Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: If you haven't been paying attention, this guy has established himself as one of the premier NFL insiders for Fox Sports. He's the host of the Weekly Football show on Instagram. Why is Draymond Green talking about football with Jordan Schultz? I love that name every Thursday at seven thirty pm Eastern Time. Jordan. Always great to see you. Appreciate you coming on the show greatly. I gotta start with this man. This trade permission stuff. I don't really remember this being that big of a deal. It feels like this offseason the Rams started with Matthew Stafford. I've honestly lost track at this point of how many guys have been given permission to seek a trade? What is going on here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's out of control.
Speaker 4: It's not just given permission ross it's to seek a trade. It's given permission to explore a trade or are there other teams interested in?
Speaker 3: What it become is the new in vogue thing to do.
Speaker 4: And what you'll notice is a lot of the players that would otherwise be released are now being given permission to seek a trade or talk to other teams. And it's funny because just getting back from Indy last week, that was one of the topics that continue to come up with clubs, not something that they like. Very annoyed that they can't just flat out release a guy when they know very honestly and openly that the best they're gonna get for someone might be a seventh round pick. They would rather just flat out release the dude, give him the opportunity to go sign elsewhere and then be done with them. But given the circumstances of the cap, the fact that free agency is upon us, guys want as many options as possible, and as a result of it, you're seeing this permission to seek a trade, and it's really become out of control.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: All Right, So Stafford ended up going back to the RAMS, and it never really seem like he was gonna leave. I never really thought he was gonna leave. I know, maybe you'll tell me and other people will say it was close to happening, but I just didn't for a lot of reasons. I didn't think it made sense for the RAM, and I think it made sense for Stafford. What about some of these more well known guys like DK Metcalf Trey Hendrickson. It sounds like people think those guys are are much more likely to be on new teams.
Speaker 4: Okay, so in terms of Metcalf, there are I would say I would put him being traded a higher percentage than Trey Henderson and I'll start, and the reason is because I think both Seattle and Metcalf know that this has been brewing for quite some time.
Speaker 3: It actually goes back to last year.
Speaker 4: And it's not that Metcalf isn't happy, but I think both sides are looking for a fresh start, and you know, DK is gonna fetch a significant price. I don't know if it's gonna be a one. I don't know if it's gonna be a two and a four. I don't believe it's gonna be a one and a three. But the problem is for both him Hendrickson, is that because these guys are bringing in players, the team trading for them not only has to give up the asset or assets draft capital to get the player, they then have to pay the player. And both of these guys are seeking significant contract extensions. In Metcalf's case, just turned twenty eight. Hendrickson is thirty. Obviously in all Pro I think Metcalf gets traded first. I'm not sure if Hendrickson gets traded. I talked about the Chargers being in on DK. I've heard the Raiders Packers among many other clubs, and Hendrickson's case, Ross, I would say that you have to get owner Mike Brown on board. These organizations are run significantly differently. In Seattle you have John Schneider, who really has full autonomy from the owner Jody Allen. In Cincinnati you have Mike Brown, who he in essence, is running the show. Duke Tobin's the GM, but he has nowhere near the type of autonomy at Schneider has in Seattle. So if you're asking me about both of those guys, I'd say there's a better chance of seeing DK get traded, and I would imagine even if both of them ultimately get dealt that Metcalf happens first.
Speaker 2: Talking with NFL insider Jordan Schultz does a terrific job for Fox Sports. The Hendrick Singh thing is very interesting, yeah, Jordan, because it felt like after the Max Crosby contract came out, it kind of felt like the Bengals were throwing in the towel. I do not envision them giving him that type of contract. So when you say you think there's a better chance DK gets traded, do you think that the Bengals might try to play hardball with Hendrickson and making out this last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have been.
Speaker 4: In fact, if you actually trace Hendrickson back the last year he was he already requested a trade and went nowhere. And so they have been meeting and delegating over the past few weeks.
Speaker 3: And he was in Cincinnati yesterday.
