Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Moving on, speaking of the Clippers, we got a special guest, law Murray from The Athletic joined my other show bet MGM The Night to talk all things Clippers. I was joined by my co host Ryan Horbaugh and Nick Ashu. So let's jump right into it, all right.
Speaker 1: Lawrence Murray covers the Clippers in the NBA for The Athletic. He jumps on with us, Now, what you were supposed to see Draymond Green in the Warriors tomorrow night against the Clippers, and now we're not gonna see that for who knows how long? Your thoughts on the suspension and where we are now, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I knew that wasn't happening. At halftime, my guy shows me his phone.
Speaker 4: It's like, Draymond ain't gonna be here Thursday night.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I didn't see it, Like I knew that it was some people were talking about, but I hadn't seen the clip.
Speaker 4: And then I seen the clip and I'm like, my guys got more finishing moves and you'll see in a royal rumble these days, man like he's.
Speaker 3: Got the closed line, you got the herd stop in the playoffs. What's the bonus they show Cole haul it off and punch you pull. That was not you know, not even what fourteen months ago, and it's it's a you know, it's not good that that's what we're talking about with Draymond, Like he's he's a he's a future Hall of Famer. But now you know, in twenty twenty three, going into possibly twenty twenty four, we're going to be talking about like another multi game suspension. So it's unfortunate for him, it's unfortunate for the Wars, and hopefully this particular suspension is something that gets him to stop getting suspended. Like when you get definitely suspended, it's not even like you can't even put a timeline on It is way bigger than basketball. And unlike most dudes who get and definitely suspend it, this happened on the basketball court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Ja Morant. It feels like the first suspension for Ja Morant where they wanted to get it sorted out when he ended up going to his own counseling sessions. Never mind the fact that we've been I don't know since June since he stomped on Sabonus's chest and then like less than a month since he's choked out Rudy Gobert. So the Draymond incidents have piled up more than just the Jordan Poole. I want to talk about some stuff that's good though, because all of a sudden, what has happened since Russell Westbrook has decided to be the sacrificial lamb and go to the bench. This team is what ten and three? How good? How optimistic are we feeling about our clips right now?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, my reporting was different from everybody else's.
Speaker 3: So my line was not that this was Russ's decision. I termed it as a team decision, one that Russ had to go with because what leverage did anyone have in a situation where they were losing? You know, they had a six game losing streak. They were three and seven alone in twelfth place in the Western Conference. But Russell has played his role, which is as this team second point guard, and the key is having James Harden as the main point guard.
Speaker 4: It has allowed for.
Speaker 3: Everybody, especially James, to understand what their roles are, to understand what they have to do in certain lineups. And the Clippers aren't really throwing out a whole lot of crazy lineups, like they're actually a pretty streamlined team right now in terms of what everyone is being asked to do, and everyone's had a moment like James that first win to start this stretch of ten wins at their last thirteen was a four point play.
Speaker 4: Against a team that we thought he was going to.
Speaker 3: Sign with in the Houston Rockets, And you saw Paul George play some of like he's. I feel like Paul's always gotten off to great starts over these last few seasons.
Speaker 4: It's just a matter of his body holding up.
Speaker 3: And ironically, his body is going through some things right now. He may or may not play tomorrow against the Words. However, Paul's lably been the best player over the course of this entire season, even when they were losing six in a row, Like Paul was suggressively good on both ends of the floor, but especially offensively. But now what you're seeing this month of December is Kawhi Leonards turning up. Kawhi is not only playing in all of these games, but now he's starting to really cook teams. He's understanding where he's going to have his opportunities, and he is lethal. Unlike a lot of the superstars who come into the league. Kawhi and Paul are guys who they had the ball out of their hands and they had to be two way players before getting their opportunity to dominate the basketball. And then when they got to the Clippers, they were asked to increase their playmaking for their teammates. Now you're getting the best of all three of those worlds. You're still asking those guys to be top level defenders, and it helps that those guys can run a pick and roll and make the right passes.
Speaker 4: But now that you're playing with.
Speaker 3: James so much, you are allowing those guys to get catches in spots where they can be efficient with their offense.
Speaker 4: And you're seeing all of that come to the right now.
Speaker 5: And Lawrence, for the third consecutive season, I did buy into the Clippers.
