Speaker 1: Welcome everybody to this park Opper episode of Magical Rewind. And I know I say every week like, wow, do we have a special one for you? And they are all special because we're so excited when we get to talk to all the people that we've been watching and crushing on and enjoying and mocking maybe a little bit their films and then they come on and tell us why we're jerks because their film was awesome. We love all of this stuff and everybody we get to talk to is so special and they take the time to come on the show.
Speaker 2: But occasionally we.
Speaker 1: Have somebody who just we're amazed that they would even sit down and talk to us. And today is one of those days. We are so excited we're not going to wait any longer. Please help us Welcome the unbelievable, the incredible, the redoubtable at Bagley Junior.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you very good in yourself?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us.
Speaker 3: You remind me your name My name is Will, Will Sabrina. How are you Sabrina?
Speaker 4: So good?
Speaker 5: It's so nice to meet you. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. We did a lot of Disney movies when I was young, and I love the whole Disney franchise.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 2: This is me.
Speaker 1: I want to just remind you you and I were just together in Oh geez, where were we Idaho or Iowa or something? At a convention in Indiana.
Speaker 2: That's what I was.
Speaker 1: And we talked about Bill Daniels the whole time we did.
Speaker 3: The face was familiar. I didn't know from where. That's exactly where. It was really good.
Speaker 1: We had We had a lot of fun. But thank you so much for joining us. And we know that your career has been so incredible and so we don't know if you've ever had a conversation about hounded on Disney. Uh, and we figured as much. And so before we get into that, the first thing we always like to ask everybody is what attracted you to show business?
Speaker 2: How did you get to be an entertainer?
Speaker 3: My father was an actor. He had won a Tony Award, and then when I was about thirteen, he won an Oscar for Sweet printer View Best Supporting Actor. So I was very smitten with the business early on. I think if he was a plumber, i'd be fitting pipe. Now. I just wanted to do what my father did. Oh wow, And he was so good at it. He made it look easy. So I had it all wrong for those early years and when on lots of interviews, and I never got any work. Why because I hadn't trained. Imagine the son of a plumber saying, I'm going to take the truck today, Dad, I'll go the copper goes to the copper and the galvanized thes together, right, I think I can figure it out. You could never do it. But people who think their actors are acting as easy, you know, And I was a son of a famous actor. I thought it was. I just thought you just walked on set and started doing it. I didn't know there's any training. So I never got me work. And finally I got one day on a show after I did a little bit of training.
Speaker 2: Nice which show was the first one you got?
Speaker 3: It was my three sons. Freden McMurray. I worked with him over Disney, of course, on Charlie and the Angel, not Charlie's Angels, but Charlie and the Angel and Henry Morgan I think was the Angel and Charlie. I think it was fred McMurray. Kurt Rushy was in it too, So I did a lot lot of movies with Kurt there.
Speaker 1: That's right, another Disney I mean one of the original Disney kids was Kurt Russell. Correct, oh man, Okay, so you found you you you get you find that. This is what you have to do. You get into the industry. Now you start auditioning and working. When did you first join the did the world of Disney? What was your was that your first Disney project?
Speaker 3: My first movie might have been The Lot of Here, might have been a Disney movie. I can't remember the exact chronology, but the movie was definitely, uh, the Computer War ten Shoes, And I was on a panel of kids who were like the College Bowl kind of a thing, kids of a high school age praps, maybe a little bit older, who were part of this you know, science kind of you know, what would you call it a science marathon or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, whatever, that would be a yeah, college Bowl exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And Kurt Russell was on a team, but he'd been zapped by a computer. He was out at night, it was raining, and he got zapped by a computer. Everything was computer in those days. There was a new thing due to a tennis shoes. And the episode I did of my three sons was about computer dating. Oh wow, trendy and it, and so they started writing lots of shoes about computers. She was funny.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so fun.
Speaker 1: So then you, I mean, you had a very long career with Disney. I mean we were looking at some of the things that did. The nineteen eighty two was Tales of the Apple Dumpling Gang. Correct, And so I mean did you enjoy working on projects that were more geared towards young people. Was that something that you wanted to do or was it kind of like I'm working with Disney until I can get my big break in other big films.
Speaker 3: I just took whatever work was offered me, and the thing and everything a commercial and not very little what's offered me, but what little work, you know, I could get by auditioning and getting the part. And actually Apple Double Gang, the one I did was the TV that was in Uh. I think that was did you did you say eighty two? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that said it was eighty two.
