Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Ferry terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jurelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome in to another special edition of the What's Right with Nick Wright's podcast and YouTube show, the fourth part of our continuing series the fifty Greatest Players of the last fifty years in the NBA. We get to players thirty nine through thirty five today. If you haven't listened or watched the previous episodes, I highly recommend you do so. The first episode we lay out the rules, the parameters, who was too old to make the cut, and the honorable mention to the guys who just missed. And then the next few episodes we get through players fifty through forty. As I said, today are players thirty nine through thirty five, and it's a perfect little quintet of players because player thirty nine is not a controversial inclusion, but incredibly difficult to rank, and player thirty five also I don't believe to be a controversial inclusion, but maybe the single most difficult player to rank. But they are difficult to rank for very different reasons. So we will start with number with player number thirty nine. One of the older players on the entire list, Player thirty nine is none other than Bill.
Speaker 4: Walton, Number thirty nine, Bill Walton, Bill Walton.
Speaker 3: Is a two time NBA champion. He won the nineteen seventy eight NBA MVP and finished.
Speaker 5: Second the previous year.
Speaker 3: However, he is only one time first Team All NBA only one time second.
Speaker 5: Team All NBA. He did win a rebounding.
Speaker 3: Title of Blocks title and later in his career a sixth Man of the Year and as you can see, two time All Defense. So he started his career as the way he finished his college career as one of the greatest players ever. Unfortunately for him, a foot in he derailed everything. But at the beginning of his career he walked into the league and was instantly dominant, as you can see not only from the MVP in the second place the previous year, but what he did in those NBA Finals in nineteen seventy seven, the year before he won league MVP. He won Finals MVP twenty eight and twenty in his first finals game ever twenty twenty three, seven and eight to win the title game six, closeout game. He averaged nineteen nineteen five and four for this series, and at that point it looked like, Okay, Bill Walton is going to be one of the ten twelve greatest players in basketball history. Unfortunately for him, it never came close to that again. For that entire championship run, he was eighteen, fifteen, six and three and then the injuries ruined him.
Speaker 5: Now, to his credit, he was a valuable role.
Speaker 3: Player for what some people believe the greatest team ever, the eighty six Celtics. He averaged eighteen minutes per game for them in their playoff run. So he was a part of that, but he was not even close to a leading part of that. And so Walton is incredibly tough because we know how hot the fire burned in the beginning. We know it wasn't an outlier because of what he did in college. And by the way, like college doesn't matter for these lists, but it adds context for Bill Walton and Demons's going to join me in a moment for some of Bill Walton question. But I you know, I know you don't know much about Walton. I'm certain you don't know much about his college career. It should be noted Bill Walton started his college career going seventy three and um a seventy three game winning streak for UCLA to start his college career. He played three years because back then you couldn't play as a freshman. He was Player of the Year all three years, the first two years when he won the national championship. Well, the first two years he won the national championship, he was Final four MVP both years, and the one year he didn't win the national championship, he lost in double overtime to NC State by two points, so he really could have gone three for three. In college, he's the second greatest college player ever, and for his second national championship, he went twenty one of twenty two in the National Championship, twenty one of twenty two from the field for forty four points. So he was that player in college. Then in the pros he almost immediately was an MVP caliber player. Won a title with the Blazers, the finals MVP. The numbers were insane again twenty twenty three seven assists, eight blocks to win his first championship, and then put injuries ruined it. So he's hard to rank. I have to use full context. I have him at number thirty nine.
Speaker 5: What's your bill, Walton blest Hey, let me eat this straight, okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, at thirty nine, you've got a cinner with one Yeah.
Speaker 5: Known for his passing and creativity. Yeah, sounds a lot like Jokic to me. You know, how can you like Walton so much? But I hate Joki so much?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't hate Jokic. I just thought he shouldn't have won MVP last year. And by the way, by the time you guys hear this, Jokic might have two MVPs. And if he does end up winning this year's MVP, then he probably deserves a spot somewhere in the lower forties on this list. But the reason that I can justify it is because Jokic doesn't have anything close to the finals, MVP and the championship.
Speaker 5: Forget Walton's second championship. If Jokic had had.
Speaker 3: Carried a team to the NBA Finals, had it carried a team to a championship, it's a totally different ball game.
Speaker 5: Instead, Jokic has had.
