Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey fam Today on the bright Side, author, Dancing with the Stars champ and former Bachelorette Hannah Brown is here to talk about her latest book, her Self Love Journey, and what it's like being reality TV royalty. It's Thursday, June thirteenth. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I guess you could say our guest today has really cracked the reality TV code.
Speaker 3: For sure, she has.
Speaker 1: It's wild, It's really wild how successful Hannah Brown has been on television screens. First, she stole hearts as a contestant on one of the buzziest seasons of the Bachelor, when former football player Colton Underwood was the leading man in the reality show. So a lot to talk about. There, so much dramas, so much drama. Then she came back as the bachelorette. So even though she was in seventh place on Colton season, you could say she won because she became the bachelor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was so beloved.
Speaker 1: Yes, and just as a little refresher in that season. It came down to two guys for Hannah, Tyler Cameron and Jed Wyatt, who she ultimately gave the last rows too, and we all know how that turned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Hannah broke up with Jed after she found out he was actually in a relationship while they were filming The Bachelorette.
Speaker 3: So brutal, but that didn't stop her.
Speaker 1: Later that same year, she went on Dancing with the Stars and won the Mirror Ball Trophy. And then just last year, she competed in and won Special Forces World's Toughest Test, which is this insanely physical competition where she was up against NFL players, NBA athletes, olympians, they were all taking orders from former military guys. It is so intense. I was so impressed with her performance on that show.
Speaker 2: I actually was impressed that you watched that show because I did not know that about you. You really loved it, But it also sounds like you loved her mental fortitude, which I have a lot of respect for.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. I mean, we've both watched The Bachelor. It's unfortunately we have It's not often that you see a former Bachelor contestant have this much longevity, you know, like she's been able to parlay it into a successful career and a successful enterprise.
Speaker 2: I mean beyond her reality TV domination, Hannah has added the title author and host to her resume. She has a podcast, and then in twenty twenty one, she became a published author. She wrote a memoir titled God Bless This Mess, which became an instant New York Times bestseller, and.
Speaker 1: Now she's released her debut romance novel titled Mistakes We Never Made. So the story follows Emma and Finn, who went from almost lovers to frenemies. Emma and Finn are then reunited at a mutual friend's wedding when their friend, the bride, goes missing. They're forced to work together to find her, and then the old feelings spark all over again. It's already a New York Times bestseller.
Speaker 2: Simon and I are going to find out what it's like for Hannah Brown to write her own happy ending.
Speaker 3: Here, Hannah Brown, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 4: Welcome Hannah.
Speaker 3: Hi, y'all, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Well, Hannah.
Speaker 1: Before we get into your book, I want to hear more about this title, Mistakes We Never Made, And I have kind of a fun retrospective question for you. What's a mistake you never made that you kind of wish you had.
Speaker 3: I love the title of the book and like the conversations that come from it, because I think a lot of the mistakes that we don't make are just things that we were like scared to do or to try. And a lot of times that's in love, but also in just taking risks for adventure and joy that we sometimes just deprive ourselves from. And this is a very silly one, but I think about it all the time. My family owned a summer camp for girls, and I could have gone at any time for free, for the whole thing, but I was so scared that, like I would have to be the person that like called my parents to come get me because I wouldn't be able to do it. But now I hear everybody's like fun summer camp stories, I'm like, I could have gone it anytime.
Speaker 2: Hannah, you went from living your love story publicly on The Bachelor and The Bachelorette to writing a love story in your new novel. It felt kind of like a perfect next step from the outside looking in. What inspired you to write a romance novel? And are we talking to the next Nora Roberts. What's happening here? I mean, that would be amazing. I would love to be the next Nora Roberts. But yeah, all of this happened just so kind of out of the blue for me. I didn't like think I would be a reality TV start on a dating show much less like that was not like something that I've put on my goals of twenty nineteen or whatever. I know, And I wasn't even really a person that watch shows like this, so it's kind of wild that that is where my start was from.
Speaker 3: But I always wanted to write a novel one day, Like I remember talking to my mom in like high school, early college, like saying, this would be a big goal of mine. So that this has been kind of the catalyst I'm so grateful for. Did you always love love? It's actually funny. I used to say I wanted to marry myself when I was little, So yeah, I've always loved the idea of love, but I haven't always been like consumed. That's why it's so funny that I was the girl that went on a TV show to find a husband, because I just wasn't that way. But then I think once I got in college, and I think the people that you're surrounded by can kind of make you start feeling the pressure of that. Like seven of my girlfriends in college got engaged their senior year, and so I do remember during that time of my life, and I was on the Bachelor, like right out of college, like feeling this like desire or almost like need to find love and to be married.