Speaker 3: Sorry, eighty two was correct. I thought it was a little bit different. No, that was right, And yeah, and then I did uh and I did hounden in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the what. So we literally just watched it and we we broke down. So this is what we do on the show is we watch every Disney Channel original movie and we break them down.
Speaker 2: We were we are over one hundred.
Speaker 1: Movies in now Fantastic that we've watched, and so how Did was the last one. But what was interesting is that with the research we've done, How Did? Wasn't the first movie you did based around working with a dog?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: Right? I did? What did I do? I did?
Speaker 2: Was it the shaggy dog?
Speaker 3: Shaggy Dog? Was Shaggy Dog? Exactly right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And that was also working with kids, you know, working with young actors, and it was.
Speaker 3: It turned out very nice. I can remember the kid's name. We played the league, but it was very good. And Sharon Lawrence played my wife. That's right? Was it?
Speaker 1: Was it? Jeremy Sisto and Scott Scott Weinger was in it. Jeremy Sisto was in it.
Speaker 3: Jeremy was not the lead.
Speaker 2: I don't think that might have been Scott then Scott Weiner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a wonderful kid. So was Jeremy of course.
Speaker 1: So what it seems like maybe you you never got the acting memo of never to work with kids or animals.
Speaker 3: No, I never got that. I wish I had, but I didn't mind back then, being upstate. I just wanted to keep getting work. And if I had, you know, lurk in the background with a kid or the dog did all the work. I didn't mind.
Speaker 6: When Ben, when you so, when you were younger and you started acting, you saw what your father was doing. Did you, in your mind picture yourself going that same route of more of the drama.
Speaker 2: Uh kind of Academy Award winner?
Speaker 1: Or were you always attracted because you know, while you're a phenomenal dramatic actor and you've seen that from your six Emmy nominations and Saint elsewhere, and we'll get into all that.
Speaker 2: You're also a wonderful comedic actor. Is it is that?
Speaker 1: Did you have one poll in the industry that you were more interested in if you had the choice of which path to take?
Speaker 3: Nothing is right or as detail was out, I had no plan whatsoever, just whatever work I could get, comedy drama. Indeed, when I did that my three sons, I had a paper out at the time, and I kept my makeup on and went out in my paper out hoping someone would recognize me. I hadn't even been developed yet my lone Friends and cut together or aired. So I thought, wow, I'm famous. Now I'm on the TV show. I wanted to be famous, you know, I wanted to be on TV, film, anything. And the authors did not come rolling in after the paper other at any point. So I thought, well, I got to work. And so I worked for several years as a camera assistant, you know, the guy that doesn't followup focus and loads of magazines and what have you. Sure, wow in the days of film, and so I did that for a while, and I was very happy that my fate was going to be a little different than that. I wanted to be an activate, but nothing happened. I was content, one hundred percent content to be a camera assistant. And then I got a job on A Room two twenty two. It was the original pilot, was written by James L. Brooks. Yeah, And so I worked on that and that gave me. It got me a second episode in the third and fourth. I did about seven of them, and so I then had the regularity of being on a set with people that were familiar with and I I lost all my fear of the camera before that, I had kind of most people do it starting out there with fear, Oh my god, the cameras right here, right next to my face. But of the scene we got the too quotes. But after that, after work with the getting to know the camera assistant, the cameraman and the gaffer and the actors and everybody, I got very relaxed. So the camera could be in a snorical camera go around anywhere, and I didn't mind it one bit. You know, I lost all my fear of the camera. I became totally relaxed in front of the camera. That's a good thing and also bad thing, because in the next decade I was relaxed in front of the camera, so relaxed on putting people to sleep. They have to have some zips, some spice and something going on, and I didn't have it. I had my vacant eyes and nothing more. You know, when I was acting, I just I just didn't want to. I was relaxed with too relaxed. So then I finally started to study again and studied with Peggy Theory. I studied with still Adler with Lee Strasburg at the Strasburg Institute, and I started to, you know, implement some one of those things. Thanks for my friend Bruno Kirby was a much better actor than me, and a dear, dear friend, and he was doing all that kind of important work to become a better actor. So I started doing it myself and it worked. I got more employment.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: So that was one of the William Daniels, who we have a friend in common told me, used to tell me stories about acting class and how he was in with Marilyn Monroe and all these people, and then he was constantly telling us about the different people that were in classes with them and how.
Speaker 2: You would form a camaraderie and a friendship.
Speaker 1: Did you find that to be the case when you said Bruno Kirby somebody there and I know that he and Billy Crystal were friends for a long time. I mean, were you part of kind of that crew of the up and coming actors and comedic actors, especially at the time.