Speaker 3: One career playoff run where he went past round two and he got annihilated by Anthony Davis. And so because of that, I don't yes, Jokic is the best passing center since Walt and Jokicic is building a resume that if I were to do this in twenty five years and I did the twenty five best player or the seventy five best players of the last seventy five years. Then Jokicic is building a resume to be on that. But as of this moment we're recording this, he has one MVP, no super deep playoff runs, and hasn't done enough. Walton, to my eye, had done more. And Walton was a better player. I mean Walton, the injuries kill him, which is why he's as low as he is. But Walton deserves me number thirty nine. If you didn't know much about number thirty nine, you definitely don't know anything about number thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Number thirty eight. Bob McAdoo.
Speaker 3: All right, some respect for the old timers in Bob McAdoo. So here's what Bob McAdoo was able to do. He also, by the way, like Walton, was only one time first team All NBA and one time second team All NBA. However, he came into the league and by year three, I'm sorry, by year two he had a three year stretch where either won the MVP year came in second. He went MVP in seventy five, second place in seventy four, second place in seventy six, and Rookie of the Year in seventy three. He was a three time scoring champ, averaging thirty two per game years two through four, and as you can see, from nineteen seventy four to nineteen seventy nine average twenty nine and thirteen. The problem for McAdoo is the lack of championships as the best guy, but it doesn't kill him that much because of what he was able.
Speaker 5: To do in the postseason.
Speaker 3: His first playoff series ever, which is in year two, he has two forty point games he averaged. The year he won MVP nineteen seventy five, which was his third year, he averaged thirty seven and fourteen in a playoff series against Elvin Hayes and the bullet It's an excellent Bullets team that a few years later would go on and win a championship. He averaged thirty seven and fourteen against him. He in that series, he had thirty four points in every single game and put up a fifty to twenty one Again.
Speaker 5: This is year three to the ear he won the MVP.
Speaker 3: During that three year peak, while his team never won a championship never made the finals, he averaged in the playoffs thirty two and fourteen in forty six minutes per game in his first and then he changes teams, goes to the Knicks, first playoff game ever with the Knicks forty one points, and then he eventually goes to the Lakers eighty two Lakers. Nobody thinks about Bob mcadee, but he was important, so he ends up winning two titles with the Lakers. One could argue the reason they didn't win the eighty four title was because McAdoo got hurt. He gets hurt in Game six of the eighty four finals, or else maybe they win that series. But in eighty six he was just a role player, but in eighty two he was an important player for that team. Magic wins finals MVP, but to get into the finals to clinch his first career Finals birth as a not a role player, but not the leading guy on the team with Magic and Kream, He's twenty six to eight in the Western Conference Finals in the final game to clinch the finals.
Speaker 5: Birth.
Speaker 3: In those finals he averaged sixteen to five, So an important piece on a championship team. And if we want to add a little bonus after the winning the title in eighty six as a role player, he went to Europe and won two EuroLeague titles. A true professional scorer who again walked into the league and by year two was a top two MVP candidate for three straight years and a scoring champion for three straight years. Player number thirty eight is Bob McAdoo. I believe you have a question about Bob McAdoo.
Speaker 6: Let's hear it, Nick, you know, as the wise elder statesman at first things first, your tutor. Oftentimes I'm glad to see you give us some love to my man, Bob McAdoo. McAdoo can do. That's what we used to say back in the day, kind of a precursor to Kevin Durant, to be honest, obviously not as good as Durant, but very much of six ' nine at that time. Stepping out, hitting the jump shot could take you off the bounce as well. But I gotta be honest, I don't think i'd have him ahead of Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis, especially Dwight who obviously led a team to the finals twenty six and thirteen against Lebron, beating Lebron when they had I believe the best record of the league. But outside of that, I love you giving love to McAdoo can do.
Speaker 3: All right, Brew, Listen, those are fair points, and Brew obviously knows his NBA history, and I love that he's being a part of this with us. And I don't have McAdoo a far ahead of Dwight n ad It's like four or five spots ahead of them. My argument would be Dwight nade have both come close to winning league in DP Bob McAdoo won it and finished second two other times, and as dominant as their peaks were, I think mcadow's was a touch more dominant, certainly on the offensive end, not obviously not on the defensive end. But it's not a bad argument that he's making. But I think McAdoo was a had a touch more impressive career than Dwight Howard Dida. Assuming Dwight's crew is basically over and then Anthony Davis has up to this point.
Speaker 5: If Anthony Davis.
Speaker 3: Doesn't eventually pass Bob McAdoo, something went terribly wrong.
Speaker 5: But there's player number thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Bob mcadee, come right back with player thirty seven, who's someone all of you remember for a finals loss, But do you remember how important he was in a Finals victory.
