Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi. I'm Sienna Jacole and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now spending our time watching movies directed by women. Oh.
Speaker 2: This podcast is a safe train station for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Lapta ladies. Whooh, there's no shame in being an idiot, but being.
Speaker 1: Proud about it. That's shameful. Get it out of my.
Speaker 2: Sight, a film recommended by a pal who you'll hear all about. Warning there will be spoilers about this women recent film.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, well, Leanna, listen to your predictions.
Speaker 2: Okay, shall I play you mine? Since twas I who put the film on the list.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's only fair.
Speaker 2: Hi Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Lapata Ladies. I don't know anything about this except that actually friend of the pod recommended it and said it's a good time, so I predict I will have a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's oh my gosh, okay, great, great knowledge to have going into it, exciting knowledge to have, exciting knowledge to have.
Speaker 2: Now, shall we listen to my excited to have my knowledge? Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: There's at least one second that I forgot what I was saying, and I have to edit it out. Ready, Hi, Leanna, I'm about to watch. I hope that's pronounced correctly. This looks like it's a Hindi language, though, and I haven't seen anything else about that except for the fact that it's two hours or something. It's okay because those ladies. My predictions for this movie, I don't know, but I am praying. I'm sorry. I don't know, but my hope is that it's about sisters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's about sisters, kind of sisters. Okay, I love you, goodbye. I don't know why I was so close to the mic. I don't know what happened. I do apologize.
Speaker 2: That's okay, I forgive you. I mean there there was sisterhood, certainly.
Speaker 1: M sisterhood galorn mm mmmm well before we talk about it. Hey girl, Hey girl girl, how's it going? Girl? Girls? Girl?
Speaker 2: Oh girl. I was supposed to get my visa decision this past Monday from the government and I still haven't no, no, And I called the government yesterday. I said hi me again, remember me from last time? And asked, uh, is anything like wrong? And they were like no, there's just a backlog of visa applications to be processed. Yeah. And I was like, okay, well, do you have a sense of like how long the delay will be and they were like no, they have not given us a timeline. And I was like, okay, my current visa expires two weeks from tomorrow. Will that be an issue? And they were like no, because while they're making a decision on your next one, you're allowed to remain in the country. And I'm like yeah, but if they say no to the next one and it's after my old one has expired, what I was like, Okay, I have a plane ticket to fly to America two weeks and two days from tomorrow for a family obligation. If I haven't heard about the visa by then, can I still go? And they were like, we don't recommend traveling while your visa application is being processed, so we just don't know yet. We just don't know. We cannot know, and my body is giving in. It really is like the physiological the damage my body is taking from these hits is intense in what way. I it kind of hurts to breathe. My toe really hurts, my left big toe. I have a lot of of course, my visa toe, my visa toe is so I don't know if I broke it or if I've been wearing boots with a heel too much and it's feeling overused. I'm not really sure what's going on with my toe, but it's it's been speaking up recently. It's been speaking out, asking for what it needs. Unfortunately I can't understand it to give it then it whatever it is that it needs. So my toe is in anguish my shoulders. Of course, I keep planning like, well, once I get the decision whatever it is, I'm going to get a massage because at least then I can let go of the tension I've been holding onto. But I still can't get a massage because I still don't have a decision. Well, Leonna, you could get a massage. No, that would jinx it, I don't think so if I got a massage before a visa confirmation, I would be deported immediately we.
Speaker 1: Don't recommend getting don't recommend getting a massage while your application is being reviewed. If there was an AI unfortunately trying to do what is ruining your life right now, it would be this. It would be like, I'm waiting on my visa decision, m and it's the country I'm asking for a visa in doesn't work. Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: So now it's like I just have to pick a day well, depending on I guess American Airlines by which if I haven't heard, I gotta cancel that flight. Baby, I cannot go. Please recredit those miles to my account. Damn, I'm sorry to my cousin. It is I mean, I will say it's the most iron clad excuse, yeah for not making a wedding. If you don't have all time and they don't let you back in, I can't leave the I can't come to your wedding because I'm not allowed to leave the country that I'm in, which is not the one that your wedding is happening in, because I'm trying to get a visa so as to not have to live in the country where your wedding is happening. Right. Sorry, Sorry, anyway, sorry to this cousin, Sorry to this cousin.
Speaker 1: Well, girl, I'm so sorry. No sorry, I've heard not countless things of this sort happening to you at this point, and I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least I know where my passport is, yes, because I didn't have to mail it in this time around. Is that a bird chirping outside of your window? Because it's really beautiful? Oh, please keep it, don't do anything to change that. I love it. Okay, I need I need something that's gorgeous right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know if I told you. I changed the configuration of my room, but now I record near the window and I love that. So oh yes, yes, hey girl, hey girl. Springtime in Los Angeles is here, and I realized this is the only time I really feel like I I enjoy it here in this area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because spring. I've always loved spring. And it's really it's really sweet here, you know, like school's still in session, but you can feel that people are excited about the sun coming out, and there's animals coming back.
