Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 3: In a bright egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg, Frida egg egg egg, Frida egg bride egg lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I'm your host, Andy Johnson, and today I will be joined by Jeff Shackelford. Jeff is the founder of the Quadrilateral. Really one of the I would say, I don't know if he would like this framing, but he's one of the original gangsters of the golf Internet, the ogs of the golf Internet. You know, I grew up reading his writings, his books, his blog, Jeffshackle for dot com. Now he's got a great newsletter. It's worth reading. Obviously, a Los Angeles native, was on site all week at the US Women's Open, and it's been a while since we caught up. So I wanted to talk to Jeff about a myriad of subjects, including the Women's Open, his re release of grounds for Golf, as well as Shinnacock. So before we get to Jeff let's talk about our friends at golf Genius. They have a new app called golf Shot and it's a GPS and scoring app designed to help golfers improve their game through course management, automatic shot tracking, and deep stats and analysis via a smartpha a smart watch integrations. It provides enhanced GPS maps in real time distances over forty seven thousand courses worldwide, plus digital scorecards and statistics so you can review your performance after every round. Golf Shot and golf Genius have also built the integration that lets you play and score golf Genius tournament events directly into golf Shot. That's pretty neat, I mean, the ability to get your stats from tournament scores is really cool. For being the first golf GPS app in the App Store to integrate with an Apple Watch, to introducing swing idea and now a swing analysis. Check out how golf Shot continues to earn its place as the world's most powerful and trusted en course GPS, scoring, stats and shot tracking app. Check out the free edition and Apple in the Apple App Store or Google Play or upgrade for the all unique and powerful features of golf Shot Pro. You know, Father's Day right around the corner a good way to celebrate Dad. No golf loving dad doesn't love going to Golf Galaxy. Are you ready to upgrade your game? If so, there's no better play to get dialed with the latest clubs up and down the bag at Golf Galaxy. It's easy and convenient with in app booking or stop by your local store to schedule. Bring in your full bag of gamer clubs and their team of thoroughly trained fitters will optimize for every club in your bag and get you playing your best golf. Visit your local Golf Galaxy or download the Golf Galaxy mobile app, or do both. All right, I welcome in the great Jeff Shackelford, the owner of the Quadrilateral, A must read newsletter on substack well worth, well worth the subscription price every year. You're missing out if you're not, if you're not getting it. To be completely honest, Jeff, you're fresh off of home game, getting ready for another one, A little home stand for you. The Lateral focuses on the majors of golf. So yeah, the US Women's Open just this past weekend at Riviera. You're gearing up for the Curtis Cup this week before hopping on a flight to Shinney. Uh. This is the busiest the quad's ever been here.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Uh, not ideal, but not as bad as it is for the USGA staff, a different people who are working, you know, at least two of the three weeks and trying to do all the things I do with golf's longest stay in between. So I'm not going to complain. And it's a lot of fun. When it's a home game. It just makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm.
Speaker 3: Uh, I've been excited about this Curtis Cup for a while now, after you know, just the Walker Cups, and I do I do do the cup events that matter.
Speaker 1: In the newsletter as well, So we'll leave it at that. I'm i'm but I'm excited.
Speaker 3: It's it's going to be a good run, and I think Shinna Cock's going to be much better this time.
Speaker 2: I'm just worried about you and the media center food for three straight weeks, you know, That's That's what I'm worried about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a challenge, but thankfully the current us g A group values a little bit well. They value food that's edible and occasionally healthy so well, and the coffee is key. We get they they feed us great coffee, as you know, and that's really, you know, writers, really the food isn't that important to us. It's it's the Wi Fi, the parking, and the coffee situation. So when you look at it that way, the USGA usually does pretty well.
Speaker 2: I don't want to date you. Were you ever in media centers as a young, young, enterprising golf journalist where we're smoking was allowed?
Speaker 3: No, I grew up. I've been on airplanes with smoking. I am old enough for that, but no, no, I've been in a press center with what was the thing after typewriters.
Speaker 1: They're they're sort of that they're not.
Speaker 3: A teletype, but it's a it's I watched Jim Murray work on this with with water dripping from the cart barn roof there at Riviera, just unfazed.
Speaker 1: So I try to think.
Speaker 3: Of that when I'm really whining one day, Like you know, I've got literally I can I have a camera in my phone.
Speaker 1: I mean, the equipment's amazing. I can put it all on a backpack.
Speaker 3: I've got a laptop and I think, you know, Jim Murray was trying to bang out brilliant stuff, which he did in far worse working conditions. So and I can't even imagine a room full of typewriters and smoking.
Speaker 1: And I just I have asked people about the old Augusta.
Speaker 3: They said it wasn't just that then, it was the Quantt Hut and where the acoustics were just it wasn't like our little cafe there.
Speaker 1: Now with a nice wood ceiling. It was just aluminum.
Speaker 3: And I don't know everybody got anything done, much less wrote a decent article.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, I just think about this. This is probably true of like a lot of professions, like anybody that watched mad Men and like you know, just the day the day of a New York ad Men, like you know, with the boozy life. The thing that made golf journalism or any sports journalism go was like a concoction of cigarettes, coffee and alcohol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is the one area where I do gripe still.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, the master serves up.
Speaker 3: They opened the bar right after the champions press conference. And you can tell how I feel about the winner based on if both hands are full with an azalea, with the cosamigos.
Speaker 1: Although they changed tequila this year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I've gotten some funny looks in recent years, Sandy, when I've asked, do we have any we have any beer wine? You know, these stories don't write themselves on a Sunday night, especially when you get a Brian Harmon win or something and they, you know, new times, they look at you like huh. And Longhurst just brought the gin in. Of course, we can't even bring something in. And then he of course famously had a he was hammered on the air on CBS.
Speaker 1: He had a vase.
Speaker 3: I have no idea how he got up and down that stand on seventeen. It's it's a it's scary, but he did it.
Speaker 2: Not to not to do a hard transition. Well, I will say, you know, one of my great regrets is that every every Sunday of the Masters, it looks like just such a wonderful time. The bar opens, and I'm always scurrying out to record a podcast. Yeah, it's just like, you know, the world's smallest violin hazards of your occupation. But that's what I always have to do. I bypassed the bar, say goodbye to everybody. It is always interesting to be also who's already got their story done by the time. Yeah, it's like the story is all written. I'm just thrown in a quote here, a quote there, and I'm hitting the open bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the newsletter world. I can't do that. And then I I understand why people do it.
Speaker 3: But especially the last couple of years, it's it's it's actually fun to be there late, see who's grinding, and it does help to have that little bit of lubrication in case it's But I mean, the last two have been pretty special to write about, but you could probably imagine there were a couple others recently that we're a little more work.
Speaker 2: All Right. You've watched a ton of golf at Riviera through the years and professional events. You've played a ton of golf at Riviera. It's probably the golf course you've spent the most time at in your life. I'm guessing. What was it like watching the greatest women take Riviera on at this week's US Women's Open.
Speaker 3: It was incredible, Andy and unfortunately will make me more bitter and more obnoxious about the distance issue.
Speaker 1: But it was.
Speaker 3: Just stunning to see how certain holes played. What it was like to watch certain hazards and bunkers have meaning, and really the setup was was just right in terms of being generous there. Yeah, I had my quibbles with all locations, days used, and some teas were up surprisingly short that weren't needed, things like that, But overall the rough was perfect because it was it was. It was tough, but you could all kind of You could get some good lies, you could get some horrible lies, and Nelly hit some incredible recoveries from it that my Angelino fellow Angelina's didn't really quite understand how good they were, but we can.
Speaker 1: Talk about that.
