Speaker 1: It is Thursday, April third. This is Jackuars Happy Hour.
Speaker 2: Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by dream Finders' Homes and now a guy who's final four is Bourbon, Brisket, beer and Bourbon Jaypa the Killer Bees Welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour. We've got a busy hour ahead. We always say that, but still's stuff going on. This week we will review the NFL Annual Meeting and milk it for all it's worth. We've been doing it all week long. The offseason program is on deck. Starting next week, Veterans can come into the building for strength and conditioning and we are three weeks from today to the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Jaguars Happy Hours presented by dream Finders Homes, official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. On Tintin x l a M, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. JP Shadwick reunited with our good friend Jeff Logo. It good after dude, afternoon, JP. How you been I'm great? Yeah, great, welcome back. Yeah, it feels good to be back. I've been gone for so long. I didn't I didn't recognize you when you walked I know, right, I'm all clean shaven. Now you've got a haircut, you know, fresh as daisy. Yeah, I else see you need to know.
Speaker 1: That's that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all we need. I had had a nice week off, though, I guess it was kind of all right, Hey, you're on health and Wellness day. Mental, Yeah, okay, physical, mental, all the above. I need a lot of those mental health days, rack them up, uh plenty to get to of course, we'll hear from James Gladstone GM of the Jaguars. Caught up with John believe you haven't even mentioned the draft yet.
Speaker 1: I just I.
Speaker 2: Literally just said three weeks to the NFL, right, I know, but that's attention to the open. But you just threw it, like rushed it aside, like it's not even a main story, like the league meetings down in what was it, Palm Beach was a bigger story than the draft that's coming up in Green Bay because it.
Speaker 1: Just happened, and there's quotes out of it, and.
Speaker 2: I know, but it was it's a lot of fluff. Yeah, And we went through the some of the rules change potential rule changes a couple of weeks ago, and uh, and I was kind of chuckling when when some of the announcements were made of some of these changes that happened. But I mean, at the end of the day, I mean, right now, the lifeblood of every franchise is the draft. The draft talk should be paramount every single day, Like number won't care if there's a league owners meeting tomorrow. Again, what about Okay, well what about next week? Off season program? First year head coach, new staff, establishing the culture. I mean, it's raizing the floor of the team, the whole deal. I mean, the ecosystem a win. Are they going to win games next week?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, if it does go well, that's not a first impressions. Look report, it's gonna make headlines because it's a big deal.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You know, the first time the players get to be with the coaches, it's awesome, it's great. But the reality is, you want to get this team better, get better players, and what's going to happen in a couple of weeks in Green Bay That's what matters most. James Gladstone and his guys and the coaching staff, they need to be on point that moment happens at Green Bay and they're on the phone and they're on the clock. That's where this team gets better right then and there. That's where they've got to be on time. And I'm looking forward to it. I mean I've been like, how for I mean, yeah, you must sounds like you are. Well, I'm looking forward to it because look, this organization has what's the right word.
Speaker 1: I can think of a lot of words, but.
Speaker 2: It has fallen short in April many times, many times, and there's been many a April's where after the draft happened, you're like, yeah, that was a good draft, and then I'll say that though, well, I mean everybody does. You're right, everybody does. But it matters when year one and year two and year three are completed, and then you go, oh, how did we do? I mean, I'll never forget you go back, you know, to many Jaguar drafts and you felt good about it. But at the conclusion of year three, which is kind of your gauge of whether or not a draft was successful or not, at the end of year three you were like, one.
Speaker 1: Very good, We're drafted again to take the place of this guy we drafted.
Speaker 2: Well, no, then they go into free agency in the next couple of years and spend a bunch of money because they weren't drafting very well, well, here's your chance. This is your chance to right the ship and to get it right as an organanization, and this April draft is where it has to start. James Gladstone's got to be on point. It reminds me a lot of like college football recruiting. Never in the history of college football has there been a bad recruiting class. Just ask the school who did it. Of course, I mean they're all geniuses. But I mean it's look, it's uh, it's all part of the campaign. I mean, it's it's all part of the positivity. And look, that's the great thing about the off seasons. I mean, if everybody's undefeated and hope spring's eternal. But I mean you've got to have the Jimmy's and the Johosh Okay, well let's you know for the simple Well, we'll push Lei'll talk about any draft stuff at all.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna talk about it right now.
