Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, God is welcome back. Earn your leads. Yip ya special special edition.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, energy is high.
Speaker 2: But before we start, but we gotta tell you to backstory. This episode, one of the one of the one of the people's favorites is episode number eleven. Darry Falcon restaurant owner from Baltimore to listen to the episode you're doing yourself with.
Speaker 3: Your minister, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So when he came on, he uh, he was talking and he said a line, and he said this line.
Speaker 4: When we see that a young black kid is he's fifteen years old and he's six y.
Speaker 5: Nine and he could driple.
Speaker 3: We gotta make sure yo.
Speaker 5: We we we clamoring, like keep him out of trouble and make sure he get home.
Speaker 4: But when you see the young black entrepreneurs twenty years old who's selling nachos, you know, like my young man killer from Nacho Bang, he sell a nachos, you.
Speaker 5: Throw him to the wolves. Oh you know my cousin, my uncle, my cracking uncle. Can you sweep the steps up?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 4: Stop doing that, because they do that all the time. They tend to undermine the value of our entrepreneurs. With essentially our entrepreneurs, I created all the future.
Speaker 2: So when he said that line, when he said that line, I didn't really know what he was talking about. Honestly, I didn't really know what he was talking about.
Speaker 3: No one called it.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, man kill him, not Joe. He's telling He's telling nachos, and I'm like, all right, but but but so what happened was so when that clip, when the clip came out, I put the clip on Instagram and and my man, not your Bangers, he commented in the comment like, Yo, I'm the kid. I'm not you. I'm the kid he's talking about. I was like, oh, And then I looked on his page and I've seen he had like sixty thousand followers on Instagram. He got a whole movement going, and I'm like, oh, so now we connected the dots. So the dope thing about Your Leasure is that it's more than just a podcast. Is his storylines involved. It's a whole vib So from that, so we met him in person at our DC event. Him and his man a shot to out. They came, they came to our podcast, and they came to the workshop. And then from there he said, I'm not you said, bro, I know you are. So we had we had a conversation. And he's from Baltimore. So coming back to New York, we had to, you know, pass through Baltimore on our way back from d C. So we stopped at his spot and we ate and he was telling us his story.
Speaker 3: We gotta be to him. He's usually closed.
Speaker 2: The spot. We'll talk about that. He opened the spot for us. We ate and we had like an hour long conversation, like, Yo, you want to come on the podcast and he's like yeah. So he was in New York for DJ MVY and Caesars similar to them, shout out to them, y alumni, and afterwards came to E Yo Studios and this is where we are now. So first and foremost, thank you for sure, for sure. So all right, so my man, Nacho ban, what do you want me to call you? You want to call your government Hughie, Nacho.
Speaker 5: Hue, mister banger. I had to get my real name, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah. So the thing I like. The thing I like about Nacho is that a lot of people have been asking us, like, Yo, y'all got all of these moguls that have like one hundred properties establish but it's like, can you get like the up and coming entrepreneurs, Like because the thing about religions, we tell everybody's story, right, so like, yo, get an up and coming cat that's like, you know what I'm saying, doing his thing, but it's still in the beginning stages. So Nacho fits that perfectly. Twenty three years old, and he had a whole booming operation going on in Baltimore with the with the food. He had the food truck, and then he had a ghost restaurant. We'll talk about what the ghost restaurant is. And then he had a really creative idea to like brand his food business with dancing and that went viral and like a lot of the musicians and all that. So he's a young entrepreneur coming out of Baltimore, So this is gonna be an exciting story.
Speaker 3: His story was just so compelling. When we said when we went to the spot, we were just like yo.
Speaker 6: Man, as we eat in the food that was delicious, by the way, it was just like, yo, we gotta get this kid up here.
Speaker 3: Man, y'all for coming man.
Speaker 5: You know, uh, I always say, never ever trust a skinny chef. You know, one bite tastes like love. But I had to get y'all get that one bite, man.
Speaker 3: That's all we needed.
Speaker 2: So all right, so can we can we take it back from the beginning? All right? So what's your story? How do you how do you get involved in in food in the food industry, and what's your what's your what's your backstory coming from Baltimore, what's your story?
Speaker 5: How it is? Just like you know, when I was at your podcast in DC, when I met y'all there, like I met my man, Ash Cash, he said, from cheese and chips, you know, sixty dollars to six figures. So I started, I started off, broke, started off. I ain't hand, I don't know what to do. She got out of hogh Schital I got out Jan fifteenth, twenty sixteen. I got out of I got out of high school. So I'm like, what's next for me? What's next? I say, you know, I had to bag of weed. I'm ready jug the weed off, get a half of Baby the Money. And I was on your Then I was on Instagram. I always say your is hitting your daily routine. Every day. I'm on social media every day. I'm looking at different people. So I got on the Food Network channel. I seen the play the nachos. I said, I can make that. It wasn't just an ordinary nachos though, like you just see nachos. It was like a crazy blend. And I was like, I can put that together. I can make that. So I went in my neighborhood, and I'm just telling people like, ooh, I'm ready, s I'm making some nachos. Y'all want something, y'all gonna buy something. Everybody like, yeah, a little spot cull Glover, East Baltimore. So I'm like, y'all gonna buy something. I be like, man, come on, make them I need though. So they were so hype because I burned the energy too. One thing I love is energy, so they love my energy. And I made the food. I went to get this hold up, let me go brun it back. I went to get to trades my aunt. And when I got to trades my aunt, I went nuts with the recipe. When nuts to the recipe, I started July to fifteen, twenty sixteen, only had sixty dollars to my name, sixty dollars. Walk to the market, grabbed the food, put the nacho together real good. I was like, what, I'm a car list. It's a banger, not your bangers.
Speaker 3: So you're talking about like literally like the iron trade that like if I put the foil on, like you didn't even have that first.
Speaker 5: I ain't have nothing. I just had a bowl that you buy a tortilla. Those doritos in it. Yeah, adding met ed the kso and I got to put a special sort.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get into that.
Speaker 5: We wanna tell you about the sauce. So when I put the sauce in there, it was a bang of for real, it started like that. So you straight out the house, the house, so you got the tray, you got that. Now you just walking outside like yo, nachos is here. So I mind you went to the neighborhood, be five. So I branded myself. I marked myself with five. Went mind you straight out the house, no hot water, no gas on. So we really in a band though I'm in my baby mama house, a band of baby still in her stomach and the oven. I had to come up with come kind of hustle. Hustle is how you used to carry your tree, life experience, how you survived through life every day. That's how I look at hustle.
Speaker 3: I mean, your story goes bad further though, go.
Speaker 5: Back further from like how I grew up. You know, I ain't grew up with love. I grew up with struggle. I grew up with struggle. No structure, you know, foster care from three to six, my brother as he introduced me to my mom. When I was six years old, he stole me out to foster care at home, the married couple that we was through foster care. He stole me out of there, introduced me to my mom. Shout out the big cat, you feel me? He introduced me to my mother. And when he introduced my mother, I'm like, all right, this is a mom. You feel me? Not saying this a mom. I just never under the mother before. I grew up with no father anyway, So when I first met a lady that, oh this mom, Okay, she was abused to the substance. So my stepfather was on her life. They want us from they you know, went to the courts. They want us back, me and my brothers and sisters. So when they want us, I started going to my mother house I was six years old. From there, she was abused to the substance, getting the hind things of that nature. Tool box locked the door. No curfee for me. I was outside the trenches.
Speaker 3: Six six years old.
Speaker 5: I caught the nickname kill, called the nickname killer. A friend of mine's, John B. Recipes, he gave me the nickname killer. I was just a bad little minace. I was a bad little kid in the community and minister of society. So it's real negative into the streets. And the name carried me to now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean when we spoke, it was like usually when the kid is like the kid, don't act that acts up all the time.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's what the neighborhood loves that. Now you become a young boy for everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was. I was everybody's son. I was everybody's son everybody. I was everybody first kid.