Speaker 4: Isn't that so wild? Looking back?
Speaker 3: It's so wild.
Speaker 4: You're so young.
Speaker 3: You have plenty of time, I know, and I was the young fungus Bachelorette that they've had. I thought it was so ready, and I'm like, I'm just now trying, like really understanding what love is. You know, people followed the journey of me trying to figure that out and and kind of coming to more conclusions daily of what that is, and then being able to kind of sprinkle that into the stories that I'm able to create. Really really cool.
Speaker 4: We're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more Hannah Brown.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 4: Hannah.
Speaker 2: You talked about how young you were during the Bachelorette, and I didn't even realize when I was watching the show that you were just twenty four when you were filming. You were pretty mature for a twenty four year old on reality TV?
Speaker 3: Oh was I? I mean there's some moments we could question the maturity level. But kind of what I want to ask you about.
Speaker 2: You know, we think about reality TV now, I think we're like twenty years into reality TV and we think that it's sort of contrived.
Speaker 3: Or written, but there are moments that are real. Okay, here's the thing I love when people ask me, like, is it all real? Like? Yes, it actually really is. Now, are there certain things that the television show or the series like has that you do? Like, first of all, you're not dating thirty people at a time, but you're also not giving out roses at a rose ceremony that lasts like hours long, Like yes, that is definitely scripted, even like who I Call First? Like that is scripted, but the feelings and the conversation is not as much. It's just you're in a bubble that is not reality. So it's real in that realm that is not real life. Even though it's very unconventional. I do not like advise dating that many people at one time. You do learn a lot about what you like, things that you might be like surprised that you like, and things that you surprisingly you don't about a relationship. So I'm grateful for it in a way, and it really helped and I really learned a lot about what I didn't want and that really helps me moving forward too.
Speaker 1: I remember watching your season and what you went through in the aftermath with Jed and everything, and it was it was so hard to watch from afar, so I can only imagine it was. It must have been horrible. It was horrible, but you handled it. You handled it so well. I mean I loved watching you on the Bachelorette. But Hannah, I have to say I think my favorite reality TV role of yours is on Fox's Special Forces World's Toughest Test, because girl talk about defining things, perceptions that people have of you, probably perceptions that you have of yourself. How did you surprise yourself? I mean, you won. We need to just put it out there that she won. Still impressive, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I talk about mental health quite a bit, because you know, I was on three reality shows in a year, and before that had never like I went to college in my hometown, Like my life changed so quickly, and then there was so much life lived in such a short amount of time, and a lot of like emotions. I don't e think I had dealt with in that anxiety and depression and everything like manifested even like in my body and what I was able to do. And I've always been pretty active and was not like didn't work out for like a full year and basically just did like physical therapy. And I haven't talked about it much because I can't quite understand like just how much all that took a toll, just my body in general, like how but remember I got the call for the show, and I just started working back out again, like feeling like I wasn't just going to like get hurt or have like so much inflammation. And they called it and I'm like, I'm so scared to do this because I didn't know if I could like handle the mental part of it, the emotional, physical, like all of it. Like I knew it was going to be really tough. But the reason I said yes to it is I really needed to prove to myself that I was so much stronger than I thought, because I had this limiting belief that I was just completely broken and I really needed something to prove myself. And I like talked to my doctors and they're like, I really think you can do this, And I did like hypnosis type things, like a lot of preparing for pain. Mentally, I still wasn't at the best like physical shape, I thought my mind, but I was just slowly like getting prepared for it as much as I could. But every day I was like, I can do this. Like I genuinely was like, I'm miserable, but I can. I can make it one more day. I can make it one more day. And just that I was able to prove to myself how strong I was mentally and physically when I felt so weak and broken. That was something that like camera, you know, can't fully capture how that made me feel. But it was so hard.
Speaker 2: Wait, Hannah, I have a question about that, because when you said that you were in a really tough place before heading into this show, it really struck me personally.
Speaker 3: When I was in like a very low place.
