Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody to Are You a Charlotte? Part two?
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Here we go. All right, let's go back, let's go back to this episode.
Speaker 3: But it is fun.
Speaker 1: One of the things which is so obvious obviously, but I'm just going to name it, one of the things that is joyful about me watching this is that because we all know things that happen. Yes, you can go back, but we all have this vocabulary which is kind of amazing, amazing, and you know, due to our writers. Yeah, writers are so important.
Speaker 3: Ye oh my goodness, writers or everything. If it's not they are on the page, there's nothing you can do, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, in the beginning of the show, Charlotte wasn't really on the page, and I really stressed, you know, quietly, because I didn't want to complain.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, I would just be like, oh, and you're trying to bring so much.
Speaker 1: You're trying to bring subtext to like nothing that's really there.
Speaker 2: And then luckily as it.
Speaker 1: Went because also we were based on a column and a paper that was about gossip in New York, right, so like all of them had to be kind of fleshed out and deepened out. And obviously Carrie changed in her own way from the true Candice Bushnell.
Speaker 2: You know, they deviated pretty significantly.
Speaker 1: But I think for Charlotte, you know, until we kind of added some of our writers, and Jenny had grown up on the Upper East Side and kind of knew that life. And Michael Patrick took some time, Like he said to me when he came on the show, which was first season Darren Bard him on to write. He said, I looked at your character and I was like, I don't know what to write for her. And then over time, of course he was it came to him and he saw me and her and the world, and you know, thank god, She's like, thank god it came to it. But it is interesting to look back sometimes. I also think for myself and you were younger than me. But the vibe still in the nineties in New York was that not necessarily like the Charlotte versionsion of like married with children, but like you were looking to get coupled up. It wasn't necessarily clear yet that this kind of growing contingency of single women that's we're going to.
Speaker 2: Be like a power move or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to put it, but you know, like at a certain point in the two thousands, there would be like at one point they put the four of us on the cover of Time magazine and they wrote, who needs a husband?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: I have it hanging in my class.
Speaker 3: It makes me Laugh's amazing, I know.
Speaker 1: I remember Ali mcbeales like there were a lot of kind of conversation.
Speaker 3: Around that because the assumption before those conversations started was that is the goal, even if you also work or whatever, like at some point you're going to lay down your career, Yeah, to do husband, children, Yeah, all other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting to think about.
Speaker 1: But I see it in so many weird details when you look back at the shows.
Speaker 2: Like Miranda, I never thought of her.
Speaker 1: But the episode a couple of episodes ago was the Chicken Dance where there's a wedding of her interior designer meets this guy that she has coming from London to visit.
Speaker 2: It's a long story.
Speaker 1: She has hopes for the guy, but then they fall in love at first sight and get married and she reads the poem. Carry reads the poem and cries because Big gets up and doesn't listen to her poem.
Speaker 2: It's very loaded. It's such a loaded.
Speaker 1: And then the best part for me is that the end, we're all standing there, we've gone through a whole drama at this wedding, and they throw the bouquet and lands at our feet and we're like, okay, bye.
Speaker 3: None of you pick it up. Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's so funny to think that that was like new whatever, it was different, Yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the episode. Here we go, Oh, yes, Roger's used, poor Roger. And then oh, here we go with the Jason throw.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: First of all, he's just so adorable.
Speaker 3: Cute god, oh, so funny and wonderful.
Speaker 1: I mean, so funny, wonderful, and like just to watch his career another one where like you know, I mean, I don't know in his career what he done was for how we knew him, but he was definitely.
Speaker 2: Sarah knew him, I believe, And I.
Speaker 1: Think that what had happened with this episode was that they were hoping she would get Matthew.
Speaker 2: Oh couldn't you see Matthew in that part?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean yes, and I think that Matthew was like no, no, and I think even Sarah was like.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a little weird. Yeah, it's a little weird. Like they don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, they did plus a sweep together, which is amazing.
Speaker 3: For sure, but just like a one off and particularly what the storyline is, No, that would be so uncomfortable. Yeah, and just I think distracting for the audience too, as it has been all those scenes being like, oh they're actually married, absolutely absolutely no.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I think we were like, hey, Justin, come back and just cut your hair and put in some glasses. So we meet Justin. They're adorable, they're both writers. They met at a pen luncheon, which I love, and then that she gives him advice about, you know, what he should or shouldn't wear.
