Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What an audience. I think they're better than yesterday. Wow, Yeah, I think so. And that's saying a lot, but packed house once again here at the bar. We'll be back here tomorrow morning as well. And people say what time should we show up? I would say a couple hours before we get started. Some people shown up at three point thirty four in the morning to get in here. But thank you for taking time off to join us here in our mobile man Cave of sorts eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. We'll talk to Kurt Warner. He'll stop by Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network analyst. He'll be working the draft tonight with NFL Network with Rich Eisen and company. And he's the one who came out with the comment and I want to ask him about this where he said that Cleveland Browns are taking Travis Hunter, but he would major in offense minor in defense, which is opposite or counter to what I think we've been told. All Right, poll question for the final hour of the program, we do have our NFL hot takes at These are the bold proclamations. Matt Miller was just here, the ESPN Draft analyst. He said, his hot take is Shadoor Sanders not taken in the first round, So we'll have that so poll question here.
Speaker 3: See, it's crazy to me that shadur Can is either going like second or second rounds O real consensus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have up there right now.
Speaker 3: Better NFL Draft day trade Jerry Rice or Patrick Mahomes dot.
Speaker 2: I don't think people remember that Jerry Rice was traded for by the Niners, but everybody remembers with Patrick Mahomes. Right now, the results of that are fifty three forty seven. I want to guess I'm going to say, because Rice is the greatest receiver of all time, they would say.
Speaker 3: He would have forty seven. Yeah, yeah, Patrick Mahomes. Right now, it's been going a little closer to fifty to fifty, but right now he's ticking up at fifty three percent.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country, Marvin, I'll start with you. The scalding hot take for the draft is going to be what.
Speaker 4: Tyler Warren will be drafted by the New England Patriots at number four.
Speaker 2: Wownd State tight end. Okay, correct, all right.
Speaker 4: Jackson Dart will go in the first round of the draft tonight.
Speaker 5: Okay to the La Rams Okay, okay, interesting, all right, Todd.
Speaker 6: The Broncos, who unbeknownst to me have a first round.
Speaker 2: Hot take you're the hot take is that the Broncos have a first john draft pick and you didn't know it.
Speaker 7: They will move up from the twenty spot tonight to select Ashton genty, so a Boise State Bronco becomes a Denver Bronco.
Speaker 6: The Cowboys move up from twelve to.
Speaker 7: Grant Penn State tight and Tyler Warren, hoping for the next Jason Witten or j Novachek.
Speaker 2: Okay, joined down name drop it uh seatan, how about you?
Speaker 3: Let's see to a tongue of Ilo will be traded tonight to either the Saints, Giants forty nine ers or Steelers.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: And NFL sac lader Trey Hendrickson will be traded tonight, okay to either the Packers, Lions, or Commanders.
Speaker 2: Let's go Packers, Yeah, go, pack go, They'll pack go all right, PAULI.
Speaker 8: I think Seaton's got this those are pretty pretty scalding.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 8: The Patriots trade the fourth pick. They trade out at the fourth pick with the Bears. The Bears have ten. The Bears will trade up the four to get Abdua Carter, who slips to the fourth pick, My second one, less warm Jackson Dart will go ninth to the Saints.
Speaker 2: Day Marvin's are pretty good. I mean, Seaton's throwing in the too a tongue of ioloa. I mean, that's scalding. And then Trey Hendrickson of the Bengals gets trade as well. There's two big trades right there. Yeah they are. Yeah, Yeah, Tonight, why don't we bring in an expert here, Kurt Warner joining us the Hall of Famer. NFL Networks coverage first round of the draft coming up tonight at eight eastern. As we make way for Kurt Warner, Homo Programs going.
Speaker 6: On, Let's go home my money.
Speaker 2: You weren't drafted, but I'm wondering if you would have had been the last pick, if you had been mister irrelevant, would that have worked against you more than just being a free agent where you would had that label that you would be mister irrelevant the rest of your career.
Speaker 7: That's a great question. I think the difference always becomes when you're picked that late you have to go to the particular team that drafted you, where if you become a free agent, there's usually four or five different teams where you get the opportunity to, at least in your mind, think, oh, well, I can pick and choose what the best situation is for me. But I think as a player, you always think, well, if I'm drafted, that gives me a better chance to make the team because they invested a pick in me.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 7: It didn't work out for me the way that it you know, as a free agent, so I'm not sure it would have been much better either way.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how do you pick your team that you want to actually try to make well?
Speaker 6: I mean, for instance, I picked the Packers.
Speaker 7: I picked the Green Bay team, and the reason that I picked them was because they only had.
Speaker 6: Three quarterbacks on the roster.