Speaker 4: He went to the facility, met with the entire organization, met with the Bengals brass and basically talked through it because he got an offer that was significantly below market value two weeks ago. And I think what happened was Cincinnati really had to talk Hendrickson off a ledge, hoping that he wouldn't request the trade, and then they met yesterday seeing if they could find Tomin Brown. They ultimately didn't. You know, he's been a staple within that organization. You know, he's a first team All Pro. But they also have Jamar Chase and t Higgins to deal with, and they still want to extend Mike Caseki to tiede end and obviously Burrow wants all these guys back, but you can't pay everyone. And if you're the Bengals, this is not an organization flus with with gas Ross, So Hendrickson I believe would sign somewhere in the midst and somewhere in the middle of three years eighty five to ninety. I know he would love one hundred. It's not realistic. Cincinnati, I'll'll say, without giving you specific numbers, is nowhere near that number. In fact, I'll give you this, I don't believe Cincinnati has come over this seventy million dollar threshold. So that tells you how far away they are. And as a result, you have to make a decision. If you're the Bengals, Ross, do you Trey Trey Hendrickson or do you simply try to find a number and go up where Really you don't want to do that, knowing again that you had the receivers to deal with.
Speaker 2: Right, as I said earlier in the show, Jordan, I have no sympathy. They have nobody to blame but themselves. They really worked on any of these deals over the last couple of years and gotten ahead of this thing, totally gotten them done. It's interesting, though, that you mentioned Hendrickson meeting with the entire Bengals organization because there was news out this morning that Miles Garrett requested a meeting with Brown's owner Jimmy Haslam and he declined to meet with Garrett. What if anything, do you know about that or even just the Miles Garrett situation, Jordan.
Speaker 4: Well, you talked about the Bengals putting themselves in a bad position. They should have taken care of Jamar Chase when they had the chance. They should have addressed Pray Henderson last year. The Browns are in a similar book with owner Jimmy has them and in all their respect to him, I don't know how you look at Miles Garrett and you treat him this way. This is, without question, the face of the franchise, and he has been for the better part of the last decade. He's arguably the best defensive player in football the year in and year out, and for you to refuse to meet with the guy is insane.
Speaker 3: It really is. I have no understanding of it.
Speaker 4: I have no sympathy for the Browns because, like the Bengals, they have put themselves in this position. If you're Miles Garrett, you obviously have made a lot of money, and you want to win, and he has made it abundantly clear to us Ross that he does not believe that can happen with the Browns. So if you're the Browns, if you fast forward the situation, what are you going to accomplish by not meeting.
Speaker 3: With the guy?
Speaker 4: We're going into free agency next week, we're in March. It's gonna get worse and worse and worse if you don't handle this now. And it's a problem that's been festering for quite some time. So I don't get it at all. And if Miles Garrett wants a meeting, you take the meeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of things I don't get, can you explain to me why the NFL still has this quote unquote. I guess they call it now the negotiating period. For a while there, we were calling it the legal tamp tamp period. It starts Monday, but then the official league year doesn't start till Wednesday at four pm. Do you understand the logic or reasoning there?
Speaker 4: Jordan, not particularly Ross's. But I was not ever the greatest student. You know, I always give you problems. You know, you're the Ivy League guy. I went to the fake Ivory League school Occidental. I was not the best student. I don't understand it, but I'll tell you this, A lot of the deals that you're going to see come together on Wednesday and Thursday have already been set by the time we're there. In other words, Monday and Tuesday and really this week, over the weekend and going back to the combine is when a lot of the deals get set in place.
Speaker 3: And then basically what happens is.
Speaker 4: A lot of players will try and shop around, they'll try to make sure this is the best team number they can get, but essentially those deals in many ways are done by Wednesday. So no, I don't understand it, but I'm not the right I'm not the right guy, asked the.
Speaker 2: Well so, and I've also seen you know, reports out there, Jordan, and you might have had a similar article about guys that are going to make more money than people expect, and you'll be surprised. That just tells me that they already know how much they're going to be getting me. How many of these deals are more or less already done. How many deals do you think there's a pretty good idea people know who's going where, for what money, But they're just they can't obviously say anything about it yet.
Speaker 3: Right now or come Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Right now, and then eat it over the weekend.
Speaker 4: Monday, I'd say probably a quarter of the deals somewhere over the weekend, and by Monday, I'd say a third to half of the deals. Now, obviously there's a second and third waves of free agency, the one year deals that are much smaller, but in terms of the you know, big contracts, the multi year extensions, all of that will will will be set in stone or many months of that will be set in stone by Monday and Tuesday. Because what happens is a lot of the players and agents by this time have already met with everybody in Indianapolis, the Asians half, so they have a really good understanding of the market, not only with the teams, but.
