Speaker 1: Two days before our last episode came out, Kelly pointed out there was a different case number on her littering case court docket, and the sentence of forty eight hours shock jail time and two years probation, which you heard her say never happened, was in fact also incorrect. What will Byron's legal team have to say about this?
Speaker 2: What are your concerns? I mean I could just hear it in your voice. Yeah, I mean I'm upset. I've been up all night.
Speaker 1: Is this alleged clerical error easily explained? Will it change how Kelly's credibility is now viewed? And what a fact, if any, will this have on Byron's legal case. I'm Leah Rothman. This is The Real Killer, Episode fifteen the docket. Right after Kelly and I speak that Tuesday night about this error on her court docket, I message Byron's attorney, Brian Russell to see if he can get the rest of the team together to talk the next morning. I don't share with Brian exactly why I'm asking for this last minute interview, but he comes back and says yes, he and the team will be available. So the next morning at eleven am my time, Brian, Nicole Gordon, Sean O'Brien, Quin O'Brien, and I all log into Zoom for what will be a very interesting conversation about Kelly's court docket and what can and cannot be proven?
Speaker 2: Can everyone hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah yet.
Speaker 1: So thank you for getting together this quickly, because I reached out to Brian last night late last night asking for us to all get together. Kelly texted me yesterday and sent me screen grabs from her littering charge and I was like, okay, great, and she was like, see, it's just a fine.
Speaker 2: I just had to pay a fine. And I was like, well, let me send you what I have.
Speaker 1: It says you did forty eight hours of shock, jail time and two years probation. Within minutes, she wrote me back angrily pointed out that there is another case number next to that sentence on the docket, and at first I didn't see it. She was like, that's not my case number, and I was like, I don't see what you're seeing and she's basically like, you dummy, it's right there. And so I looked up that case number and it's a guy named Brendan.
Speaker 2: I won't use his last name who in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine got in trouble for allegedly passing some bad checks. It doesn't say anything about shock jail time, but under his sentence or program info, it says that he had unsupervised probation for seven hundred and thirty one days, So that's two years.
Speaker 4: In a day.
Speaker 1: Kelly, as you heard in the last episode, said I didn't go to jail. I didn't I wasn't on probation. So how do you explain this?
Speaker 4: Kelly's word is mud. Frankly, I don't care what Kelly has to say about anything.
Speaker 3: That's Brian Russell.
Speaker 4: Unless there's some independent corroboration. Her word alone doesn't do anything. The point is she's still at a minimum, let's say, if even if it was just a fine, right, she was still convicted of a Class amis demeanor, which is what the probation is irrelevant to that fact that both her and the prosecutor's office had a duty to tell Byron that she was convicted of a Class A misdemeanor during all of this, right during all of their investigation and everything like that. So the fact that sorry, not the fact her allegation that she didn't actually do any jail time, which I still believed to be false. That is irrelevant to this issue. That she was still convicted of a Class A misdemeanor, and that this all happened while she was quote unquote cooperating with the Jackson County prosecutor right she had an incentive. She had an active warrant out for her arrest. She admitted to you that she was picked up on that warrant by the Least Summit Police Department, which was that was new information for us, because we never knew where she was picked up on warrant. We just knew that she was picked up one more so, as far as what our response is to that is, it's great. That's great. Thank you for telling us and confirming that you were convicted of a Class A misdemeanor, that you lied about it to Byron's defense counsel when he asked if you had ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor in state or federal court, and that the prosecutor's office should have known about it, probably did know about it and didn't do their job and fulfill their duty to disclose that to Byron and his defense.
Speaker 3: Team, here's Sean O'Brien.
Speaker 5: You know, we had found the clerical error that they had linked some unrelated person's case to her case net. But that was a clerical error. Apparently doesn't negate any of the other stuff. That's not his shock time, that's not his judgment.
Speaker 4: We know it's a.
Speaker 1: Clerical error because I reached out to Christopher Class who's the sheriff of Cooper County, and he did confirm that she did two days of shock time. Okay, so Nicole, and glad you brought that up, because I have your email that you sent me and.
Speaker 2: He does not He does not do that. I'll read it to you, you said.
Speaker 1: The email says, we've received your Sunshine Law requests for information regarding detention records for Kelly Moffatt. Looking up information on Moffitt, it was found through court records that she was sentenced to two days jail time back on April third, two thousand and one, on a littering case. On a littering case, those records have since been destroyed in accordance with our retention schedule. We show no other incarceration for Moffitt, and our records. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the sheriff's office. So they're basically saying, we don't have any records that she was detained. We are looking at the court records, which seemed to be erroneous, and that's what they're referencing. They don't say that she spent any time there.
Speaker 5: Well, in other words, she owes Boone County two days of shock time. Is what that means. I mean, you know, we've looked at you know, three lawyers have looked this over. She owes Boone County two day shock time. And what the sheriff is saying, we don't have the jail records, but the court order to do them. She probably did them, and if she did them, their records are destroyed. That's what that means.
Speaker 4: Another component of this is Kelly claims that she was never arrested. Well, we have a record from the Missouri State Highway Patrol from April fifteenth of two thousand that says that she was arrested.
Speaker 5: This is the thing you have to understand about dealing with Kelly. She's the kind of liar who will tell a lie to cover a lie, to cover a lie, and she demonstrated that to you in your last episode that we listened. We heard that several times.
