Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of the All Thoughts Podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway and I'm Joe.
Speaker 2: Why isn't that Joe?
Speaker 1: Have you looked at the Terran stock exchange recently?
Speaker 2: I have not. Let me look that up right now.
Speaker 3: I know it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Nope, I can't find any data for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have actually recorded.
Speaker 2: Do you know what happens when you look on the Bloomberg?
Speaker 1: Do you get a warning?
Speaker 3: How about you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So if you look, if you're on the Bloomberg terminal and you want to see what's happening on the Tehran Stock Exchange, you actually get a red bar and it said sanctions may apply to this instrument, and you can't get the data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right. And we have actually done an episode on Iranian stocks before. And one of the reasons this particular market is interesting is because it has to be the most unfamiliar equity market out there, I think for the vast majority of investors. Because of sanctions, you can't access data on it. You're not going to see a lot of news stories on what's going on with Iranian stocks. It's just really hard to get a sense at any single point in time of what this market is doing, what it's comprised of, and basically any information on it at all.
Speaker 2: That's right, It's very strange it exists. There are plenty of stocks on it, you know. It's always sort of interesting, I guess, to be reminded that stock markets exist in all these far flowing locations. Iran, of course, is a relatively big middle income country, but because of the sanctions, it's just so unplugged into the Western financial system. You never it just doesn't even come up in any conversation. I mean, you hear much more about say the Saudi market or something like that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I'm almost kind of surprised when I read the numbers behind how big the range economy actually is, because again, it's just one that people don't really talk about that much, except maybe in the context of oil exports. But anyway, as I mentioned, we did an episode on the Iranian stock market a couple years ago, and obviously Iran is back in the news. There's always been a degree of geopolitical risk in this market for obvious reasons. We already mentioned sanctions, but geopolitical risk has just kicked into high gear given the conflict between Israel and Hamas, and so I thought it might be interesting to bring back our guest and just try to take a look at what's happening in this extremely unfamiliar and sort of opaque market.
Speaker 2: That's right, and obviously right prior to the start of the war, you know, obviously there had been talk and we talked about this with Gregory brew Actually there had been this easing not of the sanctions, but of it seemed, of the enforcement of the sanctions, and so a lot of Iranian oil has been flowing out of the country despite the sanctions, and of course there was that money that the Biden administration had unfrozen and then since refrozen, and so there had been some macro moves happening around. Whatever trajectory Iran may have been on is probably on something different now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so we are going to be speaking with our previous guest. It's match A Voytol. He is an investor in Iranian stocks. In fact, I think he's the only or he runs, the only foreign institutional investor that is actually investing in Iran. So again, not a very crowded market and certainly an unusual one. Matche thank you so much for coming back on all thoughts.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So maybe just to begin with, you could sort of give us a reminder of what it is that you and your fund actually do for listeners who weren't listening to all blots back in twenty What's what's your mandate?
Speaker 4: Right? So really like a like a brief description of what we're doing and why we are doing this. So we run an equity fund. It's a proper mutual fund registered in one of the European jurisdictions, and our mandate is to buy stocks listed on the Tehran Stock Exchange. So Terran Stock Exchange is the biggest stock market that no one has ever heard of, and it's a proper market. It has around six hundred companies listed. More than fifty different industries are present on the market, so it's not a proxy on oil prices. It's around two hundred and fifty billion dollar market cup and this decent liquidity. So if Iran was properly integrated into you know, global financial markets with no sanctions on it, you know, Iran would be definitely one of the members in MSCI Emerging Markets in this is or would be the biggest member of MSA frontier markets. And this is but because of all those difficulties that you mentioned related to sanctions mainly and capital controls, there are no foreign investors there. We got interested back in twenty sixteen when it became legal to start doing anything with your run. Well, as long as you're not an American investor. Americans still cannot touch the market, but it became legal for everyone else pretty much. But still, you know, half of our work is doing due diligence and actually you know, working on operations to to make it possible to investor. But you know, what's what's interesting, why why we are doing this is that you know, you mentioned that it's that that you were surprised how big