Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: From Mahard where innovation, money and power.
Speaker 3: Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 5: I met Lovelow in San Francisco. Caroline hides off today. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. Shean rethinks an IPO in New York with its sites now set on London as the fast fashion company faces hurdles in the US. Plus, Nvidia's seventy million dollars supercomputer is hobbled in Florida by laws preventing top talent from other setting foot in the state. We'll bring you the reporting from the ground. And Instagram competitor Lapse raises thirty million dollars from investors as it looks to provide an alternative social platform to gen z users. We'll discuss that and so much more throughout the hour. Good morning, this is what your markets look like. We're coming out of the tail end of earning season for the technology sector and headfirst into a week where economic data is front and center. There's been chopping trading on a Nasdaq one hundred. We're currently up two tens percent yields have been creeping higher. Why we've pared back our expectations for what the FED will or won't do with a rate cart. You look at US tenure yield four point two eight percent, been around four point two nine percent. One landmark moment Bitcoin just below fifty seven thousand US dollars per token right now. Significant because that took the global market for cryptocurrencies to two trillion dollars in market cap total. I'm going to show you that chart later on in the hour the crescendo of the week twenty four hours time when we get PC data. Why because I think will inform what the market at least thinks is going to do. And of course higher rates we know. The story is how that impacts the tech sector. Single names we're watching I talked about earning season Zoom up four point seven percent, have been much higher, a relatively strong outlook for EPs. But they did a share buyback one point five billion dollars, a sweetener that investors like in Vidia has hit pause on its most recent rallies, soft to two tens of one percent. We're about to bring you a key story of what's going on with Nvidia in Florida and then Google is rebounding. It's up three tens and one percent. But there are concerns about Gemini and the image generator side of Gemini, and we are going to go to one analyst who has put those concerns right at the center of their most recent note. That is some names that are already trading. What about one that we're all waiting on with hurdles affecting its potential IPO in the United States, Fast fashion company she In is considering switching its listing to overseas. The company, which was founded in China and is now headquartered in Singapore, is in the early stages of exploring a listing in London. As the likelihood of the US SEC approving and IPO dim. Sheen is still working on its application for the US, which remains its preferred location. That's all according to Bloomberg sources and reporting in here with more is Bloomberg's sweater Gopinath Sweta A good morning from San Francisco. Good afternoon to you in London. This could be big for London's market.
Speaker 6: This could be huge for London's market. The London IPO market has been particularly hard hit. The IPO market globally has slowed, of course over the past eighteen months or so, but the drop in London listings has been really stark. Just about a billion, just under a billion in fact, was raised all through twenty twenty three here in London. So a deal of this size, a listing like Shean could be the boost this market has desperately been waiting for.
Speaker 5: Can London even support an IPO of this size? We kind of know what the numbers are right that she and would be looking at in terms of volume rays valuation. I go back to what happened with our in September. You know, you have to ask yourself, is the investor base there to back a London IPO.
Speaker 6: That is the billion or billions of dollars worth of That's the billion dollar question actually, because that's that's the obstacle that people say is holding London back. There just isn't investor appetite here, particularly for sort of fast growing young companies that have unprone business models. Sheen is doing very well by most accounts, but there are problems around it's so saying that questions about sort of the conternate users where it comes from, sort of ethical est concerns around that, and also just concerns about how it should be valued. They're sort of varying estimates, estimates as for all private companies, but more broadly, there's just questions about how London fund managers value companies. This is the idea that they don't value growth as highly as their US counterparts do, which is why we've seen a lot of British bond tech companies, including arm as you mentioned, choosing New York over London.
