Speaker 1: Taking a Walk.
Speaker 2: When I was twelve years old, one of my best friends was coming to visit me for my birthday, and she and her boyfriend were her like, not her boyfriend but because we were like twelve, but like, you know, her little boyfriend friend. They were hit by a train and killed, and I remember her sister called me and was like, Melissa, can't come to your birthday. She died in a train accident, and it was so traumatizing, like for me, and I immediately went to the piano and just played Chopin for like five days straight.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Taken a Walk Podcast, where Buzz Night speaks with musicians of all types that are making their mark. Buzz is thrilled to be joined by a true musical trailblazer, Chloe Flower. Chloe is a world renowned pianist, composer, and producer who's redefining what it means to be a classical musician in the modern era. Known for her electrifying performances and her signature popsicles sound a seamless blend of classical and pop, Chloe's captivated audiences everywhere from the Grammy stage to viral social media clips. Chloe is here to discuss your brand new album I Love Me More, and we welcome her right now to the Taking a Walk Podcast with buzz Night.
Speaker 4: Hi Chloe, thanks for being on Taking a Walk.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It's so special.
Speaker 4: So since we call this podcast taking a Walk, I have to ask you if you could take a walk with someone living or dead. They don't have to be involved in the world of music, but they could be. But it could be someone also important to you in different ways. Who would you like to take a walk with and where would you take that walk?
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because some of my best ideas and my best thinking happens when I walk. And so I recently sprained both of my ankles. Oh yeah, it's been a struggle for me and I really didn't know how much I missed taking those walks. So this is a great question for me. I think if I could walk with anybody, it would be Rock mon and Off. And the reason I say that, like it's really hard for me. I would always I would choose a musician, but it's like between mozart Sister and rock monon Off, like I can't decide. Basically, I would ask Mozart's sister, like, tell me everything, what did you write, what did you really write? What did you not get credit for? But you know, Rock Mononoff, really his story really interests me. You know, he almost didn't write the Second Piano Concerto, which is like one of the most the love pieces in the world in the classical space. And actually the love for that piece extends so far beyond you hear it in All by Myself, and you hear that theme in so many pop songs in that I even took that little theme and recreated it for my first album. But he almost didn't write that piece because he went through like a severe depression after his first symphony he wrote. I think it was in the late eighteen hundreds. He wrote a symphony in D minor and it was a disaster, like everybody hated it, and he went into a severe depression and almost never composed again. But he saw therapy. He went to this doctor, I think it was doctor dol And I want to know what they talked about, because they don't ever tell you what was said. You just have these letters written by him that you know he was so depressed and he never was going to compose again. And then oh, I sought help, went to a hypnotist, which I think we call a therapist today, and now you know, I feel re energized and reinspired, and he wrote the most beautiful piece in the world. And so I think for me, as an artist, I would love to know how he coped with that, because as an artist, especially in the classical space, we're so subject to criticism and I would just like to know how he dealt with that on such a large scale. And I feel like that would take up the whole walk.
Speaker 4: And I believe I've only spent a couple of minutes with you. I believe you would uncover the secret in the story.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't take you very very.
Speaker 2: Long, I hope. Well maybe one day in another world, an there you go.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's right. So what's the earliest memory for you of playing music? I mean, I know you started at an incredibly young age, but beyond the age of three, which is I believe when you started. Do you have an earlier memory than that in terms of you playing.
Speaker 2: I started at two and my mother said that she actually corrected I did during the pandemic. I did this zoom performance and she joined because it was my sister's company and I was speaking and this was kind of when people didn't understand zoom as well as they do now it's like new. And she interrupted my talk cause I was talking about my first childhood, my first performance ever at three years but I thought I was six at a nursing home and my mother was like, no, you were three. Like she didn't mute herself, she just started talking, and so it was funny, but it was news, right, So I was like, oh, I thought I was six, but I was three actually, And I do remember being in this nursing home in my hometown and sitting on a telephone book because we had telephone books back then, and a little pillow and playing. I remember looking at at the audience and seeing everybody was asleep and nobody was really listening to me play. But I remember afterwards like they clapped and I was such a baby. But I remember feeling like, oh, this music is and this music is healing. I remember thinking like, I don't sorry, my dog is here. I remember thinking like I don't I kind of at a very early age, them even having me there made me understand and appreciate the power of music therapy and live performance for people and how special that was, even though I was three and I probably didn't play very well. But yeah, so that's kind of an early I mean even earlier than that, the very first memory I have. I remember stickers on the piano, but oh, she hears her.