Speaker 2: We're going to push Leam Cohen's comments that you don't care about apparently from this watched the whole interview. Well good, I mean, but some people listening might not have heard some of this, so we're going to have some of this a little bit later. By the way, season program, I will say this, I do enjoy listening to both Liam Cohen and and Gladstone. I think, you know, because there's been a lot made about how good of a communicator James Gladstone is, but Liam Cohen is an excellent communicator as well. I enjoy listening to what he has to say. And uh, and by the way, when's the first episode of The Hunt coming out today? I've been I've gotten all these teasers today today tonight, seven o'clock awesome. Yeah, wait, don't have a teaser coming up on this show. It'll be because I've been seeing all these teasers on Jaguars dot com and I like when I'm hearing so far and I'm just sitting there going, I can't When is the first episode coming out?
Speaker 1: Seven o'clock Jaguars YouTube tonight. Can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'll be watching it tonight and unprecedented access outstanding. It should be great. We'll have a teaser of that coming up. The Jaguars have the number five pick in the NFL draft. For now, forget you got some inte. No, I have no insight whatsoever. But I'm a big believer. I know that James Gladstone said that he's a big believer in acquiring more draft capital and always having as much draft capital as you possibly can. They've got now, just to preface this, they do have the most draft picks this year and next year.
Speaker 1: Of any team in the league.
Speaker 2: Great, great, let's get more, get some more, just more, get some more. If there's a way that you can trade back from five, I would love to see this team trade back from five.
Speaker 1: How far down are you going?
Speaker 2: I'll go down in the teams. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: You still need a player that can co produce now, and if you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can get that, you can get that. You can absolutely get that if you go down into the teams. But I mean, here, here's here's why I really think that this draft. It has a couple of quarterbacks and a couple I mean elite players at the top, and then those quarterbacks elite players. No, we're not, They're just quarterbacks, all right, you know. Caleb Williams was an elite quarterback prospect. Trevor Lawrence was an elite quarterback prospect. Cam Ward and should Hear Sanders are not in that category the quarterbacks that a lot of teams need quarterbacks. Now, cam Ward makes some froze that are special, I mean special, but the total body of work is not anywhere near Caleb Williams or Trevor Lawrence in my opinion, he does some things that you go what are you thinking? What are you doing? And should her Sanders have some of the same moments, and I think at times ball placement an issue with him. Trying to extend to play too often is an issue with him. But Abdull Carter from Penn State and Travis Hunter from Colorado, I mean, you're you're talking cream of the crop. So you take those two guys and then the two quarterbacks, and then after that, I think there's a lot of guys that are very closely rated. And the Jaguars picked fifth. So in theory, if those four are gone, do you try to trade back. I would like to see them to try to trade back. Is there somebody after that though, that a team would be willing to trade up for. That's the big question, you know, And I mean maybe they trade for one of those top four guys. Now, if a quarterback slides back somehow, some way. Could that end up being a possibility of the Jaguars maybe orchestrat in the trade. Maybe the quarterback is always something that allows people to be a willing trade possibility. The offensive line prospects, there's some really good ones.
Speaker 1: I think you've got.
Speaker 2: If you were back into the teams, or even move back a couple of spots, you've got an opportunity to pick up a really good offensive line, really good defensive lineman. I think the big guys in this draft. It's a good draft. Wide receivers. I don't think you'd be in a market for the wide receiver in the first round anyway. Mason Graham like him, like him solid, A lot.
Speaker 1: Of people like him. He's mocked everywhere.
Speaker 2: Great hands, I mean, and that's the guy that you've seen mocked with the Jaguars another place. And I like him. The only thing I think he's got some limitations his length. He's done have great length. Not a great pass rusher, great football player though, can great hands, great uh taking on the blocks, does all that stuff really well. But he's in he is He in the category of Abdul Carter, Travis Hunter, Oh no, if he if he was if he picked in the top four, I don't think he is, you know, but I like him, don't.
Speaker 1: Get me wrong. But if you trade back and pick him.
Speaker 2: Up, yeah, well if you like him, I don't think you'd get him by trading back. I think it's an interest. It's an interesting question, and I would love to know what they're thinking is about a Mason Graham or a lot of teams, what their thought process is with a Mason Graham very high floor. But I think the question with him is is how high is the ceiling? I mean, because when you're in that top five, you're looking for intangibly rich, great football players right right to use James's term, he's a great football player and tangible's off the chart. Is he a game changer? I think that's a question that when you're drafting in the top five, you're looking for somebody that's a game changer. And I'm not saying he is, and I'm not saying he's not. But is he in that Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter category a game changer? How about Tyler Warren? Penn State tight end jack of all trades does a million things well, but he's a tight end. You got a good tight end. And Brenton Strange he signed two guys in free agent teammates in college, by the way, So I like him? Do I like him at five?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a lot of good offensive linemen too. There are who do you like amongst the offensive line besides the guy at Alabama.