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, I became friendly with Bruno and we found ourselves for like the third time, in a waiting room outside an interview, waiting to go in and be recorded, or just the audition down and recording device before a casting director and somebody else. But I remember you. I spent you a few times before, and I realized he was a junior too, and we were about the same age. He was a great guy. He gave me a ride home, so I went, this is a palful life. And I had a very good friend in Bruno until he passed in two thousand and six. But he was also he was definitely my inspiration to go back and study and not just settle for half measures, to really become serious about acting. And he went on to do Godfather too, and Donny Brasco and you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a ton of things.
Speaker 1: City slickers and sleepers, and I mean, he had a wonderful career.
Speaker 3: Wonderful career, passed too early. He was in his fifties. But we were very good friends. And Billy was part of that too, and the wonderful Rob Ryner, who we miss every day. Those who woe loved him.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to ask you about that, so one of I mean, you've been in some of the literally some of the greatest films in the history of Hollywood, and in with a group of actors that are arguably one of the best companies of comedians and of improv artists ever, and that's the kind of entire Rob Reiner Christopher Guest group. And so how did you get involved with that group of people which then led to this is Spinal Tap, which is the start of the mockumentary.
Speaker 3: It was through the National Lampoon, the magazine the Lampoon there was also which started with the Harvard Lampoon, became the National Lampoon. Saw that magazine starting in nineteen seventy a monthly magazine. Became addicted to that and somehow I had a friend of a friend and I met Michael Adoni who worked there, and I met I met a whole bunch of people. I won't listen them all, but I met Christopher Guest because he was in a recording studio one night and Tony Hendra, that's right, he was the editor of the magazine for a while. Tony Hendra went into this recording session, which was a Lampoon recording session now for the Radio Dinner album that had already come out. There's another album, I can't remember what, some thing and there was Christopher Guests why idolized from the Radio Dinner album and he and I realized I knew his sister alyssa guest, and through Harry Didnis, and the connections are many. I won't listen them all. But I became friendly with Chris, and I was friendly with Jeff Goldblum. Came close with Chris, but they did between the lines of some movie like that together. And then when Chris moved to La he became friendly quickly with Rob Reiner and a bunch of them in Bruno because they had a softball team. They gathered and played ball. I was no good at sports, but I hung around the background and took pictures. I was like the team photographer.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: It was great. It was great fun, and I met all those guys. So then when they were doing planning to do spinal Tap, when Ed plays the drums happened. Come in and play the drums in this sequence. It would be like an old kinescope looking thing, so it didn't have to be fancy cameras recorded look kind of crappy. That's a that's not a bug, it's a feature. So we did that. It was part of the way. I remember. It was part of the fundraising effort to raise money to do the movie. That scene in a few others, and it was so perfect that kinderscope looking poor quality that kept it in the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh it looked great.
Speaker 3: So that's how I got in there. Through Bruno and all those guys introduced me to Christopher the second time I'd met him the first time in New York.
Speaker 2: And this was mister Reiner's first directing directing a job, wasn't it. This is his directorial debut, was the first. Yes, could you tell right away what he was going to be?
Speaker 3: No question? He had it, you know. I'd seen him do a bit of improv work on stage for the Committee on Sunsett Boulevard. He was friendly with that group, as was I, and I knew he was very talented from all the family and other stuff. He did a TV movie with his wife Penny at the time, did lots of stuff, but it was very high quality as an actor, and so when I heard he was directing something, I wanted to be part of that. And certainly the same with Chris. So I got to work with them both in many films, and I feel so lucky to know them still, and the ones that have left us. I miss him every day.
Speaker 2: Sure well, Bruno was in it as well. He was had a wonderful both of you.
Speaker 1: I mean, cameo is not the right word because you weren't cameo and you just had these great bit parts.
Speaker 3: Right. It was great as the limo driver.
Speaker 2: Wonder So is is working with that crew?
Speaker 1: Is that one of those things where every time you get a call from Christopher guests and say, hey, we're doing a new one, you kind of perk up.
Speaker 3: Definitely. I always wait for that phone call, and it's just I wasn't in the last one. The last final tappened. It was very funny. Everything they do is funny. I just I love that gang, watching it or being in and I'll take anything I can.
Speaker 2: Wow, they are absolutely amazing. So we go from there.
Speaker 1: Now I have to ask because then you hear or I guess I should say, how did you hear about a little project on television called Scene Elsewhere?