Speaker 3: It was I'm very all air on the side of an ignorant cloud crowd over an obnoxious one, and this was just a wonderful crowd. The vibes out there were just amazing, and a lot of kids too. But yeah, so to see the tenth hole play the way it did, yeah, I put a stat in the newsletter today. The women largely laid up and even the ones who drove it got typically nobody really finishes on the green when they drive it, and they still hit sixty nine percent of the shots and regulation hitting into the green, and the men this year were seventy three all basically playing as a par three. Nobody laid up this year. And to me, if the data gurus who have driven this mindset of just drive the green and take your chances thing, I would hope they'd look at that number and go, huh, so we were only four percent better doing the bomb and gouge thing. And yet but bringing in all this stress with the shenanigans that can take place going back and forth, and the bunkers and the bottle brush trees and all the stuff you see there. So I doubt they will, but I think it'd be interesting to know how those conversations go before the next Genesis based on what the women did laying up.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting too about that is if you take a US Women's Open field, like the bottom third of that field is like I mean, you're comparing the Genesis, which is a small signature event literally the one hundred best players in the world. You know, of course, before the live people get back, roughly one hundred of the one hundred and twenty players of the world are at that event. And you know the US Women's Open you have you know, young kids qualifying, you have a wide array of players and skills just because of the open nature. It's one of the things that makes the tournament great. But it is like an aspect of it's this giant field and there's a lot of players that aren't to the up to stuff of uber Elite, and it's so those data, the data numbers, you know, and we have a lot of unfaithful data experts in the community data community of golf, but a faithful one that was you know, really using their braid by might like, you know, move that number up even more because of to you know, kind of try and equal the data out, yeah, or you or the takeaway is that women are significantly better wedge players than men.
Speaker 3: I think that's an I think that's a discussion that's legitimate to have because you know, I sit back there at that green a lot with Doug Ferguson and over the years, and and it does shock me that there's literally Alex Norin and Justin Thomas, who are some of the last guys to lay up and Tiger hit a shot similar to this that hit a high cutting, soft landing wedge. It's just unbelievable. How many of these these guys just hit this thing that's just coming in hot and you're like, well, what do you expect it to do when it lands? And Thomas always it's this high soft thing and Atlanta takes one bounce soft bounce and and that's why he lays out or used to lay up, even he drove it this year. But I think it is a legitimate thing to wonder about as to what are you doing with a wedgeineer and do you not have other shots that you can take something off it? And because you do need to hit it with a little bit of cut spin just the way the green is shaped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what were there any other holes that kind of stood out besides ten as ones that you just you know, hadn't seen played in that manner in a long time.
Speaker 1: The part fives, all three of them, even though they played the seventeenth, which is historically a long part five that was never reachable until recent years.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean people literally knew the players who had reached it over the years, you know, Weiss Cough, John Daily, Tom Layman.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was literally a one page list until the juice equipment era, and now it's now it's reachable if there's any helping win for probably at least half the field of a normal genesis. But so yeah, watching so number one had had real meaning and you had woods going into it, the wind picked up yesterday you got a couple I think one or two maybe long irons in So that was fun. That boomerang green had had real meaning in terms of I saw a lot of women I thought misplay it. By the way, surprising how many women play a draw, and because you just don't see a draw anymore with the men unless it's an intentional shot trying to get around a corner or something. And I was surprised at that because it really it's a beautiful green to hit a cut into it with a wood and feed it down to pretty much every whole location, but maybe yesterday's which is in this back wing.
Speaker 2: And then at number eleven, think about the draw.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this was the case with you as a junior, but I feel like all the juniors of my you know, not all of them, but a lot of them when I was growing up, you hit a draw because you needed to hit the ball further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And that's probably the case.
Speaker 2: Right, because you get that overspin and you get you can get five ten extra yards and the way the equipment change was that, you know, the knuckle cut came to be with the pro v one x, and as soon as the knuckle cut became a formidable opponent to the distance you could get out of a draw, nobody played played the draw anymore. It was actually a huge disadvantage. But where you're trying to pick up extra yards, and I think for the women's like ten extra yards is huge.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, there's no question that's that's why some of them are doing it. But I again, I was still shocked how many that was their predominant shot shape. Uh say, Young Kim used it a lot and uh and it's not typically a good golf course for a draw a right hander straw. But you know, she obviously didn't phaze her because she was right there to the end. So yeah, So so that was one thing on one that was interesting to see because now it's just a three wood and uh and six iron, seven iron and uh. They a lot of guys also hit it into the where the merchandise tent was and the media tent in the practice the old practice fairway and the fan village early in the week, all all of the sort of Riviera locals that I know, we were all looking at it, like, what is the USGA doing. They're gonna get bombarded over there. That's where the the you know, the third of the shots seems like the men are over there, partly because you know, you're nervous on the first tee. Sometimes people just floil one out second hal for whatever reason, they always go right. Everybody's you have all the world to the left. But anyway, the women hit it much straighter and there were very few balls over there. I I uh so that U that was the USGA's view is that they just hit a straighter But the part five eleventh they played from the same tea as the men and knowing that there was going to be a good helping sea breeze. No sant Ana wins during this time of year, and it was just fantastic because you really they also pushed the rough line or the rope line back on the right so that the rough had meaning on the trees, which I'm not a huge advocate of that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But it really is great because.
Speaker 3: It brought the baranca that intersects the whole, you know, halfway bisex the whole, and it's at a beautiful little angle the way it sits so you can get over on the right, and many many times back in the old days of different equipment, that was you know, what do you do do you get over the baranca on tour? Do you lay up and then have a wood endo the green? And we saw that restored. It really meant you had to get the t shot in the fairway and it was a blast to watch. And but then the wind got to the point where they hit basically where the guys hit it yesterday.
Speaker 1: They had some huge.
Speaker 3: Drives because it was really howling at that point, but it was still a true three shotter. And then seventeen was really fun as a reachable part five and it was just the right thing kind of in the mix of holes it would have been pretty boring.
Speaker 1: Is just from the back tee as just a old school three shotters.
Speaker 3: So those were the holes that really stood out to me in just terms of because as you know the field first few days, there's some really short hitting, there's some very young players, and Shannon's set up airing on the side of making sure they tried to get them around with the tees. She also though used some all locations that are some of the hardest on the course, so I didn't quite understand that, but there were some te's that were way up and so it distorted a little bit how those holes played. But all in all, it was a really great setup and just so fun to see some more dynamics brought back to the golf course that are just just completely gone when the Genesis comes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I that was kind of one of my big takeaways, like seeing a lower trajectory shot in you know, effectively you know, made made angles more important. And then also the hazards just in general were so much greater of penalty, but also so many more in play. And you know, you mentioned the Baranca on eleven. I mean, think about the Genesis. Sometimes you got guys taking three wood just keep it short of it, and like you're seeing some of the best women in the world heavy to lay up in front of it and hit hit you know, lumber in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh yeah, it really has has Uh it was really eye opening to to and and I just started looking at some of the comparisons on the shot link numbers and uh it, you know, the one thing with the women hitting it shorter the eighth hole, which is all screwed up anyway, but it almost nobody went left I think fifteen times on the alternate fairway because the tea is in the wrong spot anyway. But then it's also was a little far back, so that was one hole where the lack of distance didn't make things pop. But overall it just it really I'm really at the point now I'm going to reflect on a little bit more. But I and you know, I use the reference juice equipment era, but more and more, you just after seeing something like that, you just you start to say, well, I mean, are we are in our equivalent of the steroid era?
Speaker 1: The records?
Speaker 3: Really we should start questioning whether some of these things should count because the advantage of men get from from the modern equipment and what they're doing and what it means.
Speaker 1: Just it really is.
Speaker 3: It's pitiful at this point, and it's so less interesting to watch, and the fact that we're still having this discussion trying to explain to people that you're losing shop making and variety of playing styles and all that stuff is it's it's incredible that we're we have this group of players who are holding onto this for one reason and coming up with this crap about tree removal, and it's pitiful.
Speaker 1: It's just pitiful.
