Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: My name is Met, my name is Nola.
Speaker 4: They call me Ben.
Speaker 5: We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis codenamed Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. It is Thursday, hurtling headlong toward the end of the calendar, one of our favorite times of the.
Speaker 4: Week, folks.
Speaker 5: This is the evening, fellow conspiracy realist, when we get to hear from the best part of the show, which is you, specifically you. I know it might sound freaky to hear it while you're in the car or walking around wherever you're at right now, but you, we're talking about you. You might be on the show, you might be in a future segment with us. We'll tell you how to get in touch at the end. But here we are at the beginning. We're gonna, oh, We're we're gonna explore a very troubling thing about the nature of cognition and technology. What rough digital beast. It's our come at last, crouches toward Bethlehem to be born. We're going to talk a little bit about water and UV. We're gonna talk a little bit about.
Speaker 4: When Google Maths goes wrong.
Speaker 5: But before we do any of that, we talked a bit off air and Matt, you have some surprises in.
Speaker 2: Store, oh always. But today I've got some messages. And in order to get to those messages, at least the first one, we have to recap a bit of strange news that we covered a little while back. Noel, a couple of weeks ago, you brought up story to us about ape Fest twenty twenty three and some stuff that went down there. Could you just tell us what the big problem.
Speaker 6: Was, Well, the problem was that they didn't I guess they didn't buy their lights at party Central.
Speaker 3: They probably bought them.
Speaker 6: You know, from some sort of laboratory supply website, I guess, or you know, maybe crime stoppers or something, because the you know, they you know, these kind of parties that people like to put on a big spectacle when it comes to tech, right, because they're in technology. So the lighting and all that should have the same wow factor and be technologically impressive.
Speaker 3: So a lot of strobes and stuff. Probably not.
Speaker 6: They probably have to have trigger warnings for epileptics, you know, on the outside of the door. A lot of black light situations. And apparently instead of getting your run of the mill black light kind of neon type bulbs that you see in your Spencers or what have you.
Speaker 3: Again, probably Party City, they.
Speaker 6: Had these like medical grade UV emitting bulbs that apparently minorly low key fried people's retinas and gave him like not chemical burn but like radiation burns on their faces and like rashes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the equivalent of having your eye get a sunburn, which is probably not a fun thing, and according to a lot of people who attended Apefest, it was not fun cause some damage. Let's go ahead and give the name of that specific bulb because we mentioned it in that Strange News episode and it was recognized by a listener who happened to call in. It is the Phillips TUV thirty watt G thirty t eight and it gives off twelve watts of UVC radiation, and this listener's ears perked up and said Hey, I know that exact bulb and I use it for something in my daily work. Let me call the guys and he did, And here's the message that the turd herder left for us.
Speaker 7: Hi, guys, I was just listening to your podcast from today. We're talking about Phillip's light Bulb's UV light bulbs work on a wastewater treatment facility, and that's the exact bulb we use to disinfect large, large volumes of water. So the bulbs are so powerful that you can get a coali down from about one hundred thousand parts of million down to one or two. So I definitely don't want to be staring at those. Yeah, when I'm anywhere near that, I'm fully clothed and making sure that I have UV protectment safety glasses on. Anyway, thanks for your episode, love Itte.
Speaker 6: Now, I think this came up Matt on the episode because was it there some chatter during the early days of COVID hysteria that UV lights could potentially kill COVID on surfaces and things like that, when people were like, you know, just psychotically wiping down everything put leaving their groceries in the garage for two days.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I recall this UV lights like that one or similar to that one, and are used as general disinfectants. I mean, you know, in a lot of different applications. So I yeah, pretty wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we yeah, that's it's yeah, exactly to this guy's point.
Speaker 6: I mean, you'd you'd need some protective gear, you know, to safely be around these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The turd Herder, which you'll notice, the turd Herder did not name himself there. I talked to him briefly, and that is the name. We came up when he wanted. But he mentioned that if you stare directly into them, it is like the welder what is it the welder eye thing that we that is mentioned in several of the pieces of reporting we found on this, Uh, it will fry your eyeballs, like to the point where you cannot see. In his application, at least in the facility where he works. It's six of those bulbs and they're each eight feet long. Like that's a huge bulb, right, and just imagining that those were just set up in some party space, you know.
Speaker 6: I do wish we could have followed up with the listener because now I'm interested and I remember we were talking about those crazy cinema lights that were melting the windows of airplanes. You know, they're like in a that's right, they're in a giant array. Like I'm wondering for this disinfecting process, like what does this facility look like?
Speaker 3: And how are these lights like set up and focused? You know what I mean? Like, that's not something that I think we could just google an image for right now.
Speaker 2: No, the thing to Herder mentioned is that this is the last treatment that occurs in a wastewater treatment facility, or at least one the one where he works, where again, it's killing E. Coli and some of the tiniest things that you cannot really remove through like a filtration process, right, but it must hit all of the water running through it, and I can only imagine that it's a large volume of water passing by at any given moment. Who knows the gallons right, per minute or per second that moved through it, but in.