Speaker 3: Oh, that I auditioned. I was about to sell my house in la I'd lived there my whole life, and I was ready to move sell my house and move to Atlanta. I figured it'd be a good spot to be a big fish in a small pond, not that big a fish, but not that small a pond, but I wasn't after fifteen years, I wouldn't be kind of working actor I wanted to be. So I was gonna I propose because we were behind a little bit in some credit card payments. My first wife and I Ingrid and I and I said, here's the solution. We'll sell the house, moved to Atlanta, and we'll be able to afford a place there pretty easily. It's much cheaper lived there than here. So let's do it. Let's lifts the home. My phone rings. I pick up the phone. It's my agent. Hey, Eric, how you doing? He said, good? An audition for saying elsewhere? I said, saying, what, what are you even talking about? I don't know what those words meant. So I went in the auditioned for a character that was a regular character, doctor Peter White. I read Burt and I did very good, so I was sure i'd get the right kind of call. My agent called me and said, sorry, you're not going to get this one. You didn't You didn't do it what they wanted. And I couldn't believe it because I thought I read great and I didn't get that part. It was a regular part. So they threw me a bone. Offered me a character apart that had like two or three lines, three at the max, maybe just two, and I wanted to be in the show so bad I said yes to that. This big part, Peter White, the part that I wanted, went on to be a regular, of course, but it only lasted a season and a half. He was shot dead. He was a hospital rapist and shot and killed after the you know, first year and a half or something, and I the character had two lines maybe three, but on to be one of the more popular show popular characters in the show. So everything that I wanted has never been nearly as good as what I've actually gotten. I'm very lucky. Will definitely Sabrina, I'm blessed as a message to takeaway from this.
Speaker 1: And yes, so I have to ask because he's so important in not just my acting life, but just in my life in general. So I met William Daniels when I was sixteen, and we were together on a show for seven years, and he's still very important in my life. What was and I think he was probably you know, late sixties when I met him, What was younger?
Speaker 2: What was working with a younger Bill Daniels?
Speaker 3: Like it was so exciting for me will because I had seen PARALLEXX View, I'd seen Two for the Road, I had seen all these wonderful movies that he did. He was so good the graduate playing the dad of the graduate, Dustin's father. Yeah, and he was as led. You know, a Broadway legend and a you know, film legend, and now dagn to do a TV show must be a good show if we can lure William Daniels and Ed Flanders for God's sake into the mix. And so I was just blown away with with Bill as a person as an actor and his wife Bonnie a great actress. So to get the two of them in my life, I just was walking on air every day and he really took me under his wing and explained some things but I didn't quite figured out yet, like maybe not to learn my lines in the makeup chair before I shot, Maybe look at them the night before a good idea had you want to get that a time, just a glance, to take a glance at them, you know generally what they'll be talking about. Because I had this curse for a while, I such a good memory. I could do that, I could get away with that. I could look at them. I could be out late at night doing this and that, partying or whatever the hell, come in to the you know, the stage and get in the makeup chair and look at them and learn them very quickly. So that turned out to not be a curse. Now. It was. Course, there was nothing like a blessing, that's for sure. Then, when I needed to do the work and have some background to the character and what have you, been in the right frame of mind to do it, I didn't have the time to do it. So it proved to be a bad idea every way.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I told you when we were at the convention, the best compliment I've ever gotten in my life on the set was I just finished the scene with Bill and he put his arm around me and he said, it looks like you're minue ed Bagley.
Speaker 3: Oh you told me that isn't that great?
Speaker 1: And it was just it made me feel so good. I was like, oh, I can't believe that just happened.
Speaker 3: So I'm just getting your rush out of it. Tube. That's got enough of me to say that about you. It was your wonderful work.
Speaker 2: Just so great.
Speaker 1: So that was I will never ever forget that. It was really magical, and then of course Saint Elsewhere goes on to do what Saint Elsewere does and makes television history as arguably one of the greatest television shows of all time. When you read the script, you obviously wanted to be on the show. But did you have an inkling that this show was going to be what it turned into?
Speaker 3: Yes? I did. I really knew from just reading that script. I didn't know what it was when my age and called me that day when I was ready to lift my house and move to Atlanta, had no idea what it was. But when I read that script to an old boy one or two line part, I'll take it. Maybe I can make it into something. And I did a bit either small role in that the writers had the biggest role, because it's on this Mutt and Jeff thing with being Bill Daniels. You know my height and his height and what having all that that implies, and him is this tough chief of surgery there at the hospital. It was just perfect and they had fun writing for it. So I got to write on their coat tails and on bills for six wonderful years. Lucky once again, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Before we get into Hounded, which is what we're here to talk about. I have one more question for you about another project you've done, because it's my favorite show of all time. And to be able to talk to somebody who'd been on the set, what was it like to be on mash Oh, it was.