Speaker 5: We'll do that next.
Speaker 3: All right, Welcome back into What's Right with Nick Wright Podcast Special fifty Best Players of the Last fifty Years edition.
Speaker 5: This is our fourth episode in this edition.
Speaker 3: We are already to player number thirty, so let's waste no more time an all time player who I think it gets a couple moments of his career have been forgotten to history by many people that even consider themselves NBA fans.
Speaker 4: Number thirty seven, Clyde Drexley.
Speaker 3: So he's one time first team All NBA, two times second Team All NBA, two time.
Speaker 5: Third Team All NBA.
Speaker 3: He almost won MVP in nineteen ninety two, but Michael Jordan did that year. He also he also almost won the title, but Michael Jordan did more on that in the moment. He is one other top five MVP finished where I say people forget things about five People remember him losing to Jordan in the finals, and.
Speaker 5: They remember, ah, yeah, he was on one of those rockets champions. Okay.
Speaker 3: What I don't know if they remember is before he lost to Jordan the finals, he led the Portland Trailblazers to the nineteen ninety NBA Finals, where they lost to Detroit, you know, the bad boy Pistons who could have won three titles in a row.
Speaker 5: It lost Isaiah Thomas. No shame in that.
Speaker 3: So nineteen ninety Clyde to the best player on a finalist. Nineteen ninety two, Clyde is the best player on a finalist. And let's talk about how he did in those finals. In the finals, lost to Detroit, a Detroit team that up to that point in time had truly bedeviled Michael Jordan. Clyde averaged for those finals twenty six, eight and six. So, yeah, Detroit one in five, But it was not because Clyde didn't do his thing twenty six, eight and six against the bad Boy Pistons in the finals in nineteen ninety Then two years later against Chicago and Michael Jordan, the defending champion Chicago Bulls.
Speaker 5: What does Clyde do in those finals.
Speaker 3: Twenty five, eight and five in those finals to Chicago and that postseason he was twenty six, seven and seven.
Speaker 5: Now, du'll see throughout this series.
Speaker 3: Sometimes for postseason accomplishments, I talk about individual monster games. Clyde didn't have a ton of monster games in the postseason. He only had a handful of forty point games. He was just incredibly consistent. He had so few stinkers, if you will, that despite not having a bunch of the thirty eight, forty two to forty four point explosions, he still had a career playoff averages of twenty seven and six, which were all slightly better than his career regular season averages. So he's a guy who was actually better in the postseason than he was in the regular season. And as you saw earlier, in the regular season, he came you know, he was an MVP candidate, a legitimate MVP candidate for a few years. But I'm still leaving out one finals appearance. And before I talk about that finals appearance, let me bring in our friend Rick Huker, who wants to ask about Clyde Drex.
Speaker 7: Phenomenal athlete. Clyde on the level of Jordan, but Game five fndamentally was not as refined. I just wonder, Nick, if you would look at him the same way if he hadn't gone to Houston and won a championship with a Keeam, because that was a matter of being in the right place at the right time and had more to do with the Keeams ascension than Clyde's okay.
Speaker 3: So this is where with respect to Rick, he's just wrong. And it was so in those finals that if we're talking about the finals that he won against Shack and the young Orlando Magic, what could have been Orlando Magic in those finals Clyde averaged twenty two to ten and seven. He was the clear cut second best player for the Rockets. But that under sells how important was. It's not just that they were the sixth seed, in large part because they didn't get Clyde until later in the year and they went all the way to winning the title. But if you remember that Rockets team was they faced elimination a number of times throughout the postseason and then came through. So how did they come through? I mentioned before Clyde didn't have a bunch of monster playoff moments. Maybe his best playoff game ever. One could argue forty one, nine and six facing elimination in round one against Utah to keep the season alive. So Game five must win, facing elimination in Utah thirty one to ten in forty seven minutes in.
Speaker 5: A four point victory.