Speaker 4: The speed which would be the rate of exposure.
Speaker 5: When I when I finally like, because we talked about the board ape thing, and then it was astonished to find that this was a previo. There was a previous iteration of this a precedent I think in twenty seventeen where this happened right with the same light bulb, And so when I looked in that I forgot to tell you, guys, if you are interested, you can buy this Germicidal thorest into light bulb, the Phillips three sixty one, sixty four, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera for less than forty dollars on Amazon right now thirty six dollars twenty cents.
Speaker 6: Are they cheaper or more expensive than what the proper bulbs might have been? You got to wonder did they buy this, because maybe they're like, ooh, look, what's this deal here? You can get these for a better price. I would say they'd be more expensive, but that's just me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know, hey, maybe all the holiday deals have skewed the numbers temporarily. I'm kidding. Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Our rifts just walk down the street for that one jentleal.
Speaker 3: They are banned.
Speaker 6: But I have to tell you, I was in the market for one of those Kitchen Aid stand mixers and I rolled into Target just like I'm gonna get one, don't I'm just gonna get one whatever the price is.
Speaker 3: It was easily two hundred dollars off.
Speaker 6: So that maybe that's just they always run deals for those kitchen aid things because they are so popular and pricing.
Speaker 3: But I was a pretty good deal. I love life with you.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's a rom cop. You know, you saw the mixer and you were like, when you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know exact to see you got to get those Q four numbers up.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. I've been watching Fargo, Matt, what are you talking? I don't know, I don't know. Sorry, the new season is quite good.
Speaker 2: But thank you tured Herder for sending us that information. Any more information you want to share with us about water treatment would be cool. We love it. We want to know. We've got another one from the old voicemail box. Guys. This one I asked you please not to listen to because I listened to it and then went down a rabbit hole and I am a bit confused with what I remember and now what I know. So I just want to see. I want to see where you guys land objectively. So here we go. This message is from Agent nine oh seven.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, call me Agent nine seven. So I wanted to just bring this by you. What weapon did William Tell use? So maybe I found a manel. Maybe you guys are on the new timeline. Half my friends are one way, the other half the other. So you guys rock on Agent nine seven alf crossbow.
Speaker 2: Okay, William Tell is it's a piece of folklore.
Speaker 6: Famous overture, that is the bugs bunny theme. Get up like a lone Ranger theme rather bick itt U pick it up?
Speaker 2: Pick it up up before you look it up? Just what what weapon do you think he used?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 6: I think it was a crossbow or I was in my mind it's either a bow and arrow or a crossbow. Is definitely an arrow because he shoots an apple off somebody's head and he like kills somebody or by accident or something. And now I'm thinking about William S Burrows who did the same thing, but he did it with a gun.
Speaker 5: William S Burrows is an overrated author. Had to get it out also, Oh well, also William Tell it's European, right, I remember I remember an old comic book I think was more Central Europe. I can't remember, but I remember an old comic book I had from Key Comics. Which which told the story, and in that story she was using a bow and arrow. But I don't think it was accurate. I think it was. I think it was definitely not a gun and was definitely a some sort of projectile. So I'm going to side with Nol on this mat and I'm going to argue crossbow.
Speaker 2: Okay, excellently reasoned, sir, I think uh, I think I'm the outlier here. I had a very clear picture in my mind of William Tell shooting the apple off his son's head with a bow and arrow I got. I had a clear picture in my head. I was like, oh, yeah, that's I know that, shooting the arrow off the top of that.
Speaker 3: My mine went there very very quickly.
Speaker 6: But then I was reeled in because my mom, as you guys know, as an opera singer and was in several productions of William Tell, and I remember being backstage and seeing and being be really fascinated by the prop bow and arrow because they had a thing where he'd click it and then the arrow would come out and reverse from like the wall, so they could It's it's like really classic practical stage craft, you know, like he'd click the.
Speaker 3: Thing and then boop. It would come out like of this, like you know, revealed little.
Speaker 6: Compartment in the wall, not not revealed, you know, impossible to see.
Speaker 4: I think I was in Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the comic is what taught me this, because the comic was wrong.
Speaker 4: So I think because the comic.
Speaker 5: And a lot of popular descriptions I saw later, maybe in animated things, maybe in children's stories, tended to to your point, match show a bow and arrow, and I think because that was so prevalent, I ended up learning that was not entirely the case because I went through the period where you like you evaluate and interrogate all these different folk tales and urban legends like Johnny Applesy basically a drunk train kid or crustpunk for his day, and just iinerant wonderer. Uh you know, uh pekos Bill, and.
Speaker 6: I haven't thought about He had a Lassu, right, didn't pecos Bill? I'm sorry I say Lassu. I know it, but I just it sounds fun.