Speaker 1: And with all due respect, I just can't look at this and say definitively that she's tolling a lie.
Speaker 6: Then you should look at other records that are going to corroborate that date.
Speaker 1: Let me finish, because but you guys, where are they? Where are the records that corroborate that she actually went to jail or I mean, or was even sentenced to it. All I'm saying is, if we look at this, she seemed very confused about the two days, forty eight hours of shock, jail time, and the two years probation. She also said when she was asked in her deposition, you know about if she had been in trouble with the law, she didn't really consider a littering charge in a fine that big of a deal. But what about pick a warrant and extra died it to a different county?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, why would she be extradited to a different county if there wasn't a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they issued a warrant for her arrest, a bench warrant, and she was arrested on that bench warrant. And here she is saying that to be extradited. For hold On to be extradited from Jackson County to Cooper County would have taken more than a day or two. She was in jail somewhat. Maybe she wasn't in jail in Cooper County. Maybe the judge in Cooper County said, oh, you said in the Jackson County jail, or in the least summit jail for two days while you were waiting to get extradited here to plead guilty to this fine, we're going to credit you for that two days. But we don't know this. But you don't know And why don't we know it, Leah, We don't know it because the Jackson County Prosecutor's office hid it. They did not disclose they had Kelly was a minor on this charge too, and so they knew about this. There's no reason they shouldn't have known about this, and they failed to disclose it. And it wasn't until twenty years later that we're finding it, and all the records have been destroyed, and so we're trying to piece together what happened as best we can. But as far as what Kelly has to say about it, or what her memory, says, it's funny that she you know, it's funny the things that she remembers so is vividly, and then the things she has no memory of or she's not sure about. And so, as far as for our purposes and for Byron's purposes, all that really matters is that she was convicted of a class amiss.
Speaker 5: To mean, and she responded to a question about it by saying, I've never even been in trouble with the police. She told you she was taken in custody on a warrant.
Speaker 4: Right, If that's not trouble with them, I think we would all remember getting arrested and picked up on a warrant and having to sit in jail and wait to get transferred to another county and to use her word.
Speaker 2: Extradited, I hear you.
Speaker 1: I mean, just so you know, I was up all night like this does not sit well with me. This is troubling to me. It's troubling because I didn't pick up on there being another case number as many times as I've looked at this docket.
Speaker 2: The fact that I didn't pick up on that, and.
Speaker 1: Also a large part of the case, or you know, a large part of the case is that Kelly is a drug addicted liar that was in bigger trouble and flipped on Byron in order to get out of the bigger trouble.
Speaker 2: We absolutely don't know that to be the fact.
Speaker 1: We don't know that she was actually sentenced to that this is actually her sentence. If that case number that's on there is wrong, we don't know that the sentence on there is wrong. Because stay with me for one second. On another page of these docket records, the page that talks about her sentence, stand by yeah, On the page that talks about charges and sentence. Under sentence, it says fine, fine, fourteen dollars and ninety five cents. So where is where is the sentence of forty eight hours shock, jail time in two years probation.
Speaker 2: I can hold it up.
Speaker 4: I can't not. Yeah, I'm looking at it on line right now.
Speaker 3: Here's Quinn O'Brien.
Speaker 6: She still lied, And I mean, we keep forgetting that a medical examiner has said that her version of events is totally impossible, that it's a Hollywood fiction. We're forgetting that. Don Rand and other gas station attendants told people at one time or another that they saw someone get out of a car and go use a payphone. We're forgetting that. Bob told the Fishers that he saw Anastasia later that night and tried to get her to get in the car. There's just so much out there that shows that Kelly's story is false. That you know, these these little things are I mean, at what point are we just? I mean, you're asking us to prove that there was a clerical error rather than you know, have Kelly prove that she wasn't in prison, Make her prove that she wasn't in jail. Have her prove that. Show ask her where she was, what she was doing, If she wasn't doing shocked time, what was she doing, where was she made?
Speaker 1: It's not up to her to prove it. It's up to you, guys to prove it. Right and again I say this with all due respect, but it's up to you. Guys are making the allegations. It's up to you to prove it, not to Kelly. I mean, Kelly's just I'm telling you what she said. This is what you guys have done, have gone after her credibility left and right. She says, I have not told a lie, and I can hear your laughter about to come in, but she says, I've not told a lie since I've come forward, and this is an example of the stuff that has been used against her to discredit her. And so it's not her job to prove this. It's your job if you make the allegation.
Speaker 6: Bia, It's not your job to give her a parachute out of these things either, Like when she started to say that if she and Byron weren't interrogated together, that she might have gone ahead and admitted or hum forward, not admitted. If she and Byron hadn't been interrogated together, then she would have talked about seeing the death. You stepped in and said, well, the records say that you weren't interrogated together, and she said, oh, oh, oh, you're right. So she gets a parachute out of her lies.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that's a parachute.
Speaker 1: I think I was taking her to task, like I was pointing out that what she said was untrue. I don't think that's a parachute I was giving her.
Speaker 6: I would have let her go. I would have asked her so in that interrogation together, what happened?