Speaker 3: And by the way, just on that note, the women I never heard Poa mentioned once. They didn't whine about anything. Now the golf course is immaculate, and the fringes they've done beautiful work. So I mean, you saw say Young and yesterday Nelly, because they were missing a lot of greens early hit these shots at landed right on the edge of the collar that in the old days would have just stopped. And they got, you know, to three feet and got up and down. So the maintenance is amazing and better in June, no question. But it's not like it's bad in February now.
Speaker 2: And so if if Elly's putt hits that lip, which I can't believe it hit the lip even know if the lip and missus she might have played the poe.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I mean her explanation afterwards it was was more of a mysterad. But I when I saw the because I was over to the side when I saw the replay.
Speaker 1: No, she she pulled that a little bit that looked like a pole she had.
Speaker 3: Oh it would have been painful. I mean, it would have been a playoff. But and her attitude was so good that I actually think she would have not been devastated by it like some people were. I mean, her attitude is just incredible, how different it is from just five six years ago when I saw it well shure, and how easily she was annoyed by mostly slow play stuff.
Speaker 1: And now she's just so.
Speaker 3: Calm, graceful, just just the temperament, the vibe. She's just so relaxed and and just doesn't look nervous at all. But yeah, that was a that was a bit of a yank.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the big story, you know, outside of you know, Riviera is kind of a sidebar. The big story is the you know, most recognizable women's golfer, the number one player, without a doubt, number one player in the world now is one the first two majors of the year, you know, with Nelly and the LPGA, the greater sport of women's golf. Do you do you see this week as a potential jumping off point for the sport to reach new levels or you know what in your mind, what needs to happen for you know, you had written earlier in the week about some of the lackluster crowds at riv like, what has to happen for women's golf to capture a bigger slice of the pie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the crowds really were more a product of the time of year and going to a market, just like they did with Houston. When you go to a golf course where the tour is in the same year, it's just never worked well historically in the game, and the USGA had vowed to stop doing that, accept at Pebble Beach, and same with the RNA essentially with the old course, which is just different. Pebble Beach is just different and nobody minds seeing those places twice a year and all that. But in LA there's a lot going on as graduation day on Thursday for a lot of local high schools, so it wasn't a shock. I don't think it was really a statement about the women's game. I thought the marketing was kind of weird too, not a lot of visibility locally, a lot of TV ads and things like that, So I don't think you can really pin that on the women. I actually think a lot of the best thing that can happen for the women's game is to not have the conversation of is this a jumping off point, what can we do now, because you get a lot of that with the coverage of the LPGA, and I think that's a turnoff to people. I think it's all also there's almost it's showing weakness in a way, like, well, shouldn't the topic just be what a what a great champion she is and what an incredible.
Speaker 1: Leader board it was?
Speaker 3: Gabby Lopez, Bertie's the eighteenth hole to tie the club Outlee, Charlie Hall goes sixty five, sixty seven. It's yeah, I mean you look at the diversity of the leaderboard just agent and uh nationality and.
Speaker 2: Character, ales of play too. Where you are Ellie super long obviously great, you know, Charlie Hull, longer player, but then you have Gabby Lopez who's a slow who's a shorter player player too slow player too.
Speaker 1: That was a nice starting slip there.
Speaker 2: Yeah she.
Speaker 3: Short, Gaby, Gabby Slopez is on the list of great great nicknames. But yeah, yeah, and how fun is that to have this? And then you know, Kiera Romero comes out and how about the amateur play was baking?
Speaker 2: There were so many your tally at Breene and Africa in the.
Speaker 3: Mix, and this Pharaoh O'Keefe from who just won the NCAA is are already in the top three best interviews in the game. You'll see a little bit of her this week at the Curtis Cup. Just a natural, smart but interesting. She's not just a good talker, she actually has great insights. So, yeah, you have I think it's just better to focus on those things than what can they do now. But there's no question that when they go to these venues, and as much as I think going to Riviera is a negative in terms of the market and getting people there, it is such a positive that they are on these places or going to a Chicago golf club in a few years, you know, tapping into these places that can no longer host the men like a wheelsher and I think they just really need to keep doing that. And yeah, and it's fine if the women want to say, that's really cool, we're getting to play where the men are, because it's not. It's it's more about the history of the game than it is some sort of equal rights push. I think that's what people don't really need to hear. I think it's more important that you just do the right things, go to the right venues, put them out there, set up the course right, don't set it up so easy and try to do this birdiefest.
Speaker 1: Thing which the LPGA has done.
Speaker 3: I think to the point it's kind of weird, but you know, they can handle a good test.
Speaker 1: They just show that.
Speaker 3: I just don't you know, people don't know how Kkuya when it's this time of year is so tough, and they have first they worked so hard early in the week to watching you know, I watched Gino just just trying all these different shots around the greens. It was so cool, but they did it. You know, I just didn't see that that look you see in past events of Revere with Kokua thriving in the summertime, the Senior Open and the PGAs where they were just befuddled, and some of that's a maintenance. Some of that was the hard work of the of the women. So I think it's just a matter of really more admiring the skill and the talent and and it always helps to have a a tiger like thing going on, which is about where we kind of were getting with Nelly. Now with two majors and we're going to have a Grand Slam.
Speaker 4: Discussions interested in the Grand Slam with two chances, where if she doesn't accomplish one, she's still.
Speaker 1: The quater covers four majors.
Speaker 3: Uh and and is not acknowledged the Avion because Mike Wan and friends when he.
Speaker 1: Was there made it a major.
Speaker 3: So no, I'm not interested in the Super Slam, the Denny's the Slam with a side and now there should be four majors, and if she wins the next two, as far as I'm concerned, she's She's just pulled off one of the greatest feats in the history of the game.
Speaker 2: I mean, you think about it. With the way she's playing. Obviously, this year has been a basic slew of runner ups, a bunch of wins. I think her worst finish is a T eight at this point. Yeah and uh and you go in. The next major in a couple of weeks is at Hazel Team, which you know, it notoriously sets up well for long hitters who hit the ball, who drive the ball well, and that's what she does exceptionally, so it opens up there. I thought, you know this this event just in terms of you know, if you go from really like late Saturday into Sunday, was an all time finish with Nelly's burning the last three on on Saturday to set up set herself up into the final group. You get obviously Charlie Hull surging, you know, another uh you know, high profile, big name surging into contention with like an electric first eleven holes, and then you already have you have other world class players with Inji Chun say Young Kim at the top of the board. You know, this this event all timer obviously at all time stage. But you know something I took away from it just as as someone who's right now on the Eastern East coast time and this you know you were on the ground all week, is just you know, it really worked for the schedule, like the golf schedule in terms of they were after the the after memorial, they were you know, on Saturday night it was on you know, they went late and you know, I finished a long day with my family and I turn on and I'm like in the middle the middle of like the coverage window, and it's like everybody on my on my you know team here in my in my in my house is happy and I could enjoy a little bit of golf, you know, and it's like the whole thing worked really well. It makes me, you know, it makes me always wonder why we fight West Coast Golf in the summer so much, because it just seems to work for everybody's schedule.
Speaker 3: It does, and it's you know, in the tour I think recognizes that just on some of the conversation I've seen and heard. Whether they have the venues is another story, which again makes their resistance on the distance issue just laughable, because there really aren't a lot of venues that you can go to. So that's why they're always knocking on the door of a riviera Tory Pines. I can't believe they haven't scooped up Chambers Bay. I mean, just such a great sports market. We saw, Yeah, the course had some flaws in the US Open and they got carried away, and we can talk about set up stuff, the idea of trying to get the course in Sunday conditions on the Sunday before things like that tainted the place. But I'm just shocked that they haven't been all over that. And you know, San Francisco's a little trickier, but Olympics got a lot coming and you're absolutely right, you know the one obviously, I hear all about how there was nobody out there. Well, it's seven o'clock on a Saturday night, and there was nobody at Ironomic at the end of the days either and these these majors. It happens at the Open, it happens at the Masters. I know people don't want to say it, but Thursday and Friday, it's kind of embarrassing when you have the best groups out there and there's empty grand stands.
