Speaker 1: Well, I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. But you're a guess to mah, you gotta come to me empty And I said, no, guess your presences presence enough. I already had too much stuff. So how do you dad to surbey mean?
Speaker 2: We are less than a week away from the live show on June twenty sixth, seven thirty pm Dynasty Typewriter. We've got Blair Saki, Carl Tart, Rob Hubal. What a gorgeous asling lineup, and there'll be a variety of other surprises. I'm not going to tell you what those are. You'll find out when you watch it. That's how surprises work. Maybe I'll have an emotional meltdown on stage. That's a very real possibility. If you're going to see all this unfold, you need to buy the live stream at Dynasty typewriter dot com. Tickets sold out, you know, a million years ago, but you still can buy the live stream Dynasty typewriter dot com. And now it's time for the podcast. Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Bridger Wineger. We're in the backyard. I hope you're doing well. Analish is not here. This week after they tried to shoot me last week. I sadly had to have them arrested. Ah, so we'll just see what the court system decides and see if they're allowed back to produce the podcast. But in the meantime, we have our friend John Bradley here. John, Welcome to the podcast. And oh there's nothing else else. I'm getting a new dishwasher. I can't wait. Let's get into the show. I adore today's guest. It's Joe Castle Baker. Joe, welcome to I said no gifts.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. It is a pleasure to be here in your beautiful backyard.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to have you here. And you've got a diet doctor pepper.
Speaker 3: I brought only one, which I think is a really a kind of mark against my character.
Speaker 2: Really sorry, very crass. Is it cold? It's cold?
Speaker 3: It's cold?
Speaker 2: Is that your soda of choice?
Speaker 3: It has become that since when, well since I had one maybe a year and a half ago and fell in love.
Speaker 2: It's that set. Yes, Wow, what were you drinking prior to that? Die Coke? Oh?
Speaker 3: Of course, I know, I know. I like both.
Speaker 2: They're both good drinks. But diet doctor Pepper.
Speaker 3: There's something about it. If you haven't had it yet, you really got to try it.
Speaker 2: It's a very I mean, it's got a great sweetness.
Speaker 3: It has the perfect sweetness, and it tastes very similar to the regular, but it has its own quality for sure.
Speaker 2: It's more of a little sister than diet Coke is to coke exactly. It's a different drink.
Speaker 3: Diet Coke is a different drink. It might as well be a different company in my opinion. People aren't gonna like that, but it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think diet doctor Pepper. I haven't had regular doctor Pepper really really long telling either. Actually I should probably try, yeah, to see if you're even I mean, if that's equal to say that, Yeah, I've been saying so confident.
Speaker 3: I know, really I like this. It's very very good though.
Speaker 2: And then they had a doctor Pepper called doctor Pepper ten. Do you remember this? I think I do. Where it was ten calories and it was for men and this was not that long.
Speaker 3: Wow, So I'm drinking the women's drink.
Speaker 2: I ultimately drinking.
Speaker 3: I'm sunned. I mean, I'm happy with that they discontinued ten.
Speaker 2: I assume I would assume. I don't think that it launched in the way that they wanted it to. Wide a disappointment, just an immediate backlash. Why only I think that's so funny. Ten calories? Men can handle ten.
Speaker 3: They can handle ten. What did they do to give it ten calories? What did they put right?
Speaker 2: They got so close to.
Speaker 3: Zero, so close it's like just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Men are not going to drink this if it's zebra exactly. They drive their something like that. You know. That's kind of how the commercials were for Doctor Pepper ten. They were like kind of aggressive and masculine. That's so wild. I mean, there there's that whole industry of kind of things that you know, are perceived as women products and are now kind of being marketed to men. Uh dude, wipes, Oh god. Even saying that out loud, it's just it's scary. But Doctor Piper ten was kind of a pioneer. I think. I think so dropped the ball.
Speaker 3: They really did. If they had come out with that, now I might try it. I've had I used I was spraying ax for women for a second.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's an actual xen.
Speaker 3: Ax for women, and it's called anarchy and it's in white, the bottle is white, and it's called Anarchy for her, and I was like, Okay, well, maybe I'll give it a shot. I was kind of desperate. I was at a gas station looking for deodorant, and I was like, this is the option. This was the best option I could get. And I kind of, you know, I didn't mind it.
Speaker 2: What does it smell like?
Speaker 3: I honestly I don't remember it was. It was not good. It wasn't really feminine. But except for the packaging, which looked a little feminine, was.
Speaker 2: The branding like the anarchy A with the circle around. They didn't include that. That's interesting. It feels like a very obvious I.
Speaker 3: Don't I think that was a little too far for them. But they just had Anarchy for her, and then instead of black, it was white, just to make it really clear. Different different, different, different, different different.
Speaker 2: I want to get my eyes on an Anarchy for her. I'm going to google this really. Yeah. I can't believe that this has never crossed my radar, because that is a terrible brand.
Speaker 3: I only saw it once at a gas station in Ohi, California, and then I maybe saw it again. I got a target, but it's very rare.
Speaker 2: Wow. Oh and it's got some pink.
Speaker 3: Yes, it definitely has some pink.
Speaker 2: I forgot. Wow, it's bad branding. That's bad. It's definitely bad because it does say axe yes, but then daily fragrance and then beneath that anarchy for her. Yes.
Speaker 3: Wait, that actually looks a little more what you're looking at here for your computer looks a little more refined than what I remember.
Speaker 2: You may have gotten kind of a crow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe interesting.
Speaker 2: I would love to smell some anarchy for her. I thought that X had gone away completely. I thought that after two thousand and nine they kind of said, we've got to find a new name for this brand. But oh and looks of a shower gel. Oh my, you can smell. And then there's some kind of kind of a wizard looking man and his review is actually good. Yes, I agree. His hand is glowing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what happens.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, but this is a whole new world.
Speaker 3: I know, what were you doing in OHI it was my sister's wedding, so you know I had to smell really good.
Speaker 2: To smell like gas station exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and no complaints about how I smelled and I officiated the wedding, so wow, you know I, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people caught a whiff of you and said, get rid of the other person, Joe exactly.
Speaker 3: They got rid of the Catholic priest. And I stood there and said, they're not they're not.
Speaker 2: Got what are you wearing now?
Speaker 3: Right now, I'm wearing my classic arm and hammer.
Speaker 2: Armand hammer. Yes, it's really good. Does it just smell like baking soda?
Speaker 3: It smells like nothing, nothing, and it's great. I used to be so sweaty when I was younger, right, really sweaty that I'd have to wear like the deodorant at night before.
Speaker 2: Wow, just to prepare your body for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then what happens is the sweat moves elsewhere, And so then I started sweating profusely in my butt crack, is true.
Speaker 2: Yes, the bodies like the water has to We got to release this somehow. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so then I would sit up, the seat would be perfect butt cheek imprint wet through my jeans and then I'd have just a little slit of water.
Speaker 2: Myra this is mortifying.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And I was sixteen seventy something like that.
Speaker 2: Hell, so were you like seeing a doctor about it. No, No, you were kept a private. I kept it really tight, you know, really sharing it with medical. Wow, that's really interesting. But then you switch to arm and a hammer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that Actually I still sweat a lot from everything.
Speaker 2: We live in New York. I mean during heat yeah. Oh and the heat there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I sweat everywhere, real wet heat. But it works. It doesn't make me smell bad. And then I don't get stains on my shirt that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So I assume it's an antiperspirant.
Speaker 3: No, it's not deodorant. It's just deodorant. And then it does have baking soda.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I should try that.
Speaker 3: It's really I can't praise it enough. It is really good.
Speaker 2: I have very sensitive armpits. Oh really. I used to use speedstick, which I think is probably garbage. Well, I think I don't know what am I to say. It's probably actually good. I'm sure this wizard is rebuted it as something. But then I switched to something else, maybe old spice for a period. Yes, absolutely burned me, really literally burned my skin. So I don't know if it's the product's fault or my body's fault. Interesting, but now I'm I'm in Dove, Dove, Dove, but Dove for men. There, that's what it's in a gray case.