Speaker 7: Now, they were good quarterbacks and far of Brunel and Dat Murra Heisman Trophy winner, but my mindset was, if they're only going to invite four guys to camp, I only have to beat out one of them, or if something happens or if one of these guys is traded, there's a better chance for me to make the team there then to go to a team. I think San Diego at the time had six guys coming to camp, and you know, being a free agent, I like, Okay, how many reps am I going to get? What kind of chance am I going to get to make the team. So that was my mindset at the time, even though they were good players. Hey, I feel like I have a better chance to get some reps and maybe showcase what I can do if I went to the Packers.
Speaker 2: How would you compare yourself when you got to the Packers with what Brett Favre was doing at the time.
Speaker 7: Well, I will say this is that lining up next to Brett and Mark and Tie every day in training camp or you know, during that period, I was more confident when I left that I could play in the NFL because I felt my physical skills matched up to those guys that I knew were NFL players. But Brett was, you know, it was early in his stage, you know, of being a starter and becoming that guy in the NFL. But I remember calling my family after seeing him for about two days, and I'm like, this dude's different, Like this dude is special, even though I don't think everybody knew it at the time, because it was kind of the Brett far you know, spin around, throw it up in the air, you have these interceptions, kind of these crazy plays. When you saw him get between the lines and play football, he was he was different at that time.
Speaker 2: What was he like in practice?
Speaker 7: Well, I could take you into the meeting rooms and so you know Steve mary Ucci, who I work with now, was our quarterback coach. Uh, you know, those three guys are in the room, and you know, oftentimes he would pull up tape and he's like, okay, Brett, tell me what the play is. And you know, formation motion called his play for me, and Brett's like throwing around all He's like, I don't I don't know, mooch, you know, and then and then ties there and Tie just cleans.
Speaker 6: It all up and he knows it all. He's just like a coach.
Speaker 7: But when you put Brett between the lines, everything seemed to just click. Like, you know, I listened to him in the meeting room and I'm like, oh my gosh, what are we gonna get on the practice field, and then he goes on the practice field and it was just bang bang back, like everything just seemed to make sense to him.
Speaker 6: Between the lines.
Speaker 7: But you know, he couldn't look at it, you know, the tape and and recall everything there. But you give him a play call and let him go play football, and he was just it was just really really good.
Speaker 2: When did you know you had arrived, like you you could be a great player.
Speaker 6: A great player.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when I say arrived for me, it was different with my journey. So in ninety nine, when I became the starter, we actually had to buy the second week of the season, which they don't do anymore, but we had to buy the second week, so played the first week against the Ravens. Me and my wife actually went back to her hometown to see her family, and I got a call when we were driving down the street that I was the player of the week in the NFL after Week one, And that was my moment where like, Okay, I don't know if I'm ever going to play another game.
Speaker 6: I don't know where it goes from here.
Speaker 7: But for one week, I was the best player in the National Football and that was kind of like my moment of after the entire journey, like all the things that I believed. See, I told you, I told you at least for one week, I could be that guy.
Speaker 6: So that was kind of do you get any moments?
Speaker 9: Did you get a certificate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean I heard. I think maybe they gave you a papers at every I don't. I don't have any idea.
Speaker 7: The phone call was enough for me to just kind of okay, all right, we made it.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Kurt Warner. He'll be on the draft coming up tonight at eight eastern on NFL Network. We spend so much time talking about quarterbacks, and I was just talking to Matt Miller, who's draft analyst for ESPN. If I'm Tennessee, why am I trying to get a quarterback when I can get the a guy who is the Otani of the NFL and Travis Hunter. So now I like the sure thing is right there? Correct?
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, I'm going to take a.
Speaker 2: Chance on cam Ward, who at best would have been the fifth quarterback drafted last year. Yeah, So why am I doing that? Why why am I not patient to go? We can We'll find our quarterback.
Speaker 7: Cause it's as simple as if you don't have one, you don't have a chain.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's the way it is in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Outside of, you know, barring one of those unique situations where you have an incredible defense and an unbelievable run game and your quarterback can be a complementary piece.
Speaker 6: It just doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 7: And so it's why we reach It's why we talk about quarterbacks because if you don't have one, you don't have a chance. And especially if you look in the AFC right now with way you know the way that's going and all the players that you have there, and so that's why you know, at this pick, I agree with you, like, Okay, we've got guys that we know are going to be good NFL players, Cam Mood really good college player.
Speaker 6: We don't know.
Speaker 7: But that's exactly why you have to take the chance, is because you just know you don't have an opportunity to win without it.
Speaker 6: And then I think that.
