Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature future production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today on the show Pink Oh, the Fabulous Fuchions the prettiest pink found in nature. Pink is sometimes maligned as a frivolous color, but as we'll find out, nature takes its pink very seriously. From camouflage to ambush's, river battles and poison. We're taking a look at the dark side of pink. Discover this more as we answer the angel question should you stop to smell the flowers? Or stop before smelling the flowers? Joining me today is friend of the show, My friend, host of the podcast that Hey. I am also on co hosts one might say of secretly incredibly fascinating, secretly incredibly Alex Schmidt. Welcome.
Speaker 2: I think the color pink would be a good topic, and it's great to find out about it through animals right now. That's so exciting. Yeah, I'd always great to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we should do like a secretly incredibly fascinating all the color Pink movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that thing I've heard from the internet. That it was once considered a boy's color before it was considered a girl's color, which is neat yea. And beyond that, I don't really know much about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should do it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep like just ambushing you with pitches for the show on live air, continually make you feel awkward about it.
Speaker 2: You should. Here's what you do when we look at each other on zoom. You get a bunch of like lamps set up right, and then the bulbs are pink tinted, and you have like pink gels, you know, and you just gradually increase the pinkness of the room. Yes, to incept me into saying, oh, a pink topic.
Speaker 3: Exception another Christopher Allan movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this week, in honor of the Barbie movie, we are talking about the color pink. Now, I don't think either of us have seen the Barbie movie yet. I'm actually supposed to see it tonight, so I am very excited.
Speaker 3: Nice, So I'm going in.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that, and I also haven't seen a pinkheimer.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: There we go, like a pink mushroom cloud from a horrible nuke. No, I've also not seen Oppenheimer. I'm planning actually to turn this into a bit of a Barbenheimer. Not this episode, but next episode I will talk about explosive animals, so get ready for that. But yes, so there will be no Barbie movie spoilers in this simply because I cannot because I do not know any spoilers. We're just talking about how pink is an underrated color in the animal kingdom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know of a lot of pink animals. I guess. I guess a flamingo jumps to mind. Yeah about it?
Speaker 1: Who were not talking about? Because that one's too obvious. So we are talking about animals that I'm hoping, well, you may have heard of a few of these, but I'm hoping some of them are at least new to you. So first, Alex, did you know if there is a tiny pink polka dotted horse that lives under the sea?
Speaker 2: No? That should that should have been the third movie in the triple feature.
Speaker 1: Here we go, you know, Yes, so there is a teeny tiny polka dot pink polka dot uh, teeny weeny sea horse called the Pigmy Sea Horse. And just look at this thing?
Speaker 2: So cute it does? It has like a baby horse face. Ye, if that makes sense, which is extra cute, very into it.
Speaker 1: It looks like my little pony version of a sea horse. It's very very cute.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is found in Southeast Asia, in the Coral Triangle area. And there are actually a few species of pygmy sea horses, all very tiny, all very cute, and some of them are pink. And they are about half an inch to an inch long or about fifteen to twenty five millimeters. Because they're so tiny inchnackable, they like to mimic the color and texture of the coral that they hide in. So when you look at a thing of coral, you may not be able to see these little guys, but they're in there, hidden away secretly.
Speaker 2: Even just the location the Coral Triangle is cute. I've never heard of that. Great. It sounds like it contains literally my little pony. Great, yeah, really good.
Speaker 1: It made up cartoon city for a little cartoon my little sea horse. And yeah, but they are so cute. They're very pink. They have these pink, bulbous polka dot So when I say polka dots, they're actually three dimensional polka dots because they're kind of bulbous, which helps them fit in with this coral that is very it's very bulbous, it's pink. But interestingly, some of these species of pigmy seahorses actually will change their color based on the coral that they live on. So a young pigmy seahorse will settle on some coral, it will sense the color of the coral, and over a few days they will alter their color and their texture to match the coral. So this means that the same species can come in a range of colors from red to orange to yellow to pink.
Speaker 2: So, oh man, there's a whole like rainbow of them. This the most forget a triple feature. I just want to see this movie instead of either of the famous ones. Right, come on? Even even the three dimensional polka dots look like the candy dots, which I've mostly had in movie theaters.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, there are actually specialized pigment cells on their skin called chromatophores that allow them to change color. And it's not like an instant change. You know. Have you seen maybe octopus or cuttlefish be able to very quickly change their color. These are not that quick. It takes a few days for it to change color, but still it's really really interesting. And those bumpy, little like candy dot looking things are actually called tubercules, which sounds less appealing than candy dots, but yeah, they are fleshy projections that grow on their skin. And when you look at coral and you try to find these little guys, if you're not zoomed in on it, it is very difficult. They are very good at camouflage.