Speaker 3: The type of money.
Speaker 4: And then you have a lot of players that are entering that first contract, right so they're twenty five or twenty six or second contract. I could say, they want that three year deal so that they can hit it again by the time they're twenty eight or twenty nine. And so what you're gonna see is a lot of those three year deals the teams want the four year deal so they can get the control. And I just we talked about Trey Henderson. He wants the three year deal. Right, That's that's what's in vogue for many players at agents. So to answer your question again, I would say, right now you probably have a quarter of them.
Speaker 3: Fast forward to the weekend Monday, probably over a third.
Speaker 2: What about Sam Darnold, what do you hearing thinking in terms of.
Speaker 3: He's gonna do well? Okay, yeah, I think he's gonna do well.
Speaker 4: I think he's gonna We just said, would some guy surprise some people? I think Donald's gonna surprise some people. Because ross, if you're Sam Donald, you have to make the decision. Do I go back to Minnesota and stay with Kevin O'Connell, who's resurrected my career, or do I look elsewhere and maybe fetch a little bit more money, knowing that it might not be as good a situation.
Speaker 3: Let's say, for example, the Raiders, right, the Raiders need a quarterback.
Speaker 4: They do not have a very good roster, but they do have a new head coach, and you do have the USC connection. I know Pete Carroll likes Sam Donald. Does that mean he's gonna sign there, of course not, but I think he's gonna make a significant amount of money. And I don't know if that's in the mid to high thirties or low forties, but he will do very well in surprise some people there are you have the cap that's gone up again that will help him. And then you have the fact that A this is not a particularly strong quarterback market and b this is not a quarterback class coming out, so that will help Sam Darnald.
Speaker 2: Most likely teams there two or three teams that maybe jump out for Sam Darnold.
Speaker 4: I would say with Donald, I mean, the Vikings will love him back. They're not gonna be able to pay him maybe exactly what he wanted. I know he loves it there. I know his wife loves it there, and they'd had a great experience. Look at the Raiders, yep. I would say those two to me make the most sense. And then you have to wonder if a team like Pittsburgh gets frisky. You know, Pittsburgh could easily bring back Justin Fields on a one year, ten million dollar deal, or do they decide, you know what, we want to go a little bit more and pursue someone like a Sam Darnold or maybe in Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I'm not reporting that.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying the Steelers clearly believe they're a quarterback away. How do I know that they were very much in on Matthew Stafford. And you don't go after a guy like Matthew Stafford or Sam Darnold for that matter, Ross unless you believe your roster is good enough to win.
Speaker 2: Right now, we still don't know. Oh, by the way, what Stafford's new contract is, do we That still hasn't been reported. I'm dying to know how much less he took to stay in LA because I know people would have given him a lot of money elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we don't know the exact numbers. What we do know, and I reported this was he took a lot less to stay. You know, there was there were talks that he would have commanded a hundred over two he's made he'll have made by this come by the time this contract's out, or or by the time this contract is over, he'll have made well over three hundred or around three hundred million dollars in his career. So clearly it wasn't just about the money. And I had thought for about a day and a half that there was a real chance that the Raiders were going to land him.
Speaker 3: They desperately wanted him. Tom Brady loved him.
Speaker 4: But what it came down to was Stafford met with Sean McVay for quite some time six thirty seven in the morning, and they were able to find that common ground. And you you kind of knew once they met and were face to face those two that it was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So yes, he took less, but he knows.
Speaker 4: That they were a play away from beating the Eagles and going on in the playoffs. That roster is really good. It's a terrific young defense, and I big Stafford ultimately decided that his best bet was staying in LA with arguably the best offensive coaching football.
Speaker 2: Check him out on social media. He's at Schultz Underscore Report on Twitter. That's where I follow him, and certainly check out his show, Why is Draymond Green Talking about football? With Jordan Schultz? I would like to have seen Draymond play tight end or d end Actually, can.
Speaker 3: I give you a funny story about that he.
Speaker 2: Did right for a game or something?