Speaker 4: We welcome We welcome dogs to the Taking a Walk podcast.
Speaker 1: What is your dog's name?
Speaker 2: This is Wolfy her her her full name is Wolfguardea Dang, but Wolfguard the female version.
Speaker 1: What kind of dog is Wolfy?
Speaker 2: She's a she's a Chihuahua. She's a rescue. She's my ninth foster that kind of turned into I kept her. But she's such a good girl, and oh she's beautiful. She's beautiful. So I got her at a very young age, so she has no trauma, unlike a lot of my other fosters, so I really I'm grateful. But she just saw her boyfriend, so she's freaking out.
Speaker 1: You can tell, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to get into your masterpiece new release. I Love me More, which is just incredible. But I do want to talk a little bit more about you and your career. I have a question for you, though, from a fellow musician who admires you.
Speaker 1: His name is Black Bok.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love Black Bok.
Speaker 1: He's a New Yorker, he is, he's a big fan. And so here's his question.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: He said, classical music is known for its structure and tradition. So what inspired you, as a trained pianist to take a different creative path instead of following the traditional concert pianist root and how has that sort of shaped your art as a whole.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a really great question. I think you know, when you've spent your whole life studying classical music, it's very rigorous, the discipline, the training, the sacrifice that you make to be a classical musician as a profession. It is a lot of structure, not just within the music, but within the career space. And for me, I loved the structure of classical music. You know, I love I love classical music, but I also grew up loving pop music, and I always compartmentalize those two genres like this is my pop life and this is you know, when I'm listening, when I'm listening in my room, I can listen to this when I'm not practicing. And often when I was practicing, I would practice two hours at a time and then I would take a fifteen minute break and then practice another hour or two hours, And during those fifteen minutes, I spent the entire time listening to pop music, like you know, like top forty music. What was available to me, you know, And we didn't have like Spotify and things like that. We had YouTube, but we didn't have like streaming services like Amazon Music and Apple Music. And I think like having done that like every day for my whole life, it just naturally gave me this sensitivity and feeling for pop music as well, not just not just not just the aesthetic, but like the structure, Like pop structure is very different, but it still has a structure. And so I think for me, it was all about not being stuck in this box. Like I loved music from the Beatles, I loved music from you know, pop artists, and I just always thought that I was going to be a classical musician and I couldn't do both. And so as I got older, I was like, well, why can't I do both? And I think part of the beautiful thing about music is being able to not live in a box. I think that's the glory of music, is to experiment. And it was hard for me, because you know, it was looked down upon. I was kicked out of a chamber group. I did a hip hop concert in New York, and I remember my chamber group was like, that's selling out. We don't want you in our group anymore. And so that, you know, I struggled with a lot of that, but that actually fired me up because I was like, that is not fair, and I don't think it's the right approach. I think if you really love music, you can love all styles of music. So for me, it was more it was almost like a bellion breaking out of that classical structure and doing experimenting and doing doing things that I hadn't heard before. And with that comes confusion, but also it's very exciting, and so I think I kind of fed off of that excitement.
Speaker 4: And you created a new path called popsicle.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If I try to explain to you what popsicle is, it would be so long and hard. So it just found that word popsicle to be very like easy pop.
Speaker 1: But I think you just did.
Speaker 4: You just did explain it without me even asking you did. You did just explain it. There is a furthermore, by the way, I can't forget that black Bawk said, he said, and and furthermore, when can we collaborate?
Speaker 2: That was his other Furthermore, as I love what he does. He does great tiktoks, he does really cool things. He's such a swag. I love him. He's so he did a show over at Joe's Pub that sadly I missed, But I can't wait to collaborate. I love collaborating. You know, as a pianist, he would understand how solitary it can be. We don't have an orchestra that we go to. You know, I serve on the board of the Manhattan School of Music and I just came literally just walked in the door from that meeting, and there we were talking about Aspen Summer Music Festival, and I was laughing that like, as a pianist, I was much less busier than the violinists because I was always alone practicing in my practice room as opposed to doing different, you know, orchestral sessions and stuff. So it's always nice to collaborate.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of collaborating, your performance with Cardi b was a pretty amazing moment there at the Grammys.