Speaker 1: I'm a believer, and they made it.
Speaker 5: A whole twenty two games this season without an injury to Kawi or Paul George, like you said, he missed the second half. He's got some groin soreness they're calling it. And I just look at this week, this stretch, they got four games I believe in six nights, Blazers, Kings, Warriors, Knicks, and then after that like Pacers, MAVs, Thunder and like you said, they're figuring some things out right now with Kawhi, you know, with Russ coming off the bench and with Harden coming over. Does that concern you at all if he does have to miss some time, you know, just maybe like a little bit of a setback, and does he miss any time?
Speaker 3: I hope he honestly, I hope that the Clippers are smart and does not have him play through soft tissue stuff like something that might cost you a game or two. You don't want it to wind up costing a week or two because you're trying to prove something. I saw that last season. That's the thing that trip me up. I'm with this team all the damn time, and guys are talking about how dudes is just sitting out because they want to know. I saw dudes play when they shouldn't have. That's what we saw in Denver January, first week of January.
Speaker 4: They go there, it's today. I always remember because.
Speaker 3: It was my birthday and it stopped being my birthdays soon as that game started. Paul had a bad hamstring and decided and the team let him play like he was allowed to play it, I knew he wasn't right immediately, like a guy who is pretty good in the paint.
Speaker 4: Everything was outside of the paint, jump shots, short, not.
Speaker 3: Getting, not playing the type of game that you would play if he was healthy, And they were down thirty five at halftime, and of course we didn't see Paul again for two weeks, and he didn't play the second night of it back again until after the all start break. That's the kind of thing where it's like, Okay, you gotta be smart, But then we're seeing a team that is pushing each other, pushing themselves to play all these games high minutes and because they have to. So the concern now is can everybody adjust to doing a little bit more. Can guys who aren't playing and play competently, Can guys like Norman Powell or I'm not even sure how they would handle who would start, because we haven't seen it yet this season.
Speaker 4: It could be normal. They could be someone like a mere Coffee who.
Speaker 3: Right now out of the playing rotation, but someone who, if you look back at previous seasons, has been able to start and fill in, especially for Paul George. So I feel like because everyone else is playing so well, and these guys are talented players. These guys are guys who've been practicing and been on this team for years. It's not going to be that big of an adjustment. Obviously, you're not going to be as talented. But the cohesiveness is what matters in the basketball game, and I think it would help the Clippers to see what that looks like in December now that they have a little bit of a cushion or five hundred, not much though there's so only seventh in the West.
Speaker 2: I wanted to follow up on that point about guys playing through or deciding they wanted to push do tweaks and being banged up, Like, who's responsible for that change happening this season.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to put it on the NBA's player participace policy, that's for sure. I think that guys were I think last year was a year he probably could have taken for granted. I think when the season began last year, it was like, oh, Kawhi Leonards back from an ACL and Paul you know, after missing three months with and torn linkman and his elbow. You were thinking add that to a team that finished with a winning record and you could see how everyone thought they'd be a top five team easily. We learned a lot about how injuries in age, not just of the stars, but of the supporting cast can cause a team to decline. And that's what you saw last year. By the end of the year, the approach that the team took just for guys to get hurt any damn way, it really lit a fire up under everybody.
Speaker 4: But the other thing.
Speaker 3: Is, look at the contracts. Contracts speak for themselves. No one's guaranteed to be on this team again next year.
Speaker 4: You don't want to lead this season.
Speaker 3: Would regrets the whole Service had a great line in one of those songs. You know, I'd rather regret something that didn't regret something that didn't do. And what this team is doing is saying, you know what, we need to take the regular season seriously. But it's not a matter of, you know, guys having an attitude going into games that they weren't trying hard. It's a matter of you have a medical stat that's trying to protect injury prone players. But now the approach is to not, you know, put everything into protecting guys over a long term that isn't guaranteed instead play guys can help them sustain over the course of the year while they're playing back to backs, while they're playing instead of thirty minutes, thirty five minutes per game. And it's because this is the last real shot that this team might have with these group of guys being together. It's really as simple as that.