Speaker 3: That's the one where I'm kind of like, I got it.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. I got it. I feel like Dove has done it in a tasteful way. I agree. Why is that, I guess because they have never really it wasn't it didn't feel aggressive. It's still called Dove.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still kind of feminine.
Speaker 2: It's not right. I didn't like call it hawk no eagle, yeah, or like predator or something. We're a brand usually for women, and now we're a brand for everyone. The sense are kind of thoughtful.
Speaker 3: They are, they really are. They're very thoughtful. I can't think of a one, but I believe it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I mine is, but it's a pleasant slue. It's kind of a bluish sometimes they have like a one that's like ocean are the words they're using to describe, of course, Yeah, the ocean smells really not the best smell, but fish and salt fish and yeah, god knows sewage, yeah, just free roaming suits. Yeah, and then I also use the Dove showered I've really bought into really in it. Yeah, I guess you know, whatever they were doing caught me.
Speaker 3: Now I believe it and I get it. I think I've had that and the squirt bottle tall with.
Speaker 2: The well we're using the one that's not. I would love to have a square bottle tall, but I don't think there's room on my shower shelf for that. You're more humble, I'm a more humble, yea humble beginnings, And so we have the one that's more of a squeeze from the middle. SSS. Do shower jail or a body soap? I do a bar a bar? I know, Oh I said shower jail or body soap? Those are the same thing. Well, the bodies are, that's bar bodies open bar of soap.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't really love it, but I bought a twenty pack or something and I'm now I'm stuck for until twenty twenty six or something. You know, there's nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 2: I don't think as an adult, I've ever used a bar of soap.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't know what happened to me when I decided to do this, and now I'm stuck.
Speaker 2: Do you have to use a washcloth? I do. Okay, so it's a whole thing. You've really pictured it out. Yeah it is. I have to a washcloth.
Speaker 3: I use a Korean washcloth that I would say scrapes off the first layer of skin every time.
Speaker 2: Oh see this sounds very appealing. No, it's good.
Speaker 3: It was something I saw on a TikTok and I thought let's give it a shot.
Speaker 2: It's a care so is it rough? It's rough and it's but it's still like flexible like.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and it's actually a glove and you stick your hand in it, okay, grab the soap. It gets it picks up that soap real nice, and then it just rips off off the skin on your body and it is really I mean, it works. I want to try this now you I don't know if you can handle it.
Speaker 2: There's a good chance I couldn't. But I have had a Korean body scrub before. I haven't had that. It's incredible and like a U parlor pizza parlor. No, it's called Wee spaw. And I was about to go today, you were, I was well. Then I ruined your day.
Speaker 3: Well, and now it's I can't possibly do something that somebody has told me to do now now I love it there.
Speaker 2: Oh it's great. You get to wear their shorts and their backing shirt.
Speaker 3: I thought that you couldn't get a massage there.
Speaker 2: You can't get a massage. Now this is when we're going back to men and women. Women can get a massage there. They have all these services for women. Men can only get scrubbed. I see interesting, which you know again it say you can only get the most aggressive thing if you're a man. I got that. I mean, I got it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm maybe I'm responsible for all this division after all, you know, But.
Speaker 2: If you go, you should have it done. I would a fascinating experience and probably good for something.
Speaker 3: Did you feel smooth afterwards?
Speaker 2: I felt I was just slipping and sliding. My clothes wouldn't say on. My body couldn't hold onto the steering wheel. It was very difficult for me. I heard a horror story about a SPA recently. I don't even know if I should tell it on this podcast. Some friends ran into a dead person really yes, yes, and the spa. This was not we spa. They ran into it. What happened? And I guess we're telling the story now like that, And I guess the staff started acting weird and then they kind of said, there's somebody passed out in the spa. But they weren't calling nine one one. They were just acting suspicious, and so my friend and her friend were like, well, if someone has to take what's happening, someone needs to deal with this. They went into the sauna and we're like trying to wake the person up, clapping, wake up, wake up, nothing happening. They took the pulse the person had died, and only then did the SPA call for an ambulance. WHOA to me, that says they've had a lot of people died there before.
Speaker 3: If they if they're not to do anything, or a lot of people pass out and they kind of just wait until the next logical step, right and hope they wake up. Yeah, I hope they wake up or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then they also charged my friend. They still didn't they had to pay really.
Speaker 3: Even though they found the dead body, they ran.
Speaker 2: The dead body. Oh my god, can you imagine? I mean, I mean I can't imagine at all. I'm inviting you to imagine this right now.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, first of all, if someone passed out, well, I guess if somebody passed out.
Speaker 2: I would do something. I would probably I would try to, especially if I work there, certainly I would be like, well, it's now our responsibility. Yeah, because this could only get worse.
Speaker 3: Oh god, well, I'm really let me just say this, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm really glad it wasn't in a jacuzzi for their sake, because I always imagine and it's in the jacuzzi and then they got to drain it the sauna. I think they can get back to business the next day almost immediately.
Speaker 2: I think. So it's a dry, hot space exactly.
Speaker 3: It almost disinfects itself kind of, and so they can get back right on the saddle.
Speaker 2: You know, I assumed this spa. I mean, according to how they handled the situation, they probably did just get They're probably just like, okay, who's back in the sauna.
Speaker 3: They might have had a small vigil and then moved on.
Speaker 2: But apparently there were customers who were like, well, I want to shower, Like people were mad that, like their day had been right. I guess I can't believe it. If I were there, I'd be like, well, I guess I just have to leave.
Speaker 3: It's a risky place. Let's be real, it's a risky place.
Speaker 2: It is kind of risky.
Speaker 3: It's scary to mean a sauna can be. Sometimes I feel like I'm about to die. If you go in there on an empty stomach, Oh you're done.
Speaker 2: Forget it, you're dead. You're going to pass out. You'll pass out. I have very low blood pressure, so size you are sickly, tank hyper whatever? Tanks No, I get just standing up, I'll almost pass up. So low low blood pressure? Wait, what's that? You want? That one? Right between that? It is better, right, yeah, ultimately better, But I think I'm too low. Like when I go to the doctor whatever, they'll be like, oh, this is low. They always comment on it, so you know that's not But then my cholesterol's not right, my heart and my blood system's broken. Interesting blood systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, maybe you've got to get more scrubs.
Speaker 2: Maybe scrubbing does kind of circulate the blood through your body. You're getting rid of yourself. Well you should go to we spa. Treat yourself to that. It's a really to me, it's better than like going to Disneyland. Okay, pay thirty dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, that's definitely better than Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Disneylands so expensed.
Speaker 3: I would say it's two thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It's so expensive, it's I think truly two hundred dollars at least. Yes, for a single day of wandering around the park.
Speaker 3: Big difference is I can't get naked at Disneyland. That's the big difference.
Speaker 2: See, that would be interesting if it were taken over by weeks. I think so just people kind of separated. Yeah, adults only. Everything is extremely hot, yes, dead bodies. Yeah. Have you been to Disneyland recently?
Speaker 3: No, but I was going to go the other day. I was kind of disappointed. My sister was like, let's go, and then she backed out.
Speaker 2: Oh. Interesting, Yeah, you've kind of been making all these plans and then they're falling through. I know, how long are you in town for? I was here for It'll be three weeks. Oh, I leave in a week. Yeah. What have there been any exciting things you've done while you're here?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Kind of, but not really. I've been to the beach a few times. I've I went to Musso and frank Oh.
Speaker 2: I have feelings about Musso and frank Oh. I don't think it's good. Really, I think it's bad. I think it's cafeteria food. What I loved it, people love it. But the one time I've been there, I don't drink, so like I'm not getting a martini or anything. That's the big draw, right, I think. And then all the other food, I'm like, oh, this is something that could have been prepared in an elementary school, Like it's like chef's salads. Well I got something like that. What did you get?