Speaker 3: A dream come true because I loved that movie. Of course, I'm friends with Elliott Gould and still to this day, and I just loved the movie. Then I saw the TV show and flip for that, you know, Alan and everybody was so good and Mike Ferrell are just a great bunch of people. And then to get that call and to say, you know, I think they might have even offered it to me too. I don't know if I had an audition for it. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but it didn't matter. I was just happy and proud, to be honest. That was nineteen seventy nine. I did that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And to be just sitting there and the foling chairs waiting for the lighting to be finished to go and work with him, I just it was exciting, great conversation, great people, and just I couldn't. I had to pinch myself every day.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's so excited to hear that that was a good set.
Speaker 1: That means that means a lot to me because that's that's one of the shows that made me want to be an actor. So hearing that that was a good set to be on is wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I almost didn't get it. I was of it was often saying in Alaska, Yeah, I was. I was in Alaska on a fishing trip. There's lots in the middle of nowhere with no phones, but they had like an emergency radio or what have you. So I heard about the audition for the offer from a you know, like a short wave radio or something. Was crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The charge for six days starting to eighth over? Are you available for those days? Over? Like a phone call but not quite a sophisticated Oh man, Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: So what did you let's get Sabrina. Do you want to take take it from hounded here?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: So, I mean, can you kind of just take us through?
Speaker 5: Obviously you're just your career is just is. You've got so many incredible parts of your career that are just noteworthy. Where did it come into frame? As far as how did it the offer or this project from the channel come and get presented to you. Do you remember how this this project came up.
Speaker 3: I remember very well. It was like two thousand and two or three, something like that. It was a while ago that we filmed it in Salt Lake City. That came from a casting director named Robin Lippin, And here was a big book for me. At that point, I'd done quite a bit of work. I've done it. Had I done a Chris Guest movie, No, I hadn't. I done Spinal Tap, but I hadn't done any of the others yet. I don't think I do best.
Speaker 2: In I think, yeah, best in shows. I think of the nineties as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, I did best in show. But I so I've done some good works, I think. Yeah. I didn't have to audition rounded I know, that's for a fact. So I got the offer through Robin lipping And here was the big hook my wife. Okay, so that the part of your wife could easily be played by your wife. I said, if you can since that part of the deal, I'm in. You can get me for whatever you have in the budget. But if you get my wife and you're make it more attractive to me and make me hear in my own home right, And I don't know if they read her just looked at her real or something, but they were very enthusiastic about hiring her. I probably didn't need to interfere at all because she was, of course wonderful in the.
Speaker 6: Role and yet great.
Speaker 3: Unknown to me at the time, Shilah buff was so talented. You meet him in the first day of rehearsal before we even shot, went who is this kid? Where did he come from? He's so smart, he's so funny, and it's funny character that I would play in front of Shia for fun. It was a cigar smoking age that was a kid. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make a big star how sell with this project given built From there, there's gonna be tops in all the dog movies in Hollywood. From there, mook the horses, the horses who move up the cars and I just had this crazy, you know, improud kind of thing I did. It was a new agent and he loved it. St cars smoking agent was my character. Every day on the set. It was so funny. He would join and he was so quick and funny and he loved it. He was at the time, he was like I don't know, twelve or something. I can't remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Shiahs was little.
Speaker 5: It's I think before even Stevens had even really kicked up. And I mean they might have been filming and at the time, but he wasn't even the Shilah buff that you knew from the channel just yet, you know he was.
Speaker 4: He was up and coming.
Speaker 3: Everything I've seen do that I'm not showing to this day. It's so amazing every role that he's played. But the thing people did during the covideo the twenty twenty and people got together to have a presentation or a reading of some script or something, and so they all got together with top actors. It was Sean Tenders, just one, and that one in Shilah Bach was one of the people on a Zoom connection taking part in this thing. He was the one that everybody was like, mouth. I played a small part myself, jaw dropping kind of like what the hell is he doing? But in a good way. He was in a car doing his part of the Zoom thing, not at his desk. He was in a car. He had a good hook up there a good while with somehow in a car, maybe in his driveway, I don't know. But he had all these props and things, no common sense, not showy props, were just kind of simple things that helped inform the character. It was totally in the moment, not looking at a script like me. You know, it was a reading or something, so I had my script in front of me, I had it close to the lens, but still it wasn't quite the same. He was not looking anywhere at any material whatsoever. He learned all the lines. He did this like live stage performance that he had rehearsed for a month or something kind of work. Were like me and Sean kind of like, who is this kid? He's unbelievable. He just is so talented that I saw him recently in a man At play at the Electric Lodge in LA You're just off the charge. Great. I can't remember the name of the play, but like Henry Johnson or something, he was in this play and blew everybody way. It was just it was a great play, first of all, and he was so great at it. Every moment he had business that was informed, organic and powerful. He He's an amazing artist, he really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we said the same thing.