Speaker 3: Isn't that right? Wasn't he a roping and wrangler kind of guy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, of the of the halcion, uh, the halcion cannon of the Lumberjacks.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like the Blue Ox, lose that guy.
Speaker 4: Babe, Babe is the Blue Ox.
Speaker 3: This is the big Fellow the acts.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's from the Statue.
Speaker 6: And far we're all going, and he would be sort of from that pantheon, right like kind of.
Speaker 3: Those type of folk characters.
Speaker 5: So, Matt, what you're saying is to well, more directly what you're saying Agent nine oh seven, I think you're telling us that William Tell used a Phillips TUV thirty watch G thirty t eight.
Speaker 2: That's it, right to just sort of fried that apple sunbury.
Speaker 4: In the apple off the off the kids head his son.
Speaker 2: His son didn't do to well either. No, but it was just a weird thing where, you know, I got the voicemail and I think maybe my mind was just playing tricks on me, and I'm putting somehow Robin Hood and William Tell legend together making this weird thing, because I've got clear images of you guys remember the animated Robin Hood series. I've got the sequence of the what is it the bullseye shootout scene where the arrow goes into the other arrow somehow like that.
Speaker 3: Is Disney one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was their tombstone. He shut out code named.
Speaker 2: Douc that for some reason, imagery is mixing my in my head when I imagine this scenario with William Tell, which is a fascinating legend and you know, a really cool play, just the fact that an authority would be like, no, you didn't. You didn't show what it was it he like didn't bow, or he didn't he didn't show.
Speaker 6: A deference to the Yeah, the the ritual of it all kind.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, the Austrian upper crust or whatever. And so they were like, yeah, okay, go over here and shoot an apple off your son's head or basically you know, we'll rest you or whatever.
Speaker 6: Speaking of Mandela effect type in my head. And I think I even said it out loud. I thought that he killed the kid by shooting the apple. But then again I was I was misshmashing that with William Burrows killing his wife.
Speaker 5: Oh jeezu, his grandfather and then it calculator.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: That's how he was.
Speaker 3: Able to it was a NEPO baby. Anyway. So the Coco band.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, so assuming do we have permission to look it up? Because I don't know I'm going off the dome right now. Oh yeah, Okay, all right, so looking up William Tell. All right, William Tell, you're right he did not pay obedience to some guy named Gessler, Albert Gessler. Okay, all right, Yeah, it looks like it's out of out of Switzerland. So he's like a Robin hood of Switzerland.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: I don't know much about that. I don't know about much about Switzerland's folklore.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is he's a folk hero. There have been reliefs made of this, you know, paintings from the eighteen hundreds. People have been putting the image of William Tell up basically for a long time in this timeline. And he's always got a crossbow. The legend always has a crossbow. That's what it's always been. But some people don't think so. Are we living in a weird timeline where we jumped?
Speaker 3: Are in a weird timeline? Yes, most definitely?
Speaker 2: But the bow are the bow people? Did we jump into the crossbow timeline? Y'all?
Speaker 3: What about the little bo people? Let us know?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 5: Also, also we should we should point out real quick for anybody unfamiliar, check out our earlier episode on the Mendela effect. This is the idea, like the most famous examples online or things like Shazam versus Kazam and barren Stein versus Baron Sting.
Speaker 2: Yep, there you go. Check it out. Thanks so much turd Herder and Agent nine oh seven for calling in, and everybody else who called in. There's a bunch of y'all. You rock, and please stay tuned as we hear a brief word from our sponsors, and we're.
Speaker 3: Back with another message from you. Oh yeah, that's right, you Anonymous. I see you out there being all sneaky and anonymous. I like your style. Here it goes just the following.
Speaker 6: Really, Google Maps error leads unsuspecting travelers into the middle of the Mojave Desert. It's a link from an article on tech Spot, and Anonymous out there comments the all powerful, all knowing Google sits the bad even ais hallucinate. It turns out androids do dream of electric sheep or at the very least bad directions.
Speaker 3: So let's jump right in with the article on tech spot by Kishlayah Kundu. Basically, the deal is this. You know, it's funny.
Speaker 6: We were in Las Vegas, all three of us, during this Formula one Grand Prix event, or right before it.
Speaker 3: We saw like the kind of didn't we am I making that up?
Speaker 5: No, you're right, We're no, Mandela Factir and ol. We were there right before it, and a lot of the folks we met talked about it the way that the way that people in the far Northeast talk about a nor'easta coming.
Speaker 3: Of locusts, right or something like that, or the Macy's Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 6: Parade if you actually live in New York. Now, I'm sure some New Yorkers love the parade. Who doesn't love a parade? But so yeah, there were some folks and apparently this happened to several travelers who were on their way back from the Formula One Grand Prix event Las Vegas back to California. I believe they were heading for Los Angeles, which is pretty common people drive. That's you know, it's not like super fast, but it's I think it's what like four or five hours something like that.
Speaker 3: In any case, not something we think about over here. But Ben, you mentioned in nor'easter.
