Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Wednesday, Dan and The dan ET's Dan Patrick Show. Mike Florio, on loan from Pro Football Talk, will join this momentarily with the Brendan Soorsby situation. I got word late yesterday and my source said no supplemental draft for Sowersby, and I immediately contacted Pauli and he said, I am shocked, and so I'm trying to piece a little bit more together from my source on this, and so I'm just waiting for more information because according to him, Sworsby's camp did everything they were supposed to do, but the NFL said they didn't. And I think this was just a question of is it just the NFL doesn't want him in the league, And the answer is obviously yes. But it felt like, Okay, we did what we're supposed to do. Now you said that we didn't. It feels like they're moving the goalpost a little bit. But as I said, if I'm Brendan Soresby, I spend the next six months making sure I'm rehabbing myself. But I also go around to high schools around the country, and you talk about how you got into this, and you may have cost yourself your career. I'd do a sit down with sixty minutes or sit down here, but I would answer some questions here and I would illuminate on some of this, just like I said to Pete Rose, Pete, give back if you show that you're contrite. Here's another thing. I was told that in some people's eyes in the NFL Home office, he doesn't seem contrite. Now should that factor into this? I don't think so. It feels like paperwork, and you're able to go into the supplemental draft. Let the teams decide if they want you, all right, eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, download the app. If you haven't done so, Uh, Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. If you look at the websites for all the NBA teams, everybody did a great job last night. Everybody got who they wanted. You know, everybody we got an a, give us an a. You know, we got to hand out grades, which I always find humorous. I mean I do. I'm curious about when you give a grade because you know, did Washington get a A for Kwame Brown?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 2: Can you check back when Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown? Did did they give the Wizards an A because Michael Jordan was making the draft pick when Michael took Adam Morrison? Did they give him an A for taking Adam Morrison? I'm just curious if these guys got a's for their draft picks. Now, do I think Darren Peterson and aj De bands that are going to be better than those picks? Yes? I do, an awful lot. It was also this I was surprised that the lack of adjectives used to describe Cameron Boozer, because I kept lading, you know, what are you gonna say? He's got an NBA like body? Okay, what else you got? He's really fundamentally sound. Meanwhile, Peterson, he could average thirty a game. De bensa man, he's gonna be a first team All Pro one day.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, it takes a while to find it, but I found some NBA draft grades from previous years. For twenty eighteen, DeAndre Ayton, A minus.
Speaker 3: Was the draft grade for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marvin Bagley, the third was a B plus, great offensive game. Now they got Luca right, they said, that's an A for that draft pick. Here's one Mobamba A plus grade for the magic drafting Mobamba out of Texas.
Speaker 2: And so on, and so it's why it's tough. It's tough in the moment to give a grade because you're basing it off what you saw in college and you know how that translates into the NBA. But yeah, there are a lot of teams that got a's A plus. Yes, Paullie.
Speaker 4: The Clippers got ripped for taking Sga over Michael Porter junior. They said that Michael Porter Junior has much more upside than Sga.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Barrett in Philadelphia, Hi, Barrett, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 5: Dan, Good afternoon, fellas.
Speaker 6: Happy Wednesday. So I'm driving along here in Ontario, head into Michigan, and I come up on one of our America's favorite son, Todd's pass holes, and so I go to pass them on the right hand side.
Speaker 5: I give him a thumbs up.
Speaker 6: The guy looks at me, he gives me a thumbs down and gotta be related to Todd.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, yeah, Todd is not moving over from the fast line. He is just not going to do that, Matt Montana. Then we'll bring in Mike Florio. Hi, Matt, what do you have.
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: Hey man?
Speaker 8: Hello, hey, hey man.
Speaker 2: One six foot one seventy eight, one.
Speaker 9: Eighty eight after the weekend.
Speaker 8: Uh, I just wanted a way in this storesby.
Speaker 2: Kid and addiction stuff. It does really bad.