Speaker 1: We said that if they put together a list of forget it as an adult. Just the top five child actors of all time. He would have to be on that list, Yeah, have to be. I think he won his first Emmy when he was like thirteen, I think he did. Yeah, so just amazing. And Taj Moorray is no slouch either.
Speaker 3: No slouts whatsoever. They were neck and neck. They were both doing such great work. Impressive both of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, I feel like if this was a p if there was a project to even just look at the cast with the two young you know, leads that you have. This was such a great one because they for a long time were royalty on the Disney Channel. They were it that it actors. And for them to be able to get you on this project, I mean because at the time, I don't know if you knew this with the channel is they had a lot of Disney Channel original movies. This was the time of the channel that they were pumping these types of movies out a lot. Not all of them were on the level of others, but they were really putting a lot.
Speaker 4: Of them in there.
Speaker 5: So they a lot of them were just like new names. Not a lot of people that you would recognize this one. I mean, we saw we saw your your guys' names on on the bill and were like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Like for the Channel to be able to lump.
Speaker 5: The everything and get you on a project like this was a huge win for the Channel, absolutely, and I'm just so glad that did you have a fun time while you I mean, sounds like you had a great time on set? Was it fun up in Salt Lake? The capital of the dcom world?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Did you have fun there?
Speaker 3: It was fun? Being in Salt Lake was fun. I've been there before, and I loved working on the movie. And the script was charming and funny and it's quirky, and we enjoyed it, you know, we enjoyed every minute of it. And I had my daughter with me by at that point, very young daughters. He was about two or something. So ever, in a little peak park up walking around and running around Salt Lake, and the snow was great. We don't get any snow in La so yeah, everything about it was magical.
Speaker 5: We were wondering that if it was cold, because a lot of the outside scenes, the kids that had the outside scene seemed very bundled up. But it was sunny, so you can't really one hundred percent tell. But in the background it looked like there was snow on the mountains, so it was kind of like was it freezy? Were you guys being draped with like warm park?
Speaker 3: Definitely for sure, yes, of course.
Speaker 1: Man, Okay, the movie comes out. You got another Disney Channel movie. It's another does well on the channel, all that kind of stuff. Did you have any problems because with Shaggy Dog with Hounded? Do you ever have any problems working with animals or do you do enjoy kind of working with animals?
Speaker 3: I enjoy it. I always have. You know, I had never held a snake, certainly not an anaconda or something. There was a big giant snake. I did a movie called uh, cat People for Paul Schrader, who wrote Taxi Driver and Rging Bolt. He directed a few movies. One of them was cat People, and so you know, they said, have you ever held a reptile? I said, a little lizard in the yard. But I never know. I haven't. Well, this is you know, they just set the stand. It's not different than you probably, you know. I thought it would be slimy. It's nothing like that. So they I said, is there any danger for me? Whatsoever. Said, No, you're not going to crush or anything. I thought, that's what you're worried about. You know that only happens under certain conditions that we're not going to duplicate here, so you're perfectly safe. So I went. I had a scene where I had the anacond bow. I should know which kind of snake it was, but I don't remember, but a huge snake walking through the zoo with it on my neck and what have you, and it was the handle was relaxed, so I was relaxed. And then I had another scene. I was supposed to go and clean out like a cage with an orangutan in it. I'll go into the cage with the orangutan. Now, rangutans and you know, are incredibly strong. Yeah, you frighten them or anger them, you could pay with your life. They could kill you very quickly and instantly. So the guy said, but this one had been They claimed it was the same you orangutan that's uh had worked with Clint East but in all those every which way but up kind of moving sure rangutan that they called Clyde and he was in this full Schrader movie as well. So the handler said here's what's going to happen. He had never hurt anybody. He's not going to start today. But he may grab you when you get up post them and pull you up post offered, kind of by your hair or by your ears or something. He's not going to hurt you, but he may do that. To be prepared for that said, okay, he just wants to see you know, he wants to smell your breath and see what you're about. Rangultan did exactly that. I got, you know, I was sitting there, came over to me. I was very calm, pulled me by the earth right up to his face. My breathing was steady, and I was very relaxed. So he decided I was a new best friend for the rest of the day. He's like, he's walking next to me, look at me like his dad, and what have you hold in my hand? I started going, Oh, no, what I did, be poorhead. I forgot there was more to it than that. I went in there and I went onto the like monkey bars and stuff, and I rolled around on the ground and did a bunch of stuff just right after, just before I met him that most people didn't do that when they met him. So he really liked that a lot. So he was my friend