Speaker 3: The very next round, Houston falls down three to one to Phoenix and Berkley, What does Clyde do there? Game seven of that series twenty seven, twenty nine and eight in forty one minutes in a one point victory. So the idea that Clyde was his right place, right time, it's not true. And then in the finals, I told you he was twenty two, ten and seven, so he was incredibly important. So yeah, he wasn't as I mean Rick said he wasn't. Michael Jordan Again, I know Michael Jordan. I know this is gonna shock you. Michael Jordan's gonna show up in the top three on this thing. Now, where's he gonna be in the top three? Who knows he's gonna show up in the top three? I got Clyde? Where do I have Clyde at thirty seven? So yeah, there's a gap there. But the idea that Clyde was this right place, right time. If he's not on that Rockets team, they don't win the title. He absolutely deserves credit for it. And one other thing to my friend Rick Hucker, because Rick is contributing questions and Demons's contributing questions of course, also Chris Brussard's contributing questions in a clip we didn't end up using that was about a different player. Brew went on a little tangent about that player's ranking in comparison to Clyde the Glide Drexler. I echo everything you're about to hear from Chris Brussard. So in other word, Rick, it's two to one Nick and Brussard against you. So we're right, you're wrong. Here's Brew on Clyde before we move of.
Speaker 6: Clyde led the Blazers without a perennial All Star teammate to three straight troops of the Western Conference Finals and two appearances in the NBA Finals, lost to the great Isaiah Thomas. And of course Michael Jordan then goes in teams with Elijah Wan fits in plays well, is an All Star, twenty points.
Speaker 4: A game and a ring.
Speaker 6: Clyde don't get enough love, my man, including on your list.
Speaker 3: Now the player number thirty six who never sniffed the title, which is why he's not higher than.
Speaker 4: This number thirty six, George Gervin.
Speaker 3: So Gervin five times first Team All NBA, which is remarkable, two time second team All NBA, and he played in the ABA in the beginning of his career. Two time All ABA second team. You're seeing it right there. Four times he's top five MVPs and those happened all in a row. Four years in a row he's top five in MVP voting and two times he came in second.
Speaker 5: Four times scoring champ.
Speaker 3: And this is a fun one that the maybe I don't know if we'll ever see this again quite like this.
Speaker 5: George Gervin and David.
Speaker 3: Thompson, going into the final day of the season, were essentially virtually tied to the scoring title. David Thompson scored seventy two to try to win the scoring title.
Speaker 5: Gervin needed I think in the high fifties to win it. Did you see this game? Did I see this game? No, this is before I was born. This is well before I was won.
Speaker 3: So George Gervin sees Thompson scored seventy two, He goes out and scores sixty three points in only thirty three minutes, didn't even play in the fourth quarter. That was how he won his first scoring title for his career. George Iceman Gervin twenty five points per game. That is tenth all time. And you know our list is not all time, it's last fifty years of the last fifty years. It's fifth all time, behind only Jordan Lebron, Durant and Iverson.
Speaker 5: So why wouldn't he be higher. He's now higher because he never won in the playoffs. But when you.
Speaker 3: Dig into it, he's smeared with the ah, the guy never won. How much are we blaming it? So let's go into it. For his career, he averaged twenty seven points per game in the playoffs. In the playoffs, which is top ten all time in the ABA. Let's go to the ABA, facing elimination, drops a forty two and seventeen and then a thirties in nineteen seventy five to avoid elimination, but then they lose the next game and they're out. The next year, they're facing elimination again, drops a thirty seven and fourteen to avoid elimination, but then they lose the next game and they're out. He lost his first six career playoff series, but then finally gets a playoff series victory and then nineteen seventy nine y'ur in the Eastern Conference Semis against Doctor J. He puts up a thirty three, twelve and five to eliminate Doctor J put up the very next round forty two and six to get up three to one on the Bullets. Because this is a weird time when the Bullet when the San Antonio Spurs were in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 5: They had play Philly and then the Bullets. They then moved to the Western That doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: He puts up forty two and six to go three to one on the Bullets in the Eastern Conference Finals. He puts up another forty two and six in Game seven, but they lose by two and he never makes the finals. For that series, he averaged thirty one and six. They lose to the Bullets again. A Bullets team that we mentioned earlier would go to back to back NBA Finals and win one championship.
Speaker 5: Eighty two gets back to the conference finals.
Speaker 3: This time he's in the Western Conference Finals against those eighty two Lakers we were just talking about a few minutes ago that at Magic in Kareem and Bob McAdoo. He averages in those Western Govermends finals thirty two, eight and six, and he swept, swept, And then the very next year he loses to the Lakers in the Western Reverends Finals again and that's it. So got to the Western Conference finals a few times, never got passed there.
Speaker 5: But how much are we putting on him?
Speaker 3: Yes, he blew a three to one league with a chance to get to the finals, probably his best chance ever. But he put up forty two and six in game seven and lost by two, and so I think he's slightly underrated historically. Let's see what our caller has or our questioner has on George Iceman Gervin.