Speaker 1: These these majors need.
Speaker 3: To think about an after three pm ticket and some things that maybe maybe a little mini concert, you know something, or do something to kind of you know, Todd, tap into some of these great groups that they run events for a long time and think about these things and to get some some people out there, because that is it's a bad look. There's no question the energy is not the same. Like you said, she Berdie's the last three holes we had some incredible scores. I mean the pins were really easy those last few holes. They were right in the middle of the green. But yeah, there wasn't much energy. And you're on national television and so that's a that's an important thing. They need to all the all the groups. It's not just the women's game. This happens in all the majors. But to your point, yes, and then the weather, of course was just brilliant, perfect for set up for golf, for for watching golf, and you're not dealing with the thunderstorm stuff that you get in the South and in August. So yeah, it's a it's a mystery, but uh, the USGA sees it. And that's why Rivie is gonna have a US Open somehow in twenty thirty one.
Speaker 1: I don't know where they're gonna put anything, but it's coming.
Speaker 2: It'll be, uh, it'll be just a smaller I like, I wonder about Marion. Where's everything going at Marion?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, Marian worked fine.
Speaker 3: I thought, I know there were some issues and they're going to fix those, just like they're going to fix some things at Chinnacok. But Riviera it's just, uh, it's it's really a tough site for the things that go with the US Open and then the golf course being I mean, maybe they're thinking they're going to have you know, drone floating teas in twenty thirty one that they can play the first hole from. I mean, they're going to be trying to drive over the Branka in twenty three to have a.
Speaker 2: New ball maybe, oh please, even though even though you know Cam youngs already playing the new ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tried to ask the USGA if if their testing confirm that, but they can't.
Speaker 1: The lawyers are just no, no, we can't. That's we can't address that.
Speaker 3: So I'm a little skeptical of that situation. I'll be honest with you. You know, there are a lot of people who want to kill this thing for some reason. So, uh, I'm I'm a little skeptical of the uh of how how true that is. But well, well, I mean the USGA people have been pretty confident for a while about this this new testing and how it would impact things. But either way, it's still not enough and there's too much consensus on the driver for that to have been addressed. And it's depressing to think we'd have to start a whole new comment period and the whole process over again, even though they got right to the edge with the driver before.
Speaker 2: That's the crazy thing to be about the whole discussion. It's like we've got to a place where it seems like the players are actually like kind of like, yeah, we can go to a smaller driver head. That's that's the reasonable. Like some of the loudest voices anti rollback are with the ball, are like, well, where you're looking at the wrong thing, you should be looking at the driver head. And I just don't understand if you're going to spend all the political capital that the USGA has spent. I think we both agree that something like I don't care how you do it, something has to happen, something has to happen. And you know this is you know they like to say it's only for the for the best in the world. Is a distance problem. This is problems all through the recreational game, and like nobody wants to address Like I have friends that are sixteen handicaps that can hit the ball three hundred yards and I'll tell you what, Like when they hit one, they're out by me. But when they don't get it quite right, it is all over the place, and nobody seems to want to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think yeah, And that's the biggest problem is you and I will say distance problem, and somebody will listen to that and go, what a what a couple old farts who are just don't like seeing people the athleticism. It's not that we're talking about safety issues even before the architecture. Yeah, you know, it's and they will never talk about the safety issue because again the lawyers have said, well, we could get sued if we acknowledge that it's created safety issues.
Speaker 2: What's wild to be is like I hand people. You know, I play retro clubs a fair amount and inevitably, like everybody wants to hit them, and people are like terrified to hit these clubs, but then they hit them.
Speaker 3: Wow, and I don't want to put a big skeech mark on the top of your pretty percent And yeah.
Speaker 2: If they hit it wrong bad, they're always like, oh wow, that like that wasn't that bad? Like what people don't realize. And this is where I get frustrated about like not going after the driver head is like the driver head is everything. I mean, like, all of a sudden it becomes like a you know, the ball is important, but the driver head is where the idea of like the mentality in your head do I want to go at this becomes actually a question. It's not a for like four hundred.
Speaker 1: And sixty ccs.
Speaker 2: It is a foregone conclusion that I am just swinging hard at this thing. Yeah, the driver head makes it a question. And when it becomes a question that that's the game. And what's fascinating to me is that I actually believe that the recreational would get better.
Speaker 3: Mmm with with a with with a smaller head or with the change that the smaller with the driver face.
Speaker 2: With the smaller head, because the ball gets on the ground faster, the misses aren't as bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah hmm, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has the recreational golfer gotten better with all this equipment? I don't think it has.
Speaker 1: I think the handicapped ATA backs that up.
Speaker 2: Like, so people haven't gotten better despite all this equipment. And what it's done is create this whole chain of events like it's all the sham.
Speaker 3: Yeah you mean zero torque putters don't make you pop better?
Speaker 2: Uh well, I will say that I actually think that's.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, we were watching.
Speaker 2: We were watching. We did a rewatchable on the eighty six US Open the other day.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: It's like you see these like horrendous potts people hit and it's like, well they're using like a little bulls.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you had this sweet like tiny on that thing, tiny and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, it's windy, like I mishit it and it comes up eight feet short, like I look like an idiot.
Speaker 3: Greens weren't as good then either, But yeah, no, okay, well yeah no, and I I don't you know. That's what that's the difficult conversation with the average player is what you've just laid out. There's definitely some truth to that. It's just but but it's a tough case to make. And that's why I think it's just more important to have bifurcation and special rules for elite competition and then if it if it tends to feed down from there, we know people there are people who still want to play with the pros play and not what although that that is also changing if you talk to people. The the influencer groups are having more influence on club sales increasingly than the pros, which makes the are argument against bifurcation even more ridiculous. That there's less money going to these guys to endorse his stuff, there's less reason for them to be defending it in the name of selling people what they play. So but it still makes the most sense because every other sport doesn't. And again, the safety thing Like I said, you know, the first first two holes a riv they get bombarded down there in the practice fair way and it just didn't happen last week because it's it's they play a different game even than the women.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Uh. You know, if you if you zoom out and think about the next twenty years of golf, I would I would say that this is that the light is coming. You know that, Hey, pro golf isn't everything. Isn't the torch carrier of influence that it wasn't If you look at the growth of golf. The growth of golf has been huge in recreational areas and you know basically every metric the growth is up and rounds played, you know, participation that those numbers do not bear out at the pro goff viewership level, right like that that is you know they're yeah, the PGA Tours had a nice run, but these are incremental gains. There's nothing compared to what you're seeing at the recreational level which bears out. Like there's this whole idea of like people watch pro golf and start to play golf. Is not the case. Maybe it happens, and I think it does happen. But like, the reality is people who watch pro golf are golfers already, and they're coming into the game for the other virtues of the game, and that's the important thing to think about. It's like, really, like this thing isn't about pro golfers. It shouldn't be about pro golfers. Framing is pro golf when you think about there's maybe fifty million golfers in the United States. I don't know what the exact number is if you.
Speaker 3: Include people who are you know, somehow tied to the game, you know, top golf people and simulator golfers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the numbers really up there now if you include all that.
Speaker 2: So you have this huge number that's grown a sizable amount, and it's like, oh good, Pja tourtelcast is three billion people. That's a tiny percentage to have such an outsized influence on what's happening with the overall sport and who governs the actual sport.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing I disagree on is that I do think when people I mean, I just saw it at Riviera. There were so many kids, and I do think and the way the women treat the kids, by the way, is just spectacular, you know, signing autographs, fist bumps. I mean, Nelly's just fist bumping kids on every ta and feeding off that energy. I do think pro golf has an influence on people playing and loving the game when they come to it tournament in person and see great golf, or see people like the women last week and what class acts they are, or when they come to the Genesis, they get a little extra excitement watching them play and seeing what guys do. I think that element, but I agree with you the TV part is and severely overrated. It's more of a discussion point really and something to chat about between golfers. But does it really inspire people. I think we know there are just so many other things that have been I mean obviously COVID, but top golf, simulator stuff, There's all sorts of things, influencers and YouTube golf. I think that you would put the PGA Tour it make the top ten, but it's definitely not in the top five of things that have grown the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that this has been something that's been illuminated over the last you know, five to ten yearsarticularly post COVID, where the veils really kind of come off as the success of golf has you know, gone way different, way, different trajectory than the success of pro golf. Do you have any party thoughts out of the US Women's opened before we get to the next topic here at hand?