for the day. A couple of days I was with him because I trusted the handler and the figure that they said that they also said when he worked with the cats, this is completely insanely dangerous. Somehow the cat get out, got out, just you know, run for your life. Nothing. You could outrun the cat, but this tanther gets out, it would be very very bad. Do not touch the locks, Do not touch get near the bars. And I had the scene where I had to get cun near the bars. They changed that the panther out for a puma, you know, like a mountain lion, because they're more docile compared to the panthers. A you're in acting, you're performing and doing this thing. My arm is supposed to be ripped off just before CGI and stuff like that. So they just ripped it off like a prosthetic arm that they had molded to looked like my arm, ripped it off with rubber bands to look like tendons and sinew, and they had like har syrup and red dye to look like jewy blood. And it looks fantastic and so uh, but at some point you're acting anybody in the moment, and I got way too close to the cage with the real panther in it, and the guy, the handler correctly and rightly yelled and he said, stops right now. Everybody back off six feet and stop. You can't get anywhere near that close to the panther. They get pulled right in for real, right up to the cage. Will rip his arm.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's fine.
Speaker 3: So you have to be careful with that kind of thing. Wow, And then there's not danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They told me that about Bill Daniels when I first met him. To stay six feet away from me.
Speaker 3: Rip your arm. Your block is light not block is lightly. Get you like the character in Address remember that movie, that this license for me, own this lightning for me and me only the rest of your find what life you can.
Speaker 2: Find, what life you can Yes, sir, okay.
Speaker 1: So if you could go back in time and give your young thirteen year old self who is getting into the industry, any advice, what would you tell yourself?
Speaker 3: Make sure you focus on the work, not on the salary, not on the side of the park, not on the stars that may or may not be involved in the project. Just make sure that's about the work and the quality of work only nothing else. Wow.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: And then finally, and this is going to be a very tough one, what is the I don't even know the right word.
Speaker 2: I guess favorite.
Speaker 1: What is the favorite project you've done over your entire career.
Speaker 3: Well, there's one in this one that I'll call the best movie I've been in and it could be and it was so recently Best in Show, or maybe The in Laws with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin, or maybe spinal Taps this movie called Strange Darling, which is now high on my list, at the top of my list for the best movie I've been into my whole life. Strange Darling worth a look at. It's not a comedy at all, but my best job in my whole long life has certainly been definitely been sing elsewhere because it was six years of working with Bill Daniels and Ed Flanders and Bonnie Bartlett and Christina Pickles and he's wonderful actors and guest stars that were incredible. It's just, you know, the different top movies for different reasons. But that's that's my answer that I'm going to stick to it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: For taking the time to join us so much, for you taking on YouTube, Sabrina, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: This has been amazing and a true, true gift for us. Thank you really for joining early show. You have no idea how how important it is to.
Speaker 3: Us me too well, thank you, Sabrina.
Speaker 1: To thank you very much, and hopefully we get to see again in the future. Will come back for another one of your films.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 4: I have a great one.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 5: Just like someone you know has the best stories that could just sit there and continuously roll them out, whether.
Speaker 2: You just want to sit there and listen to them talk I.
Speaker 5: Know, I mean thinking about just like the lessons he learned. I love that he started with such like humble beginnings, meaning that like, so how many people think, oh, when you're I want to be an actor and it's just going to be something. I'm gonna go on two job auditions and boom, I'm gonna be famous. I'm gonna be this And to like realize like how much work and you know, dedication you have to put into the career before it really starts rolling out. And he had when not a lot of people start with like somebody who was already in industry, had the conventions that the thame the and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Want to get too much into it, but I'm curious because he didn't really say that his father was hugely helpful in his career.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, you know.
Speaker 1: You wonder if he was introducing him to the people or if his dad was like, Hey, I made it on my own, you're gonna make it. I'll help a bit, obviously, but I made it on my own. You gotta do the work and make it. And I love how he just kept saying that.
Speaker 2: It's about the work. It's about the work, which which is really amazing.
Speaker 1: But we had we went to a convention and we were on the same flight and we sat kind of across from each other on the flight and started talking right as we were landing, and then we realized we were going to the same place. So we had to walk and then take like a shuttle and then a bus.