Speaker 2: And animals are coming back.
Speaker 1: Animals, animals are back, baby animals are.
Speaker 2: Back doing the animals leave La for a time.
Speaker 1: I mean, there haven't been birds chirping in this way. Okay, maybe they're migrated over here. Yeah, but uh, let's see. Okay, I'm going on tour, which we have to announce, but I'll be going on tour with my puppet group. Uh, I just can never say it. I'm going on tour with my puppet group. We're touring with a musician. It's gonna be so interesting. I'm actually getting really excited. But we are going to like we're going to be in the car for whole long. Oh my god?
Speaker 2: How who? What's are the logistics set to do? People like which vehicle people are going in? Okay, what are the logistics? What the logistics are?
Speaker 1: A big car with a trailer on the back.
Speaker 2: Wow, So we're going.
Speaker 1: Phoenix south by southwest Oklahoma City?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma City, which is the one place where we can't find anyone who will talk to us. I'm on outreach and I've been trying to like I've you know, been saying that does anybody know anybody from there? And somebody will know somebody who has a roommate, and yeah, they just they won't put me in contact with the person. And then there was one guy who reached out to me based on my story post and he was like, uh huh, I have all sorts of connections in Oklahoma City and I went, oh, my gosh, that would be great. You have recommendations of like publications or radio shows or little things that we can try to just alert Yeah, he ghosted me. Oh and I've messaged three times now.
Speaker 2: WUTF So anyway, it's all good. Wow, are you having to do all the publicity on behalf of the musician. It's kind of weird in that way the musicians doing He's doing his own, but we're doing it all together, so we're kind of it's like a joint situation. But we're trying to contact other DIY artist people because they're yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah damn country. Yeah, I'm excited for it, but it's I'm one of my one of my jobs that I've made up and took upon myself is fiber coordinator because I do not up on the road anyway. Yes, I'm fiber coordinator because I'm so scared of being on the road and being completely stopped up for three and a half thanks, I'm really scrash.
Speaker 2: Are you going to do your poop speech.
Speaker 1: My poop speech, you mean, like when I want gave a poop speech to what you're staying with a friend.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I mean. I think about it so often.
Speaker 1: Yes, listeners, I was once staying with a group and I was like, I need everybody to be out of the house when I try to use the bathroom, so I give a poop speech, and they like, weren't. I thought they were going to be like I thought they were gonna be like, oh my god, you're so funny, don't even worry about it. But they were kind of like, uh, oh, okay, well leave.
Speaker 2: I just loved what you were trying to do, something revolutionary, you know, which, as you said to a group of people, you said, it's important that we all acknowledge at some point this weekend, I'm going to have to poop and it's going to happen, and we all need to be adults.
Speaker 1: And you didn't want to hear it about it.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, unacceptable behavior. They are the problem, really really going out on a limb. Poopets poop.
Speaker 1: I know we're all thinking about for you to have, but I hope someone's thinking about the poopets poop.
Speaker 2: It's you are You're on fiber duty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So anyway, it'll be interesting. Stay tuned, you'll be regular. If anybody knows anybody in Oklahoma City, please hit me up. The important thing is we will be taking a few weeks off. We'll be back again in early April. Stay tuned. You can watch on our Instagram. But until then, have a good little springtime, Happy Lent, Happy Women's Month, and happy Women's Month.
Speaker 2: Mmm, great, gorgeen.
Speaker 1: Well, Leanna, shall we talk about this dang movie?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, speaking of travel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of being in a vehicle, yeah, and being concerned.
Speaker 2: Could you please give us a synopsis of the film Lapata Ladies.
Speaker 1: Yes, I wrote this immediately after watching it last night, and it is very long. Okay, great, Okay, Lapata Ladies. I will sit back and relax, which apparently in Hindi means missing ladies.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: After a farcical post nuptial train situation, two identically dressed brides in India gets switched. Deepak ends up back at his village with the wrong woman, and Pool ends up lost at the train station where she stepped off with the other husband. But don't worry about that right now. The wrong woman in question that I just mentioned is Jaya, but she, while in Deepak's town, lies about everything because her new husband that I just mentioned a second ago is terrible and she really wants to go to agriculture school, so she uses this as a time to lay low before going to school. But then she lies to everybody, so everybody suspicious all the time. It makes you seem really suspicious, especially because there's a group of fake bride bandits on the loose, by the way, which also complicates things because the police are involved a lot. The police, by the way, are super corrupt, which also complicates things. And then meanwhile, well Pool can't remember the name of any villages she either came from or is going to because she was raised to be uninformed and helpless dude to society, which they do discuss. And also, by the way, in this culture, girls aren't even supposed to say their husband's names out loud, so everything gets really complicated. But at the end of the day, it's feminist and warm and funny and awesome, and everything turns out great. Yes the end, Yes, everyone finds each other. Who needs to find everybody who doesn't want to be together.