Speaker 5: All Right, it is the IPO to watch this year, irrespective of where it ends up happening. Bloomberg, Sweat to go Op and have great to catch up with you. Thank you now. Staying with news out of the UK, Sony's PlayStation London, best known for the SingStar series as well as multiple virtual reality games, will shut down. Sony's also laying off around nine hundred employees, accounting for about eight percent of its video game division. The company said that the layoffs will affect game makers across three of its most successful subsidiaries, Insomniac, the studio behind Spider Man, Naughty Dog behind the Last of Us, and Gorilla behind Horizon. The news comes after the company reported earlier this month that it would be cutting projects. Projection sorry for its PlayStation five console. Head of PlayStation Studios Herman Holst said in a note to staff Tuesday that the company has also decided to cancel several games that were in development. Okay, let's turn to none other than in Video. It is the stock to watch most days of the week. Florida Governor Rondasis initially predicted that a super computer bankrolled by billionaire co founder of the chip Giant Chris Malakowski at the University of Florida would be a magnet for AI talent. But almost four years later, DeSantis's staunch anti China stance is preventing some of the most highly skilled AI researchers from ever setting foot in the state. Joining us with the story is Bloomberg's Michael Smith, and what a story. It is one of the most read on all Bloomberg platforms this morning. Just explain what's happening here. There is a supercomputer in Florida. It includes in Vidia backing and Nvidia tech. But that computer is not getting the computer scientists it needs to support it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's basically it. Basically.
Speaker 7: Last year, Governor DeSantis, as part of his sort of campaign against Undo influence by China and the state of Florida and in the country backed and heavily supported a law that basically the legislature pass that basically prohibits state universities in Florida from hiring graduate students PhD students from China, Irran and five other countries of concern as they call them. They just basically cannot bring them over to study and perform research in any field, including AI. So that's really put a hamper on what the University of Florida does. And Nvidia comes in because a few years ago they built what's called the Hypergator AI. It's the world's fastest supercomputer on a college campus. And Chris Malakowski, who's an alumni alumni he went to the University of Florida, basically paid for it in conjunction with Navidia and the university kicking some money. So they got this amazing seventy million dollar computer, but they have a shortage of top talent researchers to take advantage of it. So that's really putting a hamper on what they want to do in Florida with AI.
Speaker 5: Mike I just point out for our audience that in Nvidia declined to comment for your story, but I did speak two weeks ago with Nvidia's CEO, Jensen Huang, and on the issue of China, this is what he had to say.
Speaker 8: Have listen, we have to comply with American policies and whatever the rules and regulations are, and the laws.
Speaker 1: Are well number one, comply with that.
Speaker 8: Our goal or in the United States would love to see us be a successful country in one of the pillars of national security of successful industries.
Speaker 5: So the Nvidia side of the story is pretty clear, right, we comply with the rules and regulations of the country we're from, and they want America to be the most competitive source of AI talent and operation go to run the CENSUSUS side of this. In Florida's side of this, what is the concern that they have in letting in talent from overseas working in the field of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: Well, Desantas has made this a big talking point.
Speaker 7: If you will, uh he believes that or he says that there's you know, you have to worry about Chinese interests purchasing land.
Speaker 1: For example, uh or or or you know, or getting.
Speaker 7: Access to technology via universities because they might be basically spying on behalf of the Chinese military, the government, or even Chinese industry and stealing secrets.
Speaker 1: Et cetera.
Speaker 7: So in the case of and the law that he passed covered all those areas, but a big focus is the university side of it. So he they basically passed this law saying, you know, major restrictions on bringing in talent researchers from China, and he's really latching onto something that's happened in the United States and other countries. For example, the Trump administration issued a proclamation that allowed that ordered the State Department to reject the visa of any aspiring PhD student from China and several other countries who were suspected of having any ties with the military or the government in China. And they've been doing that, and the Biden administration has continued that. I mean, they rejected one year that we know almost two thousand students were not allowed to get visas to come and be PhD researchers in the technology fields. But the Florida law is probably the most draconian the way because it absolutely puts an end to it makes it impossible for professors to bring in talent from China and Iran. That's another key market for top AI talent in the world. Iranian PhD students. Last year they just the University of Florida, that's the flagship university where the hypergata is actually based, brought one thousand students from the seven countries of concern, principally China that are listening to this law that are now banned.