Iran's economy is, and I would say that that, no, it's actually very small comparing to how big it could get because he ran. You know, it's around ninety million people, the largest combined oil and gas reserves in the world, and they properly developed and diversified economy well thanks to decades of sanctions, they didn't have a choice. They had to, you know, develop all different parts of the economy. And all this in terms of GDP is around well, depending how you calculated, but it's around two hundred billion dollars. Now, when you look at Turkey, which is a similar size of the country in terms of population and geographical size, but no natural resources, Turkey is around eight hundred nine hundred billion dollars. If you look at Saudi Arabia, which has no other pretty much no other sectors except for you know, oil and some petrochemicals, the GDP over there is around one trillion dollars. So in some you know, super optimistic, very very positive scenario, if everything went well for Iran, Iran could become basically the combination of the two, which is, you know, anywhere one point eight to two trillion dollars. So the upside for the economy is you know, eight times from where it is right now. So this is the potential, This is the optionality that is in the market. And on top of that, once the country starts to open up, obviously there is a long list of things that would have to you know, come in place. Then we expect to see a lot of capital flowing into the market. And right now it's only domestic capital and us which means that because there is not enough capital, the you know, access local assets are valued at very low levels. So we what we are seeing in the market is, you know, we're buying stocks four to five times forward net earnings. Those earnings are growing, they are paying dividends. The average or the medium dividend field you know for the top one hundred companies is probably close to fifteen percent, so you know, strong double digit dividend fields. Valuations at such levels that you know, they cannot really fall further as long as those earnings are growing. So investment risks are pretty small, pretty limited. You have different sorts of risks. You have geopolitics exactly as you mentioned. I mean, you know, those those equities basically are priced for war, and obviously there is a reason. There might be a reason for that, because it's because it's the Middle East. And it's amazing how the how the narrative you know, the region reminded everyone that you know that the situation and the and the perception of the region can can make a U turn overnight, because a month ago it was not only what you mentioned in the introduction that you know, there was some sort of arrangement between Iran and the US which led to the prisoner exchange, which which was very important because historically prisoner exchange was usually the first step to something bigger. And then on top of that, you know, Iran is selling a lot of oil, so obviously sanctions are probably you know, not enforced very very strictly and so on. But the bigger story a month ago was in the whole Middle East where Iran basically signed a you know, you can call it the peace treaty with Saudi Arabia after many years of not having the promoting relations. Then what followed were you know, discussions and restoration of diplomatic ties with between Iran and you know, Age of Bukrain, all Saudi Saudi allies.
Speaker 2: And so you know, obviously want to talk about the the trajectory of the country. But to back up for a moment, obviously the country, as we said in the intro, the country's entire financial system extremely cut off to the point that you can't access the data. Can you talk about how just remind us for those who haven't listened to the episode, which I think was late twenty nineteen or early twenty twenty, the mechanics of how you access the stock exchange from where you are.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, so look, you have to access te Ran Stock Exchange website, which actually sometimes you're not able to access it from IPS from outside of Iran. We subscribe to local services price services like you know Mini Bloomberg's in Iran that offer a very decent the way of you know, going through the data so you can not only you cannot not only follow the prices stock prices, but also it's a good database in a nice format of historical earnings, quarterly earnings, monthly sales data, corporated announcements, charts or different types of charts like price charts, fundamental charts, historical valuations and so on and so forth. So this is all available in Iran. You have to you know, find those you know, those suppliers, subscribe to those services. It's much much easier if you have people on the ground. So we had an office with free full time analysts who you know, who help with not only you know, research, but also getting things done because you know, some things you actually have to do manually. There. For example, companies paid very high dividends. Dividend yieldy is very high in the market, but they try not to pay for as long as possible, right because interest rates are high, so they try to get this you know, interest for as long as possible, so you actually have to chase them to pay it, right, you call them, you send faxes, right, stuff like that. So it's you need someone on the ground to do it on your behalf.
Speaker 1: Okay, another really basic question on that note, and again we are unable to access any sort of data, but what has been going on with Iranian stocks recently?