Speaker 1: Okay, but this isn't about me, right, now I've already I'm like admitting that I've messed up by not even recognizing that there was, you know, a different case number next to the sentence that differed from the case number on the upper left hand corner or the upper you know, on the.
Speaker 2: Top of the page.
Speaker 1: Like I should have should have I should have figured this out a long time ago and asked you guys a long time ago about this.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, we've known about it for a long time.
Speaker 1: Nobody said anything. Nobody, nobody has said anything. So everyone, I mean, we've been moving forward as if she did time in jail and was on probation. I don't. Well, again, there's no proof of that right now, there is no proof of that. If you have proof, then please what sure we do we have proof of that? Where's the proof that she was in jail?
Speaker 4: Here, let me show you that she was in jail. She admitted to it. What are you talking about? She just admitted to it. She said she was arrested in least summit.
Speaker 2: But she didn't. I'm talking about getting sentenced.
Speaker 1: So she pled guilty and that her sentence is supposed to be forty eight hours in jail in two years probation. Where is the proof that that actually was the case. And here's another question, and I actually don't know this answer. I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask you, if you're on probation, do you get a probation officer.
Speaker 4: We tried to find her probation officer and all of that. But here's the thing. She was a juvenile on this thing. So those are all closed records. We can't get it that until we file the havienes.
Speaker 2: But you don't know that they're as a probation officer.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, I don't know that she had a probation officer. And the other thing that we have looked into was she was a Kansas resident at the time, but on Missouri probation. So there's a weird It's like, okay, well, would she have gotten a Kansas probation officer? You know, would that have been put over there to do that? And you know, we still believe that she was put on probation, which would totally make sense because when all of this happens, she's supposed to be quote unquote cooperating with the Jackson County Prosecutor's office. Right in December of two thousand, they put this tape recorder in the Moffit residence. Right months go by, no phone calls with Byron, no no reported attempts of phone calls with Byron. Kelly seems to disappear because there's literally no reports. Then she gets picked up on this warrant, pleads guilty. We still believe, sentenced to two days shock time with probation. But let's say she's not. Let's say she's just convicted of a Class A misdemeanor. The reason it makes sense for her to be sentenced to two years probation is so the prosecutors have control over her during the pendency of the rest of their investigation and prosecution into Byron. Right so, and then it's two months after this guilty plead that she finally gets Byron on the phone. But I wanted to point out too, and I tried to share my screen, but I can't. I can email you this document I have because we took screenshots of this back when we found it, and I'm looking at the screen shot of it now, not the screenshot. I'm looking at the screen on case net right now, and it looks like it has been altered from when we first found it and gathered it because it used to say on April third, two thousand and one, judgment entered SEES which stands for suspended execution of sentence thirty days, can secut with case number, consecutive with case number, you know, and then that's the case number we're talking about, which is related to somebody different forty eight hours shot time probation two years right now, and then under that entry it says guiltyply. Now on live on case Net it just says April third, two thousand and one, guiltyply. It doesn't have judgment entered on that docket report like it used to. So something somebody got on there and changed something and I don't know why that happened, and I don't know who did that, but that's new. That is also new information for us.
Speaker 3: This is true. There are two dockets.
Speaker 1: The one Cooper County sent me on April sixteenth, twenty twenty four. In the middle of the page, under sentence it says fine. Then under total case fine imposed it says fourteen dollars and ninety five cents. In the docket Byron's legal team sent me, which they pulled on October two, twelfth twenty twenty one. In the middle of the page, it says Kelly was sentenced to a fine of fourteen dollars and ninety five cents, just like the one Cooper County sent me, but lowered down on that page, in the itemized list of events that happened in the case on April third, two thousand and one, there is that other person's case number, and next to it is the sentence of forty eight hours shock jail time and two years probation.
Speaker 3: So what the hell which sentence is the real one?
Speaker 1: When was the forty eight hours shock jail time two years probation erased from the docket? It had to have been some time between October of twenty twenty one and April of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Who did it and why? By the way, I.
Speaker 1: Had asked Byron's legal team about these two different court dockets before, because one had the sentence forty eight hours shock jail time and two years probation and the other one didn't have it. They said it was because there was a difference between what information a lawyer can access on case net, Missouri's legal case database and what the general public can. Not sure if that's what happened or if it's something else. In an attempt to get some clarity on Kelly's two different court dockets and whether or not she was ever sentenced to forty eight hours in jail and two years probation, I email the Jackson County Prosecutor's office to see if they will answer my questions at least about this. Remember, months ago, I was told that it wouldn't be appropriate for Prosecutor Teresa Crayon to speak until all litigation in this case is complete. When the prosecutor's office responds, they say the same thing, They can't comment until all litigation is complete on this matter Nicole again, and the state was able to find Byron's records in a different county, They did a background check on him, brought it to trial. Why didn't you need to tell me they didn't do that with Kelly and brought it to trial. And so there is the presumption of this wasn't disclosed and.
Speaker 2: Why I mean, and I think that we're.
Speaker 1: Allowed to hypothesize of all the reasons that someone would in Kelly's position would implicate.
Speaker 4: Somebody else in a murder.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're allowed to do that, but Brian's right.
Speaker 1: The fact of the matter is is that they didn't disclose it and they had a duty to right.