Speaker 1: So this year. Last year they.
Speaker 7: Brought in a thousand this year zero. If you talk to professors, they say that this is really hampering their ability to do cutting edge research.
Speaker 5: Bloombers Michael Smith with a very important piece of reporting, very well read on all bloombo platforms this morning. Thank you. Okay, time for some news and talking tech. First off, Ali Barber leading the largest single financing round for a Chinese AI startup. The one billion dollar funding round is the latest in a string of sizable investments that suggest the e Commace firm is deploying capital in the hunt for growth. Founded last March, moonshot Ai is among the better known startups developing generative AI in China, hoping to eventually match the likes of open Ai and Google Plus. Exodigo, a startup that uses artificial intelligence and sensors to map the underground, closed a one hundred and five million dollar funding round led by Greenfield Partners and ZEV Ventures. Established in June twenty twenty one. The company makes underground maps used by some of the world's largest energy, utility, transportation, and construction companies, and intense I has raised sixty four million dollars in a funding round led by light Speed Venture Partners to develop AI that can detect and help fix potential hazards in the workplace. The company says it can help save lives and reduce economic losses from millions of accidents every year. The New York based startup's latest financing takes its total funding to about ninety million dollars to date. Okay, let's stick with AI the big story. Google plans to bring back its AI feature that generates images of people in quote the next couple of weeks. That, according to the company's top AI executive, Google's Google Gemini's image generator has been paused since last week due to criticism over inaccurate historical depictions of race. A recent note from Mellis Research says that quote the issue for the stock is not the debate itself. It is the perception of truth behind the brand. Here to explain that quote is the man behind the research, Ben writes, his managing director and head of technology research at Melius. I spotted this across the Bloomberg terminal. It hit my inbox. And what you're referring to, I think is the debate that's happening on social media, all kinds of people weighing in about the risk of Google getting it wrong with Gemini. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think that you want to make sure they don't have a bud light moment, and we're not sure yet. I don't want to weigh in on the merits of what they did or the debate.
Speaker 3: It's just real simple.
Speaker 1: When you alienate a.
Speaker 9: Part of the population and they believe that you may not be a source of truth, that's not good for business in their business.
Speaker 3: And they did that, and they need to fix it, and.
Speaker 9: They need to start getting these launches tighter too. You can't put out a product that's not ready and shows ideology.
Speaker 3: So it's tough.
Speaker 9: We believe we're at a once in a lifetime crossroads here where search is going to hand off to AI features and if they're not a source of trust, that's a big deal and we're surprised investors or even taking it.
Speaker 3: You know this.
Speaker 5: Calmly, and when you cover this stock, I'm assuming that historically you focused on it as an advertising business. We're going to show Google's response to what's happening on your screen right now. But how have you had to adapt your modeling an analysis of this company given the kind of shift over in focus to artificial intelligence.
Speaker 9: Well, we listen, We do the best we can. The issue there's not any guidance, of course from the company, which is their style, but the issue here, you know, you've seen from Gartner that they believe twenty five percent of traditional search is going away in a few years to be cannibalized by AI search. Not really sure how it got there. What we do know is search should change due to AI. Google has already basically told you that with their search generative experience where it's kind of a hybrid. We think that there's upstarts such as Perplexity AI and whatever open AI is going to do that are going to get a good look from a lot of younger consumers that may change their habits as we.
Speaker 3: Enter in AI world.
Speaker 5: One individual who is paying close attention to the Gemini situation is Elon Musk. He's posted a lot on his platform X in the last forty eight hours. This is the first line of something that caught my eye. Given that GEMINIAI will be at the heart of every Google product and YouTube, this is extremely allarmy. It kind of speaks to the point that you just made, Ben, how big a risk fact is it to Alphabet, the parent of Google, that Elon Musk clearly is focused on this and is keeping it in the public consciousness for the time being.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not good.