Speaker 7: The second factor is we have no patience anymore. We have no patients, not just for quarterback, we have no patients for coaches. And so these coaches know, Okay, I can go build a roster for somebody else, because if I don't have a quarterback for three or four years. I'm gone, and somebody else is going to come in and be able to use all these pieces I have. So you go and you try to get that guy that you think has a chance to be a special player for you, knowing if I find that guy, he gives us a chance every time we play, and then we go and build around him.
Speaker 2: I had one of my greatest moments in my career, and it happened during your Super Bowl with Pittsburgh. Because I'm going to hand out the trophy. I'm on the sidelines and I'm with Steve Young. So Steve Young is with me as Ben comes onto the field, and Steve Young is doing play by play and color like. So he's telling me from a Hall of Fame perspective what Ben is doing, what they should do. So he's doing this all the way down the sidelines. Now I'm still thinking, I'm handing out the trophy to you guys, and then all of a sudden, you know, so Steve is going, this is this is crazy, I mean, Ben is this is unbelievable. And then he throws the touchdown and he said, you you can't, I mean, we don't make those throw. I mean, that's not normal to make that throw. So when you're watching all of this as a quarterback, you're probably saying, well, what would I do or you know, put yourself in that position. I'm guessing, at what point did you realize you were in trouble?
Speaker 7: I mean I realized I was in trouble when he threw the curl route to the right hand side and Antonio took it for about seventy you know, like because all we're thinking on you know, on our sideline is you know, we've got the lead at that point.
Speaker 6: Hold them to a field goal at worst.
Speaker 7: So we're going into overtime because we had kind of taken the momentum at that point, and so our whole mindset is just you don't give up the big play, like keep everything in front of you.
Speaker 6: And then it was right off the bat when you throw a curl.
Speaker 7: And he spins and and you know, sets them up inside the red zone. And that's when I thought too many opportunities, Like we're giving them too many chances, Like if we gave him one shot in the red zone to go for the touchdown, I feel confident you get down there and we give them first and goal and they've got a chance for at least four plays down there. That's when I was worried. And you know, he had thrown a pass, a better I wouldn't say a better pass, but they had an opportunity to score a touchdown, you know, the play before, and they missed that play. And so after that happens, You're like, Okay, they missed one.
Speaker 6: Maybe we got a shot here.
Speaker 7: And then when he went and threw the past to Santonio, from my vantage point, I'm like, what's he doing? Like, there's three guys there, there's no chance, Like I'm feeling pretty.
Speaker 6: Good that we're gonna knock this down.
Speaker 7: And of course, perfect pass, unbelievable catch in between three guys. But that's what you know, you know, that's what Super Bowls are all about. It's great players making great plays. But it was after that first quick curl route that spun out and turned into you know, first down into the.
Speaker 6: Red zone where I knew like we were in trouble here.
Speaker 2: What still keeps you up at night football wise?
Speaker 7: Football wise, it would be the Patriots Super Bowl in O one, Just that we didn't play our best game, like you want to go to the Super Bowl and you want to play your best game. You want to say, hey, you leave it like that game against the Steelers. Nobody expected us to be there with two and a half minutes to go, We're leading in that game. We played a good football game and very easily could have been champs in that game. So I can live with that one, even with the long interception and all the stuff that happened.
Speaker 6: I could live with that one. It was two thousand and one.
Speaker 7: Where we were a better team than we played on that day, and when you get to those moments and you know what that could have meant for a lot of different things, to have two super Bowl championships in three years, all of that stuff. That's the game to me that I wish we could have back and we could play that over again, because I really believe, you know, and nothing against the Patriots.
Speaker 6: We were the better football team.
Speaker 7: You know, we didn't play better in in those three hours, but we were the better foot We played ten times, we win I think at least eight of those, but that day they outplayed us.
Speaker 6: We didn't put our best foot forward.
Speaker 7: And that's the game that just continually comes back through my mind more than more than all the others.
Speaker 2: But what was the chatter beforehand? You're facing Brady and he didn't have much experience. Yeah, and what was the defensive philosophy there?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I think our defensi velosophy was basically what happened. I mean, Tom Brady threw for like one hundred and fifty yards in the game, and they had you know, I threw a pick six. They had one touchdown pass, there was another one where Tory kind of tripped led to another, you know, interception that was points for them. And so I think the game plan was what we wanted it to be. And it's like their offense isn't going to beat us. We've just got to play better than their defense, which obviously we had great confidence that we could do that with the team that we.
Speaker 6: Had, But that was more of the mindset going in.
Speaker 7: Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady yet at that point, So it wasn't like a fear like, oh gosh, we got to worry about twelve at this time. It was more worried about their defense. Bill Belichick, we played him earlier in the year, going in, Okay, what.