Speaker 4: And we have court records that say that she was on shot time, two days of shot time with a thirty day backup in two years probation. That's what the records we have say. She might say that that's not true and that's not what happened, and that's fine, you know what. That's what this process is for. And maybe we find out that she wasn't sentenced to two days of shock time, but at a minimum, she was still convicted of a class A mystery, right, and that's what they had a duty to disclose.
Speaker 2: So I think there are two issues, right.
Speaker 1: I think it's I mean, you have been putting forth the theory that she got into this bigger trouble, and you know, Kelly is a drug addicted liar and she, you know, was in this bigger trouble and that's why she flipped and worked with prosecutors. That doesn't seem as plausible as it did before.
Speaker 6: I think that's another statement of the theory though, And can I can I correct the theory really quick that she Our theory is that this case connected her to the prosecution, that she could have been in much more trouble if she hadn't worked with prosecutors to get out of it.
Speaker 1: Let's go back for one second and look at the timeline. Kelly was arrested in April of two thousand on this littering charge. She didn't up for her arraignment in June of two thousand, That's when the warrant was issued three months later in September of two thousand. Kelly was basically made to come forward when her drug counselor went to the authorities. So when was Kelly allegedly incentivized to work with prosecutors. Was it between when she got the littering charge and when she came forward, so between April and September? Or was it between when she came forward and when she was picked up on the warrant, so between September and the following April. I went back and found a report Kilgore wrote on September twentieth, two thousand, the day after Kelly came forward. Kilgore wrote quote, Apparently Ms Moffatt offered to tape record a conversation with Byron Case and try to get him to admit to the shooting. Mister Beard and Ms McGowan were in favor of attempting the recording, So it seems it was Kelly's idea to try and record Byron confessing, and this happened around the time she came forward. What would be the point in a quid pro quo scenario with prosecutors. Was it to point the finger at Byron because it seems she had already done that, or was it to finally get Byron on the phone and again, remember it was her idea to do that.
Speaker 6: Back to Quinn, I still don't know if that's the case because a lot of those records are going to be confidential because she's a juvenile, and some of these records are you going to be things that we can't get until the behavior is proceeding. But she was on the prosecution's radar. She's an addict, and this is the case that you know, we know about. We're not saying that she did this to how to put this? Somebody helped me out, your dad, you know what I want?
Speaker 5: Yeah. The point is when somebody is addicted, the prospect of one night in jail is terrifying because that means withdrawal that means cold Turkey, and so that's incentive for her to cooperate with the police. But why she decided to implicate Byron is a much much different, more complex thing than what you've described. I think that she lied multiple times to multiple people about why she's an addict, why she has this drug problem. She says, because I saw Anastasia murdered, and then she says, because I saw Justin murder Anastasia, and then she changes that to Byron. So she tells this lie because it's convenient at the moment at the time. And then when she finally tells a therapist and a therapist says, you go to the police or I will. Now suddenly the lie is locked in, and she doesn't have a choice but to go through with the lie that she's been telling. And so if she's under stress, it's a stress of being locked into a lie that she now can't get out of. And so she ends up going to a lawyer, going to the prosecution. And so why the delay of months and months and months between her cooperation decision and getting Byron on the phone to you know, try to trap him into saying something incriminating.
Speaker 1: That's not how Kelly sees it. Kelly mentioned in the last episode that she had been accused of stalking Byron. Kelly said, well, the police were the ones who gave her his number, So maybe Kelly had tried calling Byron before that June fifth call back to Sean.
Speaker 5: She doesn't want to do it, but I think this case and the prospect of going to jail because she has that warrant pending, I think that is what you know, motivated her finally to follow through with the phone call to Byron. And now you know she's in over her head. She can't back out of this. She can't. There's no way to do it.
Speaker 4: Another thing to point out Leah is that in that report that Sergeant Kilgore wrote from December of two thousand, when he installs the tape recorder, the last thing he writes is assistant prosecutor Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Amy McGowan told me to give her phone number and her pager number, and so that so Kelly has the prosecutor, the Jackson County Prosecutor, one of the top deputies in Jackson County prosecutor's contact info and then she gets picked up in Jackson County on this warrant. Who is she going to maybe call to get some help out of that situation? You know, we believe that there's it's very plausible that she called Amy McGowan and said, I'm in trouble and I need help, and they said, okay, well we can help you with this. But here's what you're going to need to start playing ballbat her with us, right.
Speaker 2: But but let me just let me jump in real quick.
Speaker 1: We don't know that to be true, and now we don't know. We know one there's another thing we don't know to be true, and that's that she actually was sentenced to forty eight hours of shockjail time in two years probation.
Speaker 4: That is, we don't know. We don't know what that is. So we don't know that.
Speaker 2: We don't actually know that there was.
Speaker 4: Any bigger's We don't have to prove that, I know, but.
Speaker 1: We but we've put that forth like we have said that in the podcast. You guys have talked about that that you you allege that there was some bigger trouble that she was in that she had to get out of. And I don't think that that is have been I don't think that's been proven. I don't think that even that her sentence, that sentence of forty eight hours of shockjail time in two years probation has been proven. And the thing I want to say in my email to the Prosecutor's office, I also ask about this allegation that after Kelly was picked up on the warrant, she called Amy McGowan, who helped her in exchange for Kelly getting Byron on the phone in a recorded confession.
Speaker 3: But here's another question.
