Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on the biggest pop culture stories of the week, like is Flavor flav coming to the rescue of an Olympic controversy? Is the hot news scent for Cologne mayonnaise? And is Disney in its villain era? I don't know, we'll find out. It's Friday, August sixteenth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: And I'm Simoon Boyce and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 4: Simon, We've had quite a week.
Speaker 2: We started off strong with June's Squib and our girl Mikayla j Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of my favorite weeks yet.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed learning about mindfulness with doctor Ellen Langer too. You know what was interesting I realized when I was hanging out with my kids yesterday. Kids are the best mindfulness mentors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're so present, they.
Speaker 3: Are so present, But specifically Ellen Langer's advice is to know that is the key to mindfulness. And when I'm with my kids, they'll be like, Mom, look there's a kite. Mom, Look there's a bug.
Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 3: Look, there's this and it seems annoying in the moment, but as I started to think about it, I was like, oh my gosh, they're practicing mindfulness and I have so much to learn from that.
Speaker 1: That's cool, Simon, Yeah, I love that. Well.
Speaker 3: Anyways, I'm so ready to talk all things pop culture today and kick this weekend off rights.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 2: But before we go there, it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week, brought to you by our friends at BMW. This week, we're spotlighting a wholesome moment that reminds us of the power of kindness. Tory Helford is a content creator and recently surprised her mailman with a gift basket filled with snacks and treats, a gesture that she said was an apology for a build up of deliveries and packages while she was on vacation. So she shared his reaction on TikTok, which was captured via a ring camera, and it showed the delivery person named Daniel, filled with gratitude and excitement and in the clip you see him spotting the basket after dropping off packages, saying no way to the bundle of goodies followed by thank you, And this is awesome, so sweet and.
Speaker 1: A reminder that a little gesture really goes a long way.
Speaker 2: I just feel like the small interactions in our lives with like our barista, our male person, like they make such a difference in our day, and so I love when people show gratitude for those interactions and those people.
Speaker 3: My mom always told me to be really grateful and kind to the people who are in service roles, and mister Rogers always said, like, remember the helpers and remember the helpers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, find the helpers.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The people in these roles tend to be overlooked and feel invisible in our society, but they're so essential And I love this message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too. All Right, see money, you ready to pop off?
Speaker 3: Definitely ready, because we have a special treat today.
Speaker 2: We do Today we are taking you behind the scenes and we are introducing you to our wider bright side family. So what the best of you don't get to hear every day is how we pop off behind the scenes. Right, We have such a fun and lively conversation with our producers as we prepare for the show every day. Sometimes I wish we could bring everything we talk about off air on air, so today we thought we would make that happen.
Speaker 3: I know everyone who's listening is going to be shocked to hear that we actually have male colleagues.
Speaker 1: We have men in the office.
Speaker 4: It's not just women, honestly, very few, but we have them.
Speaker 1: They're here, they're here.
Speaker 4: They're important.
Speaker 2: But joining us today for popping off is our showrunner, the man in charge, the myth, the legend, Tim Palizola. Yeah, okay, I'm just going to give you a little bio. He's an Emmy winning producer overseeing shows like RuPaul's Drag Race, Ink Master, and Bar Rescue You, and now, of course he joins us behind the scenes every single day. On the bright side, he takes no mess.
Speaker 1: Tim, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: This is now my favorite episode, same saying, I am so thrilled to be here today. Thank you so much. We are taking no mess today, taking no mess.
Speaker 3: I just have to tell everyone that whatever Mikayla Jays said takes no mess. Tim adopted that into his vocabulary and we've we've heard it every single day, multiple times a day since, and.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 5: I might have worn it out the way we have worn out brat summer. But we're just gonna roll with it. We're just gonna roll with it for sure.
Speaker 1: Tim.