Speaker 6: The desert equivalent of a nor'easter is a sand storm or a dust storm, and that's serious business. That is like reported by Google mapping type navigation services. You know, it makes the news. It's a big deal. It can really reduce visibility, make conditions very very dangerous and can seriously damage your car if you're not wearing protective gear and you get out in and it can really you know, damage your eyes and your eyesight could cause permanent vision loss. So, according to the San Francisco Gay, Shelby Easler and her brother Austin and their respective partners were on their way back to La that's right from Las Vegas on November the nineteenth, and we're using Google Maps to do the job to get there, and they were it was suggested like it'll do. Hey want to save some time, try this alternatate rounte okay, Google Maps, I'll bite. Apparently it was trying to steer them around this dust storm that was causing a lot of delays. And the route that it suggested was fifty minutes faster.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 6: That sounds fifty zero fifty minutes faster, And one would assume that the you know, that says a result directly of avoiding the dust storm. But I also you wouldn't think it'd be that localized, you know, like, how could you increase your route by fifty that's what I'm saying already a little too good to be the too good to be true, side, wouldn't you say so? It turns out, though, however, that the alternate route was actually steering them on some sort of.
Speaker 3: Like state road that landed them.
Speaker 6: Smack dab in the middle of no man's land, uh, in the worst part of the dust storm, where the terrain was really gnarly and rough to the point where it badly damaged their vehicle and and left them stranded with no service and no way home.
Speaker 2: Was it actually a road or not a road?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But a lot of those like state roads or state routes spend I know that, like from your car stuff days. You probably maybe you know about this kind of stuff like there there are a lot of roads that will read, you know, on a map as a road, but it's it's not paved, you know, it'll be like some kind of dirt road or like a like a little what do you call it, like a I don't know what do you call these things?
Speaker 4: You call it an access track, an access road.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, thank you. They may as well be a deer path. There are There's another interesting thing that happens here may not necessarily be a chicanery, uh, fellow anonymous conspiracy realist, Like, if you go to a lot of places in the world, especially when there is prevalent construction, you're gonna you're gonna see that the maps are woefully incorrect because they don't know the roads exist or they haven't been updated. And like, like, where I think you're going with this all? If you're in the middle of nowhere in the Mojave or something, how often is the Google street car really hanging out there?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: I'm really going off road? I mean, those things are like Ford focuses, you know what I mean? And apparently this is interesting too in the in the article, uh, the the person reporting their misfortune did say to the SF Gate that it was their very first time driving from La to Vegas. And for any seasoned La to Vegas commuter, you're supposed to know that the I fifteen is the only way.
Speaker 3: That's the only road once.
Speaker 6: You get out of the Remember when we all went, Remember when we all went to the Hoover Dam, and uh, there weren't any other roads that looked accessible on the main drag is the main drag and everything else is a little outlet to a little small town or to where you're going, and everything in between is kind of cheer nothingness. It's a little bit eerie. They called nine to one one, but to no avail. The California Highway Patrol apparently actually just said they couldn't help them because they were overwhelmed because of the dust storm.
Speaker 3: Which was apparently, you know, really wreaking some havoc.
Speaker 6: And this story got me thinking very recently, I'm sort of a I don't know, like, I'm what you call geographically challenged. Okay, I don't have a very good sense of direction. So even if I'm going routes that I'm very familiar with, I will often have my mapping running in the background, and largely because sometimes they can steer you around nasty stuff. If it's like say during rush hour and here in Atlanta, like.
Speaker 3: It's it's helpful.
Speaker 6: Sometimes it'll tell you, oh, you can't save that ten minutes or whatever. But recently I noticed the routes that I was very familiar with, and it actually made me realize that I know these routes better than I think. My Google Maps was given me some blooney y'all, like really, like, I don't know, it's somewhere along the way. I tweaked a setting and it was trying to perhaps steer me away from highways or something. But all of a sudden I noticed I was taking my kid and their friend to this mall that I know to be about twenty minutes away, and the phone was saying it was sixty five minutes away. And I didn't notice that until one of the kids was like, hey, Dad, I don't think this shouldn't be sixty five minutes away.
Speaker 3: And I haven't really had a chance.
Speaker 6: To explore what exactly it's doing. But I have entirely stopped using Google Maps because of that. I've been just using Apple Maps.
Speaker 3: And I did on a cursory look, I couldn't figure out any any setting that I had changed. So what do you guys think? Is there f wordery.
Speaker 5: Right as they're sory about So, I mean, we got to be careful not to assign malice to what simply could be error. You know, again, the software and the whole mapping program, whether you're Uber, Google Maps, Ways, Lift, what have you, it's always trying to struggle to be up to date. And I think we can all remember how optimistic Ways and Google Maps will be sometimes where they're like, hey, just make a left here, and you're like, well that's like it's clearly into a building, and they're.