Speaker 6: Are they going to do?
Speaker 7: We know they're not going to do the same thing they did last time. What do we have to prepare for it? So that was more of the matchup that I think we were thinking about going in.
Speaker 2: I have a football here, and you know, we get caught up in if you'll hold that and show us the proper way to throw a football.
Speaker 6: Proper way to throw a football?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I mean like some like my grip, yeah, yeah, so my grip is one I don't know where the camera is, but they'll find where I'm almost on the point of the football. And and for me, I actually changed to that grip when I was in high school. When I watched the guy that was older than me threw it. He threw a really good ball, and so I'm like, Okay, how's he hold the football? And he had his finger more towards the point. And when I first started doing that, I threw a lot of ducks anyways, But when I first started doing that, the ball never came off clean. But I always felt like I had more control with that point. You know, that finger on the point of the ball, because it's kind of the last thing that you release as you're throwing the football. So I felt like it gave me more accuracy when I was doing that.
Speaker 6: But I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 7: If there's a there's a perfect way to do it. I think to me, it's like grab it. What feels comfortable to you do it. But that was the thing for me, is I wanted to have as why a grip as possible on the ball, and I wanted to have my finger close to the point.
Speaker 6: So I just felt like it may be more accurate.
Speaker 2: Do you care how it inflated it is?
Speaker 7: I mean I would like it legally inflated, like, I mean whatever the standard is is is what?
Speaker 9: I wait?
Speaker 2: But why can't you have a football that you want and I have a football that I want?
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know. I mean, why do we have rules? It's a dumb Why why could you do something that? I mean, I don't know, nobody.
Speaker 2: Nobody benefits from this. You kicker on their own ball.
Speaker 7: Hold on a second, Like, why would somebody do it if they don't benefit from it? Like whatever that that thing is. I mean, if you deflated a football or you pumped it up, like, you would only do that if you felt it gave you some sort of an advantage, right, And.
Speaker 2: So we'd like kickers have their own ball.
Speaker 6: I mean, okay, but that's not the rule.
Speaker 7: Like if the rule is everybody can have their own ball, and we actually do allow quarterbacks to break the ball in and do what they want to do.
Speaker 2: So you realize that Aaron Rodgers told me that he over inflated footballs and nobody said anything about that because he didn't have a guy known as the inflator and Brady had a guy known as the deflator. It's silly. I don't know, it's silly.
Speaker 6: Are you saying silly? But to me, I mean if the question.
Speaker 2: Calling into question Tom Brady's Super Bowl putting it over gosh, is that what we're doing.
Speaker 6: I knew somehow this was going to go there. You were somehow gonna get me there.
Speaker 7: But I mean the funny thing to me is, and you know, maybe it's to the credit of those guys over inflating or under inflating, like I never once thought about how much air, like give me the ball, like give me the ball, what ball is?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's this ball, Let's let's go play football. Like that was nothing. You know that I even thought about a detail that I considered. I mean, maybe I should have, but it was nothing like, hey, this is legal, somebody figured it out. Let's go play ball. Yes' just kind of what you do.
Speaker 2: You're probably not having this conversation on the draft tonight.
Speaker 6: I'm probably notably not. Okay, I see, I guarantee you I will not let it go there.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, great to see.
Speaker 6: Good to see you as always.
Speaker 2: You can see more of Kurt Warner tonight. He'll be on NFL Networks coverage. First Round a start at eight eastern. We'll take a break. Daniel Jeremiah tells you where Travis Hunter is going. He'll join us coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live draft coverage YEP with the first pick, the biggest names that know about every player and every team.
Speaker 10: You've got it right here, God listen ass Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer, former New York Jets general manager, Joe Douglas, college football Hall of Famer and former number two overall pick. LaVar Erringtechage at Fox Sports lead college football reporter Jenny Tap delivered the pick fine pick coverage the next night, a night Fox Draft Night Live lives right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun seeing Kurt Warner. The argument kept going when we went to commercial break about inflating your football or deflating your football. If you can do it and I can do it, then it shouldn't be an issue for me. But as Kurt says, well, there is a rule in play, so therefore why have a rule if you're not going to enforce it. I understand that, but kickers get their own football. And the fact that Aaron Rodgers said he over inflated the football. He wanted an over inflated football. But you know that's there's no drama attached to that because it doesn't have anything to do with the Patriots or Tom Brady. Okay, Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network Draft analyst, and he'll be on the call tonight at eight eastern on NFL Network. He also has moved the Sticks podcast and former NFL Scout as We make way for Daniel Jeremiah on the program. Hey Dan, all right, it's.
Speaker 11: So I'm glad you finally got to the bottom of Kurt hating Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: As asterisk by Super Bowls for Tom Brady.
