Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 3: You're not interested in art?
Speaker 2: Now? No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 3: We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Hey, film spotters, we have for you what turned out to be maybe our longest conversation on the show ever, maybe longer than The Tree of Life.
Speaker 1: I don't know it's possible. We'll have to do the math, check the archives, but certainly it's in the top five longest reviews.
Speaker 2: Fargo thirtieth anniversary Pantheon Project review spoilers. We both quite like the movie. That conversation coming to you Friday, and then the next picture show just tomorrow. As you're listening to this, possibly on Wednesday, the day these archive shows drop. On Thursday, you'll hear the next picture shows pairing of Supergirl and the Cones true grits. So we thought, let's just keep it going. Let's keep the Cone Brothers love going, and let's drop our conversation from twenty eighteen when we gave the sacred cow treatment to Miller's Crossing. Let's put that back in people's feeds. And you have to be excited about that, Josh, considering where you have Miller's Crossing ranked in your con Brother's list.
Speaker 1: Number one, I'm sure it comes up. It's been there for a while. It remains spoiler, still remains after Firego. The Firego did get a little bump, as we'll come up in our conversation. But yeah, so good to dig back into one of the formative movies for me in terms of starting to wrap my mind around how good a movie could be and how it is actually functionally good. So Miller's Crossing, Yeah, seminole title.
Speaker 2: Here is that conversation about nineteen nineties Miller's Crossing.
Speaker 3: Bernie ain't satisfied with the honest dollar he can make with the victory. He ain't satisfied with the business I'd do on his book. He is selling tips on how I begged, and I mean's part of the payoff. They should be riding more. My nip is riding on someone else's. So back we go to these questions friendship, character.
Speaker 2: Ethics.
Speaker 1: It was the clinking ice that got me at him. The year was nineteen ninety and I was a budding high school cinephile, just beginning to take movies.
Speaker 2: Serious, and an aspiring whiskey drinker.
Speaker 1: Not yet, I'd get there eventually. W and I were on a big date downtown to see a movie that was just too artzy to be playing in the suburbs, the Coen Brothers Prohibition era gangster drama Miller's Crossing, in which Gabriel Burns stars as Tom Reagan, right hand man to older crime boss Leo played by Albert Finney. The movie opens with the two of them in Leo's office, listening to the complaints of a lower ranked racketeer played by John Pallito. Specifically, the movie opens with a close up of Tom dropping ice into a glass, then tipping some of that whiskey. Something about the way the ice is shot, the way the camera slowly moves away from the glass, the way the sound design reminds us of that glass throughout the rest of the scene. I mean Tom says everything he needs to by the way he clinks those cubes, squirls them, or keeps them silent. I snapped to attention and realized what it was like to watch a movie in which the filmmakers were in masterful control of every element, so that image, movement, sound came together exactly the way they intended and for a particular effect. In short, Miller's Crossing was the first time I can remember realizing, oh, yeah, this is a real movie. We decided to revisit Miller's Crossing, which met an early demise in our film spotting Madness Tournament of nineteen nineties Films for a Sacred Cow review Adam and guess what. Oh yeah, this is still a real movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone really just stopped listening right now and rewatch Miller's Crossing.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea. I want to talk about so much, the performances, the Carter Burwell score, the hats. I do have a grand unified hat theory.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: But first I want to hear if there was a scene on this revisit that enthralled you like the movies opening enthralled me, or are you going to give me the high hat? And claim that on this revisit, Miller's Crossing struck you as a lesser Cohen Brothers movie. It sounds like you're not.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not going to be doing that. In fact, it has moved up my Coen Brothers ranking list. I love it three spots and could go higher over on letterbox.