Speaker 2: They aren't. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, me, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I'm lost. Do you remember the name of the podcast I was just doing? Does anybody remember I never wrote down the name of the podcast I was doing, So I'll just have to sleep here for three days.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, yes, oh, Sienna, let's jump into phone notes. That's the section where we read the notes that we took on our I almost said, on each other's phones. Oh, we read each other's notes watching the film first of all, just up top, what do you think I mean, I'm getting it, so I'm gidding a vibe. I loved it so much. Oh my god, I had the best time watching this.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved it. It was so fun it was I literally called Kelsey in the middle of watching it because I'm like, I have to tell you what's happening in this. Oh my god, I love that. And then I went to my God and told her the same thing. And that's what I found out. It's actually kind of difficult to describe because one girl, let me just try, comes out names. One girl is at the train station but she got off well the other guy. But the guy's bad but and then the other girl, she seems bad, but I don't know if she's going to be bad. It seems like she's doesn't like her husband, but like she's at the village and and the other two are really in love. Anyway, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved it the premise alone. As soon as they got on the train and there were like three people in the same outfit and you couldn't tell who was who. I said, Oh, okay, oh I love that. Oh I love that. It really was like a true farce. It was extremely farce.
Speaker 1: And be like there are things all the and then it's complicated by the fact that there are certain cultural practices that make it. Like when it turned out that she was lying, but when they asked Jaya, they're like, well, why didn't you see it was your husband? And she's like, I'm supposed to look down. It's wedding day, and I have.
Speaker 2: To look down. I literally can't see through the day. One So there's like one cell phone. Yeah, crap, it's it's a crap Nokia. It probably still would work today, to be fair, but farce.
Speaker 1: Oh I loved, Oh, I just loved I'm so glad, Yes, thank you to actionha, thank you. Action say. Okay, Leanna, you said, oh.
Speaker 2: I just remembered you said.
Speaker 1: Honestly, at this point, I could be down for an arranged marriage. Okay, let's talk about that. Let's talk about that the best we can. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Nothing in my life is in control right now, and so at this point, I'm like, you know what, somebody else take the reins and tell me what to do, because I don't like the feeling like I can't do anything.
Speaker 1: It completely is one of those practices that you're like, oh, I completely. I wish there was some form of that, like of matchmaking that existed in our culture that you could go like the you weren't as in control of I know they have because you're like, I want a trusted person to match me with somebody else, and we're both just good with the situation.
Speaker 2: It's fine. Yeah, it's a okay whatever. And I don't even know if these marriages I don't know if, I mean, was their marriage arranged? Their's They seemed like I know Jayas was, but these two were in love, which was very sweet. But I was just like, listen, I maybe that's what I've been missing. It's just somebody else to arrange it because I'm not doing any work. Yeah, I'm not trying at all, totally well, and I feel like there's so much pressure in our culture to like find the one, yeah, find the perfect match. And I'm like, maybe it doesn't have to be that. Maybe just find something which I might have to do if this visa gets denied, I might have to arrange a marriage.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be so fun. Wait, please.
Speaker 2: Please, Leanna.
Speaker 1: You've said I have nothing to offer as a wife TM. Are you talking about your own personal dowry?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I was thinking about that. I was like, I mean I could have I could I could offer like monetary whatever, But in terms of like being a traditional domestic wife TM, I do not have anything to offer. I cannot cook, what is I don't want to like maintain the home. I hate children. I'm not doing that. It's possible that I won't bang you, like there's just it's arguably zero's across the board from me.
Speaker 1: I have a few thoughts, and I think these are important. So I'm gonna say, Okay, So I've been watching Love Is Blind. It's a very boring season. Unfortunately everybody d C or which city. This one is Minneapolis. So everybody talks like this, they'll be like, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Everyone broke up in the pod. I love that.
Speaker 1: So now there's only like there's been no reveals, no, not everyone. There's like four couples, but there were a couple more couples that were clearly going to be some of the like exciting ones, and then they broke up because unfortunately I respect themselves. Oh so there's not as many now, and nothing dramatic is happening. I love that there is one guy who's really really bad, but all the bad is happening slowly, so it's like not good TV.
Speaker 2: Oh, very boring.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting is even the couples who are getting along, there's this weird thing on reality TV that I just think people who don't think too hard about their partners can speak this way, which is this concept of like, oh, I really want to come home to this, this is what I want for my partner. I love if there was somebody who when I get home, like this is what's ready for me. It's like that's not what a partner should employ at all. That's like what a robot in your house does, know it trips me up so much. The idea that you could love somebody and be like, it's just so perfect, because I always wanted somebody who would have this waiting for me when I get home.
Speaker 2: Same you. Yeah, but that would be me. I wouldn't have anything waiting for you. I'd be on the couch.
