Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour on a Monday, Best and Worst of the weekend. More of your phone calls. Paulie's not here today, Dylan from the back room came out sitting in his seat. Fritzy's here, So Seaton, Marvin yours truly more of your phone calls each seven to seven to three DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country. A couple of headlines here. Matthew Stafford is seeing a back specialist again, hasn't practiced yet, Micah Parsons making the trade request, and Jerry Jones says, don't lose sleep over pull question, Seaton, what are we going to go with in hour three? And then we'll talk to Brent Musburger, the Hall of Famer We got.
Speaker 3: Up there right now?
Speaker 4: Are the Dallas Cowboys a good team to play for?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Or no?
Speaker 3: Are your handsome right now?
Speaker 7: Eighty six percent say you want against Yes, that would be new. Oh they're only get They're getting fourteen percent of the vote right now saying that yes, it is a good place to play. Well, what other that's a big number. Yes, that's a big I thought it would be way closer than that. Yeah, especially like I don't know, given our audience, I thought there would be a little more respect for the team that way. But do you think that that's just recency bias or do you think that's how far the Cowboys have fallen in terms of reputation.
Speaker 2: Well, the number of people who hate the Cowboys probably voted as well, and they're not a very good team. I guess if you factor all that in, I still think that address means something. And I look at it differently. You're just you're more famous. I mean, Michael Parsons has a podcast because he's on the Cowboys. No, it's like Draymond Green. Nobody would care if he played in Atlanta, but he's with Golden State and he has a pod.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: It just feels like there's certain addresses that mean a little bit more, Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 9: Well, also, I mean, based on our caller earlier too, a lot of those votes against playing there might be from Cowboys fans themselves too. They don't exactly seem like thrilled on that jointuphenomen.
Speaker 2: Over under is eight and a half wins for the Cowboys this year, Let's bring in the freshly minted Hall of Famer winner of Pro Football Hall of Fame Pete Rosel Radio TV Award. He's Brent Musburger. Do you feel any different after this weekend?
Speaker 6: You know, it was such an honor, Dan, and I owe you so.
Speaker 10: Much appreciation because I wasn't even thinking about it until you and Jim Nantz brought it up and then Dick for Meal kind of carried the ball from there, and so I owe so much to everybody. It was a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 10: I have to say that I was shocked when Jane Kennedy was brought in to introduce me, okay at the banquet that night, completely unexpected.
Speaker 6: And of course De along with Phyllis George worked on.
Speaker 10: The NFL today at IRV Cross and Jimmy the Great James got a.
Speaker 6: Book out called Playing Jane, and she's a great story.
Speaker 10: I recommend that for it. But then I want to compliment the city of Canton, Ohio. You know, this is their biggest weekend. People were so nice in the committee and oh, by the way, I had at least two people mentioned Dan Patrick needs to bring his show into Canton for the Hall of Fame. Okay, they came right to me and I said, listen, I'll mention this Dan, because there we had over a hundred Hall of Famers show up. So yes, I so appreciate the honor, and so does the family. But I was a kid in a candy store when they started introducing all these guys that I had covered. Dan Fouts did a fantastic job. They bring him out to a stage and then they said, a couple of rows on either side, and they bring out the new Hall of Famers. And you know, the four guys who were inducted this year had such great stories when they came out.
Speaker 6: I'll start with Sterling Sharp.
Speaker 10: He was the only one of the four, by the way, who was a first round draft choice, so okay by the Green Bay Packers. And then it was so heartwarming when he and Shannon hugged each other up on the stage. Shannon presented him with the gold jacket, first first brothers to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I couldn't resist.
Speaker 6: I got over to Sterling.
Speaker 10: I whispered in his ear, Eli Manning will never forgive you, you.
Speaker 3: Know, maybet Eli to the punch there going into the all bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I don't know why it took so long, And maybe you're not the right person to ask this, but you're in.