Speaker 2: She says, never go shirt sleeveless.
Speaker 1: He's going to do a GCU GQ shoot because she says, no one ever gets nominated for a Pulitzer after they've gone.
Speaker 3: Taking their shirt off. Yes, yeah, too funny.
Speaker 1: But then later on he takes a shirt off and it's great, thank god, but that's not the photo shoot.
Speaker 3: So then we go we meet the.
Speaker 1: Family and this is kind of the background of the theme of the story, which is are you dating the person or the family? Do you feel more strongly about the family than the person, because you can tell once they get there. Not that she doesn't seem into him, she does, she does.
Speaker 3: But she really likes really something.
Speaker 1: Yes, they really are and they're so kind of quintessentially New York. The dad is a professor at Columbia. The mom is a writer, documentarian documentaryian who reads Carrie's a column tells her she's an icon, which kind of cragged me out because it's Valerie Harper saying it. I mean, I was like, Wow, I don't remember any of this is amazing, and they have these kids and there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of good food in New York and.
Speaker 1: Right, it's awesome and you can tell that Carrie loves it. Oh and the girls are named Franny and Zoe, Yes, which God's so funny, so funny. So then Carrie is obviously very seduced by that life, by the lifestyle and the kind of thoughtful you know, conversation and characters and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Now we're back, we're at the park. We discussed the.
Speaker 1: Hitting on the head the child, which is so crazy about the divorce.
Speaker 2: Oh now we're at my house.
Speaker 1: I love that I'm suddenly just making everybody muffin, so Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Because the muffin will fix that brother marriage problem.
Speaker 1: I know it's sad, but it's kind of funny. So here I am with my brother, my poor brother who we're never going to see her again.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to watch, but.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I also felt like like there's like a weird vibe between me and the brother. Do you know, like it doesn't seem that comfortable, Like I'm kind of cheerful and trying to cheer him up, but it doesn't seem like.
Speaker 3: We're actually have a real relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's like you don't even know, you know, he's kind of like mad and like you don't even know. And I'm like, oh yeah, And then I love that I do try to give him advice, like why did you try?
Speaker 3: And he's like, when was the last time you had a long term relationship?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, go, yeah, good call, good call.
Speaker 1: Brother, that's right, that's right, put me in my place. But the adorable thing, I'm just going to tell the whole storyline now because it is so hysterical. So we see the brother. I tell everybody about the brother. They make fun of the brother. Then I want to introduce him to my friends, meaning Carrie. And Carrie brings Samantha, and I'm all like, weirdly, I mean, it's almost like a high school yes, right, Like it's not Charlotte at her most mature, as you know, not at all.
Speaker 3: But then I didn't mind, because family sometimes we do kind of regress.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. No, that's very valid.
Speaker 1: It's very valid because I think also we were not afraid to show our characters bad you know, qualities or whatever, their shortcomings.
Speaker 3: So to speak to.
Speaker 2: How I did that, that was good.
Speaker 1: So they Carrie brings him, brings Samantha, and of course Samantha takes one look at him and either takes one look at her. Next thing, you know, is the morning at my apartment and I walk out and Samantha's there without any pants on, trying to find coffee filters, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are you doing there?
Speaker 1: And then she is oblivious and kind of adorable. It's coffee for all of us. It's so cute, you know, shame in a way that Charlotte couldn't just be like, yeah, Samantha's here, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know how great we have breakfast together. It's true, It's true.
Speaker 1: I kind of felt that way when I walked in, like it have been adorable, but not for Charlotte, because has judgements and les absolutely So then I say this very mean thing that she should be in the guidebook for New York because she's open all the time, which is like such an dick thing to say. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And luckily she leaves and she does look really hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very genuinely hurt.
Speaker 2: She really does.
Speaker 3: And your brother stands up for her and goes after, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Nice, that was really nice, And also then connects back to when he tries to say to me, you know, this is what really happened. I haven't had sex in two years, and she made me feel great. Yeah, and that does seem to land for Charlotte. Thank god. I feel like that's like a good moment of Charlotte learning something, yes, And so luckily then I make muffins for Samantha, you guys, and.
Speaker 2: Go to her door, and she luckily forgives me.
