Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contains spoilers for this The Boys, the entire series, that series finale, season five, and The Boys writ large, also some vought rising just the entire Boys universe.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be a lost boilest bit of Boys.
Speaker 1: Hello. My name is Jason mccupcio. He on'm Rosey Night, and welcome back to ex Revision, the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, company from my Heart, where we're bringing you through episodes of.
Speaker 2: Weekless news, close news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are giving you our reactions to the finale of the Boys, and then we're going to discuss the final season overall and kind of how we feel about the conclusion to this show that's start in twenty nineteen and has been this kind of wild political commentary ride right until the end in some really unexpected ways.
Speaker 1: But first the Boys Bays, let's quickly recap what we've seen as we go to head towards the season finale. The series finale, starting with episode six, Though the Heavens Fall. This is the episode in which Sage and Homelander watch a guy and injected with blue serum. Sage's attempt at V one recreation, he bleeds out of his rectimens and dies. We meet Paul Riiser as the Legend. We meet the other old timer v one Soup's bomb Site, and Goldie the Deep has his pipeline disaster and films a propaganda video about how the sea life loves oil and then privately admits to a fish that they all kind of hated and this turns the ocean basically against him. Sage Sister Sage defects. The Soldier Boy has a long reverie about stormfront Uh and then Soldier Boy goes back to Vaught Tower presents Homelander with the V one after having stolen it from the boys. He depowers bomb site by burning the V one out of him with his nuclear beam, and then Homelander uses his heat vision to open a wound in his own arm. He injects himself with the V one and he is now immortal.
Speaker 2: Scary.
Speaker 1: Episode seven, penultimate episode, which was strangely strangely divisive episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very divisive.
Speaker 3: It was super Producer Joel was a big fan of this episode, felt like it really worked.
Speaker 2: I felt quite neutral about the whole season, like it didn't excite me. Greatly. It didn't like sev me, but it was a very divisive episode.
Speaker 3: We'd already had the fill episodes conversation, and with episode seven we kind of started to feel people feeling a fatigue with the show and where it was going. I think maybe because it was going exactly where we.
Speaker 2: All knew it was gonna go.
Speaker 3: And when you know that and it does deliver on what you're expecting, the question is like, it's all about execution, and sometimes it's not gonna work for people.
Speaker 1: So in episode seven, where you've got the big build up to Homelander is God, Oh Father, is you know, rehearsing for the big Homelander is God reveal. Homelander is, of course now immortal. He makes a list of things that he wants done. They include make the Democratic Church of America in the national religion, send troops into sanctuary cities, ban abortion, one on abortion, on all nut milk, no pure breast milk or milk cow milk only. That's it. No more nut milk. It's a it's a scourge on the country. Calhoun, President Calhoun, the sock puppet. President cal Kunling lightly pushes back on stuff and Homelander kills him.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say bad idea, like extremely bad idea.
Speaker 1: Ashley Barrett is not president. Homelander dissolves the Seven, declares he doesn't need them anymore because he is.
Speaker 3: God pride before a fool my guy like you are. He falls into this so quickly and so obviously. Again, I do think this is one of the issues, is like you would hope that someone who's so evil semoniacal. We know he's fucked up, we know he's like stuck in this kind of you know, frozen in childhood, but like, who isn't my guy, we don't know become like crazy fascists.
Speaker 2: We're all dealing with actual.
Speaker 3: Mode, Like come on, So yeah, it's uh he I feel like he falls for it too fast, but he's just like, fuck it, I don't need anyone.
Speaker 2: I'm tough, I'm a god, I'm immortal. It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Badly, very pathetically pleased to stay on in it.
Speaker 2: Hard to watch consistently.
Speaker 3: Yes, in this show, we shouted him out, like when we were talking about the boys before, But like Chase Crawford is just what a role like unafraid to just be the absolute fucking worst at all. Times and always be showing the worst possible side of this character is simpering, like begging to be involved, begging to be allowed to be part of like the world's worst fascist government. It's so pathetic it is hard to watch. You're right, which is a credit to him.
Speaker 1: We see Soldier Boy in cryo and this and a scene that feels like a handoff to the Vote Rising prequel. The boys irradiate Comiko. He hears Kamiko screaming, finds Frenchy and Butcher exposing her to massive of enriched uranium in the safe house. They are trying, of course, to replicate the original Russian experiments that gave Soldier Boys his power stripping nuclear check collassed U. It's very painful. Huey's horrified, Butcher and Frenchy insists this is the only thing that they can do, and Camiko's like, yeah, I want this keep going.
Speaker 2: I want sick nuclear powers.
Speaker 1: Now here come the youngsters. Marie Moreau Jordan show up. Annie initially tries to dismiss Marie, saying her powers are too unstable to be useful, which is.
Speaker 2: Yes, is where the conversation started.
Speaker 1: But it does not make sense, doesn't Marie then throws Annie's online back at her, saying, since when did hopeful and I You've become the same thing. The four of them stake out Vought Studios, where O father has been spending a lot of time. They discover oh father is running a focus group screening of the Easter Homelander unveiling for ordinary folks, with she Line and dog Knot and two of the teenage kicks embedding the audience to basically murder anybody who doesn't believe that crazy that this is true. She Line and dog Knot are disgusting, sniffing each other, licking each other. MM and Annie are are horrified listening and watching them through the events, and when they start murdering the crowd, MM and Annie get involved hell she Line and dog Knot and Annie evacuates the focus group to safety. We get the emotional core of the episode, which is MM telling Annie where his nickname comes from. As a kid, he found a baby bird. He nursed it back to health, and the kid and neighborhood kids were mocking him, but it stuck.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you something, guys, five million times fucking bat than where he got them in the comics, do not google it, do not fucking read it.
