Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, from.
Speaker 2: The most trusted journalists at Comedy Center's America's only sort for news. This is The Daily Show with your host Frindy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily Show, My Shang, you got so much to.
Speaker 4: Talk about tonight.
Speaker 5: Come out our reverse insurrects Trump Phone's a friend, and we'll find out how to leave this planet for good. So let's get into Indecision twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: It's a new day in America.
Speaker 5: Can you feel the delights all sunshine and roses or whatever makes people happy?
Speaker 4: No? Okay, well maybe you're not looking hot enough.
Speaker 6: We're going to begin, though, with the start of the something that makes this country so great when it happens.
Speaker 7: We're talking about the promise of a peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 5: Whoa peace for transfer power? Let's share it for the bad minimum of a democracy. The first step of this was Kamala Harris calling Donald Trump to promise that she wouldn't do what he tried to do.
Speaker 8: The Vice President called President elect Trump to congratulate him.
Speaker 9: According to Senior Harris aid, the vice president discussed the importance of a peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 5: Yes, Scotlana called Trump considered the race and told him that should be a peaceful transfer of power. And you know, as soon as Trump hung up the phone, he was like, yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's greats. So I guess American democracy still works as long as the guy who likes overthrowing the government wins the election, because then he won't overthrow the government. So with the transfer happening, we're gonna be talking about Trump again every day for another four years.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 5: And I for one did not think that when I came out of the jungles of Malaysia to do comedy that I will be making jokes about Donald Trump every day for thirteen years straight.
Speaker 4: Thirteen years.
Speaker 5: I will talk about anybody as much as I will talk about my mom as much as I talk about this guy. I will talk about my wife as much as I talk about this guy. My wife thinks I'm having an emotional fair with him. I'm gonna talking about this guy on my deathbay, okay, which I assume will be in three years when he somehow brings back the bubonic plague, and you might be sitting at home saying, Oh, Ronnie, why don't you just shut the stop about Trump? Well, for the same reason CNN doesn't shut the flap about him.
Speaker 4: Money, lots and lots of money.
Speaker 5: So let's get these dollars right now and get back to Donald Trump. And you know what, attitude is everything. I'm going to be optimistic. If Donald Trump can get some good people around him this time.
Speaker 4: Maybe he'll do good for the country. I mean, who is he getting to help him for the transition?
Speaker 9: And I'm going to be heavily involved on the transition.
Speaker 5: Great, it's take your dumb ass to work day and what qualifications would don Jr?
Speaker 4: Be looking for?
Speaker 9: I want to make sure now that we know who the real players are, the people who will actually deliver on the president's message, the people who don't think that they know better than the duly elected president of the United States.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no more smart people, only people who look at my idiot dad and go what a genius? And where is Trump going to find people who will do whatever he says? I mean, then they all die when they injected themselves with bleach.
Speaker 4: So let's see who these people are.
Speaker 10: Seventy five days from now, Trump returns to the White House, and right now there is an intense focus on who he will surround himself with Florida Center, Marco Rubio, possibly former Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, maybe Secretary of Defense, former acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf perhaps reappointed.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, you know what, Actually not as bad as I expected. Michael Rubio, Mike Pompeo, they're basically professional political administrators, right at least they're wearing suits and ties.
Speaker 4: It could be worse.
Speaker 10: And then there's some some shall we say, more unusual names Steve Bannon, Conspiracy Not Laura Lumer, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, and Elon Musk.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, it's worse.
Speaker 5: This cabinet looks like the division of the X Men for the mutants who had too much mutation, Like, hey, what's your mutant power? I'll just talk like us, capel Trustmer. Okay, So this is the A team and other names floated for his cabinet include a Hannibal Lector, the Menendez Brothers, the Poliovirus, and for Secretary of Transportation, a cyber trunk of a Hitler mustache. Now, Don Junior isn't the only one think about the transition. So is the guy who has spent the last two years trying to transition Trump into a prison zone. Tonight, Special Council Jack Smith is now signaling he'll wind down.