Speaker 1: I have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if anyone cares in our show notes at filmspotting dot net, and maybe we'll get into that list a little bit more here in a moment. First though, I do want to point out Josh that that setup was wonderful, really nice job with the intro, but really you missed a great opportunity there. All you had to say was Adam, what's the rumpus they like? And as our regular film spotting listeners know, the people who subscribe to the pot podcasts and have been following along with our Vincent Manelli marathon, this is that bit of serendipity, that bit of coincidence spotting. We sometimes get crossover between films that have no other similarity to each other whatsoever. There's a rumpus reference in The Bat and the Beautiful. I missed that, now there is, It's right there. I'll have to look up what the exact line is. But having just seen Miller's Crossing, it definitely stuck with me. You were a more sophisticated film connoisseur, Well you are now you were then?
Speaker 1: Well kind of good? What ten months on it? Yeah, it must have been the ten.
Speaker 2: Months, but it took me longer to fully appreciate Miller's Crossing. In fact, it took me this viewing of Miller's Crossing to really love this film as much as you love it. And I do want to go back a little bit before I answer your direct question there. I've said before, I think on the show recently that this was my first Cone Brothers film, and that's not actually true, because I saw Raising Arizona fifty times as a kid in the eighties and loved the movie, but I had no awareness of it as a quote Coen Brothers film even in nineteen ninety one or maybe ninety two. Josh, by the time I saw this, I think you were a little bit ahead of me in becoming a cinephile. It was around the time of my senior year, the summer before and watching this movie on VHS. I definitely did not see Miller's Crossing in the theater in Iowa. Who knows if it even came to a theater in Iowa at that time, honestly, But I was just starting to get into film, and this movie, yes, was being presented to me as a film of note by directors of note. But I had no precedent for it whatsoever. I had no sense of their style, their preoccupations, all the things that we have come to most of us love and appreciate about the Coen Brothers. Had no sense of it then, of course, And I do remember being struck by some of the same sequences I was this time. I'll go to the two big stylistic set pieces, of course, Danny Boy, the failed hit on Leo. Just a beautiful dialogue, free dance, a tracking shot from the open window. You don't see the perpetrator come in. Just the sound the curtains blowing. You know someone's in the room. See the bodyguard killed, you just hear it. Then you see his body in the killer's legs walking away to the door. He opens it. Another killer with guns comes in, and then the smoke we see, but they don't as they go up the stairs, cross cutting with Finny in bed, just enjoying the music, smoking a cigar, his puff of smoke down to the smoke he smells coming through the floorboards, and the killer's walking and we only see their legs up the stairs. Perhaps an homage to the Godfather. I can't help but think about that first assassination attempt on Vito Corleone and the Godfather, where we just see their legs as they run past that fruit stand and shoot veto Finny escaping out the window, shooting the one killer through the window with a thousand bullets, just the spray. Perhaps there an homage to the spasm of death at the end of Bonnie and Clyde, a reference I would not have been able to make back when I saw this the first time, and then the gunfight with the car down the street. There are cinematic pyrotechnics and actual pyrotechnics in this sequence. Why wouldn't a budding teenage cinephile be blown away? And this middle age cinephile was just as impressed. Of course, the other one you have to point to with this movie, Look Into Your Heart, just as good the second time as it was the first time. Bernie Burnbaund played by the great John taturo a Coen Brothers regular being taken out to the title Miller's Crossing where he's going to be killed by Gabriel Burns Tom Reagan, and the tension of that, the precision of the movement, cutting between Tom his quiet terror as he moves still slowly with Bernie's desperate terror, both men anticipating that that scene is only going to end one way, with both of them being dead, and we as viewers, see no way out for either guy. It's intense. It's wonderful, Tom.
Speaker 4: And you can't do this. You don't bump guys. You're not like those animals back there? Is that right, Tom? The can't makers do this is the wrong situation. The can Mackers different people than we are. Wull im muscled dom. I never killed anybody. I used a little information, that's all. It's my name, just to get out. But somebody here's me.