Speaker 1: And that should be enough. And you guys make dinner together. That should be enough. Anyway. The other thing is, I think we have to decide right now what is our dowry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would you put in your dowry?
Speaker 1: What is my dawry? Right now? My dowry would be I have a good My family is good at talking about things, so I can provide that sort of a good conversational bass that's holidays would be like enjoyable and if you need to talk through an issue, you know, it's a good place to do it. I have a dad who understands business and finance. M m hm, so I can provide a business dad. Let's see what do I have in terms of things. I have a guitar. I have one of those you know those things that you plug into your laptop that like adapts it.
Speaker 2: To the Oh yeah, that's really useful. Yeah, that's really helpful. You definitely everybody should have that in their dowry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think that's mostly it. And then an understanding of as a as a wife, I would provide a real, a real desire to avoid the sun, like to sun protection.
Speaker 2: I think you bring that too, Yeah, I sure do.
Speaker 1: This is the sun Protected podcast, Pale Pod, Pale Pod. What about you.
Speaker 2: I have a really large plush seal yeah, uh huh, called Prince Herbert. But he can fit into almost any suitcase.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That is amazing I have.
Speaker 2: I have a Colorado flag, a flag from my home state, so if I ever got lost, I would remember where I'm from because I have the flag right from where that is. I have the patience to do a really overly needlessly complex paint by number, but not the discipline to finish it in anything under four years.
Speaker 1: Sure, but you know, and to finish something after four years is actually really that's really that's really impressive, because I feel like once you give up, Once I give up on something, I don't go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's the I guess I won't. I don't give up on things. Is that true? No, I give up on friendships really easily.
Speaker 1: Well, friendships are different than a paint by number.
Speaker 2: Else, I think I'm I'm a little bit too Like my visa decision is still up in the air, and there's been scaffolding on our balcony for a month now blocking out the light. So I think I'm really too mentally ill to Yeah, have a sturdy dowry beyond those items totally.
Speaker 1: Well, if mental illness stop people from partnering up, then it would be very different world. So I think you're good. Yeah, Well that's been our dowry. And we both have a podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we each can offer fifty percent of a podcast.
Speaker 1: Fifty percent of a podcast that's owned mostly percentage by a big corporation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, not nice who for licensing reasons, they might not even be able to serve.
Speaker 1: We own it, actually a very small percentage of our own podcast. We both own some pretty expensive microphones.
Speaker 2: That's my dowry. Oh god, I'm not giving a microphone to a man.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have to give it to them.
Speaker 2: Isn't that the whole thing of a dowry?
Speaker 1: It is bold.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just kind of knew it was there, Leanna, You've said it'd be really funny, like putting a dowry together of stuff you're you don't want. Uh huh, You're like, oh, I've been actually trying to get rid of this thing. So do you want these old tennis shoes or like this that I can't donate?
Speaker 1: It's my dowry. Here you go, Leanna. Did you watch the dub or the sub?
Speaker 2: I watched the subtitled version. Dub dubbing makes me feel crazy watching a film that's then been dubbed in the English language. But you watched the I watched the dub, and at certain points a couple of times I switched to the sub just because it was like they were making a joke or something that I wanted to hear in the original language. So I got to hear everybody's actual voices, which was really helpful.
Speaker 1: Oh. I enjoyed the dub. It wasn't It wasn't a really bad dub, And I also had the sub on it at the same time, so I could see like, what the different translations whow yeah, whoa. I enjoyed it, But I was eating dinner and I was like, I don't want to have to read what I understand. Yeah, but you wrote down this line that I also saw, which is your blunder would even shock our ancestors? That was so funny. There were some amazing lines in.
Speaker 2: This can I hm, I don't mean for this to be mean, but it might sound mean. Are you in a place where you can hear something like that. Yes, that line made me.
Speaker 1: Think of you. Thank you so much. I've made a number of blunders. I loved the word blunder. It's like so and it does. It evokes something where I'm like, yes, my blunder, my blunder.
Speaker 2: That would shock even our ancestors.
Speaker 1: Blunder, I've made a blunder that would shock even my ancestors. Like sometimes you make a blunder that would shock even your ancestors. Okay, one of the translations, you know, he gives that little speech about like you don't want to go to the cops.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Ever, yeah, is your jewelry?
Speaker 1: The translation in the way that in the dubbed version was it was like, losing your jewelry is a problem, no doubt, but going to the police station really stresses you out. Oh that was like that's.
Speaker 2: So much like worse than the original. But they had to make it rhyme, because the original one is like Lost Jewelry is like twofold in terms of like hardship one the loss of the item, and to the inquiry with the cops. Yeah, which is so funny and inquiry really rhythmic, but definitely rhyme.
Speaker 1: Going to the cops really stresses you out.
Speaker 2: That's true. Oh and speaking of Sienna, thank you you noted that's too much in your mouth, sir.