Speaker 1: If Amy McGowan intervened, and that is a mighty big if, why would that forty eight hours of shot, jail time and two years probation ever be entered into the docket. If something sneaky and nefarius went on, one would imagine there would be enormous attention given to covering all tracks.
Speaker 3: Okay, back to our interview, and then one.
Speaker 1: Other thing I want to say, Sean, like, yes, Kelly came forward and first said to her dad Byron, then to the counselor said justin. It was her mom who actually said no, no, no, Kelly told your dad. It was Byron. It was her mom who called her out and said, no, you tell her you know this is what you told your dad. So yes, she flip flops, but her mom makes her change her story back to Byron.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like she did it on her own. Okay, Sorry, what were you going to say.
Speaker 4: Brian in response to that, Well, I don't know. I mean, obviously the lies of Kelly's lies. We all have different theories, right. I think that she was just a troubled kid trying to get either back in with her parents and that's what started this ball rolling, or that this was just a lie that spun out of control.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: She her story, everything she says, there's inconsistencies, not just across statements after she comes forward, but even within single interviews there's inconsistencies. Even with what she was saying to you. There's inconsistencies right all this time. Oh, she just wanted to come forward. If only somebody had just been mean to me in one of these interviews, I would have told you truth. But then she says I wanted to come forward. But that's not even then she didn't come forward. They seemed to after she's in rehab, detoxing, and who knows, we don't even know how long she was in rehab before this whole maggy thing allegedly happened. But she says that, well, I tried to say that it was justin or that it was some other thing, and then her mom drags out another lie out of her. I don't know it just none of it makes sense. Did she want to come forward or did she not come because at no point in this does she do anything voluntarily.
Speaker 6: No, And I still think that to call her, I mean, she said that we characterized her as a drug kingpin, and I don't recall ever even saying anything like that. I mean, that's that's not the theory that she was in trouble for something bigger. We've known for a long time that it was a littering charge, and that's all it has to be, is a littering charge. She doesn't have to have, you know, drugs on her or be a And that's not our theory. Our theory is that she continues to use and she's connected to the prosecution. Now she's on probation and she gets arrested, and I don't believe that she was arrested just for having a headlight out. I don't believe that. I would love to get those records and we're actually trying to.
Speaker 4: Tell where's her, where's her proof that she was that she was arrested for a broken headline?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't. I don't believe that for a second. I think that she's on probation and she gets arrested for drugs and she realizes that she's going to have to do backup time, and then the prosecutor steps in to help her out. I still think that that's the case, and I have nothing, except for killing off its word that that's not the case.
Speaker 2: I mean, hold on one second.
Speaker 1: Sorry to trumpt you, but to be fair, Quinn, you guys did say that you believed that she might have been involved in some bigger drug thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's in the podcast. We did talk about that, so.
Speaker 6: You know we speculated that it could have been the case.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm just saying you said, that's not what we all.
Speaker 4: What we ever thought, and it might have been related to drugs, but not or something.
Speaker 6: When I say bigger drug thing, that's not I mean, she used the word getting caught. Sorry, I know she.
Speaker 2: Used you she used the working pin. You've never used the word kingpin.
Speaker 1: But you did allege that she was involved or you speculated that she might have been involved in some bigger drug issue.
Speaker 2: She used the word kingpin. You've never used that word, but that sort of thing, I mean a person.
Speaker 4: And as far as our quote, our theory quote that she's was a drug addict and a compulsive liar, that wasn't our theory. That comes straight out of her mom's mouth.
Speaker 1: I think what Brian is referring to are a couple of things Kelly's mom, Deborah Moffatt, has said in the past. The first was in a report written by Sergeant Kilgore regarding Kelly coming forward. Kilgore wrote, quote, Miss Moffatt stated to me that this whole situation has ruined Kelly's life by her not being able to deal with the situation. Miss Moffittt stated to me that last spring Kelly called her on the telephone at four hundred hours crying. Kelly stated to Miss Moffittt, I saw Anastasia murdered. From that point on, according to Miss Moffatt, they have been chipping away on her, trying to get the whole story. I asked again when Kelly first told her this, and Miss Moffett stated that Kelly was lying to them a lot back then, and then said I better shut up then. On the stand, during cross examination, Deborah was asked if Kelly would mislead her about her drug use and other topics. Deborah said, in part quote, well, she was a drug addict. She was lying to me because she needed money. She wanted to come back home. I had a younger daughter at home. She knew if she came back home she could use drugs. I mean that's what a drug addict does. She couldn't really tell me the truth about any of her activity. Okay, back to Brian, you know.
Speaker 4: That's not us saying that she says that she was a compulsive liar and a drug addict. And the phone call that she has with Byron, she says, nobody's gonna believe me because I'm a crackhead, I'm a poke head, and I'm an alcoholic. You know. I mean, that's not us, that's her.
Speaker 2: I hear you.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: This has thrown me for a bit of a loop. I'm just being very honest with you.
Speaker 4: What are your concerns?
Speaker 2: I mean I could just hear in your voice. Yeah, I mean I'm upset.