Speaker 2: Good for them. I expect nothing less from my favorite tiny sea horses. And if people though know, I'm mostly repulsed by most sea creatures, and I like this one. You know what I mean. This is a very cute sea creature.
Speaker 1: I found the friendliest looking sea creature that I could.
Speaker 2: For you, Alex, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of friendly creachy creachies, friendly creaties, spiders. I like spiders. I think they're cute. Most people, well, I don't know. I guess I don't know how many people don't think they're cute. I would assume most. But maybe maybe the world's turning around on spiders. Maybe we've got a spider revolution. But I want to talk about a spider who is so fashionable, very Barbie very pink and likes to match its outfit with flowers.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic. That okay, Yeah, humans can't be the only ones. No makes sense.
Speaker 1: Look, humans love flowers, but so do so many other animals, and they also like to match their fashion with flowers. So. Tamysis onustus is a spider also known as a crab spider or flower crab spider, found in Eurasia. It's pretty small. It's only about seven to eleven millimeters, which is under half an inch big. So if you're scared of spiders, this is a this is a.
Speaker 3: Little one, not.
Speaker 5: Menacing.
Speaker 2: I have I have a creative note for this species, yes, which is flower crab spider, much stronger than crab spider. Just switch to that, like it's are you kind of broke up? It's like dropping the the off of Facebook, Like, just switch to flower crab spider. Don't don't leave that crab spider branding laying around as an option. Flower crab is one hundred times nicer and more marketable. That's my note in this, like Silicon Valley Cafe or whatever. I'm justin Timberlake in the movie The Social Network. Now, yeh, add the flower instead of drop the.
Speaker 1: Flower crab spider. Yeah, it is, thank you for marketing. This kind of the most important part of this spiders. I think spiders do just need more marketing and fewer people would be afraid of them. So flower crab spiders.
Speaker 2: Crab spiders sounds like just one hundred stabby points. Yeah, the flower crab spider. It sounds like a lady with an orchid in her hair. You know, way better.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny because like, crab spiders are actually typically very pretty, very beautiful. There's in I don't know, I find find them quite appealing. They're they're not nearly as menacing as you would think that they are. So, yeah, they are found in Eurasia. They actually live in a symbiotic relationship with flowers, so they will feed on insects that can harm the flower. They also benefit from the flower because the flower attracts insects and this spider crab, sorry, this crab spider can actually eat those insects, and if they can't find any insects to eat, they can sip on the nectar of the flowers. So they benefit the flower by protecting it, and the flower benefits them by providing them with food, and just like the pygmy seahorse that we talked about earlier, they can detect the color of the flower that they've chosen as their home, and over the course of a few days, they can actually change their color to match the flower. So it is amazing. So this also means that this species can come in a variety of different colors, from pink to yellow, to kind of orange colors to sort of purple colors. But yeah, a lot of them are pink because there are a lot of pink flowers.
Speaker 2: That's and that's so Barbie to me, Like not just being pink, but making the active choice of pink and selecting it and making it your thing. That's very very Barbie. Good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very Barbie, very Barbie. I having not seen the Barbie movie, I assume the conclusion is that we should all be wearing pink, and I think that is what Greta Garowig is probably aiming for. That, like, pink is a great color that we should all choose to wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's taken aside in the I don't know Pantone Wars or paint story decisions. I don't know where these color fights are happening, but I have in favor of her taking a stand.
Speaker 1: Very brave, just full on fist fights in the paint aisle of lows.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, not only can they change the pigmentation and structure of their cells to change their color in a way that is visible to humans, they can also change the ultraviolet light that they reflect to match their flower. Thus they are actually camouflaged for birds and other insects that see UV lights.
Speaker 3: So they have.
Speaker 1: Completely matched their flower both in the visible spectrum for humans and the UV spectrum for birds and other insects. And this is very important because they don't want to get eaten by birds and they want to eat insects, so being invisible to birds and insects provides them both with protection and the ability to ambush an unsuspecting bug who comes to a flower thinking it's gonna get a nice snack but then becomes a snack.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this okay, So it does have the powers of the movie character the Predator. Yes, which has always needed a Barbie extension. We have all felt, We've all known this, Why fight alien when you can fight or team up with Barbie? And I think I think we finally achieved it.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Gosh, a pink predator would look so fly. I love that. I really love that for him. Yeah, her, I'm not sure I guess them. I don't. I don't want to the predator. It's never explicitly said what gender the predator is, but yes, I love that for the predator.
Speaker 2: Right, the predator is a spectrum. We all know this.