Speaker 2: Fuck that.
Speaker 1: You can guess, you can get guess you can guess based on the coming. Butcher and Hughey infiltrate Vought's studios separately, they're captured by Synaps, who is a shape shifter. Synaps pulls the Joe Kessler hallucination right out of Butcher's head use it against him. We basically find out that Butcher was the only member of his SA S unit to survive or remission because he'd do the most horrible things he needed to do in order to complete the objective. Butcher is broken psychologically, and Synaps extracts the location of the boys safe house where Sage and Kimiko are. Huey buys time by distracting Synaps, and Butcher kills him. Homelander goes to the base and you know, Camiko and Sage are in there. French. He volunteers to be bait. He loures Homelander towards the uranium chamber, talking big shit in French talking. They've already replicated Soldier boys depowering ability, and you know we're going to use it on you very soon, he French. He locks himself inside the radiation chamber gives Homelander to the finger, you know, implying that the chamber will kill a Homelander even though it won't. Homelander is v one immortal. He does not take the bait regardless, instead reaches through the glass through Frenchy's chests and rips out his organs. Yeah, Kamiko finds him blading. Yeah, Kamiko finds him bleeding out, and they have a heartwarming moment together as he you know, says Chitim mccor all of his his most notable phrases. And also this to your point about comics authenticity, this was this was very much like the comic version of his death, although you know better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, As with everything in this show, it was just so funny.
Speaker 1: And then finally we end with sister Sage, just like in a depression spiral, she realizes she can't predict the impact of like love. She can only impact like predict like hate and stuff and her own heartbreak over Thomas Goodalkin it has basically like totally broken her and so she's useless. So she keeps lobotomizing herself and binge watching Love Island, another trash TV good fab Now we come to the finale Homelander. We get you know, basically a we open with a body count montage, basically setting us up for hopefully a very satisfying end of Homelander, letting us know all the terrible things that he's done. We go to Frenchie's funeral. It's all the boys, you know, Butcher, Hueye, CANi, Go, m m Annie and Sage standing around. Hue reads Frenchy's will, which is crude and funny as you would expect.
Speaker 3: Lots of talk about He's seen the fucking asses and the assholes and their dick and get it lovely.
Speaker 1: Kimiko can't speak. She has also apparently lost the ability to fire the depowering blast because of butcher diagnosis. It has because of like the emotional trauma of losing Frenchy. Ryan is hiding somewhere in Russia and the wilds of Russia, still watching watching TV, which I guess goes out around the world in English. Yeah, of course famous Homelanders shows up. Now if you want immortal, basically trying to like make up with Ryan is like you should come come back with a tower you have, like you have a whole floor. You have my blood. It's very important that like the son of God, you know, like you could just you know, you can just kill people in the street like me. It's gonna be great. Ryan is out of it, but you're in. Sage return to Frenchy's grave, where Kimmiko is still there. Stage launches into it very mean monologue in which she refers to Kimiko as friend, she's pet and this is French She never got to be happy because of her, and that his death is because of her. Chimico's rage builds, and she does fire the powering blast as out of like emotional destroyers.
Speaker 2: When I get into.
Speaker 1: Firing the blast, Sage takes a full hit and when she gets up, she's dumb. Now she's just a regular person.
Speaker 2: She can't dream.
Speaker 1: She's wanted this forever.
Speaker 2: Due She really upset about this, that like she's evil. Why did she get what she wants?
Speaker 3: I'm like just labby dumb, Like it's much less they in dressed to everyone. This is like abolition, babe, just labby dumb. Like she's fine. She's no good to editing evil now.
Speaker 1: Butcher confesses that Sage agreed to this provocation of Chimico as a way to figure out if she's if Kimmico still had the power, and it works, so we go. We now realize can strip a soup of their powers permanently with her chest blast.
Speaker 2: You may coo do x macinnacd X Macanna.
Speaker 1: The boys then decide that they're going to ambush Homeland Or during his Easter Sunday Oval Office televised speech, and they use the underground. They're going to use the underground tunnel the JFK supposed leads to sneak. Marilyn Monroe in Sage announces that she's not coming because she doesn't she can't do anything anyway, and all she wants to do is go to Harry Potter World in Universal Universal Studios. It's very funny.
Speaker 3: Do you think they added that to be like she's still evil? They were like that's the only place she wants to go. They were just like, she's just normy. She's like, she's just annoy me.
Speaker 1: I think that's what they're saying. The boys, Marie, Marie, Jordan, Emma evacuate the rescued focus group people to Canada. They're now, yeah, yeah, go away, go to the border.
Speaker 3: Hey, what do you mean this is one of the best ships we've ever had in the hole of the fucking Boys universe, and not even that, two of the most interesting powers we've ever seen. Like, even if Marie's obviously I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I gotta know the behind the scenes choices here Crippkey is saying it's because in season three there's season three that got canceled of GENV it would have been Marie's like Dagabar Yoda learning her training season. But I feel like we actually got that with her in Godolkin.
Speaker 2: That was kind of the point. She was being trained by the most.
Speaker 3: Evil, fucking powerful guy who created Soups, So it was like she was being trained to be the Homelander, you know, a bomb. I think it's crazy that for some reason that got delayed at it think I would have just loved to see her. Imagine if she'd just like they'd let her try like halfway through the episode and you'd be like, why is this happening and she just like blew off his arm or something, and they were like, for fuck's sake, you're not powerful enough, like go train anything better than just like go Like she can let really control people.
