Speaker 1: Early cars were mostly joisting vehicles.
Speaker 2: I heard, are you bringing the jousting vehicle?
Speaker 1: I am, Yeah. We're going to charge at each other at ten miles an hour. It's going to be a wild.
Speaker 2: We're going to drive to Sidcup, but we are also going to joust.
Speaker 1: Ye when we get there after ice cream.
Speaker 3: That is super local English humor. But you know you just got to get on board with it. Really, Hello, I'm mini driver. I've always loved Proust's questionnaire. It was originally in nineteenth century parlor game where players would ask each other thirty five questions aimed at revealing.
Speaker 2: The other player's true nature.
Speaker 3: In asking different people the same set of questions, you can make observations about which truths appear to be universal. And it made me wonder, what if these questions were just the jumping off point, what greater depths would be revealed if I asked these quesses as conversation starters. So I adapted Prue's questionnaire and I wrote my own seven questions that I personally think are pertinent to a person's story. They are when and where were you happiest? What is the quality you like least about yourself? What relationship, real or fictionalized, defines love for you? What question would you most like answered? What person, place, or experience has shaped you the most? What would be your last meal? And can you tell me something in your life that's grown out of a personal disaster? And I've gathered a group of really remarkable people, ones that I am honored and humbled to have had the chance to engage with. You may not hear their answers to all seven of these questions. We've whittled it down to which questions felt closest to their experience or the most surprising, or created the most fertile ground to connect. My guest today is the brilliant and gifted musician Gary Lightbody. Gary is the lead singer of the band Snow Patrol, amongst other things. And you may be interested to note that I am also in a band with Gary called Tired Pony, And you can check out the record that we made on the old music streamers if you're so inclined. Gary is a very good friend of mine. So this chat was like most of the ones we have. It was deep and rambling and full of questions and the search for answers and quite a lot of screeching laughter. Gary met the death of his dad with anomenous that spread, and I think it's okay to say was pretty all consuming for a minute. But like all great people and artists who remain interested in pain, he somehow turned that non feeling into feeling and wrote an extraordinary and elegiic album, which came out last September and is Snow Patrol's eighth studio album, entitled The Forest is the Path.
Speaker 2: And it is absolutely beautiful. Where and when were you happiest?
Speaker 1: I'm going to immediately talk about Johnny and Nathan because I could look back in my life and find moments of happiness, of course I can, but I think the most recent one is the most relevant one for me. Anyway. It still feels like it's there's an energy or power emanating from it. And that was when we were making the album. And I'm not just saying that just because we've got an album coming out, but genuinely, it was a long road. We tried to make it last year and it didn't work out, and it's always kind of heartbreaking when you get to the end of a project you realize you haven't got it. You have to kind of regroup. But then we met Fraser T. Smith and the four of us went into his studio in January of this year, and that process was just one of the most extraordinary times in the studio that we've ever had.
Speaker 3: Is it because it was hard and there was heartbreaking about the not making it last year?
Speaker 2: Was it that?
Speaker 3: Or was there some sort of new complicity because a phrase that what was it? Do you think that engendered such happiness?
Speaker 1: It's a very very good point, because perhaps without the contrast, it may not have been quite as starkly wonderful, if that's even a phrase. Frankly, it could have been comparative. You know, for me it still stands alone as a sustained period of happiness in my life.
Speaker 2: How do you recognize happiness?
Speaker 1: I think for me it's because I have run so anxious. When I notice how long it's been since I've been anxious, I started to realize that happiness has taken its place or something contentment, perhaps in a sort of a less high stakes kind of version of happiness. But because happiness can now be ebb and flow, and it can even turn to sadness pretty quickly, but contentment there is a flow to that a continuum to that. If you catch the right view or a surfer you catch the right way, you can write on that for a long time. And it felt like every day we were coming in excited to be in the studio, and Nathan and Johnny Arrow was excited to be together. But it felt like every time they picked up an instrument, something magical happened and I was there to witness it, which doesn't always happen on every album as well. People might think that when a band makes an album, they're in the studio the whole time, every day, but that's not necessarily what happens is sometimes life happens and you've got to be somewhere else, and when you are actually in the studio, it's just to play your parts. But with this period of five weeks with Fraser, the four of us, we were there every day for each other, even if we weren't playing. There's days that I didn't play anything, but I was there to witness Nathan and and Johnny playing pianos and guitars and singing, and it felt very very special and at the end, and this is another indicator I think the last day, I said to Nathan and Johnny I'm really sad that this is finishing. Normally you're excited to go on tour, but on the last day I said, I'm really sad that this is finished, that this is over, and both Nathan and Johnny said you feel the same way. So that feels like a significant period of happiness that I won't forget.