Speaker 3: I got the jelly consumme. I know I got it because that you know that it's so grows sounding.
Speaker 2: What is jelly consumme? It is broth with gelatine. It's broth.
Speaker 3: Imagine you're making jello, but instead of water, you're using beef broth with pieces of beef in it, and they serve that.
Speaker 2: So it's it is essentially like a jello but savory. Yes, I was.
Speaker 3: I was expecting it to be this thing that I would defend with my life after I had it, because it was you guys get it all wrong. And you know what, it's okay, I've had it just once and I'm moving on and never again.
Speaker 2: But you ate the whole thing, well, not just me. I passed it around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was kind of like, let's let's take a turn one, you know, and you.
Speaker 2: Just eat it on a fork. You don't like spread it on a toastrew.
Speaker 3: It's just in a it's served in a cocktail glass, and it has this horse radish cream on it.
Speaker 2: Inexcusable.
Speaker 3: It was definitely definitely worth trying, but never again.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, and it's a warm cold but not cold enough. Oh interesting, And you want that to be ice.
Speaker 3: I want it to be freezing cold. But it was just cold, just a little just a little cold.
Speaker 2: So it just feels like a mistake kind of Yeah.
Speaker 3: If they didn't eat it up enough, or they left it out or I don't know, but you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: It was good. It was good. I was happy I got it. Yeah, a little cafeteria food. Yeah, yeah, I feel like you go there more. It's like an experience, I suppose, definitely. Yeah. And if I because I'm in such a bad mood by the time I'm having dinner, I need it to be good. I can't just have it be an experience. No, I agree, So Musso and Frank that Dantana's. That's another place I don't know if I've been. That place is in Beverly Hills, believe I've never been. We tried to get it and they were so rude. But it's you know, it's like a scene like you go there because it's like Hollywood or whatever. That's something I do not want to do ever. I know it is kind of unappealing, right, but apparently they have a they have chicken palm, which I would eat.
Speaker 3: I love chicken parm they had I think they had chicken parm on. Mussom Frank too.
Speaker 2: Well, they've got everything. They basically like if it's been turned into a TV dinner, they they'll have it at exactly right to discuss. My apologies to Musso and Frank. Who even owns that at their children? Probably not so junior somebody. So that was one of the highlights of the trip. Yeah, yeah, had you been there before? No? Wow? And you're from LA I am, Yeah, so you've avoided it for years? I know.
Speaker 3: Well, I wasn't really hanging out over there when I was. I was no, I was at the Chipotle in Westwood two three, four times a day. I was about to say a week with my best friend Maggie, and that was about it. That was my La experience vibrant definitely culturally, you know involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think Chipotle has gotten worse or everyone's tastes have evolved worse?
Speaker 3: It has or maybe both our tastes have gotten worse, which is why we still tolerated. But it's gotten worse. Chipotle has gone worse.
Speaker 2: The quality has shot straight downhill, right, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, after ten years of doing anything, people get tired, you know.
Speaker 2: They lost the spirit, they lost the joy.
Speaker 3: There used to be such a spark there in the beginning, and now it's just another bowl, another bowl, I think, orige. I think the original sin was that people started getting the bowl when they were like, our whole thing was burritos, right, and they're kind of sad that they they stopped their passion.
Speaker 2: They lost their way exactly right my sense, I always thought Chipotle was like fine. It was like, oh, I'll have a fine lunch, and now it feels horrible. It's horrible. They've got to get it back together. I know, what do you is the plan just to go out of business? I think some of these companies, I don't understand what the strategy is.
Speaker 3: I think it's something needs something bigger and better needs to come in and they need to get scared.
Speaker 2: I think it is your opportunity.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, we'll see. I'll try to come up with something.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we should talk about something else, Okay, Joe. I was very excited to have you here today. Thought Joe will come over after a probably four hour car ride, we'll have a nice time chatting. I'll send him on his way. Everything will be fine. So I was absolutely floored. Throne is putting it mildly when you sauntered into my backyard holding a gift on my podcast, I said, no gifts. I just couldn't resist. It was irresistible opportunity.
Speaker 3: To inside and see what's what's what's in store?
Speaker 2: Well, you've brought this gift in this gorgeous like almost a Christmas packaging, but it feels like it could be at any time of pea denominational. Yes, it's a non denominational. It has kind of snowflakes, but could also be fireworks exactly. It could be whatever you want. Should I open it here? On the podcast? I think, so, oh, this is harder to open the next space.
Speaker 3: I didn't want that. I didn't anticipate that I should have pre ripped it.
Speaker 2: That's very tough wrapping paper. Okay, we're opening now, we're to a white box. We're opening the white Oh, there's a lot of things in here. There are should it do I need to open it in any order? No? Okay. The first thing we're pulling out is a gorgeous beanie baby. Yes, it's a green rabbit, A see green rabbit, see like a sea glass. Do they have? His name is Hippity Yes. Should we talk about this first? I think so? Well, okay, And it was born June first, nineteen ninety six. Hippoti is a cute little bunny dressed in green. He looks quite funny, twitching his nose in the air, sniffing a flower here and there. Wow, gorgeous, I think. So why did you bring this? Well? For one, I thought you would appreciate it. I immediately. I love the color and the tag is still on. It's I mean, essentially mint condition.
Speaker 3: It's of all of the ones I had, and not that I had many in front of me to choose from, but if that was the case, this was definitely the most mint conditioned one.
Speaker 2: How many do you think you have? Oh?
Speaker 3: Thanks, I prefer to keep things private, and this one definitely. You know, this one is actually the one that is supposed to be the most expensive if it's if it has a factory defect, this one can go for like a thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: I'm selling this immediately.
Speaker 3: This one, unfortunately, is flawless. Well yeah, for now, I could counterfit you exactly, rip off an eye something like that.
Speaker 2: What is the flaw that makes it valuable?
Speaker 3: I think I think millimeters of missage something like that. Everyone thinks the Princess Diana want is like the really expensive one, but there's actually like thirty thousand of those everywhere, right, But this one is this was like one of the original beanie babies. What I'm really hyping it up as though I'm giving you something special.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's not. It's really not, because ultimately it's not the one that I want. I want the one we want.
Speaker 3: You want thee Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's John Is showing us one on eBay that says thirty five thousands. I want it back now, I want this one back.
Speaker 3: I'm like, made a mistake.
Speaker 2: This is the one, right, is the one? But obviously this one must be the one with the no, wait, this is not this is a lawsuit. My god got a mistake. And then we have audio of you giving it to me. I gave it to you on the record. This is a normal one.
Speaker 3: It's a normal one, and it's thirty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Joe. I can't take your thirty five thousand Dollarsanie, I don't know to take me to dinner with the money you make off I so, yeah, what that should to me? That feels like it should be a government trap and that person, the person who buys it, should be arrested immediately.
Speaker 3: There's no way who would would possibly buy that?
Speaker 2: Who clicks yes on a thirty five? Wow, that can't possibly be true. That maybe the seller is just like, let's just.
Speaker 3: Wish thinking I might as well. Yeah, it's gonna set on my mantle. Yeah, it costs me nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm blown away. How did you find out it was worth anything at all?
Speaker 3: Well, we have found all of it. I'm staying at my mom's house. You can't tell. And we found a bunch of beanie babies from my childhood, my brothers and my sisters and I and we have a big pile of them. And we were trying to value them. There's no value there at all. But so we were looking through and we have them all like in one location, and we're like, you know, eventually we'll find some I will find a seller, a verified seller, and we'll kind of figure out how to do, you know, we'll get that money there. But it's never gonna happen except for this one.
Speaker 2: This one was the most valuable for I really. Yeah, So we were all collecting them, I think, So, yeah, are you the oldest sibling.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of the middle though, I'm a twin so oh I didn't know that. Yeah, I have a twin sister, and then I have an older brother, but I'm five minutes older, so I guess I'm.
