Speaker 1: But you know, I guess, I guess this is just what do you call that public announcement to Hollywood. I'm sure they're listening to me. If you if you need a bitch, don't ask me to read for it. Just no, I can do it. No, I can deliver. Hi. My name is Angela Kinzie and I can bat right and left handed.
Speaker 2: You're a distrous that's right.
Speaker 1: So when you need your you know, weekend softball team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a writ ye me up. You're a switch hitter.
Speaker 1: I'm a switch hitter.
Speaker 2: I don't think that applies.
Speaker 1: I'm a switch hitter.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, and welcome to another delightful episode of Off the Beat. You are listening to the malifluous, harmonious, the dulcet sounds of me, your host, Brian Baumgartner. Guys, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I couldn't get a guest for today, so I just asked my friend to join me. Her name is Angela. I know you probably don't know her. She's she's an actor. She's got blonde hair, small frame, played an accountant on the show about a paper company. And it doesn't matter. She's my friend and we're going to have a little chat. Oh oh, you know her. Well, if you know her, you're going to love this episode. In addition to some office talk, Angela and I are going to talk about her childhood in Indonesia, her comedy training, her cooking prowess, and of course, her award winning podcast Office Ladies, which she hosts with our other friend Jenna Fisher. You might not know her, She's all right, you probably know her. Without further ado, I am so excited to have on my next guest, which needs no introduction, Angela Kinsey.
Speaker 4: Bubble and Squeak. I love it, Bubble and Squeakna, Bubble and Squeak. I cook it everymore. Lift over from the night people, Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: What's happening, body, what's happening? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Oh my god, look at you? Green Bay.
Speaker 3: I got the green Bay shirt on today. I've got I've got the glasses on. I'm experimenting with glasses. Angela.
Speaker 1: What's the experimentation? Do you need them or not?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Wow, no, my my brain says, I don't my eyes. That's a crazy say I that I do that. It's very helpful.
Speaker 1: I remember going to the eye doctor when I was. I think I was like forty four, and and I was kind of squinting at things, and he goes, how old are you about? Like forty six? I was like, how dare you? He goes, it's time like clockwork.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy, that's what they say. It's like forty six is when it starts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I don't know. We'll see. I just got them. Well, we'll experiment, we'll try.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It seems unnecessary.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm seeing the office, lots of office ladies, things behind you.
Speaker 2: Are you at home? Are you in your studio?
Speaker 1: This is my closet.
Speaker 2: Your closet, I know, I see on the Instagram.
Speaker 1: And they set it up for me. So it's got this you know, the soundproofing stuff.
Speaker 3: Me too, see my sound proofing stuff of ownness.
Speaker 1: And then I you know me, Brian, I love a little chatchkey level. So if if people send me stuff, I hang it on the wall behind me. Basically, oh yeah, so send me something, I'll hang it on the wall.
Speaker 3: That's nice of you. You're so nice, Angela. That's what everyone says.
Speaker 1: Do they really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they do. Can I tell you?
Speaker 1: I am a real like I have really taken a turn on small talk. Oh, like a turn like down, like I'm not good at it anymore. We were just at the.
Speaker 2: Weather is beautiful today, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are you no stopping it? I feel for your stupid small talk. I'm like, wait, is it? I like looked out the window.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I was at my son's you know, winter concert the other night, and this parent was like, how's it going, and I, you know, when I blurted out, oh, our minivan, I guess something's up with the axle. This is a.
Speaker 2: Parent barely know.
Speaker 1: They looked at me like, why.
Speaker 2: Are you telling me about your mini me? I? I, well, you know what's so funny? Not forty five minutes ago.
Speaker 3: I just had a small talk exchange with someone who came to my house to do a little work, and it was out how to. I don't think he's a big fan, so I don't think he's going to hear this. You know, it was this, Hey, I heard I was coming to your house and you're my friend's favorite character.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I don't really watch television. Are you still shooting that show The Office? No?
Speaker 3: No, we no, we're done with that. Yeah, he told me about something about chili. Yeah, that was that was me.
Speaker 2: That was me. That was me. So what what are you working on now? I mean literally, it just kept going and going right in front of the thing.
Speaker 1: At any point in your day, you can have a full on interview by some students.
Speaker 2: Right it was. That's how the end.
Speaker 1: Of it usually makes you feel shitty about yourself.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, that's how it ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, anyway, I don't watch television, but I think, oh, actually the last thing he said was but I think I saw you play poker once. Oh great, yea, yeah, that was that was probably me, probably me back in twenty twelve. Anyway, Well, here's the thing. Now, I'm good to ask you all these kinds of questions. So that's fun, really fun.
Speaker 1: It's so fun to interview someone you know and you know the answers.
Speaker 5: To well yeah, and so like like like me, I feel like everyone knows your story at least, even if they don't know you, they know your story.
Speaker 3: They probably saw you play poker once on television. But there are a few things my research team did or I actually did not fully know.
Speaker 1: They found some nooks and crannies.
Speaker 2: Well I don't even know how Nooki and cranny it is, you're gonna get nookied.
Speaker 3: No, there were a couple of things I didn't know. I mean, first off, you grew up in Jakarta.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: That's a city in Indonesia. I've heard you speak Indonesian many times. Bahasa bahassa, Bahasa. Okay, yeah, you speak Bahasa. Have you heard this phrase third culture kid?
Speaker 1: Yes? I have.