Speaker 1: Oh man, a pink A pink predator would be just so boss. I love that. So we're going to take a quick break and when we return, we are going to talk about an animal who is pink. Seems like it comes straight from a Lisa Frank notebook, but it's incredibly metal.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: So we are back, and uh, do you remember Lisa Frank and all of those colorful notebooks back? And I want to say the nineties was when that was the main era of Lisa Frank of course, the artist who made those beautiful rainbow colored notebooks with really bright colors, lots of cute animals rainbows, pandas, puppies and dolphins and horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't possess them, but I had classmates who did. And you can't miss them. If anyone in your class has one, you'll notice. And yeah, and I like was happy for them. I didn't. I think I knew some guys who were like, oh, that's girly, but like it was just fine, it was cool. Yeah, it was just it was.
Speaker 1: Just colorful animals. I don't understand. I don't understand how colorful animals is girly, but you know, sure, fine, I'm happy to claim that. I'm happy to claim all the colorful animals and keep them for myself.
Speaker 2: It's a big win for girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, exactly, Like only girls like ponies and dolphins. It's like, dude, we get horses and dolphins. Wow, all right, fine, leaving it on the table.
Speaker 3: We'll take them.
Speaker 2: Ice cream is for girls. Okay, thank you, take cookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there is actually, in reality a pink dolphin, and not just one pink dolphin, but a whole species of pink dolphins.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, oh yeah, I'm seeing the picture here. Wow, yep, it's just pink. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It turns out that Lisa Frank is not making up pink dolphins. Pink dolphins exist. These are the Amazon River dolphins found of course, can you guess.
Speaker 2: Where Amazon River dolphins. Let's say the Amazon River, Alex, you're so smart.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are found in the Amazon River. They grow to become pink as they mature into adults. Males are pinker than females. Take that status quo, the idea that pink is a girl color and not a boy colored. Dolphins do not see it that way. Pink is very much more of a Females do get a little pink on them, but males are far more pink.
Speaker 2: That I know. We were joking about where is it located with the Amazon River, but I still kind of wanted to say, Miami. This is a Miami energy. To me, it's in the water. It's bold, it's just out there being itself. It feels like the opposite of camouflage somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, Yeah, no, it is.
Speaker 2: It has real speedboat energy. You know, it's good.
Speaker 1: It does definitely look like an inflatable pool toy, but it's a you know, it's not a friendly inflatable pool toy because the reason that their pink is actually very metal as their skin is worn down, so they actually start out gray when their babies, when they're juveniles, they're gray, but as they get a number of abrasions through kind of knocking around, rough housing, even fighting with each other. These abrasions form this scar tissue. So they, you know, form the scar tissue very easily, which turns pink. And so this is the reason that males tend to be pinker than females is that males are more aggressive. They rough house, they fight more often, and so they have built up this layer of battle pink.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Perfect, Now we have the competitor of the spider crab predator. Couldn't even say its name. I'm so terrified it can battle the battle pink.
Speaker 3: Dolphins battle pink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought this. I I don't know if I'm exactly right about this, but I thought that pink was considered a boy's color at some point, because pink was considered just the younger version of red and red was a manly color because red is blood and blood is in war, and war is for boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does make as much sense as any cultural belief about gender and colors of the spectrum because all the colors are for everybody. It's sort of like Lisa Frank, fundamentally it's for everybody, and so sure that makes sense. Victorians who I believe.
Speaker 1: Picked that sounds like trying to turn our kids into dolphins.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's just straight up true. That's my main issue. But made gold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so actually male.
Speaker 2: Dogar do I get on purpose? Anyway? Go on, go on.
Speaker 1: So one of the theories is that really pink male dolphins are attractive females because it shows that they are battle tested, which you know, it's like this is being pink is like being a sort of a scarred up Viking in the dolphin world. So you know, gosh, now I'm thinking of pink Vikings and I love that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been good. Why not?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Just like, can you imagine a pink, pink beard with all the little like braids in it, pink helmet. I know they didn't wear little horned helmets, but can you imagine a pink one.
Speaker 3: That'd be fun.
Speaker 2: In the in the sitcom, they had a bunch of white gear and then one red sock got into the laundry. There you go, you know, and they're like, I can't believe we have to sack a monastery looking like this. Yeah, we feel so silly.
Speaker 1: But then it becomes the most feared color in the whole Nordic seas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they learned from one of their victims. Don't worry, You're still cool. And they have a heart worming moment. But also it's a Viking raid on a monastery. That's just history for you.
Speaker 3: This is true history.