Speaker 2: The interesting Yeah. I've never thought about the middle child involving twins. I know. Yeah, it's not quite right, but right enough. Yeah, very good. So you have quite a few of these at home, yes, And you went through and the rest were worthless. Yeah, and then this one. Some freak out there figured out that there were some that had a factory defect. Yes, and not.
Speaker 3: Those are the ones supposedly that the collectors want, right, and the rest are kind of like it's more just like, if you like them, keep them, but no one's going to have her buy these.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the beanie baby craze passed me by I for whatever reason. I mean, I had a little sister who got a few of them, but there was never any like, oh, we need to invest in beanie babies. Yeah, but it seems like the rest of the country got taken for a ride. They definitely did. Were they ever were I guess probably during the height of the fame they were worth something.
Speaker 3: I think it was the kind of thing where it's like, hold on to this, it's going to be a worth whole lot of money some day, And I don't.
Speaker 2: Know about that yet. I guess it's a low investment. Definitely, they probably cost what ten dollars at the time.
Speaker 3: I imagine honestly that they were a little more, oh interesting, because they had hype right like they were. I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Sixteen dollars feels like about privy to that kind of thing. I was kind of you were just kind of blinded by the whole excitement exactly.
Speaker 3: I was focusing on the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they had the ones I believed that you got a McDonald's that somehow we're all so collectible. Maybe smaller, smaller, I'm sure cheaper made. I'm sure they were as.
Speaker 3: Opposed to this, which was clearly very fine, very hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly hand.
Speaker 3: Car.
Speaker 2: I watched that Beanie baby documentary. Did you watch this? No? I should. I don't know that you should. Really. I remember thinking, oh, this is just whatever, like bad nostalgic rab. I was like, oh, I think I would learn something, and I don't remember learning a single thing. Yeah, okay, I'll skip it, skip it. But I think the one thing I learned was other worthless. Yes, so, but yeah, fortunately I never got involved. But you brought this along just as a gorgeous gift for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is just the opener. This is just the there's four there's four things in here.
Speaker 2: Four things? Uh? Is there anything else to say about beanie babies at the time when you were collecting them? Was it a thing like your parents? Did it drive your parents crazy sort of thing? Or were they like, oh, Joe want something I really didn't pay attention to. I was focused on other things.
Speaker 3: But I think probably it did drive them crazy, because also I think my sister and I thought over them, or like we wanted I wanted her, she wanted mine, but I wouldn't give her, you know.
Speaker 2: And did you have to like go wait outside of stores? No, no, no, no, we never did that. No, like camping out.
Speaker 3: No, we weren't that kind of obsessed with it.
Speaker 2: We weren't that family. No, we were not. And this was also about the same time as Tamagatchy, Yes, and Furby, those all happening at the same moment.
Speaker 3: I would say, within years of each other, if not at the same time. Did you have all of those things I did? I had a Tamagatchi, I remember I had a Tamagatchi, and I think I had a Ferbi too. Okay, but those kind of we got rid of those because there was some creepy about that.
Speaker 2: I think these ones we held on to. Tama Gotchi is an interesting surprise name for someone named Tammy. It's a cute name for it. It's a cuteness someone named Tammy. I mean to find out your full name is tama Gotcha's or a fun play name. Maybe annoying for them. I think we. I think I also had a Tamagatchi and a Ferby, but I don't remember, like, yeah, I remember being something I didn't take care of. It was like a novelty for maybe three days. Yeah, I don't immediately was dismissed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing about these toys. And I see it in my nephews now where I'm like, oh, you're not gonna like that in a week. You're not gonna like that in a week. And here we are giving this to you, like oh yeah, oh here, this will be the one. This will be the toy.
Speaker 2: This will be the toy they'll never get over. Is there anything for children right now? That's like a beanie baby that I don't know. Actually I'm not I should be. I should be up to date with that. I feel like my nieces were like collecting something with giant eyes, animals with giant like dogs. But I don't know what those were. Probably a beanie baby, maybe the very songs. I don't know. I don't know. I was I was too old for brats. Brats. Yeah, no, this is beyond breds. It's just like a very cute animal. I don't know. I don't know. I've got my niece's birthdays coming up in two weeks, and I need to find out what's good for an eight year old? I feel like eight is when you feel like at the school across the streelers, I'll just go stand to the fence. What sort of toys are you kids? No? I feel like eight was probably the age when I started appreciating getting money, yes, rather than so I could go buy a toy, yeah, rather than something being given to me. But yeah, I don't know what an eight year old cares for. Look into it. You came with no information. Maybe I give heard this beanie baby.
Speaker 3: I bet you'd like it, especially when you told her the price tag.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Should we open another object? Some of them?
Speaker 3: We can maybe go? Well, whatever, let's skip it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's here's the thing wrapped in white tissue. Oh god, oh, this feels like a coloring book. First of all, it's a Rachel Ray thirty Minute Meals book. But you know, usually with a cookbook, it's like a hard cover. Yeah, this is essentially a magazine.
Speaker 3: It's almost like the pages I meant to be ripped out.
Speaker 2: It feels like they're probably going to be activities to do inside.
Speaker 3: If you look inside. The design of it is the same way.
Speaker 2: Oh, Rachel did not want any care put into this cookbook. Not soever. We've got the Let's see. I wonder if this was an original run of the thing. Where did this come from?
Speaker 3: At the kitchen? Am I in the kitchen? I believe it or not? And it's like brand new, I know, but this is from I think this is from probably like two thousand and thirty.
Speaker 2: Right, the design everything, and Rachel looks twenty.
Speaker 3: Years She looks like somebody that we could ask about eight year old toys.
Speaker 2: Here. She's essentially an on the cover of this cook childlike it's a different era. And the I mean, the photo shoot is confusing. She's kind of hanging out over the top of these stove.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's nothing in the stuff in the pot. She's holding the lid.
Speaker 2: There's not even steam coming out of her hair is kind of just a chop. The ends look looks like, hey, like if you touched it, it would fall away. Her hair is dead, it is dead. She looks great. She I mean, she looks more joyful than she has in years. Year. This is when she was still you know, she had the heat, she had the hunger. Yes, let's see if this we can find the copyright. Let's see nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Wow, I really throwing it back here.
Speaker 2: Twenty five years old, and it is like it was just off the show. It's been like preserved airtight container.
Speaker 3: How is this?
Speaker 2: It was actually in the kitchen. Yes, how did it stay this? You?
Speaker 3: Well, clearly we haven't been making many thirty minute meals in this household. I've been having more like Thanksgiving state exactly. Yeah, but I think this was actually bought for me because I loved her. Did you read I loved her so much? What was the first thing she did that you loved? Did she have like did you launch a show first?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: That was how I first fell in love with her.
Speaker 2: And what was the first show she did? Was it a thirty minute meals?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: And I think the premise is the show is thirty minutes and by the time from start to finish, she will make a meal and there's no TV magic.
Speaker 2: It's like she does it. You watch it in real time, in real time? Yeah, Wow, that stresses me.
Speaker 3: I mean it's kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: Did you ever try or were you just watching?
Speaker 3: I think I did maybe once, but I think I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: You loved her personality.
Speaker 3: I was more in it to watch.
Speaker 2: I was it was a foyeuristic thing, right, Well I don't know about that, watching this woman in her home thirty minute slice of Rachel's day. But you were hooked immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really liked her, though I liked Ina Garten more. But oh of course she had two hers for her. They give her two slots back to back from five to six and it was two half hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, Yeah that's how popular she was. Wow. Yeah, she blew up almost immediately. Oh yeah, but I don't have much memory of her show. I just remember her being famous almost immediately. Yeah, I yeah, but I love cooking shows. I just I don't know why I didn't latch onto Rachel her.
Speaker 3: She got a little I will say it was quick. I got over her quickly, oh interest, which is maybe why the cookbook here wasn't used like some ferby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was kind of like, I want to really hunk her down and cook. I don't want to make these kind of thirty I'm not cooking for a family. I'm looking for me and I'm thirteen.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you were in love with her, how did that manifest itself? Just watching the show, watching the show, and I did it every day.