Speaker 3: No, I think that, well, it depends on what the next topic is.
Speaker 1: But now I know, I just I think that's the thought.
Speaker 3: I'd leave you with what I mentioned earlier, that it really highlighted just how absurd the equipment is in the men's game and how different it is from the rest of what everybody.
Speaker 1: Else is playing.
Speaker 3: And guys have to do what they have to do to try to make a living, but it's it's a less attractive game, it's a less interesting game. And the women because I really I wasn't sure how they'd handle the cocuya it is.
Speaker 1: It's just hard to convey.
Speaker 3: I do those little videos of my newsletter, it's hard to convey to people this time of year, when it's when it's spongier, just getting the club through it and then where to land it and all the dynamics with firm greens, and the greens were firm and thirteen and I was just blown away because the women's short game seeing seven eight years ago, ten years ago was often sometimes really hard to watch how poor they were. And I asked Roger Cleveland one time, you know, why why are the women's short games they're little touch shots so bad? He's they don't practice. I'm just always it's nothing to do with the balance. And anyway, my point is it's clear they've they've all worked really hard on that front, and and it was so much more fun watching those little shots and the creativity and you know, taking away outside and cutting across it. I saw, you know, just way less mechanical than the men. So there's a lot to learn from the women just now watching them around the greens, which is a really cool change in their in their game in the last decade.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this watch of that eighty six US Open. Is that just in general, I think the short game craft.
Speaker 1: Is well, right, so just the best.
Speaker 2: It's so like, I don't know, it's it's it's like that there were great players then. I don't think there were as many as now in terms of like around the greens wizards.
Speaker 1: M you think there wizards now.
Speaker 2: I just think that the the the way some of these players, how routine. They make exceptionally hard shots. Look to me, is is insane?
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I I could just think of a lot of people from that era that that I would much rather trust with a with an up and down, whereas I my list of players from a hundred yards in uh, that I that I would trust currently. I mean it's it's literally you know Thomas Beith, Uh, it's Rory has really uh you know, gotten so good around the greens. Uh. Scott he's obviously when he's on is just a uh to me, more of an old school chipper. And uh, the way his technique and he's not so mechanical, whereas over the punting just right now looks so uptight and mechanical.
Speaker 1: But read yeah, yeah, I mean, oh yeah, Cameron Smith's incredible. But I don't know. I mean that that kite Peven Floyd, I mean.
Speaker 3: Those that shot that that clip this year of Floyd at Durrell, you know, the stance is open, and I mean he would take out a six seven iron, nine iron, you know, right on the call or he loved that control. So I I it's that's that's an interesting conversation.
Speaker 2: It's like I think the thing that's hurt pro golf in terms of like washability is like you're talking about Floyd hitting like a six iron bump, Like guys don't do that anymore. They just hit like the same club everywhere. It's like, oh, I'm going to just master this club. I think the visual of it has gotten worse. I think they just are better though.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and talk about our last partner, which is us. Father's Day is right around the corners. As we've discussed earlier, great gift for Dad. Great gift for golf loving Dad is the Fried Egg Golf Volume one coffee table book. We obviously sold out our first run of these. We have more in stock for a limited time. If you buy this book, you get to choose a free All you have to do is basically go on to our website, pick out the add the book to the cart, and then pick out your hat of choice to the cart and it'll be marked free at checkout. That's incredible technology that the world allows us to do this automatically. This will last while supplies last, So if you want to if you want to do this, the last day to order is June twelfth, so don't sleep on it and shop at proshop, dot Thefrida Egg dot com. Uh. Volume one is awesome, We're getting ready. We're working on volume two right now. We're hoping that these become you know, just collectible golf books. So check it out. You get a free hat, give them a great book. This is a great Father's Day gift. All right, pro shop dot the fried Egg dot com. All right, you're this is big news for the for the huge news for the golf architecture community. You're re releasing Grounds for Golf.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I'm not sure it's huge news, but thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's one less book that you have to spend an absurd amount body crappy used copy in the world.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: There are dozens of people that care about this.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, Grounds for Golf, which was done right after we did Rust of Canyons, so it was two thousand and three, ended up on the remainder shelves. Nobody cared about architecture then, and that's a little bit of the theme of some of the stuff I changed in the book.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy to think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's sold fine, but it didn't, it didn't get a second printing, and and so, yeah, I'm very excited to bring it back. Publisher wanted to do it. I went really and but agreed that you know, the interest in architectures there and uh so it was fun to well, I shouldn't say fun, as hard as you know, to go back and read things you you wrote. It's it's painful. Yeah, it's not fun actually at all. But I I enjoyed two parts of it. Which was one to just kind of go through the book and trim a few things or rewrite a few things that have changed not a lot. But then I tossed the last couple of chapters that were looking at the state of the game in the future of the game, and and look at now, what's why has why has there become so much more interesting golf course design? Since I did the book and we couldn't we couldn't give it away. Uh and and uh, it's fun to explore those things what's driving it? Obviously I have some mentions of the fried egg and drones and and and all the things that you know, used to mystify me as to why people weren't more people weren't interested they have opinions on courses, but they really didn't have any desire to try to back them up.
Speaker 1: It was usually whether it was hard or not. And uh and now you know, to think just in twenty years, we're.
Speaker 3: Kind of in an age of enlightenment and and and and and where it's architectures play should be in the game, which is this sort of blend of connoisseurship and uh and and really the reason a lot of people play to see different courses because no other court sport has what we have. I mean, tennis has some different surfaces, but and you can play in some interesting locations, but the court's always the same. And we know that architectures is great because there's so many different things and it's fun to debate and uh so, yeah, so it's uh, it's refreshed, it's got a beautiful cover came out. The printing is just incredible. Uh So I'm thrilled about that. And I'm thrilled that I was able to uh fix some things or or tweak some things and then bring some a little bit of new perspective without throwing out the whole book.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I've always put this. I wrote an article years ago about like, you know, here are the books you should get if you want to get into golf architecture. And I've always felt like this book, along with Tom's Anatomy for the Golf Course are the two like you know, hey, these are the books like if you want to if you if you have decided, I played somewhere and I felt different about it, and like I want to understand what makes this place so good or this place like and you want to get that base level of understanding, these are the go to books. And I think, like the it's exciting to have this one kind of back and update it thanks to your to your point about the golf architecture. I you know, I think about this all the time, and I think, like, so, there's this great there's this great uh Burger place in Chicago. You may remember it, Stu Hagastad was you know they did the burger dog tasting? Yes, yes, yes, last year and everybody's given the burger dog like a nine. Yeah, And he goes, I think he gave it a six if I remember correcting. He's like, I mean it's no off chival Yeah, which was the Chicago Burger It got it got voted like the greatest burger in America the world. At some point they've they've started this this concept called small chival and it's like literally they are these tiny burger stands where you can go in, you can get a burger. They're getting bigger now, so they're you know, they're changing, but the original ones, you go in, you get a burger, you can get a burger, beer, milkshake and that and then and it's just like outdoor seating or a small indoor seating. And always I used to frequent one when I lived in the city, and I always I used to think every time I was there, I thought about this as like, you know, in nineteen fifty in the nineteen fifties, McDonald's erased an entire like entire industry of this concept of like the walk up neighborhood burger stand in favor of this industrial like chain. This is better than that. And there was some at some point an awakening that society went through where like it was like what we eat actually matters, who makes the food actually matters, who makes your coffee matters. And when that changed, golf was just twenty years behind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which it always is it's always behind whatever bad trend is. Yeah, not not all bad, but.