Speaker 2: I play it. I don't just have to die. But hat do you think I do? I will say, even though I wasn't as sophisticated as you. Then that opening scene was another one that really caught my attention and frankly stunned me. And I think it's just partly the rhythm of the dialogue, the words, the phrasing that we have come to associate with the Coen Brothers. Even just ending on that line Leo has Finny says, take your flunky and dangle and just listening to a character not just ask for something, but frame it by expressing his worldview, which is what John Polito does. We've seen that in a lot of Coin Brothers. So good. I just died in September twenty sixteen, and he's He's the unsung hero, He's the MVP of this movie. And that's it. Josh. Is what really stunned me, I think, as a newcomer to the Coen Brothers, and really to sin him as a whole, was the performance John Polito's performance, that character, that sweaty, expressive gesturing. Johnny Casper is exactly the type of mannered, idiosyncratic character that we've seen now so many times in other Coen Brothers movies, including sometimes by John Polito himself. I know for sure he appears in Barton Fink. That felt so new and fresh to me at the time, and the way the con Brothers keep the camera focused on him for almost two minutes before anyone else in the scene speaks. And here's another potential homage to The Godfather. It's like the opening scene of that film where we have the character sitting across from Veto. It's a close up on him and he says, I believe in America. He expresses his worldview even as he's asking for a favor from someone who is capable of granting it. And in The Godfather, it starts on that close up and pulls back to a wider shot. Here it's the opposite. It actually starts wider on Polito and moves in. It gets closer as the scene goes on. But how animated he is contrasted with the stillness and the quiet of everyone else in that scene. Other than clinking the glass, Tom pretty much doesn't move except for the moment when he walks back from the room to the yeah, from the back over to Leo's side, and we'll get to that a bit later as well. By the end of this five minute plus scene, Polito is bent over yelling at Leo, and he's so worked up that it seems like he's about to have a heart attack for real, right there in front of us on screen. Again, it just felt so new and exciting. It's exciting now, and this time I did notice even other aspects of the scene that excited me even more. But I've talked enough, and I want to know what experience you had with that opening scene and with the film as a whole the second time around.
Speaker 3: Some gemmy fresh off the boat and you can kick me, but I'm too big for that. Now. I'm sick. I'm taking a scrap from you, Leo. I'm sick. I'm not turning this goddamn office the kitchen I was ass and I'm sick of.
Speaker 1: The opening scene is the one that I always think of, just because that memory is so indelible of experiencing it. Watching it again, though, it did strike me what Burne is doing yes with the ice, and how the Cohens are of course framing him, and you talked about it. I think the reason we see Polito originally in a wider shot is so that we also notice that shadow in the back and we connect it with the bar that we see and we think, oh, that's the guy who is making the drink. We are always, no matter how gripping Polito is and what he's saying, we are always aware of Tom Reagan and that scene, and that is the point, because he will turn out to be the main character and it's all about him, and I watch it again just last night, and what he's essentially doing is affirming what Johnny Casper is saying so without by using that ice. It's like a punctuation mark to his complaints. So he's letting Leo know that this guy's got a point, he's got a beef. You should listen to him. And then we get Leo's response, We get the close up shot of Tom's look of surprise because he thought everyone was on the same page. And that's the first domino that falls in an incredibly intricately plotted film noir narrative that just on its own is a pleasure to try to follow and put together, but also, you know, is rooted in this moral conundrum that's really at the heart of this film. It's not even a moral conundrum.
Speaker 2: That's for me.
Speaker 1: Miller's crossing is asking should we bother with moral conundrums? That's kind of the foundational question, and then it lets us watch its characters squirm and wrestle with that themselves. I think that's why Johnny Casper is going to have a heart attack because of he doesn't get the quote unquote morality he expects, and of course Tom Reagan wrestles with that as well. So let me just hit a couple of the other moments though that did jump out at me as much as that opening you mentioned the dialogue free elements. How about that silent movie moment of revealing Rug Daniels dead in the alley? Okay, no one says a thing. Instead we get a shot of the dog, shot of the boy we don't know what they're looking at, and then comes the money shot of Rugg Daniels with his wig askew, and we realize, oh, this is the guy they were just talking and all of that information is plotted, but also something that could be pulled from almost to Charlie Chaplin short, like a really grim right Charlie Chaplin short.