Speaker 11: His two federal cases against President elect Trump.
Speaker 1: The January sixth criminal case and the classified document's case are effectively over. DLJ guidelines are clear you cannot prosecute a sitting president.
Speaker 4: Great Trump gets off with no punishment.
Speaker 5: It still says the famous quote says, the oc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards.
Speaker 4: Sorry, run out of time. He's president now.
Speaker 5: Apparently you can just get away with your crimes if you win the presidency. And that sound you just heard is Diddy forming an exploratory committee for twenty twenty eight. I mean, he doesn't even need any policies. He just hands out behind other people's policies, going uh uh huh yeah. So, not only does he get off on January sixth, Trump boso gets off on stolen documents. In fact, not only are they not going to prosecute him, they have to put the documents back where they found them scattered around his toilet in ma A Lago.
Speaker 4: Trump gets to be president.
Speaker 5: He doesn't have to go to prison, which means he doesn't have to sneak in a tanning bed up his rectum. And probably the best part for him is having the guy who kicked him out of the White House come him back.
Speaker 7: Yesterday, I spoke with President elect Trump to congratulate him on his victory, and I assured him I direct my entire administration to work with his team to ensure a peaceful and orderly transition.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, we get it. Okay. People love transferring power peacefully. It's on and on about it.
Speaker 5: Hey, maybe if Democrats tried an insurrection once in a while, they can actually start winning something wet. Apparently there's no punishment for it anyway. It's just a free shot. I mean, if it works, you stay in office, and if it doesn't, no harm, no foul. But of course, Joe Biden couldn't call it quits without reminding people that his administration was about more than just you paying fifty dollars for eggs.
Speaker 7: Much of the work we've done is already being felt by the American people, with the vast majority of it will not be felt we felt over the next ten years. We have legislation we passed. It's just only now just really kicking in.
Speaker 5: Cool all his good decisions are kicking in just in time for Donald Trump to take credit for them. Perfect execution as usual Democrats. But as you heard, Joe Biden called Donald Trump to personally congratulate him and welcome him to the White House. And luckily we at the Daily Show managed to get the audio of that call.
Speaker 12: Hello Donald, Joe Brandon, gratatous man, he'd be calama.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you did it. Oh, I like a lot and I was super racist.
Speaker 12: Oh good. That might have worked on Calamario in the semifinals.
Speaker 1: They got to be me final boss. No, Joe, that's not how it works. I won the whole thing. Oh God, love you. Hey, who is this? It's Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: You called me?
Speaker 12: Well, good luck to you, guy. I promise me you take care of my precious dog, Commander.
Speaker 1: I'll do my best show. But christinom called dibbs.
Speaker 12: I understand. I'll be honestan all sad, being usual, hold on the legacy now, I guys high scoring a White House pac Man machine. Well, yeall guy, eat thoughts all day sometimes fruit Cherry and Charlie.
Speaker 1: Joe, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I'll be honest I'm also kind of sad. Running for president is my passion, but being president is a terrible price I have to pay for being so good at racism.
Speaker 12: What do you mean, Joe?
Speaker 1: Your Joe? I'm Donald. Look what I mean is now I have to spend all my time with Rfk and Elon Musk and they're weird. And this is Donald Trump saying that. Oh I just wish I could keep the campaign going forever. Well, i'll tell you why.
Speaker 12: In four years, if new of Us is married, we both run for president.
Speaker 1: I can't see other four years. You really think you'll make it that long?
Speaker 12: Hey, I might be jad if I'm not old, pretty sick? You know, few me again twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Best You're free, you beautiful son of a bitch. I'm in. I just have to ignore the part of the constitution that stabs me from running again.
Speaker 12: You can just spect constitution like that. Hey, who is this? When we come back?
Speaker 5: We found out a whole time because I'm gonna save I'm soon goware.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to Dami Show.
Speaker 5: If you're worried right now that Don Trump is going to ruin America, I think your feels are misplaced because he actually might ruin the entire planet.