Speaker 1: I've been up all night and like really concerned about this, because, first of all, I'm not thrilled with myself for not catching that. I think that for somebody who says is that they have told the truth and have been fighting a credibility issue, and this has been one of the things used against them to say, look, they're lying. And she very quickly pointed out something that could potentially prove that she's told the truth, that she really didn't have this sentence. She didn't spend time in jail for this, She wasn't on probation. That is worrisome to me, and I understand that, like the other issue is the Brady violations, that the prosecutors didn't hand this over.
Speaker 2: I do understand. I understand that.
Speaker 1: I guess I understand that you're saying that that's still that's doesn't change.
Speaker 5: Let me clarify the leg Stop you guys, stop, stop, stop, just answer answer this. Let me clarify the legal issue for you. The prosecutor is obliged to disclose if a witness they're using has any criminal convictions for felonies or misdemeanors. They were asked and they said none. And then in a deposition, Kelly Moffatt was asked, do you have any felonies or misdemeanor convictions, and she said, I've never even been in trouble with the police, So that's a lie. And so at the time of trial, the defense lawyer was entitled to prove that she had been arrested and charged, and frankly, under the circumstances, I think this was a minor in possession charge that got dropped down to a littering charge on a misdemeanor, because that's what the facts show, and so that's the record. And then we have a judgment that shows that she's facing a possibility of arrest and there's a warrant. There's an actual warrant connected to this case. That warrant is pending during the pendency of Byron's charges. That gives her in incentive. And it doesn't matter that the prosecutor played on it or used it. What matters is that that fact out there is an incentive for her to color her story, to cooperate with the police, to do what's necessary to avoid being taken into custody and go go cold turkey in a jail cell. It's not that it's a serious charge, it's that it's a charge that could result in her going to jail, But it's also a lie she told in a deposition and something the defense was entitled to use. But in terms of the overall story here, it's not the biggest thing that shows she's lying. It is a thing that could have been used, not just the conviction itself, but the fact that she lied about ever being in trouble with the police. So that's where it all fits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like the warrant was issued for her because she didn't show up to the arraignment.
Speaker 2: So that's why the warrant was.
Speaker 5: Issued, right, right, because the charge was pending, right, So that's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two, we don't know that there was a bigger charge or anything like possession. We don't know that to be the case, right, And my whole thing is like, now that we've seen this clerical error on the docket, what some of what was used to say Kelly might have worked with prosecutors to get out of something bigger, something that would have resulted in two years probation, forty eight hours shot jail time. We has been is not proven, has not been proven. We don't know that to be the case. So I get that the Brady violations are still there. I'm not taking anything away from that, but something that has been used to, you know, discredit her and make it seem like she and allude to the fact that she might have worked with prosecutors. I don't think that there there's I don't think the facts are there right now. I cannot we cannot prove that she was actually sentenced to that time and that probation. If you can find something that actually proves that that happened, then that's something different. But right now, with that clerical error, the whole that whole thing could be a clerical error because it says under other pages the only sentence was the fine.
Speaker 4: I would just like to.
Speaker 1: Say that the sheriff looked at the same court records that we're all looking at and came up with the same conclusion that that's what she was sentenced to. Yeah, but if the court record, the court docket is is erroneous, if it's false and they're reading he was reading the same or she was reading the same thing that we're reading from right and assuming the same thing, and he came to the same conclusion that that case was not connected with Kelly's case.
Speaker 2: But he didn't say that in that email.
Speaker 1: Now he says that it looks like she was sentenced to show time and probation say anything about another case. Right, he's saying, I read the court record that you read, and this is the conclusion.
Speaker 2: I came up with. Right, But we can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not proof of anything because we're as we're understanding, like there are falsehoods. There's like you know, there are clerical errors on them. I know that that's what you want in order to feel good about this, because I get as a journalist, you want to you want the proof before you start accusing people or giving people a platform to do damage to some I understand where you're coming from.
Speaker 4: I do, I get it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am.
Speaker 1: Just trying to be fair to both sides, and when something is brought to me, I have to go to the other side and ask about it.
Speaker 2: I mean I was stunned last night. I mean stunned.
Speaker 1: And you know, does she bring evidence of anything out? Like all the evidence that she has to prove her innocence, we.
Speaker 2: Would love to see.
Speaker 1: So if there's anything else that she has, I have searched this file inside it now and I have looked for things that can corroborate her story, and so if there's anything else, we'd love to know about it. She just screen grabbed the sentence for me and it said, you know, fourteen dollars and ninety five cents.
Speaker 4: And that's all that.
Speaker 1: That's the only evidence that she's offered you to corroborate any of her I mean, is there Yeah, because she says there's nothing else to prove, that's what she I means, She's like, I didn't do the time. That wasn't my sentence. Oh, I'm just talking about her story in general. I mean, it seems like she's really honed in on this.
Speaker 2: No, this is this has been from.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, last night to this morning, you know, I mean, this is what we're focused on, what I'm focused on right now. And yes there are questions about other things for sure, but this is this is the focus for right now.
Speaker 5: Well, it's what do you compare with I've never been in trouble with the police. You know, we can show that to a lie.
Speaker 2: I hear you, Sean, I really do.
Speaker 1: I also can understand and this is where maybe the Libra and me can get me in trouble sometimes because I can see side so very much. But I can see a young kid who's scared and is like, doesn't think a littering charge and a fine of fourteen dollars and ninety five cents is really getting in trouble with police. I'm sure she was surrounded by a lot of people in that drug world who were getting in real trouble with the police, and so she didn't actually consider it.
