Speaker 1: And now it's time for the b a q a a the b a q a, which is say the b a q a with Manda, the b a q a with tiff A, the b a q a.
Speaker 2: I wish I could see the shoulder actually, that we'd be giving over here your energy.
Speaker 3: My shoulders were a little whack today, but I'm getting it together.
Speaker 2: So brown a mission a question answer.
Speaker 1: You guys have them questions, and we have some of the answers, not all of them. We are not your attorney, we're not your mama, we're not your therapist, we're not your financial advisor. But we are too, very smart, very cute brown girls who know I think too about money. So take what we say with the grain of salt. But you know, keep it keeped. So I'd like to do the first one just because I want to say her name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go for it.
Speaker 1: So our first baqa of today is from.
Speaker 2: Big Booty Judy.
Speaker 1: We love when you guys give us funny names because we get to say them, so Big Boody Judy BBJ says, Hi, ladies, love you both and happy to have y'all together again. My husband and I started working with an accountant this year. Okay, it's for my husband's law practice. I'm a little concerned about some of the privacy protocols of my accountant. He's asked me to text him banking info. He's also emailed me from a Gmail account asking for our social and other personal info. He has a work email, but during that time has requested the info from his personal email. Is this a red flag? Is he negligent? Or should I relax since it's twenty twenty two and that's how people communicate. Instead of texting him the banking info, I sent screenshots and asked him to delete the images after Also I call him with my social and email. The other requested info to his work email. He worked for an established accounting firm and has been practicing for well for twenty years. But I don't want to overlook anything. I think it's easy for phones to get lost, emails to get hacked, and for accountants to go ruge. So that's the reason for my concern. I look forward to your feed bags. So what do you want to say to BBJ man.
Speaker 3: Trust your gut, big booty, Judy, trust your gut. Yeah, I have had similar experience. I don't like sloppiness when it comes to my accounting, I don't like to I don't want to feel like it's just another day at the office, like la la la. I want someone who is on top of their shit, because my level of anxiety about my taxes is quite high. And yeah, so those little red flags, it's really about your comfort level, and you don't seem comfortable and I think you should be. So yeah, I would say that those are red flags because they don't make you comfortable. And in general, no, it's yes, it's the way people communicate in twenty twenty two, but it's not the way that many accountants communicate in twenty twenty two. My accountant has a whole portal that is completely private. Yeah, and I recently switched to accountants, and that was one of the reasons.
Speaker 2: Is like a portal.
Speaker 3: All the email, all our messages go through the secure site and she is on top of it, and I feel very comfortable and everything is very professional to my liking, you know. So that's what I would say. I feel like it's about a relationship with a with a professional that you're you know, paying to work in your best interests. And if you don't feel comfortable, then you know, give him the boot. You could try, like if you want it. I know you said it's your husband's accountant or you guys did that what she said like they work together.
Speaker 1: I think it was getting the accountan as because her husband has a new law practice.
Speaker 3: Okay, well then you could have a candid conversation and just say, to make myself more comfortable, here the changes I'd like, and then say if there is some sort of more formal process so I feel more comfortable, like you know that my information is secure. Maybe he's cutting corners and there is a more in depth process and he's just like I can get the sun faster from Gmail, you know, and if he is cutting those corners, but they you know, there's other ways for you to do it. Maybe go to him first, see if there are other options, and if there's not, then you can decide, you know, whether it's stay or go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly I agree. So like you know, I too switched to accountants and and also to my financial advisor is great and that everything we do we certainly email. But whenever she says, you know, hey, Tiffany, I need this document, there's literally like a portal she has where you upload the document to this secure portal. And so even if I'm giving like a social Security number whatever, everything's uploaded to the portal for both my accountant and my financial advisor. There's no reason why should be texting your dad on social security number. Like, here's the thing. What it reads to me twenty years in the business. It reads like lax, you know, not that he's a scammer or a schemer.