Speaker 3: I'd come home and I'd watch maybe two hours of Food Network every single day.
Speaker 2: Do you cook now? I do.
Speaker 3: I love cooking, Okay, and I really I enjoy it. I love cooking. I love learning about cooking. And I think it like started when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: A kid. But was she kind of your first chef love? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Her, definitely she was. And I also loved her other show that was twenty forty dollars a Day or something.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting. She had these real gimmicky shows things that we're just like, things are not going right for me exactly. Yeah, it's like I have no time, I have no money.
Speaker 3: I'm really trying to make it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That one. She would like go to the grocery store and spend No, she would go traveling. I'll go visit like a plane. So you're on the Yeah, this person is desperate. They're on the run, they have nowhere to turn exactly.
Speaker 3: When she's at home, she's in a rush, you know. But she'd go like to Sconnectady, New York and try to survive on twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: I was like out of the back of her van. Yeah, wow, I want to watch all of these I know it really was. I wonder if she's had them scrubbed. I don't know, are they still online? I could torrent them, find it. I would love to tourrent just gigs and gigs of Rachel Ray shows. Really. Okay, so that's but then you probably moved on to Aina. I did. That feels like a natural next step. This is more mature. This person has taste and exactly. Yeah, she's out there just kind of doing her thing, waiting for Jeffrey. And yes, but now you're just cooking on do you find recipes? What is your because I don't cook it all?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really, not a single thing. It's shameful.
Speaker 3: That's not you know what people say that Sometimes I'm like, it's not.
Speaker 2: I think it is. Some people.
Speaker 3: Listen, some people have to cook and some people have to eat, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But my boyfriend doesn't cook either. Oh well, then you're kind of screwed. It's a bad situation. Yeah, well you have Trader Joe's right. I mean, there's food in the world. It would be nice to just have, like the care Well, I'm really glad I gave you that book. I mean, thirty minute Maybe this is a good first step for me, I think it could be very much. How often are you cooking at home?
Speaker 3: You know, I cook like a big thing and then I'll like have it like paste it out over there. It's not like meal prepping, but I'll make like a big thing and then it'll be like last me a while.
Speaker 2: Like, so I am very this is something I could probably do, and I'm curious, like what is a big thing you'll cook.
Speaker 3: I'll make like a big thing of beans, and then I'll make like rice, and then I'll like maybe make some tofu like on the day of Oh, so it's it is kind of like meal prepping, right right. Or I'll make like chicken or like some kind of soup or something, or like grains, like a big thing of grains.
Speaker 2: And then it lasts you three to four days. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you don't get tired of it.
Speaker 3: I do by the last day. By the last day, we're kind of like, oh god, here we go. More black beans. Okay, let's see how we can black beans again.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: You have to really learn how much you should make because sometimes you can go off and it's just you're trapped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I assume beans are hard they can be. I wouldn't how to measure out a bean for several days.
Speaker 3: I'm still learning, and I've been doing it for.
Speaker 2: A while, always learning. Have you ever seen Rachel or Aina in person? No? I did.
Speaker 3: I saw Jada, well not, this is the dumb person between someone exactly.
Speaker 2: Jiada.
Speaker 3: I saw once on the street, Yeah, begging after the show get went away?
Speaker 2: She kind of no.
Speaker 3: She was walking out of a like a yogurt store, like a yog frozen yogurt place, and I thought, wow, my god, I was blown away.
Speaker 2: Did you see what sort of yogurt she was eating? I didn't. I'm so curious.
Speaker 3: She kind of proud, I think she I don't even know if I looked at that, I was looking at her face.
Speaker 2: You needed to get the fall. I would have been walking up and just taking a little bit. I know. I should have taken a picture. You should have ultimately been a popular Yeah. No, I would love to see any of these women in person. I've got a make a better effort. Over the holidays. We drove by Inina's house. Oh where it's in the hamp tanpas, Yes, yeah, and uh, you could just walk up to the door. Really, Yeah, it's very exposed. I don't know if she lives there anymore, but some friends told us this is where her house. Did you play ding dong ditch? Did you throw a pebble?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I should have just gone up and ran could have happened. Can you teach me to cook? What's wrong with harassing a celebrity? Fact?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm blown away by that. I would have expected it to be behind a gate or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Maybe I don't remember there being any I feel like it was just the lawn up to the house. Wow. But I feel like probably within that community people are respecting. Maybe. Yeah, I think a lot of people. She's not the sort of celebrity that drives people crazy. No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You should have talked to me when I was fifteen.
Speaker 2: I was okay, so I have thirty minute meals. I wouldn't mind cooking something at some point. I obviously cooked during the pandemic, yeah, deep pandemic, but then immediately gave it up. Yeah. I don't blame you. I think I just got tired. Yeah, and I'm not skilled enough, but I still bake. So, oh yeah, that's harder. It's not harder, it's way easier. Okay, it's simply following instructions, fair enough. Yeah, whereas with cooking, I assume you're actually putting thought into there's a little more improvisation. Yeah right, definitely right. I can't have anything go wrong or freak out. Okay, so.
Speaker 3: Told me at the beginning of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Really relax, you freak out. So just keep that in mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Should I open the next gift? Yes, definitely. Is this also from nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, around that time, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Run wrapping, run rapping. Oh my god, this really is. Oh this is a fascinating combination.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, let's just put it on the table. There's CD ROMs. They're CD ROMs. Well, isn't music CD called a CD ROM or is it just software? No, well, I guess you'd just say CD. We bring up an interesting question, you do, and I think I.
Speaker 3: Think it's just CD for music and then CD ROM for software.
Speaker 2: Right, so one of these is a CD ROM and the other is a CD for Hanson's Middle of Nowhere. That's right. This was the first U single I ever bought, really bought a cassette tape at Walmart. Oh my god. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, well I mean what other single would I have? Yeah? What if I named another you know, I a single other song of theirs? And I think it was on a cassette type. Yeah, definitely. This was maybe like the first run of CDs. Wow, what's your history with Hanson? I don't It's all there, that's it.
Speaker 1: It is that.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if this has ever been opened. Yeah, I'm looking at it, and let's see is there a CD inside?
Speaker 2: Let's see there is?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it the one? Yeah? It is, Oh my god, perfect condition. It's absolutely pristine.
Speaker 3: What if I gave you something this? All of these are worth like ten grand?
Speaker 2: Just ruined yourself financially. Yeah. Really, I don't think I ever bought the full album. So you saw this CD? I mean, like, look how new this is?
Speaker 3: It looks I don't know how this is possible. This is I mean, it's actually as if they've been in like a temperature control the environment.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not faded in any way. It's crisp as the day it was born, and they are all the lyrics inside. You're not getting this in a modern I mean, can you buy a CD?
Speaker 3: I maybe or maybe even more likely by like the vinyl right.
Speaker 2: The vinyl right. But this is a I mean, you get all of the lyrics. I wonder if there's a thank you. I always loved the thank yous within the CD thing. Let's see guitar. Now where they're from? Oklahoma? Wow? And now I'm obviously at some point was a thing you were a big fan. Yeah, John, would this fact check that? I'm almost positive Oklahoma? That feels right. They seem so Australian to me. Interesting, you know what I mean? They have the sunny energy, so Australian Tulsa, Oklahoma. There we go. Don't challenge me, Okay, it says thanks to Bill Coben, No, these aren't very Oh thanks to Jeff Rabhand for his ears, you know, part of the team.
Speaker 3: Anyone that we that we've canceled since the release.
Speaker 2: Of Friends and Family, Dad and Mom, Walker and Diana. They have old older sisters and a brother. Oh that that hurts to hear when they're such a family oriented thing, and siblings were left find a place in the band. Yeah for them and our deepest thanks to the one plants and waters and causes all things to grow.
Speaker 3: To him at the end to be like the one we're talking about.