Speaker 3: You're a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: And then I'm very happy, you know, in a lot this just like with John Facenda, he was the voice of the NFL, and I just said, don't forget about who helped us get here to a multi multi billion dollar organization company. And I'm glad you got to experience that. You know, I wish that IRV Cross had been around. Uh, you know Jimmy de Gree, you know, people that you were with when you did the first pregame show, any idea if that was how successful that was going to be when you started.
Speaker 10: Well, I liked the idea that we were going live. Remember now, the pregame show on CBS prior to the NFL Today had been called Countdown to Kickoff, Pat summer All and Jack Whittaker. They taped it on Friday night, Friday Night, okay, and it was Bob Wessler's idea.
Speaker 6: Let's do this live.
Speaker 10: And then the halftimes of the and the postgame there was I felt sort of an immediate impact especially when Mike Wallace strolled in about week number four and you are doing great? Yeah, because I always said, have hing up next is sixty minutes. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite moment though or story that if you know all the years, well, you know, let me.
Speaker 10: Go to the night that Jimmy the Greek and I had a little fist cups in a New York saloon.
Speaker 6: Okay, let me tell everybody.
Speaker 10: Jimmy objected to the fact that he thought I cut him short. Everybody's got to remember we only had about twenty eight minutes of airtime, so I had to.
Speaker 6: Dish it out to everybody. Okay.
Speaker 10: So I was living in Los Angeles at the time I saw. I was working with Connie Chum in the news in LA and then I'd flyed for the NFL today. So I got a call the morning after I returned to LA. We got fire of the Greek.
Speaker 6: We're going to get rid of him. I said, hey, hold on, let me get back to you a little bit. And I I talked to my wife, Arlene.
Speaker 10: I said, you know, Orlean, I don't want the Greeks blood on my hands because we had an incident.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're very I like brothers.
Speaker 10: So I thought about call him back, and I said, please, don't fire the Greek.
Speaker 6: We'll find a way. Okay.
Speaker 10: So we knew Bob Aram the boxing guy, really well, and he got us a bell and a couple pair of boxing gloves, and we opened up the.
Speaker 6: Next week and made the light of it and life.
Speaker 10: Went on from there. You know, it's it's the people, Dan. I just loved working with the people that we had. Phyllis left us for a while because she thought she was going to become an Oscar winning movie star, and Jane Kennedy was brought in after that, and it was such a delight.
Speaker 6: Jane was loved by the.
Speaker 10: Players when she would grow up with the interviews and then and then Phyllis came back.
Speaker 6: A little bit later.
Speaker 10: Things didn't quite work out in Hollywood, But it was the people that I dealt with.
Speaker 6: That I loved.
Speaker 2: Who got the better of the fight? Well, the Greek hit me in the side. You know, it wasn't a very tough blow. My brother might have got the best of it.
Speaker 10: But the smartest guy in the bar was the bartender, and he turned the lights off.
Speaker 6: Okay, and so nobody could see anybody. Okay, so kind of.
Speaker 10: Calmed down, okay now, But what happened was I was at the table when the Greek came in, but sitting at the bar was a guy who worked on the city desk of the New York Post.
Speaker 6: He ran back and of course by a bang.
Speaker 10: You know, there's the picture of the Greek and fills, you know, off, off we go. If he hadn't been in there having a coal one okay, between shifts, I don't think anybody would have known about it, to tell you the truth, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was on in an instant, over in an instant.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy for you. I'm proud of you. You helped put it in my head that I could do this or they had jobs like this when I was growing up. But happy in any role that we possibly played. But that was more of just to remind people the greatness of Brent Musburger. So thank you. I hope it was everything that you hope for this weekend.
Speaker 6: It was, and Dann, thanks to you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's the Hall of Famer Brent Musburger, twenty twenty five Pro Football Hall of Fame INDUCTEAM and I was thinking about this weekend and once again Rent did all the work. Sometimes you have to remind people of those who came before us. Kurt Flood is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Kurt Flood is the reason why you have the salaries that we have. He challenged Major League Baseball. It cost him, but he was willing to sit out because he didn't think that he should be treated like a piece of property. And Kurt Flood was one of the great defensive outfielders played for a World Series champion.
