, you typically are enhancing your community at much higher rates than non people of color. So those are the things we you and me have to make people aware and drive these pension plans to make sure they're distributing their fair share to the constituency base that makes up those who are contributing point number one and in point number two to the highest performers, which when you look at we have a group called the NAIIC that's been doing this work for twenty years evaluating our firms perform at a higher rate, a higher level with lower loss ratios. Can we talk about that, Yeah, sure so, I mean we've been doing this. When we do these studies, we have over the last twenty years, especially in the private equity business, returned more capital, had fewer losses, lower loss ratios than majority white firms, but yet we get less than one point four percent of the allocation of capital. We've got the studies and we go take these studies and we you know, it goes in shows. These consultants are in there and they kind of like, yeah, it's going to take some time. Well that's a problem. Okay. Those are the things that destabilize communities if they feel there is injustice and the way people are treated and it's not a meritocracy. That's a dynamic that has to change, and there are certain leaders who are doing a good job of that. You know, somebody criticize Honestly, New York does a pretty good job of it. New York State, New York City is to call out. And we're sitting here now right in understanding that, and you know, comptrollers and treasurers, you know, Adopotly being one and Lander being the newest one in New York City, understand that and have been driving the programs in that regard. And that's why some of the return to some of the highest in the US because they recognize that fact. And there's some states that don't recognize and don't do anything about it, and they've got some of the lowest returning plans. You see what I mean. It's economic necessity at the end of the day, and it's fairness that's actually going to move our society forward.
Speaker 6: In UH twenty nineteen, I want to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Uh. Obviously there philanthropy philanthrop efforts have been well documented, uh Borehouse philanthropic, philanthropic.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking of philanthropy and philanthropic, so I appreciate you, uh obviously well documented to give back to the senior class of Borehouse.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I recently, you know, saw that the parents as well of some of the students uh that their tuitions were their student loan debt taking care of One of the things I heard you speak about, and I haven't. I've never heard it was broadband deserts and how HBCUs are disproportionately affected by having board band deserts. Not a topic that I've heard discussed, you know, nationally or even in you know, amongst communities, about how that affects students long term and how it affects communities and EDGUC.
Speaker 6: Can you talk about your efforts to try to combat that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question, Earners.
Speaker 8: What's Up?
Speaker 2: Today's episode is sponsored by Sunship's Art Scene. Sun Chips believes in the power of diverse voices, but many women and people of color aren't always seen in the art industry. Help Sunships shine a light on underrepresented artists and champion diversity in the art scene. By heading to sun chipsartscene dot com right now, you'll be able to view the art collection on show in Miami Beach and vote for your favorite artists for the chance to win sun Chips snacks for one year. The top three artists that receive the most votes will be commissioned by Sonships to create artwork that will appear on more than twenty million Sonships, bags, and across Sunships advertising in twenty twenty three. All right, so here's your vote in details. Fans across the US can visit sunchipsartscene dot com between now and December eighteenth to view the collection on show in Miami Beach and cast their vote for their favorite art scene artists. Sun Chips will commission the top three artists receive the most votes to create artwork that will appear on more than twenty million sunships, bags, and across sun Chips advertising in twenty twenty three. Consumers can vote once per day for the chance to win sun Chips snacks for one year. There will be one winner each day from now to December eighteenth, twenty twenty two. So head over to sun Chips Art Scene that's see n dot com right now to cast your votes. Good luck, y'all.