Speaker 9: H I applugbed the NFL for cutting out of that draft.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 9: I think you should learn a lesson, and you got to learn lessons hard and addiction it'll take over. I just look at the remember the Chris Aaron story, And I know he wasn't trying to get back in that NBA or anything, but he owned up to everything, and he went on later in seminars and spoke out and you know I flogged that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he could have cleaned up earlier, then maybe he gets back in. And yes, we all know addiction a bad thing. And you know, the NFL wanted to send a message here. They were drawing a line in the sand. But I don't know if we've gotten the true story yet about Brendan Sorosby's side of the things that did they do everything they were supposed to do? If it just comes down to, we don't want you in the league. Mike Florio knows more than I do Pro Football Talk Live co host and his latest novel, Big Shield, available on Amazon in ebook form for only ninety nine cents. It's about a tale the mob and pro sports in the age of legalized gambling. As we make the segue to Brendan Sorosby, NFL moved the goalpost here on Soorsby's team that they did get in before the deadline.
Speaker 3: Well, and Dan, I was listening to what you were saying.
Speaker 10: I agree with the idea that there was a in league circles and specifically in the league office, that there needed to be a punishment. There needed to be accountability, There needed to be a pound of flesh. Now what they could have done and what they've done in the past, they'll let a guy into the supplemental.
Speaker 3: Draft and then suspend him later.
Speaker 10: They did that with Terrell Pryor, different case but with similarities from twenty eleven. Here's why I think they didn't do that with Soresby if they had tried to suspend him after he was drafted. They had two prior cases, two guys currently on NFL rosters who had similar situations to Soorsby and were never punished by the league. Kate Sean Booty, the Patriots receiver who actually bet on LSU games he played in, never punished by the league. They didn't even know about it when he was drafted. And Hunter Deckers, who resigned with the Saints this week. He had no suspension, no punishment. He did the same thing Soresby did. So instead of suspending him and opening yourself up to the argument that, wait a minute, you didn't do anything to Booty your Deckers, let's just slam the door in his face. Let's just say we don't feel like having a supplemental draft this year. We'll see you in April, which is basically a one year suspension.
Speaker 2: Could Soorsby and his agent have done anything different.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they could have done differently, Dan.
Speaker 10: And the way that the letter to Soresby reads, it's like this thing just fell out of the blue for the NFL last week.
Speaker 3: We know anything about this.
Speaker 10: What are you talking about eligibility and eligibility the NCAA.
Speaker 3: We don't have time to look into that.
Speaker 10: And I think the truth as it's spelled out in the statement that lawyer Jeffrey Kessler's office released last night that they had given them everything that they asked for, that they had even asked, if you need anything.
Speaker 3: Else, let us know.
Speaker 10: And Dan, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that there were maybe some communications between Soorsby's camp in the NFL predating the application, maybe all the way back to the beginning of this, because they knew what was going to happen. If Kessler couldn't keep Soorsby in the NCAAA, he was going to apply for the supplemental Draft. We knew that from the moment that Soresby's eligibility came into question at Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just confusing, and I don't know it. And we've talked about this, I think the last time with Jeffrey Kessler. He's not afraid of the NFL. He's with the NFL Players Association. But can a player who's not a member of the NFL rely on the NFL Players Association to help him get into the league.
Speaker 3: Well, and Dan, that's a problem for Sowersby.
Speaker 10: I went back and read the Maurice Claret legal decision from two thousand and four and one of the things said in that decision. Unions have an interest in protecting their current membership. Soorsby's not a member until he's drafted or signs a contract as an undrafted free agent. So if the U union does something to help a guy who's not a member, who once he's drafted, is going to cause a current union member to lose his spot on the roster.
Speaker 3: That's a problem.
Speaker 10: And I think that's why the union is keeping back hands off. We don't know what to do here, and I think they can't do anything because they'd be directly hurting the rights of a current union member if they help a non member try to get into the union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my suggestion was, don't sue the NFL. Take this year off, six months, rehab yourself and give seminars to high school football teams or kids and talk about how you got into this. And it's only twenty dollars, but I'm doing it nine thousand times, and it could easily happen to you, and it may cost me my career. Maybe an act of contrition what Pete Rose. I truly believe if he gave back for an entire year that commissioner see league would have fought to reinstate him or at least put him on the Hall of Fame ballot. I don't know if that is going to work in Brendan Soresby's camp. Do you sit down with sixty minutes and do you know you got to you got to glean some sympathy here or I thought about if you put him in the supplemental draft, then you leave it up to the teams if they want this headache on their roster, and then if not, then you've done your due diligence, as you know, the stewards of the league. What do you think?
Speaker 3: And I think that's a great point.