Speaker 1: How did that come about?
Speaker 4: And as you reflect on it now, how did that really impact your career?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that obviously, you know, happened to twenty nineteen, and you know people are still talking about that and wanting to talk about that, So I know how much of an impact culturally and musically that performance had. But had I not stepped outside of that structure, and had I not gone to another level musically experimentally, I wouldn't have had that opportunity. I was actually on social media just playing around with pop songs and just playing over top of them. That particular performance. Her team had seen me perform Humble by Kendrick Lamar over his playing some piano over his song, and when they heard that, that's when they reached out to me. They just called me. They got my number from my friend who's also a publicist, Lauren Chardini, and they reached out to her through They reached out to me through her, and yeah, and they were like, we saw this Humble cover and we want you to come play with Cardi and it's amazing. I think had I not really openly stepped out of the box on socials and shown people and social media is great because it gives you that platform to experiment and I wouldn't have had that, and I probably wouldn't be talking to you today. Maybe maybe I would be, but you know, maybe not.
Speaker 4: There's always a reason, right that things happen, for sure. Yeah, so let's talk about this fantastic project. You must be so excited about it. The world is excited about I love me More. There's so many elements that I want to talk about. First of all, how when you're embarking on such a project like that do you first consider the specific songs and then how do you then like work through who the collaborators are going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, for a pianist, picking the music is probably the hardest part, I think. I think there's so much amazing repersoire it's really hard to narrow it down to like fourteen to eighteen songs. Like if I could, I would record a thousand song album probably, But what I have to do is first pick songs that I love because it's going to be a lot of time orchestrating and arranging and writing around these themes. But also they have to work on piano. So when you transcribe something that was original like Flowers for instance, Flowers was written for a vocal and when I was arranging it for solo piano. I wasn't sure if it was going to work because without you know, piano doesn't have the ability to do like portamento or any kind of slides or vibrato like a string instrument. So first I have to figure out while choosing songs if it's gonna work sonically, and then you know, it's a matter of just narrowing. It's always like fifty sixty songs I start with and then narrowing them down to tell a story. I think instrumental music is so amazing because there are no words, so you can really craft a story and you can really be creative when when picking repertoire. Yeah, and I always I always want to I for this album in particular and my last Christmas album, I wanted to include different genres. So we have you know, modern pop songs, we have rama, which was you know, from the seventeen hundreds, and then we have original music. So all of that was really important to me to include all of the genres that matter to me. But the song was the album was actually supposed to be a Valentine's Day album, and as I was going through the songs, I realized I was like thinking about Oh, I was like, oh, I listened to this song when I was going through a breakup, or oh, I would listen to this song, you know, when I was feeling really down. And then I thought, what would be so much cooler and just more impactful for me is to make the album about loving yourself self love, because you really can't love somebody until you love yourself right, and the most important love you have is the love you have with yourself. So I chose songs that were empowering, but also songs that I listened to when I was feeling down, and then a couple songs I wrote when I was feeling really down. So that was how I created the track list for this particular album.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with more of the Taken a Walk podcast. Welcome back to the Taking a Walk Podcast.
Speaker 4: The folks that you end up collaborating with, is that sort of a bit of a trial and error as well, that you're going to bring them on board with the project or does that just happen organically?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I think for features, I was very intentional about my features. The features on my album. They are such pros of pro so we have Babyface, we have Jojo, we have Nicol Schers and request Love. They all brought something very specific to the song that they worked on with me and performed with me. And as I was choosing songs and writing the arrangements, I didn't necessarily think I was going to be able to have features because these are huge names. There's huge stars like I don't know if they have time to come record with me. So it had to work both without the vocal and with as I was writing the arrangement. But then, you know, when I when I was listening, I would think who would be good for this song and who would be you know, Babyface, And yesterday was like perfect, you know perfect?
Speaker 4: And I know that you have a history with with him obviously, right he he he helped start things for you, didn't he absolutely?