Speaker 3: I like that, you said son, that's a New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was everybody first kid before anybody started making kids. I was everybody's favorite little young and yo, he bad yo, but I won't go take them shop because he's dirty. Yeah. So I was everybody a little young and they took me out, you know. But I always knew morals. I always knew not to still always knew how to respect the woman. You know them queens that you see God, respect her. I can't call out her name. I gotta respect her, but do that trial right now. I had my second friend in life, Cuffey, so my got coffee. He always like like he snup me in his house before and I was staying there. You know, my house wasn't no structure. When it rain, we felt that a rat. We lived through that. When the rat ran through the we was in a real vik. We was in the we call it vics the bandole. They was like the real real vegant home. Were sleeping in there and on the bed. When it ring, we felt that once again I seen the ring. I can see the sky looking up. Yeah. So my second friend, he always sleupp me in his house. My second friend of life, Cuffey was like six years old. This boy posed to had no company. You hear me. He sneaking me through the back door, Dug Biggie chip ver. He scared me him. He sneaked me in there. I'm staying with him. You know me, I ain't had nothing. So I stole his clothes, stole his shoes. Yeah, but I put it back when I came back in the house. It was a little dusty. But from there, that second friend of life, man, he just we went so far at I started his brand, notcho bangers, Like it was a brand for me.
Speaker 2: So what made you want to start? Not like coming coming from from adverse circumstances and coming off the street corner. What made you say, okay, I want to be an entrepreneur. Did that just happen by accident?
Speaker 5: It was I don't even know. I didn't know what I was doing. I was just blind to the game. I was blind to the lifestyle. I just had a vision to do so, like your fortunes and your daily routine. I'm on social media. I see a play the nachos. I told myself, I can make them. I put it together first. I started off with strat of cheese. I don't even know how to really make the case so real good, wipe it down. I was microwaven. My strength at one point in time wasn't even something tan or wasn't even grilling them. Just put the obay in a butter bowl, put the stripping, the throw them in a microwave. It's still a little tender when you buy it.
Speaker 3: No, no culinary school needed, no.
Speaker 5: School, no no school, No mother that taught me how to cook, No grandmother that taught me how to cook everything straight and learned from self?
Speaker 2: Who taught you how to cook?
Speaker 5: Myself? Like just trawling error. Yeah, try YouTube, you know how to make noodles, and uh so I just put the same season. I put in the noodles like I think the steak season. Go ahead, oh old Bay putting old band ahead. Oh yeah, it's a banger. So I get to mix it up. And from there, you know, I got the friends around. Shout out the young yankee A one band. Uh they get to eat in my food. He be like, bro, yeah, just the one in the neighborhood approve of it had twelve customers in one day, two hundred plus in one month.
Speaker 2: That's the first. That's the first.
Speaker 5: That's the first day.
Speaker 2: So you start all all right, So you start off you had sixty dollars and you said you had to borrow sixty right, Oh you asked for all and never cash that.
Speaker 3: So high school.
Speaker 5: I graduated high school. So we're going through the we're doing the resume and stuff. Since you get out of hospital, you want, I gotta get a job, a good one, so the plumber. I got the plomba. All this time, I went to school for one month. I graduated. I went to school for one month.
Speaker 3: Wait for well for the entree.
Speaker 5: I went to school. Yeah, and then I played the streets. So I really I was living through survival.
Speaker 3: So, like you said, in total one month total, one month.
Speaker 5: Basically I went for that last month in school.
Speaker 2: For the finals for the last year, for your senior years, last year.
Speaker 5: So I got with the Goddess counselors. I linked with the Goddess counsels. I linked up with the counselors like you know, the administrators. That that was able to help me. That was a I was a bad kid.
Speaker 2: So you went to school for a month and graduated, still.
Speaker 5: Had to pay my des They shut the school down the same.
Speaker 2: What did I what I say about public school easy that that this doesn't help. I said, as long as you as long as you showed up and then curse to teach you out, you got to be.
Speaker 3: But he didn't even show up.
Speaker 5: He show up a graduated anything. I did see this this, I paid the d's. I paid my four hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: For like seeing trips and Captain Gown.
Speaker 5: Get to the trips. They just want the money. They wanted the money. I just paid. I paid the d's and I graduated. So the education that I did get out of there, the main thing I still learned from high school is the five W. So the five WS. Once I learned the five ws, it just took me everywhere like what I wanted to deal in life.
Speaker 2: So all right, so you asked the ball sixty dollars to start the business.
Speaker 5: D asks mebout sixty dollars. So my best friend we graduated. I'm doing a faster for. I'm doing the resumes and stuff. So we got to that fast for. I'm getting a lord like bothered because I'm like my mother gotta come. Oh, she definitely not coming.
Speaker 3: They got usign the papers.
Speaker 5: They got to sign the paper. So I'm like, man, this ain't gonna work out. I said, you know what, I ain't.
Speaker 2: Paying no debt.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna build my own depth. So I was always looking at debt like it was money. So I was like college, No, that ain't really for me. So for me, I was like, man, I'm a ready started. I'm ready started selling food on a grill. That was my main topic, like sell food on the grill. I told my best friend like, ma, I say, mar let me hold sixty dollars. I got you, bro never gave me the sixty. Two weeks later, I asked my baby mama. I asked my child mother, can I borrow the sixty dollars? She gave me sixty dollars and from there I made it.
Speaker 2: So all right, so it comes up. So you make this this dish and it becomes popular in your neighborhood.
Speaker 5: It becomes popular neighborhood, people.
Speaker 2: Start buying it up, and you get a consistent flow of people that's.
Speaker 5: Got assistant customers. So pull up to your house, they put up to my credit is where I live at?
Speaker 2: Okay, so all right, walk me through the first month. How's this first month? Player?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: How are you getting orders? Are they texting you? DM? And U like, what's it looking like?
Speaker 5: The DM? The phone calls? So I had the Instagram banging the phone calls, you know, the walkthrough, just because I started the neighborhood first. It was just in there I walked.
Speaker 2: So how old are you at eighteen? I was nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 5: Nineteen, straight out of high school nineteen July of fifteen, twenty sixteen. So that first datum twelve customers people that I post, I promoted on Instagram. The main ni how started. I took pictures with the customers like this with a good smile, and I posted on everybody that shot with me. I took a picture with them, and I took a picture of them, and I used social media as that platform as my documentary of life, every day life, my documentary. So I looked at social media and I put every picture everybody that shot with me with that day and through the whole month, I took a picture and post them. So by me getting hot, they was getting hot too because they were like, oh, he went that's my uncle, that's my aunt, that's my little sister, that's my kids. So everybody was like, I got to see what that's about.
Speaker 2: So what at what point do you really start to like like blow it up and.
Speaker 5: Google with six figures?
Speaker 6: Was because I had too much money in the shoe box, So you're taking the revenue in right straight.
Speaker 3: At that time, were charging five hours for taco, no.
Speaker 5: This, twelve dollars for a notcho. It was no wrap or not.
Speaker 2: Straight straight cash, straight cash. You didn't have a credit card process or.
Speaker 5: Somebody told me go to Walmart by a little square thing. I hit the square up on my and the square up on my joint phone to my phone starts swiping.
Speaker 2: Cards to how me customers? You averaging per day?
Speaker 5: Oh per day?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: I couldn't even count. I don't even I couldn't even count. Man, I was saying, like I can tell you, we was making ten bands a week, ten thousand a week, ten thousand a week. Saw me this by myself at the time, just straight out out the really out the band. So you're making ten thousand a week at nineteen years old, you got you got a nice thing going. And then at what point do you get the food truck? So I got a full van. I was still out of a caravan. I was out of regular little van banging around the neighborhood. First, like late night, I ain't closed. We always opened up from six pm to twelve am. So I opened up late. And that's some times everybody right, get off of work for the boom summertime here, so six or twelve at the twelve o'clock I did the night life. So I started doing the parties and stuff.