Speaker 10: I think what he may do Dan is just not fight it, take the year off, train for the draft in twenty twenty seven, go around and speak to high school students.
Speaker 3: As you've said, he could be a great way.
Speaker 10: This is a great opportunity to provide a tangible example of what can happen to you, especially if you have aspirations to play college football, any college sport, professional sports.
Speaker 3: You got to stay away.
Speaker 10: Now, this is, you know, the fruit of the forbidden tree. Everybody else is eating it. You got to stay away from it. If you're going to be involved in college sports and pro sports, and I think he has a great opportunity to help a lot of kids avoid the problems he got into.
Speaker 2: Talking to Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live, co host the show that precedes Hours on Peacock's latest novel, Big Shield, available in Amazon in ebook form for only ninety nine cents, A tale of the mob and pro sports in the age of legalized gambling. Why while I have you. We've seen these new fields for the World Cup, and boy they look great. And there's some NFL players saying, well, wait a minute, I thought you said it's too expensive that we Why can't we keep the grass that's down on these fields that we would be using for NFL games.
Speaker 10: Well, and Dan, here's the reality. It's now a collective bargaining issue. How bad do the players want it? You can prefer grass to terf What are you going to give up to get the owners to spend the money to retro fit dome stadiums to have grass for NFL games? And you got to prioritize what you're looking for when it's time to bargain with the NFL.
Speaker 3: We know what the NFL wants.
Speaker 10: They want eighteen regular season games, sixteen international games. They want to reduce the size of the piece of the pie that the players get. As the pie keeps getting larger and larger, what are the players.
Speaker 3: Willing to fight for?
Speaker 10: And there's a fundamental imbalance in the relationship. The owners will shut the sport down for a year to get what they want. We know all the way back to nineteen eighty seven, the players are not going to go without football. They're not going to go without getting paid. Will the players ever strike to get all grass fields? And Dan, By the time we get to that point five years from now, most of the guys currently.
Speaker 3: In the league are going to be gone.
Speaker 10: We're talking about what guys in high school and college may do five years from now to try to get grass. So you can want it, but you may not want to do what you have to do to go get it.
Speaker 2: So they're not testing for weed anymore, but they're testing the players' ability or resolve of fighting for grass. So there's some kind of correlation here, Mike, I think.
Speaker 3: Well, and look, Dan, here's the bottom line.
Speaker 10: We know how much power the league has over the players. We've seen it play out time and again through collective bargaining agreement negotiations. We know, at the end of the day, the league's going to get what they want and for the players to get what they want, it's always going to be a fight.
Speaker 2: You could have given me a courtesy laugh on the weed and the grass. Mike, come in. I've been there for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I'm sorry. I hope that I'm coming through.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm apparently having technical difficulties on my end, so I'm hearing every other word you're saying.
Speaker 3: So I missed the joke.
Speaker 2: I apologize. Okay, I'll leave you with this. The New York Times did a deep dive on Diana Russini. I guess that's like happening now, Like what are we waiting for? This is supposed to this investigation that started in what January?
Speaker 10: And Dan, I think that the New York Times report is the appetite to the announcement of whatever the Athletic owned and operated by the New York Times is going to conclude and publish as it relates to its investigation of her reporting. That was my first takeaway. This investigation is just about done and we're going to find out soon. And this New York Times article is just kind of the precursor to what's coming maybe within the next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what are they looking to find out here?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, they.
Speaker 10: Claim they're going back and looking at her reporting, and there's a lot of reporting to sift through to see whether or not it was affected by an actual or perceived conflict of interest, any reporting that relates directly or indirectly to Mike Frabel when he was with the Titans, when he wasn't working, when he's with the Patriots.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 10: There are a lot of tweets, a lot of podcasts, a lot of reports, a lot of stuff to sift through and ask yourself, was any of this affected by what seems to be a pretty clear conflict of interest?
Speaker 3: And that's really the core of this.
Speaker 10: You create the conflict of interest by establishing a personal relationship, and under the New York Times very exacting editorial guidelines, that is a no.
Speaker 2: No, Well, she can't be more out of a job, But I mean, is this more unvrable now than her because she doesn't have a job.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 10: This goes to some issues between the Times and the Athletic. When the Times bought the athletic. The Times lost its most, if not all, of it's in house sports reporting, and I think a lot of what the Athletic is doing here is trying to just placate the workforce and create the impression that they care about their editorial standards.