Speaker 1: Oh Booker guard? Yeah, it's hard to not like him.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Will Campbell is the one that kind of issue. Everybody has thrown his name up high and all these mock drafts, And I'll be honest with you, I did at LSU game this year. I didn't study the offensive line too hard. Armand Membo Membo Missouri guy. Yeah, super athletic right tackle at college. Is he going to be a tackle in the pros? Is he going to be a guard?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be interesting to see where they view some of these eyes from positional aspect, because a lot of these guys that were college tackles. The draft knicks are kind of forecasting some of these guys as interior offensive alignement.
Speaker 1: Question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can draft them high, doesn't mean they're going to start, they can go compete and maybe, but they've got the left tackle Walker Little under contract, well, not necessarily left tackle, he's under contracts under alignment, a decent sized contract, a decent sized contract. But JP, the left guard's got a decent sized contract. I'm here to tell you that that contract doesn't say that you're going to be given a spot. That's not what I'm saying. But I'm just saying the finances of what we're dealing with here, right, which is a very fair contract. I mean with with Walker Little, I mean it's a it's a it's a good contract, But that contract doesn't say he's my starting left tackle. But you'd be comfortable with him as a swing guy in theory. Well i'd like to not to be paying on that much swiss whole argument. But I mean, let him compete somewhere, guard tackle wherever.
Speaker 1: I mean play.
Speaker 2: Competition is the best thing on the planet. More competition, better performance out of everybody. Let's come back in a moment. We can talk draft a little more later. We got to get to this the annual meetings, and we're gonna hear from the heaven.
Speaker 1: Let me say this just real quick.
Speaker 2: If if Abdul Carter or Travis Hunter fall to the Jaguars somehow at five run to the Mike Perkins had better have that card brought up to the podium like that in Green Bay, and he better have those cards filled out already in advance, because you know, Perk's that guy.
Speaker 1: He's the guy who in the car.
Speaker 2: Those two guys are on a whole different level than a lot of these other players. And there's some really good football players, don't get me wrong. Those two guys though, I'm talking Micah Parsons. And the biggest question about Travis Hunter is is he going to be an elite wide receiver an elite defensive back? Take his pick. He can be both.
Speaker 1: I'd be both. We're back at a moment. We'll take a look at the offseason program coming up next week on ten to XXL, Jaguars dot COmON Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 2: This is Jaguars Happy Out.
Speaker 3: It's great to be intangibly curious, as our fan base might be labeled at this point, but intangibly rich. I think we can all get to a place that even in our own minds, it means somewhat of the same thing. When we're looking at on field intangibles. It's things like competitiveness, toughness, and even instincts and nuances of each skill that is offered up at each position. Off the field, you're looking about, you know, how much passion does somebody have for the game itself as well as what are they like as a team might and a person off the field, And so those are things that we gauge and really lean into as a part of our decision making process. It's really where we start at each point of player acquisition. But you know, we got to remain agile at the same time and be open to, you know, a number of options. But at the end of the day, yes, it's rooted in intangibles and that's something that we'll keep as our north star as we round out this first off season.
Speaker 2: That's James glad So of course Jaguars GM with John Osher at the NFL Annual Meeting earlier this week. The owners Meeting is a full conversation at Jaguars dot com. Jaguars Football is presented by a fresh from Florida. It's always in season, JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman. We're at the Hyundai studios at the Miller Electric Center on tentinxl, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. Intangibly curious is what he called osher there, which is pretty pretty funny line from the GM. I really like, though, how he You know, everybody's been kind of wondering to summer extent, what what does intangibly rich mean you? And I think he did a pretty good job of spelling a little bit of it out. I kind of wonder too, because when when you get to encounter a lot of these prospects that you're considering drafting or even signing as undrafted free agents, there's a lot of information that you acquire on film and physicals and all that other stuff. I just wonder how much that they're investing in I don't want to say private eyes, but in really researching the background of these players, because you know, jp when when these guys go to a meeting at the combine, they're they're prepped, they're prepped, they're they're taught how to handle themselves, how to conduct themselves by their agents, and but you know, what you really want to find out is how these people are when they're not being interviewed and when they're walking around, how they are with their teammates, how they are with staff, how they are with their family. I mean, you want to know as much as you possibly can because you're getting ready to make millions of dollars of investments, millions into these players, and you want to make sure that you make the right decisions and the scouts are involved in that. The local area scout scouts should be able to have great lines of communication. And if you have scouts that have not fostered great relationships in their area, and find somebody that can be around, right, I mean, because that is part of the job of finding out the true the true use of these players, you know. So I would hope that there's a great emphasis put into that because we have not done a good job, a good enough job as an organization in the past of with some of that stuff. I mean, we had a draft picked a couple of years ago that we drafted in the US around a corner out of Florida that when he got drafted, you would assume that the kid didn't even want to play here.