Speaker 2: God, let's just leave it a little vague, yeah, exactly, will keep everybody involved, yeah, the one, but the one hasn't officially been canceled yet, not quite. Yeah, okay, so you bought this CD I remember, Yeah, my friend Tyson introduced me to them because he had cable and had MTV. Yeah, and it was immediately Gaga, absolutely for this song, got the cassette, and then never. I guess it was one of those things when you're that age, you're just kind of almost immediately over it. Definitely, definitely Yeah. And then I think I was on to Lenny Kravitz for about thirty seconds, okay, and then it was that thing you do oh and then that kind of was like the official launching into like music, like the music exactly. And then that was just the beginning stage, right of liking music, right, which is an interesting thing because it's a fake band. It is not real. No, Hansen, that thing you do back. I don't remember what their name was, the Wonders Wonder, but I was spelled right right right. What happened for you after Hanson?
Speaker 3: Well, I really I think this was more something for my sister. I think I just I think I just gifted something that was my sister's.
Speaker 2: Who was your first kind of band? Tweet? Tweet? Do you know? Oops? Oh my?
Speaker 3: I don't know anything about This was an R and B singer, okay, and she had one kind of a one hit wonder and it was this song called oops oh my, and it was about I think masturbating.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and I exactly I had no idea that was what it was about, but I was, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I listened to this song day in, day out, and then my next song that I loved with this other really gay song by this I think Australian electronic band called Madison Avenue and it was called Don't Call Me Baby, and that was that was kind of it. It was like those two songs on repeat.
Speaker 2: All of those people are dead now they're all gone. Yeah, no one's heard of any of them. You know, Well that's they're both really good. I will say, they're introducing you to them.
Speaker 3: I think I just saw them on MTV like Late at Night.
Speaker 2: Tweet and Madison at madisine at It was a horrible name, Oh oh my god, but this song is so good? Is it also? R and b No.
Speaker 3: That is like it's like electronic like clubby like music. It's so gay, Like if I if it came on to the club now, I'd be like, tweet is it t w e E T Yeah, like a bird.
Speaker 2: Wow, so ahead of their time. I know, Wow, it's gone too soon. I know.
Speaker 3: I think there might be one song on their one other song that's okay, but okay.
Speaker 2: And the rest is that was a period when it felt like you really could have one song and then just fill a CD with garbage. Oh definitely. I mean, Hansoon, we're looking at one right here. I we don't know any of this. What's another title? No thought was put into this. The first is called thinking of You? Okay, then we haven't bop number three is weird? Oh yeah? Another one? Uh speechless? Where's the love this is? I mean it's just like a filler CD. Definitely, just like home filler, Like a realtter would put this on a T like this is where the teen would live your book Look at you, Lucy, I will come to you a minute without you, Madeleine with you in your dreams. And then there's a bonus track for CD man for Milwaukee the Garage mix.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, the other mix of man for They didn't want to put that one out yet.
Speaker 2: De Yeah, no one has heard any of these other songs. Your book feels like they were aiming for their audience. I know they were truly children they look yeah, but it was aimed at kind of everybody I know that does that happening, does feel like it. I don't feel like any adult is being marketed music by a nine year old anymore. Not quite right, I don't think so. I mean, I don't pay attention to that, right, But I feel like the youngest pop stars are in like their seventeen eighteen, yeah, late teens. Olivia Rodriguez right right, and she feels like the youngest successful one. I feel like her ken her peer. But at this period, I think at least two of them were like ten years old.
Speaker 3: They look tiny. Yeah, they look so young, and.
Speaker 2: Then the oldest one kind of looks like a haggard mom. Definitely. Yeah, he's the caretaker, he's the Yeah. He ultimately got custody of them. Yeah. Okay, so we have Hansoon and then you had those two. Hanson was my first band. I think then there was just a large dry period I think where I didn't listen to music at all.
Speaker 3: Oh, you were kind of listening to Bob for a while, over and over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just burning it. I heard it recently and I thought, oh, that is a catchy piece of music. Definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I say that nice when that happens when you hear when you hear a song that you thought, oh, it must be trash. I didn't have good taste back then, but I loved it, and then you hear it again, you're like, wait a minute, I'll.
Speaker 2: Give myself some respect. This song is good.
Speaker 3: It's actually I liked it, and I deserved to like it because it's a good song.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That is a good feeling, because most of the things you like as a young person are usually garbage. Yes, pure really. Yeah, mmbop is a song that's I can see why it sold millions of copies. Yes. Can you think of anything you've gone back to that's been bad? You're like, oh, well that's a shame, not a thing. It's actually kind of hard. Well hmmm, no, yeah, I guess I can't. I think I like everything that I like, so yeah, I'm like I feel like there was probably some of those like late nineties singles that I'd probably like, Wow, Natalie and nobody. Oh yeah, but I like it. Okay, I need to listen to it again.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful. There was indecision.
Speaker 2: What was the Meredith, Oh what is that Brooks Brooks, that sounds right, She's sang a song called Bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the one. Another one hit Wonder, I think, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I remember. I think it was in like eighth grade or something, and there was like a school dance and I put in her request for that song playing looking at each other. That's so funny. Yeah, those are the two big ones I can remember. I mean, then there are bends like third Eye Blind, things like that, like I don't think I would in that one.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't. I don't know if I would have like that now.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I'm throwing them on up. There was like that period of like new metal. Yeah that is biscuit kid rock. That is just objectively bad musick. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But even then, it's like there's some time and place for everything you can listen to that.
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 2: I can get into Creed even yes, which song higher.
Speaker 3: I can get into it. I can really listen to higher and like I am. I cannot believe I am a gay man listening to Creed right now?
Speaker 2: In what situation would you listen to it? Privately? But even but maybe I dip my toes. Oh, let's play this song. Let's put this song? What's this?
Speaker 3: I'll try this and play it in front of friends just to see.
Speaker 2: But you can.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's actually kind of it's you can get into it.
Speaker 2: And you're able to listen to it and enjoy it. Sincerely.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wow, that's inaudible. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: Powerful piece of music, I know, absolutely powerful. I can't remember. There are other songs.
Speaker 3: I think maybe that's it. Yeah, now there's a couple.
Speaker 2: But then I think of the other songs. I think of Ore, I think Nickelback's songs. John is what course? Thank you for that? Yeah? I was going to say, is higher than one about having a baby, but having one, I don't know if I like that one as much. Well, you're not a father, I'm not yet. It's gonna hit pretty hard.
Speaker 3: The second I exit that adoption agency.
Speaker 2: They just hear that blasting out of your car like another happy baby baby screaming in the back. Oh, wow. Okay, and then we of course we haven't even talked about the second CD rare in backyard. Do you do you know about this? I'm not familiar with this.
Speaker 3: Well, this one is kind of a deep cut.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: This was like one of the first like computer games. And it's this very very beautiful world where everybody plays sports and everybody's good at sports and we can have we can have everybody have fun playing sports.
Speaker 2: Very inclusive.
Speaker 3: It's very inclusive. There's like players on there who you can play. There's like a person in a wheelchair who's playing football and he's the star player. It's not kind of thing. Oh, this is wonderful and you can click around. It's very rudimentary.
Speaker 2: It's for kids.
Speaker 3: I think it says five five to ten. It's a big gap, Yes, big intelligence gap.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they're trying to sell more. Yeah, five to thirty.
Speaker 3: Squeeze them in there exactly. But oh, well, this is worth what how much is it worth?
Speaker 2: John is showing us you're lying and it's being sold for one hundred and sixty six dollars. What is the value of what I just gave you? This is like you win, you would win this on the prices.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm blowing away. There's no way what what is this worth?
Speaker 2: Anything?
Speaker 3: Is the CD inside? That's the thing I kind of grabbed it. Oh no, wait, so what's in there? What's inside there?