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, having that history with him allowed me to really understand his vocals, his range, how he what kind of songs mean me mean something to him, how his how he sings. And I was like, oh gosh, if he did yesterday like with that falsetto, you know, it will be so angelic and and my version is much slower than the original. And Jojo, you know. I was actually with her at the opening of Sunset Boulevard. We were there to see Nicole Scherzinger for her opening night and we were talking during intermission and I was like, you know, I'm doing the very thought of you and you could kill that. I was like, you could kill it. Even though it's an f I'm so sorry, it's two whole steps above your vocal range, but I still feel like you can kill this song. And so basically I had recorded the whole album as is, without any vocal features, without any without any confirmation that these features were going to happen. Except Babyface. Babyface I knew was going to happen. He came to London with me. But the rest I really had to be very intentional about asking and sending the piece and making sure that I felt authentically that it was a perfect match.
Speaker 4: I mean, yesterday is just the beauty of it just you know, brings you to tears and it's just it's just marvelous. How about being in Abbey Roads Studios and working there, What did that mean to you?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it was just such a dream come true. I'm a huge Beatles fan. I think the Beatles are like the You know, not only are they one of the best groups in the world, a lot of their music has been inspired by classical music, and I think that is so beautiful, Like Hey Jude, is the same theme as a Bach harpsichord concerto, the Arioso, I think it's called. And I really respect musicians who appreciate classical music and incorporate that into their music, because when you're that big of a star, you're bringing classical music to so many other people. So Yesterday is actually also a little bit of its theme is based off of a piano sonata of brockmaninoff very obscure one that people don't really know. But still it's very very beautiful. And yeah, so I was a huge fan, like from the from the Womb, and Yesterday was on my bucket list to write and arrange because my mother and I listened to that song all the time when I was little. She actually used to have this VHS tape of a TV shown Korea called Yesterday shipped to us by her friend, and it played the theme song like all the whole way through the every episode, like in Korea, like Korean soap operas are like forty episodes per season, like maybe fifties, you have to hear it. I like listened to a lot of yesterday and it like, it was so cool to see this song in a Korean drama coming here on like you know, on a VHS tape and me listening it to with my mother, who is you know, an immigrant. It was this connection. So for me to record it at Abbey Road with the Royal Philharmonic in a place where Ringo star, in the same room where Ringo star did all his drums was just like it was just such an incredible experience. I feel so grateful.
Speaker 4: Do you ever just stop and think and go, okay, going from mechanics Burg, Pennsylvania to Abbey Roads Studios, How did this happen?
Speaker 2: You know? I think maybe my Like you know, I always joke that my superpower isn't my talent, but it's luck, right, I think, And I'm very aware of the opportunity I've been given and the luck that I've been given by the universe or God or whoever you want to call it. If I had not had access, I had parents who really supported the arts and made it a very conscious effort to give me Violin lessons and piano lessons and cello. I played cello for ten years as well, and I understand how lucky I am to have that, but luck to you know, my piano teacher always said uck is when preparation meets opportunity. So I think being lucky and then also working hard and just never you know, never having a dream too small. You know, it was a crazy dream. Are there lots of mechanics and mechanics Burg. Everyone in New York would ask me that, And you know, going from mechanics Burg to New York and then and then going to London. I mean, it's just such a it's such a wh when I look back, I almost can't believe it, like I never expected it. But also I had big dreams and I didn't want to stay in the Mechanicsburg. I wanted to expose people to classical music. I wanted to have a career in music, and I told myself, like, I'm going to be open minded whatever it takes to have a career in classical music. I'm going to make sure that I work hard for that and seize every opportunity. So that was kind of my focus. But yeah, I could have never I didn't even think I was gonna be at Abbey Road like three years ago. Three years ago, I was like, like, couldn't have imagined me going to abby Road and recording with the Royal Philharmonic. It was amazing.
Speaker 4: So is it the sense of incredible gratitude that you have that ultimately influences you and led you to being such an advocate for you know the issue of human trafficking being recognized and also you know music.
Speaker 1: Education as well.