Speaker 1: This character intro was crazy. This is one of the craziest scenes I've ever seen. This is when they go to the police station because they keep saying, they keep implying like I don't want to go to the cops, Like if anything bad happens, I am not going to the cops, Like it sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then we get there and we see obviously there's like a comical amount of corruption, but beyond that, it's not just that this guy is so weird. So his mouth is filled to the brim with I guess tobacco what I settled on, and then.
Speaker 2: I was begging. I was begging, so he has he's like, yeah, his cheeks are so full, and he was trying to do a Godfather impression. We forgot about that I forgot she was singing. She was singing to lesson to take down the fine, yea, to reduce the fine again. So I love that they.
Speaker 1: Were showing that there's the sort of wiggly rules around the law.
Speaker 2: It's like, but it's in corruptly and the police force is bad. But it's really funny when it's like, well, I'll take ten thousand rupees off this fine if you see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 1: He was also just a weird guy. He's like, oh, I love this singing. Beautiful. But then later another guy offers a sing sort of as a joke, and he's like really, and then they hit him. Yeah anyway, Yeah, it was so it was so gross. It was a crazy character intro but definitely got across the sky's a weirdo.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm mm hmm. Totally.
Speaker 1: Leana, you've said maybe a little earlier than this, she said a lesson and why you must tell women things?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, both wives And then it turned out only one wife, only Pool, not Jaya. Pool didn't know the name of the village she was meant to be going to with her husband with Deepak, and I was like, oh, you have to tell women things. This is because if you tell us things, then we will know thing we can work with that. Yeah, this her I can't do anything if I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: Her experience as a woman and a bride as like a.
Speaker 2: Child so young.
Speaker 1: She was so young.
Speaker 2: The actress is seventeen, very seventeen, which is what she looked.
Speaker 1: She looked so yeah. Yeah, but but it was all it was cute, innocent. Yeah, it was okay. But her experience like being like, what, I don't have any of the information, so I'm scared? Is how I felt. As like an intern or a PA all the time. Oh yeah, someone who won't tell you anything. And then you're like, I don't have the information, so I can't make any smart decisions. I'm a smart decision maker, but you're not giving you the information, so instaid. I'm just running around the train trying to figure out where my husband went. Why would you put me in this position?
Speaker 2: Literally?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh, okay, Leanna, you've said you said the problem will sort itself out. Men. Oh when did they say that?
Speaker 2: Oh? When don't they say that? Men are always saying that? Men are always saying, Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine. Yeah, because do you know why it ends up fine? Because a woman a has to get involved men sort it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is unfortunately incredibly true and it's devastating.
Speaker 2: But I did love that this movie recognized that and the people who save the day are women. Yes, like Jaya saves everyone's everyone's ass.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I love this movie. Like, no, it didn't sort itself out, Jaya fixed everything and.
Speaker 1: They get to go on their own journeys. And also I liked them. We got to go and see that they were flashbacks showing that Pool and Deepak really loved each other. Yeah that was so we're happy when they get back together.
Speaker 2: It's not just like, yeah, true, they're good.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be good partners. But she got to look she wants like a job less Yes, Leonna, you said, you said plot twist, he has legs. I gasped. Yeah, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: I gasped at that reveal.
Speaker 1: So one of the friends. So one of the ways that Pool ends up like getting by when she's at the train station, she.
Speaker 2: Is so lost, Oh this poor girl.
Speaker 1: And a kind, small young man comes up to her and is like, oh my gosh, you're so lost, like I'll help you, and then he's like, here's also my pal who uses like a little cart to get around because.
Speaker 2: He fell up a train and lost his legs, lost his.
Speaker 1: Legs, but turns out his legs were just tucked into pants.
Speaker 2: Oh crazy?
Speaker 1: Were you thinking about how uncomfortable would be to be sitting on your knees like that all day?
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe he got up and was fine. I'd be so stiff even after.
Speaker 1: Just like sitting on my knees on the couch. I can't stand quite yet.
Speaker 2: My ankle fell asleep while watching this film, and I was in so much pain.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: No, I could not do a day on a cart ostensibly legless.
Speaker 1: Surprise, I have legs.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: You said, I love this sim card queen. Oh my god, where'd she get that new sim card?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, I said, slow up, I know. I loved that. I loved that we were seeing some espionage from early on. I said, oh no, this is a woman with a plan.
Speaker 1: That's what I had to call Kelsey because I was like, oh my god. We thought these were just two stupid women, but instead one doesn't want to be a stupid woman, and which is fine because she's seventeen. And yeah, as is explained to her, she is incredibly she was made dumb by society, which yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not your fault, you're dumb. Can we for one.
Speaker 1: Second, can we for one second please talk about man Jumai.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you highlighted her life. He said, quote there's no shame in being an idiot, but being proud about it is shameful. End quote. She is my star, my hero, my mother. I loved her so much.