Speaker 3: So, I mean for those of you who haven't, I'm glad you have because I hadn't. Actually what this refers to our people that they have this third culture right There's so you have your sort of home culture you're moved overseas, then you have the culture that you're living in there, and those two together kind of make this third culture. Does that resonate for you? Do you feel like that's how you grew up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure. You know, we had this young gal right in to office Ladies my podcast who was also a third culture kid, and you do you you know, you're sort of fish out of water everywhere, so you're not quite part of the culture where you grew up. And then when you go back to what would be your home culture, you're don't you don't quite fit in there either, And I think it's why a lot of kids that went to international schools wherever they are, they're all over right. They really bond with each other and they stay in touch. My school, Jakarta International School, is having their reunion at the end of this month. They picked different cities and it's going to be in Los Angeles this year. So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, going to go.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: That's super cool.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited. My sister has been to many and you just you it's a it's like a club. You're not in until you're in it, you know, and then it's special to you to sort of connect with other people. And the other thing about growing up in another country too, when you move back to wherever it was you're from. At least for me when I was a kid, because I am one hundred years old, so this was the seventies, and I lived in Indonesia all through the seventies and into the early eighties, and in the mid eighties I moved back to the US. And you when you said goodbye to people, you just said goodbye. There was no internet, there was I'm not I'm going to text you. It was snail mail. It was like, oh okay, and then you would have a friend or two, like I had a friend Kate Livingston in Australia. Kate, Oh my gosh, if you hear this, please like, I would love to talk to you. We wrote for years and then my letters started coming back because I guess they had moved and I don't know how to find Kate.
Speaker 3: I don't know where she is Livingston. Reach out to Angela. She wants to hear from you.
Speaker 4: Kate.
Speaker 1: Sarah remember and Kate. They're from Australia and Kate, you would make front of your sister Sarah because she had freckles, and you'd be like, I fly, just shed all of you face. Sarah, do you remember?
Speaker 3: I don't remember, but hopefully she does. I would look, I want to make a connection. Well, I was going to ask you if so it seems like not. So there's no one that you're still in contact with. Oh yeah, lots, Oh they are, yeah, okay, Kate, not.
Speaker 1: Kate, but my friend Carnsa and I we text all the time and share pictures and I have a few friends that we used to do a yearly meet up. It's kind of harder now because everyone has kids and stuff. But it's, you know, such a fond, fond chapter of my life.
Speaker 2: Have you been back?
Speaker 1: I have been back in my twenties, but I haven't. But then, you know, then we got the office, and that was my whole thirties, Brian, my whole thirties.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: And you know what when people like see you out in the world now, I don't know how is for you, but they look at me and they're like, you're not thirty. I'm like new, I am met. It's shocking to them.
Speaker 2: It's I know that you don't still look the same. I know.
Speaker 3: I yeah, I was, I was. I did not remember if you had been back. So it's been since you're not since your twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been back.
Speaker 1: I want to go back again, but it's you know, it's just harder.
Speaker 3: Jakarta has somewhere around seven million people. Yeah, and you returned back to the United States and settle. I guess I don't know if I thought the word you settle in Archer City, Texas, where there's fifteen hundred.
Speaker 2: I think there's.
Speaker 1: Eighteen hundred now, Brian, I think I'm talking about at the time, I just drove through in the population sign said eighteen hundred and my mom said, oh, that's way off. So I don't know, I don't really know where it stands.
Speaker 2: There's more, thinks there's more.
Speaker 1: And there were a few raised eyebrows on the car that might not just might disagree. My dad was a drilling engineer, but he was from the small town in Texas. And when we were transferred back stateside, we were transferred to Dallas. Brian Dallas in the eighties was carezy. Wow, it was crazy. People were like my first day, my first day of school, there was a girl sitting next to me. Her name was Bobby Bobb. I this is in Dallas because we were there a year. We had like a transition year. My dad was before. My dad was like, let's get out of Dallas, let's go back to the farm. But Bobby had a patch on her eye, just one eye. And you know, I was trying to make a friend. I'm new and I said, oh, I said, do you have pink eye. I'm trying to think what's the patch about. And she goes, oh, I got eye on her tattoo, my alid and it's infected. And we were fourteen I was like, Dallas is like a whole other.
Speaker 3: Animal here, Bobby, if you're listening, reach out to Angela. She wants to connect. She wants to connect with you. Bobby, b bbe I.
Speaker 1: Bobby was very nice to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I'm sure her eye is better.
Speaker 2: It's probably better. Now was this moving? Well?
Speaker 3: So you spend a year in Dallas and Dallas is a big city. It's not seven million, certainly not at the time, not even close. Talking about that third culture kid thing. Now you're back in this culture archer city so small? Was this difficult for you?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Well, let's let's start with Dallas. Because Dallas was my first entry back into the States and people didn't know what to do with me. They had no idea what box to put me in. I you know, a lot of them had never heard of Jakarta, and I was also.
Speaker 2: I hadn't either until I met you buy.