Speaker 2: I signed up for a triathlon because I said, if I don't do something physical early in the morning, and if I don't have something to train for, I'm not going to get out of bed. Are you comfortable sharing what sent you into this really low place? Because I'm looking at your Instagram and like you're engaged on the outside, look very happy, no one would really know what was going on.
Speaker 3: I really tried to live my life as like a role model at all times, and then to be in the public eye and get a lot of criticism from a lot of different things. That was really tough because everything that I had built my life on and what I thought I was had come into question. And you know, even when there is support, the thing that you're going to listen to, and that's the loudest is any type of criticism or things people are saying, especially if it comes down to like character and who you are. And I couldn't handle it. It was about a year of being pretty dark, but just keep working and distracting myself. But then when all the distractions went away for like a lot of people in COVID, that's when it got like, oh, like I am really really not okay. I was actually working on my first book about my life and was also like reliving things that I had not really talked about. I'm so glad that I was able to like share my story and so many people resonated with my first book. God bless this mess. But that was really really hard for me to process, and I just started therapy for the first time as I was writing this book, so it was just a lot of open wounds, really fresh and then having to learn how to process. That was really tough for me. And yet now, like I still have them battles to this day. But I'm so grateful for everything that has led up to this point to be at the place that I am now.
Speaker 1: And she's hydrating, she's reading her books, she's glowy. You look very healthy. Yeah, I've never met you before, but you look light and you look healthy, She's offering.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my gosh, I really appreciate that because I've been sick this past week. So if I'm looking healthy now like i'm usually thriving, then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, it seems like you're in this new chapter of your life mentally and emotionally. You're entering a new decade. You mentioned you're thirty, you're newly engaged. Yeah, heading into this new version of Hannah Brown. How has your idea of love changed since that twenty four year old bachelorette.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what love was like it. Honestly, that was a question I even had this past year because of The relationship I have with my fiance now is very, very different than any relationship that I've had before, and I have learned that I have had to redefine what love is, and love to me really is about feeling safe and seen at the same time, and it's creating a relationship. I think that is actually a lot more powerful when you get you have choice in who you decide to be with, Like, we built this relationship, and that's really what love is. It's being able to build a life with somebody. And even in the book Mistakes, we never made like there's a reason why we struggle with relationship and there's always a route to that and the importance of being able to go on that journey for yourself or with a partner, of being able to find I think even Emma and Finn and the book, you know, the main character has a lot of stuff that she's suppressed about a relationship with her dad and why she feels like she has to be the way that she is and being able to like lightly bring that in because that's truly what creates I think a strong, beautiful love story of having another person kind of be on that journey with you and give you that space to work on the things that you need to work on within yourself to be able to fully love somebody else too. And I didn't know any of that at twenty four. I didn't know any of that about it at twenty four, and so to now be almost thirty and you know, engaged in learning so much about love daily, I'm excited and so thankful for the journey that it's been for me and my relationship, but also to in this new chapter of my life being an author to be able to share that with other people while also creating this beautiful, magical love story, but actually like adding some truth in there along the way too.
Speaker 1: All Right, we got to take a quick break with author and TV personality Hannah Brown. Okay, healed, healthy, Hannah Brown, I have a have a have a spicy question. We like spicy questions on our show. A question that comes up a lot is whether it's possible to be friends with an ex.
Speaker 3: We talk about this so much.
Speaker 1: I don't know why when it always comes up, and you and Tyler Cameron still seem very close, like you were just on his renovation show Going Home.
Speaker 4: You also dated him in like a very public way.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's totally different than most relational dynamics. But what's your take on that question? Like, is it healthy to be friends with an ex? Is it possible?
Speaker 3: I think you can be supportive of an ex and truly like want their happiness. And I think you can be acquaintances of an ext Oh.
Speaker 4: That's good, that's good. It's acquaintance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think you know, if you dated somebody for a really long time and there's just, you know, so much history, I think you can be acquaintances and really like want the best for somebody. But I think it takes a lot to even get to that point too. But for them to be like at your barbecues in your backyard with your new like, that's I think I think.
Speaker 4: That's good too. What's what's your take on this? Now we go back and forth.
Speaker 3: No, I totally agree. Yeah, I mean I do too, Like at different times, I'm like, maybe you know, you'll see others, you'll see other people doing it well, So I'm not saying that maybe it can happen, but I think for the majority, for giving advice for the masses, yeah, let's be realistic. Probably not the best.