Speaker 1: Love, I loved her.
Speaker 2: She spends the whole film radicalizing pools against men, and I said, work, she was amazing, like against really the patriarchy.
Speaker 1: And it's true, like by the time we see inside her house and pools, like do you live alone, we realize that all the women we've seen in this film, like they're just playing such key roles in like the family space. Yeah, that they're like never just people of their own with their own space, And it is radical, It's amazing. I just spends the whole time being like, pool, you know, you're dumb, right, And it was cool how they kept being like she kept noticing that her I forget what's what the name of the young man who helps her is. But they keep comparing the fact that he knows all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, yeah, he's been getting address of a movie star.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he knows all these things because they just like have trusted him with this information or given him this information because he's a guy, a man, and he's can like go out in the world and participate. Yeah, but she's just been told how to make food and oh my gosh. Yeah, and Manjuma is like, so you know you're stupid, right, And that's fine, girl, that's fine. I don't mean to be rude about that, but like if you actually think that you're doing a good job, like that's embarrassing. It's so funny and awesome, and also like they're making such awesome points, like there's so much commentary commentary and I was living.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 1: Leonni, You've said gagged at a faces everything tea, Oh my god, she's in a full Nikoba when like, oh the guy is like I can't tell, Oh my god, I was absolutely gagged at that.
Speaker 2: So they're going around. Deepak is going around showing everybody a photo of him and Pool from their wedding day, but Pool is wearing her veil so you can't see her face, and he's like, have you seen this woman? And everyone's like, I can't see her in that photo? How would I have seen her in real life? And one guy at a stall is like, why would you cover her face? Like a face is everything.
Speaker 1: It's like someone's whole identity.
Speaker 2: Someone's from behind him is a woman in a nicab Then she goes tea.
Speaker 1: The commentary I literally went, uh huh, yeah, so yeah, I loved that. Leanni just said par Deep is on his way to get you. Worstners ever tell him she died. So that's the horrible husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind and terrible and like killed his first wife.
Speaker 1: His thing is a bad husband?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Literally he loses his wife and he's like, I'm gonna beat her up when I find her because she's lost, and it's like you lost her, and then he's like, Okay, well I'm bored, let's go out drinking. And he goes drinking instead of trying to find her, and then everybody's like, yeah, he's kind of bad news because he burned his last wife to death when she called children.
Speaker 2: There were some parts of this movie where I was like, he oh, but yeah, I mean I knew deep down that it was farce vibes and that all would be well in the end, and so I was trying to figure out how they were gonna get around it. And I was like, tell him she died. Yeah, I tell him she's dead.
Speaker 1: They made him bad enough that the cops would even be like, actually, the cops would have reason to help her because he did a cry to his last wife.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, And I loved that. And Siana, your final note is make a cab work for you. I agree.
Speaker 1: The part where he goes and this is my badges. The part where he goes, he's like explaining the whole situation of like, well, the reason he's explaining to the bad guy deep like, well, you did this, this and this, so you know we can't make this. Now that we've closed this case, this woman can go off on her own and maybe if somebody was in this room and we saw him hit her, which you just did in front of us. But he goes to this whole reason why she should be able to go and Pretteepa is like this is nonsense. What is this nonsense? And the cop goes this nonsense is the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah ah.
Speaker 1: And it's literally like, make this system that is so broken work for you work.
Speaker 2: I could work just only on it.
Speaker 1: Your final notes are stop falling off your bicycle.
Speaker 2: Oh. I kept getting the ick every time he buck fell off his bike.
Speaker 1: It was really drunk off off.
Speaker 2: And then on the way to get pool from the station, he falls off again, and I was like, okay, stop falling, all right, that's enough.
Speaker 1: Then your next note is yay, and then your final note is yes, mama's, Yes, mama, mama's. And they're so grateful to each other at the end, they're like, thank you for helping women women. This movie was win men na.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed every moment. I loved it so much, and I was so happy with the ending. This is what films should be, well speaking. And now that we're in this praise boat, shall we move on my badges and badges.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Welcome everybody to the bus stop badges and trages, where we award badges for brides who've been misplaced, and tradges for tobacco chewed way too much. Yeah, his face was so full of tobacco.
Speaker 1: His face was full. It kept looking like it was like a fake out, like he was just about to spit and then he never did.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, h h.
Speaker 1: My first badge is mon do my. I loved her so much. I think she's like the patron saying of this podcast. Everything she was saying was so real. She was summing it off so well. She was just like she was. She was saying it all out loud, and it was so cathartic, like you were put in a bad position. She was also kind of commenting on this type of movie, you know, because she's like this type of situation, this story where you can be this dumb is because of society, by the way, and.
Speaker 2: You go work work, you are so dumb, and she teaches it's not your fault, but you are.
