Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. Hi you guys, So we just had a big holiday. It was Father's Day, yay.
Speaker 2: But you know, I have a question about that. So Daddy's everywhere.
Speaker 1: We love you so much. But I gotta say I kind of feel like, as a single mom of five now in my household, I'm kind of the daddy now too, So I feel like I should have been celebrated for the father the daddy I am, but I wouldn't have put that on my kids. They were quite happy celebrating their father. But Father's Day is such a great day. And and I know, like my little guy Bo who's eight, is always like what's the next holiday? He literally he's a time guy, totally not my son in that respect, and he's like a planner, not my kid in that respect.
Speaker 2: But creatively he's all me.
Speaker 1: But he will always be like, you know, mom, I need to know, like what is the next holiday coming up in the year. And you know there's the massive holidays. You know, there's Christmas and there's well, gosh, well, we celebrate all holidays basically, so you know, in winter, we celebrate Christmas, but we also celebrate Hanukkah because my side of the family were Jewish, but growing up even we always celebrated both holidays during you know, wintertime because my parents believed it wasn't from a religious standpoint, it was from a family celebrating getting together and being together and learning about different holidays together.
Speaker 2: I loved that, so I really took that to.
Speaker 1: Heart when I was raising my kids. So we celebrate Easter, we celebrate Passover, we sell you know, everything. So Bo was very much like, he was like, so there's Mother's Day. So in our house, here's the holiday timeline. It was Mother's Day, then it was my birthday, then it was Stella's birthday. And then he was like, what's the next holiday. And I was like, I should call it something else. It's not like a holiday. Well, it can be a holiday a to us birth our birthdays. But I was like, it's Father's Day. So anyway we as a family celebrate it with Dean because I don't know, it's Father's Day, it's your day. But he and I in that respect. You know, there's different for moms, like you know, on Mother's Day, some moms are like, you know, I want my partner to take the kids. I want the day off, I want to go get a massage. I'm not that mom. I'm like, this is all about them, which is so very tory, like it's all about everyone else, not about me, But it's the truth in my brain. So for Mother's Day, you know, it's kind of like whatever the kids want to do. And it was really cute, like the kids wanted to grill. I'm a great cook. I'm a great like I'm a d iy home chef. I call myself great baker, not a grill master. And that was one of the things that Dean is really great at grilling.
Speaker 2: So when we did separate households.
Speaker 1: And that was the one thing that kids would be like, oh, you know, we're used to, you know, grilling burgers and grilling steaks and the grill and you know, hot dogs and stuff and going to the pool on weekends. And I was just like, ooh, now I have to be gosh, single mom. Now I'm becoming a daddy in my household, and now I have to become a grill master. The grill used to be the bane of my existence. But I am happy to report anyone that knows me well knows that, like I was like, I can make anything, but I had like an.
Speaker 2: Aversion to the grill. I was always like.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, no, no, I don't know anything about grilling. Dean does that, Dad does that. But you know in my house, you know, I now am for everything. So I've officially learned a grill. I am pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: I learned really quickly, thank you too.
Speaker 1: Of course, you know, I had to get like the apron just because I'm not girl. Thank you Etsy. It says grill me daddy instead of calling me daddy. Grilled me daddy, and I wore that. It was really cute. It also made me reflect on my dad because I was like, oh my gosh, I am a self professed daddy's girl.
Speaker 2: Which I feel like is a whole different meeting nowadays. Yeah, growing up, I was like, my dad's my hero. I'm a daddy's girl. I'm a daddy's girl.
Speaker 1: And now you have to be careful when you say you're a daddy's girl, because people are it can mean something completely different if you know, you know. And it was interesting because my son, who was in first grade, he had his class party and it was the end of the year, and this was a few days before Father's Day, and I took my teens with me to his class party. Dean was working, he couldn't go. I went and took two of my teens and we're in the class and we're helping both make cupcakes and a crown hat and all this. And there's this little first grader and it says daddy's girl. She's a daddy's girl. I'm like, I was a daddy's girl growing up. Like it's so funny that now, like everybody like, oh, your daddy, like call me daddy.
Speaker 2: You know. It's just like it's a whole different.
Speaker 1: Sexual connotation now, but interesting, But growing up, I was a total daddy's girl.
Speaker 2: My dad was my hero, still is my hero. And I just remember.