Speaker 11: And he's been saying that behind the scenes for years. It was nice to see like that. That's great, He's gonna love you for this. Did you ever a Brady college tape? I did, actually, but I was, you know, he was came into the league before I got into scouting, but we had I started in two thousand and three, and we do a thing when I was with the Ravens called Scout School. So in the evenings at training camp, everybody had to do a presentation and the idea was to let the whole group learn something and grow and and somebody did the how we all screwed up on Tom Brady presentation and went through and kind of showed his tape, read all the reports and kind of went to the background.
Speaker 2: Okay, but wait a minute, he lost his job to Drew Hension. So everybody can look back and have revisions history and say, man, I knew who knew?
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 11: The interesting thing was it was more so in the background than it was in the In the description of the play, like it was and I don't remember the exact words, but it was like this guy's a maniacal competitor. You know, all the wiring stuff. All that stuff was just off the charts. And so the point of the process was sometimes if the skill levels meets the threshold, this adequate and you have the elite off off the charts, character work, ethic, all that stuff, that those guys can be better. Now, no, there's no way anybody could ever know that he was going to do what he did. But there were some little nuggets and little morsels in there.
Speaker 2: What was a red flag when you were scouting?
Speaker 9: Red flag?
Speaker 11: Gosh, I always thought it was a red flag when you go back in the day when I was scouting, you had the video guys because everybody didn't just have everything on their iPad. And if the video guys did not know the quarterback had no relationship with a quarterback, that always made me nervous because the guy has not been in there watching extra tape that should be one of his best friends. How do I get access? I need to I want to come in here and watch this. So that was just one kind of random and.
Speaker 2: I always thought if you were going to talk to somebody and get it, and I was told this, talk to the equipment manager. Yeah, talk to people who are around, How does he treat people who aren't important per se? How is he in the lock? You know those kind of things. And I remember running into a guy who worked at Washington State with Ryan Leef. Yeah, and he gave me a heads up without telling me. I mean, he was saying, boy, wait till you get a load of this, and I go, what do you mean? He goes, oh, I'm just saying and you know, so then I eventually found out what he was saying is the reputation with Ryan at the time was not a great teammate. Yeah, and you know there's other things in play with Ryan there, and maybe he shouldn't have been up as high as you know. You know now it was Peyton versus him, and nobody wins that competition battle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 11: We always would do it at the combine and when you're interviewing guys at All Star Games, one of the questions we would always ask is if you can take one teammate with you, who would you want to play with at the next level. And it was kind of interesting because some guys will come up over and over and over again through that process and.
Speaker 2: We you know, it's not character assassination, but it certainly felt like we needed a story. Now we got an unnamed scowled or some you know, executive who's talking bad about Shade or Sanders. Has anybody said anything negative about somebody else in this draft as far as their personality or their ability to interview?
Speaker 9: I would say it this way.
Speaker 11: There's obviously going to be in almost every single player in every draft, there's going to be somebody in the draft room who's a fan and someone who's not. But with Shador this year, Dan, it is so and I'm not comparing them as players or people, but it's so reminiscent to Johnny Manziel, where the spotlight is so bright, and there's never been more information coming out on a player than there has been on Shudeur. Again, totally different players and people, but I don't recall this much attention on one player since we had the Johnny Manziel draft.
Speaker 2: And I remember an executive saying Johnny was unbelievable as an interview.
Speaker 11: Well, he's charismatic, Yeah, come in and fill the room. Yes, I mean his pro day is going to go down as one of the ald timers. The guy put on pads, there was blaring music and the former president of the United States was on the sideline watching it.
Speaker 2: How did everybody miss on him?
Speaker 11: I just think it was so fun, It was so tantalized. I went and saw him play several times live, including in bowl games.
Speaker 9: And it was just so magical.
Speaker 11: At the college level, and you had, you know, the Alabama program and where that group was, and you're like, this guy, nobody can do this against them, and this kid can. And then I always remembered is one of his first preseason games. It was on TV and I happened to tune in. It might've been against the Lions, if I'm not mistaken. And I remember texting my buddy Bucky Brooks because we had both been at a bowl game and sat next to each other and we kind of got taken in by this whole thing. And the first preseason game, I texted him, I go, Bucky, dang, he looks little all of a sudden on a field with NFL guys that it didn't look great.
Speaker 2: But all you had to do was ask a couple of questions about.
Speaker 9: Oh, yeah, there was all the stuff that was.
Speaker 2: But could he have played in the NFL at a high level let's say he's focused, Let's say he's clean and committed. Did he have the traits to be able to be a successful quarterback? I think he did give him that style.