Speaker 4: So she said it go ahead. Sorry, I apologize, No, I was.
Speaker 1: Just gonna say, like what she said in her deposition, I mean, was she hiding something?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of understand her being like, it wasn't that big of a deal. I paid less than fifteen bucks to get out of it. If anything, to your point, it's the prosecutors who should have turned that over.
Speaker 4: Her description to you did not sound like it wasn't that big of a deal, she says. She vividly remembers now getting arrested by the Least Summit Police Department and extradited to Cooper County. And so you're saying that.
Speaker 2: You can, but she doesn't remember going to jail or being on probation.
Speaker 4: But she would have gone to jail if she tested and got extradited to Cooper County and by.
Speaker 1: Going to jail and being sentenced to jail or two different things.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, but not with what you're talking about. You're saying you believe what Kelly's saying that she would. Well, I totally slipped my mind when I'm in a deposition on a murder case when Byron's defense lawyer says, have you ever been convicted of a class of a misdemeanor or felony in state or federal court? And it just slips her mind because in her mind this was just some little ticket. No, it could not have been some little ticket in her mind at that time based on what she told you, she got picked up on a warrant and got transferred from Jackson County to two hours away to Cooper County to be arraigned. Right, And we have no idea, and she hasn't said yet. I'm sure she'll come up with a great story on what happened in between getting ac by the least Summit Police Department and showing up in court in Cooper County to plead guilty. But there's simply no way that that would not have been a big deal to her.
Speaker 6: This is handcuff She's being transported in a police vehicle in handcuffs, if that's not being in trouble with the police.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I guess what else can I don't know what else we could say about that. That's you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think she said she spent a little bit of time there until she was bailed out or whatever. But you know, yeah, I mean, I there's just I needed to ask you about it. If you can find anything that says that she actually was on probation or you know, spent forty eight hours in jail, obviously I would love to see it. As of right now, I can't say that I believe that that happened.
Speaker 2: And I think that this clerical error.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we know that, but there's a clerical error. We don't know the extent of it. And it's our job to assume that. When there's facts that could go either way, we have to look at them and what helps our client, what's in the best interests of our client. This clerical error has somebody else's case number on there, but it says consecutive with that case number, so in our mind and I'm reading this, it's what I just sent you. I just emailed it to you. I thought you would have already had it, and maybe you do. But that nothing about this rules out that she still got thirty days a suspended execution, a suspended execution of thirty days with two days shock time in two years probation. We still have evidence of that. It's what I just sent you. Maybe this other person also got that same sentence for a different class a misdemeanor, but that does not disprove that Kelly MafA did it. And even if it did again, that's not the central issue. The central issue is she was convicted of a misdemeanor, and she lied about it, and the prosecutor's office failed to disclose.
Speaker 5: It, and we couldn't find a relationship between the two cases, and so, you know, looking at it when we drilled down into it, it's a mistake by one number in that notation that this sentence is consecutive to that other sentence. The other sentence belongs to somebody else, but this sentence is Kelly's.
Speaker 1: For the record, the two case numbers are not even remotely alike. Each are twelve digits, which include both letters and numbers, but These two are not off by a digit or two. They are radically different. It seems the only thing Kelly and this Brendan person have in common is that two separate events happen in their cases on the same day. April third, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Did you ever look at Angie's.
Speaker 1: Angie Giannino is the friend Kelly was with when they were pulled over in Cooper County. You heard from Angie in episode eleven, And what did you find.
Speaker 2: From Angie's docket?
Speaker 4: We were just looking at that again recently. Let me see, let me find some notes here. I know for a fact that she showed up to her hearing. She did not have a warrant issue for her arrest, and she was fined two hundred and fifty dollars, but her charge was a Class B missdemeanor for exceeding the speed limit of twenty miles an hour or more.
Speaker 6: Because she successfully paid the fine and completed her probation, that won't be publicly available on case neet, but she had to get that a different.
Speaker 4: Way, and she well, this was on case net what I just said. Let's see, so she was That was June sixth of two thousand and that's the date that Kelly was also supposed to show up, and she skipped, and then it was a couple weeks after that that the warrant was issued for her arrest.
Speaker 1: And there's also an error on the date that they were arrested. I thought, in case at one point it said five on May fifteenth, but.
Speaker 2: It's actually April fifteenth.