Speaker 3: He was a very good player.
Speaker 2: But I started to think about the contributions to the game, and I love that aspect with Hall of Fames, just like John Fasenda and Brent Musburger and so many different people in certain halls of Fame that they contributed to the growth of the game. Kurt Flood is one of the most Oh boy, I don't even know if there's word or words courageous to take on Major League Baseball and say no, you don't own my rights after I'm done with your team or done playing. It just felt like he said, I'm not a piece of meat here. But when you think about the importance, why isn't he in the Baseball Hall of Fame as a contributor. Like Buck O'Neil played in the negro leagues. And Buck lived long enough to be able to tell everybody about these great players who played in the negro leagues so they could get into the Hall of Fame. And I said to somebody with the Baseball Hall of Fame, I said, Buck O'Neil is a Hall of Famer. He was a very good player. But contributions to the game. Buck O'Neil was the one who was there with eulogies, your career eulogy. He was telling everybody about these players so they could get into the Hall of Fame. Those who didn't get to see those in the negro leagues. I said, that's contributions to the game. Kurt Flood deserves to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's in the Cardinals Hall of Fame, I believe. But Kurt Flood, he wasn't afraid. He took on the system. Yeah, Marvin, So was.
Speaker 8: Kurt Flood on the same level as Sonny Vicaro?
Speaker 2: To you, uh, no different. Sonny vccaro should be in the basketball Hall of Fame. But Kurt Flood, what he did that was for all of the players to be treated differently. Sonny just found a loophole and said, hey, I can sell shoes and make money for the coaches, make money, you know, for the players. You know, that was business. But he contributed to the game and signing Michael Jordan and signing Kobe Bryant and almost signed Lebron Jay. You know, he was involved in the movers and shakers, but different. But contributions to the Kurt Flood truly contributed to the game. I mean, you would not show, Hey, Otani may not have any idea who Kurt Flood is, but he should and I would hope maybe Baseball can rectify that and put him into the Baseball Hall of Fame. And I've gotten on this kick as I get older, and really my time of doing this job is diminishing. But Barry Melrose in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Don Cherry in the in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Sonny Vaccaro in the Basketball Hall of Fame, mel Kiper in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Kurt Flood in the Baseball Hall of Fame. To me, these are no brainers. And I don't envy those who vote on the Hall of Fame. I just want to remind you and any of you voters that ever want to talk about why I think this way, or if I can add any kind of backdrop, I'll be more than happy to do it. And I don't have any other interest in it than telling the correct story and doing the right things for these people. But Kurt Flood should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame as a contributor. Maybe you don't put him in there as a player. I understand that, but contributions to the game. And if you're not familiar with Kurt Flood, please google him and understand what he did and at the end of his career, sacrificed his career so players could become free agents. And I remember Andy Messersmith, he was the first free agent in baseball history. Now we take it for granted. Now it's normal, but it wasn't then major League Baseball. He was Booie Kune was the commissioner. It was Booie Kune the Kurt Flood, and Kurt Flood eventually won. All right, we'll take a break. We'll get phone calls coming out. Uh Sterling Sharp Pro Football Hall of Famer. He will join us coming up next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to.
Speaker 3: Seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 9: But here's the thing.
Speaker 11: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 12: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber lit jam and me.
Speaker 11: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 12: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also going to talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 11: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out Over Promised. And also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 12: There you go over Promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Covino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: There was a moment over the weekend.
Speaker 2: It's called the Gold Jacket Dinner, and Brent Musberger spoke there. Mary kay Cabot, the Cleveland Browns beat reporter, she was honored there as well. And Mary Kay Cabot, who has been around long enough to have covered the Cleveland Browns when Bill Belichick was there, took a shot at Bill Belichick over the weekend.