Speaker 13: President elect Donald Trump's return to the White House could slow global climate action.
Speaker 11: Trump dowling to pull the US out of the Paris Climate Accord a second ton.
Speaker 10: Trump is called climate change a hoax and is promising to boost oil drilling and production.
Speaker 13: Repealing parts of the IRA this massive one point two trillion dollar investment package in clean technology, including electric vehicles, wind turbine, solar panels.
Speaker 4: I expect them to try to undo as much as he can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess destroying the planet is one way to advance your policy agenda.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't be trans if there's no planets.
Speaker 5: Trump has really tried to kill this planet hotther than he tried to kill Mike Pence. But hey, Mike Pence survives, so maybe the off will be fine.
Speaker 11: New data suggests twenty twenty four will be the hottest year on record. According to experts, it is virtually certain that global temperatures will be more than one point five degrees above pre industrial levels.
Speaker 3: At that level of climate crisis begins to exceed the ability of humans and nature to adapt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this sounds kind of bad.
Speaker 5: I only wish someone could have warned us about this apart from every scientist for the last fifty years. The good news is the scientists are my enough to know that we weren't going to listen, and they have a backup plan.
Speaker 8: Since the nineteen seventies, scientists have been warning humanity that carbon pollution could destroy all life on Earth, and during that time, humanity increased carbon pollution by ninety percent.
Speaker 4: But hey, we're not mad. We get it. You don't want to take the bus to work, and now that the Earth is dying, you want us to find a solution. So we did.
Speaker 8: We scientists have invented this, a super advanced self sustaining spaceship that will escape this planet and give humanity a fresh start.
Speaker 4: And you're not coming. Oh you thought we were going to bail you out.
Speaker 6: You can come and pick up Mars too.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 8: No, Plus, you're gonna bring your lifted f one fifties and aliens will think we're the kind of people that don't wash our buttholes.
Speaker 4: It's too bad for you, because we've decked this ship out.
Speaker 8: We've got movie theaters, theme part and bar trivia that's actually hard because we're smart.
Speaker 4: None of this general knowledge bullshit.
Speaker 8: This now extinct historical figure ignored science and died horrifically.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's you.
Speaker 8: We also gathered two of each animal so Gordon Ramsay can cook them for us.
Speaker 1: M kangaroo.
Speaker 8: Oh and if you're a liberal who thinks I deserve a spot I recycle, you're definitely out. Recycling doesn't matter if your closet is full of plastic clothing from Shean ruining the environment and you look like shit. Now I know what you're thinking. You'll just stop the ship before we leave. Well, guess what assholes we took off while you were watching this video? Ah from all us scientists and Gordon Ramsay, you're at the USS told you so, we're out and we're corolling your asses on our way.
Speaker 4: Also, we're keeping This method has been brought to.
Speaker 8: You by Amazon, Apple and Exxon. It definitely wasn't our fault.
Speaker 4: Thanks scientists.
Speaker 3: Let me come back, and we know we'll be joining you on the show, so don't go away. Welcome back to The Daily Show.
Speaker 5: I guess tonight is a political reporter and co author of the New York playbook at Political Please welcome Emily.
Speaker 4: No oh Net will come down show. Beginning of Standing Out.
Speaker 5: Emily next for coming on the show. These all huge fans of you. They give you a standing ovation. The New York playbook at Political is like a must read for all politicians and people who follow politics. And I guess the journalists there are kind of like the best political journalists in the country and disputed. Yeah, and you guys kind of take pride in having your finger on the pulse and knowing the people and the and the and the politicians.
Speaker 4: What happened on Tuesday, I.
Speaker 6: Wish I could redirect and ask you because we're still processing it all. But the fact of the matter is Donald Trump and Magra Public grew their electric, grew their support right under Democrats' noses. They made gains and all these key demographics. Did you know that nearly one half of Latino men and one fifth of black men voted for Donald Trump. He made gains in all these racial minority communities. He grew his support among working class Americans, so not just disaffected, rural of white voters, but a lot of people of racial minorities as well.