Speaker 3: They're going to do something about it.
Speaker 10: They're going to have transparency with their employees, and they're going to send a message to everyone about what a New York Times owned and operated publication is willing to tolerate. I think that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike, Who's always.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio, pro Football Talk Live Code host and his latest novel, Big Shield, available in ebook form on Amazon. Uh yeah, I just saw that this is a big I don't know if this is a Sunday Magazine Diana Russini article, but it's a deep dive. I don't know what they're going to tell us and how that matters to anybody. Does it affect Mike Vrabel at all? Probably not, And Diana Rossini hasn't said anything and she's out of a job, so this might be just, hey, you know, self gratuitous on the Times part, or the Athletics say, look at us. You know, we have standards here and we're gonna uphold those standards. We'll take a break. Seth Greenberg, former coach, works for the Mothership. He'll recap the draft and we'll chat with him after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey is Cabino and Rit from Fox Sports Radio Now. In addition to hearing us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, we're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 11: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube again, go to YouTube search Covino and Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon.
Speaker 2: Comment away. He is Seth Greenberg. He's been very busy last night and today ESPN College Basketball an list former college basketball head coach, Seth, thanks for carbon out some time for us. Was there a clear number one prospect in your opinion last night?
Speaker 5: Not really? I mean you could build a case for any four of those guys.
Speaker 8: I like Daron.
Speaker 5: Peterson through all the drama and everything that's gone on with him in terms of a pure basketball player, and asked me who's shot ready, skills, offensively, defensive lead They came easier for others. Derpias was the most the best basketball player, the best basketball player in the draft, but you have to evaluate all the other things that surrounded him during the course of the season. And that's why deposed who You cannot go wrong because you know the guy is built like a Greek god. He plays hardest to be, he loves the game, He's I've got a maturity about him. So no, there were no wrongs answers in the first four picks.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but I felt bad for Cameron Boozer, who leads Duke and points, rebounds, assist, and it just it felt like he was slotted as yeah, you know it can be a solid player, like there's no real highlights with him, but it felt like if I was coming up with a new measuring stick adjectives per draft prospect, He's going to be on the lower end of that because just didn't feel like he had that upside and highlight reel that you would expect for somebody who claims to be the number one player in the country.
Speaker 5: I one hundred percent agree with that. I thought he was the most undeevaluated and appreciated player in the draft. He's going to get nineteen to twenty and ten basically for his whole career in the NBA. He's another guy high basketball, shoot, great field, that big body of his, he could pick a poppet, shoot threes, he can pass it latterly defensively, he's much better than anyone realizes. Everyone tried to pick out. Oh, well, you know that he doesn't have great lift. The guy's six, say, with a seven to one wingspan. But I thought he was the most under properly analyzed and evaluated player in the draft and the most NBA ready in terms of dealing with being an NBA player and dealing with every year that surrounds that because of his maturity and let's face it, you know, to me, it's how he was raised, and not just Carlos, but his mom as well. They did an incredible job modeling behavior. He had great body behavior in terms of way his family carries themselves with the way most laws and CCI it's.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many times we've seen a team draft somebody because it's specifically for another player that they're going to be facing. Like, okay, see with Mara, it felt like we're taking you because we're going to be facing them, and that's our main competition to get back to the NBA finals.
Speaker 5: Yes, and also as an insurance policy with heartsh team, you know, because they've got to sign him right now, so I mean like it's an insurance policy. And yeah, he you know, guard one alien, you you go get another alien. I mean, you know it sounds silly, but you know, Mars his land, his ability to impact the game at the rim. He's got very very good passer. I mean, he's got some skill set. But yeah, one thing about Sam Presty like their ability to evaluate and get thunder guys but also guys that are going to give them an edge everything at basketball where there you're coming off a ball screen or you're putting together ross, you're always trying to find an edge, and Sam Presty finds an edge better than any guy that's doing that job right now. In terms of you having a president.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Seth Greenberg, ESPN college basketball analyst and of course, former college basketball coach. What does Dusty May leaving Michigan abruptly say about the state of coaching in college basketball.