Speaker 2: You know, it's sad.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people are like, oh, I'm not a baggie because nothing has happened before. But no, like it's only a matter of time before something slips through the cracks, and you don't want to be the one to pay pay the piper.
Speaker 2: So I would talk to your husband and just be like, you know, I think we need to switch.
Speaker 1: Accountants to one that navigates in twenty the real twenty twenty two, which is one where you are hyper villagon about your online presence and you use the tools that are available to all financial And I'm sure your husband is an attorney. I'm sure that he knows like, okay, we're sending papers or whatever that there's some sort of like you know, portal in place, and so no, to me, that's unacceptable. So to Mandie's point, maybe his farm does have it. They likely do, but maybe he's just, you know, because it's been twenty years, he's just like what evs you know. So, yeah, I would have to chalcolate him. But honestly, I'm not gonna lie. I already have my big toe and my pinky toe out the dough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. It also reminds me of like, it reminds me of nothing, because again I had the thoughts and then it by a way. So we'll just cut that out and go.
Speaker 2: The next question. So so we take a break before we take the next question. Yes, please taking a break.
Speaker 1: We're back in black and Mandy got the next question, Mandro Who we got?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know why. I feel like I was called it in class and I wasn't ready.
Speaker 2: Ah, which one was it? Forty five? Forty five?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is funny because Tiffany thought it was from Mandise, even though it says just from Mandy's messages. But we're gonna call her man des because she wants to remain anonymous. Anyway, Mand's this is a really interesting question. Mandy says, Hey, Mandy, I've been nervous to send this message, as I don't want it to come across wrong. I've been listening to your podcast with Tiffany for almost a year now. My girlfriend and I are on our biggest finance journey this year. She just graduated with her bachelor's to become a teacher next year, so her income is doubling and I keep getting bonuses and raises at work. Love that we're completely credit card debt free. We're working on our car loans and student loans next and our goal is to save twenty percent for a home loan as well. I also have a couple side hustles. This is just a little side information about us. My main question is we want to buy a house and the market in our area is very crazy right now if you want to find a good home. Because I listen to your podcast, we always try to support local businesses, black owned businesses, and women owned businesses as well. What it seemed racist of us to try to find a black female real estate agent to help us buy our first home. From Mandy's interesting question, No, I'm just going to assume that you're I'm just going to say you're white. I mean you're non black if you if you're asking, because I mean, that's my first inclination assistance.
Speaker 2: I feel like you feel like girl gave me a black girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I do this all the time. But it's it's a fair, I mean, a fair question, and I think good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that you felt comfortable enough to ask the question that you're not sure you're saying the things in the right way, because we have to just like get out there and say it. But yeah, I mean my first my reaction is yeah, absolutely, I mean, I think this is the work of creating more and more equitable economy and putting money into the pockets of people who have been underprivileged, underserved, you know, have unconscious bias fighting against them every day of their careers. Like, we have to be thoughtful and intentional with how we spend our money and who we hire. Joe Biden said we are going to have a black Supreme Court justice, a black female Supreme Court justice. So if Joe freaking Biden the President can intentionally say I am looking for a black woman for this job, then no, it is not in any way, shape or form racist or wrong to do so. In fact, I think we need more of that, and.
Speaker 1: Also too, sometimes we have to understand what racism truly is. Racism is not just it's really racism really is not I don't like you because you're black.
Speaker 2: I don't like you because you're right. That's not racism.
Speaker 1: Racism is a systematic tool used to disempower those through using economic tools, ability, housing, jobs, and so therefore, and if you are not in a position of power, you know, you can't enforce that onto a race that is in a position of power. So for example, like you know, if you are you know, black in America, it's going to be very difficult for you to be racist toward in the in the pure sense towards someone to a race that is in current power, because you might not you might be prejudiced in depth for sure, but you can't systematically harm that race because from your position of not having power, you don't have the ability to do so, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what racism truly is.
Speaker 1: So sometime people mix up prejudice, which you totally could be, and even bigoted, which you totally could be, but not so much.
Speaker 2: Racism.