Speaker 2: Pocon animated story? This is a completely different thing. I guess is probably like a you probably click through a story or something. Well, how much is that one? I've been totally blindsided by whatever. Really we're combined. Maybe this was a factory defect, like you got that storybook in the football game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one's the one that's really worth thirty five k oh, this is shocking Alan away by that.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a surprise I'm opening. I'm going to see the quality of this again. Well a little smudge, a little jam or some twenty I mean still to be paying twenty dollars for this in twenty twenty four is an interesting thing too. Wow. Wow, so wow, I don't even I'm speechless.
Speaker 3: I think absolutely anyone would be rendered speechless.
Speaker 2: Year. But you were playing backyard football. I was.
Speaker 3: But backyard baseball is the one that I think people played really Okay, it's a little easier to play I think on the on the computer, and like it's just the iconic version of Backyard Sports. Okay, but it's like one of the very first like computer games that came out.
Speaker 2: I didn't get you into.
Speaker 3: Sports, no, no, no, no no. It got me into equality, your first peak exactly. It got me into imagining a better future. But that's about it.
Speaker 2: But did you enjoy playing the game? Yeah? I did.
Speaker 3: I played it with my friend Jason, so you could play two players, well kind of one of them would kind of be sitting next to you.
Speaker 2: I mean it looks like crap.
Speaker 3: It definitely definitely wasn't a beautiful game, just kind of click around.
Speaker 2: You definitely click around. Yeah. Yeah, gosh, it's a kid's version of some of NBA. Oh it has kid versions of the players like Dan Marino's. Oh that did not hit home with me. You over who cares? Yeah, exactly. Did you play other video games? I did?
Speaker 3: Well, what I would really do is I'd go home and play World of Warcraft and watch and watch Rachel Ray at the same time.
Speaker 2: That was the missing piece. Wow, multitasking such an interesting.
Speaker 3: I needed the sound and then the visual experience.
Speaker 2: World of Warcraft is online. Yes, were you really deep into that? Yeah? Oh man? Yeah, for how long? Years. Would you like have friends on it? How does? I don't really know how it works.
Speaker 3: You could make friends, but they were far away. And then there was one time I had like a real life friend who played it once, and it was kind of like, let's just keep this private, let's not really engage with each other in that dimension.
Speaker 2: We're showing sides of ourselves at home.
Speaker 3: But oh man, it really got me hooked. But it was a little too mask so I needed the like sound in the background. Really that combo really hits. I will say, that makes perfect sense to me. Yeah, right, that makes absolute sense. And so but you get into the game, you like create a little man or once and just run around killing things.
Speaker 2: Is that yeah, essentially.
Speaker 3: Requests killing things? And it was a slog was I mean months months to get like to the point where you're.
Speaker 2: Done kind of Oh so there is an end to it, well kind of.
Speaker 3: But they kept adding things and then you got to the max level and then you did like little more quests and you wanted to get like fancier items and things, right, and that was kind of where the game really started. But I don't think I got to that point. I think I I kind of you.
Speaker 2: Were done with it, I think so. And are you do you have to buy things with real world money or is this before that sort of thing you had to pay a subscription? Right?
Speaker 3: So right, I'm not sure how that where that money came from. But I have an idea.
Speaker 2: Where your parents ever concerned. Were that ever, like, Joe, please stop playing video playing this? Yes? Definitely, definitely definitely And with your.
Speaker 3: Parents, no, I think I got good grades and I was a good kid, so they were kind of like something must be working in all this. But yeah, it was man, it was fun and I have like nostalgia now.
Speaker 2: Have I tried to go back and play, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have, and it's not quite the same, but it's it's funny, like I really have, Like some people reminisce about like being on the soccer field, and I literally reminisce about running through tears.
Speaker 2: Fall glades like in you know, It's wild, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have a lot of nostalgia tied to video games. And did you you played video games? Oh? Yeah, I mean I think it was a similar thing where I played them NonStop, and I think my parents had like a hovering concern that was never real. I remember my dad, I think at one point tried to stop me from getting a Nintendo sixty four, but my mom ultimately won over. I think they were like, well, what else is he going to do? Yeh, he's found something. This thing is not capable of anything, just leave him alone. Wait, so what did you play? Like Zeldazelda Banjo kazuis ah, my gotcha? Yes, and then you know, just I played video games now still obviously yes, it kind of progressed from there, but I've never kind of gotten into like violent video games. They stress me out. I agree. I'll like, occasionally people will be talking about a violent video game. I'm like, I have to try this, and then I am panicking, like this isn't why I would play this. Yeah, I don't want to be scared. Resident Evil my brother played. I've played one of those, and I did enjoy it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of cute now, like in hindsight, they're really bad graphics, But when I first came out, I was really scared.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course, really really really scared, horrifying. Yeah yeah, I tried playing Resident Evil four recently and I was still scared to death, screaming. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I like, I don't like being with the controller when you're scared. I don't play well in those conditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need something it's a little bit more laid back and soothing. Yes, definitely kind of a Soma type thing. Are you playing any video games right now? No, I'm not. I wish what a shame.
Speaker 3: I did play something recently. I played Balder's Gate.
Speaker 2: People love that thing. It is Oh my god, people go, yeah, this is the reaction I've heard from every single person. Incredible, And I don't understand what's happening. Well, you can have sex, well, I've played the Sims show, but you can see it this time.
Speaker 3: What kind of Yes, and they're not just doing missionary straight guy girl, they're going there's pegging.
Speaker 2: They do it all what yeah? Why?
Speaker 3: And you can do everyone's Everyone's pan, everyone's boat.
Speaker 2: Yes. So it's kind of the backyard football modern video games. Yeah, it's the kind of logical conclusion of that. It also character Yeah that's funny. Well that's interesting. So you're basically like choosing what's happening in every element.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything is like a choice. You're kind of you're very in control and you have these very serious, like moral dilemmas. You have to wow pick and there's pros and cons to each. It's very fun.
Speaker 2: It feels like it would completely take over your life. Well, yes, maybe I should give it a shot, but I've never played because it's like Dungeons and Dragons. It's exactly dungeons. So you've played Dungeons. I hadn't until okay and I could play it. Then have you played it? I never played Dungeons and Dragons, so I thought, oh, this will be over my head.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they make it very accessible. They don't even advertise it as Dungeons and Dragons. I was, well, this is different, this is a different thing. And then I had someone tell me after the fact that it's the same.
Speaker 2: Thing, and they're so ashamed. I know, it's like, why hide that? You know? What are you scared of?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows? I know, how do I even know? I know? Yeah, it's really good though, Yeah, okay, well maybe I'll try that. I mean, it sounds absolutely out of control. The sex thing. I just I know, interesting that like a whole group of adults was working to make this happen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they keep adding more sex hot fix, there's more sex. We added a hot fix, so there's more sex scenes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, do we have anything left to say about Backyard? I mean this treasure trope that I've gotten, I know, what are you going to do with it? I have I'm buying a car, two snowmobiles, job of course. No, these will clutter my home for a long definitely coasters, yes, yeah, so then eventually I'll I'll die and my nieces will be like, well, what what do we do with any of them? They'll be even more valuable. Yeah, I mean imagine.
Speaker 3: I hope you have a proper storage unit for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I could be on Storage Wars at some point, I hope. So I'm going to fake my death in order to be on Storage Wars. Have a whole thing full of stuff, fake my death and then they open it. I've got a count. I need to think through the details, but it could work. I think it's a brilliant idea. Well, I think it's time to play a game. We're going to play a game called Gift or a Curse, and I need a number between one and ten from you. Uh two, Okay, I have to do a little bit of light calculating to get our game pieces. So right now you can promote, recommend, do whatever.
Speaker 3: You want with the microph. I see, well, I don't. I wanted to promote my I always feel weird promoting. But you guys can follow me on my social media at Joe Castle Baker and I produce shows monthly in Brooklyn, and I do shows in LA sometimes. And yeah, you can catch me on TV on some TV shows and you can look me up on IMDb where I where I really shine the brightest.
Speaker 2: That's great. I mean, promoting something is the most uncomfortable thing in the world, in the world, especially when I just blindside you with it. No, but you did an excellent show. Thank you so much. Buddy followed Joe, go harass Joe. This is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm going to name three things you're going to tell me if they're do not look at the screen, Okay, I won't.