Speaker 9: And Elon as is well chronicled on why he could be upset as well with what happened when the model asked questions about him versus some unsavory You know, gentlemen, the issue here is Elon does have a big microphone. And like I said, I mean again, I don't want to weigh in on the merits of the debate or what was potentially done, but you you know, they're in a business of trust of information and that has been rattled and I think that Elon has a big microphone, and obviously with his platform of X which he controls. So you know, we've been keeping track of a lot of the fodder on it and we'll see if that has an impact. But the average consumer doesn't know the differ between you know, a lot of the different products too, so they see lack of truth in one thing, they might think there's lack of truth in another thing.
Speaker 5: All right, Melia's Research Managing Director and head of Technology Research, Ben Wrights. This and Google. We was rebounding today. Now coming up from the show, GitHub making co pilot enterprise and AI offering that helps streamline code navigation and comprehension and available for just thirty nine dollars per user per month. We speak to GitHub ceo coming up next. We're going to take a short break. We'll be right back. This is Bloomberg Technology, all right. Today gethub and AI powered Developer platform is making GitHub Copilot Enterprise available to every organization for just thirty nine dollars per user per month. The AI offering is per personalized for each organization, making it possible to streamline code navigation and comprehension. Here with more GitHub ceo Thomas Donkey and Thomas good morning to you. I guess if you're a novice coder like me, or you're a veteran. This is a useful application, and I guess you're targeting those two very different end markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely No.
Speaker 4: Ed what we have seen in the last years that companies no longer just look at digital transformation, they're actually looking into the AI transformation and get a Core.
Speaker 3: Pilot started it all by giving.
Speaker 4: Developers AI based order suggestions, not order completion in the editor, and with Corpolate, enterprises can now be customized for all the internal knowledge of an organization, the code based Imagine you now you're a new developer at Bloomberg TV.
Speaker 3: It's your first day, and you can just ask corpilot.
Speaker 4: Holl things I don't have Bloomberg all the instant intutional knowledge at your fingertips.
Speaker 5: A part of this in some of the similar tools I've seen, is kind of the predictive nature. Right, You're right, a line of code and the rest is auto completed. What is the performance and competence level of your technology vis a v a veteran coder who could write it themselves.
Speaker 3: You know, it actually depends on what you're doing yourself.
Speaker 4: You see a lot of developers are learning to use Core Pilot while typing code. You know, you figure out when you write a couple of characters in.
Speaker 3: Your editor that if you if you do it in.
Speaker 4: A certain way, you get a better suggestion, you get a better answer. And so developers increase their proficiency level as they're using core Pilot. We see that they're getting more productive, you know, up to fifty five percent in case studies that we have blended NBSC developers actually be measurable, more more fulfilled, more happy.
Speaker 5: Thomas Microsoft, You your parent company, was pretty stoked about the base version of co Pilot. Do you think thirty nine dollars a month will will see the enterprise version gain traction?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: You know, the attraction that we have seen over the last year has been phenomenal. We have over fifty thousand organizations already on board to copilot, more than one point three million paid users, and we see a lot of excitement from all kinds of industries. It's no longer just the cool startups and the tech companies. It's it's you know, pharmaceutical companies, automotive companies, lots of financial services institution, the global system, and the greaters like Accentia, and so we see tremendous excitement there. We have run the preview of Coporate Enterprise for the last three months and receive feedback from companies like Pigma Shopping fire Fellows telling us that the collaboration is getting so much better if coplat knows about what's happening within the company.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg reported earlier this month that Apple is looking to see something very similar with x code, you know, a very similar tool. What do you make of that?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: Clearly this is becoming a battleground the use of generative AI within the writing of code.
Speaker 4: You know, I think as a developer, this is the most exciting era that I have seen over the last thirty years, where all these companies, including Microsoft and get up are working to make develop us more productive, to have them focus on the things they love doing and have AI help them with the things that they don't love to do. Right, this is exciting for developers to work load. The amount of code that develops have to manage today is so big that we really need to bring the effort.