Speaker 1: Why on this page does it only say the finest thirteen dollars. The sentence is fourteen dollars and ninety five cents.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, that's kind of one of those things that we're like, yeah, we know that this is an imperfect record, and that's why we've been waiting to not waiting, but trying to. You know, we've sent record requests to everybody. Nicole when we after we first found out about this issue, drove to Cooper County and went and looked looked for it physically, for records that we could find, you know, I mean, that's this is one of the problems you routinely run into with these kinds of cases, is that once it's been decades, you know, you're you're practically doing what's the word, I'm looking for archaeological examination, right, it's so I'm glad that Kelly able to, you know, say no, that that didn't happen. But at this point we still only have Kelly's word for it. And again, let's let's assume she's right and for some reason, her friend gets on a lower misdemeanor charge. Her friend gets two hundred and fifty dollars, but after having to issue a warrant that she's picked up on, she was only fined fifteen dollars. It's I don't know, it's just in my experience. There's we still got a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: It is interesting that Angie got a two hundred and fifty dollars fine and Kelly got only a fourteen dollars and ninety five cent fine. But how much would a minor be fined for a littering charge? Anything else anybody wants to say before we I would just like to say some of the stuff that Kelly said about Cooper County and getting arrested with Angie and taking her car back, I don't know, it's not true. I mean, Angie, we have an affidavid from Angie Gannino that contradicts that straight up. But I went back to Angie's affidavit, and she said this about what happened after she and Kelly were arrested. Quote, when we were pulled over, I was arrested and ticketed for driving ninety miles per hour in a seventy mile per hour zone. My vehicle was impounded and I was taken to the Cooper County jail. Kelly was ticketed for littering for throwing the bottle of alcohol out the window. I do not know if she was arrested. I do not know how she got back to Kansas City, Okay. Kelly told me that instead of impounding Angie's car, police gave Kelly Angie's car keys, and Kelly used Angie's car for a couple of days. I don't want to say more, but Kelly's not been truthful with you all the way. But I understand where you're coming from and wanting to Q and being worried and.
Speaker 4: Concerned, and we appreciate being fact checked. And yeah, I mean I think you So everything about our case still stands. Is arrested at least once, uh, which she denied ever being being in trouble with the police. She was convicted of a Class A misdemeanor which she lied about and which the prosecutors failed to disclose. That's the salient issue, and discovery and uh more investigation will get to the bottom of what exactly she was sentenced to. But if the only evidence refuting this is Kelly Moffatt, well that's hardly any evidence at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess what would it take for you to build it? And I'm not kelly spokesperson. I'm just asking these questions. What would take? What would it take for you to believe that Kelly in fact was not sentenced to forty eight hours shop jail time in two years probation.
Speaker 4: I would probably say some certified record that shows that that's all it was that or I don't know, a cashed check or some document or or the testimony of some other credible person other than Kelly that was there. You know, something along those lines would would be helpful. Obviously. You know, it's hard to sit anywhere and say, oh, well, if this happened. You know, every time something comes up, we're gonna have questions, and especially if it's something that Kelly is relying on. But but yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say we're not for our purposes. What she was sentenced to is almost beside the point, you know. The point is what we've already mentioned, that she was convicted, that she was in trouble, and that she lied about it, right.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean she was was in this morning, still very upset about this, just so you know, very upset.
Speaker 4: I mean that's Byron's been in prison for almost twenty five years because of her lives. So I don't really care if she's upset. But I'm glad you thanks for Tommins.
Speaker 1: I think our goals and this aren't you know, they're at the end of the day. You come from a journalist's point of view, and we're just presenting facts as.
Speaker 4: We see them.
Speaker 1: We may have, you know, hypotheticals. That's our job, you know, is to try to figure out what happened. And but I mean, I think I'm sorry to interrupt you, Nicole.
Speaker 2: I think the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I think Kelly's point right now is that she's been fighting credibility issues for a very long time and here's an example of something that's being used, wrongfully used against her, and she's like, I told you this didn't happen. This is a clerical error. This, This did not happen, and this is an example of stuff that's been used against me to try to make me look like a liar.
Speaker 2: And she's like, yes, I've lied in the past.
Speaker 1: There are things that I can't remember, but I remember the important stuff. She remembers what she said about Byron, and she remembers what she witnessed Byron.
Speaker 2: Do she remembers not.
Speaker 1: Going to jail and not spending being sentenced to probation, and you know, it's I don't know, I just.
Speaker 4: Well, and just just to put things in context too. What Kelly says about this is we learned about it when we were listening to the podcast. Right, We've never had it. We have yet to have the opportunity to find out anything more about this, you know. And we and when we asked Angie what she knew about it, she said, I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened after it. I don't know what happened with Kelly's thing, Right, She said that to me too, Yeah, and so and we we know for a fact though she got a warrant, and she got picked up on a warrant, and it seems very strange to me that a rural county judge would issue a bench warrant, and then once the person shows up in his courtroom on that bench warrant on a Class A misdemeanor, he says, Oh, never mind, I'm only going to sentence you to fifteen dollars. Fine. I just don't that. I still have a lot of questions about that, and just Kelly's word that that's all that happened just doesn't to me. That's not doesn't really move me.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you everyone, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, it's still great, I hope. Yeah, we're passionate about this.
Speaker 2: Thanks everyone, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: The next day, Brian and I speak again. One of the things Brian says is he doesn't want me to think the team was trying to pull one over on me. Okay, this was supposed to be our last episode, but there's still so much left to share, like what Byron's legal team and Byron have to say about some of Kelly's allegations, and what they have to say when I ask them. Some of your questions and mine. To see photos, maps, and documents really to this season's story. Follow the Real Killer podcast on Instagram and at TRK podcast on TikTok. The Real Killer is a production of AYR Media and iHeartMedia, hosted by me Leah Rothman, Executive producers Leah Rothman and Elisa Rosen for AYR Media. Written by Leah Rothman, Editing and sound design by Cameron Taggi, Mixed and mastered by Cameron Taggi, Audio engineer Justin Longerbeam studio engineer Graham Gibson, Legal consul for AYR Media. Jonni Douglas, executive producer for iHeartMedia, Maya Howard