Speaker 11: I think he did, and I know he would have to play a little bit more on time, a little bit more on schedule. But the guy, he had huge hands, he had a huge arm. He was obviously ultra athletic and creative. He just need you needed to kind of reel that stuff in. But we never got a chance because of the stuff off the field. We never got a chance to see what that.
Speaker 9: Could have looked like.
Speaker 2: It's like he wanted to be Farv, but there's only one Farv.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and he was pocket Farv because he was, you know, a much smaller guy.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're talking to Daniel Jeremiah. He'll be the lead analyst on the draft coming up tonight and that's NFL Network starting at eight eastern. The draft starts. Where now, let me get to your quote. Let me make sure I got it right. You got Browns are taking Travis Hunter.
Speaker 9: Uh feels like that.
Speaker 11: There's been a lot of talk in the last twenty four hours, which someone needs to write a book on the night before the draft, rumors that never come true. They're fantastic, they really are fantastic. But there's been a lot Oh, they could move out and maybe we'll all be shocked, and they do, but it all feels like that's going.
Speaker 2: To be traveling. Okay, and you your quote was he will major in offense minor in defense.
Speaker 9: Which has never been done.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that approach that he should be more offense than defense.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 11: I mean that's how I see him. I think he's more impactful on offense. I don't think you know. To me, he's as a corner. He's best when you kind of play him off when he's in zone. When he's an offman, he can see the picture, he can set traps. He can then go make plays on the ball. But this is not like Pats or Tan. You got this guy and we will not worry about that side of the field. Like that's not the style.
Speaker 9: Of corner he is.
Speaker 11: Whereas on offense, every time he touches the ball, he's impactful and I can get the ball in his hands a lot and he can help us win games, and I can find ways for him to get on defense. But historically when you've had players and that nobody's done it to the level he did in terms of the volume of snaps. But if it was a major minor, it was always okay, you have to learn this defense, be in the defensive meeting room and we'll sprinkle in a package of plays where it's a bubble screen or reverse, you know, a go and you don't necessarily have to meet you know, with the offense. This one is the first time I can ever remember or I've thought this kid, I want him full time on offense.
Speaker 2: I still get the feeling somebody's going up to get Ashton Gent and I you know, I don't know what your intel is on that, but he feels like I could tell by that reaction you went.
Speaker 11: He's my third player. I think there's three elite players in this draft. And I think cam Ward is a really good quarterback, and I have no problem.
Speaker 9: With Tennessee taking him.
Speaker 11: But to me, the three like blue chip players in any draft are those three guys, Abdul Carter, it's Hunter, and it's Genty, So I love Gent.
Speaker 9: To me, it's just around the league.
Speaker 11: You can get comfortable taking a running back there. But I just i'd be curious to see if somebody's gonna really move a lot of resources for a running But.
Speaker 2: Don't you think Saquon opened people's eyes here that if you now granted he was the missing piece, yeah, on a Super Bowl winning team, whereas with the Giants he was good, but they weren't any good. So if Ashton Genty goes to Jacksonville, they're not very good. Or would the Patriots be squirrely enough to go, you know what, let's let's take this guy if he's going to be great there, or do the Raiders wait and go let him fall into our lamp.
Speaker 11: I brought this up with a general manager the other day and he goes, you realize, like the four best running backs in the NFL last year were all had in free agency, Like they were all out there for you. Like another example of everybody talks about you can draft him in any round, and he's like, there's also going to be guys available in free agency every year. So his whole point was great player, we have him highly rated. If he's there, we'll pick him. But I just in terms of taking a bunch of resources and going to get him, they were, you know, not.
Speaker 2: So much into that what is it like when you know that your organization is maybe starting to panic a little bit. Have you been in a situation where all of a sudden you're on the clock and the guy you thought you were getting is not there.
Speaker 11: The one of the stories I've told in the past is I was in Baltimore and we were a HELOADI knot a team.
Speaker 9: That was our guy. That's who we wanted we had.
Speaker 11: We wanted to put a big guy in front of ray Lewis, and he was just the perfect pick. Well, Phil Savage at the time was the general manager of the Cleveland Browns, and Philip had been with us in Baltimore, and so Phil knew that we were going to like that type of player. So they're on the clock just in front of us, and he calls Ozzie and they have the conversation and Phil's like, we're going to take Heloda Nada, and Ozzie goes, okay, well, yeah, go ahead. He goes, well you want to trade, and Ozzi, you know, he ends up kind of putting him on hold, and he's kind of looking around the room and he's like, they're not taking Helodi Nada, but he knows we want Helodi Nada. So he's trying to hold us up for a draft pick, and so I think it ended up being a sixth round pick.