Speaker 13: Bill Belichick was the first Browns coach I ever covered. You see, if you start out with Bill Belichick, no one can rattle you after that. If Bill didn't like something I wrote, he'd call and yell at me. If you asked a dumb question, he'd call you out. Eventually, I had to learn to stand up to him. During one of those yelling matches, I told him, if you don't have the footballs to say that to the guys, then don't say it to me, bam. But now I totally understand why Bill gave me such a hard time. I was twenty eight at the time, and he just couldn't relate to a woman that old.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bill Belichick's girlfriend said that, But basically it wasn't funny.
Speaker 3: It was funny. I think that's very funny.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's kind of disappeared here a little bit. She kind of maybe back in the shadows there.
Speaker 4: Can't we just stopped tearing each other down and support each other.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good thing that she's maybe just slightly removed from the spotlight.
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan, do you.
Speaker 9: Think there's a conversation like, honey, we need to talk about you being in the media all the time.
Speaker 6: I don't have no idea.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time relating to my twenty seven year old daughter. So like, if you said I was dating somebody the age of my daughter, that'd be creepy.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Yeah, I think that that's therein lies of the issue.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of hard. It's kind of hard to relate to a twenty seven year old daughter.
Speaker 14: Yes, Ton, And does he tell her directly to step back a little. Does he put it in a little suggestion box? You leave a little note under the pillow?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it works there, And good luck to them. I love love, and if their love, whatever it is, you love all of I just love love.
Speaker 8: What is love?
Speaker 2: What's love got to do with it? It's just secondhand emotion. Tatum in Texas, Good morning, Tatum, Good.
Speaker 15: Morning, four six seventy one pounds. Tydan, second time caller. I have a best and worst of the weekend, and the question best of the weekend my baseball team started to practice again for our fall season. Worst of the weekend?
Speaker 16: My favorite team, the Astros, didn't have a good weekend against the Red Sox. Speaking of that, what are you and the danet favorite sports teams?
Speaker 2: M all right, well, Tatum, thank you for calling. Fritzy loves the Astros, although they're not your modern day Astros, they are back in the eighties. He also likes the Denver Broncos. Seaton likes the Patriots. Marvin is a San Francisco forty nine Ers fan.
Speaker 9: Dylan Baltimore Ravens Dan.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, yeah, that is right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Where this hat? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ravens fan.
Speaker 2: Get that Paulie loves the anybody in Chicago, Paulie loves Cubs, Bears. Maybe the White sucks too, But I don't have a favorite teo. I gave that up a long time ago, probably around nineteen ninety after the Reds won the World Series. Then I was like, I'm done. I cannot root while I'm on Sports Center. That to me, is not the approach you should have. We should be unbiased when we're on Sports Center, and not to get preachy. Because I worked with a lot of people who love to tell you who their favorite T teams were. I just never wanted to say, hey, I'm a Cincinnati fan, let me say something about Pittsburgh, and then you're gonna go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's a Bengals fan. I just didn't want that. Yes, Marvin, you.
Speaker 8: Know a DP as the young kids saying, I'm gonna call Cap because Cap big Cap. You talk about the Sacramento Kings a whole lot, and what team did they used to be?
Speaker 3: Cincinnati Royals?
Speaker 2: Bloopoo oh god, wow, that is that's going a long way to connect dots. I just I watched the Sacramento Kings because nobody else does that's what I want?
Speaker 8: No watch the Royals either.
Speaker 2: No, they did not, but I got to go and watch. I got to go watch them in person. Yes, yes, Dylan, just.
Speaker 9: Admit you're a Cincinnati homer. Dan, I've known all these years.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 9: What do you what's your take? You mentioned it briefly with Paul. Your take on can you be a fan of two teams in the same city, same sports? Like can you be a White Sox and Cubs fan or like a Yankee and Mets fan?