Speaker 3: So so you're pulling up the van after the club club.
Speaker 5: This is a good because I was pulling up in the van in the trenches where they where they selling the hard drugs. That were they selling drugs at I was pulling up on I was pulling up on the boys that was on the block. Because they ain't leaving. They making their money right there. So I feed them right there with the nachos.
Speaker 2: Now, I've seen it on Instagram. I saw it a year ago because I'm observing when you when you when you hit us. I looked at your page and I look back like twenty seven weeks and I saw him like, all right, these kids heavy in the streets right now and then. So but the thing I like about this is that you have no formal training. But it's like sometimes common sense goes a lot further than just you know, college, right, So it's like you know, if you know, if you ever been to a club, you know that people are hungry after the club they eat, you want to go to diners. That's why in New York, like the food trucks are real big. So it's like you have your own makeshift food truck, and you know what time the club closes, you know where people are at at three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 6: After you've consume all that liquid, you've got to have some food in your stomach. Right, So that's what I said, Like Max Maxwell said this, but this is true.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: You took an imperfect action. You had no idea what you were going to do. I'm just gonna do it.
Speaker 5: I'm just going to do it, you know. Fearless. I was just feeless because the manage. I'm still trapping out my house. I'm in Baltimore City. You know, I'm happy my name was good enough. And that lifestyle, you know, growing up that that's what helped me out as well, because people respecting me from from the lifestyle growing up, you know, because I have respect and I gave him respect. So growing up they had that respect that the one robbed the house anything like that, We was good that and I all praised me to a law. That's the biggest thing, you know, got to put a law first. I was praying. I was on my dean. I praised so much by me praying a lot. That's what God dank is connected. So I always walked fearless. The only fear I had was a fear of a law.
Speaker 2: So after the after the truck, right, I was the van. Don't even get so after So you got the van, You got the van. Now you you you're selling out of your house and you your mobile.
Speaker 5: So I'm preparing it wasn't It wasn't. No hot plate in the van and nothing. We just got a van, got a wrap with the Nacho Bangal logo. I'm preparing the food and I'm preparing the food and I'm putting it into the inner van, so you you're prepping like for.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't really it wasn't really a food truck. It was just the.
Speaker 5: It was like it was like advertising what I like going to a billboard. All we got doing the marketing on Instagram. I'm advertising on the van. So the police either beat the horn, beat beat what y'all got in there? Be hungry?
Speaker 3: They nothing that is hungry.
Speaker 5: So that's built our clientele with the offices and things, built our client on the streets because well that's not your bang up and pulled up over beat the horn. So you know, we were just feeding people.
Speaker 2: I got one for you, shout out a hot bad giving you the food on the road, pull up to you in traffic and we ain't know what that station with me, were just driving catch you in traffic literally literally. All right. So the next time we're gonna talk about the scaling model, ghost restaurants and where you go from there, dance moves as well. Here we get to that, all right. So okay. So you start out the bendo you you're you're selling hot plates. Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: The hand not choked bangers.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Then and then you get the van. You wrap it with your your logo you put put before the van.
Speaker 5: It was a regular little caravevan. So first I'm gonna shure have my mentor. I got two mentors in life, one Uncle T. Number two is Dark Falcon. You have to be real careful of people you call your mentors. Yeah, you have to be careful when you call your mentors because they gotta live up to a lifestyle that you actually can live by and follow through. Uncle Tea is my life coach. Dirk is my financial advisor. He's my mentor. He's everything I need as being the entrepreneur in the restaurant industry. So I go to Dark Falcon for everything in that in that nature, and Uncle T I go for everything that I need. You know, how to be a father, how to how to maintain you know, my health, my wealth. You know Uncle Tea and Uncle Tea his daughter came.
Speaker 3: To the crib.
Speaker 5: She's like, I want some nachos, and he was like, where out the house? I'm not going in there house like a trap like a trap house. He was like, no, they sell nachos in there. So Uncle t came in. He came, He came in my spot, him and his daughter, and he was like, wow, I see how this kid got it. So he see how I got the got everybody in line waiting on their food and stuff. The line is literally lined up out the house all the way inside to the kitchen. So he come in and see the operation. He bring his best friend Tony with him. So before they leave, I'm like, Uncle Tee, look, look, hold up, let me get these people out of here before you leave me. Let me get these people out of there. Don't leave me yet. So he waited. You know, I made him extra nachos because they waited for the wait his bestroom like, man, what are some lamp chops? I didn't want no food out of those trap house. So I'm like, man, listen, it is the best nachos ever. So Uncle Tea and them they waited for me. I told I ran Uncle tat I got you out of the kitchen. I said, man, look, man might get evictim. Man like you don't got no house, no store front or nothing. Uncle Tea like, look, my best friend Tony. He just got past all the expections and days you can ask you your restaurant in here. So Uncle Tea told me the time to come the next day. I was there before everybody got there. I would have so dedicated. I had that that hustling me, like I gotta get here. So they let me in the storefront. I came in there with with three thousand dollars, came up front with three thousand dollars, you know, walked to the storefront while he was ready to getting victied because I wasn't paying nobody else's debt that was on her mother. Like, I wasn't paying nobody else's debt. I wanted to Yeah, this is my child mother, and she was still pregnant at the time. I'm like, look, we rather get an apartment. I'm not paying for your family debt at all. I'm getting about here. We got a room in here.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: We're getting about of here. So she was with whatever I was with at the time. So Uncle t was like, man, I like you kid, so tell tell you this is not his store. This is his best friend's store. So his best friend like, man, you're not put that kid in my store. So I got babysitting for like good seven months before they either gave me keys, So I had to wait for them to open the door, had to they had to lock the door behind me.
Speaker 3: But they let you have the store.
Speaker 5: They let me have the store only opened up from six to twelve though, the same time when they when they when they were closed, when they were closed, right, Yeah, they did the breakfast time. So they did breakfast from like nine to nine to five.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: So you open up, you open up a restaurant pretty much make shift restaurant and somebody else's restaurant.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like I was using their kitchen.
Speaker 5: I was using it, paying them around. I was playing one thousand a month.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you can only use it at night time. They didn't trust you, then I trust me. They had to open the door, close the door.
Speaker 5: They had to lock it closed because look, you got a young kid, nineteen years old. Yeah. I don't know what this kid into, but you know, I had to build my trust with from now, and I built that relationship with you.
Speaker 2: So how do you how do you meet Dery Falcon?
Speaker 5: So, Drek Falcons, I met Dark out of Sharif brother Sharif Man good brother, good Muslim brother, own a lot of restaurants. His story is similar to minds how he started his restaurants and his empire and the restaurant industry. So I'm like, so he ain't got a lot of time on his hand, so he couldn't really meant to me. So Dark he passed me to dark Man. Dark was just like inspired ration. I'm like, I can relate. He was relatable around my age, talk, my tone, low key with everything. He in his vibe, in his vibe, and i felt this vibe and his energy, and I'm like, man, this is what I'm trying to do in life.
Speaker 3: They need.
Speaker 5: The main thing he taught was system, save yourself, time, energy and money. Taught me system.
Speaker 3: You said when he walked into your store, he was like, Yo, throw everything out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, throw everything out. He walked to my store, throw everything out. This is not what you're doing.
Speaker 3: This is not how you wanna at that time. What's the story looking like?
Speaker 5: Your store looking like a trap? I saw, I knew it was the house, so a lot of customers in there, you know. So Dark was like, I'm gonna come back on a day when it's not open. What did you close? I sound like I'm a little bit don I'm gonna come back. What did you not open? What did you close on? That's what were gonna come so mind you, I ain't know the problem of margin, not the business. I ain't know how much portion to put it in our chows. I ain't know nothing. So Dirk came in there for free and scaled my restaurant.
Speaker 3: So you just literally out here doing did you even know what a profit margin was?