Speaker 1: Talking to Lawrence mury Bet MGM tonight, I'm looking at the Western Conference standings now, and I know, like it's a long season. We're twenty two to twenty three games in for most of these teams. We got the Timberwolves at seventeen and five, the th Under at fifteen and seven, and then the MAVs at fifteen and eight. With the Denver Nuggets sitting there in the four spot, I know, a long way to go. When you look at some of these younger teams, these up and coming teams, we all kind of sat here and agreed, the Thunder we're gonna take that next step. I didn't really expect him to be like a two seed when the season was done. But again, long season ago. If you look at the Timberwolves, the Thunder and even the MAVs, do you see all or even one of them kind of sustaining this type of momentum throughout the season.
Speaker 3: Not really, Wow, that's that's that's no disrespect to these teams. Look, man, at this time last year, December of twenty twenty two, we were looking at teams like Phoenix and the New Orleans Pelicans at the.
Speaker 4: Top of the West.
Speaker 3: Okay, tim, what happened to Phoenix? Yeah, like Utah had Mike Conley. You know who has Mike Conley now? The number one team in the conference, Minnesota Timberwolves, a team that I would not consider to be a young, up and coming team.
Speaker 4: Them dudes is pretty damn old.
Speaker 3: Not old as in you know Clippers old, but like those guys are established NBA players and talents outside of maybe Anthony Edwards, Like Anthony is the base of that team now, but Carl Anthony Towns is the guy who he's been around long enough to be the face and to kind of pass that along the end. Rudy Gobert is a guy who he's on the other side of thirty now. Mike Conley is in the twilight of his career, but he's still playing at a high level and has a lot to do with why.
Speaker 4: That team is so organized, like you saw it with the Utah.
Speaker 3: Jaz when they stopped being competitive once they made that trade with Minnesota. This is the Minnesota team that could have been. We could have seen this team last year, except Rudy didn't have his stuff together in his first year there. It took mid season to get the right point guard to be there in Mike Conley. He's a much better fit for those guys than d Low and was great, but Carl Anthony Towns.
Speaker 4: Was hurt pretty much the whole year.
Speaker 3: You're seeing a team that went through a lot of struggles and now they're coming together. I love what they're doing, but it's also like you take one or two of those guys out and you know they have some their ability issues. They're not deep at all, and that's the result of the Rudy gobertrade. We saw that last year. Hopefully that we don't have to see that this year. But that's what you have to guard for you O KC.
Speaker 4: Thunder.
Speaker 3: They're just young and they're doing great, but we got to see it over the course of a full season. So we'll give them credit for what they're doing now, and we know it's a long season.
Speaker 4: It's hard, So shout out to the Shout out to those dudes. And for Dallas, it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Luca was playing great this time last year. He was coming up with fifty point games, sixty point games, and then in celebrations after some of the stuff that he was doing, like when he beat the Knicks off of that free throw, misterthrow, they go as far as Luca goes and relying on Kyrie Irving.
Speaker 4: Kyrie's already hurt, so we got to see it.
Speaker 2: Lauren's about thirty seconds. How sustainable is this performance that we're seeing lately from Harden.
Speaker 3: I think there's pretty damn sustainable. He's not doing anything too complicated. He's just kind of playing basketball. Set the screen, We're gonna make some decisions.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: You know what if they got if they can keep this going, Star, I will listen. I want to see the Clippers make a run again. They made the Western Conference finals and they actually kept that roster healthy a couple of years ago. I mean, it would be it would be fun to watch them over the Lakers for a change. Lawrence Murray the athletic, great talking you man, Thanks for coming on again.
Speaker 4: Appreciate y'all.
Speaker 2: All right, that's all the time that we after the Heat Check. Come back Monday for an all new episode, and check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop unexpectedly like a pop up from YouTube telling you to stop using your ad blocker. Do not forget to follow the heat Check as we navigate and talk about this NBA season. That means download, subscribe, and tell everyone friends, enemies, frenemies, neighbors, all of them, even that guy selling Christmas trees who, when I asked to pick out a nice one, he said they all look the same. Tell him they stop taxing one hundred dollars a six foot Christmas tree. Tell them yo. By the way, while you're waiting on the non people coming to your parking lot because it's December eighteenth, listen to this podcast called the heat Check. She wants a nice tree too. Follow us on social at this heat Check, on trister Creek, on TikTok, Instagram, and on Twitter. We'll see you next time.