Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, was.
Speaker 1: I was, I was up? Everybody happy? Uh, Well Monday if you're listening to this as as a live but we do record these on Mondays and go live with it. But thanks to the great team Nick and Mark and co. Uh. They do a great job of getting it put on up and it'll live for you know, as long as they let it listen, y'all. I'm extremely excited to be back with you, and I hope that everybody's been doing well in the meantime in between times. The last time we were connected it was spring break for me and my family, so it was a little bit away, but we did get to tune in and check in with each other. And I share with you one this whole issue of lowering the barrier of injury that you know, to to show up to build an organization or a movement, or even a group of people of like mind to confront a system or to demand something from a system can be intimidating. But we talked about the need to assemble like minded people so that you're not in this work alone to bring down the barrier of entry by recognizing that the Montgomery bus boycott did not begin with this bigger, bigger frame in mind. They just wanted better treatment. The organization that led that effort want a better treatment for black people in that city. And from there, you know, we know the rest of the story. And so the reality is, if you're if you're trying to have an impact, don't burden yourself down with this idea that it's got to be the most important, most impactful, most comprehensive thing that people are pushing out there that I can join or else everything is is pointless or useless, that the big, big, big idea is the thing that's gonna get us across a finish line. Most movements of fact, I can't even think of one. UH began small, very nascent, very local, UH and grew from there to really encompass the world. I want to not skip over a few things as it relates to what's the type of graph of these people that you should be looking to bring into the group. And we're not trading old water. This is something I wanted to build upon because I went so quickly last week around around this whole idea of a similar team. You know, some of us like the idea when we're thinking of bringing the people into this deliberative group or work group or action group, folks who are either angry about something wanted to change it, either the federal level with Trump or the local level with the want to be Trump's the minimes that are you know that are that are bouncing around. Uh. The The idea really is you want to be able to assimilar group that doesn't stagnate and that you keep moving and building towards something. I know it can be cleverer. And some people even enjoy maybe be because they're in decidse to themselves, or they like to think of the rounded view and the rounded perspective and rounded picture on some things before they come down and say this is what we ought to do. These are the kinds of folks we ought to have in the room. And the truth is is I have found that that process becomes very very cyclical. You bring the argumentative voice into the room, people find themselves being taken off track, arguing back and forth. It doesn't become an environment that people want to you know, that they look forward to participating in. It might satiate you know your rowdy you know rowdy bunch, but by and large it's a turnoff for most people. And I would just say, if you're looking for the thoughtful debate back and forth and all of the arguments around an issue and an approach put out there, you know, join a the Big Club or some other sort of speaking collaborative or something in the community. Because unless you are founding and intentioning yourself for that very reason exclusively, and I don't know many people who are trying to do that. But if you are, it's all good, go forth and do great things. But if you're intentioning around having some other kind of impact, one that is visible, one that strikes a tone of defiance or optimism, whatever it is you're trying to carry out, it's real hard to do that when you've invited the opposite. You know, you've invited a contrary and voice into the room who is going to find argument with everything and would debate upside down the question. And so I don't want I don't want to be too flagrant about the who do we bring into the room. The suggestion last week was, you know, invite folks into your space. You're organizing space who have some shared like a mind on generally what you you think you're organizing around politics locally nationally, the mood, the need to diversify the local school board. I don't know, whatever it is for you, that conversation needs to be had and needs be had amongst your group with input from everybody. And once you all have researched and ferreted that out and everybody feels good about the thing that you believe you're supposed to do and that you want to target toward, then it's extremely important that you start to organize yourself in a way that gets things done, that moves the ball forward, that doesn't allow you to stagnate in one place. Because I heard this phrase number of years ago and has never meant and been more potent than as I have grown older, And it is don't make the perfect the enemy of the good. So just because something is imperfect, don't make it the antagonist to good. Good is still good, and sometimes good has to be good enough in that moment, given the time you have and what you what you've got to produce. Soy pay really close mind and attention to that who we're inviting into the group. And then another question that is that folks try to approach up front, and for those of you who don't, I would recommend that you do, uh, start to think about what does it mean to have a