Speaker 1: Always Father's Day like we and he was like that too. My mom and dad were the same, like on Mother's Day. On Father's Day, they didn't say like, oh, I'm gonna go do my own thing and it's my day. They were like, whatever the kids want to do. So this man, who was such a workaholic, worked such crazy hours during the week and on the weekends, he would always be like, whatever you guys.
Speaker 2: Want, I'm like, oh my gosh, I'm so him.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, so growing up and it's no longer there, but it was like his I've talked about it before on the podcast. A historical like restaurant landmark of like Hollywood Royalty called Chasin's and it was like I don't even know when it started, like in the twenties or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It was there forever.
Speaker 1: And when they shut it down it's now a Bristol Farms. There was like mega. People were like, oh my god, freaking out. But that was like our jam. Like I grew up going there every Sunday night. We would go for dinner and it was like fancy but like and every Hollywood star would just like walk through, walk through and come up to the table and talk to my dad. And if I could go back in time and be my age now and like do it now, I'd be like, oh my god, like, oh, I'd get selfies with all of them. But yeah, so Chasin's was a big thing. And Chasin's Chili. It was like a fancy, fancy restaurant and they had My dad went there so often that they had something called a Steak Diane and you can look it up like it's a certain sauce that you put on a steak and the way they make it, but he.
Speaker 2: Like altered it just a little bit for what he liked, so.
Speaker 1: It was called a steak aaron, so it would I would liken it too. How In and Out has a secret menu and like if you know, you know, and you can be like, you know, ps, I'll have that animal style, but it's like not on the menu. Well, my dad like coined that shit, like in the seventies, Like so if you knew about it, and like you know, of course he would tell all his stars like, oh, you should try it this way, and they'd be like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So it became super famous.
Speaker 1: I have to find the recipe. It's somewhere online, I bet. But it became super famous and people would come in and be like, not on the menu, but I'll have the steak erin and the you know, they would be like gotcha, and they knew about it. So that was a big thing. But I was a kid, so I need steak aaron. But the chili. They were known for their chili, which is so funny because you would have like mater D's and waiters and waitresses dressed.
Speaker 2: In like black almost black tie service.
Speaker 1: And they were serving like a comfort food chuli.
Speaker 2: But it was the best chili over God. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I loved it so much that we went there on Father's Day for sure every year.
Speaker 2: But we would also play this game because.
Speaker 1: My dad and I very like creative, like visionaries, like you know, and kids want to do like make believe and play this, and most kids are like, I want to play make believe and I you know, you're you know, you're the prince and I'm the princess, and like you know, or a fairy tale or like silly things like your Monster's coming to get me.
Speaker 2: No. I've always been a foodie.
Speaker 1: So my favorite thing to do, and we would do this on the weekends is we would get in our jacuzzi at our house and I'd be like, Okay, we're going to play Chasins and my dad would pretend to be a patron coming into Chasins.
Speaker 2: I would take his order.
Speaker 1: And I'd be like can I get you this? And I'd be like, oh, sir, I know you regular customer. You want the off the menu steak erin And He's like, why yes, please, And I'd be like great, to start with, would you would you like to start with a Caesar salad or a cup of our famous chili. Like it was just such a funny thing for like a five six year old to be playing at the pool with her father. But yeah, we would go on and on and play Chasins for days. I'd have friends over and they'd be like, what's this Chasen's Like, we just want to like do backflips off the diving board. I know there's no diving boards anymore. Those were dangerous, but it was like the seventies and eighties. Anyway, we would do that or this was like a big thing on our weekends. And you know, father says always on a Sunday, So I'm just likening this. Two things we would do on the weekends is and it was always around the pool because we had a great pool and my dad loved relaxing at the pool and I loved doing that with him. So I would run to his briefcase and grab one of his scripts, or my mom had all of his like already made scripts like that were like TV series, movies, movies of the week, all leather bound in the entire room. So I would grab one of those and like come to the pool and be like I'll be the lead female, you be the lead male, and yeah, we would like read through his script and then I'd give notes and he'd always be like that is a good idea.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: He always listened to me. That's what's crazy. Like I used to I used to watch movies and even kids movies, and from the time I could start writing, I would always take into the movies.
Speaker 2: Well, we had a movie theater at our house. Don't judge me, you can judge me.