Speaker 1: That reaction on the couch at his house.
Speaker 2: And that once he got here you would have assumed that he didn't want to play then either. Henderson and then he didn't want to play when he got traded either. He's been heard a little bit, make a couple of phone calls. You could have found that out.
Speaker 1: That was a rough one. That was a rough one. There's others. We can go back.
Speaker 2: We can go back in history if we want. We've got a few more. We got our surrounders. Thirty eight minutes left in the show. It might not be enough time.
Speaker 1: For all those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vet them, vet them, vet them, vet them, spend the resources. Look, when you have a phone plan, JP, you're not getting charged by the minute anymore. No, really, Okay, may you got the unlimited plan?
Speaker 1: Amazing?
Speaker 2: Okay, make sure your scouts have the unlimited plan so they can make all the phone calls that they need to make. By the way, you remember when you had to like stop piled minutes and you had the family plan and you had to like combined minutes. I remember paying a dollar ninety a minute for selling your one, and then they had they charged you by the text message, whether you got it or or said it, you were getting charged Like I didn't get I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Sent to me.
Speaker 2: I get five cents a text message.
Speaker 1: What do you guys?
Speaker 2: Just crazy crazy for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, you got unlimited plans now, so that Scout utilize that service. Excited find out all you can.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a rotary phone? Probably when you were a kid.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, when I was a kid. But yeah, I mean it was what you knew, man, that's just what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Remember the first cordless phone we had in the house. It was like, oh wow, this thing has an antenna on it. You'll walk around it. I'll never forget my first cell your phone. It was by I had a plan from cell you or one, and I was with the Jets at the time, and and so I got this thing in just in case, you know, something happened. And it was in a bag like like literally like a like a kind of a shoebox size cloth bag, and it literally was you had to pay like I think it was like eighty bucks a month or something like that, and then you had to pay like a dollar ninety a minute. So it was like, hey, man, I'll be there in five minutes. Right, You're looking at your stop watch or something, you know, and making sure you were hanging up before you had you know, too many minutes on.
Speaker 1: There, but I mean, anyway, pretty wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, use those minutes, you got them, They're unlimited vet these players. I'm glad that that Johnny Ozone sat down with James Gladstone.
Speaker 1: They stood up technically, but yes, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. I like it. It's good. It's a good conversation. We had it the other day on jags Aam. We could check it out there or on Jaguars dot com or Jaguars YouTube as it stands by itself. And uh, I'm sure I would guess at some point next week maybe there could be some more availability with the off season program about to get underway. And then at some point, I'm sure there's gonna be a like a draft, probably a pre draft lunching, whatever you want to call it. You know, usually it's out so we can find out exactly who they're gonna take. They're gonna give us all the answers and then feed us a sandwich. Yeah, they're not gonna give much information, but i mean, look at you know, now's the time I think we're between because what how how many days away is the draft? For it's literally one day because it's three weeks away and between now and.
Speaker 1: In that night.
Speaker 2: This is this is what you call the rumor period, right, this is where a lot of misinformation gets spread. Yeah, so everything that you hear from now until then, take it with a grain of salt. You think it's BS, not necessarily BS, but it's yeah. I mean there's a there's a lot of maneuvering and all the different mock drafts that are coming out, and then people are going to plant little ideas and information and different media members. Look, there's personality.
Speaker 1: You might be doing it right now with Mason Graham might be oh he's not good.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe you're trying to, like, you know, maybe be stealthy, loud the Jaguars to fall back a couple of spots and them because maybe you're playing, you're planting the seed. You're part of the system. I like the idea of getting more picks. I've always been a big fan of accumulating picks because the reality is is that the draft it is a numbers game. Your accuracy of making the right pick is not great. So the more picks you have, the better chance you have of making a right pick.
Speaker 1: But if just a guy up there you really want just get it.
Speaker 2: Who would you jp if you had your choice, you were picking number one.
Speaker 1: Overall, I'm going Travis Hunter. Travis Hunter. I think he's that dynamic.
Speaker 2: Where would you play him?
Speaker 1: I mean for this team.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this before and I haven't gotten your thoughts on it. So and I'm going both ways on it, because you could use cornerback play on this team right in a number of different ways, even though with the free agent you signed and some things you have. I mean, if you put that guy out on one side and call that a day, I think, or you put him at receiver full time and then bring him in in a certain.
Speaker 1: Packages on defense, I think you can do it both ways. Yeah, you could.
Speaker 2: But the problem is if he gets hurt, you lose two players. Correct, You're losing two positions, Yeah, which is not good. So that's the scary part of what this is. But when he's out there, ball skills, speed, dynamic, got his head on his shoulders. I mean, he's got everything you want, so I would and if it were me, and it's just this is me, it's hard to.