Speaker 2: There's a great joke in there too, right that it comes up multiple times throughout the film that Tom Reagan, the brains who's always piecing everything together based on evidence, is sure that he knows certain things about this whole scenario because of what happened to Rug Daniels, and he's trying to figure out what happened to the two pey is if that has significance. We're the only ones who know. We're the only ones who know that a kid just took it, and it has no grander cosmic point beyond it. But it's stymying Tom throughout the entire film.
Speaker 1: And there's some of that dark humor that they're is so well known for. I mentioned in The Bad and the Beautiful review earlier this week as part of our Manelli marathon, you talked about a dissolve you noticed in that film. How about this is that great dissolve of all time, one of the greats, at least from Tom alone in the woods at Miller's crossing, standing still in his overcoat. His hands are down, the gun is pointing down, and we just dissolved to the two henchmen who brought him there, leaning against the car back on the road, exact same spot, and man, that whole setting. It only appears twice in the film, although we kind of get it when Tom recounts in credits and during the credits, so maybe two significant scenes. But that music, the Carter Burwell score, and those pines and looking up from the ground to the sky as we slowly track through them. That's one of the transcendental moments in cinema for me, And by that I mean it's incredibly moving in a way I can't quite pinpoint. There's something ennobling about it, even though it's marking a march of death essentially, and having those two things held together in the same moment with nothing but music and camera movement is It's miraculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. There's something poetic obviously about the way it's constructed, but something poetic just in that gesture of looking up towards the sky trying to somehow make sense of this, which is really the point of this whole film. And I do want to go back, just briefly to the opening scene, though, Josh, because what really stood out for me this time, beyond all the great points you made, is the movement, exactly how Tom is moving from the beginning of the scene to the very end of the scene, even after John Pallito has exited. And I'll confess sometimes I'm a bad movie watcher. This was the first time I'd seen this movie since that time in ninety one or ninety two, and even after finishing it and loving the opening scene, if you had asked me again, how does Miller's Crossing open, I would have said, the first shot is John Pallito's face. I didn't remember the glass clinking, I didn't remember the drink. I just put so much weight it was so vivid in my mind Polito's face that I was sure that's how it started. I was also sure that's how it started because I thought it was this homage to The Godfather. They were riffing on that idea of opening with that favor being asked for, and I wanted to see just how closely they were paying tribute to it, if in fact they were. I also just wanted to watch the movie again because it was so much to him fun the second time here the first time on this revisit that I started the film again, and I was immediately struck by the brilliance of how they use the space. And it's through the entire film. There are seven examples I could point to of characters being at a distance or at a very close proximity to other characters in the scene that other filmmakers just don't frame people in that way, and it doesn't add to the psychology, and it doesn't add to the humor the way the Coen Brothers do it. But it starts right in that opening scene because it opens on that drink, as you've noted, the ice, the whiskey, the sound first appropriate, as you said, because there are so many instances of that throughout this film, and it's appropriate for its influences. This movie's influence is on screen and in fiction. Thinking about Dashal Hammond, how much of his influence you see and their work. The drink and we know this from any hard boiled film we've seen or read the material. That's just going to be a recurring motif. They're going to walk into any scene and pour a drink. So okay, you don't really think too much of it. But then when it does cut to Casper for the first time, you don't really know in the background who's holding that drink. It looks like it should be whoever that is. He's not in focus, but he's holding something and he seems to be by the bar. Okay, we're going to come to learn that it's Tom. He's on Polito's side of the table. He's not on Leo's side. You do see one guy, a sort of henchman, you assume, right, behind Polito a bodyguard of some kind. But what side is this guy, the mysterious guy in the back on, It's not clear yet. A minute into the scene, still completely out of focus the whole time, Tom, this mystery man, starts walking towards the camera along the side of the frame. Casper actually notices him, and the corner Brothers show in close up him noting him going by. It's significant, Yeah, he gives him a