Speaker 9: And Ozzie's you know, obviously he's got so.
Speaker 11: Much wisdom and was like, look, we can call their bluff, but it's a sixth round pick, and that guarantees that we get him.
Speaker 9: Just give him the sixth round pick and we'll go up and get him.
Speaker 2: We did some hot takes here. I want you to judge these. Marvin, give Daniel Jeremiah your hot.
Speaker 4: Take, Jackson Dart he will go to the Los Angeles Rams at the end of the first half.
Speaker 6: Then my second one was.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I think I forgot it.
Speaker 9: It was too hot.
Speaker 6: Oh I think Tyler Warren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going to the Patriots ooh with four overall.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that would put you in round three of hot ones.
Speaker 9: You know, I don't think that gets you to the Yeah, to the playoffs.
Speaker 6: All the hot.
Speaker 11: One's spicy, but look, the Rams, that's an option. When I talk to the guys in that building, I didn't get the sense it kind of feels like they want to make a push right now.
Speaker 9: You bring you know, you bring.
Speaker 11: Back your quarterback and you feel like you've got you're this close to get me to the year. So they want to help Matthew not try and you know, eventually replace him. So I would be surprised on that one, Warren. It's just the Patriots seem pretty locked in that they have to get better at tackle. They were just so bad there last year, So that would surprise me as well.
Speaker 2: Todd your hot takes.
Speaker 7: I had the Broncos moving up from twenty to take Boise State Bronco Ashton genty to become a Denver Bronco.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that's there's a lot of talk about the two teams that could move up are the Broncos and the Eagles, two teams that could be aggressive. And with the Broncos, that's not a hot take, that's a legitimate take. It's not a hot take. That's a that's very much mild, like dipped in ranch.
Speaker 2: And that's not legitimate takes. Yeah, you know we can't sell that.
Speaker 6: What about this one? The Cowboys move up from twelve to grab Tyler Warren, hoping for the next Jason Witten or j Novachek to join them.
Speaker 11: What was the name of the guy that they took from Lsu tight end. Do you remember that from way back.
Speaker 9: In the day, oh Stern Barker. No, I just opened up Pandora's bock.
Speaker 11: There was Tony Gonzalez and this kid, and I remember Troyman was going to work out both of them, and the Tony Gonzalez goes on to the Hall of Fame, the other did not. But we can get research on that.
Speaker 9: That one. I'll give you hot on that one. Your first one, not hot.
Speaker 3: I have Tila tongue of ioloa traded tonight to the either the Saints Giants, forty nine ers or Steelers.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, you just you just you almost literally floored him.
Speaker 9: Yes, I mean it's I could use some milk trying to tame the tongue.
Speaker 2: The tongue here tame a tongue of ioloa. Yeah, vamas. My other one is Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: Traded tonight to either the Packers, Liarons or Commanders.
Speaker 11: I like that one. I think that's I think that's spicy. I think that's I think that's a fun one. That's a that's a fun.
Speaker 2: One, right, the to a tongue of ioloa.
Speaker 11: You know, I would be I mean that would be incredible for us. We'll have an unbelievable night, We'll all fall out.
Speaker 9: Of our chairs.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a take like you're trying to balance.
Speaker 3: Is it better to be something that's like more close to reality or something like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be crazy if that happened. Because that's a hot take, right, that's how that qualifies. You need a Laramie tuns All night tonight because there are not enough great names in this round.
Speaker 9: Look, Dan, I grew.
Speaker 11: Up in the home with a father as a pastor, and I'm live on air, and I'll be honest with that.
Speaker 9: I don't know what's in that mask.
Speaker 6: I don't know what.
Speaker 9: I've never seen one of those things before.
Speaker 11: You've never smoked poppy, No, but I but I've never seen that contraption. Yeah, and there like I'm like, I don't even know how to respond to this, but I was like, he's a heck of a tackle.
Speaker 9: I can tell you.
Speaker 2: I'd take him high. Oh no, no, I know I don't mean that way. All right, Paulie, you're a hot take for Daniel.
Speaker 8: Was that tight end of LSU David Lafleur, Yes, yes, I looked it up, all right. The Patriots will trade down out of four with the Bears. The Bears will trade up to four to get Carter out of Penn State.
Speaker 11: So I've heard there's again the last twenty four hours, a lot of chatter about the Bears trying to be aggressive to move up, whether that was to three or to four, and Carter was the name A lightly hot, Yeah, I think it's I think it's hot, but I think it's it's shared.
Speaker 9: I think that's that's floating around.
Speaker 8: Jackson Dart will be drafted by the Saints at nine, I.