Speaker 6: No? Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't be. I guess you can be, but you shouldn't be. Bob and Boise, Hi, Bob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 17: DP, Hey, and let me just say I enjoyed the mellow music during the break instead of commercials. Got two best of the weekend. First, my Milwaukee Brewers scoring thirty eight runs this past weekend, only six spewer than the all time record of forty four by the Pittsburgh Pirates in nineteen thirty And second, probably one no one has on the radar, but Cooper luken House finished second and the men's eight hundred meters final yesterday to qualify for the World Championships in Tokyo next month.
Speaker 3: He's in high school right, which is.
Speaker 17: Nice because he's sixteen years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched.
Speaker 2: I watched some of those races, and I did watch was it the two hundred meters?
Speaker 3: No Alliles?
Speaker 2: And I thought, oh man, he's gonna get beat And I don't is it bed Nerrick? Is that the name of the sprinter who had the headband on? He thought he's winning that race and Noah Lliles. At the last second you can just see him and he is going to get him and he ran him down. Uh, that was pretty impressive. Uh, Kenny in La, Hi, Kenny, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 18: Kenny, benn Erick, There you go, track and Field's underrated sport. So Martin kind of stole my thunder on the best and Worst of who He came in your last college too, the Brewers there. But going to the w NBA, which we don't talk about too much on your show. On the worst was Nape said, call your who was leading Candiates the MVP, being hauled in the game with a fifty point lead and leaving with the spring ankle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know, I never understand that when you're watching like you know, uh, the Yukon women they could be up by forty and some of their starters are still in And I just said, you know, you run the risk, like what are you doing? And Collier is really a wonderful player and should be the MVP. Thank you Kenny for the phone call. Brian in San Antonio. Hi, Brian, he hey, good morning Dan.
Speaker 19: Five foot six down to one eighty five. I also have a best and best. My weekend started on Thursday, Dan, and the best was this Thursday night football. It was like an old friend coming home. Man, it was awesome. Don't care who was playing, just wanted to watch it. My other best of the weekend is a Denver Broncos locking up Zach Allen with a great contract for a guy who's been an absolute beast on the defensive line. The Broncos are like the anti cowboy Dan. They've done a fantastic job of locking up their young guys in in Certan.
Speaker 20: And Sutton, well the Sutton's evets, you know, locking up Zach Allen, he's been going back to Bowls and some of those other guys, they're just doing a fantastic job.
Speaker 5: You have a pie of the face bet for the Boys.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was interesting, all right, Okay, let's hear the bet.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 19: I think one of the sneaky good pickups during the off season was the Miami Dolphins picking up Zach Wilson. Broncos wanted to keep him, but he's going to be too expensive. You know, three terrible years of the Jets. He has a year of football rehab. I don't think there's any way in the world that actually makes all seventeen games. My pie of the face bet is that Zach Wilson will start and win at least three games for the Dolphins this season.
Speaker 2: Okay, does anybody want a piece of Brian and San Antonio? Zach Wilson starts and wins at least three games this year. Dylan's in for it. Anybody else want a piece of that? So Brian is taking the over again. He's taken three week plus three starts. At least three starts, three wins for Zach Wilson in Miami.
Speaker 3: I'll take that, all right.
Speaker 2: You got two takers there, Brian, so two pies if you lose, and then Dylan and seating on my end, Eric in Michigan, Good morning, Eric, what's on your mind today, Nannie.
Speaker 21: Thanks for the call. Six fifteen point eight. I got a best of the worst and a question for you. The best of the weekend was I finally have to go out golfing for the first time this summer. The worst was I had to rip up my scorecard after the third hole after losing five balls. Question for you shadow Chill Sinkle hall of Famer or hall of very very good. And if you guys decide to do your deck competition at the Notre Dame uscat game, I've got access to a high school gym and a track. If you guys wanted to do a combine or however you wanted to do it, it'd be good times.
Speaker 2: Out all right, thank you Eric for the offer. I'm still trying to see who wants to run this race. The winner gets five hundred dollars. Who is the fastest person in the building. And it started with one brg Rob who said he could beat Zion Williamson in a race, And then we went wow, okay, and then Marvin goes, there is no way he could beat Zion Williamson in a race. Then all of a sudden it became a five k and then all of a sudden, I thought it was one hundred meter dash. But I want to find out who's the fastest person in the building. Yes, maybe we do it in Vegas at the end of this jackfest.