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about what is really the fourth Industrial Revolution that's occurring today. Every industry is being digitized, every single one. I mean you just look in our studio here and how much of this equipment is now digital versus what it was even eight years ago, whereas analog right, the capacity to edit okay, the capacity to deliver streaming real time, you know, phase time around the world, your program that wasn't you know something you could do ten years ago, twelve years ago? Okay? Digitizing everything every industry. This is again, this whole Fourth Industrial Revolution is changing the economic landscape of this planet. But yet our HBCUs eighty percent of them are in broadband deserts. How are you going to participate if you don't have access to the tool of progress, the principal tool of progress today in the economy. And that is a big problem. And that's one that we decided to take on, and I decided to take on and bring some partners to take on to go get after this. We have to enable all of our citizenry to participate in this next generation of opportunity. The US today, you own, our borders are basically closed, okay. You know, we've got immigration laws and political conflict that in essence, we are not importing labor anymore. And as we need to grow as society, we need people. I just tell people the biggest issue, the most scarce asset we have on this planet today are software programmers. There's eight billion people on the planet, there's only twenty six million of us who write software for living, and it is that software that is required to digitize every industry on the planet. Automotive, healthcare, finands, banking, all of it is now requiring tools and systems that are digital in nature. But yet one of the greatest infrastructures for training people historically Black college and universities eighty percent of them don't have broadband access where our kids can learn the tools of this craft in a way that they can participate effectively long term. And if we don't get this right now, eight years from now, ten years from twenty years from now, the market of change and opportunity and transformation will have been gone so far that we won't be able to participate in this next way. We didn't get to participate in the great economic opportunity that was America in owning land, Okay, many of our families were unpaid labor okay, which created massive wealth. And then you had gi Bill Home Set Act, Southern Home Set Act. We didn't participate in that proportionately. We didn't get a chance to participate in the asset accretion in real estate because of redlining in those dynamics, and so now here we are Corporate America started to expand, it has taken a while for us to get and we're still not even there. Fair shit year of opportunity to participate as professionals environment and now you're going through the fourth Industrial Revolution. If we don't participate here, it's going to be the same dynamic. That's why it's so essential that we equip our children and our communities with the tools, and they need to insist that those tools be provided and insist that they learn and train and develop ways to participate in this economy, in this digital economy. What percentage of your viewership you think is listening on some digital device or digital ablement. Yeah, your business relies on it, So why shouldn't your community participate in it? And right now those schools are being starved at those resources. You can say conscious, unconscious, whatever it is, but the fact is it is there. That's what we have to do about it. Look, I'm going to do my part, and you guys got to continue to do your part and make sure that your viewership demands that our HBCUs have access to broadband, every one of them, not just the big ones, every one of them, so that our kids could learn and participate and have the ability to now take what they know and deliver business systems solutions into their community to make their small and medium businesses in their community and the education of the kids in our community more effective than what it is today.
Speaker 5: I want to just follow up on that on the HBCU thing, because you got a lot of headlines when you do more house, when you paid off the student loans. But when we were in LA and I heard you speak about that, and I realized that it wasn't It's a little bit more complicated, which actually led to something else, another initiative.
Speaker 7: So can you talk about that.
Speaker 5: Because people just saw he paid off everybody student loans, but that's not actually the full story, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the next thing, so what I like all things, it's not as easy as you think to pay off somebody's loans. And everybody's like, what are you talking about? Who would have thought? Because yeah, who would have thought? Right, Because if you pay off somebody's loan, either you're giving them a gift or they're receiving a gift. Now they got to pay taxes on it, so there's a burden to them or an increasing burden to you. So you've got to actually architect a system to do that effectively so that doesn't create the burden in that process. What I learned is over sixty percent of African American wealth goes towards servicing student loans. Okay, you come out, You've got sixty eighty one hundred and twenty thousand dollars with the student loans. Now you're paying interest on those loans. Something happens in your family, don't use your job, whatever, And now that compounds and it can be decades before you've paid off those student loans. That inhibit your ability to buy stocks, bonds, a house, invest in a business, you see what I mean. And I was like, well, that's just unconstable because most of the student loans are paying back to the United States government. Yeah, African Americans paying money back to United States government to pay our student loans. How y'all feel about that?
Speaker 7: That's crazy?