Speaker 1: Cancel the show and that's it. Yeah, that's why. That's honestly, I does feel like that, right, that's why the show. And they probably had her on a studio option for appearances in other Boys properties contingent on gen V continuing and it didn't, so they they could have had her in it more.
Speaker 2: But bro, I got it.
Speaker 1: He actually they'd probably have to sign her to a new deal.
Speaker 2: And so this is what I needs happened. I need. The only way that I will support.
Speaker 3: Vat Rising is if it's secretly a show about Marie Ramireau going back in time and killing all those Nazis. Eric Kripkey, you got to surprise us, because no one want to watch that Nazi romance show.
Speaker 1: So the Boys infiltrate the White House through the fuck Tunnel. Homelander, however, has anticipated this and locked the door behind them, and the mission is very nearly doomed. But then President Ashley Barrett, acting on her conscience after spending the entire episode not able to tap into her Voldemort head because of an argument they had in episode seven, goes down and lets them through, and the other actually is basically like you did it.
Speaker 2: Bitch, Congratulations, good job, good job.
Speaker 1: And he kills the deep. They have a fight. They have a fight over by like a shoreline, and she gives him one last chance to renounce Homelander. Of course he can't. He blames her for ruining his life. She into the ocean and the sea life. Finally get the revenge octopus tentacle through the through the ass, up through the mouth, and he is dead.
Speaker 2: Good. It was like he was. He was always abusing that octopus. This is what he does.
Speaker 1: He was terrible to all sea creatures that he knew it was wrong. Hue and m M get into it, get into a fight with o father in the studio in the TV studio. Oh father is about to blast hue but then and EMM puts the instructible ballgag that Ashley had given him into his mouth and as he's using his like scream and it blows his head apart and sprays Hueye with gore. And Huey is like, why am I doing.
Speaker 3: This very multiverse of madness? Ye black belt coded what mouth?
Speaker 1: That's so good? Homelander is in his the middle of his divinity speech. He's basically gone off teleprompter and he's being like the most you know, vengeful, openly evil version of a god telling people like I'm going to live forever and the world is destroyed and his ashes, I will be the god of the ashes, like fuck you all. Butcher blows a hole in the Oval office and they start fighting. It's a pretty even fight until Ryan arrives and the two of them are grappling with Homelander as Kimiko comes in and it seems like she's not gonna be able to blast them with her deeppowering blast, but she has a vision of Frenchy who's like, you can do it, and she does it. And now Butcher, Ryan and Homelander are deep power free. Ryan honestly so good for him. Ryan was, i think, is happy with this that to happen. Homelander then begs For's life. It is pathetic, it is it's.
Speaker 2: And it's like tel.
Speaker 3: Is saying he will do anything like it's so bad, Like it's really it's exactly what cowards would do, but it's also what men who look up to cowards don't want cowards to do.
Speaker 2: So it's like it at this moment Homeland that loses everything.
Speaker 3: I think that aspect of ritual humiliation was something I didn't think they were going to bring to it, and I did think that was quite cathartic.
Speaker 2: I do think this was still a long overdue death.
Speaker 3: I don't necessarily know if it delivered, but I did think that that I did. I like how both one again and now this kind of us this idea of like public humiliation from men who have tried to use the media to kind of reshape the world in that image is really interesting.
Speaker 1: And then we get like an extended kind of cruise. Towards the end, we see we see Stan Edgar announcing he's returning to Vaught, and we see the kind of fallout. Ashley is president for like an hour is eventually like and it just gets impeached, like impeached immediately by the by the United Congress and Senate. After saying like I had nothing to do. He's like, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm the president now, and that like absolutely fucking doult bitch, You'll get impeached Extreme vat vibes.
Speaker 1: Butcher meanwhile has a vial of the soup killing virus and slips away. While everybody's feeling like this whole thing is over, he goes to Vaught, but hue notices and meets him there, and then they have this conversation about, you know, whether or not to drop the virus and kill all the soup, kill every last soup. Butcher's like waiting in Vought for like all the soups to come in to work, and instead Huey shoots him and apologize for doing it, and so the all the soups who are currently alive get to continue being sous.
Speaker 3: Which obviously he has to do because his girlfriend is a soup.
Speaker 2: Like obviously I have I'm eiger to.
Speaker 1: Talk about this and have Joelle call me a genocider of all soups, but like, I'm I'm e going to talk, I'm eager to talk about this. Then we get the epilogue. Robert Singer, president elect framed in season four, is president again. Hughey and Annie are together. They go back to work at like the radio shack type store, and Annie is pregnant with Hughey's child.
Speaker 2: We hope, Yeah, who is called Robin? Please tell me? Was that the name of like? Is that the name of his girlfriend who got killed in the first episode? I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I heard no, God, Oh that's so weird. Okay, no, but actually that's nice. That's nice.
Speaker 2: I take it back kind but it kind of is. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's nice. I think that's nice.
Speaker 3: This breach has just gone on like a superhero killing like Nightmare Journey because of that woman's death. And then he's like, I'm gonna name a baby after so I can always remember all the people I killed.
Speaker 1: I like the mentality. I think it's nice. Mm reunites with his family, Ryan joins.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Mm finally gets to get like engaged or like Mary isiance. Like.
Speaker 2: I love that he got a happy ending.