Speaker 3: Or he did you a game?
Speaker 4: He did a spring game of Michigan State his freshman year, and I said to him, you know, you could have easily been a tight end.
Speaker 3: I'm picking maybe an edge rusher. You got good Ben, good dip.
Speaker 4: And he said to me, you know what, the second someone plus me with the two hands, I was out and Ross I think as an off alive and you can respect that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it. Hey, I would love to have played football against Draymond Green and try to light them up. That's what makes it fun. Jordan, thanks so much for the time. Man, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, guys, think youre outstanding.
Speaker 2: Outstanding job by Jordan Schultz there in the final hour, we've got John Rothstein, who's as good as there is when it comes to college hoops. Gonna kind of be a primer for us to get us all ready for college basketball. Here in March. We'll have who I called this civilian goat greatest of all time, Greg Cosel from NFL Films next hour as well. But when we come back best what is this pably best week in sports? Best week in sports for us? Who had the best week in sport?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: What team? Concept?
Speaker 2: Whatever you want? Buddy concept? Yeah? Interesting? Forty two miss Past the Hours, Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search fsart Listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and Together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 5: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 6: So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most.
Speaker 2: Interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Let's get to John Rothstein. He's a CBS Sports college basketball insider. By the way, when I first got in the media two thousand and seven, okay, I was still on injured reserve with the Washington football team. The had a different name back then. I did a TV show with John Rothstein. At times, I don't even remember the name of the show. John, do you remember this name of the show? Seth was the producer. It was like we would go around the horn kind of you were in New York. I was indifferent. Do you remember that show?
Speaker 6: I think it was out of line on CNA or out of boundary.
Speaker 2: Out of bounds, out of bounds.
Speaker 6: Yes, I remember it vividly. Ross. Great to be with you this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you are killing it. It's been fun to follow your career. It's funny. You probably hear this a lot, John, I know you're fully invested in it. I don't follow college hoops hardly at all until right now and now this weekend and this week I will root for like my wife and sister in law went to Bucknell, right I went to Princeton. I will root for them like you wouldn't believe. I think it's the coolest part of maybe any sport is rooting for your alma mater or for smaller schools to have their chance at the dance. Well.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing ross that's become so interesting because of the changing landscape in college basketball. There's less player retention, especially at the mid major level. So we are going to enter all of these conference tournaments here over the next week, and we are going to see different teams seeded a certain way entering these conference tournaments. Seeds had never been more meaningless in these obvious conference tournaments than they are right now because of the lack of player attention. And another thing you have to remember last year, only twelve teams out of the thirty two conferences that won their respective regular seasons went on automatic qualifiers to the NCAA Tournament by winning their conference tournament. Russ Ducker, this is March.
Speaker 2: Wow. One third actually won their conference tournament. So this is self serving, okay, but I got to ask you about Princeton quick all right. My understanding is that they have like the two best players in the IVY League. They have Alec Pierce, the colt receiver, his younger brother Kayden, and they have the point guard from Toronto that put his name into the NBA draft last year. I think his name Xavian Lee. I just looked John. We're in fourth place in the IVY League. We're like seven and six. I've been working, I've been practicing every day for this. Why are we not good?
Speaker 6: Well? Princeton in a lot of ways is kind of the polar opposite of what Princeton went through last year. Last year, Princeton was a heavy favor going to the Ivy League tournament and was upset in that tournament as the team that everybody thought was going to be one of the best mid majors in the country. And now you look at what's happened to Princeton. Yes, there's Zaving Lee, lest there's Caden Pierce, but look at some of the ancillary players. Zach Martini no longer on Princeton from a year ago. He's on Rutgers. Because we have to remember right now that these players still have the ability to move and go to other places. Matt Aloco, another player who was on that Princeton team from a year ago that was upset in the Ivy League tournament, went and played for Notre Dame. So maybe we'll see if Princeton can reverse course. But here's one thing I want to point out, and I know that people, especially at the mid major level, one who celebrate regular season titles, nobody remembers in college basketball what people do during the regular season. You are judged by what you do in the NCAA tournament. And this is why what we're going to embark on right now over the next three and a half four weeks is the greatest postseason that we have in sports. We spend days, we spend weeks. We spent months talking about the bubble from February first until now. We have to remember ross that last year there were five different teams that stole bids during their respective conference tournaments. Now, what is a bid stealer. A bid stealer is a team that was not projected to make the NCAA tournament who then wins its conference tournament and then earns a bid to March Madness. Last year, we had Duquane out of the Atlantic ten. We obviously had UAB out of the AAC NC state out of the ACC won the ACC Tournament five games in five days and then went on to go to the Final four under Kevin Keats. New Mexico stole a bid out of the Mountain West, and then Oregon did the same out of the PAC twelve. That was five teams that were not projected to be into the NCAA tournament who then found a way to get to March Madness.