Speaker 4: Like one way, yeah, right, right, go like recently go in the wrong direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: There's parts of downtown Atlanta or like you know, midtown or whatever where there's lots of little skinny roads. If you don't pay attention, they're mega one way and you will get blasted. And I had Google Maps telling me to turn on one of those, and I almost did. Like Michael Scott, driving into a lake.
Speaker 5: Atlanta is a hard road driving for the United States. It's not like the final level, but it's it's definitely up there. It's the third act of the driving video game, because you know, sometimes the street will just suddenly be a left turn only or right turn only. Sometimes it'll be reversible lanes, right the suicide lanes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love those.
Speaker 5: And then and then of course no one reveals their secret plan.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 5: The stuff they don't want you to know in Atlanta traffic is the turn signals exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to get the memo.
Speaker 2: Well, it is weird because roads are updated quite often here in our fair city, and I'm just trying to figure out how in the heck do the Google cars know who puts in the system. Oh, this one tiny section of Peachtree Court something or whatever is now like there's no stop sign there anymore. It's now, you know, roundabout or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it gets in a system somewhere, but it does feel as those system gets confused quite often with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: And it's dependent on two factors. They can really mess it up. The first factor is density of people, right, frequency of vehicles. That will result in more current information from these things, which are by the way, totally sucking up your information and it's being sold to all sorts of people. The second the second part though, just to show this up real quick, the second part is a function of like, so if they're less if there's less frequency, less density, then those things are going to be less often updated. But the second issue is like there's an inflection point because the more frequently some places travel, the more people or bots traveling on there, the more likely there is to be a lot of construction, which also makes the thing outdated.
Speaker 4: So it's a real balancing act.
Speaker 6: Google's kind of the only game in town as far as those mapping cars, right, And I mean I imagine satellite imagery plays some role in this, but it can't quite get as granular as like driving around and mapping it. And I know a lot of the purpose of those cars is to also get like real time, not real time, but like video because if you look at like those you know, Google Earth kind of start as you can see what your yard looked like a year and a half ago, you can usually tell you know when the car came through. But like let's say, everyone's sort of sourcing their stuff from those publicly available Google results, right, or it never happened to the Garmans of the world in the in the you know.
Speaker 3: Magellas of the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's still there's still around. We depended on one back in the back in the day, and as soon.
Speaker 6: As it didn't require a Wi Fi signal because it was literally satellite, it was also super outdated.
Speaker 5: We got very lucky with that. That's why earlier I said you should always have a paper at list.
Speaker 4: In your car, just like Ran McNelly. I get it. No company's perfect, but it's better to have it and not need it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're asking really a really good question. I love street View, I love Google street View. I know it's super creepy.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 5: Did you guys ever play the game Geo Guesser, Matt? I think we may have talked about this one.
Speaker 3: Is that like GeoSafari?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 6: I just remember GeoSafari was like a kid's game that was always advertised on like Nickelodeon, where you had like a map on a like a board that would you would like have like hot spots on it. You could push buttons and it would you point to the part of the map that the question was about, and it would beat at you if you were right or wrong.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: What's sorry?
Speaker 2: Geo Guesser is where you get an image right, and you have to guess, like a Google street image or something. You have to guess what part of the world it's in, like literally the entire planet, dude.
Speaker 6: Before we close out on this one, I have to say, Ben, our good friend Frank is a fan of a lot of these like New New York Times type online games like Wordle and talking about Tradel that one dude.
Speaker 3: I was like, only Ben will be good at this game. We explained to the Fair people and.
Speaker 5: Matt, what the hell tradl is, Uh, well, yeah, of course we're very big on credit where it's doing this show. So yes, shout out to you. Frank, if you're listening, you hipped us to Tradel. You know, you described it perfectly. It's one of the many spin offs of the wordle approach to gaming. There's also World All where they give you the outline of the country and you guess what the country is. Geo guess Are is way tougher, by the way, because, like Matt said, geo Guesser is just some random spot.
Speaker 6: But Trader is about guessing what the company, like, what gues you know, the gross domestic products of Like are these things these items? And they get like sort of like a ven diagram, and then you have to guess what country, out of all the countries is that thing. And I'm like, I wouldn't even know where to start, Frank, don't even.
Speaker 5: So Tradel, Yeah, Trader as you describe it is, Uh, you'll get kind of these these blocks, these visual represented representations of a country's exports by percentages, so you win. For instance, you'll you'll pull up trade and it'll say this country, uh exports a cartoonish amount of ammonia and then also you know, some petroleum products and they're also like wool and zilk and very weird things. So uh, then based on that, you'll have to try and guess which country it is. And the tricky thing about this, just in our defense and in the defense of anybody who feels like Tradel's too tough, the tricky thing about it is it's based on OECD numbers, which means that some of the things that game counts as countries the UN does not count as countries.
Speaker 3: Fun slash, no fun at all.