Speaker 5: Right, So, as someone whose ear was on the ground in New York City, I mean, did you see this happen?
Speaker 4: Is this a surprise to you.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say it's a surprise. I traveled with Donald Trump, covered his campaign.
Speaker 4: Do you put money on his campaign?
Speaker 5: You had the insight, you go Polymoket and some French guys just won fifty million dollars betting on Trump. So I don't know if you had somebody would I be here if I had me use that inside knowledge?
Speaker 6: So you felt that you failed the growth just knowing the country, having traveled with his campaign in twenty sixteen and been to parts of Pennsylvania and the West that were stricken by economic flight, and talked with people who get their news from different sources than political and the Daily Show, and you.
Speaker 4: Should get we should be getting their news from here.
Speaker 10: This is.
Speaker 5: We just we just made a bunch of dig jokes in the first So if you're watching this for news, don't watch.
Speaker 4: This for here.
Speaker 6: But but I mean you it's fell like they were left behind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, one thing is that you're you're not just going to these cities. You're you're going to cities and you're with the candidates and you're actually with the voting population, so you get a really good sense of yes, so not even.
Speaker 6: Cities villages like unincorporated parts of the country, people who are sharing to vote or voting for the first time and really found in Donald Trump. I mean, they're not seeing everything that people metropolis is necessarily see. They just see someone who cares, according to them, about inflation, someone who's worried about border security, worried about migrants, and people who arrive here and stay illegally.
Speaker 5: How much of it is that they didn't see the news and how much of it is that they just kind of hurt what they wanted to hear, or they didn't hear what they didn't want to hear.
Speaker 6: I mean that's a little bit of both. Right that we have this fun phenomenon called confirmation bias, where you're only going to read and watch and listen to what confirms your pre existing beliefs. And so the more diversify the news media becomes, the more you're finding sources of information, including on social media, that are just fitting what you want and believe and want to hear. It's not like five television stations and these anchors giving everyone the same kind of news. It's your social media algorithm.
Speaker 5: Being changed to Diversifying news media is very generous to these thing TikTok idiots. You know, so you're a professional journalist, you went to school for this, You've been doing a long time. You know, how do you feel when these you know, podcasts whatever come in and they you know, they just put the news for everybody, and then and then you try to clean it up, but then you know it's already.
Speaker 4: Kind of lost. Cause I mean how I feel you can't say a few to them. This is basically you can tell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will note that they get their information from journalists and reporters like the ones that political people who are on the ground, who are talking directly to the politicians to the vote.
Speaker 4: Sorry, who is they? What do you mean they get the TikTokers people they gave from you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, they wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Know the half of the way it comes out the other end of the.
Speaker 6: It's strained, there's a filter.
Speaker 4: It's digested and turned into.
Speaker 6: They're taking they're taking news from an original source.
Speaker 5: Well, well maybe you can talk a little bit about that, because you know, you're like a you couldn't be more of an insider in terms of not just covering politics, but journalism, and so sometimes I think the lay person you know, like myself included. We hear things like the unnamed sources or uh, this was off the record, or you know, you hear about you watch enough Aaron Sarkin, and you're like, oh, they need the news editor needs two confirms sources before we can publish this. And you know all this because you're in. It's almost like the etiquette of news. But the general public just reads the final article and they don't know what went into that. So they see a quote and they go, well, this could be fake. And by the same token, someone else can go, oh, all I need to do to do news is put things in quotes. And then so I mean, how what can you just lead us through what goes into a news story?
Speaker 6: Sources are first person sources. Sometimes the sources are the politicians themselves. There is I'll let you figure. Sometimes I haven't done this myself, but you will have quoted someone who is familiar with the principles, thinking that could be a politician. They're familiar with thrown thinking that blind.
Speaker 5: Quote is a politician rights in they are giving you anonymous quote but is themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so I do that all the time. I always say, Ryan Chang is.