Speaker 2: It is awesome talking with John Rothstein. As you can tell, he is the best college basketball insidary. Does it for CBS Sports company I work for as well. You know you kind of hit on this, John, but I want to expound upon it a little bit. What I know, it's all the above, But what aspect of it do you think makes it so popular? Is it the fact that it's brackets, like people just I don't know what is about humans we love like my like beer punk tournament bracket like whatever it is, Like I love brackets, okay. And also the betting. I mean people bet a lot on March mad and the and then it's the underdog. It's the whole thing. If you kind of had to rank the reasons for March Madness popularity. Where would you stack them up.
Speaker 6: It's a one game tournament. It is not obviously a best of seven series. So the fact that we have this game that obviously is decided by a sixty eighteen bracket with sixty seven games, if you have one bad half, if you have one bad game, every single thing can changed. And then there is still the opportunity for, with everything that's going on in college sports, to have the most unexpected and unpredictable results. And you know, I remember two years ago. You know, I've been fortunate enough to work the first four for US in Dayton. I had the pleasure of, you know, covering Fairley Dickinson two years ago. In twenty twenty three. Fairley Dickinson two years ago was not good enough to win the Northeast Conference tournament. Merrimack won the Northeast Conference tournament, but because of transitional rule to Division one, Merrimack was not eligible for the NCAA tournament. So Fairly Dickinson lost in the finals of its conference tournament, but it got the automatic qualifier because Merrimack was ineligible. Fairly Dickinson then goes on to the first four, beats Texas Southern in the first four, and then gets a matchup with Duke who had the National Player of the Year in Zach Edy and won the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles, and still Fairleigh Dickinson was able then to pull off the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament by beating Purdue. This is the stuff that is in store. And again, if you're not in a situation where you're following college basketball from November first until now, you're pretty much admitting that you hate fun.
Speaker 2: All right, So I want to ask you about Saint John's because they've won the Big East for the first time in forty years. I know you've talked about him a lot. I'm sure. Yeah. So is this obviously Patino's their coach? Is this a great coaching job? Or is this John? Have we got to a point where some Saint John's alums made a decision and they bought a really good team. I don't follow it, right, So you explain to me how Saint John's seemingly came out of nowhere to get this good.
Speaker 6: Saint John's has been a barren program for twenty five years. Saint John's has not won an ncublea tournament game since two thousand. How long ago is that Jay Wright was the head coach in Halstra. But with all that said, Saint John's this year was able to be in a situation because it hired a Hall of fame coach, a can't miss coach, and Rick Patino, and it put together a roster now that is, you know, twenty six and four heading into tomorrow's game against Marquette, that's the best in the Big East. It's the first regular season title outright for Saint John's in the Big East that's been won by the Red Storm since the eighty four to eighty five season, which was the year that Saint John's went to the Final Four with Luke carnasecond Chris Malwand. Look, one of the things that we've seen right now in this new landscape of college sports is the playing field is very level. So a program like Saint Johns that has the infrastructure in place to put together a strong roster can now compete with the Dukes, the Kansases, and the Kentucky's. And then conversely, some of the blue blood programs now might be falling back to the pack a little bit. Kansas will enter it's Big Twelve finale in the regular season tomorrow against Arizona, and in the last two years, Kansas is only a combined twenty and seventeen in Big twelve regular season games. Remember, this was a program that from twenty thirteen to twenty eighteen, under Bill's self want at least to share excuse me, from twenty three or so to twenty eighteen, under Bill self want at least to share almost every Big twelve regular season title. Remember, Ross, it's not anarchy, it's just college basketball.