Speaker 3: That was like probably the only person I was invested in getting a happy ending.
Speaker 2: I didn't really care about anyone else by the end. So I think that was a nice moment.
Speaker 3: Unexpected kind of goes against what you expect from a comic adaptation like this, So I did like that moment.
Speaker 1: Kimiko goes to Marshall Franchi's hometown where you know, the two had talked about going there together, and she gets the dog that they had been talking about getting. She has her voice back and she seems happy, and you know, Stan Edgar is the CEO of lot so let's take a break, insane. No, let's take a break and be back to talk about this episode in the season boys in general. Yeah, and we're back. Okay, what do we think, Rosie, what do we think?
Speaker 3: I think it was a this is my I was I was walking this one and through my little walk and I was like, this is kind of this is I'm gonna say that it was a it was a phenomena.
Speaker 2: It was a men like, like, Okay, I thought it was fine. I think like I think it was it did what he needed to do.
Speaker 3: I think unfortunately, this season has felt to me a little bit like it's serviceable, and at times it's been really great. But I think like this felt like a serviceable finale. But like, I'm not gonna lie. When they did the Butcher thing with him still having the virus, I was like, oh my god, they're gonna kill all the soups, And I thought that was an really crazy interesting route to go because also set up Hueiye, he lost his love at the beginning, he loses his love at the end, but now there's no soups.
Speaker 2: Who does he hate next?
Speaker 3: You know? I think like, also I didn't really care about like him killing Butcher. That's like whatever to me, you know, I just there was some moments, for example, I really wanted Ryan to be the one who killed Homelander. You know. There was just some some choices they made that weren't the choices I was kind of hoping for, which I think is really normal for any finale. Also obviously huge gen Z head GENV head. Love my gen Z friends too, though, but the gen V stuff definitely impacted it for me. I thought they set up Marie so interestingly to be a player in this. I think they could have at least had her be part of the fight with Jordan, even if she isn't the one who does it. I mean, it's hard not and this is not a reflection on the creative team, because we know that's not how shows are made all the time like this, especially in this political climate, but like it's hard not to feel a certain way when they set up this young black woman who, by the way, we all kind of were always theorizing that if they hadn't been the tragic loss of chance who played Andre, it probably seemed like this was actually a storyline they were doing for him for the third arc.
Speaker 2: But after he passed away.
Speaker 3: It seems like they switched it to Marie to set up this young black woman who has this deeply complex, almost villainous arc at the beginning and has this horrific power, the most interesting powers that I think takes that boy's grotesquerie to a place that a lot of male viewers didn't like, which is this idea of her being able to control her blood but discovering it via her first period. There's very grotesque to a lot of men, Like she just has such complexity, such interesting like breadth and depth, and also has a really scary, gross power where she can basically manipulate people as if they are blood bags. Right, So it fits into that violent framework of the boys. It's hard not to see them basically nerving her and then going to rising as some kind of optics decision or like just disappointing in a show that has for the most part been incredibly subversive.
Speaker 2: It really has.
Speaker 1: I kind of give them grace on it, just because like the show didn't do well enough to keep going.
Speaker 2: And at that point, if I ever believe that stuff, because it's like.
Speaker 1: I mean, I believe it, I think if they have it, I just think if you have a hit, you keep going, and if the cost benefit analysis makes sense, then you keep going. Not only that, but like you're talking about like a young actors who are cheap. Now that's true that five of the Boys season two of gen V like you get them at a discount, and if and if it made sense to do, they would have kept doing it.
Speaker 2: I think that is real.
Speaker 3: But I do think that's I do think that's true to a point, like numbers wise, but also there are shows that we know do not have good numbers that they have to keep making that cost tons of money, like Rings of Power.
Speaker 2: And I love Ring Different.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is, I think that when you are a corporation and you do have deals like that where you have to make these billion dollar shows, some shows that maybe aren't like wouldn't have gotten canceled otherwise end up becoming cancelations. I think, like Amazon has so much money that movies and TV can be a lost leader for them, Like that is something they've always I don't.
Speaker 1: Disagree that it is on some but it clearly just didn't hit. It just clearly didn't hit.
Speaker 2: I just didn't. I don't think they gave it the time. But yeah, I mean, I do think it's like anything.
Speaker 3: It's also because it's been canceled, it's going to be a really interesting time capsule into that space of like trying to do a spin off, trying to do a youth focused thing, trying to do something that imagines something new instead of leaning on nostalg I mean, but they're going for the nostalgia idea with what rising instead is a really interesting like conversation because it's all about supernatural, right, and.
Speaker 1: Well to continue. I think that so GENV didn't do well enough and they had to cancel it, and I think at that point you're kind of like locked in. I almost would prefer that they just didn't have any of the gen.
Speaker 2: V people we do.
Speaker 1: That's the way I think that that's the way they should have gone.
Speaker 3: If they'd have just gotten an email that was like we're sending them to the Canadian border would have been better.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think attempt to tie off that storyline of a show you canceled made it it just we didn't need that, they didn't need to show they didn't need them at all, which just happened to me. Let them.
Speaker 3: We'll imagine they're just fucking in a different universe, getting into crazy trouble, going to house parties. We don't need to see them, but that's why it feels more like a nerfing to me.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I also, what do you think about speaking of that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Of like the issues of other shows and expanding that Boys universe. How do you feel like the finale dealt with the vote rising stuff? Because I actually did feel like they did a good job pulling it back from feeling as much like a setup though obviously, you know, I just thought that has been one of the big critiques, and I did feel here that they were actually doing a bit more to just wrap shit up and and like try and do as much set up, because it did start to feel like some of the setup stuff was overwhelming the actual like plotline of this season.