Speaker 1: A lot of bad.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it's just like this burger stand is coming back, like the idea of like, hey, like I'm gonna go play this golf course that was built by Donald Ross in nineteen twenty four and it's public and it's it's fifty minutes away. I'm gonna go play there rather than like the housing development golf course built in the eighties by Dick Nugent. You know, this is my Chicago bias here. That's one hundred and twenty dollars. I'll drive the extra time to go get it. Go see this other place that might not be in as good of shape. But like right some point people woke up and it's like, wait, I enjoy Like the great thing about golf is like you can enjoy it anyway, Like if you're playing with people you like, like you can put me on any golf course, I'm fine. But like when you play somewhere that's also interesting and engaging, it only enhances the experience. This is what I've never understood about people, Like the Ryder Cup venue doesn't matter. It's like, well, do you think the course would make it worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can imagine how many times I've had that argument with our friends in Europe. Yeah, but but but it supports the tour. I don't care if it supports and the tour would go out of business. I know, I know, But can't we just once in our lifetime have a European Ryder Cup at the old course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be unbelievable.
Speaker 3: There's not enough room now there actually would actually if you map it out and think it through, if you take ten minutes you actually realize the quadrants of holes and the way it would work would be incredible.
Speaker 1: It'd be amazing.
Speaker 3: Uh, even dynamics like the last match finishing on the eighteenth in the morning and the first one starting on the first tea right there.
Speaker 1: I mean there.
Speaker 3: Sadly, I've gone through all that and you're just like, stop, okay, just stop, We're gonna go to your crappy courses to pay your bills. I got it. But it's it's it's uh yeah, it's it'd be interesting. I mean, I don't know what the one if there was one breakthrough golf course or venue that that helped, but I certainly know in the last few years people being able to uh, well, one obviously some restorations and and Beth Page was really important in that conversation. Even though you know it's not as brilliant as other things tilling has to it's more that it was done and it's been sustained, and it's it's bled out to the other golf courses and all that stuff. But it's yeah, simulators, people getting to play a famous place now and in realizing, oh, yeah, this is more interesting.
Speaker 1: Drones. Bandon was Mike.
Speaker 3: Kaiser's projects, obviously a huge player and all that, and it's uh, I think it really matters what what the actual thing was. It's more about making sure we sustain it. That's why things like the National Links Trust, which concept at at East Potomac, which was was done with out a golf tournament in mind, is so important. We don't want these things to have to be relying on a golf tournament a major coming because we know their compromise is made and in the name of doing that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it doesn't really matter what it is.
Speaker 3: It's more about how do how do we now keep that momentum going and have it spread to more places because we just have so many places that were magnificent and they're a little run down and if and obviously an operator will.
Speaker 1: Say, well, we're busy, what do we need.
Speaker 3: Why do we need to refresh the bunkers and do all your you know, architectural stuff. Well, it's the right thing to do, and it just does make the golf better when we know when a place is presented in a way and I'm not just saying the conditioning but the design that it's like they're trying and they care and they want.
Speaker 1: It to be interesting for you.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be over the top, but people know the difference between the place that's trying and presented in a way that cares about the game and wants to make your game more interesting without beating you up. So, uh, it's it's it's a it's a great time that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's I I'm I think like one of the things that's still lagging is obviously the public golf. It's why, you know, one of the you know, it sounds like you share my, uh my pessimism about the new East Potomac plan led by Tom Fazio and just to touch yeah, but like the idea the you know, and this is just one of the you know, financial realities of it. Is like the private clubs, you know, they still get paid dues when they renovate a golf course, a public golf course, they don't get their due, they don't get dues. You know, they rely and you're talking about a big shortfall. But like, you know, the reality and the you know, I think one of the frustrating things about America and and just in general with what's going on with the UK and you know this this is just purely supply and demand is you know, the rates the cost of the UK trips that there are still good, cheap UK trips that you can do. There aren't as many as there used to be because of rise and green fees, but that's because there's demand to go play these great golf courses. The reality of like, and everybody gets frustrated about different things. They get frustrated about the bandoned lottery, they get frustrated about it is like the reason that this is all occurring is that there is outsize demand at this point at the public level for good quality golf architecture and there's no supply. Additional supply on the Horizon.
Speaker 3: No, but we have, at least in the United States, we have so much that is brilliant that could could be.
Speaker 1: So much better.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I understand your point about not having dues and things like that, but you know, a lot of the time, and we know that in the Grand Scheme when of course is shut down for nine months to redo it ten months in certain you know, some places it takes longer because of weather, but it's just not that that long of a period in the Grand Scheme, and trying to convince, yeah, trying to convince people, that's just.
Speaker 1: It's a battle. I mean, clubs have dealt with that.
Speaker 3: Clubs go bonkers if they lose the course for nine months, even though it's going to be so much better and all that. So, yeah, there's still hurdles. And then of course the cost, the rising cost of irrigation is just brutal. And you know, it used to be the USGA green that was the thing that you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: This is just a huge expense.
Speaker 3: And of course I hate USG greens from an artistic standpoint because they're they just strip so they're they're harder to do and harder.
Speaker 1: To tie in properly.
Speaker 3: And it's why Corn Crenshaw are on another level because they don't build USGA greens or modified ones. But that cost now is really not a big deal compared to irrigation systems, and we probably have to have a serious conversation about how much needs to be irrigated and how many of these little little bells and whistles that are in these systems now, how vital those are, because I think that's the next real hurdle. Even though we've gotten past the we've gotten to the more enlightened part and people understanding a place, the difference between something that looks tired and one that looks rejuvenated and plays better and functions better. But yeah, the irrigation cost thing is it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think there's a lot of aspects of society right now with costs that is crazy. You know, you just go to the grocery store.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like golf is experiencing similar things like irrigation, like you know, they're you know, labor, like these are all aspects of public golf that are coming to a head. I didn't expect to ask this, but I just, you know, was I was thinking of you. You're obviously a key figure in the l A golf space. What what are your thoughts on this, uh, this very controversial uh proposed tax. M. I feel like it's been floating around LA for years and it's picked up more steam than usual. Proposed tax of four dollars per square foot I believe of golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I was a very outspoken critic of Malcolm Gladwell when he got all upset because he couldn't run through Brentwood country Club instead of around it, even though Brentwood Country Club provides a beautiful, decomposed granite. I mean, I know some runners don't want to get their shoes dusty. I understand it, but it's better than running on concrete all the way around the golf course. Anybody can run around it, nice trees and all that. I could get a hit by too many golf balls. And so I was I, you know, because he went essentially the genesis of this current situation was a city councilman listened to the podcast where he outlined that, and he had gone back and looked and said, well, LA doesn't have enough parks. Well, yeah, LA doesn't have enough parks because somebody killed off an Olmsted Brothers plan that was this brilliant concept for the city. And it's a huge city to have more parks, and just like we killed off our red line that was a subway. Now we're spending unbelievable amounts of money to have a subway. So there are layers to this that he brought in that that were unfair to the golf clubs or in the country clubs. And then of course totally ignored the green space component. And I get that golf has always had this perception of being a big toxic waste stump, and they still use chemicals. There's still things that aren't great, but my god, it's the change is incredible and the importance of having those green spaces is vital if you you know, like anything, birds or just just oxygen. And so there's that. But then of course there is the component where they you know, the nonprofit clubs in the city of La pay it combined eight hundred and eighty thousand dollars or so in taxes, and that's not enough given that they are, you know, they rely on a lot of resources as well. So it's a mess. It's a big mess, and he's proposed this out of nowhere, listening to Malcolm Gladwell, and my understanding is, I think June twentieth it has to be approved by the city Council and before the City Attorney or maybe even proved by the City Attorney, and then it would go to the ballot. It would require two thirds already in the fall, so it's a long way to go in terms of it actually happening, but it's been something that that I mean, it has the potential to be a massive national story because there are nonprofit clubs throughout the country that other cities might see this as an opportunity to add attacks.