Speaker 5: The business of college basketball is what I call it. Look, I mean, Dusty May just won a national championship, won a national championship, and instead of going back to the hotel and celebrating with the families and the players, right, he had to get on zoom calls and make phone calls because, as crazy as it sounds, the NBA, you have had better chance to build a long term culture than you do in college today. In the NBA, there are guardlines, guard rails and guidelines. In college there are none.
Speaker 8: In the NBA.
Speaker 5: You signed players to contracts. In college, you'll sign to a one year contract and they're a free agent. So in terms of the health of our sport, our sport's never been better. In terms of how the game is being played, as you've played at a high level, the players are skilled, the spacing, the flow, the force out, the entertainment has never been better. Of college basketball is an absolute mess. It's an absolute mess. And you see a guy as young and as successful as dust he may and he says, I have no life, and this is what the guys. Look. I speak to guys all year long, and all the coaches are getting paid all that. But I understand that. I understand that. But then I have been given the money. It's seven days a week, twelve months a year, twenty four hours a day, whether it's putting together a roster or dealing with everything else that's going on, like raising pay for play money, you know, like you know, like it's evaluating the next class, Like why have you some of the NBA guys that have gone from n BEING to college haven't succeeded in a lot of way in our game. Is because they don't nderst. In the NBA, you're gonna put together a roster. Then you're going to add to your roster. In college the best teams, you might retain one or two guys. You're putting a whole new team together, all right in three weeks after the season.
Speaker 2: Uh, great stuff. As always said, thanks for joining us. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 5: Hey, you're the best DP. You know, Peterson's good, but I think you know, I think you When we put a list of dps, people go who's on the.
Speaker 1: Top of it.
Speaker 5: You're on top of it.
Speaker 2: Goody, Thank you, sir, thank you. That's Seth Greenberg. I didn't know there was a list of those who had the initials DP DP uh fresh in Milwaukee, Hi Fresh. What do you have for me today?
Speaker 12: What's up? DP and Dan Nick? How you guys doing the day?
Speaker 13: Great?
Speaker 12: Well, we've been talking about this college Betton thing got me thinking about a good question for you. What's the greatest sports scandal that you ever covered and didn't have any effect on you on your view of sports?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say Pete Rose because, as I've said before, I was using a bookie in outside of Cincinnati, and he was a business partner of the bookie that Pete Rose was using in Cincinnati. So I was well aware of everything that Pete was doing, and I had just started at the Mothership. So I would say that I was friends with Mark McGuire when they were in front of Capitol Hill with the steroids. That was obviously a huge scandal, but that you know Pete. That cost Pete his career, It cost him Hall of fame. You know, McGuire has since worked in baseball and some of the other guys who are there. They've worked in baseball, I mean Alex Rodriguez, you know, front and center with Fox. But the Pete Rose thing, and that hurt me personally because I grew up a Cincinnati Reds fan and now all of a sudden, you're getting information on, you know, damning information on Pete Rose. And I had people, you know, in my area that in Cincinnati they weren't pleased that I had turned on Pete Rose. I'm like, I got a job to do. I mean, this is this is big boy stuff, and I treated it as as such. But I would say that the Pete Rose, the magnitude of that, I mean, baseball with steroids was pretty big. I don't know if they're I wasn't involved with Lance Armstrong, Yeah.
Speaker 4: PAULI a couple other scandals, though we did interview him. Yeah, we had Lance on talked a lot about it. A couple other scandals that broke where when they broke, I was like, this cannot be real. Nancy Kerrigan, Tanya Harding around the Olympics. That was a soap opera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I didn't cover that. No fresh was asking that I was involved in. I was involved with the Pete Rose. I was involved with steroids. I was friends with Jason Jiomby, but yeah, I wasn't. I mean Nancy Kerrigan, Uh, I wasn't involved.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Later on, you know, we had Tanya Harding on to talk about that. That didn't go well. But you know, you stick around long enough, there'll be a scandal for just about anybody. And even more so now it feels like because there's gonna be more gambling scandals, that's for sure. Phil in Texas, I Phil, what do you have for me? Hey?
Speaker 7: Dan, second time caller five ten, two time iron man. I had a solution for this situation with sword Beam, following up with Florio Layer is a lawyer. Every single lawyer, every single doctor, nurse, and teacher are under a license. Five digit license, six digit license. They're issue when they come into the profession. Why don't we do this with athletes? You issue them a license when they come in. This is your license. There's a longer list of professional rules of conduct that you have to observe. If you don't follow them, then there's four things. You have a private reprimand a public reprimand a suspension or you're revoked a felony. The kid from the Ravens that hit that girl, He's gone. That's a felony. Draymond Green lays out another player that's felay assault.