Speaker 6: But you would be a person familiar with Ronnie Chang think you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a pleasant familla.
Speaker 5: Ryan Chang's thinking things that he's the best holes on a daily show, and I'd do.
Speaker 1: Every single day.
Speaker 4: People got out anonymous sources.
Speaker 6: So that's rare what I just described. But the more direct and close you get to the story, the more accurate it is. And yeah, trust in journalism and institution is that an all time low. It's pretty devastating for someone like me who's worked so hard and works so hard in each story to make sure that I talk to as many people as possible, verify it with as many people as possible. And it's not even just both sides. You're talking to as many sides as possible, because there's not a two side situation actually in most news stories.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean not to put you on the spot, but can you give an example of a story that you worked super hot on that something on Twitter was like dude, this is fake or whatever.
Speaker 6: I think that's happened, like every hour to be hover.
Speaker 4: Everything you report is just mute them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but so can you just again just take us through kind of what we'll go into a reporting for you, Like if you know I don't know what's a new story that you had to like actually investigation.
Speaker 6: I might try to think of a good example, but I just don't say that it's such a privilege to do what I do because every day is different. So I don't even have a proper example for you because every story is different. But you can get a tip. It'll be via text. If you've worked in journalism, political journalism for as long as me. People are just they'll go directly to you before they go to any other news outlet or a reporter or anything like that. They don't want to tell you on the record, but they'll tell you on background. You got to get confirmed by other people who might know, and you're just jumping through all these hoops but making sure that every detail is as accurate as possible. And the way to make it accurate and have people trust what you do is to get it right, and it's got to be accuracy over speed. It is a very competitive business, and you do want to be first, and there is a thrill and there's a necessity of breaking the story, but you've got to get.
Speaker 4: It right sure, And how do you like navigate that?
Speaker 5: Like, like what you just said, you're you putting all this work into into kind of checking your sources and backgrounding for making sure what.
Speaker 4: You put out is correct, Like like, how do you.
Speaker 5: How do you let people know that that's how much work you put into it, you know, how do you show the the work that you've done.
Speaker 4: Just right in the end, you just go, what this is correct?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, because what you what you said, what you've reported was about to happen eventually happened.
Speaker 4: Oh okay. Yeah.
Speaker 6: A lot of political news journalism, especially with outlets like political is being able to not just predict but say that something is to come, say a major Supreme Court decision on abortion access on Row and on Dobbs. We had that story first and it came to be. And so I think that's how you build up the reputation.
Speaker 4: Sure that you have broken correct news before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and off the record means, you know, it's like a conversation you've never had, but it helps inform your knowledge. And I think the key is just to be talking to people all the time, mornings, nights, weekends, you're just like in it is that what you call like like cultivating sources, cultivating sources, But it's also I mean it becomes a way of life because you love what you do, they love what they do. And you're never friends necessarily with people in politics, but you build a trust and it becomes a give and take over time.
Speaker 5: Sure, and as an insider in this, like do you have you can you confirm that these people are.
Speaker 4: Scumbags? Are they nice people?
Speaker 6: These? It's like, I mean, like I used, so these folks are scumbags. Like I might be one too because I'm like that into it. Okay, so it did Ronnie just call me a scumbag.
Speaker 4: That's okay, right, I'm also a scumbag and all this. So but like, yah, scumback tonight. But no, don't clap that. It's awful, you know.
Speaker 5: But what I meant is that is that is that difference like you are with them every day? Yeah, so I guess is there actual who they are as a person different to who they put on? Like we see all this chaos and extreme rhetoric. Yeah, then behind the scenes they're like, man, that's crazy. I can't believe I said that's you know, oh they do that? Yes, okay, well that's awful.
Speaker 6: Then there was a performers element to everything there is to television, there is politics and yeah, when you get to know someone, you can be, you know, a different version of yourself, or at least a more laid back version.
Speaker 5: Okay, so is who can you tell me who's not as crazy as there is MTG?
Speaker 4: And she?
Speaker 6: Oh she's a great interview.