Speaker 1: But even when I went out to the movies, I would always take a little pad and I would always take a little pencil because every time I watched a movie, I would wait for the credits and I would write down actors, actresses, even kids that I saw in a movie, even people that had like two lines, but I was like, they'd be good. And I'd write down things, and i'd bring it home to my dad like an offering. Like you know, most kids, like you know, they make like painted rocks and like scribbles and hand them to their parents and be like, look what I made you. I'd come home with like a casting list always, like starting back when I was five, I'm not kidding, and I'd be like, oh, how was the movie.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, oh, the movie was great, but I just found you somebody. Anyway.
Speaker 1: We know how that all progress because you know, we've talked about and Jason's talked about and Shannon talked about it. How I had suggested them for nine oh two and zero, but I would do that and like Emma Sam's for Dynasty Colby's anyway. But yeah, it's just so funny to think of the relationship we had at such a young age, going back to talking about a daddy's girl and you think of a little girl, I'm thinking of this first grader going back that I saw sitting there with a Daddy's Girl t shirt on in first grade, and it's like, gosh, the things my brain was doing in the first grade, like just creating. Like he and I were just so aligned on that and that was really our thing. Like my dad was not the guy, like he didn't want to hear about boys. He didn't want to hear. You know, I would talk to my mom about that, but he didn't want to hear. Probably why Donna Martin State of virgin for eight seasons, like not probably I'm sure why, but yeah, you know, we would always talk about creatively creating things and what that would look like and I don't know, and I really I really value that and I think kids sometimes are not undervalued. But it's a different dynamic. And we think our kids like stay in their lane like they're kids, they're young, they don't know, and it's like if we really listen to our kids, like really listen to them, I think, no matter what workplace we're in, we'll learn stuff. And I think my dad was really good at that. He you know, he didn't treat me. He treated me like a kid like you know, but he also treated me like a valued human that had it that it was smart, that you know, was creative, that had something to offer. And I think to some degree that's why I talk a lot about this about my confidence. And I think on a personal level, my confidence, I'm working on that and it's trying to feel better about that. But on a business level, I am like super confident. And you know, I always say like, I don't know, I'm always like I don't know, I'm not worth anything. I don't feel good about myself, my looks, my but you get me in a business room, and I'm like, I will rule that room. I will go in and I will know exactly what I'm doing. I am super kind because that's the only thing I know to do. And my dad was super kind, like he led with his heart but ruled with his brain, if that makes sense, and that's what I do. And I don't know, just feeling like nostalgic and really grateful for him. Like growing up, my dad was like everything literally like summer vacations. Other kids wanted to go to camp, other kids wanted to, you know, do different things. I just wanted to go to work with my dad, like take your kid to work day. That was like my summers. And I would like literally hide under his desk. He would have like a massive office with executives.
Speaker 2: In all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm you know, stars and Starlet's coming in and out.
Speaker 2: It was like everything.
Speaker 1: But as a five year old, I was just like I knew, like I knew there was like a higher purpose for me. And I was like, yeah, I just want to lay under his desk and listen. So I'd be like that's I'm just going to lay here, and he was. He had a hard time saying no to me. I would like, bat my eyes, my big brown eyes, which are getting smaller now because they're sinking in because I'm fifty two.
Speaker 2: But when I was little, oh my god, not proportioned.
Speaker 1: So I was like this tiny, little like girl with these huge, like et brown eyes. With those eyes got me everything. I would bat my eyes and be like Dad, please, and he'd be like, okay, okay, just be quiet. I have really important meetings. Like there's like network executives.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This is like when I was little. He was at ABC predominantly, and they would all joke he would sell so many series to ABC that they like off the record, titled it Aaron's Broadcasting Company. My dad's name is Aaron Aaron spelling, so you know. And he had on like Fancy Island and.
Speaker 2: Love Bowed and Charlie s.
Speaker 1: It was like everything right during that era. So yeah, I would be under his desk and I would just listen, and I feel like my little brain was just like taking in so much. I definitely felt like for what I wanted to go into in life, and it was very different back then. Like now, our kids decide what they want to be at a young age. We see if you know they're creative, they're academic if they you know, and we kind of go with that flow. Well, you know, I was born in nineteen seventy three. Like when I went to school, it was like it wasn't talked about, like like you're five, like what do you want to be when you grow up? But you know, I my little brain like knew something. I knew that I was like, well, they say that apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and it's really true.
Speaker 2: Like I have a producer's brain.
Speaker 1: I literally go through life kind of seeing everything that happens in my life and everybody else's life through a producer's lens, like through a TV lens. It's kind of wild. It's a wild place in my brain. It's kind of fun to pick my brain sometimes if you ever have the chance in person. But yeah, I feel like I just took in so much intel and knowledge that it was like I subconsciously it wasn't talked about, but I knew what I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: Like did I want to be an actress?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Am I an actress?