Speaker 1: You stop it. I'm like, you stop it. I was so Also coming back from my school in Indonesia to the US, I was ahead and four subjects, so I started my day. Dallas is very very you know, the school system is very big. So you have middle school, which is just like seventh and eighth grade or seventh, eighth and ninth and then you have a high school that's like ten, eleven, twelve, And where I was, it was a huge school district. So I went to the middle school for half the day. Then my mom picked me up at lunch. I ate lunch in the car with my mom as she drove across town to the high school. The high school with ten eleventh and twelfth graders, and I finished the day there. So I was never at the middle school for after school extracurriculars. I was never there for pep rally. I was never there for anything. And then at the high school and I wasn't I didn't eat lunch with anyone. Ate lunch with my mom in the car. That's awful, awful, awful. And now think about fourteen year old me. I think I weighed seventy pounds. Yeah, and I looked I was just a bean pole. And also Indonesia, I didn't wear a lot of makeup. I didn't do my hair, and this was prime Texas, big hair, and I had straight hair, not a lot of makeup, you know. And my mom said that, and I remember this, I would cry all the way to school, and then my mom would drop me off and she would cry all the way drive back home. I know a way to take a third story to make everybody said it was a really, really difficult year. And sure at the high school, tenth and eleventh and twelfth graders, there were only three of us, three students that were not tenth, eleventh and twelfth. It was me and a young fella from Pakistan. And then there was a gal and I forget where she was from, but you know we were all third culture kids.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know who was the nicest to me at the school. And I never even smoked pot, Brian, I don't you know. I don't smoke marijuana. The stoner kids were the nicest. They were like they were like Jakarta man, sounds cool, can talk. They were the nicest. And I would, I would, that's who at the high school. That's who would like, chat me up. So shout out to nice stoner kids.
Speaker 2: Shout out just nice stoner kids.
Speaker 3: Shout out Pakistani kid, if you're there, please so nice.
Speaker 1: She was so nice to you, I would, yes. And then the gal, I didn't know because she was in a different program than I was in but I just knew of her. I knew there were three of us. And then the other thing was then we moved to Archer City, and I mean I went from a five a public school, you know, that's like the high school I was at, and Dallas looks like a community college to a to a high school. So I graduated with thirty four. Oh my goodness, that's yeah, and talk about they didn't know what to make of They were like, who is this lady coming in here? And I loved it. I ended up loving it. I hit that point where I was like, we had moved. I'd moved so many times. I was new to two schools in one year, you know, because I was new to the middle school and the high school. Right by the time I got to Archer City, I kind of have what the kids call the zero f's about everything, and I think I just went in there with that bravado and then it was a blast and I loved it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also am told and I'm asking more in terms of you acclimating or getting to know other students. I mean, it sounds like Dallas was a disaster anyway, but that you didn't have a television, No, until you moved back to the States. Yeah, so again, like, well, it's I mean, it's still the same today. It may be about video games, or it may be about sports, or you know, still some entertainment, some of those cultural touchstones that just help you.
Speaker 2: Really. I mean, now you and I know, like there's.
Speaker 3: A whole group of people who are friends because of the office, that communicate in the office language, that talk about episodes, that quote episodes that you know that that's part of their cultural identity. You come back, you don't know, not just Sesame Street or mister Rogers, but you know shows by the time you're fourteen that your parents are watching The Cosby Show or you know, I don't I can't date you specifically at that moment. My brain's not that good, but I feel like that's what I was watching, you know, early on in the eighties. Maybe I'm wrong, but you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, was that difficult for you to sort of make that adjustment? And there must have been times when you just didn't know what the hell anybody was talking.
Speaker 1: About all the time. Yeah, all the time. I didn't know what people were talking about.
Speaker 3: I didn't know the first Bueller's day off. That would be one that would have been for me.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw it.
Speaker 2: I saw that.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I thought it was so good. I was so excited. I like kind of went on a binge, like I would just like watch everything. But I mean I didn't know what a soap opera was, and there were girls talking about soap operas and talking about, oh, Marlena, days of our lives there, and I'm like, who's Marlena? What's happening? Sounds like things aren't going so good for hook, you know. I'm like, oh, no, there's and John Black, he's back. What happened to him? So there was all these references I didn't understand for a long time. Still every once in a while, well because there's big chapters. I had never seen a Brady Bunch episode, never seen one, you know. And then also when I started doing improv, sometimes I would walk out into a scene and a pop cultural reference would come up and I would have no idea. Someone said to me, someone said something about the green hornet one time, and I was like, I'll have another, please like shaken nutstood, thank you very much, And everyone was like record scratch and they're like, who is this person?
Speaker 2: That's when you just start talking Indonesian. Yeah, that's just.
Speaker 1: Really I know, Mahsakali. It's like, I'm sorry, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Did your parents speak Indonesian?
Speaker 1: By the way, my mom more than my dad. And then my older sister is still very fluent in it. Okay, she went back there and lived later in life. So and then my sisters and I just have a little shorthand where just enough so I speak it better than my other two sisters. And so because there's four of us, but we have enough of a shorthand that we can talk about someone at the mall, you know, like if there's a lady at the mall, we can say why to leeha. That's how my sisters speak it with a Southern accent. They love when I do this impression of them, just kidding. They don't, but yes, they put a lot of extra vowels.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You and I I'm trying to remember when we have told this story, if we've told the story public.
Speaker 1: I have been trying to like brainstorms since you reached out and we're like, and you want to come on, I'm like, what is he going to bring up? What I've been trying to like think, well, I know a few I know a few stories.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to bring up the fact that you and I had met before we met on the set of the Office.
Speaker 1: This is bonkers. This is bonkers. This is how when life just like circles back on you. Do you remember the day we figured it out? We were on set, Yes, and you guys all know me and Brian and Oscar I would say, of the whole entire cast, are nook back there? I think we spent the most concentrated time together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because we were in the corner. We were in the corner and we could put baby in the corner.
Speaker 1: They put baby in the corner. They put the idiots in the corner.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were on set one day. How did it come up?
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I mean I think it came up. So guys, Uh, Angela went to Baylor.
Speaker 2: For some reason.
Speaker 1: No Sicken bears, Sick and bears.
Speaker 3: No reason. I went to SMU in the aforementioned Dallas, which was not the same by the time I got there that it was in the eighties. And we started talking and she knew some people.