Speaker 5: That? I don't know what a profit margin was. I ain't know no numbers or anything. That's why it's good. The networking could I don't even know what networking was. Literally, I just knew you, all right, that's a customer that was supporting. But then when I got with Dirk, I learned what the consumers was, what the supporter was. You know, cosumans is someone who buy supporters and people that's going to actually tell you what you're doing good and what you're doing wrong and how you're able to scale this and be better. So one thing, Darky came in, he scaled the restaurant. He's like, you gotta make some changes in here. You had to really build things, you know, portions things that nature. You have to really learn how to portion your items, how to really scale it. And once I learned how to scale it, it changed my life.
Speaker 2: So like, what do he like? What's some of the things that like? The key things that he taught you.
Speaker 5: The key thing he taught me was the right down the measurements. The measurements that the meat, you know, six ounces for that, that's the bang of three ounces for the chicken rap. You know this, how you scale to put this amount of strimping there? Because I was feeding them with shrimp strip? How do you want to get that my seatpood off for three dollars right right?
Speaker 3: You're thinking, like your overhead gonna be real high doing this.
Speaker 5: So I had a I got a nice easy menu like the like my food cause he taught me the food costs of things like bro your food cost is low, you're giving too much out, You're just doing the mods. And I'm like, man, I don't know this lifestyle. I just know how to hustle. I know how to trap, take a risk and prosper. That's all I knew at the time, take a risk and proce with trap. But that helped me how to grow man get rid of your old wage.
Speaker 3: So that at that time, right, you was doing ten thousand in the house. Now you got the store front. Yeah, we're getting more.
Speaker 5: So maj is over here now. So you got BG, You got employees. You have a rent that I didn't add no problem when I was dolls. So all this stuff is new to me, another paid rent. I ain't had my own apartment or nothing yet. Yeah, employees, that's crazy. I had some employees, man, shout the rock cam Taja. I had some good employees.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, it was actually customers at one point in time, and I made my employee. I told one girl how to run a cash resident. We ain't even had no cash RESI it was the money in the box. Still, I'm in the store with the dollars, going to buy dollars here, files here, ten's here, twenties here, hundreds right here, undneath this other box.
Speaker 3: With the calculator, with the caula, every item like that.
Speaker 5: You know, she liked that. She don't know anything else, just the cash, right, So I told her to meet the cash region and make the juicus for the people. And that's how we're going to rock out.
Speaker 2: So at what point do you leave there because you got your own You got your own spot at one point too, right, what restaurant, it's not a restaurant storefront.
Speaker 5: No, this is my storefront, just the one so atterwards the guys and stuff. Mister Tony, he had a crew in there for the breakfast time and lun lunch and almost dinner.
Speaker 2: Then I came in to ye're pretty much sharing her two restaurants restaurants in one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they failed first and tip and learning, so I learned off of them. I understand Cashy's acronyms failed first and tip and learning, so once they fail, I had to realize that could happen. The restaurant closed the yeah they pa So I'm like I came back to it. Another problem. It is like Tony, look, man, I know y'all ain't really doing good. Can I get up there?
Speaker 3: Can I get that? You want to take that time? Can I get that time?
Speaker 5: So it was a big hump for me, like all right, because a lot of people couldn't get to me at six now, so how much is it right now? The rent went up a thousand dollars, But you got it. It's your spot twenty five everything mins, whatever, that whatever I want to do, I open up on twelve. So I opened up from twelter twelve.
Speaker 6: But that took sixty seven months of trust plus them failing. And now you're saying, let me, I'm gonna take some opportunity maximizing.
Speaker 2: So what happens?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: So you're up, You're open. It's your spot now, twelve to twelve, your show. How's how's it working for?
Speaker 5: It was going amazing. It was it still is amazing. It was going amazing.
Speaker 1: My man.
Speaker 5: It every day I'm cooking up, I get to see that lunch crowd. So we need a hospital, John Hawkins. So I get to see that crowd come. I get to see all these this new crowd come, so that bring that fresh money. I wasn't never saying out of the house, how old were you?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 5: I was twenty twenty yep, so twenty twenty years old, So I'm looking at twenty years old. I'm in the kitchen every day. You know, it got overwhelmed. And then because I got so many cousins, so I had to start, you know, hiring people and things that nature. So coffee was always shotow I got coffee. He was always promoting and things. So I'm trying to give him money like couve teen's two hundred.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I love how you promote. He ain't wanted no money. Keep your money, bro, so coffee to start coming there, giving me your hand with things. Then he turned to my partner.
Speaker 3: Yeah just from the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all right. So that was two thousand and fifteen, seventeen, twenty seventeen. So twenty seventeen, you up and running and like what are you selling? Like what's now? What's you have?
Speaker 5: The Nacho bangers? You have the Bang of raps, you have the Bang of Juice.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: You had to like bang of juice. No, we ain't even the tacos yet, so we had the Bang of Juice. It was just three items on the menu. Then uh Maji ran the cross dark dark say six items. He taught me how to measure my items out, itemized my items on the menion. Because I looked at his minion, I'm like, it's a little bit of stuff, but it's good. So I looked at his meniu and I started like, all right, look, I'm start with six items. Now six items, so I put the rap I put the Nacho banger first, made the raps, the juice, the cheese steaks, the coffee bulls, and the fries. So I made six items. What's the cuffy ball? The couffee balls, like a homemade mashed potatoes, real steak, not the fake steak. The bowl that I carry you tos caso in there with the sauce every day. May well extra love, you know what I'm saying. May extual love, love, extual love. So when you bite this comfortable?
Speaker 2: So all right? So you so so now you still got you still got the po van at that time.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I still got the van at this time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all right, so now you got delivering too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're delivering as well. So now you gots we delivered like to events and things and you ain't delivered like this regular on the street because we both was in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: So now you got the van and you got the store. How much money you bringing in a month from the whole operation?
Speaker 5: Man? So ten ten a week. We was being in like a good fitty k forty forty forty a month, forty a month. Yeah, twenty years old, winning, net winning, doing what's supporting? Now?
Speaker 2: So after the after your expence it how much you I know at that time, I know that's understand and I respect that because it's like what you told us before, like that kind of hurt you later on. And that happens with entrepreneurs all the time too, where it's like they don't know how much, especially if you young, you're getting money. It's like, I don't know, but it catches up with you down the line.
Speaker 5: It catch up with you down the line. So uh, come with that. You know, when I got to the six figures, spar I told you had to google what six figures was. I even had to google where the father was, you know, not not growing on. No father in my life had to google, like all right, this what the father is? Right down the steps of what fathers do, right down with six figures. I'm like, oh, it's only six Zipo was like like, for it's only one hundred k. Literally, I said, okay, And I learned that. I started looking at my numbers doing a clover. So I went to a bank, you know, shout out the a April Diva style, she's on the block. So this when I got the mindset of a millionaire. Blocks. That's how blocked twenty four hundred I'm on how block now, so mind you. So it was a it was so mind you. So somebody gave me game, you know, the customers give me gaging, the customers around the neighborhood. Somebody sat on the house. I'm sitting outside somebody like, you know, you're on a millionaire block. Right it's a black it's a black owned block. Right here. I say what you mean by that? He said, April, right there, that's millionaires, he said. The pawn shop right here, they are billionaires. He said. The next restaurant next to you, dare millionaires. He said, what that makes you said, the next millionaires?
Speaker 3: Fact facts.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, you know, I go, I go higher. Aple Dealer Styles. You know that's wild Wife shout the wild so Al. That's one of my female mentors as well. You got three female mentors. You have Aple Devon Styles, you have Shana she counting. You have my mom a kid, my mother kid. I met her through through the trenches, for real, you know, through the trenches. She was one of the queens in the in the neighborhood. That really taught me everything.
Speaker 6: So you are twenty years old, You've brought in forty thousand dollars. You're not eve really sure what the numbers are?
Speaker 5: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: What are we buying?
Speaker 5: What? Oh? So we buying all types of cars, Mandy, the baby just was born, so pants and wipes.