Speaker 11: Don't think so. I think the Saints go quarterback in round two. So that's a hot I'll give you a hot take on that one. By the way, Dan, you asked Kurt what game keeps him up at night? And I just feel a little bit slighted that you didn't ask me that same question.
Speaker 2: I'm not done yet.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Appalachian State.
Speaker 10: It was eight.
Speaker 9: Western Carolina.
Speaker 11: It was a cold day in Kullowey, and I just had tough time holding onto the ball man.
Speaker 9: We lost the Old Mountain jug that day.
Speaker 2: Fumbles, interceptions, yes, and your draft stock, Yeah, that's tough. Who plays quarterback the way you played quarterback.
Speaker 11: Who plays quarterback the way I played quarterback?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 11: Nobody in the NFL, unfortunately, Dan, Oh, yeah, Dan, Dan was a little better than I was.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: He's Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network lead analyst, and I'll bother him tonight with a couple of text message just said. When you go to commercial break by the way eight Eastern you can see their coverage with Rich Iceon leading the charts. Great to see again, Thank you, Bud. I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Jay.
Speaker 2: We'll come back. We'll close up shop after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jeremiah is a great guest, very very very insightful and having been a scout and been in these war rooms and gives you great firsthand experience. And he'll be on the call with Rich Eisend and company tonight NFL Network. Let me see you know. And so much of this draft is focused on shud Or Sanders, and I get it because of Dion. I also get this, and it's not fair for me to say it without attaching names to it. But because I don't know if who's influenced by Dion, I get the feeling there are a lot of not a lot, but there are mock drafts and analysts who are very careful about how they assess shud Or Sanders. Do they truly believe he's a first round draft pick or are they doing it because you don't want to get on the bad side of Dion Sanderson. And this is just a feeling I have. I think there are probably more analyst than you would think who are not sold on Shudor Now. I voted for him third in the Heisman. I watched him. I watched him a lot. He did take a lot of hits. He was tough, he completed seventy three percent of his passes. He's comfortable in the spotlight. There's a lot of nice things to learn or to welcome with Shador Sanders. But I do think that processing the game in NFL time, as opposed to college time, that will be the biggest challenge for him. And you'll hear scouts say this, that you get to the line of scrimmage, how do you process that quickly? Not that he can't, that's not the point. It's the clock is sped up. I think there's a real chance that Shador does not get drafted in the first round tonight. I really believe that. And that's not to say he can't be successful. I just think and it might be better for him he gets on a better team. He's not asked to be a star right away. Cam Ward has to come in and be a star and the pressure we see that all the time. It's tough to live up to that. But Shadour, you know, and when somebody asked me about it, he's comfortable in the spotlight. And that's that's, you know, a transition that you have to make when you get to the NFL speaking to the media, everything you say is measured. You're going to go through highs and lows. Your Dad's not there, Travis Hunter's not there, and I think that'll be the key for Shadoor Sanders. I think there's more question marks than people are willing to admit with Shador this day in sports history, Paulie.
Speaker 9: Just got one for you.
Speaker 8: I wonder if Shador Sanders might take a pay cut if he goes in the second round, make less in the pros than in college. Sandy Kofax nineteen sixty one, Start got eighteen batters, becoming the first basically picture to DUSA on two different occasions. Nineteen sixty three, the Saw Celtics won their fifth straight NBA title. Nineteen ninety four, David Robinson the Spurs or It's seventy one points against the Clippers.
Speaker 2: The Cleveland Indians in nineteen sixty two traded Harry Cheety to the Mats for a player to be named later. Fifteen games later, the Mets decided the player to be named later was actually cheating, who becomes the first baseball player traded for himself. Bob Coosey plays his last NBA game Boston beats the Lakers to win the title. This is wrong. Bob Coosey played in nineteen seventy for the Cincinnati Royals at age forty one. That's the last game he ever played. Had a couple of costly turnovers. The New York Knicks won their eighteenth consecutive game, and you know Koozy made mistakes there at the end of the game. All right, let's go around the room. Marvin, what did you learn today?
Speaker 6: Matt Miller said, there's levels to be at a bust.
Speaker 2: Todd would you learn Today.
Speaker 7: Kurt Wanner recalls what a big deal was for him when he got the call oner he was named NFL Player.
Speaker 3: Of the Week seatan Would you learn Kurt doesn't care about the air and the ball pool?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you learn? Love the hot take game? What we learned brought to you by the great folks at Miller Like for fifty years. Miller Light the top pick for beer lover since nineteen seventy five, the original Light Beer. Enjoy the draft, we'll dissect it with you coming up tomorrow. For the great audience here at the bar, Thank you for coming out for Marvin, Pritsy, Seaton, Paulie yours truly. We'll talk to you on Friday.