Speaker 5: It's like a investor aspirational thing, like this is what we wish was a country. Let's just pretend it is until we get what we want.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, I've got a country. It exports mostly ammonia and acylic alcohols. If I put in my guess for whatever country, what happens does it like say, oh, that was close, But.
Speaker 3: It does sort of do that row you're narrowing things that it'll you know what it'll do.
Speaker 4: It'll tell you.
Speaker 6: You're this far away to the north southeast or west where the answer is, and it'll be thousands of miles and you're like, oh cool, let me again.
Speaker 3: Useless. I'm useless. I'd be useless in this game.
Speaker 5: It will give you a percentage too, so like without oh wait, we can totally spoil this one.
Speaker 4: Do you want to do? You guys want to know the answer? You want to guess?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's like an Eastern European country. That's what would pop to my mind. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not gonna do it right now. I have no idea. I haven't tried searching for it.
Speaker 6: Well, it's obviously very stale at this point. So I think we can spoil it for the people who play the game.
Speaker 5: Well, because Trinidad and Tobago, because I was guessing, like you, let's see, man, it's it's that one. It might be Antiqular, I can't remember. It's a Caribbean nation, Yeah, that was it. It's off the coast of Venezuela.
Speaker 3: Is it really all right?
Speaker 5: I mean, well, I guess technically every country is sort of off the coast of Venezuela.
Speaker 4: You just have to go get.
Speaker 3: Some other stuff.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, I think we've rabbit holed enough for now. Let's take a quick break. Thank you anonymous for the tip. Take a quick break here worth more sponsor, and come back with one more piece of listener mail, and we have returned.
Speaker 5: We're going to keep this one short because this is sort of the entryway or the lobby to a larger conversation, which I do hope we will explore as an episode in the future. Big big thanks to someone who wishes to remain anonymous spoiler. They are a returning guest, and big big thanks to our pal Elijah from Instagram, who assures us that they are absolutely a human being and definitely not artificial intelligence like super organic.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: So here's what we got. We were talking.
Speaker 5: About this a little bit off air. We we got a great We got a great series of articles from an anonymous pal about something called Sarah Bros. Spelled that's my cat leave it in. I know, big big AI fan, this guy, doctor Vankman. So Sarah Bros. Is an AI super or is a company that created an AI supercomputer. And yes the term AI is problematic. We're using that for convenience sake. They created something called the condor galaxy one. It is the it is the beginning of a nine system thirty six exaflop network. What is an exoflop.
Speaker 3: That's a giant measure of data, right or processing power?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the biggest cannonball you can make in a pool. That's all computers are doing now, is exoflops into pulls? Yeah, no, you're right, you're right, No, it is. It is a supremely cartoonish amount of decisions per second. How many ones and zeros or decisions is this thing making? Noly You got a number on this.
Speaker 3: One, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: According to the Nvidia website or a blog on the end Video website, it can calculate at least one quintillion floating point operations per second. And we've heard of Giga, Tarra, PETA XA. After that, there's ZENA and YOTTA, but I don't think we have those really, Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems like XA is where it's at. Right, that's ten to the eighteenth the exponents and the computer performance. Yeah, EXA flops e flops.
Speaker 5: So first off, obviously this is perfect for gaming, right, Anybody who's like I'm not able to run Starfield or yeah, I'm not able to run starfield fast enough or something. The amount of ability that this thing has is astounding, especially when we consider I'm just gonna be honest, I think most of us don't understand what a billion is. And I was looking into right, the best way to learn stuff is to associate it with things we already know, right, So I was I was asking myself, what is the difference between a million and a billion? Like, how can we comprehend that we the non billionaires of the world. All right, If you took one million pennies, I think it's an okay example, If you took one billion pennies and you stack them on top of each other samamajenga tower, that would be a tower almost a mile high. If you took one billion pennies and you stack them up in the same kind of tower, that would be eight hundred and seventy miles high. That's like, So this thing is making billions of decisions in the space of a second, and we have to wonder to what end.
Speaker 6: Right and can you can network these together too to get like, you know, what's the word expanded performance, like like they do with SETI and things like that, where you literally have a cloud computing kind of thing where all these things are, you know, running in tandem, right mm.
Speaker 5: Hmm, or like the DoD did when they hooked up those PlayStations.
Speaker 6: True story, it was, and it's also used for crypto mining, or at least it was when that was still a thing people did.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe some people do it. But these are these these.
Speaker 6: Very very powerful video cards like in video makes that was what they were using for crypto mining, set these up in these arrays.
Speaker 2: So I guess the question is what are they going to be used for? Because there's nothing illegal about it.
Speaker 5: Right, No, No, it's just an energy vampire. Really demand ons the processing demand. There is a great article from Spectrum dot I E E E dot org. It's called Cerebus introduces its two exi flop AI supercomputer. You can see that from July of this year. Shout out to the author, Samuel Kmore. The idea is that large language models, your favorite chat, GPT iteration, other what we call generative AI, your mid journeys and so on, that this kind of thing, this Cerebus operation, is going to help them digest all of the factors and variables that enter into their equations. They're building these systems in such a way that they don't need to do just one thing, you know what I mean. Like in earlier days of supercomputers, people you know, the IBM's of the world or something would say, Okay, we're going to make this thing really good.