Speaker 4: Oh she's a great interview. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, Wait, am I hamming your sources right now by trying to no? Okay, is Donald Trump? Have you you followed Trump? You've interviewed him?
Speaker 10: Is he?
Speaker 6: So? I Donald Trump served on jury duty in Manhattan several years ago when he was running for president the first time.
Speaker 4: But he was on jury duty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I was with him. This was years ago. This was what men and he was just sitting he was sitting there reading newspaper clips about himself. I don't remember the case. He didn't get picked.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry Wait, hang on in twenty sixteen, don't twenty fifteen Donald Trump was on jury duty in Manhattan?
Speaker 6: Yeah, whish for day? I mean, this is listen when people are still getting him and I'll just say what he who was like that? I mean he was like chilling in the room with other potential jurors and talking with them. And I mean everyone who's in politics has some level of charisma to them.
Speaker 4: Sure arsthma.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're just confirming he's a charismatic figure. I mean yeah, yeah, okay, okay, But I mean, tell something we don't know, is he is a good person.
Speaker 4: What did he vote for the jury? What was the case was he he didn't get picked for the jury? Yeah? No, ship, I mean, how how are you gonna pick Donald Trump for the jury? It doesn't was he doing there?
Speaker 1: What was he?
Speaker 6: He is? Just he is a civil dude, duty duty Donald Donald Trump with people with voters is very not just charismatic, but he connects with some people and they feel like they've been seen by him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So he came when he was on trial, a criminal trial, convicted for falsifying business records. He did this stop at a bodega in Harlem and they kind of loved him there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no kidding, I can believe that, Like that's why he got elected by overwhelming Yeah.
Speaker 4: You and I mean you've seen you've seen kind of New.
Speaker 5: York kind of become a bit more kind of heading a bit more conservative in the last couple of years. I mean, this is something you foresaw is that, I mean, can you explain this?
Speaker 6: So the selection of Trump to return to the White House shows that it's not an aberration, right, that this might be where the country actually is heading.
Speaker 4: And there's.
Speaker 6: Voters, there's an electorate that needs to be heard, especially on economic issues. And as far as New York, he made some serious gains this year, gained over twenty twenty gains over twenty sixteen, and that again had to do with a lot of voters of color, Latinos in the Bronx where he had a rally, a lot of Asian voters as well a lot of people who turned out to vote for him. That maybe Democrats are alleged to have taken advantage of or you wouldn't think necessarily would I taken for granted? Have taken for granted? And then you wouldn't expect to necessarily vote for for Trump, right, And maybe maybe they maybe they're a political or or not necessarily identifying with one party another.
Speaker 5: And what do you think like appeal to them more the incoherence in policy or the or just the out right racism or was it the I mean, and.
Speaker 6: Potic's bluster goes a long way, A really really long way. So there's messaging is a huge part of running for office of your party doing well, you know in the White House and the Senate, in Congress, and in the end, the Democrats just did not have as strong a message as the Republicans. And it's not necessarily just about Republicans. It's about Donald Trump. He is this brand. It wasn't maga, you know back when he was running in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen. And now he's built out this brand. He's built a name for himself, and he stands for something that people think resonates with them.
Speaker 5: Sure, okay, well on that, I mean what, I really appreciate you, you know, giving an air of professionalism and maintaining your standards and giving us some insight onto the politic. No, it's okay, you called yourself a s comeback as well, so I guess well even But yeah, thanks for coming on the show, and thanks.
Speaker 4: For continuing the great journalism and professional.
Speaker 5: Standards and trying to tell us exactly what's going on objectively with no emotion whatsoever.
Speaker 4: So let's all report and know everybody O ill thoughts off with tonight about here. It is your moment of that.
Speaker 10: Some of the president's alex advisors have suggested that you should resign.
Speaker 4: If he asked you to.
Speaker 12: Leave, would you go No?
Speaker 10: Can you follow up on do you think that legally you're not required to leave?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 9: Paramount Podcasts.