Speaker 4: Surgeon General's warning is don't do it.
Speaker 2: It depends how like serious the relationship was and where you're at now. Okay, I am dying to know what the bachelorette's bachelorette party looks like?
Speaker 4: Is it a.
Speaker 2: Hannah Brown on a yacht all in white bikini's Instagram moment?
Speaker 4: Are you more chill?
Speaker 3: Like? What is this looking?
Speaker 4: What's the theme?
Speaker 3: I really? I mean I haven't planned anything yet, but.
Speaker 4: More chill.
Speaker 3: I'm more chill just where I'm at.
Speaker 2: We plan it right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really am thinking like the Bahamas would be so great. I mean, I love Mexico and I want to go somewhere be with my girlfriends on a beach, but very very chill.
Speaker 2: Simone, and I realized today as we were thinking about your interview that you are the winningest reality star. Yes, the Bachelor, you technically won because you became the Bachelorette. You one Dancing with the Star, You won Special Forces.
Speaker 3: What is the secret? What is secret skill? The special sauce?
Speaker 4: How are you winning everything?
Speaker 3: I genuinely don't. I never like think I'm gonna win, but I've now figured out my special secret sauce in therapy, and I don't always think it's a great thing. But what helps me a lot in these very specific, not real life situations is I can get so dialed in, Like when I'm on a show, nothing else matters, like everyone is shut out. I am fully in it and I can't deal with anything else. So it's really great for something where like you don't have your phone for a while and that's all that you're doing. I'm really great at that, and I can shut every other like emotion or thing that's going on in the outside world. I'm just emotionally and mentally invested in what's like at hand. Are you super competitive some people? Yes, I don't think I'm competitive about Yeah. I guess I'm not competitive in like everything in life. Like you know those people who like are competitive about just like it could be any little game and they're upset. No, I'm not like that, Like I don't care about just every type of thing, but like, yeah, when I'm in a competition like the ones I've been in, yeah, I guess there is like a drive. I have a drive about me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the one to watch.
Speaker 1: I agree, you are on a reality show with Hanna Brown, She's the one to watch.
Speaker 2: I normally would never ask somebody this because the idea of asking, like what's next for you is like the most annoying question. But you've worn so many different hats. I am really curious what is on your bucket list, Like what's on the horizon for you?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Well, I'm working on book two now, my romance novel, so I'm really excited about that. I really want to get into real estate in some way, which is just like my telling Sunset it's happening. I started out in interior decorating. That's what I was doing when I was on when I started The Bachelor, I'm trying to bring everything back to my roots. So what I was doing and what I loved well before I was on a reality TV show. And oh, I mean my big big dream I always say, just say, what's your big dream is? I really want my books to become movies. I've always wanted to produce some of my own stories and bring them to life and on a big screen. So that would be awesome, That's fabulous. I might have wanted to marry myself, but I always loved a good rom call me too, So to be able to like do that would be really cool, so we'll see. I'm in a good place of just being like hungry and driven, but also like realizing that everything's going to work out. Some of the awesome once in a lifetime opportunities that I've had I never could have dreamt of and have come to me. So I'm just like really open to everything, but also feeling really settled in a way too, of like really loving what I'm doing and just pursuing that. It's great to be a healed Hannah. I sometimes miss the chaotic because like she was hilarious and fun, but it feels better in this body to feel more centered and grounded and working on that daily.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for sharing your big dream with us. That's not easy to say out loud sometimes, yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Think you have to, you know. I think that's like one of the things that I've realized so much. You just got to ask and sometimes people are going to say yes and sometimes or not. But if you never ask, or you never like say what the thing is, then you're kind of giving yourself an out. And I don't really want to out either.
Speaker 1: Hannah Brown never takes an out. If I know one thing about Hannah, She's never going to take an out. Hannah, thanks for coming on the bright side and being so open with us.
Speaker 4: This was so much fun.
Speaker 3: It was so much fun. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Hannah Brown is a New York Times bestselling author and television personality. Her debut romance novel, Mistakes We Never Made, is out now.
Speaker 2: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, writer and comedian Chelsea Davontes is joining us for our first edition of Popping Off, our pop culture segment where we break down the biggest stories on our radar and on yours. Listen and follow the bright side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: I'm Simone Boye.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: That's oro.
Speaker 1: V ay see you tomorrow, folks. Keep looking on the bright side.