Speaker 1: She teaches pool that like working and being part of society in that way can be a part of a thing that she can be proud of and yes, of your own.
Speaker 2: Oh. I loved the emphasis throughout on like well why don't you do something that you like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just various characters like it's.
Speaker 2: Like it's been so long, I don't even know. Oh, I have a badge for it telling us where and when we are. Thank you. The title card said, Normal, Pradesh, India, January two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: You love it, And.
Speaker 2: I said, I love that you love it. I love knowing that. Thank you you love it.
Speaker 1: My next badge is for the moment that you talked about when the woman was wearing in a cab of covering your faces, like stealing your identity. And then I think it's probably his wife or somebody a family member comes up, come completely covered and he's like, M, well so for my well this is different. Yeah, to respect me.
Speaker 2: Absolute gag. Loved it. A badge for a cab vibes just the general sense of do not trust the police.
Speaker 1: They were just like, you can't go to those guys. They sucks. No bad Yeah, badge for I've also said this, but the speech he gives after this whole a cab movie where he goes this nonsense is the law that really made me laugh.
Speaker 2: A badge for a cow.
Speaker 1: There was a cow, a cow, a cow.
Speaker 2: I have to find joy where I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love cows. I love cows.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Badge for female friendship. Yes, A big part of this movie was just like two of these gals just became galpals because it's like what ever laughed. She's like, I have nobody fun to talk to because my husband isn't here. Like as if your husband would be the most fun person to talk to. He are you kidding?
Speaker 2: That's not true, that's so true. And she gets her back into drawing art. A badge for this shop owner akmun Jumai, who has no faith in man loved her.
Speaker 1: I loved her so much.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I just there's so few characters like this I know in movies who's just like, she's.
Speaker 2: Like what a fairy godmother should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just sort of a wise a wise lady, wise older lady who's like, you're being an idiot, but also you're you're good, You're good.
Speaker 2: I'll help you.
Speaker 1: Uh those oh, badge for just this this family when they were when they arrived from their wedding and everybody was like celebrating them so much. I was like, this is how I want to be celebrated anytime I come home. I want to celebrate it on my birthday. This is what I expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that line. That was like get gee for luck and she's like, well, that's this is why we're always running out of geese because you keep making me get it. A badge for that running bit, the recurring bit of the guy who keeps coming back for more chutney. Yeah, that badge for these guys being freaks, the two cops doing their buddy comedy side plots.
Speaker 1: So cute.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that was funny. A badge for Oh. My final badge is for corrupt policing but on the right side. Mm hmm. You can be corrupt with your policing as long as you're actually helping the girls, as long as it's for the.
Speaker 1: Girlies make work for you. Ah. Trages, trages. My only trage is for police chief being so gross.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: My trage is for is that chewing tobacco?
Speaker 2: It's gross, It's gross.
Speaker 1: It was just gross. An effective character intro. True, but I had to trage something.
Speaker 2: Uh. Trage for yep, my foot fell asleep and it really hurt. Trage for oh dear, I'm about to get so hungry. They kept talking about ROTI and I was like, I want roty so bad right now, and I still do. I haven't had a meal all day. I've just had some foods, you know. Yeah, And they kept having meals. Oh. And then my final trage is a trage for when the mom says I don't even remember what I used to like, and I was like, oh, women's hacrifice so much.
Speaker 1: They sacrificed so much.
Speaker 2: I that book Invisible Women, the data book that made me want to die. One of the stats in it was like something like seventy five or seventy eight percent of the world's unpaid labor is done by women.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my gosh. I was just listening to a podcast about Blue Zone maintenance Face and they were talking about like, oh, these are the cultures where people are never put in nursing homes, and a lot of those cultures it's because women just do the nursing home stuff. And it's like, yeah, you're talking about because what marks like a culture that has a lot of longevity is if the men live for a long time, because men usually die earlier. And so it was like, well, the men live really long here. But it's like, yeah, because they're using the women as labor, you know, like it's like it's because of women, it's because of women. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you have good points for motherhood, I'm trying to decide, please write in every day. I wonder what I should do with my life in that way, what I think about motherhood all the time, and if I should do it or not.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't know that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Our next segment is.
Speaker 2: Of course, if you think Sienna should be a mother right in, right in?
Speaker 1: Please please, I would love an answer from somebody.
Speaker 2: Our next segment, Yes, this is how to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are on your way to agriculture school.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're on the train on the way to agriculture school.
Speaker 2: Pre Deep shows up and says, hey, can I have that seat?
Speaker 1: Can I have that seat? This reminds me a lot of a movie that I saw recently that there's a lot of like stuff about girls in it, but mainly it's about this like really cool guy who ends up saving these women. He's really good at riding bikes. And also there's another guy who's a pretty bad guy, but like, I get where he's coming from in terms of burning employ alive.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. And in order to get off the train without pret Deep, we are going to give you a few sentences sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Lapata Ladies. Oh, yes, pre Deep, I've seen Lapata Ladies, and I have to say, for centuries the women in this country have been duped. This con is also known as a respectable girl. Yes, now leave me alone. I'm not a respectable girl. I'm getting off this train without you.