Speaker 3: We're so happy to have you on popping off today. This is so much fun.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna start off with some Olympics conversation, y'all. So the Olympics itself may be over, but the discussion around one US gymnast is still going strong. Because all week we've been talking about Jordan Childs, who is stripped of her bronze medal from the women's floor exercise competition at the Paris Olympics. This is all very unprecedented. I'm gonna break it down for you. So here's what happened. At the very end of Jordan's floor exercise at the Paris Games. After her initial score was announced, Chiles's coach appealed the score, saying she didn't receive enough credits for the difficulty of the routine. So the judges agreed in that moment and raised her score, which moved her up to third place, bumping her competition and a Barboso of Romania off the podium. But the International Olympic Committee later found out that the scoring inquiry was invalid because her coach filed the appeal. Get this four seconds too late? Four seconds That's what it comes down to. So Chiles was stripped of her medal. This is still developing, so look, we never know. Things could change, but this actually makes Jordan Childs the only gymnast in history who's ever been stripped of an Olympic medal for reasons not having to do with failing a drug test or age falsification. Let's not forget the incredible moment that this win led to. That image of the first all black gymnetastis podium shared by Jordan Chiles, Simone Biles, and Rebecca Androgy. What do you guys make of this controversy?
Speaker 5: Well, there's been so much back and forth about it too, because the US team came back and said, we actually submitted this four seconds early.
Speaker 6: So like there's some time.
Speaker 5: Back and forth going on about whether or not it was four seconds late or it was four seconds early, So like there's still a complete discrepancy about that time. But I just feel so bad for her. The rollercoaster of what this has been, the you're a winner, Oh no, we're taking this away. Oh you're a winner again, because this has been going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's what I can't stop thinking about. Imagine working your whole life for something and have that moment ruined by an incompetent judging panel, like it wasn't ruined by another gymnast, it wasn't ruined by her error, it was an.
Speaker 5: Incompetent judging panel, like, get it together, Get it together. Yes, I agree, and I feel like the spirit with everything that's going on in the world, it would be such a nice gesture to celebrate the accomplishments of these two extraordinary athletes during this time.
Speaker 3: I have an unpopular opinion, I want Jordan Chiles to get this medal. I also understand why these rules are in place, and I'm not a rules person. Y'all probably know this about me by now. I don't do rules. I don't like rules. That's not how I live my life. But in certain situations, in spaces, there is a need for rules. And I think in a competition like this, where precision matters, seconds matter, I do understand the need to adhere to.
Speaker 5: The rules one hundred percent. So do you think what so what happens now for you? That's a good question. I think we need to get clear on the time. If her coaches did in fact submit the inquiry within the correct timeframe, then I think she should get the medal. If they did not submit it within the timeframe. I know four seconds is like so small and so annoying, but I actually do think that they should adhere to the rules. So they have cameras everywhere, right, how do they not know this? I mean we watch other sports. We see like football plays get called, we see basketball challenges happen and they figure it out in the moment.
Speaker 6: The cameras everywhere. How does not know when this was actually done?
Speaker 2: I don't even care about the seconds. Actually, I feel like this was the Olympic committee's error. If it's the error of the person competing, I understand the rules and the time, but the Olympic committee take it on the chin.
Speaker 4: It's your fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, somebody is chiming in on this conversation other than the three of Us plot to us Flava flave, he offered Jordan Childs a custom blinged out bronze clock, and I'm not sure this is helpful because Jordan Chiles went she logged off social media. She says she's taking care of her mental health. She's clearly really upset over this. And then here it comes Flava Flavor. I'm not sure the clock metal is the same as an Olympic medal.
Speaker 5: I will say, hot take. I think I'd rather have clock metal to wear around.
Speaker 3: Well. Her mom did respond to Flava Flav on Twitter and she was like, thank you so much. This is a really sweet gesture. I know Jordan has really moved by it. I'm gonna tell her even though she's not on social media, but I mean, low kei Flava Flave being like a hero of women's sports. It's also contributing to the women's water polo team, and he's now the hype man for the women's water polo team.
Speaker 5: For a man who was so misogynist to women for so honestly now showing up like this, people can change.
Speaker 6: So yeah, here's the great hope for the world.
Speaker 2: In twenty nineteen, I was in Las Vegas with AT and T and I did a red carpet and Flava Flav walks on and I was so obsessed with the me too movement still am so I throw in a question at the end because it was not about the red carpet was not about And at the end, I just threw in, hey, flavor, flav in hindsight, with everything that has been going on in the world, how do you look back on your television show and those moments, would you do anything differently?