Speaker 6: What we're calling it again?
Speaker 7: The Jack off? Oh the jack Coffee. That's right at the we do it in Vegas there. Yeah, who's Jack the most?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have all this time to train? Yeah. Newton in Richmond, Hey, Newton.
Speaker 22: Hey, Dan, thanks for taking a call. So I'm sixty and I've been a Dallas fan since nineteen seventy one and I've seen every iteration since then. And I think that based on the fact that Jerry's proven more than once that he's not what he thinks he is, because he's been struggling to make a winning team since he fired Jimmy Johnson, and the only thing he's really succeeded at is making a ton of money. Now as a businessman, you can't argue that he kind of knows what he's doing, although when you see what Dak Prescott's getting paid as a result of being franchised paged two years in a row, it begs the question, does he really understand what's going on as a general manager.
Speaker 5: But I would have to.
Speaker 22: Say hands down that if you want to be on a winning team, Unfortunately, Dallas isn't the one to go to if you want to make money and notoriety because of all of the drama and all of the crap that goes on during the season and off season. Great, but if you want to be a winner, that's not the place to go. And it's sad for me because I'm loyal to them, and I'm pretty certain we're not going to make the playoffs this year because the defense is going to be just as bad or worse than last year.
Speaker 2: Thank you Newton. Yeah, I don't know if it's a destination. It feels like it still is because you can go there to be famous. Doesn't mean that you're going to be great, but you can be famous. Dak Prescott's not great, but he's famous. Ceedee Lamb can be great. Michael Parsons can be great. But you know your value is inflated because you play for the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, Now, when was the last time a big time free agent went to the Cowboys A la Dion Sanders, Like, you know what, I want to be a Cowboy like being famous. They're probably already famous, but I just want to go to a really good team.
Speaker 3: Derrick Henry wanted to go to the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: But he lives in Dallas. Yeah, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: That was shocking, But that goes back to what I've said, If you act sooner, can you save some money? Could you have saved like two million dollars? And that would be the difference of Derrick Henry playing for the Cowboys one and a half million dollars two million dollars per year? Do you think the Cowboys would be better with Derrick Henry as they're starting running back? And that's a rhetorical question because the answer is obvious. That's what I don't understand. And you know, you sign up Jake Ferguson, who's a really good tight end, but there was no drama with that you signed him up. Nobody heard anything, no agent, no nothing, nobody's mad, no acroma, just like it taking care of you.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 8: I feel like being a part of the Cowboys, you're really famous in the off season more so than the regular season, because even though on this show, maybe for us, maybe not other networks, but when the season stars we're going to talk Eagles, Lions cheat like the good teams.
Speaker 2: But if you said to it a TV executive, pick a team, you know who they're gonna pick. Cowboys over everybody, doesn't matter. Eagles are great, Chiefs are great, Ravens are great. Hey, what team do you want? Eagles? Cowboys to start the season? One month from tonight, the season starts and it's the Cowboys and the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Dylan.
Speaker 9: Do you think like over the last couple of years they might actually opt for the Chiefs though, like on top of winning and like all the Taylor Swift stuff and Elmes everything.
Speaker 2: Else, but then people kind of I don't know, there was blowback of having Taylor Swift on. I don't know if they're a national draw. I think they're a great organization, great team, But I don't know if all right, we're gonna watch because of Travis Kelce or Taylor Swift or Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: It always felt like it was it was more of a negative than a positive. Oh, wall you stop shoeing Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift didn't say, Hey, I'm gonna come on, but I want seven different cameos here.
Speaker 9: But that's like, I mean, that's the Cowboys are just all bad press too so like.
Speaker 2: But they're still the Cowboys. You either root for them or you root against them. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like the Chiefs aren't a villain, they're just really good.