Speaker 1: Pass that up.
Speaker 2: And you're playing them on defense for the most part, maybe say we'll see you know, I don't know. It's great, it's a great enough. It's a great debate. You know, there's how much do you let him drive it and be like, I want to do everything. I don't know about that. An NFL game typically consists about sixty five plays for each team, right, offensively, right, So you can't expect him to play, you know, one hundred and twenty to one hundred and thirty snaps a game.
Speaker 1: So he did the Colorado more than that more plays.
Speaker 2: I don't think college football has that many snaps, do they They well, they used to that a whole lot more, and so they changed the clock rule a couple of years ago. The clock runs on and maybe that is the case. But I mean, I just can't imagine a player with standing one hundred and thirty snaps a game. I just can't see that. And on top of that, you're what what does that do to the longevity of the player if he's taking that number of snaps? All a great argument it's more physical in the NFL and theory in the NFL, right, yes, it is. The theory it is. It's a tough one. It's because you want your best guy out there. Yeah, he's he's a.
Speaker 1: He's a great player.
Speaker 2: And it's amazing to me that you literally that there is a debate about a player. I mean, because look all the great two way players that have been in the bo Jackson, you know, played offense. Uh well, but I mean dual sport guy, right, Dion sand you know, and which one was he gonna do? Right, Okay, Dion Sanders, Okay, returner, defensive back. Little packages that he had on offense, Okay, they were great. But there I don't think there's ever been You probably got to go way back, way way back to find somebody that had a legitimate it was a legitimate two way football player offense and defense. I mean, just nobody's ever really done that in modern day era.
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean you're gonna go back to like Chuck Bignerik probably right, right. I mean, Charles Woodson was special teams, but he was a defense you know, But there was nobody that was true there. Well, there hasn't been anybody in the modern era of football the Super Bowl receiver. Yeah, but it was limited and it was later, it was very limited. But there's nobody been in the I don't think in the Super Bowl era through been been both ways, starting on defense, starting on offense. They've kept expanding the rosters and the whole thing. Yeah, interesting, interesting, Let's come back. I prom but I like your I like your pick. I mean, he's he is special, and he loves ball, loves ball, and he's got some of the best ball skills on the defensive side or the offensive side, some of the best ball skills I've ever seen of anybody. Wide receiver, defensive back, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: And stakes can break on it the whole season game. Let's come back.
Speaker 2: I promise we're gonna hear from Liam Cohen. Okay, I'm gonna make it a point to run these Liam Cohen clips when we come back, because that's what you want to hear. You want to hear about the off season program next week, I.
Speaker 1: Want to hear.
Speaker 2: I want to hear this football team is gonna win, all right. We want to hear how this team is going to organize and execute. Well, maybe what an answer We'll come Okay, you'll hear that coming up the new seasons right around the corner. Get those twenty twenty five season ticket memberships now at Jaguars dot com, slash tickets or called nine oh four six three three two thousand on ten TONIGHTXL Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. It's Jaguars Happy Hour energy.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the first thing when we're really trying to place to just feel guys like, this is good stuff.
Speaker 1: It's great to be back.
Speaker 4: We're doing football.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: How many of us get to do this. We get an opportunity to do this every single day. There's so many that don't. And so how are we going to approach this thing? I think they'll walk into that kind of feeling and you know.
Speaker 1: We'll meet.
Speaker 4: We'll just do meetings obviously throughout phase one introducing our systems while we at the same time start to introduce our culture, the way that we're going to be, the way the we're going to talk to each other, the way that we're going to communicate with each other, how we're gonna treat one another. That'll go hand in hand with the systems.
Speaker 2: Is Liam Cohen at the ANC Coaches Breakfast at the NFL Annual Meeting earlier this week down in Palm Beach at the Breakers and welcome back, it is Jaguars Happy Hour. The twenty twenty five season at Daily's Place continues in May, Teddy Swims, May Temp tem Payne, May thirty, First, plenty more.
Speaker 1: In June and July.
Speaker 2: June especially busy tickets at Dailyesplace dot com and show information as well throughout the spring and summer.
Speaker 1: The question to Liam Cohen there JP.
Speaker 2: Shadwick, Jeff Logwan on Jaguars Happy Hour, by the way, was a what do players expect next week when they come back in the building for the first time, maybe the first time for the off season program. It's the first opportunity for Cohen and the coaching staff and the strength and conditioning staff who will have them on the field to really get in front of these guys.
Speaker 1: So that's the answer.