Speaker 1: Racism is really a systematic issue where from a position of power, you can and dictate the trajectory of the lives of those.
Speaker 2: Who are not in power. So yeah, so I said, I'll have to say, there's nothing wrong with doing that. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I you know, sometimes I support like, you know, we have Small Business Saturday on purpose to give a little leg up to small businesses. And honestly, most people navigate from a place of infinite affinity, you know. So if you look at my team and Mandy's team, it is largely, you know, folks who look like us. You know, not every single person on my team, but the vast majority. And so you know, I mean that can be helpful, and sometimes certainly that can be harmful because if the there are more companies run by people who don't look like you, then you might have a hard time getting in. So I try to be mindful of that even as I hire, like, oh, I'm looking for the best, but I have I'm especially looking for the best, especially if it's a black woman. But if I can't find that, then I'm open. Know, because there are part there are positions on my team. I have not been able to find that, and so you know, I've had to look elsewhere. So no, but I say, go ahead, girl, Like it's so many times, you know, you don't get when you hire, especially black women, there's a benefit to increasing the different ways of looking at things because a black woman and if she knows your neighborhood, well, you know, it's going to know things that you might not even have considered, you know. You know, it's going to know things about school systems and how they treat people. It's going to know things about the way the township deals with anyone who's othered or different. You know, it's going to know things about you know, this street is known for this, you know, so I think that like even you know, even just that aside from you know, supporting black women, you know, you get this additional benefit of a wider scope of what it is to move to a neighborhood that you know, you wouldn't keep it like someone else would not keep at the forefront of their minds because they wouldn't even think about Like I was talking to my friend yesterday about because I don't know, I feel like it literally it's almost like men were waiting for one year after Jerrell passed away to everybody start hollering.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is going on? I know it's crazy. We'll talk about later. Right now, it's quite perfect, right, So, but I.
Speaker 1: Was telling like a friend and I was like, it's a little off putting, like we were just talking in general, like how I remember like in my twenties and in my thirties and you know, you're walking down the street and a guy tries to talk to you, and if you're not interested, you're like, oh, no, I have a boyfriend, even if you don't, because you want to spare his feelings.
Speaker 2: And he was like, why can't you just be honest.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you don't know what it is to be a woman walking by yourself, you know, and a man approaches you. And so I say all that to say that there is a limit when you're not from a a group of people that has to look beyond what's just on the surface. Women cannot just say get out of my face, I'm not interested. That's not happening, because you literally put your life in jeopardy. And so a black woman saying hey, I'm not so sure about that neighborhood has a wider perspective, you know, because she has seen much more than what.
Speaker 2: Maybe what someone who was not like her would see. So but yeah, well, I mean that's.
Speaker 3: Such a like well put thought and point and nuanced, and I think, yeah, thanks for thanks for going there, because I think that's an important perspective. I decided if I ever get attacked on the sidewalk, which I wouldn't because I live in the boring birds, now I'm going to go for the crazy lady act, like start spitting and like speaking in tongues and like, I don't know, maybe pe myself so that.
Speaker 2: Now I'm telling you, make a full.
Speaker 3: Toddler tantrum onum.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good one because I feel like they're like what the heck is going to exactly?
Speaker 3: Or like bark at them. I think I saw on TikTok someone barked and that worked. Whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh I got y'all. These are good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but come for me in the Trader Joe's parking lot. See what you're gonna get?
Speaker 1: See I guess on twitter BA podcast and let us know, like what ways do you like get out of like a man who or just being approached by someone you're not interested in and they don't take it well, Like I'd love to hear it, because yeah, it's it's like my sister. I was like, dang girl, she's like your milkshake, bringing on the boys to the art. I'm like even the lactose and toller once.
Speaker 3: It's making me cough, but it's so freaking funny. We took a turn there, But thank you for your question and thanks for listening to the show. We appreciate y'all. Yeah until later, Bye bye, until later. Bye, Hey ba fan, we could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennistimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodrid Santo's your co host and I will see y'all next week.