timeline around this, What does your commitment look like, What do we think our you know, all in commitment is going to take from us. The truth is is that the answer for most people, unless you are working up into a date like an election date or something along those lines, and your program is electoral, most people can't give you a real definitive answer to when we're going to start, when we're going to end, And we haven't even started talking about our unified vision about what the problem is, or what the vision is, or what the optimistic thing is that we're going to do for our community. So so so understanding that it is a good idea to try to ballpark for folks. Kind of a general going rule in this area is, you know, twenty four convenience, twenty four opportunities to be together as a full group. I'm not talking about subcommittees and working groups and all that kind of stuff. I mean as the group. Twenty four sessions is what you would want to plan for now, Maybe that means two years. Maybe that means meeting twice a month for some of you, and maybe even more for others of you. But twenty four is a good good way to sort of wait it and approach it, and then the group can fill it out, you know, as you all see fit. But I didn't want you to think that just because you didn't have an answer to the question how long this is going to last? I mean, the truth is is that that's a question for the group. All of us are going to input into this what we think we need to do, and based off that will determine what this thing is going to take. I talked last two weeks ago about the Montgomery bus boycott and the Montgomery Neighborhood Improvement Association, the organization I took the lead. You know, there was supposed to be a one day boycott according to the NAACP national release press release on this, and at the end of the day, there was a convening on that November fifth, and the church was packed and everybody said, we got to continue this until we win. I don't think they knew when they made that decision that it would be some three hundred and eighty plus days later. Before victory would be had. But I believe all of us know today that it was worth it. But a timeline can be helpful to people and give them some anticipated approach around what an investment in this looks like. Lolo, I want to invite you in now with any questions that you may you may have. You know, I put this timer on. Of course I didn't start it to like six minutes probably into this, so it's still gonna be long. Good to see your friend, Hi, Andrew.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves when you I wouldn't even say go on your rants, but when when you are in like your deep discussions, people love it.
Speaker 1: I I feel real self conscious about it right because you're like, oh god, this is in the weeds. And Angela in definitely are going to kill me when they see me because they want us to keep it, you know, forty thousand foot I can. I'm a very excuse me. I like to dive in to your details.
Speaker 2: I know Angela will laugh at me because I love the details, but I did. Okay, so we got a question. One of the first questions that I see is can you and your own burbiage tell how important it is for everyone to show up with their talents and passions in this fight. One person should not shoulder all of it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I couldn't dittoh that enough. Pick up on the last part of that first, which is, no one person should shoulder this thing alone.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Leadership is so heavy it is. It is ripe with burnout, with resentments and frustrations through the process, and it's inherently unfair to have one person always solely accountable for the thing to be done, and they never get to really absorb and deepen into the actual work that's being done, all right, not the committee meetings, not keeping everybody on schedule, but showing up at the protests at the town hall and being able to be fully present. Leaders need to be fed too, and I think one way of feeding our leaders is by baking into the pie that we are not going to leave you stranded here. We want you to be as immersed in this thing as we would like to be immersed in it. Leadership does come at a cost, but that cost can absolutely be spread across a number of us if people are willing to lean in in that way, and obviously if you choose a leader who recognizes that power is not limited to be uh, controled by singular beings. But but power is infinite, and the more you share it, the more you get of it, the more you bring people into it, the more you get to benefit. So so in some ways it's also self serving prophecy. And then the first part of that, this whole idea around just sort of playing your role. Look y'all, I know ain't lebron lebron jay. I suck at golf. I break I break driver heads all the time, which is not a thing you should do if you're a golfer out there, but I do. I'm just okay at those things. And I used to not really be willing to engage in things unless that could be really excellent. But time out for that. We got one life to live with the talents that you have, with the responsibilities that you shoulder, and with the passion that is stiffening your spine against whatever the fight may be. Use that channel that and the strength that you bring to the to the to the table, not trying to replicate somebody else, because guess what, you ain't gonna be somebody else at that And folks know or pretend to when they see one. We want you to keep it real deeping into your talent and bring that talent to the table. That's why God gave it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely agree with you. I'm always big on player role play, yes, so long as.