Speaker 1: I say I'm sorry, and then she smacks me on the butt, which is something she always did, which is interesting. That was Kim ADLERB that she was very fond of and I was always like.
Speaker 3: But it was fine.
Speaker 1: It was kind of an interesting thing because it's like kind of an old fashioned masculine energy thing.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Man also like a generational that you guys are friends, but also you're a kid too, like and.
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely, definitely it's very it's very loving and funny in a weird way, unexpected and funny. And I also can you can tell that I don't expect her to do it, which is also funny because she she she does do it off and on throughout the years. Now this is the whole thematic situation. No, yes, oh good, Yes, thematics are so good about the family and I love this. Oh this is oh the Justine. Yeah, we didn't talk about Justin's poor problem. It's not Justin, of course, it's the character. It's the character. So this is the sad, sad thing. And I felt so bad for Carrie in this whole storyline. I hadn't remembered this at all. Right, so I'm basically like a first time viewer because you're thinking this guy is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's adorable, he's a writer. His family is awesome. Yes, And then they start.
Speaker 2: Making out in Carrie's kitchen and then he, you know, ejaculates.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna have to say it.
Speaker 2: So he has like, what was it called has sure, thank you, premature ejaculation.
Speaker 3: It's terrible. It's terrible, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and poor Carrie just looks like kind of like, oh, dear, And then you can see that she's like, the wheels are turning, the wheels are churning.
Speaker 2: What do I do? How do I?
Speaker 1: And you know, at a certain point, once she meets the family, then she just wants talk about the family. And then at one point he goes, I think this would be the next thing, and he goes, oh, I don't want to talk about my family right now because they're kissing right But she now is kind of infatuated with his mother in a way, which is adorable. But of course he wouldn't want to talk about his mother. Oh I love the part where he So she has a scene with the.
Speaker 2: Mother played played by Valerie.
Speaker 1: Harper, when Valerie Harper says, I always talk very openly to my case my children since they were two and of course as a mom, I'm thinking like that, it's amazing she did that, right, then, come to find out Justin's character says Carrie. When Carrie tries eventually to talk to him about this, he goes, I'm so sick.
Speaker 2: Of talking about sex, says I was two years old, right, And you're like, ooh, backfire, backfire situation.
Speaker 3: But it's so sad too, because you know, they try a few times and they keep running into the same problem, and eventually Carrie is like, we're going to take it slow, and she's really trying to like not bail, you know, she's trying to actually, and he just cannot talk about it. He cannot deal, he cannot try to work it out.
Speaker 2: And he seems mad mad, which is not good.
Speaker 1: That's the main problem, because my feeling is you can work on anything.
Speaker 3: People stay open and communicate and yeah, yeah, but he can't.
Speaker 2: No, he's mad.
Speaker 1: And it's so sad because there he's shirtless, he's like so dreamy, he's justin you know, but yet I can't even talk to her about it, and he seems mad that she's trying.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's a terrible trait.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's just like if you can't have communication, then that's yeah, there's nothing you're doing.
Speaker 1: No, no, and it's really sad. And then she realizes that she really has to break up.
Speaker 2: With his mother and that's so sad, and have your wonderful scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you guys go back.
Speaker 1: You go. We're back at the apartment with the family, and everybody's perched on like kind.
Speaker 3: Of small furniture, yes, living room.
Speaker 2: We're all just started around with our plates of Yeah, it's so cute, and you are the girlfriend.
Speaker 3: I'm this girlfriend of Justin's little sister, got it? Got it?
Speaker 2: Which is Franny or Zoe? Don't know one of them.
Speaker 3: I think Zoe got it? Yeah, one of them?
Speaker 2: And you got did they say you're going can We're going?
Speaker 3: Valerie at one point is like, oh, whichever one it is tells me that you're going camping, which I thought was really funny because even though this family is amazing in all the things, there's also is a sense that like that mother definitely inserts herself into her children's lives and Sarah and I she has this voiceover. Sarah and I had this moment looking at each other, and she has this voiceover where she says something like because you're outsiders. We're outsiders. Like Jem and I looked at each other like the people. I can't remember exactly something like we didn't have the passports and yeah, and there was a feeling of like even though it's amazing to have like a family like that, like within reason, like at some point the mothers, yeah, to give their children the space absolutely to run there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely they know it's almost too close.