Speaker 1: We started talking about spring breaks, isn't how it came outarted. I feel like we were like I said something about I am telling you, Brian, we were talking about spring break because we were about to go on hiatus, and I said something. We were talking about places we'd been, and I mentioned that I went to Acapuco in college, and you said, I went to talk about we went to.
Speaker 2: In college and ire around and then.
Speaker 1: You said, yeah with with like a bunch of guys from SMU. And I said, I met a bunch of guys from SMU And You're like, these guys were fight outs and I was like they were fight out.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I don't even want to call it a relationship. You were hanging out for a brief period of time with someone that.
Speaker 1: A little spring break.
Speaker 3: Okay you. I wasn't going to go to any specifics. But while we're at it, what exactly happened? No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was very innocent, no real but we just hung out. We we sort of just like hung out for spring break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And anyway, we found out this is insanity that Angela and I not only did we go to Senior Frogs together, we were in the same van cave.
Speaker 2: We were in the same car to go to some club on the hill. I don't know he has some wee.
Speaker 1: Okay, I met one of you, one of the one of your friends. I won't say his name, right, I'm still in touch with by the way, still friends.
Speaker 2: Reach out today, don't still friends, still friends.
Speaker 1: He's lovely because you know, Brian, I'm like, once you're in my life, you're in my life forever. So I hope that if you meet me anyway. So we met at the hotel, and then his group of friends I guess you weren't with them at that moment invited us to dinner to senior Frogs. Yeah, and we all went in this van to seen your frogs. You and I sat at a dinner table together, except it was like a table for like sixteen people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was enormous and we weren't at.
Speaker 1: The same side table. But then we all piled into this van and went to some nightclub. Brian, it blew our mindset day because we literally were like, I went takapuco I was, I went to see your frogs. They were like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: I know, I mean the fact that is so, I mean, I don't know I wish there was some like specific memory that we could pull back.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we were, I mean, we were.
Speaker 1: In a van and akapugo together. That's pretty amazing. And when we discovered this over in the corner of accounting, we lost our minds and we got fussed at do you remember they were like they were like, hey, we're trying to film a TV show over here, Like John Krasinski was like, what the heck's going? And then you and I are.
Speaker 4: Like, we were in a van.
Speaker 2: We met ten years ago or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean at that point it had been that long that long or longer before. Yeah, yeah, and had never run into each other that we know of. I mean, we could have been in a van in La too. But that is so crazy when so that's a long story to say you went to be a long story.
Speaker 1: That's a long story to say though, that we our lives keep criss crossing, which I think is.
Speaker 2: Fun that that is true.
Speaker 3: But when you were at Baylor, did you have the thought that what you're doing, that this is what you wanted to do with your life.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't doing what I thought i'd be doing.
Speaker 2: No, I know you were studying English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was an English major, but I was a creative writing major, okay. And I always knew always that I wanted to write characters for my self, Okay, So that's what I wanted to do. And I my mom was very specific that she wanted me to go to a private religious college in the state of Texas. This is very specific because A.
Speaker 2: Qualifies.
Speaker 1: Okay, But so I am the youngest of four girls, and my three older sisters had all gone to college and dropped out and then gone back to school and got their degrees, and my mom had sort of seen how hard that was on them later in life. And so my mom was determined that I was not going to go to a big state school. I was not going to go to a party school. And so she like kind of gave me a list. Here's your list in Texas, lady, if you want us to help out with college. And then and and I went, and I toured Baylor. It is beautiful. The campus is beautiful. I had such a great time there. I loved him, Brian and Baylor is beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful where Baylor is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Hey, Chip and Joanna Gains are going to come after you.
Speaker 3: Chip, and Joanna come come join me. What was the moment for you where you said I'm all in?
Speaker 1: Well? I uh, well, Brian, here here's how it went. I graduated from Baylor. I got a job. I was offered a job at a publishing house, a little small independent publishing company there in Waco. And my dad was like, fantastic, and I was like, no, no, no, no, this is not I want to perform. And they're like, you want to what But of course they knew that. But that is not the degree I got. I didn't get a degree in drama and theater. So I sort of had always had this plan that I would go. I wanted to go to New York and I wanted to work on a late night talk show. I was obsessed with David Letterman. I used to record David Letterman ready for this, this is going to date me. I would watch David Letterman and I would get remember the tape recorders that were like long and flat, like a rectangle, and you would hit eject and put the tape line. I would hold that up and I would record his opening monologue in front of the TV. In front of the TV, and I would learn. I would like like practice his opening monologue and like study the beats of how he would tell it. I was obsessed, and so I graduate from Baylor. I don't take the job. I moved back in with my parents. O MG. My dad was like, what the heck is going home? We just payed for you this great education. And I wanted to intern in New York. So I had no connections. My family has no connections in entertainment. And so I found a phone number.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how I got this phone number. Literally, I think I bought one of those books, you know, like a kind of like a Backstage West kind of book, and I found all the talk shows and stuff, and there there was like a one eight hundred number that you could call, like a phone number you could call for NBC Rockefeller Center in New York. So you call the number, you get the main switchboard, and this woman's like, how can I direct you? And I said, I'm calling about internships. She's like, great, let me transfer you. And then she transfers you and you get this automated message that's like leave your name and information, someone will call you back. So I called and I did this for a few weeks and I would just go to this thing and no one would call me back, and I was getting so fed up, and my parents were like, are you going to get a job? And I'm like, oh my god. So then one day I called and the woman answers, how may I direct you? And I said, I was just talking to a woman in internships and I got disconnected and she said, oh, do you mean Nancy And I said yes, yes, I mean Nancy really and then she was like, let me connect you connects me. This woman answers the phone, Hi, this is Nancy. I said, Hi, I'm calling about internships. She said how did you get this phone number? And I said I lied, I've been calling for weeks and I lied, and they transferred me to you, and she goes, okay, can you be here Monday? And this was like a Thursday. I said I sure can, and she was like, great, I have two internships available. One is in the news department and one is on a new talk show called Conan O'Brien that no one had heard of and no one was watching at the time. And I said, great, I'll be there. I hang up the phone and I'm like at the phone like in the kitchen you know with the.