Speaker 3: Wow, God, I think that sustained anything is impossible anyway. I think it's why I like this question is even though some people interestingly bulk at the idea you know that happiness is an endgame, it's not really what the question is. It's really what is a snapshot of a moment of joy? Because it's all moments, right, Even though things like anxiety feel like they are permanent, there actually is no status even within that, so it's constantly shifting and changing. I love that snapshot of you guys going into the studio and of it not just being a day that we were happy, but every day we showed up to create was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they will quote by the Buddha there is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path, and it's sort of referenced in the album title as well. The forest is the path. It's okay to be lost. And I was so afraid to be lost in my life or focused on the destination and not the journey. And you know, I think that happiness or that state of happiness only really occurs whenever you let go of the destination. For me, anyway, I couldn't agree.
Speaker 2: With you more.
Speaker 3: There's some version when I think about achieving happiness, which sounds a bit like an oxymoron, and I might be the more on them. I think you've got to set the coordinates for happiness, like you set those coordinates and then you have to let you have to let it go or whatever it is. You have to set those coordinates and then let it go and be in that journey towards it. And I often get stuck by halfway through the journey, or if I don't know, if I'm halfway through the journey, I'm like, well, it just hasn't happened yet or arrived yet, and I'm not there. I'm so annoyed I'm not there. And someone brilliant called Esther Hicks said.
Speaker 2: Once she was like, you know, when you're in a.
Speaker 3: Car journey from like Los Angeles to San Francisco, when you get halfway you know, like Monterey or Big sur You don't just get pissed off that you're not in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: You turn around and go home.
Speaker 2: Idiots, you carry on.
Speaker 3: And I think about that a lot, like set your coordinates and then get on the bus or the train or the plane or the jousting car and just get on with it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, I love that accord. And it's also there's a certain amount of detachment from those corders once they're set exactly exactly, And I think that I was always like, you know, if I take my eye off there where I'm going, then I'll get lost and not realizing it's okay to be lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's okay to be lost. What question would you most like answered.
Speaker 1: Well, I missed the opportunity to tell my dad quite a lot of things. By the time I realized I'd run out of time to talk to him, he was well and to advance dementia. So I would like to know if there is an after for us, and if he's there, and if I'll get to meet him again and have those conversations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like that too. By the way, I would like to know that do you ever feel and I know that it's more recent for you. And I understand the process of grief is wayward and personal and it is not subject to any rules whatsoever as far as I've experienced. But if it's not too personal, do you have conversations with him? I know that a huge amount of this beautiful album is voicing feelings and speaking things and shouting things out to your dad and at yourself and ruminating, and it is a beautiful meditation on all of those things. But do you ever converse with him, even if you can't hear what he says back.
Speaker 1: The answer to that is no, not really, I'm afraid too. Hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand that, I really do. But like we said before, maybe it's coordinatece. Maybe that is something that you really do live the answer to you get to that place. I can't, for the longest time talk to my mother in my heart or my head.
Speaker 2: And now I'm.
Speaker 3: Essentially writing a book that begins with a conversation I had with her after she died. So I think there's a journey with that.
Speaker 2: I really do, for sure.
Speaker 1: There's a book of mind coming out that is about Yeah, but writing it done is for me. It's like it's not perhaps it is having a conversation with them, but it did not take place out loud. Yeah, and I think that's where I fell downe actually making the signed the sound words are.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: When your parent is dead and there are things that you didn't say or that they didn't say to you, there is simply no way of having the conversation which we would like to have, which is with them sitting opposite us, where we get to everything and then they get say everything to us. But as you and I both exist in this space on the other side of our parent is dead, now you know, what do we do with those questions?
Speaker 2: In the absence of the answers? What do we do?
Speaker 3: And I think you're doing exactly the most beautiful, amazing thing a person could do, which is that you're using it as fuel to make something that you offer up to people that they will love and enjoy and will probably bring them enormous comfort.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and you're doing the same. I cannot wait to read your book. Your first book was an absolute triumph and one of my favorite books for the last ten years. As I've told you, thank you y. The thing that I think we can do with these questions is ask each other. Yeah, which we do, And I'm very lucky to have people like that in our lives, to have incredible conversations with. I know you have lots of great people in your life and can keep them alive, keep their energy in our lives. I don't know what I would do without that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think it's also asking questions without the expectation of an answer. I think that should be called something else. Yeah, it shouldn't be called a question.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: There should be another word for the things that you want from your dead parents once they're dead. There should be another way of expressing that. But you're right, talking to each other does help.