Speaker 4: Right, so on seventh of October, I believe that it was the case for the whole region that they is, local currency is sold off and local stock stock markets went down. Obviously, what happened was that over the so initially everything went down. For the first three weeks, the index, local equity index measured in dollar terms was going down, with the lowest point around ten percent in terms of you know, the correction. Since then it started bouncing back. In local currency terms, the equity indexes actually at the level from seventh October, so it made up for all the losses. The currency is still down, so from a foreign investor who is measuring you know, the P and L in dollar terms, you are still roughly three percent down, so it's actually not that bad given you know, the circumstances. Given that the risk for local markets and especially Iran, which is involved in everything that is going on. You know, the worst case scenario is that potentially there is a military conflict war and I don't know Iranian refineries or petro chemical plants or military targets and so on. So there was and people were quite scared. We could see this. Some of the sectors went down in the meantime for by about twenty percent, bounced back since then, but mainly there was happening due to very low liquidity. What was the biggest impact actually we could see was on liquidity. Normal liquidity is around one hundred and fifty million dollars per day, and it went to as low as thirty forty million. So what was going down the most is actually the most ill liquid stocks or ill liquid industries. So when I when I look at sectors that really were hit the most, it's textile producers, confectioneries, you know, so think they're not related to war or geopolitics at all, but they are basically in liquid. And one thing important to remember, so the stock market is driven by retail investors. Ninety percent of daily trading is done by retail, so you know it's very emotional, it's very short term momentum, I would say, so they are selling or buying depending on the recent price action, so they were driving the share price direction basically.
Speaker 1: So when you say performance hasn't been that bad, I'm kind of curious what the basis of comparison is, because you know, in a frontier market or an emerging market, if you're looking at you know, Kuwaiti stocks or something like that, I imagine you would look at the wider benchmark or other members of like the MSCI Emerging Market Index or something like that, and that would help you gauge relative performance. But for something like Iran, because it's so unusual, it feels difficult to benchmark its performance in one way or another.
Speaker 4: Yes, and the thing that is most volatile in Iran is the currency. So the stock market is much less volatile in the local currency than when measured in dollar terms. The local stock market is actually well hedged against the currency depreciations because it's the majority of the biggest companies are actually exporters. They benefit from currency depreciation, but share prices react with a lack So for a for a foreign investor, you initially usually when something is happening. You usually get hit see a drawdown due to a big currency volatile currency move, and then the stock market usually rallies because you know, people realize that exporters will start showing better earnings and when share price eventually will always you know, follow EPs and the lag is is because the market is driven by retail. So you know, in the US everything would be you know, any currency move would be priced you know, real time into share prices of stock that are sensitive to currency moves, right, and in Iran sometimes takes you know a month for two months, right, So it's actually a big opportunity that you have time to to to position yourself correctly. But also what you can compare it with is okay, there are two two two interesting facts about the performance of the market. So, first of all, when I looked at the last fifteen years and big geopolitical events for example, like previous conflicts with Hamas in Gaza, or there was a situation between Iran and the US where people were saying that this was close to a military conflict when Iranian General Solimani was killed and then Iran retaliated by firing some missiles at a American base in Iraq. When I looked at the performance of the market, it never went down more than ten percent in dollar terms. Actually, so what happened right now, I think the bottom was around almost eleven percent, was pretty much in line with those historical geopolitical events that were also presented a big risk for the local market. But another way of looking at the Iranian market is the historical performance, and this is very interesting because if you look at the performance of the benchmark equity index it's called ted Picks Index, total total return for the last fifteen years, so since the inception in twenty eighteen, the annualized return in dollars is around eleven percent, which I think is quite amazing because it's pretty much the same as for S and P five hundred, maybe maybe twelve percent for S five hundred, So it's the same ballpark, and the environment was completely different, I mean, couldn't be more different, because over that over the last fifteen years in the US, you had you know, technology revolution, those mega apps you know, appearing on the market, interest rates you know initially going to zero, the top of the cycle, you know, margins operating margins on top of them, you know, top of the top of the cycle basically evaluations. And in Iran you had two episodes of currency depreciation of more than seventy five percent, you had some some crazy presidents, you had US sanctions un sanctions, and still at the end of the day, when you measure the performance, compare the performance over the last fifteen years, it's pretty much the same, obviously with much bigger volatility, because you know, the in Iran the volatility was probably around forty percent or something. But that shows you that, you know, when you're buying assets had very very low valuations, and I say talking about you know, there's four times net earnings, let's say, and the economy and those companies are actually naturally hatched against the currency volatility or big depreciation. Then you know, even in those countries where things are going really bad, you can still make money. But what is more important is that if in bed times you were still averaging, you know, eleven percent per year, you know, just think what you can make, what you can expect when when you know things finally go the right way for Iran and the country opens up and so on, you know, that's that's that's the potential that we are obviously hoping for her.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about perhaps the signs of a thaw in these several months leading up to October seventh, between the prisoner exchange, the expanded flow of oil from the perception of a lower enforcement of the sanctions. Was that showing up in the in the market in a clear way, and just to sort of emphasize that further, would there way to see that in the sectoral breakdown? So for example, if there is more oil flowing out of Iran or if there was, was that redounding to the benefit of oil related listed Iranian stocks?