Speaker 2: Longer city and now you have to be in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on a Thursday, and I literally yell, Mom, I'm going to New York. I have to go to New York. She's like, what are you talking about? And then I told her this and she was like, no, she can't go to New York. I was like, Mom, I'm gonna go sell my car. She's like what, and then she's like, Bill, get in here, and I was like, this is my dream. I was like, I cannot stay here. If I stay here, everything you love about me is going to wither. This is what I want to do. And so I sold my car. Brain my dad got me a car and he wanted to teach me responsibilities. He put it in my name and I had to pay for everything, you know, insurance and whatnot. This was like part of my thing. And I sold the car and I used that money to move to New York. And my dad one day was like, probably shouldn't have put that title in your name. But they definitely knew how serious I was. So I guess that's a long long answer to tell you. I knew I was all in.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I knew I was. I mean when I graduated college, I think I was kind of, you know, in college, thinking like, yeah, that's what I want to do. Am I going to do it or not? And then then finally it was push come to shove, and I was like, if I'm going to do it, I have to do it now.
Speaker 3: I love I love that and you telling your parents what you love about me? Will die if I don't.
Speaker 1: I won't be who I am if I don't do this.
Speaker 3: One of the tidbits I did not know, so I've I've known forever you were an intern on Con O'Brien. I didn't realize that you specifically worked for Max Weinberg.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, again, do you have.
Speaker 2: A relationship with him? No? Currently? No, No, Okay, it didn't go so well.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. It was just an internship. It's just whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean he's he's particular, Okay, but he was totally fine. I once again, I stretched the truth a tiny bit, Brian, Okay, Okay, I applied.
Speaker 2: I got the in you told me what to s m U.
Speaker 1: I got the internship on Connin O'Brien, and I just was put into the general intern pool and there were writers interns, and the writer's interns got to be in the writer's room. There were interns. There was a music intern that got to be in the studio. Well, I wanted to be, to quote Hamilton, in the room where it happened. And the general intern pool was not it. You were just constantly going and getting people coffee or just running making copies for them, stuff like that. And all of a sudden, while I was interning a position for Max's intern, the music intern came available, and so I went to the executive producer, Jeff Ross, not the comedian you guts, this is a different person, different Jeff Ross, and I was like, Hey, can I apply for that music intern? I'm sure He's like what is this kid doing? Because like why, first of all, why is she coming into my office? Like I'm the executive producer. Shouldn't she go tell the people who run the intern program. And so I, you know, went to interview for it, and they were like, tell us, you know, what do you know about me music? Do youd let me? I was like, everything, love music, It's my life. And for anyone that knows me knows that I know three words to any song. I don't know the full song. I don't know who sang it, I don't know what album it's on, I don't know the musical instrument I know. I'm like, I'm the worst on a road trip. I'm the worst because I know five words to the song you like and I'm going to get them wrong. And somehow they were like okay. And then the first day they were like, we need you to go to sir. You know, Max wants his drumsticks and he wants this, and there's this, and there was a list of all of these instruments and things that I had never even heard of, and I had to go to this place called sir.
Speaker 2: What's that stand for.
Speaker 1: Studio instrument rentals?
Speaker 2: I think, oh, but I.
Speaker 1: Learned from one band that they didn't think it was the best one and they called it shit in road cases.
Speaker 2: It's what I learned.
Speaker 1: But anyway, all of a sudden, I'm getting on and I just went into the guy into the office of this place, and I had this list and I said, hey, I lied to get this internship. I don't know what this is.
Speaker 2: Can you help me?
Speaker 1: And it turns out when you're really honest, sometimes people are like, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my gosh. That good for you though, That showed initiative. Yeah right, and it got you in the room.
Speaker 1: It got me in the room. And then I got to be there when everything was happening that I wanted to see, when Conan was practicing his monologue and when Andy Richter and him were doing stuff, and it just that's where I wanted to be. I wanted to be right there.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that story.
Speaker 1: And and full circle moment. Years later, I got to be a guest on Conan O'Brien. That was my first real full life circle moment with the band with Max that I used to be their intern.
Speaker 2: Did you talk to him when you were there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, hey, yeah, oh my gosh. I was so excited. And Jimmy Vavino, who was always so nice to me, and La Bamba the guy, the whole band was great. Then I got to be on David Letterman and I was like, I could not hold a thought in my head. I couldn't even reconcile the fact that this kid that would stand in front of this TV with her tape recorder and record this person I was now sitting on the sofa talking to him. I was, Oh, my gosh, full circle life moment.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: I love that, and that that was what you wanted to do, Yeah, to make it better.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. I love that.
Speaker 1: Thanks Bud.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys know.
Speaker 3: Angela Kinsey starred as Angela Martin in a television show called The Office for ten years, nine seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, that's all I had to say about that.
Speaker 3: We've talked to Angela in the past. You could go back and hear everything she has to say about The Office. I don't really want to talk about that time except to ask you a question that I get asked a lot post Office. How difficult has it been for you to separate yourself from the role of Angela Martin? And and is that even important to you at all?