Speaker 3: Down of doing.
Speaker 4: All this work, maintaining all this legacy code, code that lasts back you know, until the nineteen sixties with Cobal and for to one and other languages that are still running in our production system.
Speaker 3: So it's really exciting.
Speaker 4: You don't see all the innovation, and we hope we stay at the.
Speaker 3: Forefront of this.
Speaker 5: It's going to make hackathons interesting. Gehub CEO Thomas steine Key get to catch up with you. Thank you for your sign Now coming up, Canadate introduces an online safety law. It's the whole social media. Companies responsible for harmful content will bring you those deeds. Next, this is Bloomberg. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology, Ed Ludlow Here in San Francisco. You can see behind me Microsoft down around half a percentage point, but that does make it the biggest points drag on the Nasdaq one hundred. A lot of reporting in recent a lot of reporting for the last twelve months about Microsoft's efforts in AI, but this one story seems to be relevant. Microsoft's investment into AI startup Mistrel is facing scrutiny in the EU, A day after the company announced a strategic partnership that includes making the startup's latest AI models available to customers of Microsoft's Azure Cloud. I want to go out to London and Bloomberg's Mark Bergen. We know very clearly the relationship between Microsoft and open Ai. So now they're making a relationship with Mistral, and very quickly the EU wants to look at it. What do we.
Speaker 10: Know, Yeah, this is effectively what we know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we know that the relations to the numbers are very different.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 10: So Microsoft has put it up to about thirteen billion into open ai, largest financial backer, largest partner for a number of years since is twenty nineteen. The Mistral partnership includes from Microsoft's and they've told this a fifteen million dollar investment, so I think actually fifteen million euro sorry, so pretty small, certainly relative to their share and open Ai.
Speaker 2: This is for both sides, you know. For Mistrel, this makes them the.
Speaker 10: Second company after open Ai to have their language models available for customers on Microsoft's Azure cloud. And so this is for them, you know, they've been there French so far they've been well pretty relegated, I say, to Europe. But this certainly gives them a much bigger potential to have a global reach. And for Microsoft, they can go out to regulators and say, look, we are not just tied to open Ai. We have a partnership with this French and European Championship that is using open source, which is one of the things that the Microsoft has talked a lot about champion recently.
Speaker 5: We had EU Competition Commissioner Margareta invest there here in SF a few weeks ago, and when I sat down with her, she explained, we're basically going to look at the entire industry for AI and understand what's happening. And then I think back to how do things normally go in Europe? They look at things all the time. I think our understanding is that the commission got a copy of the agreement between the two parties, miss Strau and Microsoft. What happens next, you know, do they face a serious probe or a problem?
Speaker 10: A certainly it's probably more pressure on Microsoft's and right they're facing a lot of they're facing a prober and their own partnership with open Ai. They're sort of the poster child for what has happened in the past two years. Is this relationship between these big tech companies that have in Microsoft, Google, Amazon, We've seeing Salesforce and Video Intel and make these pretty large, substantial investments in the generative AI companies. On the other side, the flip side that comes with sort of a strings attached where they're going to be using. In this case, Mistrel is using Microsoft's cloud. Open AI is using Microsoft's cloud. Google's investments are going back and using their cloud, and I think that's sort of that's certainly what regulators have been talking about is unpacking those relationships.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, going forward, Mustrell.
Speaker 10: Is in a really interesting position because they are and have been this champion in France making the argument that Europe needs a strong open A player, and so I think for a lot of in Europe, I think scrutinizing a company like Maestrol won't be the same as going after some of these big tech companies from the US.