Speaker 1: Yes? Do I love making people happy and smile and you know, take them out of their day to day by you know, giving them joy I watching, well, you would gather on your TV and watch in the living room. Now everyone's like, I'm watching it from my phone, I'm watching it from my laptop whatever. It's still about taking the outside and kind of minimizing that chaos that they're going through in the hard lives they're leading and whatever is going on in the world, and still giving them pure joy, entertainment and escapism. And that was my dad's goals. He's like even then, he'd be like, you know what, people have really hard days, Like they want to come home, they want to be you know, with their family and be able to gather around and watch TV. I mean, obviously, you know he did shows like Dynasty. It wasn't family shows. There was adult viewing as well, but he was like, you know, they want an escapism.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I just always learned that.
Speaker 1: And I'm still like climbing that hill and like kind of finding myself in my second chapter now. But I definitely I was gonna say, I hope I make my dad proud, but I actually know I make my dad proud, and I can't wait to be a version of him, Like you know, you kind of go with what the known is until you can make the unknown happen. And you know, what's the known? Like I'm a recognizable actress. I you know, got famous in the nineties, nine o two and oh Donna Martin, and so I always kind of put myself into things. But I can't wait one day to be like a full fledged producer like my dad, to you know, have my own production company, to be making things for other people to be in and I can just be behind the camera. I mean, let's face it, let's face and bodies. It's like, not gonna be young forever. Well, I guess it can be with all the plastic surgery out there nowadays, but I don't choose that. And I can't wait to be a version of him that everyone's like we knew it. We knew like she was like his mini me, am, and now I will be me but a version of my dad. This is this is all very I'm just like, I'm talking out of my brain right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's all my feels. Like I had all these feelings.
Speaker 1: Yesterday with Father's Day, like the first of the you know, viewing it from my kid's standpoint, But then I had you know, all those moments of being like thinking about my dad, really thinking.
Speaker 2: About my dad.
Speaker 1: And it was interesting because my dream I don't dream a lot. I'm not a big dreamer when they say we dream every night, so maybe I don't remember them, but anytime I do dream, they're very like I wish I could remember them, Like I last night, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I in my mind I.
Speaker 1: Wrote like the craziest coolest like series ever. I was like, God, if I could just wake up wait you guys, I saw this thing on Instagram. I don't know if it's true that there's now a device that they're starting to put out there that can record your dreams.
Speaker 2: That's not even possible, right, Like that's just.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, but if there was a way, that would be great, because we can like wake up in the morning in journal and like write down our dreams.
Speaker 2: But my dreams aren't about like you know, they say, like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: If you lose teeth in your dreams, like you know, it means you have the fear of something. You mean, you know, there's so many different It used to be like deciphering your dreams. You could read books what dreams meant, but my dreams aren't like that, Like my dreams are complete creations, Like I could sit back with popcorn and be watching my dream and damn, I just like, why just the coolest like Netflix like limited series I've ever seen. I'm like, Damn, how do I get that out of my head? Because it's all just vision and put that into something. Anyway, I didn't find it a coincidence that I create this badass like series last night in my dream when it was Father's Day. So thank you Daddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I just have to figure out what it all means and how to make it into a hit show.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope everyone had a great Father's Day.
Speaker 1: And like I'm saying, you know, mom's out there, you can be the daddy in your household, and you know, it's all kind of blending now. And I love how the world is now that it's kind of limitless of what it can be. And I feel like one day, maybe, like maybe one day we should just have a Parent's Day. We could still have one in May, we could still have one in June.
Speaker 2: Great, but.
Speaker 1: You know, being a parent, you're kind of the best of both worlds all of that. Anyway, I'm gonna go back to yesterday was my day as well well in my head. In my head, I celebrated my father who's in heaven but also somewhere deep down in my soul, and a text chain with my best friend Jess, because.
Speaker 2: If you ever saw our text.
Speaker 1: Chain me and Jess, it makes you smile. Anyway, I was very much like I should be celebrated today, and like I can only tell her this except by telling you guys this, but the days past, so it's okay, and I tell you guys everything. But yeah, so you know I was making jokes but I'll call me daddy. You know all that, la la la la.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was my day too.
Speaker 1: Pat on the back did well, grilled and yeah, Donna Martin daddy ates take that one.