Speaker 2: That was serious?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, buying new cars, buy my child mother a new car. Panning rent off for like a year, you know, so I'm paying every cord. I'm paying rent off for a quarter worth? Oh right, yeah, this is how much? It's a thousand a month right here?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Boom, still paying a landlord, so paning rent for the store. So these are bills now, so I'm starting lying. Okay, this has been paying employment. Didn't know the food costs, So I'm messing up money on fool cause just paying too much for food. I'm paying too much for food. I'm paying too much for employment because I ain't no no better.
Speaker 3: So when you went to full day, how many employees?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Now I like the label. So it's only two employees now, you know, want to do the cash here and want to do everything that was the portions, the the prep, the prep, the portions.
Speaker 3: You know me, Ernest, what's up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like, the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p o d Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash po d katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: At that time, right, yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like half day you had like two and then oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: So it was always like I have full employees. Every four employees a day, you have twelve to six. That was that was two employees six to twelve. That was two employees.
Speaker 2: How much was you paying them?
Speaker 5: I was paying them like be real, man, I didn't even know what the what they call it.
Speaker 3: Wait wage was at the time. They was just love me.
Speaker 5: That's my boss. I'm young, I'm a boss. I had to google with the boss was so you know, I was paying like two d fifty and then I know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like I said, Sat, You're just paying them like just on something. Just street get two hundred fifty a head like that now answering that also a lot of time people people don't understand, like what you said about paying freebody for them, what you said about paying the rent up front is it's hard to understand if you've never seen that before. But I've seen it before, like when somebody had money and they moved too like a nice condo and they paid a whole year. They pay like twenty four thousand dollars up front up front. But it's like, obviously for somebody that's like educated on finance, it's like you could have used that for a damn payment of a house, right, But coming off a street corner, you're not thinking like that. And like I said, I've seen people do that before.
Speaker 5: I wasn't thinking that. That's time man. So uh, all that time, I'm wasting so much money, Like it was just money's going waste. I didn't know what it was going to waste, but I just knew it was money going. It was blonde.
Speaker 2: So at what point do you all right? So you get the you get the whole the whole city, in the frenzy with the and that. But then you started a dance or the.
Speaker 5: Notchr banger dance. This this will happen right we in the we in a car, wend a month, ten hand a month, tenna month. So then my boys a one ban and young like not your bangers, not your bangers. So you hearing the song, not your banger song. It's a one bane, So he like, not your bangers, not your bangers. We got beef, we got strength. One bite tastes like love. You can't even get it with cheese, your bangers. Yeah, with a Davi of sour cream, Dad Dad, with a David sour cream Dad Dad. So these guys in the car bumping had these my friends. So being got a studio in this house. Any make beats and everything. So a one beans straight going going to the studio cook up. He cooked up. I was cooking nacho. He cooking up beats. So he go cook out, Like what you what you mean you cook it up?
Speaker 3: I'm cooking up a beat.
Speaker 5: So they got in the studio, manyng inkey on the ad libs, and a one bans fired that thing. And to this day, man, we're still rocking concerts with that song. And after that, I just put a little dance together like this.
Speaker 2: We're gonna put the clip on YouTube.
Speaker 5: So Nacho banging dance went bavo. So all that's what attracted all the youth, you know. Then that's what got my foot into like speaking engagements with the youth, you know, how you started your business and things. Because all the kids start doing my dance. It was a dance, you know, even that dance he made it on Ellen shout the A one chops and number A one trail A one. Leak them them boys right there. They start doing a dance and that put the city in a friendly like they went on Ellen with that dance like.
Speaker 3: That was a crazy all right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so the dance, the dance goes crazy. Like I said, once again, I see because I do my research. I don't just I don't. I don't just I don't just listen to what people say. My research, and I've seen it. I saw it with my own eyes. I saw it in Morgan State. I saw it in the clubs in Baltimore. I saw the kids in the neighborhood doing it, and it was a it's a thing, like it's like a real thing in Baltimore. So from there, more and more people know who you are now because they know you from the even if they don't know your food.
Speaker 5: They so after the dance, you know, shout to Cuffey. That's my guys, my brother Cuffey Sauce. He came up with this thing called sauce. He went vying famous off the sauce with the W that's a three ws ce sauce, sauce, sauce sauce. So that's coffee stat right there. So that put the city in the whole nother level because now you have a hashtag that you actually say sauce. So when people see it's like sauce, you feel me. And that's what get our attention. It's a bangle for real, So we're catching you are you'll be this, Oh that's the sauce boys, sauce. It's a bangle for real. Like that's it was a catchy phrase to get people like now you if you don't even know it's now you're able to say one word and get us to smile, you know. So and that was catching because you know, I the same famous people. I didn't even know what to say. So, but if I know somebody got a crazy slogan, I'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, oh yeah, I can say something like yeah, it's a banger for real.
Speaker 5: It's a banger for real.
Speaker 2: So at what point, So you're blowing up in the streets and you're blowing money fast, yes, and you got the dance.
Speaker 3: What I was, Yeah, understandable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you but but at one point you realized that you had the real things in and become more organized. You met an account or something like that. That what happened with that?
Speaker 5: I met a financial advisor and how you meet him through April a style so financial advisor the cold growth. She's working the back of America at the time.
Speaker 3: So she was like, you are credit cards?
Speaker 5: What is that credit? You got credit card?
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is that?
Speaker 5: She's like, you don't got no credit? Like, man, what is credit? She broke the whole thing down to me, only spend twenty percent of this and do this, do that. I'm like, slow down for me. How do I start? Yeah, she said, first she got to open the bank account and put like five hundred dollars in there. Said, I don't deal with no banks. I'm in a shoebox.
Speaker 2: You keep your money in the shoe box.
Speaker 5: And keep my money in the shoe box inside plastic bags with every date on it. So I write the date of what I made the money. It's still out the store. So I write on the paper, oh this date, put the put the money that we made that day. Seal a bag up, put it in the shoe box.
Speaker 3: Real shoe box money real.
Speaker 5: So every month is a month of box or this this not you box god. That month that's April. There's not your box God. That's June. It's not your box god. That's month the month. So every box, I know what's in there because I'll be like, all right, that's three d it's only seven hundred that Oh all right, I'm gonna take that a zip my bag out. That's a dollar for the print.
Speaker 3: Alright, trap is anonymous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was out there, so it's like, no, you have to stop that. So she brought me in a bank. I'm so confused whole time. I ain't no realistic. I'm really building a relationship with the bank now, so they actually know me now. So she helped me build that relationship with the bank. To this day, she don't work there anymore. She had another bank, and the bank still love me, you know. So from there in mind, I'm still out the shoot. I'm still out the box. Pull my money into the store. So she she put me on game with the clover system. That's the pos. She put me on game like how to really start tracking? Cause I got employees. Now, come on, people still, so I'm not really knowing where money going. I'm just knowing if I make this quarter. My goal a day was eight hundred to one thousand dollars a day.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: When I got the store from had to learn like, all right, this one I'm gonna mate. I was making past that though it was scary.
Speaker 3: But oh yeah, I ain't thinking about that. People probably just yeah, but the.
Speaker 5: Love you know, off of love them that they not I did, I know. So she put the clover system up, taught me how to get the clothes cloth is a pos system. Track your money now.
Speaker 2: You know how much money comes in.
Speaker 5: To track everything now how much money come in. You can make invoices on it everything, so you can even do ads on there, like everything. So track my money down and things.
Speaker 3: She taught me that.