Speaker 3: It's most two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a family I know who's like this and everyone every family member is amazing.
Speaker 2: But the boys in the family have.
Speaker 1: Challenges when it comes to the girlfriends in terms of everyone approving friend or accepting.
Speaker 2: And I feel for.
Speaker 1: Them because, like, on the one hand is the closeness, Like just as a mother, you look at that and you think, like, isn't that amazing you have your grown children, You're so close, right, doesn't that feel wonderful? But then also you need enough space that.
Speaker 3: They can make their own new life try trying and choose people, right, It's interesting and that like when when Carrie then is like I'm going to leave because justin throw is like banging around and basically having.
Speaker 2: Having a grown, grown tantrum and Rhoda I most saying. Jeff is like it's a there's to ignore him. He's like, where is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So Carrie tries to leave, and you know, value Happer's character like follows her and and basically says, look, his last girlfriend was less discreet, and you know, is it's I know, I know the problem is in the irony that he's a short story writer. Why yeah, And Carrie's like, I cannot discuss this with you about anything.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, that's mortifying.
Speaker 3: That's mortifying. It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But I mean this is the other thing that went through my head.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking to myself, like the mom needs to get him into some therapy, yes, right, Like if she's more love it, then she just actually.
Speaker 2: Be productive and yet help the actual problem.
Speaker 3: He needs talk therapy and also like a doctor, a doctor help work. There there's things that can be done, right, yeah, I think they think there is.
Speaker 2: Aren't there commercials for this ed?
Speaker 3: Yes, there are. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know back in the day, but I'm sure back.
Speaker 3: In the day, right, I'm sure there are things that could something be done.
Speaker 1: Definitely something man out totally. Let's hope he got help in the future at some point. But then the sweet scene where the voiceover says, you know, I realized that I needed to break up with his mother and she's basically trying to say, it's not you, You're wonderful, And then the mom is trying to fight for the relationship, and then she says something crazy like seventy five percent of marriages are sexless.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh God.
Speaker 3: Now Carrie's reaction to that, she's just like, we cannot be satisfied with those numbers. No, like to just settle for that.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, Bellary Harper saying, you know, that's not the only thing, and I think it's true, right, not.
Speaker 3: The only thing, but it is one of the things.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's also interesting if you look at the way that our characters all talk about sex, because obviously that's part of the thing that we do right, which is freeing and amazing, But then it's sometimes almost seems like the focus goes too much, too much, too right, And luckily, through Charlotte's whole marriage thing, we have we have some growth in that area for her at least, right but everyone is different in terms of how important sex is to them or not or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's right, right, well, and also because the show is exploring like the starts of lots of relationships, right, that is an exciting part of the beginning of relationship, right, So there's a lot of focus on that at the beginning of relationship, and then obviously hopefully everything evolves together, right but right, No, if that thing is broken at the beginning, right, then it's like, oh, then where's this going to go?
Speaker 1: Because and especially if the person can't talk about it, like in the way they Carrie really tries.
Speaker 2: Which I was so happy that she did because.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember the storyline at all, right, so I was like, oh my god, what's going to happen? She hung in there, she really tries, and maybe it's because she loves his family, but also he's adorable and it's so cute.
Speaker 3: And what's weird is like, on some level it almost feels like he has a blind spot because this keeps like this keeps happening, right, but then he comes back in all like haughty and flirtationous and like, let's like make a moment of yes, which is going to be done in thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: It's almost like he's he's almost seems unaware, which is also interesting.
Speaker 2: But I mean.
Speaker 3: You can tell him debating.
Speaker 2: What I should say now.
Speaker 1: I have had one relationship where this was kind of a problem, not to the extent because this is very extreme.
Speaker 3: The spa in the show, right, but I can have.
Speaker 1: One relationship, and you know, sometimes I think like, hmm, you know, should I say something yeah?
Speaker 3: Or should I not? Should I? Am I okay?
Speaker 2: You know, you're just like, yeah, what am I okay with it? Am I not okay with it?
Speaker 3: And I think I think not to make like gross generalizations, but I think as women, we are kind of we want to facilitate people feeling good about themselves. And sometimes we're like, maybe the fix comes in just like making things nice, right and confidence, instead of going right to the problem, which might make them feel insecure. And that's true, and that's what's so awkward.