Speaker 1: You mean when I'm going out for other jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for other projects, or just being perceived in terms of your work now.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely had a series of jobs after The Office where people just wanted me to be like a slight different shade of Angela Martin, just kind of a bitchy person, right, And I did have a moment where I was like, hey, I have done that for a long time, and I'm ready to do something new. And I got to do a few really fun characters. I loved playing the mom and tall girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tall girl too.
Speaker 1: And tall girl too, she's still tall. I played. That's my that's my tagline, my tagline, thank you, it's it was, you know. I got to be in all these great scenes with Steve's on and the young actors were so great too, and so I loved. I was like, oh, I can be kind of like a little bit of that ditsy, self absorbed mom of a certain age that loves her white wine. Just not that different maybe than who I am in real life. Closer low closer. So I had a good run at doing that too, and that was fun. But one of my favorite things recently was there was a show coming out and they reached out to me about a role and it was a producer that's done a lot Brian. You would know, said producer, and I've never worked with him before, but they said, we would like her to come in an audition for the role of this woman who's kind of uptight. She's personally she doesn't really have anything nice to say about anyone, you know, and I had this moment Brian where I said, no, no, here's the thing. I did that, and I did it really well for nine years. So if you want that, I can give that to you, no problem. So my audition is seasons one through nine.
Speaker 2: Of the Job fucking tape. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like, I want you to go to at the time Netflix and watch any episode of the Office and let me know if I got the job.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, yeah, good for you, Good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I said. I go any And then I told my I told my agent. I said, if anyone calls and asks me if I will come in and read for them to be the bitch, will you just forward them a link to the Office seasons one through nine. Yeah, thank you. Yeah, I'm done with that. And that's I think that's part of being in your fifties. There's some things you're just done with. Yeah, I'm done with you. I'm done with nonsense. I can play the bend. We know this, now do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, and and yeah. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's not ego. It's no, it's it's it's not like, oh I I Am not going to come and audition or read for you. But it's like the conversation that I have with with my representatives is basically like, dude, they know right now whether they want me or not, Like it's it's it's done. Like they don't have to hire me. They're they may be looking for a different color or a different whatever. But if it's if the role is in a specific window that that aligns with what I have done or you have done over many many years.
Speaker 2: Let's not waste each other's time.
Speaker 1: Let's not waste each other.
Speaker 2: Let's not waste each other's time.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's what I'm saying. If it is something I've never done before, or you haven't seen, or I haven't done that particular character, I am so happy to come in an audition. I like to work on a scene. I like to go in. But you know, I guess, I guess this is just what do you call that public announcement to Hollywood? I'm sure they're listening to me. If you if you need a bitch, don't ask me to read for it. Just no, I can do it. No I can deliver.
Speaker 3: You mentioned tall girl. Is that your favorite role since the office You've had a lot hater's back off.
Speaker 1: Yes, I loved Wives. Oh my gosh, Wives so fun.
Speaker 3: Impress me. I mean, what, what what is your favorite or what? How about this? Here's a different What is the work that you're the most proud of that you have done since the Office?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, I feel like there's moments where you just get to really stretch yourself a little. And definitely in Hater's back off that character, there was a real sadness to her even though it was a comedy, and I loved sort of dipping into that and I loved I loved tall Girl. And I had this recurring character on Fresh Off the Boat that was really fun. But recently Pam Adlon reached out to me and said, Hey, it's the final season of Better Things and I have this little cameo and but I'm going to write you this great monologue and will you come do it? And I was like sure, And I just wanted I just love her and I just wanted to be part of her final season and she wrote this moment that I feel like. I had people reach out to me about this scene. Brian text me like my phone was blowing up because it was just so honest. It was this mom who is just talking about her son going off to college, and she gets a little tipsy, she drinks too much sake, and she just kind of has this heartfelt monologue and then gets in the car and is trashed. Just but it was so tender and then also funny. I got to do so many turns, you know, as an actor, when you get to do lots of turns, And it's one of my favorite things I've done since The Office.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Small, small moment I've had. I've had bigger roles in other things, but I think it was just one of those moments where I'm like, oh, I get to do a lot in this one moment, and it's all about me. It's you know, the character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: I saw on the old Gram.
Speaker 2: Uh you got well.
Speaker 3: By the way, Angela Kenzie and Jenna Fisher host a podcast one of the largest in all of the land, Office Ladies, and I saw on the Gram you are entering the final season of rewatching The Office season nine.
Speaker 2: The first thing I saw was New Guys.
Speaker 3: I saw the title and I was like, wait, they're doing New Guys.
Speaker 2: That's the last season nine? Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like that's the last that's the last one. I mean, it's been obviously an enormous success. How much fun has it been for you? Not just working with Jenna so closely for so long, and I know how close the two of you are, but how much fun has it been to connect with so many other people that we worked with, and to really, over the span of years relive the show.
Speaker 1: It is my favorite thing I've done in my entire career, my favorite thing. It eclipses everything, and I you know, the Office holds such a special place in my heart, right it is. It is my favorite on camera thing. You know, you say, what was your favorite role after the Office? It's it's it's hard to really have anything measure up to the Office. Nothing real, I mean, nothing ever really will for me. That was just so special. And until we do The Accountants the spinoff, of course, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean when is that? When is that starting? Do we have a date yet to start it?
Speaker 1: This is a joke that I know, people that you know listen to Office Ladies know that me and Brian and Oscar used to regularly pitch that the spinoff would be called Los Contades and it would be on Telemundo. And and the tagline was oscar ahola ecaban so peacock. If you're listening, I would still do the Accountants because that would be so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do we have a date yet?