Speaker 2: How how important is this first impression for Liam Cohen and the staff. Well, I think it's important. But then you know the other thing too that you just brought up about the strength and conditioning staff, which, oh, by the way, that's new. They're new too, That is new. So there's a lot of new when the players walk into the building and uh, which can be a great thing. And part of that newness is also going to be that everybody is starting from ground zero. Everybody has an opportunity, you know, making a strong first impression and building relationships as everybody's moving forward, and it's it's incredibly important that the culture begins to be established that very first moment, and anything less than the acceptable culture ways are not okay. And so I think it's going to be a very important day. But it's something that has to be built every day. It's not something that Okay, hey guys, here's how we're gonna be. All right, let's all march and we're good.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a daily process that has to continue to be reinforced.
Speaker 1: And that's for years.
Speaker 2: That's not just one year, and a work ethic and a level of expectation of look, this is where we are gonna be, okay, anything less is unacceptable. I mean, those are the things that need to be established from the very early on days and the moments that you have. But again, it has to be consistently and reoccurring positively enforced all the time. It's not a sum of the time thing. It's an all the time thing. By the way, the off season program yes begins officially April eighth. The league announced all the off season dates officially for every team Earlier today. So the first day for the jag is April eighth. They it can begin April seventh, but the Jaguars will be in April eighth. Voluntary mini camp, which I know you love those in the off season logs your your history of voluntary camps April twenty first through twenty.
Speaker 1: Three, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't mind them.
Speaker 1: I know, well, I'm going back to your history as a player.
Speaker 2: Well, that wasn't That was not a voluntary mini.
Speaker 1: Camp that I was not at that voluntary.
Speaker 2: That was no, it was a voluntary early report date to training camp.
Speaker 1: That's what we had.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about, after we had twenty voluntary days already in the off season. It was voluntary though.
Speaker 1: Anyway. NFL Draft April twenty fourth through twenty six.
Speaker 2: Phase two April twenty eighth for the Jaguars, OTAs in May, a number of days there, that's Phase number three, and then mandatory mini camp in June June ten, eleven, and twelve. It'll be interesting to see kind of what you know you've seen in the past to where you have all of these voluntary days in the off season and then all of a sudden you get to the mini camp and you're like hey, and all of a sudden they don't have it. Well, that's what happened with Doug Peterson, right if he had good attendance throughout the off season, then he would just go ahead and bang the mandatory one, or let the only the rookies have to come, or whatever veterance come. I was never a fan of canceling the mini camp because I understand what Doug's kind of goal was, is that to allow the players to have a mental and physical break so that they're fresh when they come back. But there's ways to keep the players in a fresh way throughout the whole off season. There's times that you can give them breaks or time off, But if you're giving them the time off at the mandatory mini camp, that's the most allowable or the fewest restricts on what you can and can't do in all of the off season. Yes, so if you're gonna if you're gonna bypass something or to not do something, don't make it the one that has the most value of all of the off season activity. And I'm gonna say something here, I might get in hot water with you on this. It's three days for goodness, sake, right, It's three days.
Speaker 1: How could that be such an issue. It's three days, go work for three days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm all for it, thank you. Okay, now I'm all for it. I didn't know if other side. My point is that if you want to give the players some time off, don't make it the mini camp.
Speaker 1: They got five weeks off coming up.
Speaker 2: Right after the day after exactly five weeks, totally understand.
Speaker 1: Do the three days.
Speaker 2: And for some teams, like the teams that were in the playoffs and had the season extended, and you know, they're not a time off they had has been shorter, Well that's not the case here. Okay, So the players should be kind of fresh.
Speaker 1: And ready to go.
Speaker 2: But if you need to give them a little bit of a break, don't take it out of that mini camp.
Speaker 1: Take it.
Speaker 2: Take it out of like one of the other phase days that have more restrictions about what you can and can't do. You want to be able to do as much as you possibly can, which is at that stage of the off season, which is where the many mandatory mini camp falls. Phrases you're not allowed to have like one on ones, you're not allowed to have, you're allowed to have all of that in the mini camp, So don't take don't take that away faste, you know, ot A three four, Okay, yeah, take a day or whatever. Correct, But hey, they could take them anyway. They're voluntary up until the mandatory mini camp.
Speaker 1: Correct. I'm just telling you in theory they can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, so you need to day take the day and take the whole thing. Don't come all and look if there's guys that have a way of preparing and it suits them best. On me, Josh Allen a couple of years ago wasn't here at all in the off season stuff right, and then came back for the mandatory mini camp had his best year as a pro by far? Is that necessarily the best course of action though with a new staff, No, you need you need to be here. That's the other side of the argument, just saying play a handful of guys playing defense is not rocket science. I mean, so it's not like you need to be here for all of it. But I would like to see Josh here for as much as possible. But if he's not here for certain parts of it, okay, that's fine. If it works for him, it works for him.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess.