Speaker 5: She taught me how to credit card work, unsecured, secured credit card, all that financial literacy that I actually needed. She took our time with me. So she brought everything now on black and white on a piece of paper. She had just break it down. Do this, that's how you want to spend it. Things that nature This is a fecal sport she taught me everything you know, shout at her. She got a company called be More Savvy. She's building teaching free financial literacy to the community of Baltimore City. So and I definitely invite her to all my events about entrepreneurship so she could teach financial literacy to the world. And once she taught me that financial literacy part, it gave me a break. So I started really calculating my money, stop learning what the spread she was and things of that nature, through the through everything with the Clover system. So every day I'm on a Clover system looking like, oh right, I made that. Then I got strict with my money. I got strict with the employees that I had because now I'm looking at it like, oh hold up, invatory was hi, but we made this. No, who's stealing there? So I started getting back in the store roal heavy. I started watching my numbers and through then still money, still being missing inventory like this. So I'm like, all right, She's like, you have to get an accounting I can't keep helping you. You got to you have to keep books. She told me download quick books and thangs that nature. So I'm downloaded quick books. Come on, I ain't know what accounting was, and then she told me you got to pay them this much money. So I'm like, huh oh, they get a budget out my money. No, what's that app So I start doing the quick books myself. Dangs got overwhelmed because, oh man, I'm getting booked for all type of shows due to the dance. I'm getting booked for the shows and they just want you to show up for the nachos. I'm getting booked, not for the catering. I'm getting booked. We are getting booked. Me and coffe y'all getting booked for the shows, the entertainment parts. Then after the entertainment, I'm gonna start picking up the mic. So I started hosting as well, like one two one two, hold up, I start going crazy and the mic as well, so that club saying so notacho bangers, y'all, it's the bang of voice. So we get to going crazy and the mic and just getting booked for entertainment. So with that, it was like I couldn't do quick books no more. I'm getting all this kind of money coming in now, sol receipts, I'm going shopping, I'm saving every seat. I'm taking a picture of every receipt that I get, and I'm like, oh, this need to me. Every store I go to, I'm like, oh I need to receive the gas station I need to receive Yeah, for everything I spend, I need a receipt. So all my friends looking like what you can getting receipts for I'm saying, bro, you buy past shoes, make sure you give me your receipt. I know a guy who used to do that. Every time we would go out, He's sitting next to you, Yo, we would go out. He was like for years and I was like, yo, bro, what's And then I finally was like, oh that's why he's keeping the receipts like anytime, like he wouldn't even eat, Like, yo, let me.
Speaker 3: Get your receipt. I was like, ah, great, got it.
Speaker 5: So I start saving my receipts, and all my friends to this, not not to this day, but around that time, they used to give me the receipts and stuff, and I had a shoe box with the receipts to shoe botched all the receipts the days that I spent. So I started I was my own account and then as I know, so I was booking my own stuff and putting everything in order. So I got that's I learned order and I was putting everything together. Then it was got too overwhelmed. So I had to get an accounting and I started lining my money when the accounting taught me how to calulate my money. Then after that I got an assistant because I couldn't keep up with their account anymore because I'm moving the state to state now through the entertainment of the nachos. So I'm going to state to state, I'm going DC, I'm going to Atlanta. I'm going all over just to sell nachos, doing pop ups everywhere, and I'm meeting different people on I'm networking. So I got me an assistant. Shout out to Patty. So patby breaking everything down, I taught him the whole format. It was so when I first thing I did, I built a confidential form. Before you walk into my store, before you walk on the back, you have to sign a confidential form. Then I'll write a doctor member where someone was trying to get taught to Blue Ibby, but they had to sign a non disclosure form an NDA. So I had a friend. I had a girl called my sister MONI and she was like, yeah, I know how to write that. Write them up, said make me want for Nacho Bangers. So she made me an NDA form for nachal Bangers. So people had to sign a confidential form the nonage closer application. So I started getting in tact with everything, like okay, all right, just then employment, so the accountant was like, hey, you can start putting what you want to do uh ten ninety with your employees. I'm like, no, I want to pay their own taxes. So I started getting smart. Then she's like, do you want to get wt's. I'm like, yeah, that's more and smarter. I'm happy that I had an accountant with the accounting. I had a financial literacy lady that taught me everything that the account was supposed to did. So it was like I had somebody watching the accountant as well, you feel me. I had my assistant watching my money from the employees. Then I had my accountant watch my money for my assistant, and I had the financial literacy lady watching the accounting because that's why already built a relationship with the bank flow. So I had people I heard her watching all everything I go through, Like okay, so I don't get caught up. You feel me.
Speaker 3: There's really quick. Why did you need a nondisclosure?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: None closes because the sauce, the recipe. You have to be real careful n that we talk about here, you know, yeah, yeah, literally, you know you got plank things in the world. We like SpongeBob and mister Crab. You can't come get this secret form. This is a sauce. So you know, we have to start so you know, everybody, a lot of people start having that's on their resume. That's why I had to start being careful because now this is a brand, this is a business. People want it's hot. People want to just work for us for the name. So I had to catch it, like nah, it's a little strict. Now we're gonna do interviews. We want to hire you like this. This is the protocols, how you want to come in, It's how you want to operate. You know, we won't give We want to do our best with Chick fil a service have cho similarly, you know, just like that.
Speaker 2: That's the fact, all right. So in the last second, we're gonna talk about few things, but once about ghost restaurants.
Speaker 3: You got something special with that, Yeah, sure, all right.
Speaker 2: So now we're gonna talk about something that's interesting. So you all right? You what happened to the van? He got crashed up?
Speaker 5: So like a random wow, So about the van? So coffee coming like bro bro, bro, Like yeah, what's wrong? Come down? Man, I got side the van crash. I'm gonna call you right back. I said, similar little text like, man, sim of your location. I pulled up on a van. Oh child, look at that investment. Child, look at that investment. You know how he is?
Speaker 3: Man, We will get it right back. Man, we getting to it. Were the bag of boys. I'm like, you right, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 5: So me then, and I got an LLC with no insurance on the vehicle. I'm like, oh, are we good? You know we got Yeah? It bit me in my ass and the wards. So yeah, the banger bang got crashed up. From there, set me down a little bit, and I ain't sit down for a tea long. I grabbed me a smart car, so I gotta grab me some more eye candy. So that was an eye candy for the neighborhood. I'm a big deal in a smart car. Looked like shack in a smart car. So I'm driving around in a smart car with the with the this was the corridor one, so the drop top you hear me, and a smart cause I'm driving around the smart car. Nacho Baggers, y'all. So I'm yelling, Nacho ban you got something in there? Yeah, I'm pulling up on curves. I'm going crazy with the smart car serving Nacho's out the smart car, So that ain't stop us from being mobile.
Speaker 2: So all right, so then so then so this is something that's really really interesting. I actually just learned about a concept called ghost restaurants, which is actually very popular in New York City, Boston, DC, like metropolitan areas where he's trying to start a restaurant and man, and the rent might be fifteen thousand dollars a month. So it's like you don't have enough money a lot over it, but you can start a ghost restaurant. So you was actually doing this before you knew what a ghost restaurant was, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually I was doing it right out the crib before I knew what it was. Good brother Mine's al came through. He was let me know, like, man, it's a ghost restaurant. Like what he was like, this concert right here? What you're doing is a ghost restaurant, Like, man, break it down to me, show me. You know, I always gotta get the details.
Speaker 3: You love to learn, Man, I love that.
Speaker 5: I gotta understand where you get the information from. Showed me the source. So he broke the source down. L don't do too much talking. He pull it up and show you right in your face. So I'm looking it up. I'm like, wow, this one thing I said, I seen the I read it. It was it was, it was a company. It was two guys started the company.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: They running nine kitchens out of two storefronts. What yeah, I'm running back ghost restaurants. They running nine restaurants out of two storefronts.
Speaker 6: So it could be like somebody selling Chinese food, somebody's selling Italian, somebody sellinganadas, all in the same kitchen, all in the same kitchen only for one roof.