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 4: So the question about oil, the answer is no, because oil is not listed. The only oil related stock that you can find our local oil refineries that you know, produce you know.
Speaker 2: So they don't they don't benefit from further export.
Speaker 4: They are correlated to cruck spreads because they're domestic formula for the price at which they are buying oil from the government is a function of regional cruckspreads. So nothing nothing to do with it. But there was one instrument that showed perfectly higher oil sales is the currency. The currency which I've been talking about that it's so volatile this year, it's been it's been super stable, around five hundred thousand real per dollar, and it's been going, Oh, I don't know what's the volatility, volatility, having checked it, but it's you know, comparing to the previous couple of years, like nothing is going on with the currency, and this is and this is this is a clear signal that there are enough reserves that you know, Central Bank of Iran is accumulating that you know, the pressure is gone. I mean, it's you know, it's still very complicated because you know, bank transfers don't really work or at least not easy with with Iran. So whenever Iran and exporters are selling something, whether this is oil or some more formal exports and more transparent exports, very often they don't get the money back to Iran. It's it's it's somewhere there. They get paid to I don't know, accounts in China or whatever, and it's and it's lying on those accounts and then money from those accounts can be used to find and imports, but it's not really coming back to Iran. So it's helping because Iran has probably needs to spend roughly twenty billion dollars per year to finance some essential imports, right, and this is and this is this is like the minimum amount. If this is missing, then well Iran will have to buy dollars at any price. And this is and this is when big depreciations happen, right, because they need to buy some food, some some pharmaceuticals and so on, so they will buy that any price. So when this is covered, then on top of that you have budget deficit. But this is again maybe ten, maybe fifteen billion billion dollars. So altogether, if Iran manages to get thirty to forty billion dollars per year from oil sales, things are pretty much sorted in terms of steadility, in terms of financing imports, in terms of you know, budget deficit and so one. In normal circumstances, you know, countries opened well integrated with the rest of the world and so on, they will see every month inflow of you know, several billion dollars that will put pressure actually on the on the appreciation of the Iranan currency, of the Iranan reality. So yeah, so that's that's that's important. So you could see this change the last couple of quarters exactly in the exchange rate, and it's and it's astonishing, how you know, how volatility went down on the effects.
Speaker 1: So I take the point about the market itself being influenced by currency movements and things like that.
Speaker 3: But you already.
Speaker 1: Described how the players in Iranian stocks are mostly retail investors. I'm going to assume mostly domestic retail investors too, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Can you maybe give us a little bit more color about what drives retail sentiment around Iran and inflows, because I imagine and correct me if I'm wrong, but like to me, it must be kind of a macro story, but maybe people get excited about individual stocks or the prospects for individual companies, But just give us a little bit more of a sense of what drives that sentiment.