Speaker 2: So there's probably only a handful of players that could well, they can all get away with it because of the CBA. Correct, But there's probably a certain level of player on this team, and probably not as deep as you think that could truly be.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, when I'm not speaking as a team and that's that's voluntary, I get it. The one thing that that is definitely the case, there's a few untouchables, that's all I'm saying. Yeah, I mean, there are guys that are untouchable from a contract standpoint, and that's a fact. But the one thing that is definitely true in this case is that when you have a whole new regime, Okay, what you've done in the past or any you know, if JP, let's say you were a draft pick a couple of years ago, a high one, right, I was a high draft. Hey, look, it really doesn't matter anymore. You know, you've got a new regime. There's uh, you know, the general manager that may have drafted you is gone. So the new general manager is not going to look good or bad if he keeps you or he doesn't keep you. You know, there's veteran guys it doesn't matter. It doesn't it's not going to make the new general manage look good or bad if he keeps you or he doesn't keep you where they decide that you're not a part of the program, or you are a part of the program. You know. So everybody is kind of starting at ground zero from that standpoint. But then again, there are contracts that make certain guys untouchable part of the business professional football. But everybody has a clean slate. Nobody has any built up equity, so to speak, even though some guys do just from an experience and play standpoint, but a lot of guys don't have any of that equity.
Speaker 1: Built up at all. So we'll see. I bet attendants will be pretty high in this offseason program, as.
Speaker 2: It should be. I mean, look, this is a great place to live. And here's the other thing that I've made this point for a number of years. If you are out and training on your own and you get hurt, you're on your own non football NFI list baby, Okay, and you know what that means. You don't get paid. Okay. If you get hurt while you're working under the umbrella of the team, Okay, then that's in the line of duty injury. Where would you rather work out somewhere where there is no way of you getting paid if you got hurt, or if you work out here, then you're gonna get paid because you were in the facility working out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like an easy answer.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you this just I mean from my experience, working out with your teammates is great because it's competitive. You can help raise the level of everything you do in the off season. When you're working out with your teammates, you build relationships and with a lot of new faces that are going to be coming in, this is a chance for them to get to know everybody. I mean, speaking of working out away from the building, you don't want to do one day? What what are those darkness retreats? Aaron Rodgers did? That sounds fun? That guy that sounds like an interesting Rogers playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers just as work for me.
Speaker 1: We'll see. They haven't announced anything.
Speaker 2: Yet, I know, but it's going that way right, trending that direction. Can you picture Aaron Rodgers in these in his darkness retreats fitting in with the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a it's a different place.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Man, let's come back in a moment. We will tease The Hunt. It is back tonight, can't wait.
Speaker 2: I love that show. I think it's every NFL team should do something like this, and some of them try. Yeah, not to this extent, not as not like the Jaguars. The Hunt is outstanding must watch football viewing entertainment. We're on tens, n x l a M, Jaguars dot com, and Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 1: It's Jaguars Happy Hour. That one's pleasure.
Speaker 2: Sure, Season six, episode one. All right, let's go there.
Speaker 1: You have it.
Speaker 2: The Hunt back tonight, seven o'clock on Jaguars YouTube, featuring unprecedented access into the leadership changes for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I'm told it's thirty six minutes long.
Speaker 1: One nice, very good.
Speaker 2: That's almost like hopcorn in a cold wooden territory. That's enough time to do both. Oh yeah, I'll be uh. I'll have a cold drink and watch it tonight. I don't know about popcorn. No, not a popcorn.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I like pop but I like popcorn movies.
Speaker 1: I like them. This is damn. I mean, they might as well get to sun Dance with this thing. That's how long this thing is. And they've done a great job with it. They really have.
Speaker 2: I mean the whole crew, all the way top to bottom, from kavanav of course to the canvas. Everet Sullivan kind of leads the charge on this side of things, and I mean we can go through the list here, but Trent Padilla and Gabby Dalton have been working their tails off over there. Andrew Curry ho the access given by the football side. I mean, you'll see it tonight. I've seen bits and pieces logs. The whole thing's going to be fantas Yeah, looking forward to that. I will me and the wife, Terra, we will definitely be watching that tonight.
Speaker 1: Is that her name. I'm kidding, Yes, you know very well.