Speaker 4: And he looks at me, he goes absolutely not.
Speaker 2: So for that to happen, and then for him to be such a proponent of women and women's sports, I'm happy for the evolution.
Speaker 1: Honestly, We'll take it. We'll take it, we will.
Speaker 4: Take it, Okay.
Speaker 2: Next up is an actor speaking out about a controversy of her own. In an episode on Jenny Garth's podcast this week, Julie Bowen, who was a Star and Modern Family, revealed that the press often tried to pit her and her co stars Sophia Vergara against each other, quote like they hated each other. She said they tried to push a Betty and Veronica narrative on them, saying it's quote the scarcity mindset that only one woman can be happy at a time.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Neither of them fed into this, which I think is awesome. But this false sense of rivalry is not new. We saw it with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, Taylor Swift, and Katie Perry. Most recently Sabrina Carpenter and Olivia Rodrigo. We saw it with Hailey Bieber and Selena Gomez. I'm sure there are examples of this from the sixties, seventies and eighties that I'm unaware of. What's with the obsession with pitting women against each other. I feel like we've evolved out of this, and yet we haven't.
Speaker 3: Honestly, whenever I find something that really bothers me about the way the media works or portrays the world, it actually oftentimes is a reflection back on us, back on the consumer, because if people weren't clicking on stories like this, they wouldn't be making them.
Speaker 5: Fortunately, it's great advertising and marketing for a lot of this too, yeah, you know, because people want to follow the behind the scenes drama of something. I'm thrilled to see that Julie and Sophia didn't bite into this, but we see how it's had such a negative impact on women over time.
Speaker 2: So Jamila jimil who we had on the show, talks about this a lot, and I feel like I need to quote her because I can't say it any better than she does. She has this thing called hashtag defund the patriarchy, and she says, it's a sad truth that media drips down in culture, society, schools. We have to actively reject the rot. We control the market. The media responds to whatever they think we want. So let's show them that we don't want this so that they stop doing it. Just like we were able to at least stop them from overtly fat shaming women in their bathing suits. Now it's more insidious, but there's a shift in the bodies they celebrate and a shift in their language. We can keep chugging them along towards being humane and halfway decent. If we lose them, they're advertising money because they lost our attention.
Speaker 6: So I think really powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: Can either of you think of an example of when the media has done this to men.
Speaker 5: I think you see it in sports a lot. You think you see it with like sports heroes. But again, that's like the sense of rivalry in the competition because it's inherent in what they're doing.
Speaker 6: But this is completely different. And Julie on the.
Speaker 5: Same show celebrated for what they're both doing as women, they're playing completely different characters like there's no there's no competition and what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Devil's advocate here.
Speaker 3: If athletes are benefiting from these kinds of narratives in media, should women lean into it? Is there a way for women to reclaim it and make it beneficial for them?
Speaker 5: Well, I think Taylor Swift did that, like with Bad Blood and some other reputation, Like she really took back her own narrative. Like that's where I think when women can be savvier than the media, right, Like they were being talked she was being talked about, and she came out and she was just like, I'm gonna I'm going to capitalize on this.
Speaker 2: I think it maybe become like there is personal capitalization or personal gain, but I think collectively it still takes us back. Like I think the spiritual woo woo person in me is like it's just it's not good, like it it puts us behind because the narrative is that women are caddy and we know that we're not.
Speaker 6: But we also see it like Ryan Murphy show was literally called feud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, so there is a little bit of an insatiable quality to see like women sort of fighting with each other, like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean in a view and the view view.
Speaker 1: Really, it always comes back.
Speaker 6: To daytime talk for Damie.
Speaker 4: I love daytime television.
Speaker 6: Same Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be the negative Nancy here, but we have to hit pause on popping off.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back and we're back, all right. This next one is going to start a feud for sure. File this one under outrageous because hitting the market, guys, is a new scent that smells like mayonnaise. The Dyennessee Titans quarterback Will Levice and the condiment brand Helman's have collaborated on a new cologne called Perfume de Mayonnaise. It's got notes of parsley tart, lemon musk, creamy vanilla, and let's not forget the star of the show, Mayonnaise Accord, which I'm told is an assortment of mayonnaise fragrances. I know how I'm feeling about this.