Speaker 4: Yes, so it's I think pretty pretty easy. So it's the dollar, so the exchange rate of the dollar. It's the momentum. So if stop socialing momentum, then they start chasing momentum. And interest rates local interest rates, so maybe not central bank interest rates, but you know, whatever, whatever the deposit interest rate is. If there are several asset classes in Iran for retail investors, so real estate is the big one, the biggest one, but it's a you know, high ticket item, so not everyone can trade in and out of apartments. It's it's a well understood asset class as everywhere. Is why it's it's it's a bit you know, less interesting for us. So if Uranus have any spare cash, they will buy real estate. From what I heard, thirty percent of apartments in Tehran are actually empty because they are basically used to as a store of value, just to park somewhere, you know, assets savings, and they're not even rented out, they're just empty. And also just bear in mind that in Tehran, in the best places, best neighborhoods of Tehran, prices are quite expensive. So in the north of Tehran, if you want to buy an apartment, you have to pay around ten thousand dollars per squaremeter, so you know, a hundred scarameter of apartment, I don't know, three bedrooms will cost you, you know, a million dollars or something. Right in Iran, which which is which is a poor country, So this is real estate. Real estate is number one asset class. A very important class are used cars. So people trade use cars because they they they are again a hedge against inflation, against the currency depreciation because carrent manufacturers will always adjust prices based on inflation. Some of them have to be some of the components have to be imported, which is not easy. So you know, they produce more than one million cars, are actually closer probably to to one point five million cars per year, but this is not enough, so the demand is much higher. So they're trading used cars and their platforms that help you trade use cars. It's a it's a it's a proper asset class. And yes, and every iranium is actually a currency trader because because you know the currency has been so volatile historically that it's very important that you know what's happening to the to the dollar right or to the local currency you know against the dollar. So everyone is tracking, you know, the exchange rates. And it's not easy to buy and sell dollars. There are quotas for you know, individual Uranians due to capital controls. So that's why instead of buying dollars or to buy or to get a bigger position, they go to those proxy asset classes like used cars or of real estate and also interest rates so you can buy sell treasure rebels, treasury reviews up to you know, two years maturity. They they pay around twenty five percent. YouTube maturity may be a bit more right now. So, so interest rates are high. And that's another thing. Look when you when you when you look at Iran, there is not enough capital there. There's basically not enough money, not enough credit doesn't exist. I mean you cannot get a mortgage at you know, twenty five percent, right, I mean you cannot finance anything at twenty five percent. And because of very volatile metro, people also tend to you know, postpone investment decisions, whether these are individuals or more importantly companies. Right, everyone is looking like six months ahead, maybe twelve months ahead, right, and managing managing a crisis, because there is always some sort of crisis. Right, So when you think about it, for example, I don't know, every company is running big inventories just in case, just so that they have enough you know, material to manufacture their products. So they are not optimized organized in this very efficient, you know leaning way they are. They are organized, you know, just to survive, survive basically you know, war conflicte, currency depreciation, sanctions, trade disruptions.
Speaker 3: Whatever, right, right, matcha.
Speaker 1: This is exactly what I wanted to ask you, because when you mentioned, you know, people investing in real estate as a speculative pl and the idea of a certain proportion of apartments standing empty in Iran. The example that immediately spread the mind was China. And in China there's a lot of money that's sort of trapped and recirculating in the economy. I used to call it China's Great Ball of Money because of capital controls, and I imagine maybe there's a similar issue in Iran where there's not enough capital but there's a lot of domestic savings that are sort of are unable to get outside of the Iranian economy. Is that the right way to think of it?
Speaker 4: So my understanding is that it used to be the case that Iran, when you looked at household savings was you know, top of the list when you look at emerging markets at least in like you know, purchasing power parity way of looking at this. However, last couple of years have been really tough for your dance due to sanctions. So when sanctions were ranged in twenty eighteen, they haven't heard manufacturing, they haven't heard exports companies that much. To be honest, I mean, because you know, people find the way I mean companies that exports in the region, they are not really affected by sanctions, big exporters that used to send you know, products to Japan and so one, yes, they were affected, but they found other roots and manufacturers. You know, sanctions cost one thing. I mean, sanctions caused the currency volatility, so the big depreciations of real and manufacturers who have costs in real but they either sell in heart currency or at prices linked to some regional benchmarks that are in heart currency, their margins actually expanded. Look, it's an interesting thing that the highest earnings growth that we've seen over the last couple of years was one year after the twenty eighteen sanctions. This is crazy because this is you know, not not as intended I would assume, right, and and who got hurt by sanctions, Well, households because they are price takers. So when the inflation shot up because of the currency depreciation, they their spending power went down massively, right and and and and and they and and they were able to survive. And it was actually quite interesting that they were holding up quite well. And this is because of those savings, right, of the high high savings that Iranian households had I'm not sure what's the situation right now, because they've been I think, you know, on a net basis, those savings have been have been decreasing over the last couple of years because they had just had to spend them. But yes, that's that's what helped them, you know, survive the the inflation.
Speaker 2: I just have one more question, I think, I mean when when when we talked about this a few years ago and obviously earlier on the chat just now, and you were talking about comps within the m s c I or perhaps expectations that one day there would be a proper easing of relations between Iran and Western capitals and that that would open up markets, et cetera. Presumably a lot of that as the expectations are going to reverse. But could it be that that never happens, and that the future is just a much bigger, sort of Chinese centric sphere of financial influence in the region, exports across Afghanistan, more trade with Russia, and that Iran Iranian companies end up benefiting from the emergence of a basically separate you know, people talk about the bricks for the deglobalization. Yeah, yeah, that basically instead of it one day becoming plugging more into Western financial system that it never does that, it just plugs into another large emerging financial system to the benefit of Iranian companies.