glance once that shadow crosses him. Once Leo speaks, breaking up Polito's dialogue, that's when we're finally introduced to Tom, and he's clearly entrenched on that side of the table, on that side of this potential dispute. As the movie then cuts back and forth a little bit, it's a two shot for three or four shots in a row. It's always pairing Leo and Tom together in this frame. And when we do see that Tom disagrees with him. He thinks his boss is making the wrong play. He tells him, and where does he do it? As soon as Polito finally exits along with the Dane, Tom goes and sits not even just right across from him at his desk. He goes and sits halfway across the room on a couch. He's halfway between where the scene began over on that side of the room, where he was for most of the scene, right behind Leo. Visually, he's backing him that entire time. Now he's not. Now he's right in the middle of it all, just as he's going to be for the rest of the movie. He's going to be stuck playing both sides. You're never sure completely where his loyalty lies, You're never sure what his angle is, You're never sure what his motivation is. And they emphasize that really subtly, just with where he's positioned in the frame right in that opening scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how he's trying to balance that deference to Leo with what he believes to be right and his own principles and Casper's legitimate argument. Okay, let's keep talking about space a little bit more, because it's also going to give me a chance to bring up Marcia gay harden as Verna, who is maybe the Domino before the Domino I mentioned that sets this emotion dating Leo essentially to protect her brother John Taturo, who you mentioned, who's ripping people off, ripping Johnny Casper off, yet she's with Leo so that Leo will offer protection even though Bernie's in the wrong. She is amazing in this movie.
Speaker 2: She's really good play unlikely fem fatale too exactly. I don't think that way.
Speaker 1: You would not ever expect that. But man does she chomp into this role and make it much more than a caricature of a type that could easily just be funny. And I think it all comes together in a scene that does also use space. Well, it's at the club where Tom they've had a spat. She and Tom for those who haven't seen it, are also involved with each other, and they've had a spat, and so he comes charging into the women's restaurant area, and what does he say to her? Something about see He claims his job is to intimidate helpless women, or I've been intimidating helpless women, and she says, find one and intimidator. Okay, great line, beautiful delivery. Things get violent. She hits him, he throws a glass at her, breaks a mirror. She just looks at him, and they hold her, give her that moment.
Speaker 3: I suppose you think you raised.
Speaker 1: And then the spacing comes where she saunters out and the camera leave him, leave him sticks withever except for that shot back to him. But at this point, because we've been following with her, it's a reverse tracking shot and he's getting smaller and small diminished in the frame being diminished. That is just a beautiful combination of performance and as you said, spacing. That is also one of the highlights of the film.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I will say about Marcia gay Harden that she plays enough notes here that I think we as viewers initially think we know everything we need to know about her based on the description of her that we get based on everything Tom says about her, And that really is Tom's key to this whole movie. We'll talk more about. It's how he's able to discern the true nature of people. But he may be right about Marcia gay Harden's verna, but she plays it complexly enough that we're not quite sure he's right. We think there might be more to her.
Speaker 1: I think there's way more for giving her credit for Well, that's a good point too. We mostly hear her describe Yeah, so we almost get more scenes as many scenes, let's say, of her being characterized by others than she gets herself. Yeah, and yet I think Marcia gay Harden holds her own and manages to turn a lot of these men around within the plot and for her own needs despite not getting all that time.
Speaker 2: So Miller's Crossing was number one on your Coen Brothers film's ranking. I'm guessing it stayed there after this read.
Speaker 1: I mean, and this is you know, this is a in a sense of pointless conversation because these are well, it's pointless because it's pointless, but also because with the Coen Brothers, we're talking very small degrees here. I'm only going to say I did watch True Grit within the last week, which is another one I need my number four Coen Brothers film, So there's another one that would have been in the running. Hail Caesar is fairly fresh in my mind. It was my top film of that year. I have it at number three, and then I have No Country at number two, which is the one I probably should revisit to really clamp down this list. But yeah, after this revisit, I'm definitely keeping it there at number one.