Speaker 7: Who George Iceman Gervin at thirty fourth? Are we given extra credit for all time great posters because the one with him sitting on the ice blocks is one of the best of all time? But my goodness, he was a scorer and that's all.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 7: Phenomenal scorer. Finger roll beautiful, but just a scorer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But the scoring is important, That's the thing. I agree. He was mostly just a scorer. But scoring when you score.
Speaker 3: At that level, when you are one of the of the last fifty years, one could ARDU ten greatest scorers. Ever, it at least gets you firmly in the top forty of players. So I mean, he was Rick's not wrong there that he was a pure scorer, but scoring is the most important part of the game. He did it better than just about anybody ever, aside from a dozen or so guys, so he absolutely deserves his spot at number thirty six. Now number thirty five is a player that some people would swear must be in the top twenty, and some people will swear has to be outside of the top one hundred, and will do him as our final player on this installment of the fifty Greatest Players of the Last fifty years.
Speaker 5: He's next.
Speaker 3: All right, Welcome back in final segment of today's edition of the fifty Greatest Players of the last fifty years in the NBA on the What's Right with Nick Wright podcast, Now we are here, Player number thirty.
Speaker 4: Five, Number thirty five, Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 3: Russ was maybe the single hardest player to reign of this entire enterprise because so Russ's regular season accomplishments are up there with the twelve to fifteen greatest players up. Two time first Team All NBA, five time second Team All NBA, two time third Team All NBA, so he's nine time All NBA. He won an MVP three other times he came in top five. He has two scoring titles and three assists titles. One of the only players in League history, Tiny Archibald, Oscar Robertson, Lebron James, and Russell Watsbrook are the only guys to ever do it once. Russ has done it two scoring doules, three assists, titles average a triple averaging a triple level hadn't been done.
Speaker 5: In fifty years.
Speaker 3: Russ did it three straight seasons, then took a year off, did it a fourth straight season.
Speaker 5: He is going to be known for the triple doubles, so let's dig in there for a moment.
Speaker 3: He has won one hundred and ninety four career regular season triple double as of this recording.
Speaker 5: That's not only the most all time. Only Lebron, Jason Kidd, Magic, and Oscar Robertson even have one hundred career playoff career regular season triple doubles. Russ is likely going to finish his career well north of two hundred career triple doubles in the playoffs. He's third all time in triple doubles. Okay, so that's the good of Russ. We'll get to the bad in a moment.
Speaker 3: But you guys know how much playoff stuff matters for me on this It's unfair and disingenuous to act like russ never had good playoff mantles.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 3: So let's just we're gonna go in chronological order, and we're gonna need some time here.
Speaker 5: In the twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Finals, the only game the thunder one in that series, he was twenty seven, eight and eleven as a kid in the finals. In that In game four of those finals, which they lost, he was the best player on seam by a mark with no dispector Duran. He was forty three seven and five on twenty of thirty two from the field in game four of those finals, forty three seven and five to try to stay alive instead of falling down three to one, but they end up losing.
Speaker 5: For that.
Speaker 3: For his first finals ever, he's twenty seven. His only finals twenty seven, six and seven. So we can't act like that that didn't happen. Now, let's move on to twenty fourteen. Twenty fourteen, he's twenty seven, ten and sixteen on just sixteen shots. In game seven of the first round against Memphis, helped them propel them what would have.
Speaker 5: Been a disastrous loss for them. In that same year, Western armog Semis.
Speaker 3: The next round, you guys, remember everyone remembers the CP three Meltdown game. Say the Clippers have the big lead CP three, try to draw the foul. He doesn't get it, but gets forgotten. Is Russ in that game? Went tottoe with Chris Paul and ate him up.
Speaker 5: He would was.
Speaker 3: Thirty eight, five and six and got fouled. At the very end of the games the Clipper from Melting Down hit all three free throws to.
Speaker 5: Win the game.
Speaker 3: That very next round Western Conference Finals, the Thunder down two to one to the Spurs.
Speaker 5: The Spurs were going to win the title.
Speaker 3: Russ was forty five, ten and five up to this point. Yes, he was a little inefficient, a little careless with the ball, but nobody was killing Russ.
Speaker 5: So that's twenty fourteen. Let's go to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: That's the year the seventy three win Warriors were down three to one to Russ's and Katie's thunder. Let's talk about what he did there in Round one against Dallas thirty six, twelve and nine to send Dallas home. Average for games five and six of the Western Garmend Semifinals against the Spurs to send them home average thirty two, seven and twelve in those two games.