Speaker 4: This is what's happening right now. Absolutely, this part of the regionalization trend. In terms ofization, Iran is being accepted to all those organizations like like bricks, like Shanghai Corporation Organization, which doesn't mean much because these are just political organizations. But on the other hand, it means that you know, it's not isolated there right, that the country is welcome and will be part of those you know, potentially different systems, which can be I don't know, financial systems or economic ecosystems. So yes, absolutely this is happening. However, there is another big factor that will be driving Iran's direction in the future, and it's the population. It's demographics. Look, ninety million people live in Iran and two thirds of them were born after the revolution in seventy nine, so they can't really relate to any revolutionary slogans. They have their own, like you know, vision for the country idea. They basically have their own vision of their lifestyle that they want to have. Right and and this is the same trend that is happening in other countries like Soudi Arabia, and Soudi Arabia is liberalizing a lot of areas of life. And you know, it's a very good decision. But I but I think that actually they don't have any other choice because you know, whichever country we're talking about, the local regime, the local government you know, at the end of the day, wants to stay in power, right, so they need to adjust to to basically have you know, their population happy and accept the states quo in terms of you know, the power and the regime and so on. So they have to change and and and and this this, this is driving countries. I mean the same with you know, protests that you could see at the beginning of the year in in Iran, women protests. This is all changing the country, even if it's not like visible immediately, it's it's it's it's a massive force. And I think this will also affect the direction of the country.
Speaker 1: All right, MATCHA, thank you so much for that really interesting conversation on a market that we don't often hear a lot about.
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming back on all thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yes, great, it was great. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great, Thank you so much, really appreciate it and great chat.
Speaker 3: Super interesting.
Speaker 2: We'll chat with you again in three.
Speaker 4: Years, right right, yeah around teachers your patient right yo?
Speaker 1: Right, So Joe, that was really interesting and we'll have to talk to match again and I guess three years time to see what's been going on. But I thought the mention of apartments and used cars as speculative investments, I had never heard that before for a ran that was super interesting. And again his point that it was sort of like China, but actually now a lot of personal savings have been run down. I guess that makes a lot of sense given the situation recently.
Speaker 2: I thought that was an incredibly fascinating conversation because, yeah, I mean, there are some sort of basic macro principles that apply regardless of the situation the country finds. It's in this idea that corporations in Irun operate with higher stockpiles of raw materials and other inventories, the opposite of lean, which of course the.
Speaker 1: Corporate side of the personal savings rate, right, like you have to build your own cushion. Yeah, extreme uncertainty.
Speaker 2: In extreme uncertainty, you're not going to operate with sort of minimal Obviously, American investors want to see, Oh, get your inventory levels down, get your cash levels down, the fish every right, That's not the way any company is going to react in a country that's constantly buffeted by various geopolitical forces and sanctions and many unexpected things. The idea that there is this sort of beginning of increased relationships, maybe just pull it go so far, so far, but plugging into China and the bricks, et cetera, and maybe it just never happens that. I thought it was a very interesting conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I liked your last question because I think, you know, maybe a couple decades ago, there would have been an assumption that a country like Iran would be absorbed into the global economy. You know, you have this booming population and the line of globalization was always going up. Yeah, but I think in twenty twenty three there's certainly a question mark around that, and it does seem like we're heading more towards those sphere of influences as you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few big spheres of influence, rather than an expectation that it all sort of funnels into one on one flow of capital around the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, shall we leave it there?
Speaker 2: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has been another episode of the Odd Thoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me on Twitter at Tracy.
Speaker 2: Alloway and I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me on Twitter at the Star Wars. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carmen Arman, Dashel Bennett at Dashbot, and Kelbrooks at Kelbrooks. Thank you to our producer Moses Ondam. For more Oddlots content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots, where we have transcripts, a blog and a newsletter that comes out every Friday that Tracy and I write. And check out our discord discord dot gg slash odd Lots, where listeners are chatting with each other twenty four to seven on a range of topics. Really fun place to hang out.
Speaker 1: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you find it interesting when we do deeper dives into more unfamiliar markets, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: In the e