Speaker 2: So it is all about degrees, and this is totally arbitrary anyway, But our Coin Brother's top ten really doesn't look very similar at all, other than us both having No Country pretty high. You have it at number two. I have it at number one. I have that top tier, which for me is No Country, Fargo, then inside Lewin Davis, and then barely a drop off at all. Right, that's how it goes with that to tier two, Raising Arizona. I put it that high. I exalt Raising Arizona because I think it just might be, if not the funniest film of all time. It's in my top five comedies ever made, so it deserves to be there.
Speaker 1: At number four.
Speaker 2: Then I had Barton Fink Lebowski, a serious man, blood simple. Then Miller's Crossing. That's how far down I had it, And I'll get to the reasons why in a moment. But I had it then just ahead of True Grit at number ten. Now, because of how much I love Miller's Crossing watching it again, I've bumped it up to number six, and I could make a case for having it ahead of Raising Arizona and Barton Fink. It's just so hard because they're all so great. But Josh, for me, it was number nine because of how far removed I was from seeing it originally it wasn't fresh in my mind at all, but also because if I'm being totally honest, I remember walking away from it really really confused as woud as I was by the filmmaking. I know, I was lost watching the film. And what I realized watching it again is that what changed here in the what twenty seven years? Is that true? Since I've seen this movie?
Speaker 1: Let's just move on?
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Most of our listeners aren't even at all have to think that's how long it's been since I've seen Miller's Crossing. What's changed isn't just that I got older, that's for sure, that I got smarter, maybe maybe just a little, or that I've read more detective fiction or watch more detective movies, though that is true as well. I realized that the kne brothers have actually been responsible for teaching me how to watch movies, not only watch movies in general, but watch their movies. They've taught me a certain worldview that I can now understand the existential dilemmas that can found their characters consistently from movie to movie. Also just so happened to be those dilemmas that can found most of us in everyday life, and we could discuss the reasons why, if there are reasons why Tom ultimately does what he does, why he is playing all of these angles and all these people against each other and where he ends up. Is it because it was always driven by loyalty to Leo? Or is the reason reason itself in some way, Josh, and I wonder if this is getting at even what you were kind of hinting at in terms of the larger questions. This movie is posing the very thing that so many Cone characters to me seek and try to live by. Whether it's Ed Crane and the Man who Wasn't there, which I know you love more than me. I appreciate it, you really love it to Larry Gopnik and a serious man sheriff ed Tom Bell and No Country for Old Men and even Anton Shagur in No Country for Old Men is trying to establish order, or reestablish a perceived order that was lost that exists now in this chaotic world. And I can't say that that exploration began with Miller's Crossing, because there are elements of it undeniably in Raising Arizona and in Blood Simple, but I do think it's explored most emphatically and brilliantly to that point here in Miller's Crossing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the confusion element, you know, this movie does make sense if you follow all the threads. But as we've learned from the original film Noirs, that doesn't really matter, you know, Like it's the plot isn't the point. It's more the ideas that the movie is interested in and the mood that it sets. So it's to its credit that Miller's Crossing, which is very hard to follow, how this all comes together. It does come together. It does it absolutely, So they've done their work.
Speaker 2: Now I see that.
Speaker 1: But right, but on a first watch, when you're already a wash in all of the visual information and technique, it can be very difficult to put those pieces together. So completely understandable, but it does hold up. Now as to these larger questions you're talking about, this brings us to my hat theory and what I think. And I'm just talking about Tom here.
Speaker 2: So it's your next book, by the way, are you sure you want to get into it here?
Speaker 1: No, it's not going to go on that long. Don't worry. Tom's Hat. It represents the ethics, the principles, the standard that he's going to hold on to, no matter what the cost. Now I don't mean that he's an ethical character.