Speaker 5: Right Indice monk Bergen out of London, thank you very much. Meanwhile, in Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government introduced an online safety law, joining European countries in trying to compel internet companies to actively regulate and remove harmful content. With us to discuss is actually Casavan managing director of the International Association of Privacy Professionals AI Governance Center. We've been talking about this in recent weeks. It is happening all over the world. In the US, we're in an election cycle where we're worried about the moderation of content online. First of all, your reaction to what Canada has done and how effective you think it will be.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's another in a series, as you said, of countries that are really thinking about the implications of online harms, especially for children. So we've seen this play out in the US context recently with the conversations related to Coosa and Copper, and as you mentioned, really matching what's happening in the European context. I think it's a positive step forward. These were commitments that were made a long time ago by the Trudeau government and so really happy to see that this joins other online bills both internationally, but then also to match the Digital Charter Implementation Act in Canada.
Speaker 5: The Internet is the Internet, it is everywhere, it is global, it's now in space, and every day we're talking about a different country. At some point, do you think that everyone should just get together and have a common set of rules or is that a naive position to take.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 11: I think that's actually exactly the question that the play right now by a lot of international organizations like the g seven, like the OECD, like the World Economic Forum, like the UN are really thinking about their position and conveners of countries. How do we think about these digital implications and rules for guardrails for those digital services in a combined way. One of the challenges, I think is the different trade offs and values that you have between different nations, but you also have things like data transfer issues when you're thinking about more of the national implications, and so how all of this is actually going to play out in an international space I think.
Speaker 1: Remains to be seen.
Speaker 5: Actually for the platforms of the tech companies, there is a policy consideration and then there's a technology consideration. Is there any one social media platform or company that you think is doing a good job of their own volition to moderate content.
Speaker 11: We are a policy neutral organization, so I won't speak to one organization over the other. But I think that we can start to see some best practices that are emerging in different types of use cases, where we're thinking again about rules around children's safety, making sure that there are certain types of parental controls that are in place, making sure that we're even seeing where there's alerts that are being provided with the amount of time that a child's been online, or anybody has been online giving you alerts to you as an individual directly. So I think these are some of the emerging trends that we're seeing, and they're coming out from a variety of different companies. And it's not to say that that then makes one company more proficient in that space over the other. I think the whole community is really learning together, both policy makers and industry players that have these research capacities within their organizations.
Speaker 5: Ashley Cassavan the iapp AI Governance Center. Great to have your time, Thank you so much. Now coming up, we'll speak with the new VC firm Pari Passuventure Partners, just coming out of Stealth. Managing partner Julia Guddish Kriega joins us. Next, we'll also let's stick with AI. Why not everyday AI all the time? Here are two names that we touch on every so often. SoundHound AI and Big Bear AI both up big time twenty three percent. For Big Bear, I'm looking on the Bloomberg terminal, I'm looking at the news wires. Big Bear has its AGM today. I doubt that is the causal link of what's driving the stock higher. And SoundHound is among the most discussed on stock twits and other Reddit forums. But these names have behave like meme stocks as well as being caught up in the kind of hype cycle we've seen the AI related names and equity markets for two big movers this Tuesday. We'll be right back. This is bloom of technology. Okay, quick update. The global crypso total market cap is now at two trillion dollars, driven basically by the rally in bitcoin Bitcoin surge around twelve percent already in the last seven days or so is trading near that high level of December twenty twenty one. But the main point is if you look right in the far right hand side of your screen, two trillion dollars of total market cap for all digital tokens, as tracked by www dot coin, marketcap dot com. What fun. All right, Let's stick with these assets and zero in on n ft SO. It's went from being touted as the cutting edge of the digital frontier to frankly the punchline for the most recent cryptobus. But suddenly the staging and unlikely comeback joining me on set is bloombog. Hannah Miller, you write with such fun about this, but it's true. You know, we kind of went from all the craze crazy dollar values to some memes and some jokes about people that had bought in. What does the data tell you now?
Speaker 12: Yeah, so the big question here is can NFTs ride the crypto comeback? You know, can they match bitcoins price rise? And what we're seeing here is that, you know, there's an overall upward trend in terms of total volume for NFT sales, but it's been a little bumpy. So there are these questions about what NFTs are good for, and startup founders are doubling down on gaming, finance and art as the main areas that we can use NFTs in.