Speaker 2: I know very well. Of course, we will definitely watch that tonight. And you know, we always try to find something to watch. But I can tell you this that is on my list, like top five is when that stuff comes out, you know, and I know all the people.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's i mean it's almost like we work here.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, well imagine that, but it's still got I mean the access that you get in the entertainment that you get from it I think is outstanding and I would recommend anybody that has not watched The Hunt that do not miss this year's The Hunt series because it is must watch TV if you're a football fan, if you're looking to be entertained. This is great stuff.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to seven o'clock Eastern tonight. Jaguars YouTube. They'll stream it live there.
Speaker 2: It will be on the Jaguars website at some point very soon as well, so check that out. Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Dream Pinders Homes, official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars off season program. Next week, veterans will be in first impressions for the head coach and the strength and conditioning staff. And then we're closing it on the NFL Draft three weeks away and the draft party this year at Lemon Bar. Logs at the Lemon Bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's where we'll be.
Speaker 2: No, we're going to be here, Oh, but the party will be out. I don't want to be where the party. I mean, maybe you could go out there and report back. Can I be like a remote? I'm sure that would go very well for you. Yeah, that'd be great. I'm looking forward to the draft. I've been watching film for the last couple of weeks, and I think it's going to be a very interesting draft. And when I when I said this earlier, there was kind of a reason why I said that I would love to see the Jaguars trade down just because they can accumulate some more picks. But then also there's a lot of players that are really close together. How do you get that after you get past that elite group right at the top, and more picks means better chance of hitting. And you've got a great, great group of guys that are going to be available in that eight to fifteen, sixteen seventeen. The grades are they're going to be so close together that you can get great value there. But you just you know, again said this before, but you got to be willing to find somebody that's wanting to trade up.
Speaker 1: To do that. It takes two to tango.
Speaker 2: There's more people that are willing to trade back than are willing to trade up. I think that's yeah. You always talk about we always hear about, oh, trade, this could be a trade machine. Here we go, trade, trade, trade, and then draft night rarely does something happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, sometimes I think in the last couple of years the frequency of trades though have gone up. So it was the last year and we've never been around the mindset of James Gladstone and Liam Comb, so we don't know kind of what their mo is. I mean, they've got an opportunity to create their own m O.
Speaker 1: Correct, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, we know we can follow the track record in l A a little bit of what they did there, but I mean he was more in the scouting side of the draft than well. And I think the other thing too, that is incredibly important. Every team has a great opportunity after the draft to still continue to add talent to the I was trying to think of the environment. Is that what the ecosystem? I know you've been a while for two weeks, but you forget ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Come on, man.
Speaker 2: And I'm really looking forward to that because that was something that James Gladstone handled personally for the Rams and they've done a great job in that category with the undrafteds and so I know a lot of people are fired up about what the Jaguars will be able to do in the draft, and there's no doubt that that's the highest level of talent that you can add to your roster, but it doesn't end there. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are are also going to do after the draft and the undrafted hard Final Four this weekend. Do you care who's in the Final four? All the number one seats? I heard that Florida is in. They are one of the number one seats. Who else is in?
Speaker 1: Duke Duke? Who are the others?
Speaker 2: Cameron crazies? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are they still considered the Cameron crazy?
Speaker 1: They are? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, Auburn, Auburn Duke, Florida, Houston and who Houston? Houston? All right? Who you're rooting for?
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: You don't care. Who do you think is gonna win?
Speaker 1: Duke Duke? Are they that good? They're I think they're pretty good. I mean from the two games I watched them in the tournament. I don't know. I don't know anything else.
Speaker 2: Virginia is not in the Final four. They're not going to be there for a while. I don't think it might be a minute. Alabama blewet. I'll watch the Final four. I haven't watched the basketball game yet, but I'll watch. I'll watch the final wins the first game Saturday. No, Yeah, Saturday Saturday. What time they're both at on Saturday? One's at six o'clock Saturday, Saturday Saturday, and they're back to back. Got a concert I'm going to Oh what have we got?
Speaker 1: Is it a competing billy strings? Whoa sweet? Yeah? You got an extra one extra ticket for.
Speaker 2: He will come to be a third wheel for that concert. Maybe so at the end. Uh huh yeah, yeah, great show. I've heard he's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I've seen him.
Speaker 2: I've heard nothing but good things.
Speaker 1: Great to see you again, Great to be so too.
Speaker 2: And uh, next week, you can educate me on basketball a little bit. Well, not me, because you're asking a wrong guy.
Speaker 1: I need some help. I didn't watch any all year. I need some help.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about basketball. I guess next week we'll probably talk about the NFL Draft again, well, of course, because it's the most important thing for this franchise. And I'll give you a breakdown of some of the off defensive lineman I think this team needs it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that that's coming up next week. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Thanks to our entire crew, David, Joe, Brent Reaber, Joe Fortunado for Jeff Logiman, I'm JP Shadrick, and this is Jaguar's happy hour.