Speaker 1: For me, I didn't I didn't love it. I don't love the vot rising. I don't love vot rising as an idea in general. But I understand why they're going to do it, because these are the characters that have been established through the Boys and who pop and then the opportunity to have Soldier Boy back in an on running series is I think too much for them and.
Speaker 3: Also down My understanding is they will have you know, obviously we got that big episode with you know, the guy who plays Castile and the guy who plays the other Supernatural brother, Jared, so they are going to be in the show too. So I think this idea of Cripkey being able to do this three right reunion for Supernatural, it's like a really big deal.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting to me.
Speaker 3: Supernatural has a very heavy gay fandom, and I think a lot of like the nostalgia and love for the show is about Dean and castiell or as they were called, destil an.
Speaker 2: Insane time in fandom. But I'm very interested to see how.
Speaker 3: Cripkey is going to subvert our expectations because I just do not think this is a man.
Speaker 2: I interviewed Kripkey. You can read it on the Hollywood Reporter before the show came out.
Speaker 3: I reached out to my editor and I was like, Hey, I want to interview him and ask, how the fuck do you adapt the Boys? Because this comic is actually horrific and it sucks, and if you read it, so much of the worst stuff is played for laughs. It's like, this very horrendous and I specifically want to talk to him about the starlight stuff in season episode one and in issue one where she gets you know, gang raped and it's played for laughs and that's how she gets into the boys, right. I was so astounded by how open and chill Kripkey was. And they actually put together an entire room of women who were working on the show from different spaces and different departments and shit to talk about how to adapt it.
Speaker 2: And that was how they kind of came.
Speaker 3: To this space where it was more of a of a conversation around me too, and like this idea about coercion and.
Speaker 2: Obviously less explicit and not shown in the same way.
Speaker 3: I don't think that guy is at this time gonna just like make a show about Nazis and be like, here's how Nazis. You know, even though it feels bad that that is the show that's getting made, I know he's gonna do something to subvert it. I just need to know what it is, because right now I don't feel like that is the legacy that this show needs to have. But I'm hoping that there is gonna be a different layer to it, and really it's about like the resistance.
Speaker 2: But I will say, I don't know if I've told this story on the podcast before, but I think about it a lot.
Speaker 3: When The Boys' season three, I believe came out when with Stormfront might have been season two, but the Stormfront season basically it was incredible, right, And obviously, if you know about neo Nazi online culture, you know whose Stormfront is gonna be. You know why she's named that. But the show did this incredible job. I think it was the second or third episode where they did a whole like promotion of Stormfront as if she was this like powerful boss, girl boss blah blah blah, right, And I wrote an article for it, a nerdice called Girls Get Things Done like this kind of white supremacist feminism takedown and why it was so good, And like two weeks later, Amazon decided to start promoting the show via like girl bossy type merchandise and a girl Boss themed episode where you.
Speaker 2: Could interview all the girls and they.
Speaker 3: Were gonna, I still have like a Girl's get It done like fucking mug. They completely misunderstood why it was good and decided to promote it the same way the show was promoting the heroes. It was really confusing branding and also to me was something like representative of something you talk about, Jason, which is like, when you are satirizing the thing and you become the thing you are satirizing, whether that's scream, whether that's this, it becomes very hard to stay on top of the culture. And obviously we are in an accelerationist this is time now where stuff's happening faster than ever, so even harder to keep up with.
Speaker 1: This is my concern with with Vought Rising is you know, and people will say, oh, but like, yes, they're white supremacists characters in the show, but like you know, this person and that person or Jewish or this person and that person aren't you know, very against that kind of thing, and they're involved in the production. I get it, but like.
Speaker 2: Why is that show?
Speaker 1: I still I still feel like that doesn't mean that that doesn't mean that it's going to be good and that you're not platforming white supremacist white supremacist TV.
Speaker 2: Ideologies as well. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: I also want to say it reminds me kind of like I don't know, if I wrote this article about The Punisher. We obviously didn't like it very much, but that was a point that we'd spoken about. But one of the parts that really spoke to people in the article. It is on my newsletter, Tinfoil Hat ghost Io. You guys can subscribe now. It's free for everyone to read the articles, but you can pay if you want to support me. But like one of the pieces that really stuck out to people, that made people understand why this show was dangerous, I put the hate Bread song and I was like, look, guys, Jamie Jasta has thrown Nazis out of his shows in the last few years.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of him.
Speaker 3: But listen to this fucking song and imagine Frank Castle shooting a ton of people in the head, including people of color, and tell me that it was not made for the worst fucking places of the Internet. And I just don't think that it's responsible. I'm not telling you don't make it. I'm not telling you sense to yourself. I'm saying, be a fucking responsible adult. And I do think you're right. I think that it's the same with that Girl's get this shit done Stormfront. Stuff like it can be read the wrong way, even by the companies. Wellstand.
Speaker 1: I think the part of the issue is that like adults will get this subtext or adults that like are are sensible, are sensible and well read enough about, you know, issues in the shape the world, you will not like Younger viewers won't realize. I just think it's I just think it's it's think about responsible, but it but it it towes that line where you essentially are platforming white supremacist, Nazi adjacent Nazi created characters, and while you are satirizing them. True, the level of satiricalness is going to be lost on a portion of the audience who are going to think these people are cool. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I find it.