Speaker 3: Crazy? Yeah, y'all should think about that, right, talk about that. Right? So then I thought, well, what's a better way to do it? This is what's the better equilibrium system. The better equilibrium system is to create a fund it's called the Student Freedom Initiative. We raise money, I put in a bunch of money, and now these students borrow from the fund. Okay, let's make sure it fits our condition. Our condition often is that we often aren't paid as much as corresponding white students. So let's make sure that the interest rate is below. Parent plus loans at a minimum, at a minimum and every now and you have life interruptions. Okay, Well, if there's a life interruption, you know, parent ailing, we've got to go back take care of that parent. Then we can actually stop those payments in that period of time. Parent plus now you're gonna pay whether you work it or not. And then compounds and all that, so you can stop it during that period of time. And if you decide to go work in a community to be a teacher, like you work right, okay, and you're making below a certain amount, but you're doing good for the community. You do that for twenty years and that's forgiven. But rather than pay that money back to the government, it pays back into the fund, and then that fund can relend that capital and that's a virtuous cycle. Okay. So that's a Student Freedom Initiative is okay, And so that our students can borrow from this fund and they pay back into that fund, they can be reborrowed. So now you're taking care of your own community through your work in that regard, that's what it is.
Speaker 5: And the money goes back to the next generation of students.
Speaker 7: Right, those are recycled, right, situation Right.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about an initiative, and I think it's pretty amazing that the two percent solution. Yeah, whereas correct me if I'm wrong, but banks, right the determined on the profits that they make off their investments, they reallocate that back into their communities.
Speaker 3: They should.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll let you talk about the initiative.
Speaker 3: But that's the point is it's like, you know, the average American individual gives about two percent of charity, you know, to charity every year, and African Americans actually will higher and people call it will higher. And I said, well, if you just take that and apply that to corporations, so beyond just the dollars, it's the know how, Okay, So take two percent of your earnings, two percent of your profits, whatever it is, and now use that to enable the equitable opportunity. And listen to the words equable opportunity in the communities that support your business. Right, if you are in a healthcare business, for instance, so why not take that and invest that in telemedicine solutions for communities don't have access. Right. If you're in the banking business, invest that in digital banking in the communities that don't have banks. My community that I grew up in didn't have a branch bank. Okay, if you're in the supermarket business, two percent of that to go to providing access to high quality foods low costs. In mention, my community I grew up in did not have a supermarket. Still doesn't think about that. Right, We had to drive across down or go to local communience store where the prices are three four five X. You see what I mean. So that's what the initiative is designed to do, is to bring a consciousness to how you can actually enable citizenry to have opportunities to participate in that case, in our economy as full citizens. That's what it's designed it.
Speaker 6: I mean, it feels pretty simple, right.
Speaker 3: Makes sense to me.
Speaker 5: Oh, missus Smith, you've been a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for joining us. Anything that you would like to leave the audience with any last words or anything that you will like.
Speaker 3: I will leave you all with something. Make sure you continue to expand your voice. And we talked about this earlier this morning, the importance of you thinking about bringing scale to this platform and leave behind so that the youth that hear you or the parents that hear you can point their youth, do your messages, your tools, and bring build systems for people to get more financially literate and enabled to be more effective in achieving their goals, which most people want financial independence and some freedom in their lives. Uh. And you all have a wonderful and great platform and I sincerely mean that, and I congratulate you. Just continue to think about how you scale it effectively inefficiently. So good luck on that. And if I can never be helpful, you know, just a text away. Sure.
Speaker 5: Well, we tried to get you out of We had a big thing called investments last year and Tyler Perry and Steve harveybody keynotes you're trying to get you, but you out of I think you're out of the country on vacation. I remember, yeah, but let me know, just be this year we can good look forward to look for seriously, I just wanted to thank you for your time, and I'm sure we'll run into well, we're actually gonna see next next.
Speaker 2: Week, see you next week, you see us together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, thank you guys. Keep doing what you're doing. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: This is definitely off the bucket list of people that we wanted to sit down with. I told this when I woke up this morning. I'm like, I can't believe this is actually happening today. So thank you for blessing us with the knowledge and all your service as well my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a blessing to be here with you, brothers. So keep doing what you're doing. Thank you you having guys. That's a wrap, all right, guys, did you record it?
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being false bad drop bag drop my drop bad drop.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts and MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,