Speaker 5: We just showed that chart. Alice the director, bring back the chart because it's astonishing what happened in December. You kind of had like a weird twenty twenty three quiet summer, and then December the market becomes alive again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So we know that there was a lot of optimism over the expected approval of the Bitcoin ETF which did happen in January. And there are these NFT like objects called ordinals that are based on the Bitcoin blockchain. We saw huge, huge sales for ordinals during the fall as people were getting really revved up about bitcoin. So we have seen this optimism about bitcoin, this excitement about the ETF bleed over into the NFT market just really quick.
Speaker 5: Gaming is a big part of the story. Helped me explain that one.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so a lot of startups, including Yuga Labs, the creator of the board Ape Yacht Club NFT collection, are doubling down on gaming. They see this as a way to bring mainstream audiences into crypto, into NFTs and create games that are fun to play but also have blockchain.
Speaker 2: In the background.
Speaker 5: Blumbo's Hannah Miller top top Reporting. Thank you very much. Right, let's get to today's VC spotlight and bring in a firm that's just coming out as Stealth Parry Passu Venture Partners, which brands itself as a founder led and backed early stage venture firm investing at the intersection of tech and retail, SaaS and consumer tech. It's invested in nineteen companies to date, which check sizes ranging from one hundred thousand dollars to over three million dollars per company. Managing partner Julia Gudish Krieger joins me now from New York. Good morning to you, Julia, this is an interesting concept. We all the time we have startup founders on the show that have come out stealth. They kind of work behind the scenes for a year, raise money discreetly, and then say this is what we do. You're a venture firm coming out of stealth, why so discreet.
Speaker 13: So what we're launching today is an app called Perry Pursue, which is a member's only investor network that allows founders and operators and a credit tech enthusiasts to back leading startups within SaaS you know, as you mentioned e commerce, tech, consumer tech, but really alongside leading global venture capital farms. And so for us as founders backing founders, we know it takes a village, and we know that to get a company to the scale that you need to succeed and to exit, that village is super charged by having, you know, operators that have been in the trenches themselves, that have created themselves, that know how to roll up their sleeves and support. That's the village that we want our founders to have, and we're launching Perry Pursue to create the world's most powerful network of founders, support and unlock access to highly competitive venture capital deals, but for operators that can put in as little as ten.
Speaker 5: K, well, well, you say it takes a village, but there's an element of exclusivity to it because it's members only. Could you explain that part to me?
Speaker 13: Yes, And so the members only piece is really because we want to make sure we're supercharging the value out on cap tables and so focusing first on letting on founders operators that are VP level enough, people that can really add a tremendous amount of value. Because if we're writing a million dollar check into a company, and let's say it's twenty people behind the scenes that are writing checks from ten K checks of two million, you know, sometimes historically we want those people to be able to be highly value add we want those people to be able to have a network for an introduction, if a company wants to speak to a brand, right, if a company wants to navigate the right equity package for a certain higher right. And I think that village being operators themselves ends up being tremendously impactful for the success of these companies.
Speaker 5: A kind of phenomenon I guess that we've covered on the show of the last twelve months is the appetite of the everyday investor, let's call them retail investor to get particularly into growth stage companies like SpaceX and open Ai. Right, there was suddenly a turnaround in what is normally in a liquid market. And I wonder if through Parry Passu, you think you'll see the same sort of engagement at the early stage where people that traditionally just cannot or won't invest in startups through venture funds now can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think part of the bottleneck is if you want to invest in a venture fund, typically it's a two fifty k minimum check, even if you do have access right, and so a lot of the founders and operators that are still building who'se you know, cash is more sitting in the form of equity, you know, for that future win, they're not able to participate in that mechanism. And so Perry Pursue is really opening the doors to allow those operators to be able to invest in a really accessible access point, but building a highly curated ecosystem.