Speaker 1: How about you, guys? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Okay, unpopular opinion, I despise Colonne and Perfume.
Speaker 4: Everybody's eyes went large.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wear it every day, I know, and you smell really good. Personally, I don't wear any fragrance or try and use products with fragrance in it. It disrupts your endocrine system. In my opinion, Simone and I disagree on this, So I don't want to buy any perfume, let alone one that smells like mayonnaise.
Speaker 1: Who bought this?
Speaker 4: And why did it sell out?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know why We're all looking at t him like he has the answers right now.
Speaker 5: I just want everyone at home to know I'm not wearing mayonnaise scent in cologne.
Speaker 1: Now he's wearing Ketchup scented Ketchup scented.
Speaker 5: You know, these these are the outrageous types of things that people love for like gag gifts, stocking stuffers. These are huge, like big marketing ploys. There was a Velveta cheese scented nail polish a few years ago. Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: No, Now I'm googling and it was.
Speaker 5: The actual color of Velveta And I remember trying that as a gag and it was really funny for a second until you're out in public and people like, what.
Speaker 2: Is that is?
Speaker 5: Did you did you have Velvita? Like, oh no, it's it's my nails, Like it makes But those types of things. For the longest time, it was bacon. Remember when it was bacon sent in candles and bacon scented. You all are looking at me like I'm crazy, But like I grew up in Virginia, so this was like a thing.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, what was that store? Like hot topic or hot topic? All those spencers, Spencers had all the gifts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean these are really the thing about these types of things I think is like it's so impossible to try to mark these days. It's it's impossible to like cut through a really crowded landscape. So when you do these huge collaborations with like Hellman's and an NFL player, it just like draws attention to the entirety of it. But I could never in a gazillion years imagine going anywhere and smelling like man is could you imagine showing up on a date?
Speaker 1: What does mayonnaise even smell like eggs?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a like a sour e Like it's like eggy, like a tarty eggy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Isn't it like you were at football practice and didn't shower, Like what's the difference?
Speaker 3: All I know is maybe that's why he's into it. All I know is a black person was not in charge of this clab. That's all I know. We are not responsible for this.
Speaker 6: This is on y'all.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not taking any no, no, you can.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, on that note.
Speaker 5: But I I have a friend who puts Mayo on everything.
Speaker 1: I actually do like Mayo.
Speaker 2: Have you ever mixed ketchup and Mayo and then made your own Thousand Island and dipped your French fries with the French wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not on your body, on.
Speaker 5: Your If you mix Mayo and ketchup in a little relish, you get thousand Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you're right, very Chicago hot Dog of.
Speaker 2: He very Yes, yes, yes, so clearly mayonnaise is the villain here. What I want to know is if you've ever rooted for a villain in a movie or a book.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, villains are misunderstood. They're often more interesting than the protagonists too. Give me an example, the joker Ursula bad bitch, but she's like more bad. What do you mean like She's like not really, I don't have a lot of empathy for Ursula. I mean, but she's also just a bad bitch, So I like her for that reason. Yeah, we don't get we don't get much of Ursula's backstory, so there's no there's no way to really develop empathy.
Speaker 5: New Disney spin off Stilla backstory, origin story. I think of outside of the Disney universe. I think about Miranda Priestley. Oh, there's something so complex and interesting about that portrayal as and I know you have a bit of a hot take on that, Yeah, Danielle.
Speaker 2: I know, because I think the real villain in that movie is Anne Hathaway's boyfriend.
Speaker 4: I have empathy for yeah, for her.
Speaker 5: Miranda Priestley's character is so complex and she's kind of like the villain you want to in some ways totally, but I also, you know, the villain and snow White. I feel sorry for her. She was the first person to like be age shamed. Oh wow, you know, she was mirror mirror on the wall. Who's the fairest one? Now it's snow White. Now I'm old And she's like, I gotta kill that bitch because I need to be young.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, there's sexism there. I think about all the bank robber movies. For some reason, I always have empathy for the robber because, like, there's a reason they need the money.
Speaker 6: Usually break the point.