Speaker 1: I think you're absolutely right. There's perhaps no answers, but the answer is in the feeling seen. I think, Yeah, you know, I don't expect anyone to fix the things in my life, just that feeling of being seen. I don't want to offer anybody any advice that they don't ask for. Any advice I ever give is given with the caveat. Please, for God's sake, ignore this.
Speaker 2: Ignore what I'm back to say. But you.
Speaker 1: Don't have lost two.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me what person, place, or experience most altered your life, and.
Speaker 1: Back to where I started, I think this conversation. But Johnny and Nathan, I think have been the two people that have altered my life the most, two people that I've loved being around the most and also learned the most from and do constantly.
Speaker 2: Did you guys meet in Scotland.
Speaker 1: No, Nathan's been in the band since two thousand and two and Johnny's been with us from two thousand and nine. But it's so interesting we've had conversations like this before, the three of us, where we're like, those times don't mean anything. It's like we always knew each other. We just did. We always knew each other. There was no time. I can't think of a time that I didn't know them. We've been through a lot, you know, over the years together, and there's been times where we weren't going great with the band, great interpersonally, and we got through all those things with some amounts of grace actually, and I feel very proud of how we've sort of grown together and become this trio that we are now. Obviously with great love and respect and reverence to everyone that has been in the band as well, especially Johnny Quinn and Paul Wilson who most recently left the band, but with our admiration and love and joy for everything that they do in the future. But when that happens, when people leave, you have to decide whether you want to continue. A question was already answered. It was like, do we want to keep going? Yes, of course, but it's how do we keep going? That's that's the more difficult question to answer, because we want to also make the most important record of your life. Every time you make a record or else why And we just had this strong, strong feeling that in the answering of the hearty we continue was the answer to the importance of the record, and so well, this is how we continue. We put everything that we have into this record, just like we've always done. So the people I'm going to go with Johnny and Nathan. Final answer, final answer, my final answer. I mean, I know it's not really part of the question. It's kind of like an either or thing, but Banger my hometown, m it is really important to me. I love that place so much.
Speaker 3: Gary lived on Ocean Boulevard in Santa Monica for a long time and I loved him being just down the road.
Speaker 2: It really is just sort of.
Speaker 3: How you'd imagine a California dream of, just like looking at him with the Pacific Ocean and the swinging palm trees and the sunshine and the Art Deco buildings in Santa Monica and making music and getting acupuncture and hanging out. And then Gary moved back to Bangor And I've got to say, I've never heard a person eulogize about a place where I know for a fact that it is cold and it rains a lot, and yet Gary talks about bang of the way that most people talk about California. And Gary lived in California, which always makes me really happy. And know that you love where you're from, and I can't wait to visit you there. I can't believe I've never been there, but I'll come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please do come over Beplaslack is right on my doorstep and Forrest is right on my doorstep on one side. So I've got the sea on one side of forest on the other. And every time I walk in the forest, I feel renewed. I don't feel that everywhere, but I'm so glad to have refound my home. Yeah, you know, like that quote. Home is not where we are born. Home is where all our attempts to escape cease. Sorry, And you know it's funny because it is where I was born, and yet I tried to escape, And what happened is I was only temporarily escaping. What I was really, what I was really waiting for, was to come back and realize that this was where I was supposed to be all along.
Speaker 2: What would be your last meal?
Speaker 1: Well, I can keep it in banger as everybody that I knew, you had to set meal on a certain night. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You would have on Monday with sausages. Tuesday was Shepherd's Park.
Speaker 1: Wednesday Shepherd's Power. Yeah, exactly, exactly. Well, I got most excited about spaghetti Bolonnes night.
Speaker 3: But that's that spaghetti bolonnaise, Like that's quite sort of Mediterranean, of like your mom or dad?
Speaker 2: Who have cooked it?
Speaker 1: Was my mom? Yeah? My dad did not so much, but he did make greats Sudar breads as we call him. Yeah, he would make those of a Sunday every night and again, so I'd have that too.
Speaker 3: Most importantly, what night was spaghetti Bolonnes? Was it Wednesday?
Speaker 1: No? I think it was Thursday, but it's the meal itself. I make a spaghetti bolonees night, and I'll make it for my mom and my sister and my niece, and my mum will makes spaghetti malonnaise. I'm able to contribute to the passing of the spaghetti bawl nace. So we don't have a family heirloom, but we have.