Speaker 1: I find it weird. And my other thing is that I I think Butcher should I think Butcher should have been allowed to kill them all.
Speaker 2: I actually agree in this.
Speaker 1: I just think that Hughie is being is clearly doing what he did because of his attachment to Starlighter.
Speaker 2: Yes, now I wish because.
Speaker 1: That's why, and I do wish they would have that's a cool choice too, but I wish they would have paid. I wish that they would have played that more for the complexity of it and less as oh Annie and Hue are together. Because Butcher's right, they've given all they've done is by time a new Homelander will come, the soups will at some point be like, Okay, let's do it smarter this time, Like why are we There's no way to control them. You know, they had taken over the entire country in the world and and did multiple war crimes, and now you're just kind of like, Okay, that I guess because Homelander is dead, Like that threat has passed, there's still like multiple very powerful mind reading, mind control, super strength, a nuclear chest bomb soups like alive, who are direct threats to things that have been going going on. Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be back to talk about this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also think just narrowed, like because I do think like you make a good argument within the universe, right, I do think I will say, you know, we know Joel would be here screaming genocide. She's not also ethically wrong. I want to talk on a narrative standpoint. This is a fucked up, weird show, right, that's always meant to be doing stuff that shocks us. Hue is plea for humanity here does not sell. I would have loved the more complex, like I love her. I love Starlight, don't you love her? Like that kind of thing I think would have sold it more. But also, like, think about an episode, think about how much this finale would have banged right and how much everyone would have forgotten all their problems if Butcher had basically been like to Hui, like this is why we met, Like this was your purpose, this is our purpose. And they do some fucking fight club ass ship where they just fucking pour it into the water and Chewy breaks down and he knows it's terrible and he knows his fucking wife's gonna die, but he also knows that was always his mission. Like and that is a bleak, complicated ending, Like I don't want q to have a happy ending. What about the whole arc where he was a toxic masculinity piece of shit?
Speaker 2: Wait? Would Qui maybe die because he was?
Speaker 3: He was He had V for a while, he was addicted, but I don't know. Maybe that's why I don't know, Maybe he got it burned out of him. I don't remember, but it was I felt like the happy ending of it all felt very contrived for.
Speaker 1: The boy, considering everything that we had seen. It's crazy to let V powered people continue to be a threat to this world unless and this is where I'm like, you know, I guess I would have liked to see in that epilogue. And I really enjoyed the season. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I thought, I think it was kind of a return to form for the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it picked up on all the stuff from like season two and mid season three that was like really the stuff you cared about. But I I I thought the epilogue needed something where the new government and the president is like, Okay, soups, here's your choice. You can either like wear some sort of bracelet or something that allows the government to license you basically and control like what you're doing. You can't just like go off and like form your own like kick Creator set and like terrorized neighborhoods like Willy Nilly anymore. Like you're gonna have to like actually do stuff with the law. So like, yeah, I think so, like what so your choice is either we can have you under control one. Two you can be depowered. Will you can choose to like be like I don't want this anymore of this life, I'll be completely depowered, or three we drive like if if even one soup said just tries to avoid the choice of one or two, we drop the virus and we kill you all. I think that that had to be give them the choice.
Speaker 3: If Marie had actually killed Homeland of publicly by bursting his blood, it would have also been very easy to imply like it heyd impose some kind of fear shit as well, like yeah, there's his his superhero Jesus, who's not gonna kill you, who's young, who's you know woke? All that stuff they played into, but also just fucking blew up a god on TV with blood, so hey, everyone, best you know behave.
Speaker 2: I also like your idea of like the depowering rate.
Speaker 3: Obviously that would become something that would be monetized, but even if it couldn't be, they would have Camiko chained up depowering soups already.
Speaker 2: That's like the age of X stuff.
Speaker 3: I think that Mike carry did where Scott Cyclops is just like he has the advisor and they pull it up so they make him execute mutants every time, like when he's having a tough like he's being like tortured by our cane. I love that idea of kind of like it's almost like they forgot the world they were in for a moment.
Speaker 2: I guess it's kind of how it feels at the end.
Speaker 1: To me. The issue is it's the same issue with the with the gen V stuff. I think it's they need to serve the fact that one they want to keep it open ended, right, you can't kill the soups, because what if we do want to come back to The Boys as like a follow on sequel series and maybe we bring you know, who knows, maybe we bring Marie back into it and build another Boys series with you know whoever's left standing of Soldier Boy and the rest. They want to they definitely want to keep that open. They don't want to have a world in which they don't do soup shows anymore or only prequels. And two, you know, all the all the serving the prequel Vault Rising stuff. I think that was again that was the weakest parts of the final season for me, was both the kind of Hamhnded like execution of tying off the gen V stuff, which again didn't need to be there, and the overly like Vaught Rising tie in stuff that you just were like, oh, this is a tie in of Vault Rising because we actually don't need this that much. Yeah, And I think that is to me, those are the weaknesses. Is it's like ip ip itis.
Speaker 3: That's definitely what it is, right, IPI tis. That's such a good way of saying.
Speaker 2: It also hilarious to say fon foss No. I totally agree.
Speaker 3: I think this as we've said, how many of these problems I love Genba. I'm glad the two seasons we go exist, but how many problems that we're talking about with this series and the seasons come from that expansion when it was its peak and they were like, now we're gonna do this, spinoff, Now we're gonna do this.
Speaker 2: We had the Boys anime at spinoff.