Speaker 1: And you know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I this is a very big place and there are a lot of golfers, so we can't really have the Scottish model that would help the perception of these clubs. But part of their problem is that they are not seen as very community oriented. So that's going to add layers to this that I don't know what the answer is because again, you know, we just have too many people. There's nothing they could do to fill the demand if they had a few random tee times and tried to reach out and and there are certain clubs that have been really great try to be unity stewards, you know, Willshire and bell Air. They have a lot of charity events and the fun friends at golf raises a ton of money for high school and college golf programs here. They welcome all the teams at bel Air, Wilshire, Rick Riley great pro got the teams out there, and you can imagine there's other clubs that aren't quite as welcoming. I noted it in my newsletter, so it's not as secret. Riviera is a for profit, but they don't have women's golf teams out there. They don't have Palisades High. We had to hear a lot about Amy Alcott last week local Legend. We didn't hear the part where Amy Amy had to play on the boys team at Pally High. Pally High now has a girls team, which is amazing. Pally High's gone through a lot the rams, The Dodgers, Steve Kerr and alum there reached out to their their the teams and their sports. Dave Roberts and the Dodgers. They did community stuff that was cool. Riviera is not a not a community place, so golf has a perception problem here that you see it in the comments, and it's going to make this issue very layered. It is my most diplomatic way of putting it. And our La City courses are just horribly run. To your point though about food, they have amazing Rancho is not quite there because they found as best of us.
Speaker 1: But we have.
Speaker 3: Amazing food and beverage operations and it happened because somebody on the golf committee decided they needed better food and they've found all these hipster food.
Speaker 1: Things and it's great. But the golf itself is just I mean, the courses are.
Speaker 3: So tired and desperately needing upgrades and modern and they have great bones architecturally, and so that's another layer in this situation where the ones we do have are really not treated very well because it's just too big of a city. I mean, it just it should be divided. It's too big.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to Rancho in since like probably about twenty thirty teen. I would I I know, nothing's happened. Some range work, but that's awful.
Speaker 1: That is disaster.
Speaker 3: And by the way, and there's still lines for a half hour to get a stall, to not be able to even hit a driver anyway.
Speaker 2: But you know, I had I had a close friend that went to Scotland for the first time, you know, just last week, and he was texted me like, man, this place is incredible. And I said something about like isn't it amazing how we took their idea and just completely aft it up? Yep, And and like if you think about, like if la like this is your point, if Malcolm Gladwell never did this, this would never be on the.
Speaker 1: Ballot, right correct.
Speaker 2: And the thing about Scotland is they have this wonderful right to rome. So you're playing off. It's just like some hikers just suck her next to y'all and and they're like, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Bring your own doc to play golf, but somebody can walk their dog through the course.
Speaker 2: So it's like if you think about, like, okay, like how golf, you know, like Scotland's to be like the bottle of like you know, how golf and society should interplay, right, And like we've gotten to like private clubs being gated enclaves and I'm you know this is they just are If this thing passes or it gets close to passing, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Like and I don't want to be like a you know, like you know, propaganda is here of like what could happen. But like the whole premise of this closed off place that you know that nobody can see is going to lead to the masses like it's closed off. Only a few hundred people get to be here, right, the masses are always going to be like, well, pissed off about whatever's happening over the fence that they can't see. Yeah, and where this where you know Scotland has it so right, is it's just open anybody can go. Yeah, and you're gonna walk around and guess what. That's a great way to get people, welcome people into the sport. As I walk around the golf course and I've always just been thinking about it looks like I'd enjoy hitting the ball, and that's how people get into the golf the game well.
Speaker 3: And you know that when golf wasn't doing as well not that long ago, that was one of the things constantly mentioned that there. Uh, and there are a few places that do this. They'll shut down the course for a day and it's a it becomes a park or they have frisbee golf or some great stuff. Going on up in San Luis Obispo. There's a really creative guy up there doing things like that that has change the perception of the game. What's happened with the food and beverage at these courses here has has had an incredible impact on people's perception of golf or the course itself in the in the area, and that it's now important to have it instead of say penmar just being the place where planes crash.
Speaker 1: Uh, and they were our capments and now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have this amazing food and beverage thing, or they have concerts. I mean, it's it's just unbelievable how many people show up. And then when you talk to randomly to people, they.
Speaker 1: You know, may know nothing about golf, but they'll go, oh, well, yeah, I went to the Penmart for to watch the game seven. They spilled it out on the lawn. Lawn. I mean, it's it's not a it's not.
Speaker 3: An extravagant place, but they a very creative entrepreneur has done this, and you're just like, Okay, yeah, it'd be nice to have that. This to translate to the golf course. But to your point, it even the public courses have fences around them and there you know, people always say, oh, I didn't know I could go have lunch there. We had only one place like that in southern California, Brookside, which had a very has a very robust food and beverage operation, a lot of meetings and and it doesn't have that closed off thing and and it's part of the community. People walk around the course.
Speaker 1: All that stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's uh and there's nothing you can do in the short term to to flip that. And then obviously, you know, the fan experience at the US opened UH in twenty twenty three was was terrible, and people that that also was held a little bit against the UH the Riviera, the U s GA thing. I think the U s g A didn't really do a whole lot to make people believe that it would be a better experience at Riviera. So there's all sorts of layers on that front too, just the perception from these tournaments. And so yeah, it's it's a huge story to watch though, because I think a lot of other markets this this could happen. And it all is all because Malcolm. Malcolm wanted to run through the on that nice grass. Uh So. And by the way, I've seen him running here near me in Palisades Park, one of the great parks in the world, overlooks the ocean. But he still wants to get through Bretwood Country clubs. So that's what that's the kind of thing you're dealing with.
Speaker 2: Just like, yeah, that San Vicente stretch didn't cut it for him.
Speaker 3: No, well, Samva cid, we don't irrigate that anymore. So it's rather unattractive, even though the homes on the left side are all, you know, twenty million and up, and a bunch of them are actually overlooked Riviera. Yeah, that one's not so great. But Palisates Park's beautiful run.
Speaker 1: Running area could do the stairs.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so yeah, but but yeah, I don't think he was ever a Samva Cini guy. Too much exhaust you know, he's got to clear his mind. So yeah, so it's one to keep an eye on. It's definitely in the next few weeks to see if it even even progresses to the point of being a situation. But it's definitely a gonna be uh A big topic at the at the UH in the grill rooms of these clubs.
Speaker 2: Last thing before we let you out of here, we got Shittakoka two weeks. What are you most you know, what's a storyline you're most excited to see play out? And what are you most excited about going back to Chittacock.
Speaker 3: Well, we have the I mean it's inevitable that the entire focus is going to be on the setup since they've lost control of the last two And you know, I was out there on Saturday watching the whole placements and they were terrible. And I think the difference will be that we have different people. I had a great session with John Bodenhammer hearing what they're planning to do, and yeah, I think a very inside baseball kind of topic. But they're really going to try to have the setup started a place and then just gradually go, which is the way it used to be with golf tournaments and they would peak on Sunday, and I mean even yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Have these theme days.
Speaker 3: Even Carrie Haig, who used to kind of hate that kind of thing, now kind of has Saturday's the Birdie Day and we're doing you know, we had that just now Riviera and the tours doing that and then Sunday we're hard and I'm I'm tired of it. Frankly, I just think a good setup every day. I love the old model of six hard six medium six, you know, easy pins and letting the course and that daily maintenance just kind of quietly ramp up that to me, even though it's not natural because it's maintenance, it is natural in a way, and just trying to control things has gotten people in trouble. So but I think John Jennings will be way more involved than me. I can remember two different times standing back with him while Mike Davis and the team were doing their thing, and he had his front nine assistant and then his back nine and I just remember going, is this opinion you use a lot?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I ouh buy.