Speaker 2: No, there's no state he is right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but he has in his mind he has a standard that he holds to, and that's represented by his hat. It's the last grasp, is that physical manifestation. So if he loses his grip on it, this goes to what you were saying. It's anarchy. That's the word that John Polito uses. Okay, so here's some evidence of Tom's ethics. Again, ethics in quotes. He won't take Leo's offer to square his gambling debts. Okay, that would be the wrong thing to do, and he wants to pay settle itself. He tells Leo protecting Bernie is a bad play, partly because Bernie doesn't deserve the protection. Casper hasn't broken the rules. Bernie has reason. Yes, there's a reason there. The bartender at one point says to Tom, I admire a man of principle. Okay, now again, whatever that might mean. I love the line, the quick one, but it plays into this where Tom he comes awake. I think this is after he's been beat up by I forget who. He's been beat up by it at this point, but he just says, immediately, where's my hat? That's the first thing that comes to mind, because again he just has to have a grasp on that. Notice the scene after he confesses to Leo about him and Verna and Leo gives him, in his words, the kiss off. What does he do at the very end throws him his hat? He's earned it by telling the truth and the dream. Okay, this of course balances that hard line of giving us too much information, but I think has enough poeticism to work. He talks about this dream where his hat blew off, goes rolling down this trail, and Verna says, well, what did it change? Indu she's heard this dream before. He says, nothing, just stayed a hat and he didn't chase it. He says, nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat. So here's this idea, the silliness of Maraca.
Speaker 2: He gives principle, in this world, you hang on to it all the time.
Speaker 1: But what's the point of that in this world, this world of death and violence and angle planing and cheating and double crossing. So I really do think the movie is an open question ultimately over whether ethics are even worth it. I think you can make an argument that it comes down essentially that we're not going to say what ethics those are, but yeah, it's good to have those. I think that's something in the Carter Burwell score that's capturing that sensibility. But ultimately it's asking us that question, why bother with ethics in a world like this? And you know, and Bernie then is your sugar, he's your agent of chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really is here.
Speaker 1: And so that's Tom's hat. I don't know how this would play for everybody else's hats, Like you'd have to sit down and watch how they interact. But it's such a point of yes, emphasis by the Cohens.
Speaker 2: That emphasis is the right word.
Speaker 1: And the other thing with the Coens is they could just be screwing with us.
Speaker 2: They absolutely could at all times. And I'm with you, I'm with you completely. I'm buying all of it because we see Tom and we see the film overall very similarly. I think that hat has to be the manifestation of that principle, those ethics, whatever you want to call it. I come back to the word that comes up in the movie reason. In fact, one point where he's arguing with Leo, he says, no, you do things for a reason, you have to at least have something motivating that. And so then what's fascinating about Tom is we as viewers never know what his reason is, So we are just as he is, always playing detective, and that's what he is. He's not because he's really just the brains. He's not the bron behind Leo. But he is a confidant. He's not someone who's actually out there solving cases. But just like detectives in O their Coin Brothers films and in Dashal Hammett stories, he is constantly just piecing together clues.
Speaker 1: And those guys are always kind of in the middle. Right, They're not at the bottom of the pond, in the scum. They're not out of the water, right the law, They're swimming in the middle.