Speaker 2: I love his closing line of every of every answer. All right, tell me about Cooper Flag. Like, for people that haven't watched him a lot, he's I think a lot of people would probably say he's the name in college basketball that they recognize, that they know, but a lot of people still haven't really watched him that much. Is there any weakness to his game? Is there an NBA guy that you compare him to that people can kind of get that visual on their head.
Speaker 6: You know, Cooper Flag's like a cheet code. He's like playing Madden when you're a kid and putting it on the easiest possible level, because that's how effortless he makes the game look. He's been ever been as good as advertised. I think there's a little bit of Andre Carolenko in his game, but he's got so much polish on the offensive side of the floor. But Duke, without question has the best roster in the sport. I think one of the things that we've all been disappointed about, and it's not Duke's fault, is this is the worst acc that we have seen in our lifetime. Unless there is a big stealer at the ACC tournament, this league is likely to get only three of its eighteen teams in the NCAA tournament. That is just one sixth of the conference. The ac SEA since twenty seventeen has lost the following coaches, Rick Bettino, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Jim Laernega, Buzz Williams, Mike Bray and Leonard Hamilton will lead after this year. So it has been a major, major transition for a conference that was the sport's most fable for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is absolutely wild. You gotta check John out. He does a terrific job throughout the tournament. If you want to know what's going on with college basketball, follow John Rothstein on every platform. Does a terrific job as the college basketball insider for CBS Sports. That was perfect. Thank you so much, John.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Ross were sleeping.
Speaker 1: May be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love talking with this guy every week on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. I call him this civilian goat because I think he is the best film watcher and film breakdowner, if that's a word of anybody that did not play or coach in the NFL. He's been doing, He's doing a lot longer than a lot of people have been doing. What they've been doing forty five plus years. He is the great. Greg Coasel joins me typically Thursdays on the Ross Tucker Podcast. But we got to talk quarterbacks because there's a bunch of teams that need them. Greg, always great to talk with you. We're doing it twice this week, not just once. Appreciate the time. I guess let's start with the college guys, because there's gonna be at least one, maybe more NFL teams that find their starting quarterback via the draft. And so, is there a guy that was a clear number one when you broke down shardor Sanders and war and all these guys who kind of jumped out to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think just before I give you that person, and people who maybe listen to us and to listen to me know that I believe it's cam Ward. But I think the important point to remember is quarterbacks have different traits and different attributes and different characteristics. That doesn't mean that they can't play in the league. It just means that the variables that come into play, the different variables that come into play ross And you know this having played in the league. Now you start getting into things like team scheme around them, coaching. You know, there's so many factors involved that just because a quarterback might not be high on my list or might not be number one, doesn't mean he can't play in the league. It's just you have to understand what their traits and attributes are and what that means when you project them. So I thought when I watched cam Ward, I thought that he was the most physically gifted of the quarterbacks in this draft, that he had high level traits in order to, you know, ideally become a good player in the league. He's got a live arm, he's got a playmaking dimension to his game. Obviously he's got some things he has to clean up. I actually watched him speak at the podium at the combine and he said, quite clearly, which is true, that there were times he held the ball too long and that's some sacks are on him, and that's something he has to clean up. And I think that's another thing that people have to realize is that none of these quarterbacks enter the league as a finished product, and there's things that have to be coached and develop and that takes time, and those things can show up in the NFL and it doesn't mean that they're going to be bad players. So there's so many factors involved. But I thought clearly him war to me, was a defined number one quarterback prospect in this draft class.
Speaker 2: And so, okay, and we know he's gonna get drafted. Whar he's gonna get drafted. But when you look at him, Greg, did you think like number one pick that quarterba.
Speaker 7: I started to feel that way the more I watched him yes, and again it may or may not happen. You know, when you hear the Tennessee Titans brass talk, you kind of get this sense they hold a number one pick that they'd like to get more players because their roster is kind of depleted. So I don't know. Again, you never know if teams want want to trade up. We won't know that, you know, probably for a while. But I started to feel the more I watched Ward, and I just want people to understand that I watched him last summer seven eight games at Washington State. I think I watched nine games this year at the University of Miami. And the more I watched him, you know, as I said, there are definitely things that need to be cleaned up. There's no question. There's a little bit of a looseness and lack of discipline at times to his game that must be coached hard. But he can work the pocket, he can make progression throws, he can make outstanding outside of structured throws, which were prevalent throughout his tape. So I came to believe that, yes, he could be that kind of prospect.