Speaker 2: Break.
Speaker 3: I have empathy for Lord Farquaad from Shrek. You just you just wanted to say Lord farquad No, he's a short king and like he has a complex and you know he's he's always felt inadequate. He's never felt like he was enough, and he feels like he has to do all this stuff to commentate for it.
Speaker 4: How about the Grinch? Do you have any sympathy or empathy for the Grinch.
Speaker 3: I wasn't a big Grinch girl. Like, I never really I never really got into the Grinch core.
Speaker 4: Uh okay, well here's why I'm asking.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just this week, Disney announced that it's creating a new villain themed portion of the Magic Kingdom in Florida. It's called Villain's Land and it will be quote dark and thorny. It's going to feature attractions, dining, and shopping experiences, all inspired by the infamous Disney villains. So you mentioned and Ursula, She's going to be there, the Evil Queen, Gaston, and more. I don't know if Gaston was a villain, but whatever.
Speaker 5: So Gaston was a toxic f boy villain. He was we would see him on f Boy Island.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes.
Speaker 4: But like, is the Beast a villain?
Speaker 1: No, the beast is the Beast is Bay.
Speaker 3: He took a woman, kidnapped her, locked her in his.
Speaker 5: Isn't that story the originals like Stockholm syndrome?
Speaker 3: Yes, and he's not a villain. But they fall in love, so none of that matters. M Love Congress, Listen, I don't make the rules, guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think he.
Speaker 2: Watched too many fairy tales from the early two thousands.
Speaker 4: We've updated our ideas on that, Simone.
Speaker 3: I am honestly so excited for this though. I think this is going to be so cool, just to see the aesthetics of it. I'm picturing like dark reds and blacks and purples and blues, and it's just gonna be so moody.
Speaker 5: Yes, and such a nice contrast to the like bright, shiny, bubbly Disney stuff that has you think about this, like this portion of Disney has really been ignored.
Speaker 6: Like it's not maybe for good reason.
Speaker 2: Why do you want dark, like eerie things at Disney. Disney is about the bright, the light, the fun, the joy, the rainbows, the princesses.
Speaker 5: We're gonna We're gonna step into the complexity. Yes of Disney.
Speaker 4: This is so twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 6: I mean, I have to tell you.
Speaker 5: It's going to attract an entire new, oh my god audience of people, and the parks have seen some decline in revenue sales. So like, this feels like a really interesting way.
Speaker 4: You will not see me, though, I do not want to be part of it.
Speaker 5: There you can say at Cinderella's Castle, Simona and I will go stare at the mirror and wish to be young again.
Speaker 2: I also haven't been to Disney World since I was like seven years old, and I live in.
Speaker 4: LA and I have never been to Disneyland.
Speaker 6: You've never been Disneyland ever?
Speaker 1: Missing out.
Speaker 2: Every guy I date is like, I want to take you, and I'm like, I'm good. I don't want to stand in lines, I don't want to smell funnel cake.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 3: I will say, it's actually a really fun date. It is a really fun date.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so I am not married.
Speaker 1: I I know, I.
Speaker 6: Know probably yes, you old on real quick.
Speaker 5: You've just inspired something when you said funnel cake, funnel cake scented cologne.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think that's how Batho body works right now. But I actually do think theme parks are a wonderful date because we get so caught up in our adulting right and like we have so many responsibilities that weigh so heavily on us. When you go to a theme park with someone that you love, you get to like get snap into that junior high romance mode again. Yeah, and it's like it's just really fun to keep it light and like juvenile and silly with your partner. It brings out a different side.
Speaker 6: You are so right.
Speaker 5: Literally last week I had a friend reach out to to a few of us and say, hey, do you want to go to six Flags Magic Mountain, which is the theme park right here in California?
Speaker 4: What a nightmare?
Speaker 5: And I was initially I got the text was like, are you kidding me? Friday afternoon for a theme park for just a couple hours. This sounds like a nightmare. But I was like, you know what, why not. Let's just step out of our comfort zone.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 5: We had the most amazing time. You just like capture that like youth nostalgia. Danielle is staring at me like uh uh uh, because we.
Speaker 1: Talked about this and you went on roller coasters.