Speaker 5: I introed you saying you're going to invest in the intersection of basically everything. But I wonder, is there one main area that you're really excited about. We just have thirty seconds.
Speaker 13: Sure, so I would say we have a pretty unfair advantage in terms of e commerce SaaS across the partnership. We have lived many lives in that ecosystem. My two partners sold the largest Shopify agency in that space. So you think about having access to hundreds of brand CEOs and the e commerce sex selling into it, that's what you want on your cap table. But I've spent the better part of two decades in both the venture and founder ecosystem alongside my partners as well, and so the deep relationships that you can only forge over that amount of time or what give us access to some of the most highly competitive deals in venture.
Speaker 5: All right, Perry passuventjupon is managing partner Julia GUDISKRUGA. Great to have you on the program. Thank you for your time lapse. The latest Instagram competitors raised thirty million dollars in its series A funding round. The platform allows users to take photos with a distinctly vintage feel that cannot be seen for a few hours until they develop. These new funds allow the friends focused photo sharing app to expand engineering and technical teams and implement community led product updates. Continuing to iterate on the user experience of lighted to say that co founder Dan Silberton joins me. Now, so this is like a very interesting concept. You don't just take a photo and use basically a filter, right that gives it a vintage feel. Your platform then makes the user wait a number of hours to replicate the film development process, explain it.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 14: And one of the things that makes laps with different from the way that you take photos on either your native camera or any other app today is that we really closely mimic not just an aesthetic, but also experience the feeling of using either as spotal camera or film camera. And we really find that not just in terms of actually that the way the photos look, but actually the ability to keep you in the moment because often when you take a photo, you're doing something really exciting that you want to live as fully as you can. Our users really appreciate that feeling, other than other country social media which really suck them in.
Speaker 5: Let's think about your business. You have a good runway now because you raise thirty million dollars, but is this going to be an ad based platform or a subscription based platform.
Speaker 14: So it's quite early to say or too early to stay. At the moment, we have early hypotheses that we will not monetize through ads, but right now we're focused on just building the best possible user experience and scaling that to as many users as we can. What we've seen with the traditional social platforms is that monetization tends to come a lot later in their life side. And with these new investors that we've brought on, they've all invested in the incumbent social platforms that previously started and seen that journey, and so they're fully behind us in terms of understanding that monetization necessarily comes a lot later.
Speaker 5: I'm really interested in in lapses growth. Dan, you know, are you seeing engagement through iOS or Android? Geographically? Where do you think you're going to be strong?
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 14: So today the app is only on iOS. We're not on Android yet. That will come in the future, but today the focus is very much iOS. We're very strong in the US, so most of our user in the US, but we also still have some in the UK and in Canada as well. But for us, very much to focus, like I said, is in the US, and we see a very strong bias towards gen z and female users, which tend to be the early adoptor cohorts for these new social platforms, which is really encouraging to see that those are the users that are organically using the platform.
Speaker 5: I want to go to who you think you're competing with us talking with Bloomberg technology? Is Jackie Lopez about this? You're making the user weight. I'm assuming the technology doesn't require you to wait, You're just doing it as a feature that puts you on a collision course with who Instagram Snap.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 14: And then also actually the users native camera as well, we actually see because the cameras the app rather opens to camera. We actually see ourselves very much first as a camera app, because we believe that if we were able to own the top of funnel content capture for users, then all of the other things that can come off the back of that, like the sharing, the journaling, the kind of curating and the highlights, all of that is downstream from the capture. So we're really focused on providing the best possible capture experience for users and to actually one of the best or one of the biggest competitors to us is the users native camera on their phone.
Speaker 5: All right, laps co founded Dan Silverton, hot off a series a round thirty million dollars. Thank you for your time. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. We won't make you wait. Check out podcasts. It will be online soon on the terminal Bloomberg platforms, Apple, iHeart and of course on Spotify. Brace yourselves. There's a big week of economic data and it's going to impact these markets. Tune in. This is Bloomberg Technology.