Speaker 6: The Eagles.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't have anything against the Eagles, like their fans can be really brutal, but I mean it's a great organization.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Marvin, how many national teams do you think there are in the NFL? Because I think the Chiefs are probably on the same level as the Golden State Wars, where you take Patrick mahomes off, they're not a national team. Same thing with Steph Kirk. You take the Steph off the Warriors, they're not a national team. So how many national teams do you think there are in the NFL?
Speaker 2: I'd say the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys. I don't know who else would fall I mean the TV executives. You know, maybe there's up updated data on that that would say these are the top draws in the in the NFL. But I just remember when I was at NBC Football Night in America where you're like, how many how many Cowboy games? Do we have because you knew that that that was a big number. Yeah, dyl, So this is.
Speaker 9: The Chiefs were the most watched team of twenty twenty four, with twenty five point five million viewers, but the Cowboys and forty nine Ers were the only teams with losing records that made the list.
Speaker 2: Well, what's that mean the most watched that they had a game that was the most watched.
Speaker 9: That was twenty five point five million average per game. Okay in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it doesn't feel like there's the we hate them, you know, you need to have that rivalry or you know, the Steelers did this to us, or the Packers and Cowboys. It's just for some reason, even though the product may not be great, it's still the Cowboys the way they present the game and Jerry Jones, you got the Star and you know there's a.
Speaker 3: It's a.
Speaker 2: It displays well maybe not the actual playing of football, but you do tune in to watch them lose as well.
Speaker 3: All right, last golf for phone calls? What we learn?
Speaker 2: What's in store tomorrow? I'm not sure how I lost Sterling sharp here. So I have all of these different I have all this correspondence with Sterling Sharp. He's good to go. I'm going to try to zoom. Okay, here's the zoo. Can't blame you, Todd. I was trying to take care of this.
Speaker 6: It's a tough business, a tough business.
Speaker 2: The booking it is it is. It's not easy, not easy at all. We'll take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live flast. Call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history. Since Paulie's not here he normally does the honors, I will do it today. Jesse Owens nineteen thirty six, he won his second gold medal of the Berlin Olympics, setting an Olympic record in the long jump. Joel Youngblood in nineteen eighty two, he played for the Mets in a day game, traded to the Expos, and then made it to Philadelphia. Time to have a base hit from Montreal. So he had two base hits for two different teams on the same day.
Speaker 3: Let's see anything else.
Speaker 2: I think that's it was there anything else this day in sports history, Todd that you wanted to add.
Speaker 3: I think that should cover it. Okay, Yes, I have.
Speaker 9: One Dan, Yes, Dylan Byron Nelson in nineteen forty five when his eleventh consecutive PGA Tour when at the Canadian Open. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I got to visit him in Texas before he passed away, and I did. They were legends of the PGA Tour and I went down there to talk to Byron Nelson.
Speaker 3: And he had a club with him.
Speaker 2: He was holding the or a golf club with him, and we were leaning on this wooden fence at his ranch, and I just remember his hands were huge. Him and Arnold Palmer had these huge hands, and Byron Nelson could not have been a nicer person. But that's when I asked him if he would call up Ben Hogan, who didn't live too far from him, and see if Ben Hogan wanted to sit down to do an interview.
Speaker 3: And he was like, oh, no, no, I won't.
Speaker 6: I can't do that.
Speaker 9: You're using him to get to Ogy.
Speaker 2: Well at the very end he started talking about Ben Hogan and I thought, kind, I mean, why not take a shot. I'm not that far away from where Ben lives, and there had been Ben Hogan's sightings, and I thought that'd be pretty cool. You know, he was like JD. Salinger of the golf tour, and I thought, you know what, Hey, would you call Ben Hogan for me and see if he'd maybe sit down for an interview?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh no, no, no, I can't do that, no shot. Yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 14: Forty years ago today, Rod Carew three thousandth hit or Frank Viola. And also forty years ago today, three hundredth win for Tom Seaver as a member of the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 8: That's kind of fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, three thousand, three hundred, forty years ago today.