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 7: There's no room for error. It takes the guest work out from the NFLPA, from the commissioner. Fourier just says, well, you know, the NFL went soft on this guy, and now with swords be, you don't have to make an example.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 7: If this kid wants to come into the NFL, then what you can do is he can come in under suspension. That's toe bating. You have five years. If you violate the terms of this suspension or this probated sentence for five years, then you're out.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with any of that stuff. It's just you're going to have a hard time with the Players Association agreeing to that. These unions they're there to protect the player. Even if the player is wrong, they still have to protect the player. You know, you have to represent ray Rice when things go bad. I mean, the NFL made up a commissioner's exempt list with Adrian Peterson. We had no idea. We were like, wait a minute, where's this list. Anybody else on this list? All they have to do is go, uh, I don't know, how about a commissioner's exemp list? Yeah, it sounds good to me. All right, what about you, Tommy?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hey, Skippy Yeah okay. And next thing, you know, we got a commissioner's exemp list, all right. You know their goal is sometimes maybe to just say something and hope that we don't go wait a minute, like sometimes we'll go okay, that sounds good to me. Yeah, Paul, I.
Speaker 4: Remember the day we came in and we read commissioner's exempt list and we looked it up and we couldn't find anything about it. It's like, yeah, double secret paration.
Speaker 3: They just invented it.
Speaker 2: I saw where Kyle Pitts got paid three years fifty four million, third highest paid tight end behind George Kittle and Trey McBride at eighteen million a year. We kept waiting for Kyle Pitts to be great. When you're drafted that high at that position. Eighty eight receptions second among tight ends, nine twenty eight receiving yards, second and fourth in yards after the catch. But I keep waiting for my Falcons to put it all together. You know, London and Pitts and Bijon and they're gonna win the NFC South with a nine and eight record.
Speaker 14: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I'm still waiting for Kyle Pits to be first team All Pro because when he came out, we thought he was going to check change the tight end position. Like, man, this is the next Shannon Sharp, Kellen Winslow. He's like Jermaine Gresham that was drafted by the Bengals out of Oklahoma. I thought he was going to be the greatest tight end who ever lived.
Speaker 2: Is Ben Watson still playing?
Speaker 13: Ben Watson?
Speaker 2: Didn't he have like twenty years in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think Marced's loss that's two decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I would say that's a good draft pick if you've got somebody who played, like whatever, eighteen years Benjamin Watson. I thought Jimmy Graham was going to change the tight end position. He came close, Yes.
Speaker 4: Ben Watson sixteen seasons, but he retired in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Oh darn it. Okay, all right, last call for phone calls. What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 13: The problem with Jimmy Graham was he wanted to be a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, Well that's where the money was. I got it wasn't that where Davis from the forty nine ers Burnon Davis out of Maryland. Yeah, he was another one that those were the two best tight ends at the time. You had to pick who's your tight end. I'm like, well, one wants to be a wide receiver, Yes.
Speaker 4: Paul Mercedes Lewis twenty seasons, including twenty twenty five. He played twenty seasons at tight end.
Speaker 2: I would say that that was a good draft pick, right. I don't know if at the time did he get an A or a B. You know, but if you're lasting that long, who draft did the Bears draft Mercedes Lewis? Jacksonville? Jacksonville was Jacksonville's it just getting into the NFL. At the time, they were an expansion branch. They like expansion franchise. Do you remember Cardell were running Keenan McCardell. They had some talent, Mark Brunell, oh, man Fred Taylor, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 13: That's a lot of haul of very very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they had a few of Hallaververry. All right, last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's store tomorrow? Right after this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: New episode of the todcast That Means All Things Todd Fritz as he sits down with Dylan, who plays the role of therapist. We actually had the video of that now not just audio, but now you can watch the todcast and we went out. We got a nice sofa, big German, got a nice sofa. Dylan has his chair where it looks like a therapist's office, and he's able to probe the whatever mind that Todd Fritz presents here in the toodcast. Yes, Dylan, I was thinking for aesthetics, smoking like a pipe, like an old pipe during our old our sessions. What do you think? Okay? Uh, I don't know if you need to smoke it, but you could have it in your in your hand. You could give the impression you're smoking it. That's there's no smoking in the building. Yeah, but there's no smoking in the building. Okay, fine, you got breaking you got breaking news.