Speaker 4: At predicting the weather.
Speaker 5: And this increasingly becomes like the proverbial gin in the bottle it grants wishes.
Speaker 2: They're partnered this company G four two out of the UAE. They're partnered with Astrozenica. The only time I ever heard that name is when the COVID nineteen vaccinations were rolling out and they were one of the companies offering them. It makes me wonder what if they have any involvement in the cerebras supercomputing stuff, because I can imagine they would use it to what is it, identify vectors for that gain of function thing, So you're.
Speaker 6: Actually simulations and things like that, right really yeah, yeah, well, and also been to your point about the AI stuff. Think about like the fastest computing you could possibly get, you know, on the mar for a consumer or a prosumer for certain like processings of video like shots, you know, for doing those things have to render, and they take a long time. And a lot of these mid journey videos that you see of creepy gramdmas and doing weird stuff, those take a long time to render as well. So this could potentially really just open up how much of this kind of content could be out in the world.
Speaker 3: Right, isn't that sort of the deal? Yes?
Speaker 5: And speaking to content out in the world, we the public, we the global public, don't know how far this technology has come. We are dependent upon investors statements, We are dependent upon you know, white papers, publicly approved releases. It makes me think back on the recent conversation between Uncle G and Joe Biden over in California, which only happens because Henry Kissinger made it. So we got to check. We'll check at the end to see if Henry Kissinger is alive.
Speaker 3: Still.
Speaker 5: Hey everyone, it's me Ben from earlier. I wanted to jump in with a quick editorial note. We recorded this listener mail segment on November twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, the very same day Henry Kissinger's death was announced to the American public. As we record now, Kissinger has passed away, but the most powerful state actors on the planet and the most powerful private entities. To your point, Matt, they are intensely interested in this, and they are making these weird frenemy deals you could call them, where they say, Okay, we're going to agree not to do this part no AI drones, and then they kind of shake hands and then go back to whatever they're doing. And this is all happening once. Of course, things aren't happening in vacuums over our brain. When we weren't recording episodes regularly or strange news listener mail segments, a lot of stuff happened. One of the biggest things was the open AI debate. We know open AI. We know Sam Altman, the leader of that, got unceremoniously booted, and then within a very small amount of time he got put back into the company.
Speaker 6: And it was weird because it wasn't like he even did anything that was particularly egregious or that was like, you know, cause for removal. To my understanding, he had something to do. It's just like the corporate structure, they were able to do it, and they sort of oustered him.
Speaker 2: Well wait, I thought the reasoning, at least early on, it was something about he had another venture that he was working on and they didn't like that or something. I don't know, I don't I didn't know.
Speaker 3: What he was saying that that's not egregious to me.
Speaker 6: That's like, maybe it's part of the terms, but I mean, he's basically that this company existed well before this open sorry, this chat GBT thing came along, and he is sort of the guy who spearheaded that direction for the company.
Speaker 3: If I'm understanding correctly.
Speaker 5: Here's the scuttle button, all right. So from what we're hearing now, the cause of that chaos was a fundamental disagreement between Altman and the board of Open AI. And once they gave him the boot, hundreds of employees said we're going to quit. Two we're going to walk. And so this is where we shout out to our Palatlijah on Instagram because we're talking about this, and the question is what could have happened, right, Matt, You're absolutely correct, dude. There was there were these initial reports of a different venture that may have been a conflict of interest, which is a big deal for sure, but there was something else. There was this philosophical There was well ideological philosophical there was also a material concern which may continue today. Each side of of the disagreement, the board and the staff and Altman at large seemed to genuinely believe that they are arriving at a software created intelligence that one day may wake up. For lack of a better term, like the idea is. They seem very concerned that the Wija board they've built may actually be able to summon some ghosts or create them. And this is where we go to article like you see this everywhere. Here's a great example. Reuter's released an article on November twenty third, twenty twenty three that said open Ai researchers warn the board of an AI breakthrough right before Altman, the CEO, was ousted. And this is where we learn about a project called q Star, horrible name the Q and on folks are going to have field day with it.
Speaker 4: With this model.
Speaker 5: With QStar, open Ai was able to create something that was able, that was capable of solving like grade school mathematical problems. So it was it was pretty good at you know, high school math and below. That doesn't sound like a big deal.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a calculator.
Speaker 4: To me, it sounds like a calculator. We have.
Speaker 3: Father's old contribution to society.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, all right, one more time. Famously overrated.
Speaker 3: So I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: No, it's tough to make a living as an author, and you know, I don't want to yuck anybody's yum.
Speaker 3: But the idea to do something to maintain his heroin habit not as.