Speaker 1: Though we don't have a date yet. We need to set that. We need to get that out in motion. Okay, But doing the podcast with Jenna, reconnecting with the cast and crew and also with the community of people that love The Office, it is just amazing. I'm so humbled by it that our show lives on the way it does that it brings people together and I love it. I love it so much, Brian. It's one of the things I'm most proud of.
Speaker 3: How does it feel knowing that you're starting the last season and at least in its current form, it will be done. You'll have to say goodbye that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Office Ladies, Jenna and I have decided isn't going anywhere. We love doing this so much, so you know, when we're done with the rewatch, we do have an idea for a fun follow up cast, so a user teaser, teaser, a teaser. So we want to stay podcasting. We just love it, and I mean it's fine, Brian, isn't it You're so good at it. It's so fun.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's fine. It's my favorite part of the week.
Speaker 1: Yes, me too, Me too.
Speaker 3: This week because I'm about to do some traveling. I've done a lot this week, I'll be honest, but it is truly the time getting to talk with old friends like you, and I mean the fact that we've known each other for a long time.
Speaker 2: I'm not calling you old.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm fifty two and meeting and meeting new people.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I just yeah, I love it. I love it. I love it too.
Speaker 1: Brian Cranston just came in the studio with us, and I mean Brian, I hung on his every word. He literally is someone who could read the phone book like just the way he talks. And he ended up asking us questions and I was like, wait, Jen, I think you just interviewed us. It was just so interesting. But like you said, I was like, gosh, just to have you know, an hour and a half with Steve Correll or you know. Oh, we talked to Kelly Cantley, and I know you have to just the people. Kelly was the ad on the office, assistant director and just people were so dear to us and special and to be able to just sit and chat with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a gift. Are you going to be sad though? When the rewatch is done?
Speaker 1: I will be.
Speaker 2: I will be.
Speaker 1: I've really loved rewatching the show. I hadn't seen the show all the way through since it aired. There are many episodes that we're watching, really and truly I haven't seen since that first week when it was on Remember Appointment television on Thursday nights on NBC. So I am going to be sad. But I told Jenna, I was like, maybe we'll just rewatch the whole thing again. That is not our spin off podcast, but that's.
Speaker 2: The way to keep it going.
Speaker 1: But I actually actually instead of like like toll Girl too, it's like office ladies, still watching, Watch still watching. But I told her, I'm serious. I think now that the podcast, like we've rewatched it all, I kind of want to just go back and rewatch it now for me, you know what I mean? Right, just as an audience.
Speaker 3: Now, I haven't asked you this either, are you? And now obviously you know for scheduling and all of that, you I'm sure there are times where you're maybe recording more than one in a week or you know you're you're ahead of obviously when it airs spoiler alert. That's how it works. Yes, what's your process like? Are you watching it weekly? Typically? Like one episode?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's here's my work week ready, okay, okay, So we record on Thursdays, right, and then my work week. Then it sort of starts again after Theday. So Thursday's like my Friday, guys, and then on Friday, what I do is I watch the next week's episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I'm asking.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I watch it first time on Friday. Then on Sunday, I watch all the bloopers any like bonus scenes, and I also have the shooting drafts, so then I will on Monday, I read the shooting draft and I look to see, like what stayed in what didn't. I'll look to see what kind of they call them the candy bag alts. We talk about this on Office Ladies. Those were all the like extra stuff we might read for a talking head, the monologues we would do. Then Jenna and I decide who do we want to reach out to. Okay, Brian directed it. I'm going to reach out to Brian because I have a few questions about this one scene, and then maybe she reaches out to a cast member. Then we look to see any articles written about the show at the time. I look through all my old emails to see if we were trading emails about something at the time. I look through old photos. We just we really dig deep into it and try to find all the layers about that episode. And then on Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll watch it again all the way through, because now I have all this information, so I'll watch it again to see if I missed anything, if there's any background catch, if there was a fan question, and then we record on Thursday. So typically I watch an episode of The Office three times, the same episode.
Speaker 2: So you watch it how it aired. I watch it how it.
Speaker 1: Aired with no information. I just watch it just to watch it, watch it, and then I watch it after looking at the shooting draft. Yeah, our bloopers are deleted scenes things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great, I mean that's that's that's going to be a lot that you're going to miss. Then yeah in a short few yeah week slash months.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and then the other thing too that's interesting to me is that you know, I'll watch an episode that we prep three times, but a fan has seen the episode seventeen times. You know, everybody knows the show way better than we'll ever know it, Ryan, even with all of our like unturning, like different behind the scenes information. Yeah, but the actual episode, no one will ever know it better than the true Office fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny. He just reminded me.
Speaker 3: And I can't remember how many times it was, but I had the opportunity to interview Billie Eilish and I know you've talked to her and I whatever it was, I posted about it online like she's watched it fourteen times. It was fourteen or seventeen or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's like thirty something probably.
Speaker 2: And no, that was her. That was her number.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And in all of the comments, all it was was people making fun of her because she hadn't seen it enough. Oh my goss, god, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Guys, back off, guys, come wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she knows it so well.
Speaker 2: She knows it very well. Yeah, she knows it very well.
Speaker 1: We did a like a quiz with her when she was on Office Ladies, and she just skunked me and Jenna. I mean, she skunked Jenna. I came in.
Speaker 2: Second, rame in second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rain would come significantly behind Jenna.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that Rain is hilarious. Whenever we reach out to him about an episode, we're like, hey, Rain, this is an episode. You know Dwight had a really big story arc in. What do you think about this? You'd be like, Oh, yeah, I don't I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, I know, I remember.