Speaker 3: So I think, as you know, your video with John is fantastic. I mean, he has seven assistants. He probably could run a corporation if he really had wanted to. He's a very bright guy. And but you as your video detailed, I mean that place the longest days of the year, the sun up, it just you it's very hard with the wind to manage the moisture. So I think they've got John's got some great ideas. They're gonna tough luck, guys. They're going to go out and do a little watering in those tea time gaps, and uh, it's better than losing control of the golf course, you know. They just worry too much about the player whining. So yeah, so it's all about the setup and what it'll be. And the rough of the fairways will be wider, which is great. They can really dry that part out if they want, if they can, And it's a as you know, it's a phenomenal golf course. It's it's just it's it's but it's extremely hard to set up up over.
Speaker 1: The course of that long day with the weather there whereas here, you know, we have it's a little more predictable.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited about that and hopefully they don't screw it up. I think the pins will be in good spots. They won't be on seams of new old green to new green and things like that, and they won't be trying to protect par so it should be it should be very exciting.
Speaker 2: Well if they if they inevitably, you know, allow for a scoreable Thursday, everybody will have the knives out.
Speaker 3: Well, we experienced that here in La you know, and and it's I feel for them because, uh, you know, it drizzled that morning and the marine layer and didn't burn off as quickly, So we had a couple of sixty two's and that was the end of the world. Well, by the way, neither one of those guys won the tournament, and the sun.
Speaker 1: Still rises the rest of the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I get that people sees on that those low numbers, but again over the court.
Speaker 1: I mean I was telling somebody the other day.
Speaker 3: About the fifteenth hole, you know, Saturday at LA and at US Open, they really wanted to recreate what happened in the Walker Cup. But again the Walker Cup has only a small number of matches and the pin was in the perfect spot. Well this time around, John Bodamer just wasn't comfortable putting it on that exact spot because over the length of the day, the sun, the foot traffic, you could lose control. And both Scott Langley and I went, I just don't think it's far enough down and you know it is my opinion. And sure enough, as the day went early on it was clear it wasn't in that great juicy spot. But by the end of the day Ricky Fowler had about a three foot or downhill to that cup and I went out right after he teed off on sixteen and I looked at it and went, oh, my gosh, this thing was like marble. If he if he had if he didn't catch the hole with it, he would have had a ten twelve foot coming back at least. So it just shows, you know, over the course of the day, with a full field modern preparation sun at the highest point it is all year. It's just really difficult to do, and especially when they do it so early in the morning, especially if a lot of guys make the cut on the weekend.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a it's a tough task. Of course.
Speaker 3: All this is a product to of modern green speeds, which you know, that's a I don't think that's going backward. That said, by the way, just on Riviera, they kept the greens. They were beautifully smooth. They started at thirteen, but they were they were twelve at the end of the day probably, and Paula grows this time of year, and they were they were smooth as can be. So some of that argument's a little bit dicey at times.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, it's there's a lot there with the setup and and greens.
Speaker 1: And well you you were there recently, right, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, you know. I I was. I got in very late the night before. I slept in my Garrett, Cameron, and UH and Parker from our team were all out on the golf course. They were they were talking about how much water they were putting down, like They're like it was insane how much water they were putting down. And I'm thinking, I'm gonna go there and it's gonna be like, you know, soggy. It's just I wouldn't have known they put it out of water down that trains well. I was thinking about this like it's basically like the one oh one guide of like why this places stands up as well it does to technology, and it's like it's got you know, the great soils, you know, British Isles like soils in terms of golf, it's the best draining soils. It's got you know, good turf is it's susceptible the wind, which is like anti TrackMan golf, you know where the one time you start to see these guys have to move around shots and hit real golf shots, and then it's got a little bit of that Pinehurst effect, where you know that there are a lot of marvelous design aspects of it. You could talk about the way it doesn't play in, you know, the similar direction very often, how it's got the triangulation, how it moves in all these different directions, amplifying the wind, you know, the fairways on different angles. But at the end of the day, the repelling nature of it, which has like you know, it's not as I wouldn't say it's as extreme as Pineer's number two, but just the idea of when you hit an average or mediocre shot, the ball is always running away from the target and like those things combined make it I you know, I think it's like, yeah, the setups have had issues, but also the the golf course. The golf course gets under player skins also, which amplifies the setup issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's there's several moments visually that are that are murky, no matter how many times you played there. You know, ten green, eleven green, and they don't love that either. Again, I didn't have to hear any of this complaining last week.
Speaker 1: It was so nice. But and I get it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the US Open. It's tough. There's tension. You got to find something to blame sometimes or you're just annoyed. But yeah, it asked for everything, and and I I really hope that I and I feel confident, barring something with crazy with the weather, that the plan will be much better this time. And they have learned from their mistakes, and I having worked with them on the on the setup at LA, they're also great at taking in a lot of of opinions and some people don't do that sometimes was set up and that's usually when they get in trouble, when they don't listen to the people who are there every every day, whether it's a superintendent or the assistant superintendent or the members. You can you can pick up things from everybody. So hopefully that's the case this time, because it would it would be dreadful if if if they lost control again. And of course, you know, there's a view that they didn't lose control in two thousand and four, that somebody came in the middle of the night, and well we'll just let that one be a permanent mystery in the history of the game whether that actually happened. But so yeah, I'm excited, and uh, you know, I don't know what's I think guys need to go there and and and learn it and play it.
Speaker 1: And I think it was smartest Scott he to do that.
Speaker 3: And Rory obviously he's played their bunch and a few guys did before the Ryder Cup. But I think Arono Minks showed Rory showed it Augusta even though he'd played there so much, that there is value in the practice rounds. I saw it at riv last week and and a lot of them men now they just really don't take those practice rounds as seriously, although I felt like ironom Ink they did a little bit more. So it'll be interesting to see what goes on early in the week that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was like something that didn't really get talked about much at ironom Ink. Was like, you know, it's like, wow, this golf course seems to be surprising guys. It's like, well, they don't really practice anymore.
Speaker 3: No, No, And the wind, you know, the wind directions were different and they were weird directions. And yeah, if you if you were if you knew anything about the course, and uh, it was an advantage And and I don't know what the answer is for that, because I understand why people want to come into the tournament rested and start that first round fresh. But you got to do your homework at some point, and you can't rely on on somebody going off Google Earth or something to tell you how to play the thing. You need to be out there, especially around the greens. So yeah, I actually enjoy this now, kind of watching who's out there grinding. My one regret it that ironom Ink was two different nights leaving the Press center. Yeah, they had the beautiful short game area there right next to the to the press Scent tentor tent, and uh, two different nights, I'm leaving and you know at dusk and there's there's Aaron Rye out there just hitting lob shots and grinding in the and I normally would just take a picture of that, like, well, that's very cool.
Speaker 1: He's really working it. And yeah, then he went on and won.
Speaker 3: He wasn't on the course, but he was really trying to get those shots around the greens figured out and it paid off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well look forward to seeing you and on Long Island and uh yeah, everybody by Grounds for Golf, go sign up for the Quadrilateral. Thanks as always for coming on.
Speaker 1: Jeff, my pleasure. Thank you, Andy.
Speaker 2: All Right, big thanks to PJ Clark. He's doing the hundred hole hike tomorrow'll it'll win this errors He'll be done with one hundred hole hike. I'm hoping for I'm praying for PJ. He's got a big day of editing this. The Knicks are up to Oh, he's gonna be up late watching the Knicks. He's gonna walk a hundred holes. Big thanks to Jeff for coming on, but big thanks to PJ for putting this all together. And uh, we'll be back. We got a five things about the US Open with one of our favorites him DS will be joining and that will be out on Sunday. As we head into the US Open week, I can't believe we're about to be three of four majors of the year done. So talk to you soon. Bye,