Speaker 2: And then everything to get guy. And so he and I were together.
Speaker 1: For like half a day traveling and it was just getting so many I got to hear so many stories and so much of the conversation.
Speaker 2: And he's a legend. I mean, he's a living legend.
Speaker 1: Uh So the stuff that he had got to do and the projects he's been involved with have just been I mean we could have we could do five episodes with him and we still would only be up to like nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that kind of thing. So it's uh yeah, that's trying to look too.
Speaker 5: He's been in so many things and he's like, I can't really remember what comes before.
Speaker 4: Or after all the time.
Speaker 5: You know, it's like this like schmorsmorg of just like a time frame of what he was going through. And I loved that him and his wife were able to be in this project together that I'm sure was like different and they and they had their daughter there on set, Like pretty cool experience that he was able to have with this project.
Speaker 4: That's so amazing.
Speaker 1: And I apologize to you for monopolizing that entire conversation, but I just I just kept going.
Speaker 2: My bad, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: It's just there's just so many cool things.
Speaker 5: And I think of too, like you know when and I know you like I was on set with Angela Lansbury and like you know when you when you get a chance when you're young too, I was like eleven when I was filming with her on a Christmas movie and just watching how she would.
Speaker 4: You know, I.
Speaker 5: Him recognizing, like him doing a little bit and being a part of the kids around him and getting them to laugh is just awesome. I mean, Angela was so great with us, just like really talking about like looking around and looking at the sets and wow, look at those the gorgeous costume and you're getting to do you know, just things have been like really grateful of things. There's so many things when you have somebody on set who's a legend and you know it, and to be able to kind of just interact with them at all, you know, it's it's so and to know he had like a specific little bit and I but I can only imagine Shia.
Speaker 4: Just like knew you know, oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: And I get a chance to kind of just like improv with this like incredible actor. I mean, what an exciting opportunity.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to talk to him forever.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 1: That was a cool experience And hopefully he'll come back when we we because again he did a bunch of Disney stuff.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean even even just like on the channel, like you know, being able. He was on Sweet Life on Deck with Zach and Cody did Hannah Montana. Yeah, you know, and I didn't even get a chance. One of my favorite things is to see with people that have these like crazy careers. Now that Disney Plus is bringing all the resurgence back, Like, has anyone brought up like oh my gosh, yeah, I remember you and Hounded or or I saw you on Hannah Montana.
Speaker 4: You know, I wonder.
Speaker 5: I always wonder with that, like how often that happens because they feel like the.
Speaker 2: New treat Next time, well, he would ask him, next time.
Speaker 4: I gotta gotta make a note.
Speaker 2: That was so cool.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you everybody for joining us, and thank you mister ed Bagley Junior for taking the time. That was truly a magical experience for both of us, for two actors who have grown up watching all of your work, and just to hear that mash.
Speaker 2: Was a great set. That alone has worth the price of admission for me.
Speaker 1: So thank you everybody for joining us, and don't forget to join us. Next time we're gonna be watching Kadet Kelly, which going to be kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this is one of my top movies. That I was.
Speaker 5: This movie was one of the ones that made me die to want to be on the channel.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't well, I can't wait, and I can tell you I reached out to Christy.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, right now she's filming a movie.
Speaker 4: She is she is so excited.
Speaker 2: Filming a movie. She's having a free time, Sir.
Speaker 4: Slash Disney movie too.
Speaker 1: She's not going to be able to join us this time. But when she's done shooting, she'll come back. She already said, She's like, I'll come back and I'll talk about Cadet Kelly and all that good kind of stuff. So she will be on the show again to talk about it, but it won't be next time. But you will be there next time with us, I hope to.
Speaker 2: You know, just enjoy the process.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, wash the taste of Hounded out of our mouths, but I'm not gonna say that because it wasn't as bad when I recapped it as it was when I thought I was watching it. Because again, even when a script is not that great, when the cast is that good. Yeah, and that's what it did. It's absolutely what it did. Any other cast that movie would have been almost unwatchable. But with the three or four people that were in there that were doing their thing, it was not that bad. Yes, So again, thank you for joining us. Thank you mister Ed Bagley Junior. Thank you Sabrina for allowing me to geek out a little bit. I know I was I monopolized.
Speaker 4: That entire Okay, I could.
Speaker 5: I mean, this was a big one. This was a big one for you, so I was excited just to be there.
Speaker 2: That was a cool one. And thank you everybody, and we will see you next time. Bye bye,