Speaker 2: And so the thing with the ghost restaurant, correct me if I'm wrong. So you're serving you make food out of like a kitchen, like only your home kitchen. Take you out only and you you get like grub Hub or Uber Uber Eat post deliver. But when you order from Uber Eats, they have like a menu you don't necessarily know what the where these places aren't you just see Thai restaurant. These are the different things that we have. So now you literally make the food in your kitchen. You have rub hub, Uber eats come.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The rest of the social media Instagram is your Facebook that people going on, you know, so your adveratising that. You know, you can set a website up advertise off of that. So one thing I did, you know, I'm already a platform on social media, So I started using Instagram. So I actually met a dude that was a chef and he do seafood real good. So I met him. You know what I do, I'm normally know how to hire. This was his profession. So I brung him around. I built the menu. I built the menu for six items against items. Again, built the menu up, and I put him to work. You know, but now I actually know confidential in da Here you go. It's another recipe. I cannot only had one employee, so he knew everything. You know, all you need is one it ain't it ain't too much walking and they take out only so the tablet is banging. He hitting every tablet pick up boom. Now you can do your time because you got but five minutes the week, ten minutes the week, door dash pick up, grub her pick up, you know, and take the food to the people and they drive.
Speaker 3: Off with it and they never have any idea that it's coming from you.
Speaker 2: And like you said, you can have seven different restaurants in one kitchen. One kitchen, Chinese, I got it, Pizzat, I got it, got.
Speaker 3: It, got it.
Speaker 5: So my main concept, you know everything, you got to be saved serving things that nature. You have to be you have to be teching, you know, licensed up and things that nature. Uh I mean. And also it's something you know, you got the pros and the cons. So the pros about it. You can do all that great things, but you have to make sure the package good. Like a restaurant, you have to package it good. It's still a restaurant, so you have to market it and ship it out right good. But the cons is that you can get bad reviews on Yelp.
Speaker 3: I hurt you.
Speaker 5: You can get yeah, so you can get bad reviews on Yelp or bad reviews on the on the grub hub. The door des because the drivers can take too long. You get it, so the drivers can take too long and mess your whole product. You can't control the drivers, can't control the drivers at all.
Speaker 2: So how do you get Like, if I wanted to start a cold restaurant out of my kitchen, how do I get on Uber? Eaves is like an application you gotta fill out.
Speaker 5: You have to fill application out. You have to have an EI in number. You know, you have to have the basics for a regular restaurant. You have to have the basics. So you have to fill out all that information. You know, they hit you back on the email. They do everything that that you're looking forward to how to open a restaurant. They send a cameraman out to take the pictures of your food.
Speaker 2: So every do they taste it, un taste it, but they make sure it's official.
Speaker 5: They make sure it's official. So what I always I do privatations. You know, any restaurant I create, I do privatass that way they can come. You know, my friends come over. They taste the food, all right, just the one. No, I don't really like this. It's it's two seasons, not a banger. So when I cook out for I'm like, all right, mate. I always say this. Sometimes people are dreams are tied to your success. So certain investments that you take, it's someone dreams tied into that.
Speaker 6: So you don't, I mean you have some like uncanny hours, right, So like yeah, so we want to talk about how much time is put into doing a lot of time is.
Speaker 5: Put into these restaurants. Man, only thing to come to a sleep is a dream. But you have to get your rest. And now I heard one thing like you rest your rest, so be careful with your time. And you definitely got to be careful with your health as well. So I definitely be tired. You know this, This restaurant industry, entrepreneurship definitely you know, put me in some sacrifices beyond my limits. I don't even see my children, you know. I got two young boys from one one years old and two years old, Shayne Kaber. So that that messed me on my my entrepreneur lifestyle. Running a restaurant, messed up my relationship with my child mother, you know, me and not having a time uh me not being there for my you know, for the family. I'm not even saying my kids because I'm running the restaurants and things of that nature. So that really hurt me too. Has been a young father. So I'm trying to get that freedom back as well, because okay, you got freedom from not working for nobody, but now you're taking your freedom from your family, like they don't even get to see So my freedom got took from like that because being an entrepreneur. So that's the cause of the restaurant industry as well, and entrepreneur industry that you don't even see your family because you work in until hours you're making doing this, so you become a slave of the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the goal too, is to ultimately scale to the point where you don't actually have to physically work because you're really trading one boss for another. In that scenario, it's like, now the boss isn't mister Johnson, but the bosses Benjamin Franklin. Your boss's money money. So the goal is to actually be financially free to a point where it's not really about always say it's not about money, it's about freedom. About freedom, that's the most important thing. Peace of mind is you can't put a price tag on peace of mind. Can't put a price bag on peace of mind. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind. So my mindset now is like, you know, all that's took care of. Communication is number one.
Speaker 5: You got to learn to communicate and let these women know that's actually taking care of these kids. Let your sons know, let your family know. Like, hey, this is what I'm doing. I'm a sacrifice right now. Oh so now I do. I'm gonna get my kids three days out the week. I make sure I get them three days out the week. Like I pause myself. I get brother and mins that know the recipe and things and know how to run a restaurant. I get an employee and know how to run it, and I step out and be a fall as well. And that's my freedom as well.
Speaker 3: It's important, man, Like I know that struggle.
Speaker 6: Man, it takes a lot of balance, like not being there to make it to a parent teacher conference or not being there to check the homeworak. And I remember when my daughter got a we we had to went to Chicago and she failed spelling to us and I was like, damn, we wasn't there to study, you know what I mean? But having systems in place, having support, it makes it a lot easier and a lot.
Speaker 5: Easy because them kids is definitely a mental break for you. As well. He definitely bring another kind of energy, you know, that's that's that's free minds, that's fresh mindsets, because that's new smiles. So your children, you're looking at him, You're like, wow, he's my broke best friends. He's my broke best friend, so.
Speaker 6: I gotta really like yeah, I mean and in the end, you're doing it for them, right, So like anytime you feel tired, this is like, you know what I can't be tell because I know what the future holds for him and I know what the future holds for her. We're just gonna make this easier for them, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's also about overcoming adversity and taking imperfect action like Max Maxwell setting. It's like, the thing I like about your story is that it's real and it's not perfect, and that's that's the beauty of it, because it's like in life, nobody's ever perfect, right, And it's like for you, like you said, you had to google what a father Like, that's real, Like that's a real it's an honest no, but it's really because you figure you google everything if you don't know, if you don't know what the answer is, you google.
Speaker 5: It because you don't want guessing. And you know, I look at the man that was in my life. It was some great ones did, but I wasn't really consistent to learn from. I really couldn't. I really couldn't relate. I can relate to him from certain things that he was doing, but I took peace by piece because I had to still survive. So I was still in a survival setting as well. Like, oh he on a restaurant, he's doing this. Oh while he on a barber shop, he on a mechanic shot. Yeah, but they had employees already. I was too young to work, so I had to get on the trap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Nippy said that man. He said, it's tough to thrive on. Yeah, And so as soon as you come out of survival mode, you're gonna learn you.
Speaker 5: Can get times to eat. You don't even eat, you know, I was. I was skinnier. That's why I say never trust a skinny chef, because when I was in that grind mold, it wasn't no eating. Had to survive. I really had to get in the churches. I really had to make it, do with it.
Speaker 1: Do.
Speaker 5: I really had to, like, you know, take it. Then I'm getting my young lady pregnant. We're both nineteen. She eighteen. It's a new born baby, right, bring a new life into the atmosphere of the world. I had to get on my grind. It wasn't no little boy, you're not little art no more. You're not you know, you becoming a man, but you're gonna grow. So I made two goals. Won to build generational wealth. I want to prepare my death for my family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's like when I said, he's like, I wrapped the billions of queens Bridge, and that line is so dope to me because it's like, I have to see queens Bridges is a project. So it's like when he said I wrapped the brilliance of Queensbridge. It's like you don't necessarily say public housing and brilliant. But I think like his line, like you're living example of his line because it's like, without knowing it, you've shown brilliance. Like as far as you had the ghost restaurant, you just doing it. You don't know that's a ghost restaurant. You start the dance moveing, or you'll know that that's market. You start the restaurant out of your house. You just cooking food, you don't know that you're actually starting a real business.