Speaker 4: Paul, I got a little basketball news for you hand. You were talked about this a couple of months ago. The LA Lakers star Austin Reeves intends to sign a four year, one and five million dollar max contract to return to the franchise. According to ESPN's and sham Sharani intends to sign.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would run towards that, uh four years, one eighty five. Let's see, he declined his uh fourteen point nine million player option for the new max deal. He put a good numbers. You know, you might look at him and say, you know, is that a legitimate number two option here? And so far he has been. He've had some big numbers, big games when Luca was out, and I don't think he fits the uh, you know that second guy that uh oh, you know, we always got that guy to come in if this guy doesn't do his job. But Austin Reeves has played really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, it's the biggest contract ever for an undrafted free agent, undrafted player in NBA history. So you know how in the sixth round of the draft, they always show Tom Brady in the NFL draft whenever the end of the second round gets there, like, look at Austin Reeves undrafted free agents?
Speaker 2: Hmm. Here is a little taste of the toddcast where he sits down on his weekly podcast. Got it, Well, I don't hear it. I'm sure it's great, Todd. Yeah, you guys, I'm sorry, yeah, sorry, Yes.
Speaker 4: Paul, that's just a taste of the gold that's on the toodcast.
Speaker 2: Much.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 2: That that was awesome. That was awesome. But from what I'm told, the toodcast is great.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just have to go to the todcast to actually watch it and listen to it. Yes, Dylan, I think Todd's being intentionally silenced. I don't think that was an accident. Wow. Well, if he's being silenced, it's by Mario, the eyes and ears of the program, because he's the direct rio.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, Sean and Indiana, Hi Sean, Hello, hello Dan. Uh.
Speaker 8: Let me just say to you that The Grateful Dead it's the greatest fan of all time. It's not even in question. Shakedown Streets the album you've got to listen to tonight.
Speaker 2: I want to listen to Shakedown Street.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I get Shakedown Streets. It's a great album. Great album. Okay, one in my lifetime. The Giants have one on my birthday, and now the Knicks have one. I can die a happy New York sports fan.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, thank you, Sean. So the Grateful Dead's the greatest band of all time because they put out Shakedown Street. Hmmm, James in Chicago, Hi James, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: And I had to call Leon. Regarding the emoji, the sumbs up emoji in my household, that is known as a pejorative emoji, meaning when me and my wife are in conflict and we happen to text each other, we send each other the thumbs up emoji, if for nothing else, to incite rage in the other person.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice, thank you, James. I'll give a thumbs up to that. How about this day in sports history, Paul A.
Speaker 4: Couple for you Dan nineteen twenty two, the American Professional Football Association changed his name to the National Football League the NFL. And how about this Right on q nineteen seventy one, the NBA modified its four year eligibility rule to allow for collegiate hardship cases.
Speaker 2: How about this on this date In eighteen eighty two, the umpire Richard Higham was expelled from baseball because for his dishonesty he had links with gambling on games. Eighteen eighty two. Pele was seventeen years of age in nineteen fifty eight, he had three consecutive goals as Brazil beat France in the World Cup Semis nineteen ninety two. Dan Patrick Shut the Hell Up Shack was drafted by the Orlando Magic oh In twenty ten, Jace John Isner and Nicholas Muhutt at Wimbledon that when eleven hours, five minutes began two days earlier on June twenty second, they didn't play throughout the night, just letting you know, let's go around the room see if we learned anything. Todd learn anything today?
Speaker 13: I did.
Speaker 10: Dave Matthews said she was not influenced by the music of The Grateful Dead or or Norrem Dylan.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be listening to the Dead tonight around the fire. Yeah. Yeah, the greatest album ever Shakedown Street.
Speaker 13: Wow, Marvin, you spilled beer on Dave Matthews.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, what Dylan? It's not the best, but it's great. No, it's not a great album. Paul Would you learn you got your NBA vote back? Yes for Fritzy Dylan, Marv Paula yours truly in the back room. Guys, we'll talk to you tomorrow.