Speaker 2: All right, some of these other guys, Greg, you know, shardor Sanders and Jackson Dart. Just watching the video, which is what you do, was there, who would you say was the next most impressive guy on video?
Speaker 7: I mean, if you're just going by tape, and again I'm not going to sit here and say this is where guys are going to get drafted, but I would say, just watching tape, I came away really impressed with Tyler Shuck out of He played for three teams in his college career, but he ended up this year at Louisville. It was the first year that he truly played as a full time starter and played pretty much all the games. I mean he was in. He came out of Arizona. It seems like he came out twenty years ago as one of the top rated quarterbacks in the country. But again, he's a very intriguing player because of his age, which by the way, most gms don't view that as a problem. It's more the injury history. But you know, I thought that he did a lot of the little things really well. Ball security. Always kept both hands on the ball when forced to move out of the pocket, whether climbing or escaping. Laterally, he has a very easy delivery. He worked from a firm base. He could sit on his back foot with bodies around him and drive the football. Yet he could throw with pace and touch, he could layer throws. He had enough movement that he's not a playmaker, but he had enough movement where he's not a statue. I thought his traits were strong, and I thought his tape was really really good. Now, again, I don't know where he's going to get drafted. I'm sure he's going to be polarizing in draft rooms. I'm sure there's some people listening right now that probably think, oh, he's you know, he's a third round player and he's not gonna make it. You know, we don't know the answer to these questions. But the tape was very good. And you know what, he's six' five and he's two twenty five and as you Know ross having played in this, league that's a. Trait there's a big difference between being six' one and six five when you're. A quarterback talking.
Speaker 2: With The great Greg co CELL From nfl, films here you can check him out on social Media at Greg CO cell's i think a lot of People listening greg On The fox sports radio affiliates are Watching on peacock are probably surprised that the second most impressive quarterback to you Was Not. Shador sanders so what did you see when you Broke down shador, Sanders tape since there's obviously the subject of a lot, of conversation.
Speaker 7: And again his tape. Not bad, you know that's the issue, You face ross as you, know this you talk every, single day and you know the way People Respond what i'm about to say is not a knock at All In. SHADOR sanders i just think you need to understand what kind of quarterback, he is and by, the way you can, be very very good in. The league he's, an easy natural thrower to. The football he does not have higher level arm strength and You can that's a discussion that people have all the time about the relative merits of arm strength IN. The nfl some believe, it's important some believe it's it's not one of the most. Important traits that's a discussion people have all the time when they. Evaluate quarterbacks, you know just as a, quick ASIDE when i hear the phrase he can make all, the throws that tells me he can't make all. The Throws and i'm Talking. About shador i'm talking ABOUT when i hear that about quarterbacks, in general because why are we. Saying that, you know so you know a quarterback could make all, the throws then why are we, even having, you know. Saying that, but anyway getting Back, TO shador I think chador is much more of a ball distributor and executor of. An offense that's the style of quarter. He is and by, the way you can be a really good quarterback IN the nfl playing. THAT way, i think As with WARD that i mentioned a few things that need to be, cleaned up there's a few Things with shador that need to be. Cleaned up, number one he has a tendency to hold the ball with one hand when he. Feels pressure you know as WELL as. I do that has to be cleaned up IN, the nfl and that'll be one of the first things that's, cleaned up because you cannot give the ball away IN. The nfl and second, of all he has a tendency to. Retreat backwards you cannot retreat backwards IN. The nfl but you're dealing with a guy that at his best. Is rhythmic he's, a distributor he's an easy thrower for the. Most part his ball placement is. Pretty precise there's a lot, to LIKE but i think he's a, ball distributor, YOU know i think in, some ways, YOU know i THOUGHT.
Speaker 3: OF.
Speaker 7: C j stroud when he came Out Of. OHIO state I thought stroud was a better prospect in a number. Of ways but they're both sort of at their core. Pocket quarterbacks and, YOU know I think sam not at the Level of Stroud when stroud, came out but he's that kind of player.