Speaker 3: We haven't even talked about that, right, like right these they were pushing and pushing to expand, and now they're trying to contract. And I think, sadly we are losing a project that I think was way more interesting than the core show at its heart, like and we know that, we know that. I love GENV but like, I just think it's a shame to see what gets kept when things contract and expand. But like I said, if what rising's a secret Marie Moreau time traveling killing Nazi show, then maybe Eric Crypti, I'll forgive you.
Speaker 1: Overall your thoughts on The Boys, the entire series.
Speaker 3: Oh, basically, I would say the biggest takeaway, And I know I sound like a broken record with this guy's I do think it is an astonishing feat of adaptation. Whatever the inconsistencies are, this is proof that you can take a project that is essentially unadaptable because it is so offensive and purposefully like Ennis was doing that on purpose. I mean, this book was originally published by DC and they had to drop it because it was so offensive and they had to you know, publish it elsewhere. So like to take something like that that I assume is probably toxic and nuclear if somebody ever actually looks at the comic before you do the pitch, and to turn it into something so thoughtful and subversive, it's pretty incredible. I will say, Jason, something that you spoke about with vaut Rising that I think this show failed that sadly, and it's not really its own fault. It's more about failure of critical media literacy. But I mean people are still online talking about how their surprised Homelander is the villain, like you know, right wing people or whatever, like they're stupid. But then again, it's like, if you know that's a majority of your audience, why do you make vort rising because you know they're gonna think the same shit, like, oh, well, we're watching the show. They are the protagonists, you know. So I think those are some of its failings. But I do think that it was also a victim in the last couple of seasons of what we've talked about a lot in the show, which is the world ipis and also the world catching up with the show. Yeah, crypt did not know that the real president of the real United States of America in the real world was gonna make a golden statue of himself the same week that Homelander revealed the golden statue of himself.
Speaker 1: Like, it's very distressing.
Speaker 2: It's very distressing.
Speaker 3: It also makes the show less enjoyable to watch as a dystopian fantasy because it's actually a reality. And I also think that you lose some of the sharpness of the satire. And as Krypkey said from the beginning, he had actually come out before the season came out and said, I don't know how it's gonna land because some of the stuff on the show is not as bad as what's happening in real life, and I do think he was a.
Speaker 2: Victim of that.
Speaker 3: But generally, I will always celebrate the show as proof that you can adapt something and you can elevate it, and you can also do it in a way that still appeals to the original audience, which is fucking crazy. I think that is my biggest takeaway and the show's biggest SaaS.
Speaker 1: I echo that, I think that the show. I think seasons one and two are incredible.
Speaker 2: Like I think two is like.
Speaker 1: Nine to ten, like nine out of ten to ten out of ten stuff, And I agree with you. Season two with Stormfront was when it was at its The show was at its most sharp, and the characters were at its their most vibrant, and you didn't feel like Homelander.
Speaker 2: Was being shown.
Speaker 1: It was really good, and it still felt like there was some juice in the Homelander as antagonist where they weren't just keeping him alive. I think, to a large degree, I think the show, whatever flaws it has, it's because it became a victim of its own success. It didn't agree it. It should have been more ruthless. It should have been, and I understand that it is adapting. You know, the comic book was the same thing. It was like, you know, the story as it became kind of successful for the size of story it was, you know, it got padded out, and I thought that there was a there's a more ruthless story to be told. That's actually that's better. And the fact that like so few of our core boys characters died until like the very end is to me like a reflection of that, like we should have lost more people sooner, and they let Homelander live for too long.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I agraize that that.
Speaker 1: The first two first two seasons are incredible, and I thought Joelle didn't didn't love the Oval Office Fight. I love the Oval Office Fight. And I thought for for like real superhero fights with powers that that are depicted in a cool way on TV, it doesn't it really does not get better than this, Like fights are amazing.
Speaker 3: I do think as well, like you said, the prom with it being like the victim of its own success is also definitely an issue.
Speaker 2: Again, like we've been.
Speaker 3: Talking about with other projects, whether it's you know, Mandlarin and Grogu, I think we may have another similar conversation coming up with some upcoming releases too, about TV and movie quality.
Speaker 2: This did start.
Speaker 3: Out performing the MCU when it came to inventive Action.
Speaker 2: Inventive Superhero absolutely did.
Speaker 3: So, then how do you satirize something that you are now punching down on? Essentially, obviously they're not really punching down, but it is Amazon punching down at Disney, It's it's corporations punching down at each other. It's and I think that that becomes part of the problem too, is like, then the MCU went through, as these things do, guys, We've been telling you this for years, ebbs and flows, right, this is like the Zeros, the mid Zeros, the late Zeros like it. It has Marvel sort of ebbed and flowed into this space where they weren't as on point in phase five going into the new era that hopefully is going.
Speaker 2: To be X Men.
Speaker 3: Then the Boys is like, what are you even satirizing because they're not doing like the Seven, They're not doing Justice League parodies anymore because those are kind.
Speaker 2: Of already outdated.
Speaker 3: So then they also lose the target and it becomes much more political, much more real life, and much more about less about the trappings of superhero entertainment, which I think is also why it loses a little bit of that like yeah, freshness.
Speaker 2: But it's also again that's that's not their that's not their fault.
Speaker 3: That's a situational issue because that is about how the blockbuster landscape changed. About COVID. I mean, also, this is a show that survived COVID.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: It's true. I will miss The Boys, I I you know, for as much as I shit on it when it was bad. When it was good, it was it was great and like nothing else, you know, I think now there is you know, we'll see what happens with Rising, which I feel like will be necessarily a different tone of show somehow. You know, we're talking about set in a different world, a different era of the world. So we'll see how that goes. But I think we're missing that, like satirizing superheroes.