Speaker 2: Thursday.
Speaker 3: That's a good legacy. Oh, I love that. Oh I make a mean spaghetti bolonnaise. I'm going to make you spagetti borones next time.
Speaker 1: Then well, I will return that. This is the continuation the ceremonial spaghetti ballnas.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you ever have When I was younger, I went to someone's house. I'm going to they can remain nameless, but they put baked beans in the spaghetti polonnaise. What And I couldn't eat it? And I remember the mother looking at me, going why aren't you eating it? And I was like, I'm not hungry, and she's like, he said that you were hungry before. Why aren't you eating the spaghetti bolonnaise? And she kept pushing me until I eventually went because there's beans in it, and she was like she of course there's beans spaghetti bollidais, at which point I was like, I'm in a mad house. I need to just get out of here as soon as possible. But I was only like seven, so I'm interested if anyone's ever come across that.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of beans in a spaghetti.
Speaker 3: B I'm really glad that will die with her.
Speaker 2: So she won't be listening.
Speaker 3: Okay, in your life, can you tell me about something that has grown out of a personal disaster and you're not allowed to say all.
Speaker 1: Of it.
Speaker 2: Being borned?
Speaker 1: God, I hope that people don't think that I'm sort of trying to like just tie everything to the new album. I'm really not. We don't have to talk about the album itself, but yeah, passing. There was a year where I was numb, completely numb, and then a year almost to the day, I read this roomy poem and it just unlocked everything and I just burst into tears, uncontrollable, like Charlie Brian shooting out of the eye tears. And then the next day the numbness had lifted and I started writing in earnest and I wrote a song about my dad, obviously perhaps, But then the second song I wrote was a song called These Lies, which is actually on the new album. The first song appeared by my dad. It was the poem really, and then I put music to it, but it sort of flowed out of the pen. Was mean, you know yourself. There's days when you're standing at a blank page and nothing comes, and then in other days when it's almost as if you're not you have no control of the pen. It's just automatic writing, and I'm just trying to stay out of the way of it, like I have the pen attached to the page and the words will appear.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 2: The roomy quote is there is a field.
Speaker 1: There is a field out there beyond all right doing and wrongdoing. I'll meet you there. That's right. That was the key that the dawn broke.
Speaker 3: I remember after one of our walks, because Gary and I go on really long walks together and talk about things. I wrote that quote down and it's on my desk in England where I write, like where I'm writing my book, and I have it there. I've also got like a dollar sign drawn on a person. I've got to make some money, I've got to keep a fucking ship going. But then I've also got that roomy quote that I wrote down when I came back from our walk, and I love it so much. And I also love the fact that it's next to my dollar sign, which always makes me feel like this world is made up of so much that is practical, that we're forced to be practical about things, but it also what exists is this beautiful poetry that is out beyond all of it, and it's okay. It's okay that all that fucking shit lives alongside all of that grace and beauty. It is okay because I felt really sheepish when I put it next to the dollar sign, and now I actually love it and it makes me feel like, really, what radical.
Speaker 2: Humaning looks like.
Speaker 3: It's like it's spinach in your teeth and dollar signs that you need to be reminded of, and it's finally being able to cry over your dead dad, and it's about making something beautiful that from that. Like, I know how agonizing it is to lose a parent, and this record is just a testament to so much love and light that he had to have had a hand in making you.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Gary, I'm so proud of this record for you.
Speaker 3: I hope that it was really healing, and I bet you he can hear it, you know.
Speaker 1: Thanks Mary, Babe.
Speaker 3: Always always I'll take a picture of my dollar sign and the roomy quote and then you can chuckle or whenever you're thinking about that I'm taking anything seriously whatsoever or getting anything done.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love those two together. It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Tarn and love you so much, and thank you so much for this. Really, your fans are going to love it anyway.
Speaker 2: I'm really grateful.
Speaker 3: Mini Questions is hosted and written by Me Mini Driver, executive produced by Me and Aaron Kaufman, with production support from Jennifer Bassett, Zoe Denkler, and Ali Perry.
Speaker 2: The theme music is also by Me and additional music by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Jim Nikolay Addison, O'Day, Henry Driver, Lisa Castella, a, Nick Oppenheim, A, Nick Muller and Annette wolf A, WKPR, Will Pearson, Nikki Ito, Morgan, Lavoie and Mangesh had Ticke Adore