Speaker 2: Stylistically interesting Talking With, GREG cosa i want To transition greg to the veteran quarterbacks because we've got free agency. Next, week yeah and there are GUYS that i think you're gonna, Find Jobs, Sam Donald, daniel Jones, Justin Fields. Aaron rodgers let's Start with donald because there still seems to be some debate as to whether or not he's the guy he was in the first sixteen games, last year or he's the guy that he was in the last. Two games what do you think any team that Would sign donald will be getting?
Speaker 7: With, HIM well i think the discussion probably revolves around whether he's a scheme specific player or whether you can put him in any scheme and, be effective because don't forget, you know the year Prior, to minnesota he was a backup quarterback For, the niners and then he Went to Minnesota with, kevin O'Connell who pretty much everybody understands is a really good pass. Game schemer the schematics of that offense really, present clean defined throws for the quarterback at the intermediate and. Deeper levels and that's a rarity IN the nfl, these days with so many short balls, being Thrown and donald was phenomenal. At that here's the statistic that blew. Me away and he led the league in passes that went more than twenty yards in the air ross from the line. Of scrimmage think, about that more than twenty yards in the air from the line. Of scrimmage donald completed fifty seven percent of his passes that led. The league, By contrast mahomes completed twenty six percent of. His Passes and i'm Not suggesting donald's a better Quarterback. Than mahomes That's.
Speaker 2: Not he already. Said it it's on. Social, media, yeah yeah there.
Speaker 7: You, go so, YOU know, i MEAN so i think that that's the Discussion with donald as to whether you could, sign him plug him into any system and he would, be successful or whether what he did a year ago was very foundationally a product of Working with. Kevin O'Connell and that's probably one of those things that there's no it's not a. Mathematical equation no one knows the answer to, that specifically AND that i don't get into, the money but that will probably dictate what teams. Offer him if people felt you could put him in any system ross and he'd, be great he'd probably be in the forty five to fifty. Million range if people feel that that's not, the case he'll probably be closer to the thirty thirty five, million range and we'll see where it goes. From there but we're dealing with a six four to two hundred and twenty five pound guy with a, big arm AND need i say he can make every THROWER ofs, i, Love, Sorry greg and of course, he's mobile he can move.
Speaker 2: As, well yeah. Absolutely Love greg cosell comes On The Dan patrick show and drops a stat of the Day On sam darnold throwing it over twenty. Yards, downfield greg What About? Daniel jones You know i'm curious. About him is there Any Chance daniel jones could be This Year's sam darnold or two Years AGO's, baker mayfield that he could be sort of the reclamation Project in cleveland or somewhere and play at a.
Speaker 7: HIGH level a true enigma, For me ross because, you know up to, this point i'd have to SAY that i was wrong. ABOUT him i liked him. Coming OUT now i didn't like him THE way i thought He'd Be, josh ALLEN but i liked him, coming out and as we probably, ALL remember i know, you do his, rookie year he was. Very good there was a sense coming off his rookie season that he, could be, you know A quality nfl. Starting quarterback now we can start looking at any number of reasons why it, didn't happen, o line lack, of weapons but you have to also look at, the player. You know and one of the Things About daniel JONES that i thought started to really show itself and again now you get, into teams scheme and, other factors is even though he is mobile as a straight, line runner he's fairly robotic in. The pocket and one thing that, he LACKS and i think this is a really, important trait one thing that he lacks is, pocket movement and that's a difference between running out of. The pocket that's there are two totally. Different traits pocket movement is the ability to move within. The pocket think of an area that's, you know SMALLER than i let's say the size of a, boxing ring but, you know just to give you a sense of sort of confined space to be able to move in, the pocket within, the pocket to, avoid pressure keep your, eyes downfield maintain, your focus not lose your focus of the routes and, the coverage and still then reset your platform to deliver. THE ball i think that that's a trait that he needs that he hasn't, really SHOWN and i think that's really imperative for the style of quarterback that.
Speaker 2: He is check him out on social Media At greg cosel so you know wherever, he's at especially when he joins Me, on thursdays typically On The Ross Tucker. Football podcast obviously forty FIVE years. Nfl films, Just, Incredible greg thank you. So much, As, always ross.
Speaker 7: Really appreciate being on with. You today thanks for having me