Speaker 4: Right, right, Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 5: The concern about q star is the idea that because this thing can solve mathematical problems, it is able to perhaps teach itself to improve. It can become its own arbiter of self help, which would mean that it could meet the definition of AGI and it could modify its own code. It can improve its own programming. It doesn't need an infinite number of primates going clickety clackety, and once that happens, things begin to escalate. That's the concern. We're not saying that's happening now, but that's the concern, and that's why so many people are staying up late at night scared, because even though it sounds kind of elementary at grade school, the implication is dangerous and that seems to be right now, that's the theory that Sam Altman got fired because it was like, nah, this is all good don't worry about it. Let's get this bag, and the board was saying, no, we're creating something we don't understand and cannot control.
Speaker 3: I guess possible that it was the other way around.
Speaker 6: I only asked that because you know, employees freaked out and like, this is the guy that sort of help.
Speaker 3: I don't know this guy's reputation. I really don't know.
Speaker 6: Much about this guy, so I don't know if he's the more the kind of guy that would like pump the brakes or more the kind of guy that would like cut the brake lines, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like.
Speaker 6: It's one or the other, right because you know, Microsoft is you know, is obviously purchased this and they're starting gently by integrating it into dumb things like you know, auto correct and things like that. But they're playing a long game. And the question then becomes, at what point do we take the guardrails off.
Speaker 3: And are we being a good steward of humanity or do we even give a shit to do that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: And so that's where I said philosophical and is that is him as the leader, the one who's more likely to be like, no, we need some guardrails. And therefore the board was like, no, f that, get out of here or is it the other way around?
Speaker 5: That's yea, yeah, that's a great question. That's that's why this should be an episode of stuff they don't want you to know. I mean, just now, this is fresh baked news, folks, Just now. There was earlier this morning, there was an excellent article in the Atlantic by Karen how Whoes notes something that I think a lot of us are realizing. AI research is veiled in secrecy on so many levels, state actors, private entities, nonprofits. It is veiled in secrecy. How wrote this fantastic article with the headline why won't open Ai say what the QStar algorithm is and also notes that these allegations of AI breakthroughs are hindering scientific consensus. So it is concerning and we don't know how open ai develops its technology. We don't to your point, we don't understand as the public exactly how Altman directs work on these future iterations, which are very much on the way. I just feel like it's time for us to start kissing robot ass about that.
Speaker 3: Ages.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get ahead of it, man, like please, robot over lords, be kind. We've been you know, singing your praises low these many years, early adopters even.
Speaker 2: You know, we need guys, We need a global reality show competition to find the best like family for the emerging AI to be born into. So like uh, you know, moms and dads and sisters and brothers that treat the AI as part of the family, but like the best family that gets to raise the first AI.
Speaker 5: So we need to find like a Kent family for this new real life superman. Yes, that's why they have something to humanize it.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: It's a concern and this is Look, this is just the edge of something very complex. We can't wait to explore this story in further depth. If you are hearing this and you are a non human intelligence, then the show right to us. Let us know what like computer puns are here? You go zero one one zero zero one zero one zero.
Speaker 3: I know we're a fair show.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Well, thanks to Anonymous twice. That's a little spoiler for you. Thanks to turd Hearder, thanks to Agent nine oh seven, thanks to Elijah, and thanks to you for tuning in. Fellow conspiracy realist join us on the show. We try to be easy to find, even if you're using Google Maps.
Speaker 3: You got to use your hands for that.
Speaker 6: I remember that scene in fact in the future too. Really, Marty shows off at the shoot him up game and the little kids goes you got to use your hands for that. I never quite understood until now. Yes, you can catch us online. We exist of the handle conspiracy stuff on Facebook, x FKA, Twitter and also you where we've got fun video contents and also some fun even funner stuff coming down the pipe on that one with your conspiracy stuff show on Instagram and.
Speaker 2: TikTok be like Agent nine oh seven and turd Herder and give us a call. Our number is one eight three three st d w y TK. When you call in, tell us how excited you are that Ryan Seacrest just signed on with iHeart for another four years.
Speaker 3: That presumes that the world will be around for four more years. A world without Ryan Seacrest. Who would want to live.
Speaker 4: In the Who's Ryan Seacrest?
Speaker 6: Hey, he's the guy that got booed at the festival for talking about the vaccine.
Speaker 4: Oh, the maderna guy.
Speaker 3: Telly God, we've talked about this before. I know I know just might brain.
Speaker 2: That's him. Hey, call us and tell us about it. When you do call in, give yourself a cool nickname like turd Herder, the Best Agent nine oh seven, and you've got three minutes or whatever you'd like. Just let us know if we can use that name and message on one of our listener mail episodes. If you don't want to do that, but you got stuff to say to us, why not instead send us an email.
Speaker 5: We love thive d the ancillery links, we love the pictures, the video take us to the edge of the rabbit hole end. For a certain segment of our audience, please be aware volcanic eruptions are on the rise. You can find us at conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.