Speaker 1: I'm not a respectable girl.
Speaker 2: I'm a tired woman.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Yes, Pretteep, I have seen the film Lapata Ladies. Fun fact, man Jumai, the best character in movie history, was not originally part of the script. She was added much later. Oh that's surprising, because whoa, that's a character who I could see being shoehorned in. But she felt completely natural in it and felt great. And also I don't know how you could have defined Pool's experience without her being like mentored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I guess maybe she was just hanging out with the Ruffians your time the Ruffians. So I love that she had an an older woman mentor. Yeah, yes, prett Deep, I've seen Lapta Ladies, and I'm gonna say to you what Jaya said to that child in one of the scenes early in the film, what are you staring at? I love I really should be allowed to say that to children and babies. Well, I'm still mad at that baby who glared at me on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: I don't remember this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this baby glared at me from a stroller on New Year's Eve because I bumped into my friend who was their nanny, and the baby just kept glaring at me, so then I glared back. We were just looking at each other like.
Speaker 1: That is so rude. Whoa, this is only, Yes, Deep, I have seen the film Lapta Ladies. This is the only or this is only the second movie directed by Kiran Rao Karan who directed it. The woman who directed it, that's like crazy. She literally sayd this is the best movie I've ever seen. So yes, hmmm.
Speaker 2: Per Deep, I've seen Lapata Ladies. You know, my mom tried to marry me off to you, but I said no, don't make me be part of the herd. Mother. I'm not a pack animal. I'm a woman and I'm going to agriculture school.
Speaker 1: Don't make me be part of the herd.
Speaker 2: Mother, mother. That line was great.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I forgot to give a badge for when man Jumai eats the sweet she has something to celebrate. I literally started crying.
Speaker 2: Oh what did I cry?
Speaker 1: In this movie? She finally has something to celebrate and it tastes so nice. Yes, per deep, I have seen the film. I have seen the film Lapata Ladies. The name of the ladies leading ladies are Pool and Pushpa, both are words for flower. But then it turns out that Pushpa's name is actually Jaya, which means success.
Speaker 2: Oh sligh, yeah, Oh my god. That line where the main cop says she's that woman's gonna go far and then his buddy goes, yes, sir, Darra Dune is eight hundred kilometers from here.
Speaker 1: His last thing was so delightful. That was so delightful. I love that. M hm, Well, Leana shall go on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch the film or if you should do anything else with your damn time? What would you say?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, yes, you should watch Lapata Ladies. It was on Netflix for me. That's where I saw it too. Oh. I enjoyed it so much. I had a blast. I had a great time. What you need to make sure you also do is have a full meal, because this movie is going to make you hungry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm gonna say the same, dang thing. I enjoyed this so much, and I think other people would enjoy it so much too. It was so fun, very comedic, and with very good commentary. But it was just it was so enjoyable. I loved this movie. Y can I say?
Speaker 2: Actually, Slade, I.
Speaker 1: Would recommend it Netflix. Leanna, what would you rate the movie?
Speaker 2: I would give Lapate Ladies five blunders out of five. It was so fun and it was two hours long, but not a long two hours. Great acting. We have to speak about how gorgeous these women were. Both the brides, yeah, both Pool and Jaia extremely gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was so fun to watch, and it was so satisfying, and it was sweet and there were heartfelt moments and physical comedy. Oh my god, this movie has everything. Sianna, what would you say?
Speaker 1: Hmmmm? I would give this movie five mondumais out of five. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Ya.
Speaker 1: It's so easy to give movie movies fives now that women are directing them.
Speaker 2: You're crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm not as bothered by stuff.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I actually hate film.
Speaker 1: This has been our episode on the PoTA ladies and shout out to Akha, thank you so much recommending it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Exha, Big Sleigh. We are Tossed Popcorn. We are on social media at tossed Popcorn on Instagram. We're also on Patreon, Patreon, dot com slash toss Popcorn gonna be posting where Yeah. If you want to fill the void during our little hiatus this next month, you can check out our Patreon for bonus episodes. And we will not see you next week because Sienna is on tour.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be out and about baby, bring this mic with me. Not gonna have any room. Too many puppets in a car in full adults. We'll all be in the car.
Speaker 2: My nightmare. If you're in any of the cities where Sienna's touring, go see the show. Okay, Sianna, have a great tour.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you, We love you.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn for more podcasts from my Heart Radio check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I loved the songs in this The songs were so fun with the lyrics, the silly lyrics.
Speaker 1: I don't know, have you?
Speaker 2: Did you see that one of the songs early in the movie included the phrase suited and booted. No so awesome, that's amazed.
Speaker 1: Yes,