Speaker 3: Thank you to you.
Speaker 14: Welcome Augus fourth, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Alrighty uh Baker in Illinois, Hi Bake? What's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey Dan?
Speaker 23: How you doing?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 23: Six fifty? I'm with Marvin on your supposed lack of fandom, and so I'm thinking on the very last segment of your very last show. He hear in a few years you just come out in a Red's jersey in a Bengals cap and say, all right, I'm out of the closet.
Speaker 2: No, because I used to be fans of those teams.
Speaker 3: I'm just not anymore. I gotta be.
Speaker 2: When the Rams beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl, I thought it was a great story for the Rams. If the Bengals had won, it would have been a great story. I have to look at it right down the middle. I do hard to do, but I do it. I don't even think about loyalty like that anymore.
Speaker 9: Yes, do When you retire from doing the show, will you restart your fandom? Maybe take new teams?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, I can't see sports differently than I have for the last forty years that still look for the story.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't care less. I mean, I don't care about a fan base or maybe a player that I know, But I'm not going to openly root. And look, there were Sports Center anchors, they're still they're current Sports Center anchors, and they want to tell you about their fandom.
Speaker 3: Our job is to be unbiased, that's all I mean. That was my approach.
Speaker 2: That's how I was taught when I was brought up, learning how to do this at CNN, be a reporter, be unbiased, and you know there are times when you're rooting for a story, but my fandom is not worn on my sleeve. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 23: Dan?
Speaker 24: You guys are talking about the Cowboys earlier. I got a fun idea for you. Will Shay and Irving call into the Dan Patrick Show within twenty four hours of a Cowboys Wild Card loss? Odd were minus one thousand off the bonus if he says fraudulent within the first and Barry mcclown and Dax smid and this team is soft.
Speaker 2: Well, he'll also talk about the ginger. He's still blaming former coaches, and I'll go Jason Garrett is not part of the Danny. You know, it's like he stayed the organization. Jerry hired him. But yeah, Shay will definitely call it.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 3: Jalen in North Carolina High Jalen.
Speaker 5: And then six three to seventy couple bests and the worst. William Byron finally broke through in won yesterday at the Iowa Corn three point fifty after a tough stretch there over the past month or so. And then brock Lesner returning last night at SummerSlam was pretty sick. And then my worst is the new York Yang. He's the seasons over, so I just kind of wanted to get that out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just and I'm not calling for somebody to be fired, but you know, Aaron Boone like running out of time. It feels like for a team that went to the World Series, like I don't know, just feels like there's a malaise over that team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Marvin and the Yankees feel like they got to the World Series because the American League isn't all that strong.
Speaker 2: Ye know, but it's weird to say, Man, I don't know, but you got to the World Series. I think we saw the big separation with you know, the National League in the American League there, yes, do.
Speaker 9: I'll just say the Mets did better against the Dodgers last year than the Yankees did.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom, Thanks for sitting in for Paul. Paul expected back you of course playing.
Speaker 9: I don't know, thanks for having me playing hurt, playing hurt question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you playing soft? I think you.
Speaker 9: Actually I texted you, I said, no major damage. Looks like maybe just li him and strain you just go soft?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, soft, with all the dramas, soft soft tears. Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 14: If Luca really watches how Lebron prepares his body for a new season. He could become the best player in the game.
Speaker 6: Seaton.
Speaker 4: I learned Dylan has an injury.
Speaker 8: Marvin, you think Kurt Flood should be in the Baseball Hall of Fames?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 3: As a contributor, Dylan.
Speaker 9: Jesse Owens won a second gold medal on this day. Suck at Hitler?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you say it now, Todd, what did I learn?
Speaker 14: You recommend the new Ed Sullivan documentary on Netflix Sunday, best the untold story of that Sullivan.
Speaker 2: Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Mako, they bring your car back to life. Affordable paint chobs, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get maco. Have a great day, everybody. Thanks for joining us. We'll talk to you tomorrow.