Speaker 2: That's it, right, the dark Knights of Sorts, that's really what they are. They are exactly in the middle. So then we because we don't know what's driving him, we don't know what his endgame is, So we're detectives too as viewers, just as he's watching every other character paying attention to everything they say and do, how they say it, what they have with them, the size and shape the things. He's drawing information from literally everything he can discern, and we as viewers then are picking that up from him as well. We're trying to decide what all those hat movements mean, why he keeps talking about the hat and everything else he does. What is his plan? Does he even know what his plan is? These are questions that hang over the whole film in I think a really compelling way. That's the suspense for us as viewers. We know everybody else's motivation. I think it's introduced and pretty clear. We could describe in about thirty seconds what everybody else in this film wants. What does Tom want? Well, I think it does get back to establishing or re establishing some kind of order, but that's a very ambiguous kind of ethereal thing and really isn't even completely clear until the end of the movie. But I do think that the real difference between him and the other characters, besides the fact that he's smarter alluded to all the time and we see that in action, but it's his understanding of human nature. Once he is able to discern who each character is, then he's got you. He can almost predict how you are going to act. That's the one thing amitst all this chaos is he's able to figure out what's driving you. And I think about the scene. There are many examples of this. But when Bernie comes to his house and he says, hello, Tom, what's the rumpus? How do you know it was me? And he says, you're the only one I know who'd knock and then break in. Your other friends wouldn't break in. He says, my other friends want to kill me, so they wouldn't have knocked. But he knows who Bernie is. Fundamentally, Yeah, he knows who he is, so he can figure out who that guy is in the room based on putting together a few clues. When he tells Leo it's a bad idea to marry Verna and says it's not worth going to war over, he says she's a grifter, she's just like her brother. Case after case throughout the film, he can almost perfectly predict what others will do because it's in their nature. They can't help themselves from being exactly who they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that's absolutely right, But I want to ask you, do you think he believes that about Verna? Because I think if there's a degree of bittersweetness to their relationship and why it does work as well as it does, is I trust there's something genuine there between them. And the reason is this is the only relationship the two of them are involved in where there's no practical benefit, right, there's risk involved. So there's something genuine attracting them to each other. That is not a play. There's not an anm okay. Now, eventually there comes to be one, especially for Verna, I think, but at least when we first meet them, the impression is there together because they want to be. They just want to be. No one else in this film has that bottom.
Speaker 2: Line as antagonistation as the relationship is at times, there is that connection. I agree with you, and in fact I was so buying that relationship that watching it this second time, I thought for sure we were going to come to realize that what his true endgame was. The one thing that he was always hanging on to wasn't his love for Leo, but in fact his love for Verna. For her, that was what was influencing every decision he's making at the end of the film. And we won't say too much here for people who haven't seen it, but at the end of the film, I don't think the brothers validate that at all. I don't think Tom's behavior and the actions he take do not in any way validate that reading of the films.
Speaker 1: And you know, she violates his principles in her ensuing actions as things start to fall apart again whatever, I want to identify those principles as because he's a shifty guy too, that standard she doesn't meet, and so's.
Speaker 2: And his principles surprise us and can found us throughout the film because we think, we think we want him to be the good guy. We want him to be the good guy, and the Coen Brothers know that, and so we are accepting of the idea that he's not a killer. Well, he isn't a killer, really. He clearly has a distaste for it. He's not particularly good at it. There's that great clumsy scene where he tries to mimic without knowing he's mimicking it, but tries to mimic the grace of Leo in a scene where he tries to beat a killer down the stairs and take them by surprise, it doesn't happen that way for him, but there is a moment where we see that to act on his principles, if he is forced to act on his principles, he's willing to make that decision that the same way someone like Anton Schagur does on a much grander level.
Speaker 1: And that really serify that level. Yeah, that really stuck out to me this time when he does take Bernie to Miller's crossing. And what I forget maybe it's form of denial as well, is that as far as he knew, he was gonna shoot him, right, I mean, if he didn't know that he was going to be let alone to walk Bernie into the woods where the two henchmen couldn't see them, I don't know that that was his choice, that was his game.
Speaker 2: That's one of the great questions here, right.
Speaker 1: It's like he was given these cars to deal with and he lets Bernie go, so we can kind of now feel he's maybe a good guy. But if those two henchmen had been right next to him, he probably would have shot him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might have. It's one of those great questions, one of those great mysteries I think surrounding this great film, Miller's Crossing, is available to rent or buy on DVD and stream on most platforms. If you have seen the movie and agree or disagree with our thoughts, we'd love to hear from you feedback at film spotting dot net. If you're a film Spotting Family member, you can access discussions like that one at your fingertips whenever you would like, plus a weekly newsletter, early access to events, and more. Look forward again to that conversation about Fargo coming to your feed this Friday. If you would like more information about the family, you can get that at Filmspotting Family dot com. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Good Bye,