Speaker 5: So again, it's all going good.
Speaker 3: To go up three to one on the Warriors in the Western ARMOURGS Finals average twenty seven, seven and twelve, including thirty six, eleven and eleven in Game four to go up three to one.
Speaker 5: The problem is since then, she's gone real sideways.
Speaker 3: Since then, since the Klay Thompson game, since that moment and then Katie leaves, it's been bad, and it's been bad.
Speaker 5: In the playoffs for five six years.
Speaker 3: So Round one versus Houston, the first year without Durant, he did have a fifty one, ten and thirteen sixty and fifty one tripled over in the playoffs average for the series thirty seven to twelve and eleven.
Speaker 5: But despite that, they lost in five. Why did they lose him five?
Speaker 3: Because even though Russ was averaging all those points and assists and rebounds, he shot thirty nine percent from the field and twenty seven percent from three, and he was shooting ten threes a game. The next year in the first round against I think it was Utah with Paul George, he had a forty five to fifteen and seven to stay alive and a forty six, ten and five in game six, And if you go back and look at it, that forty six, ten and five where they lost, he wasn't good and that was with Paul George, and then the next year Dames sends him home and then Paul George leasing. So his career averages for the playoffs are twenty five, seven and eight, which are exceptional, and his career playoff percentages are forty percent from the field and thirty percent from three, which are awful.
Speaker 5: So what do you do with Russell Westbrook?
Speaker 3: I still feel like because it's been so bad as of late, and this last year with the Lakers, with such a disaster, people forget how dominant he was at his peak.
Speaker 5: Flawed but dominant. The MVP's got a matter.
Speaker 3: The triple doubles might have been slightly overrated, but they have to matter to a degree. He was the single hardest player to rank in this entire enterprise. He's player a number thirty five from Russell Westbrook. And now we have a surprise questionaire. No one has told me who this is. Let's see what the Russell Westbrook question is.
Speaker 8: Hey, Nick, your old buddy el we're out of akl from White Plains here Russell Westbrook at thirty five. We love the effort, We love mister triple double. But Russ at thirty five. Come on, neck, You've got James Worthy. Big Game James ten spots down the list. At forty five, you have George Gervin, never been to an NBA final. Ahead of Big Game James. You have Gary Payton, who won a NBA title. Is a parting gift. I had a big game, James. You have Sidney Mokrieve, who I loved one of the triple tremarkets.
Speaker 4: I had a big game James. But Russ at thirty five. Big Game James at forty five.
Speaker 8: One Finals appearance for Russ. Big Game James, three titles, most valuable player in one of the great game seven performances in the history of the National Basketball Association. His numbers in the postseason leaps and bounds the regular season. This guy got it done when it was the most important time to get it done. While Russ has been a shrieking Violet moved that camera up a little closer. In words that I know only you could understand this old man. He ain't lying, all right.
Speaker 5: That's the greatest sports radio caller ever. My friend Alan white Planes.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Alan white Planes instead of really asking me Russell Westbrook question, he used his time to really just make the case for James Worthy. James Worthy was a hard one to rank as well as we talked about it. If you want to go back and listen to the episodes, James Worthy doesn't have the all nbas and the MVP votes and all that stuff because of the team he was on, but he was unbelievable in the biggest moments. So I do understand the kind of reversal there. So you have one guy who has all the regular season stuff, all of it, and not a lot of the playoff stuff in Russ, and another guy who has all the playoff stuff but not a whole lot of the regular season stuff in James.
Speaker 5: So am I overvaluing the regular season?
Speaker 3: I would agree, possibly if a Russ didn't have any substantial playoff moments. But I think I laid out that early in his career. Up until Game five of the twenty sixteen playoffs forward game five of the Western Urbans Finals, I should say, basically from the moment Katie left to now, up until then, he was actually a very valuable playoff performance.
Speaker 5: So I think that, so I think Russe.
Speaker 3: Let me put it like this, Russ's playoff resume, one can make a strong case, is heftier than James Worthy's regular season resumes, and Russ's regular season resume is eye to eye with James Worthy's playoff resume. Russ's regular season resume is that of an all time guy. So again, though I said at the beginning that Russ was maybe the hardest player to the rank, I'm comfortable with Russell Westbrook being the thirty fifth best player of the last fifty years.
Speaker 5: My god, this thing's going by fast.
Speaker 3: We're going to finish off or at least come close to it the top thirty next week at this time for the fifty greatest players of the last fifty years. Part of What's right with the Great podcast series. We'll see you next week.