Speaker 5: And also you know I'm saving lives or employment, that's a fact. You know, I'm really saving young lives du employment. I'm giving back to the community. These kids in Survival more got to take care the little sister, got to take care of the mother. And I'm really like, wow, they actually paying rent at wage seventeen fifteen sixteen what you can't even get a workman and you're paying bills.
Speaker 2: Nah, it's a real story in something like I said, the thing were legions that we try to highlight different stories, but it's important to highlight stories like this because it's like talking about young entrepreneurs and it's like you're already succeeding with very little resources. So it's like yeah, so it's like you're gonna get to where you need to go regardless, because that's just God's plan. But it's like what if what if you grew up in a in a middle class neighborhood, you might be the CEO of PEPSI right now say, because you're already brilliant. But at the end of the day, like I said, it's all part of the plan, So you gonna get there regardless. And I like what you said as far as the family too, because it's like that happens. See, this is something that it's not just you. We look at the forest list, you see half of the CEOs is divorced. I read phild Night's book. He was like, the biggest regret is that he wasn't there for his kids. Because it's like when you running a business on small or large level entrepreneur, a lot of times you can that can consume your life. And it's something that, like I said that, on a high level, small level people people struggle with that all the time. So it's like it doesn't matter if you run a fortune five hundred company or BODEGGA balance is something that everybody has to come.
Speaker 5: And catch the little when you go out to eat by yourself and you're going to eat with a friend, catch some little side conversations that people having with the balltender. So I actually learned how to get my kids three days out the week because I learned I heard from this man he was talking to you. I was in Ruth Chris, and he was talking to the bartender. He was like, yeah, so I don't get my daughter anymore only get a two days out the week. It used to be three. Man, I'm in a I'm over here eating my food, Like that's a good idea. I don't get them at all. I'm like, you know what, I'm calling my child mother. Hey, hey, I'm gonna start getting the kids three days out the week. Okay, where that comes from?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: I learned that. You hear me, I'm coming to get them. I'm gonna start getting them, all right, what your days is, I'm gonna figure that out. I was just start coming to get him three days out the week, all right. So we just went from there and I started getting.
Speaker 2: Them on the fly. And like I said, I mean, it's it's commendable because it's like how many people could survive in that situation of not even growing up with parents and like you know, literally being on your own at six years old. Like so it's like it's like it's like you're learning life on a fly, and it's really encouraging to even see a young entrepreneur Like when we saw you in Baltimore, it's like that's dope, like that you actually came to GC.
Speaker 3: And out of my man l, Man, my man L is like come on, he said, I bought the tickets. He said, well, we're going. Don't worry, you're going.
Speaker 2: But that's one of the dope things are It's like a business who who would have thought somebody like be listening to a business podcast, like you know what I'm saying. It's like we're with the street. Like it's a really dope situation because it's something that it's like people always you present people with with a better way, and they'll they'll go that way. Nine times out of ten the person. A lot of people will go that way. Some people won't, but a lot of people will go that way. But they have to be presented with it. They have to be shown it.
Speaker 6: And how many people are giving you the option or the opportunity to have a platform to say the story?
Speaker 3: Your story was uplifting? Your energy.
Speaker 6: I mean people, I mean Baltimore know your energy, but like the world going to see your energy after this. But your energy was so infectious. It's just like yo, this kid is a star.
Speaker 5: So they star power man like that star power seriously, like my mother time it was raining, you know, they shoot a movie in Baltimore. Shout out to meat Males and chaino. So they shooting a movie in Baltimore, Chalm City Kings produced by Will Smith and others. So they shoot a movie in Baltimore. So a friend of mine's come up there. Young Moose actually met meet Miles out of Young Moose. We camp there earlier with Sonny. Then I linked with the people that you know, you got the little side, people that feed everybody and things like what y'all got up here? What y'all got to eat? What y'all serving. It's like we just got little snacks, like, you know, chips and things that nature. I'm like, now y'all feed these people chips. These stars really eating chips and carrots. That said, man, I got something man. So the deal on the they had the food truck, the food did the food thing. He had a budget for food. So by me talking to me like, look, I got this budget, bring this amount of wraps up, and I'm like, say less, say less. So I went to my storefront. I got some wraps. It was pulling down dinner store raining, So tell coffee, come on. So I'm I'm feeding everybody. You know, I got the budget already. I'm feeding everybody. Had had two bags left. I had two bags for the raps like, so I'm walking see meat, I'm like meat, you hungry? Like what you got? Sam Man? I got chicken and shrimp rap beef and shrimp wrap? He like, give me the chicken and shrimp junt. So I gave him that one and were walking off. He's like, no, come get a picture like no record because he had his little outfit on no record. So Coffee took the picture for us and things that nature. It was raining, so we got ab out of there for real. The next day, ten am, I got a DM for Chino. Chino like me needs some bangers. Meet want bangers. So after meat meals again.
Speaker 2: You know what you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah that's my guy. Yeah, I grew up with Chino as well. So Chino hit like yo, meet me bangers. Said what okay, I'll hit you what I get. I'm on my way, you feel me? So that was definitely a milestone for me, feeding that guy, you know, feeding that good brother, and that made me my respect level so much more for him. And definitely reading his document like watching his documentary on Amazon made me cry, definitely made me shed tears, Definitely made me respect him as a human being so much and just understanding from the poverty and where I come from and how I grew up and understanding like the reform situation he's doing now for the world. It really whooked me up, woked me up. And when he ate that Nacho Banga twice, man, what you couldn't tell me nothing? One bite tastes like love. Y'all all at one bike.
Speaker 2: To our second Meat Mills story on the podcast. We gotta get meet on a good brothers for sure, for sure, so not your man. It was a pleasure. Thank you. Can you tell people your social media handles how to contact.
Speaker 5: You, how to contact Google? You can google na Cho Bangers, n A C h O b A, n G E r R s everything, pop up, videos, images, everything. Also follow me on Instagram at d I n Z y k I l A Linsey Killer, not Cho Bangers, Cuffee Sauce. That's all you have to do. You're gonna find us right there on all platforms.
Speaker 2: What's your spot? What's your spot?
Speaker 5: Twenty four twenty East Monument Street, Baltimore and Maryland. Make sure y'all stop there. If you're in Bostimole. What you're there for, what you're coming for? What connections you make make sure you come to the banger spot where one bite tastes like love.
Speaker 3: They're coming, they coming.
Speaker 2: Never trust a skinny.
Speaker 3: Chef, never ever, ever, ever, ever trust a skinny chef.
Speaker 2: Y'all are troy some housekeeping it on.
Speaker 5: And look, let me tell you all this though some of them goes restaurants and grew up habing door. Desh it be me.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Cho. No, we got a new name. Here we be Notcho.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here we be Nacho. So when I came up, that's the ar your ego name of me. I'm watching the Huie P. Newton story and I was like, Wow, this man was legend. So I'm like, my name is Hue. Now Here we be Nacho. So is Hue bang a Nacho man?
Speaker 6: Shout out to who Hui be Notcho man, And shout out to everybody on Patreon dot com. Y'all know that's our product to pay program. We have over one hundred and twenty people on there, so shout out to everybody that has joined. We got some new members Maurice, Hell's Fit and Everette, So shout out to y'all for joining. And you know, if you're on tier five, you have access to earn your lisa University that is our online school.
Speaker 2: If you're not in tune with Eyo University, get in tune with.
Speaker 5: It shot then s up on man, get on locked on here now cast in the universe, earn your legions.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the book tip of this week. We got two books. The first book is Extreme Ownership by Jack O will Nick and the second book.
Speaker 5: Is How to Get Rich How to Get Rich Real Quick Dummy by a meanie Isaiah. She's from Baltimore, Maryland as well. Make sure I check out shout out to Baltimore man. You know we got bottomore.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of times and be more for sure. So all right, guys, thank you for rocking with us. We'll see you next week. Piece.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need