Speaker 1: We are all in agreement about what the role is. Yes, I'm still playing out of turn right.
Speaker 2: No, that was that was great advice. People are saying great advice. You know, I get this question a lot, and I'm gonna, you know, surprise you with it. O Lord Andrew. Somebody asked somebody email and they said, how can they get you to run again? Like? What could they? Could they run your campaign?
Speaker 1: Bless it, bless it, bless.
Speaker 2: People are saying that they they need you. So is there anything that people could do a first.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? This is a build off of the last question in the last point, which was around playing your role to everything. There is a season and I try when I can to help people understand that. I have held some public facing role as an elected whether it be in student government or the county, the state, or at the municipal level since I was like seven years old, and then serious weight through high school and serious way through college with a lot of time just being poured into that so much so to the point when I didn't have that to get up and look forward to anymore. After the November election and I was out of office and I lost the office, I was aspiring to the absence of that thing that I had become, that I wore like it was first nature. Was that it caused me to lose myself, and I rolled it and I could, I could see it happening, and could not help myself up. My energy and effort went into into camouflaging it so folks couldn't read.
Speaker 2: It on me.
Speaker 1: But it would but but but it, but it took, it took a lot. It's that sifting to remove all things except what is absolutely necessary to keep, and so that stripping happens, and then you try to be real careful about building and scaffolding that back, because I don't want to lose my family. I don't want to lose my children, I don't want to lose my life. I don't want to lose the field that I have right now about what it means to feel liberated in some way or at least on the pathway to it. And so know this, I'm an obedient. I am increasingly obedient to God's guidance in my life. I've tried it my way for a long time, and I certainly like to maybe lean on some some some added guidance from from from from my creator and and the energy that people bring into this space. So I a shake the thought and know that if God has that for me, there's not a force that'll stop it.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I love that. Well, at least you know that everybody loves you and they want you and they felt like you were one of the leaders that gave a lot of hope. We get those messages all the time about just the type of leader that you were and are now.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna play this part for a little while. Lo Low what you think you don team up me, you and the crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, y'all. I like this part. I love this part. I love doing this and I love, especially when it comes to media being in this space. So and I think that our are the dynamic that we all have between myself, between you, the other hosts, even are the NLP team behind the scenes. It is like a bridge, Like I feel like we are bridging this gap between movements that were yeah and new movements, And I just I love that this ain't my show though.
Speaker 1: Well we look, I said, we're going to stay on time, and of course I started my time are twenty minutes late. So you know, we've been here forty minutes. Probably I don't know, but they keep telling me, y'all, we got to keep this thing within twenty minutes, fifteen to twenty minutes, and so I don't want to waste anybody's time, and I certainly don't want to overload you with too much of a message in these little, small liquorments that we do have, but know that it doesn't have to be long and exhaustive to be impactful. So we're going to try and keep them briefing impactful.
Speaker 2: I love that, all right, And last thing I'll say is you all make sure that you all leave comments about, Yes, leave comments about some of the things that you might want to hear about when it comes to organizing playbook. We will be here every other Tuesday, I mean every other Monday.
Speaker 1: And then I just I just want to say look forward to when we're back on in another two weeks for us to dive into building an agenda in a program for your group. How it is that you start at the very front end, thinking about what does success look like? And then how do we analyze that? How do we count it? What they say is if you can't count it, it don't matter. And more importantly, that big powerful institutions count what does matter. That's part why you know this de I think is a big deal because if you're not counting, you've already told us where your priority is. See look at that rant. That's how we end up with a long show. My bad.
Speaker 2: Well you still with that timeframe, so we're good.
Speaker 1: I said fifteen minutes, so we allow.
Speaker 2: But it's all over, okay, all right, well I'm done. We outa here.
Speaker 1: Andrews we ya yo weacha, Well we actua would be we're staying here, so we out of here. Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.