Speaker 6: Roller coaster where you.
Speaker 2: Were upside down, oh my god, hanging off of a ledge, which yes, you could not pay me to do that. Like people that enjoy that, I'm impressed by because it's so much adrenaline that I can't The court is all I can.
Speaker 6: It's so funny.
Speaker 5: We were on one of the roller coasters and we were going up and I was sitting next to the person next to me.
Speaker 6: I was like, these roller coasters, I think we're like a.
Speaker 5: Lot bigger when like I was a kid, and we were going up and up and up, and I was like, yeah, I don't think it's going to be so bad. And we I went over and I was like, ah, it was the most terrifying shit huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Were you shaking when you got off?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, shaking. There's one that you sit in a contraption and the track is above you, and then at the last minute they turn you up, so you're literally just hanging face down. You can't see anything you start going up. It was the most terrifying thing I think I had done. But I slept so good that night.
Speaker 1: I had a roller coaster hangover the day after six bags. Yeah, sentence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, the Internet sometimes feels like a roller coaster.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you both noticed people are using the word demure on social media a lot more?
Speaker 4: Yes, in the last few days.
Speaker 2: So many of my friends have posted photos with the caption is this demure?
Speaker 1: Very demure?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Our friend Lily Marson tweeted, can someone please fill me in on why everyone is suddenly using the word demure?
Speaker 1: So I don't feel old and confused.
Speaker 6: We got you.
Speaker 1: We are going to explain why demure is having a moment.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: There is a trans beauty and flincer on TikTok named Jules Lebron, and she typically shares makeup reviews and she currently has the Internet in a choke hold with this one silly viral phrase, very mindful, very demure.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 3: In a series of videos, she explains how she demurely reacts to certain situations. Basically, she's like giving all of us a cheeky etiquette lesson in how to navigate life with class.
Speaker 1: Let's listen.
Speaker 7: You see how I do my makeup for work, very demure, very mindful. I don't come to work with a green cut crease, don't look like a clown when I go to work. I don't do too much. I'm very mindful while I'm at work. See how I look very presentable. The way I came to the interview is the way I go to the job. A lot of you girls go to the interview looking like Marge Simpson and go to the job looking like Patty and Selma, not demure.
Speaker 4: Who's Patty and Selma from the Simpsons?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: The sisters, the smoking sisters.
Speaker 4: Do they wear a lot of makeup?
Speaker 6: They work at the DMV.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, So Lebron is basically calling all of us out. I guess we're doing too much and wearing too much makeup. Here's what Rolling Stone said about Lebron's respectability manifesto. They said, while demure's definition often involves modesty, piety, or being reserved, Lebron's version of demure is about being cutesy, respectable, and chill. So what do we think about having a demure fall?
Speaker 4: I hate this.
Speaker 2: I feel like I spent my entire teens and early twenties being trying to be demure and cutesy and all the things, and I am spending all of my thirties trying to be the exact opposite of modest or quiet or cutesy. And so I'm trying to have more of a brat summer brat fall.
Speaker 4: I am not trying to be demure.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, brat to have more fun, brats to have more fun.
Speaker 5: The irony and all of this, if you haven't actually seen the clip, is that this person is doing the most.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's in.
Speaker 3: Full glam while she's telling all of us to be demure. That's why this is all kind of confusing, because you're looking at her telling us to like be low key, and she's so not.
Speaker 4: I think she's in on the joke.
Speaker 6: Yes, and she's in on the joke. It's so funny, it's the most ridiculous.
Speaker 2: The thing I love about this, though, is that there are words that catch on in the zeitgeist that all of a sudden, all of us know. So like when we were growing up, we didn't have the internet. I grew up in Chicago, you grew up in Florida and Tennessee and California. We definitely probably had the same boots, we had the same type of jeans. Like we knew for some somehow we all knew kind of what was in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 1: And now kids have the.
Speaker 2: Internet and it's goblin mode boomer riz and.
Speaker 1: Skibbity gibbity toilet riz. I'm sorry what givity toilet ris?
Speaker 4: I must have missed that one.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys are almost.
Speaker 3: What does what is skibbity toilet riz?