Speaker 4: Is it that at its core that has driven you to have this purpose?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think that is the core. You nailed it. When I got involved in anti human trafficking, it was two thousand and six. I was in Cambodia kind of on a vacation, and I considered myself well traveled. I considered myself, you know, reasonably intelligent. I watched the news and I knew nothing about human trafficking. I had no idea. Back then, it was only a one point five billion dollar industry. Now it's like four hundred and fifty billion dollar year industry. But I had no idea, and I thought that was just horrible. And what I realized was that access to music education, like human trafficking, is largely based on geography, and justice can never be based on geography. And if I had been born in cm Reape who I probably wouldn't be performing with Cardi B at the Grammys. I probably wouldn't have the same opportunity and education to music. But also I would be much more vulnerable to human trafficking. Right, So, I think having been given so much opportunity, having understanding how lucky I am has definitely made me feel like I had. My purpose is to advocate for music education so that everybody has access, because I really do believe that music education is a tool of prevention against human trafficking because when you look at human trafficking as a whole, what are the root causes of human trafficking Poverty, lack of identity, lack of self worth and self esteem, lack of community. And then when you look at what music education programs can do for a community, they provide self worth, identity, connection to your community, and they kind of overcome material poverty in a way because all of a sudden you have this worth is self worth. And so I made that discovery back in twenty ten, and when I was writing a speech at the un it just occurred to me at this like light bulb moment when I was like, how am I going to talk about music education and human trafficking in one speech? And so then that really was I was able to really hone in on this music education and show people like, really, this is very important. Even though it's not a tangible thing that you can touch, the benefits of having a music program in a school and a community are one of them powerful tools we have to create a better society. So that became my purpose, and I think the only way for me to enjoy life and live a long, happy life is to have purpose. Though that was important to me, and.
Speaker 4: But I also bringing you know, back to the beginning, bringing classical music more upfront to people, and you know, intertwining it brilliantly with pop music and all other genres, making it more accessible to people.
Speaker 2: The goal is to show people who don't necessarily have access that this art form is valuable and it's relevant and all of us can benefit from it. It's like push ups for your brain, you know. I say to adults all the time who are telling me, oh I wish I never quit piano, or oh I wish I learned piano I'm like, it's not really like too late at all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, would you tell an athlete like, oh I wish you know, I don't exercise because I'm not going to become a professional athlete. It's a why exercise, right, It's the same thing. It's like, it's exercise for your brain, it's exercise for your soul. It's something that I think we should all be participating in at least once a week.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Enclosing, I think I know the answer to this question because you touched on this earlier, but I do have to ask you. I produce this other podcast and it's called Music Save Me, and it's about the healing power of music on so many different levels. So do you believe, Chloe that music has healing power?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean if you're feeling really down and you listen to your favorite song ever, like, you're not going to feel worse after, right, You're probably going to feel better. If you know, you might even have goosebumps, you might even feel happier. And that's why they do all these studies about listening to music while you exercise can be motivating. So definitely, I think I think music has this amazing ability to to heal, whether you're playing or just listening. And I when I was I don't think anybody knows this story. In fact, you're probably going to be the first person to hear the story. But when I was twelve years old, one of my best friends was coming to visit me for my birthday and she and her boyfriend were her like not her boyfriend, but like because we were like twelve, but like, you know, her little boyfriend friend. They were hit by a train and killed. And I remember her sister called me and was like, Melissa, can't come to your birthday. She died in a train accident. And it was so traumatizing, like for me, and I immediately went to the piano and just played chopin for like five days straight, very emotional chopin pieces right, and that really got me through like a very traumatic experience instead of like doing something negative, you know, I put all of that emotion into music. And I always wished that other people could have that opportunity to be able to channel their emotions, whether they're good or bad, into music. And that's why I think music therapy is so important, especially especially in healing and in hospitals, in therapy centers and just in your home. So yes, sorry that was a long answer.
Speaker 1: No, sorry whatsoever. Chloe.
Speaker 4: I feel like, even though you've been at it for decades, that you're just beginning. I know this, This this incredible adventure, and I'm so grateful that you took the time to be on Taking a Walk. Congratulations on the new album I Love Me More and.
Speaker 1: It's it's sensational. Your work is amazing.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to continue to see your your star rise even more. And I hope someday you'll come back and say hi and we can we can catch.
Speaker 2: Up wise and hopefully in person next time.
Speaker 1: That would be That would be wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much for having me, and thank you for all of the work that you do on your podcast and the other one. It's really amazing. So thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Me, Chloe Flower. Thanks for being on Taking a Walk.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this episode of the Taking a Walk podcast. Share this and other episodes with your friends and follow us so you never miss an episode. Taking a Walk is available on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, and wherever you get your podcasts.