Speaker 3: I talked to him and it was like within six minutes, and I think he and I talked for almost two and a half hours. Within six minutes, I had all my pages, I had all this prep done, and my brain went only macro questions, no micro quet like, no, no specifics. Uh huh no, Yeah, it's yeah. Good for him.
Speaker 1: That was very Southern. That was kind of like, bless his heart.
Speaker 2: Bless is heard, good him, bless his heart.
Speaker 3: I have a new scoop to deliver to the world today. Unless someone wrote a press release today, Uh, you and your amazing husband Josh Snyder just sold.
Speaker 2: The cook book. Congratulations, thank you. What is it? What is it about?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have been wanting to do a cookbook together for a long time. You know, I do that amazing baker. You know this. You've been on our YouTube series Begging with Josh Nan.
Speaker 2: Yes, both baking and cooking, just baking.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: We did Cooke, didn't we We made chili once.
Speaker 1: We made chili once. Yeah. So Josh has a ton of recipes. He's a food blogger and he's awesome, and we have our family favorites and our kids' favorites, and we just really wanted to finally put all of our favorite recipes and cookbook that we can share. And I'm just so excited even just for our kids to have it. So it's gonna be recipes plus little stories, slice of life photos and stuff like that, and we're super super excited about it.
Speaker 3: It's basically like Josh and Ange's family favorites.
Speaker 1: Yes, family favorite. That is not the title. I can't release the title yet. Oh we're gonna have a big reveal.
Speaker 3: Okay, I understand that. But that's but that's amazing. I love that idea.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Well, you've done two cookbooks so.
Speaker 2: Well one I'm in the I'm in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's yes, I have the barbecue cookbook that's coming out in a few months here, the Chili cook book.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's work. It's a lot to get it all together.
Speaker 1: You know. Right before I hopped on the podcast with you, we had a phone call with our publisher and she was going through the dates that we have to turn things in and this, and I I could see Josh doing that thing he does where when Like, for example, we were in Scotland and we asked directions and this guy talked for about ten minutes to us, and I could tell Josh didn't know a single word he said. He he gets this look in his eyes of like uh huh huh. And so I mean he's very excited about it. But like as we were listing things off, I could see he was like, oh this this is gonna okay and when when? And oh that's a lot okay. So it's a ton of work. As you know, Jenna and I's book, The Office BFFs. It took us three years and seven months to write that book. Now, if we did start writing it, we started writing it during the pandemic, to be fair, and all of a sudden, what I'm teaching, you know, fourth grade science. Are you kidding me? Like we're homeschooling? Like I get a list, I got it, I need a beaker and some string, and I'm like, what am I doing? And I also have to go write a book? Yeah, Brian, I should say that, just so you know. We did. We did tease it on the podcast on Office Ladies and that came out last week. So I don't you're not we don't care.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen if I say it's breaking news.
Speaker 1: It's breaking news, it's breaking news. Okay, that's fine. I just wanted you.
Speaker 2: To know it's okay. No, it's totally fine.
Speaker 3: I uh am so happy for your success. I'm so happy that you're happy. More than anything, I'm happy that you're happy and that you're enjoying it so much and you're giving such joy to so many people.
Speaker 2: I'm uh, I'm just frying. No, I'm just so happy for you.
Speaker 1: That makes that makes makes me. It's so sweet. I just love you so much, Brian. We we weathered a lot together over in that corner, and a lot of laugh Oh my gosh, a lot of life happens in nine years, and you were always there for me. You were always there for me. And I just I just adore you well.
Speaker 3: I love you too, and I so appreciate you coming on celebrating the Office Ladies beginning season.
Speaker 2: Nine, the final season. It is, as they call it, it's the final countdown.
Speaker 1: It's the final countdown.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear where the show's gonna go. Yeah from there.
Speaker 1: We're very excited. We are super excited about it, and we so appreciate our Office Lady's family, and we we want to just keep doing it, keep doing it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm I'm really glad you are, And good luck on the cookbook. If you need any if you need any to I mean basically, all I.
Speaker 2: Told you was it's not easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might need might be more guidance than that.
Speaker 2: Find all right, I'll give you here. Here's here. Here's my here's my biggest best piece of advice. This is writing for writing a cookbook. Okay, find someone early to do the forward.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so smart, Brian, I hadn't even thought about the forward.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, good good.
Speaker 3: Find somebody early to do the forward. Okay, they'll appreciate it. And and yeah, because that's the one, because you're like they give you know, if somebody gives you a deadline, you have to do it. If somebody gives a theoretical deadline for a thing that isn't quite figured out yet.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well listen.
Speaker 1: I loved being on here chatting with you. I'll come back anytime because you're one of my favorite people on the whole planet. And you guys out there listening, be sure to write Peacock, give him a call, let him know you'd like to see the accountants los oscar Ahlai Caban.
Speaker 2: There you go. Angela Kenzie, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you, love you too.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you soon, Okay.
Speaker 3: Angela, I love you. Thank you so much for taking some time with me today. Good luck finishing off the rewatch of the Office and listeners. If you want to hear us talk more, well, then you can go back listen to Angela's episode on this podcast specifically about the office, or you can go to Office Ladies listen to the episode I was Casual Friday and many more.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 3: I will see you again right here, not this week again, but next week, so make this one a good one. Off The Beat is hosted and executive produced by me Brian Baumgartner, alongside our executive producer lingg Lee. Our senior producer is Diego Tapia. Our producers are Liz Hayes, Hannah Harris, and Emily Carr. Our talent producer is Ryan Papa Zachary, and our intern is Ali Amir Sahi. Our theme song Bubble and Squeak, performed by the one and Only Creed Bratton,