Speaker 1: And I thought that the way that Carrie did it in the show was so loving and sweet.
Speaker 2: And that's why when he's just like what you know, and then she's like we have to talk because it's extreme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty extreme. Yeah, my situation was not that extreme. But I also felt like the person that I was involved with had some understanding about it, because there were things that he would do to to like focus on me, so to speak.
Speaker 2: But I was like, that's too much focus on me? Yeah right, yes, like yeah.
Speaker 1: But then in reality I thought it through and I thought, oh, that is kind of a mechanism to take the focus off this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as bad.
Speaker 1: It definitely wasn't as bad, but at a certain point I was like, this is just weird.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't feel like I can talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean if you think about the show that the show is trying to take like the lid off of all of the different things and say you can talk about it.
Speaker 3: You can talk about it, right, And that's the only way to try to solve anything.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I try to tell my seven year old this, you know, like we got to talk about the feelings, you know, we got to talk about the feelings. Yeah, I mean, hopefully I can get him to it's not easy.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about what you're working on. Tell me everything. So they said, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 1: Oh you're sweet, thank you, Even knowing that you had been on our show.
Speaker 2: I've just been a watching fan.
Speaker 1: I don't even think I knew that you were married to Alan, didn't even know that connection.
Speaker 2: I was just like amazing and so unique.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I love everything you've done because I think you get to play this like we touched on a bit. You get to play kind of more masculine characters, but you're yet this tiny.
Speaker 2: Little you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a funny journey, but I mean one that I've been grateful for because you do hear about women's roles being marginalized or whatever, but when you're given these roles of women who have kind of an internal power, then you get to live that out.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Those are stories point.
Speaker 3: So anyway, most recently, I don't know if you know the show for All Mankind. I'll admit that I wasn't familiar with it at all. It's this great sci fi show on Apple TV, and the structure is very interesting. Each season jumps a decade, so it starts in nineteen sixty nine. It's a revisionist history of what if Russia got to the moon first?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: Which launched this incredible space race. Okay, then your main characters from season one, you get to watch them age throughout the course of their lives.
Speaker 2: Cool, it's very cool.
Speaker 3: So season and so every season they have to bring in new characters because it's a full decade later and what's happening. Now we're on the Moon and now we're on Mars and hour you know. So I got to join in season five as one of the new main characters of season five. And I mean there's so much storyline and everything. But it's coming out this fall. Oh wow, yeah, So I haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to see it. Yeah, yeah, comeing out. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: And tell us about.
Speaker 3: John Hamm and John ham We love Jonne, Yeah, we love Jhon ham. So and then I've just signed on to do a limited series with John ham called American Hostage that's coming out on MGM Plus. And it's very interesting story based on a true story in the seventies, a man was taken hostage in kind of a public way in Illinois and asked the the kidnapper asked to be interviewed live by kind of this famous Illinois radio journalist, and that man agreed to do it. And and just like the role of journalism and the role of us as citizens, like what our place is in just helping well, it's really like riveting strong.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to see that. How incredible. I have a really important question.
Speaker 2: Are you a Charlotte? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Really, I think I'm scrappy.
Speaker 2: I grew up scrappy, Okay, I grew.
Speaker 3: Up in like Texas with like chickens in my back.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't mean that you're not a Charlotte because you are wearing a pushy bow bunch of bowl.
Speaker 3: And I didn't put on blouse on purpose just to like that direction.
Speaker 2: It's just your every day where I think I.
Speaker 3: Think I'm a little scrappier Charlotte. I'm so put together. That's when we're whole, like, and most days I do not look like this most days I'm I mean, yea, yeah, most days I'm just a little so like would you put yourself more in a Miranda kind of so I think I'm I think I'm a little bit ambitious like I'm Miranda. I think maybe I'm just pieces.
Speaker 1: Which is fantastic all of that.
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit like scattered like Carrie. I'm a little. I don't know. I think I like it, Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: I mean people who talk about that we're all parts of one woman, which I find interesting.
Speaker 2: And it depends who's saying that, whether I'm annoyed by that or not.
Speaker 1: But all women can be everything, right, of course, right, and you can be also these other things. And it doesn't mean that you're just parts of what you don't say