Speaker 3: I'm blind by the way, I can't see anything asks one foot in front of me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna name three things. You'll tell me if there each one is a gift or a curse and why? Okay, And then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong, because they're correct answers and you can lose. Okay, this number first one is from a listener named Parker Gift or a curse No show socks curse? Why? Well, first of all, what are you scared of? What are you trying to hide?
Speaker 3: And also what you think your ankles are so beautiful? Let's you know, have a little humility and show show those socks.
Speaker 2: We know they're there.
Speaker 3: And so I think it's a curse. I think it's for people who have everything wrong about society.
Speaker 2: Joe wrong. What a horrible way you're lying.
Speaker 1: What gift?
Speaker 2: There's a time and a season for everything. Sure, no show socks. They've got to have a purpus.
Speaker 3: I'm really scared where we're sitting here.
Speaker 2: Maybe some people their only good quality is their ankle, and what are they supposed to.
Speaker 3: So you are so right, that is not the backyard football thing for me to write.
Speaker 2: You've got to be a little bit more, you know, just entirely positive about everything, including the ankle. Okay, and the no show sock is maybe for that sort of person, yes, And also you know, maybe somebody over invested in no show socks and they're thinking, well, now I want to knee sock, but I've got too many of these and they feel horrible.
Speaker 3: This is really painting a picture that's changing my mind.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm hoping that there's some level of guilt surging through your body. Okay, so one is wrong so far, and that's bad. Number two This is from a listener named Ben Gift or a curse food adjectives for non food items, for example, on My Lottery dream Home. In quotes this yummy closet. That was the word I was thinking of, too.
Speaker 3: Absolute curse, absolute curse. I just I find it to be very perverse, and I use that word very I don't use it lightly. Let's just say that I think when we start accusing people of being perverts, it goes to a new level of almost like a witch hunt. And this is where the witch hunt needs to go. People that say yum, yummy, ooh that looks so delose or even sexy about something that's not sexual, that too feels similar. I'm like, oh, God, like got a grip, you know, Like it's like it's like your mind is so loose that you can't even think. Everything's kind of blending, you know, have some you know pull up those socks and start using the right word. You know, that's what I would think, Joe, wrong, You're lying, is what's going on here.
Speaker 2: This is a gift. To hear somebody say yummy in any situation is a shock to the system. And I absolutely I mean talk about feeling alive to be in the presence of someone who's called something a yummy closet. Oh god, we should be using all kinds of food adjectives. Melt in your mouth that could be used for anybody. This melt in your mouth microphone I'm holding right now, this backyard is absolutely melt in your mouth. It makes sense. Okay, wrong again and everyone is disappointed. I bet we've lost a lot of listeners. Just kind of turn it off, wait for the next episode, and that's okay. You've gotten zero so far. Number three. This is from a listener named Jennifer Gift or a curse typing in www dot before a website.
Speaker 3: I say, Gift, Why, well, I think it's almost kind of like somebody who makes their own yogurt or something like that, you know, like it's like you don't need to, you don't need to.
Speaker 2: We've made it easier for you.
Speaker 3: But it's almost like we're reminding ourselves of a time that's not here anymore, and it's this it's almost kind of like getting back to the basics in this beautiful way. So I think it's a gift. And how much does it cost? What a second of your time? I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Correct, there we go. You got a point. Thank god, that's a gift, putting in the little extra work, show some respect to the U r L. Exactly. I think it's nice. It is kind of a farm to table type thing, you know, very we're just uh talking about yet that Yeah, that is a yummy you are exactly, Yeah, absolutely right. I mean you said it so beautifully. I can't even add to that. And I'm glad you got one point. I'm glad too, because we were all rooting for you ultimately, and if you had lost, I don't know what would have happened.
Speaker 3: I'm noticing a theme here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna stay true to my guns and say when it's a curse, even when I don't, even when society might be a.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you got one right. I think it's time for the final segment of the podcast. This is called. I said, no emails, people write into I said, no gifts at gmail dot com. Desperate for answers, begging, just pleading for help. Will you help me answer a question? Yeah? Okay, this is deer Bridger and guest. My husband turns forty this year and I am unsure what to get him. Turning forty seems like an event, but he has given no indication how he would like to spend his birthday or what he would like. He loves running Formula one, racing and making things. That's a very broad thing or whatever. The tricky part is that I turn forty only six weeks after him. Anything I do for his birthday sets the bar for mine, so if I do something big, he may feel obligated to do something over the top for me. Plus, I am worried that all my ideas are actually how I would want to spend my day slash gifts I would want, so I'm having a hard time making a decision. Last part is that I always think I have a good idea for him, and he is regularly underwhelmed. This adds to my indecision. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you, And that's from Katie, whoa, I mean dump him? Yes? Are you ever liked any of her gifts?
Speaker 3: And spend some time thinking about yourself? You know, I'm blown away. I don't know where to even begin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you get for a forty year old man who wants to who likes racing cars and running? Guess he likes to go fast of speed? Yeah? What's a third fast object you could get this person? Tesla?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I am in I guess you know what. Don't worry about your birthday. Let him handle that. That'll take one thing off the table.
Speaker 2: Stop worrying about yourself.
Speaker 3: It'sop worrying about yourself. Quit being self exactly, and maybe you can buy a better guess.
Speaker 2: Think more about your husband. Think about your husband constantly. Yes, this man who doesn't care about anything you've ever given him exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think you have to. I wish you had told us what you had given him in the past.
Speaker 2: Right that's been yeah exactly, because I mean she only knows three things about him. I know how long have you been together? I mean it's probably decades. I imagine probably forty years.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, it's one of those infancy marriages. Yeah, I don't even know. I think, I mean, why, no doubt, give four gifts, that's how I get Yeah, do multiple gifts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like it's kind of a throwing what does the phrase throwing spaghetti? Yes, exactly, something will stick exactly. And if he's unhappy with all of them, then he's obviously trying to undermine her exactly. And what's going on there? Right, there's trouble brewing. There's divorce in the future, yes, which we do recommend. Yes, hire an attorney right now. Yeah, maybe that's the gift she always wants to spend the day with a uh, divorce, Katie, you have so many options here. I don't even know if we have anything else we can say about this.
Speaker 3: I would say, go on a trip. Go on a trip so that he can maybe discover new interests.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, right, yeah, yeah, go somewhere that doesn't involve where he won't be able to run, where he can slow down. Yeah, somewhere with a hammock exactly, spa I recommended a spat earlier on this podcast, exactly. I mean, go to that one that could take care of a lot of books for you, Katie. Yes, I think we answered it perfectly, I agree, And if she complains, then she's obviously catching this from her husband. And it's a poisonous relationship varies. It's spreading out into podcasts, Yes, toxic. A bit at home, Katie. Happy fortieth birthday to you and yours. Don't write back, Joe. I can't believe the retail value of what you've given me today. I can't either. Devastating. I'm blown away.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm really lucky that I'm going to find that Backyard Football CD run back home.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like this is a moral dilemma.
Speaker 3: For me, I know, I mean, how much is that Hanson CD. We didn't even look up the Hanson CD or the cookbook? God knows how much. I'm told you know how much value there is there?
Speaker 2: Right, I'm sure this is probably over fifty thousand dollars gifts, and so I could probably take off a year of podcasting just stop, just give it up, you know, and go treat myself. Yes, exactly, go on a little vacation with hadian husband. Well, thank you for being here. I've had a wonderful time. Likewise, thanks for having me listener. The podcast is over. If you hadn't already left. It's time to stop, and you're listening. Do something else with your day. I love you, goodbye, I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Analise Nilson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guests. Booker Patrick Coottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Man. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no Gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts? And I invited you hear.
Speaker 1: Though a man myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to Ma, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no gifts. Your presences presence enough, and I'm already too much stuff, So how do you dare to survey me