Speaker 4: Thisunds disgusting?
Speaker 6: This is it's a potty training.
Speaker 3: This is no, no, no, this is what. This is what the kids say. Now, I'm not crazy, ask ask thank you crazy? It's is I heard from the booth just now from our producer. It'sy that the kids these days do be saying skibbity toilet ohio riz, I have no words.
Speaker 4: I don't understand what you just said. You might as well have spoken another language.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't know what it means.
Speaker 4: But so I just want to get a quick consensus on demure. Are you a voter? Down vote?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I'm down vote.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to go up.
Speaker 5: I know I was thinking about it because I love. What I love about these types of things is the absurdity. Yeah, yeah, you know so, like I love playing into the absurdity because the thing about Brat, like Bratt had such a negative like if you remove what we think about bratt presently in the summer, like that really has a negative connotation. If you were to call someone a brat like that was not a nice thing to say. And now we're all just like take it on. So I love the irony of these types of things.
Speaker 4: I like, you're right, like flipping a word on its head is very cool.
Speaker 3: I am I'm not demure. I'm never going to be that demure girl. I'm a rat all the way. But I am so here for what this moment is doing for this creator. For Jules Lebron, she posted a video where she was like, listen, if you've been sitting on an idea, like just make the TikTok, just put it out there, because me making tiktoks has changed my life. I'm being flown across the country now to host events and I can finance my transition. So I love what this is doing for her, and I do think it's I think it's really funny.
Speaker 4: The Internet's wild.
Speaker 1: The Internet is so wild.
Speaker 6: What a magical place. Okay, I think we can wrap.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, damn, you're hired. I mean again, well, all right, great, here we go.
Speaker 4: I think you have to come back every week.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, this has been the most fun. I feel like you said this earlier off camera, but I'm like the Gelman. Yeah you are Gelman showed up today.
Speaker 4: I showed out too.
Speaker 3: Let's do this again, please, this is so much fun. Thank you for popping off with us. Tim Palasola, Thank y'all.
Speaker 2: Tim Palazola is our bright side bestie, our showrunner, and an Emmy winning producer. We need to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. Stay with us. We're back, all right, simone. It's Friday. Let's get ready for the weekend. With What's in Your Cart presented by Walmart. This is our weekly segment where we have the opportunity to share a product that we are loving right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is a big milestone in my household. My son had his first ever day of Big Boys school.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's so cute. How was it?
Speaker 1: He handled it really well? Me not so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was doing a little bit of research about how to make this transition really seamless for him. Yeah, you know, because it's a lot of change, and one of the things I read is that you can thrum up some excitement around, you know, school supplies and making the process really fun.
Speaker 2: I remember being so excited about school supplies. Yes, certain folders, pencils, everything.
Speaker 3: So I went to Walmart and they had the most amazing back to school section, Like we stocked up water bottles, lunchboxes, and his favorite, his new holographic Teenage Mutant Ninja.
Speaker 1: Turtles backpack holographic?
Speaker 4: Was this for him or for you?
Speaker 1: This is for him?
Speaker 4: Are you sure?
Speaker 3: I can't really describe the excitement that I felt like when I was at the store buying it for him, because he wasn't there with me. I knew I was going to surprise him, and he was so elated just seeing this teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles backpack.
Speaker 1: So it was really cute.
Speaker 4: Okay, Simone, we need photos.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll get your photos.
Speaker 2: I'm not even going back to school and you're making me want to go check out the school supplies section.
Speaker 1: The school supplies section is lit, y'all.
Speaker 2: So that's it for today's show. Thanks to our partners at Walmart.
Speaker 3: On Monday, we're getting the cold hard data on how minorities are represented in media. In twenty twenty four, the President and CEO of the GENA. Davis Institute, Madeline Denono is here to share why the phrase if you can see it, you can be it is more true now than ever before.
Speaker 2: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Janice Yamoka, IT'SI Kin Thania and Amy Padulla.
Speaker 1: Our engineer is PJ. Shahamatt.
Speaker 2: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 3: Natalie Tullup and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 4: That's ro o b A.
Speaker 1: Y See you Monday. Keep looking on the bright side, y'all,