Speaker 3: I agree, And what does that? What does that look like in Rising? Like are we satirizing?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Look, I'll tell you this, this is my pitch that I'm suddenly seeing that could be interesting if you wanted to continue a satirical look at The Boys, you could look at how in the forties the thirties and forties, the rise of superhero comic books was really directly tied to anti Nazi propaganda and trying to create these like patriotic figures like Captain America punching Hitler and stuff like that. There is gonna be an interesting way that they could explore like superheroes and iconography as white supremacist propaganda or as American propaganda. I would be very interested to see that, but obviously very complicated because the American side of that comics history is very Jewish and was actively anti fascist, so it feels strange to do that through the lens of vot riising. But I'm interested to see where they go because that I just I just don't get it. I just still don't get it, and I just think it's I just think it's gonna have to be like a Watchman level like surprise for it to do something that doesn't feel like it shouldn't.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be hard to do, and it's gonna be hard to do for the reasons that sequels are structurally more difficult, because, like you know how it ends to a certain degree, like I understand that Soldier Boy will not die at any point during vault Riising. I understand that Stormfront will not die at any point.
Speaker 2: Right because we know because we know where it's going.
Speaker 1: I understand that bomb Site will not die at any port point during vault Riising. So it's like, how do you how do you solve for that? I don't know that there's a good way to solve for that other than to find some other essential story. And Watchman is a great comp But what Watchmen did is basically make the most important parts of the emotional core of the story start in the prequel and end in the modern part of the story. Right, How interesting is that? And I don't think they can and they can't do that with with volt Riising. So we'll see. I'm I'm I will watch, of course, but I am concerned about I have my concerns about vaut Riising. One on it, you know, from the very basic level of it not being that good and being you know, just a harder degree of difficulty to make good. And two the risk of it not being as good as sharp, as thoughtful. You know, it's crazy to be like yeah, show in which like a guy rocks, you know, it was a thoughtful show about the terrible things that it was depicting, and to try to be as thoughtful as it could be. So I do worry about I worry about Vought from that, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess I didn't know that they're going for the class Me and Jay said are big proponents of this.
Speaker 2: They did Redell season one, they did it in True Blood season one. It's a classic genre trope.
Speaker 3: I guess it's gonna be a murder mystery about the origins of Vought in the fifties, So maybe it's gonna be revealed about, like I know, human testing, but all that shit we know, Like I just I just don't see a way to make it valuable though, I say. I guess I forgot that they're doing a spin off The Boys Mexico, and that's like a real thing that is actually still happening.
Speaker 2: So I suppose they're trying to both sides us like Disney. That's how I feel right now. I feel like I'm getting both sides at all times.
Speaker 1: I will say, like, if either DC or Marvel wanted to enter like the partying Superheroes space, I think that there's like this is not your favorite creator, but superior foes of Spider Man, for instance, as a way like, oh yeah, if you take like smaller scale villains, I think you're right, or like Avengers right and make right. I think that's a great way to satirize superheroes. You know, obviously it would not have the kind of cutting edge and the gross out factor of the Boys, but I still think that it's a that kind of satirical take. The critical take on the superhero dynamic is necessary.
Speaker 3: Actually because look, and again I was going to say, I'm about to bring up another book by a guy I don't love, but like the authority, right, That's why the authority great sight, But about the notion of James guns DC, because they were like, wait, this man's going to adapt shit that's never been done before. I mean, he's going to adapt stuff that could be violent, that could be crazy. I mean, we are getting that rated Clayface movie. I think if that hits, maybe we will be in this space where these companies can start satirizing themselves. And that's actually the best stuff they do. Look at how great Wonder Man was. It's because it was and knowing satire, a studio type satire of the Hollywood industry. Of the MCU, of the way that Superhero contracts are, of the way that crew is treated on set, like it was so interesting and specific.
Speaker 2: I think that there is a space.
Speaker 3: Now obviously there's gonna be a certain suspension of disbelief, but everything we enjoy is own by five people, now, guys, so get with it, Like there's gonna be a suspension of disbelief. All Disney satirizing Disney, but hey, and was one of the greatest anti fascist shows of all time, and it was made by Disney, like we take what.
Speaker 2: We can get, you know.
Speaker 3: And I think that there is a space where whoever gets to that first Jason and does some kind of.
Speaker 2: Like niche creating its own.
Speaker 3: World, but with a little bit more of that bite, a little bit more of that kind of satirical edge, a little bit more of that edge lordiness, honestly, like it's not there's good versions of being an edgeload and bad versions of it, and sometimes it hits. And The Boys is an edgelord fucking show, and they managed to do it in a way that wasn't horrific. And I think that Disney, and you know, Disney just made punishing one last kill they're not afraid to put some violent ass shit on there. So now give me the R rated Daughters of the Dragon where they go around and fuck up like creepy rapists in their neighborhood or whatever. Like if we can do it for Frank Castle and his you know PTSD treatment of just shooting one hundred people, then I think we can do it for other people.
Speaker 2: So I actually love that, Paul Jason.
Speaker 3: I think this is a little place where they could get an unexpected boost while the Boys is off.
Speaker 2: Between these shows.
Speaker 1: Our next episodes of X ray Vision, we're diving into the Marendalorian and grogu plus news. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Menique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Harmen Laurent, Dean Jonathan and Faye Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Ruben, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discord moderator,