Speaker 1: And yes, so pink dolphins are basically the battle scarred Vikings of the dolphin world. So another pink South American animal is the roseate spoonbill bird, found in the southern parts of North America as well as in South America. It is beautiful. I actually think it is in some ways more gloriously pink than the flamingo. It is a just fantastic looking bird.
Speaker 2: It is. I last time I was at a zoo, they had a lot of flamingos and they are paler than you think in your imagination and in your mental picture, flamingos are sort of a pastal almost, And this spoon bill is really bold. Yes, it's got the Lisa Frank going It has.
Speaker 1: Got the Lisa Frank look going on. They live in both fresh and salt water in coastal regions, and like the flamingo, their pink coloration is from their diet, which is high in carotenoids, so these are found in abundance in crustaceans, insects, plants, and mollusks. The spoon bil will also feed on frogs, fish, and newts, so it'll pretty much eat anything it can get in its spoon bill that is small enough and slurpable enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems technically difficult, like trying to pick up a frog with a spoon. I know it's different, but also in my head it's not so wow, very impressive.
Speaker 1: But imagine if the spoon was tongs like sort of a salad, you know, like those salad tossers.
Speaker 3: It's like a spoon.
Speaker 1: I guess there's also a fork on it tongs, So now you go, okay, it's a yeah, a tongue bill. It should be called the tongue bill, come on, guys, But yeah, it's called the spoon bill because of its long, spoon shaped bill. It's body shape overall looks kind of like a heron, except for this flat, long spoon like bill. Its neck is a little thicker than a heron perhaps, And of course it has beautiful bright pink feathers. And they use that spoon bill by kind of swishing it side to side in the water, catching and filtering prey through that spatula like structure, and just they look absolutely fabulous doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other day I saw a heron take off, you know, and it's like beholding an angel. I would really like to see a spoon bill take off. Now, that would be great. An angel with a big I'll probably go look it up.
Speaker 1: An angel with tongues for a face, honestly, still more majestic in ethereal than the Biblical description of angels being just eyeballs and wings. Eyeballs and wings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no tongues, no pink. Come on, come on, Bible, let's punch this up. I have notes for the flower crab spider, and I have notes for I guess revelation is where they do a lot of the angel descriptions. Anyway, there we go.
Speaker 1: If a biblical angel came to me with its hundreds of eyes and wings and stuff and said be not afraid, I'd still be afraid. Whereas if an angel came to me and it had a big old spoon force it was like being not afraid.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, no, dude, I'm not afraid. You're great.
Speaker 1: Just a little note, just a little like, you know, constructive critique for the Bible, like pressing.
Speaker 2: The button on some kind of home security system and then realizing this will still be a difficult call. I don't know how to explain this with the Hope security people.
Speaker 1: Well, we are going to take a quick break, and when we come back, we are going to talk about a beautiful Barbie with legs for literally days. Alex, what if we took a millipede and made it fashion? Huh?
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 1: What if?
Speaker 2: What if we do it?
Speaker 1: Let's do it? So Uh. There is a millipede that is very real and very much exists, called the shocking pink dragon millipede, also known as Desmoxides proposia. It's actually pretty new on the books. It was first documented in two thousand and seven. That doesn't mean it's when it was discovered. Is the first time it's sort of been documented in modern biology.
Speaker 2: That's I'm seeing a picture of this that's astounding. Yes, it's a very visible insect.
Speaker 1: It's very visible. It's very very pink, extremely pink, one might say, shockingly pink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like if we discovered Barbie last year. And that's what's the movie's about. Like, it's an Indiana Jones style pick sure about can you believe we found an entire pink dream house? Like I think we would have found this sooner, but okay, sure.
Speaker 1: I like the idea that this is a primordial Barbie, like Barbie goes through stages of evolution to reach Barbie hood, and this is just this looks like the primordial billion year old Barbie. And it's both horrifying and very fashionable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the first Barbie dream boat grows wheels to walk on land as a dream car. You know, it's some kind of weird Cronenberg evolution. I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like if Cronenberg directed the Barbie movie, which honestly that might be good.
Speaker 3: That might be real good.
Speaker 1: So this beautiful we.
Speaker 2: Should have titled the Barbie movie Crimes from the Future. That would make sense. That would be a fun different.
Speaker 1: Title for it, fashion Crimes from the Future. So this shocking pink dragon millipede. And I'm not adding I'm not the one adding in the shocking pink that is in its name shocking pink dragon millipede. It lives in the Utaite then I Province in Thailand. It's found in forest just kind of lurking among the leaf litter floor. Apparently they emerge in the rain like some kind of glorious fashion show that happens, except that it's a little bit creepy.
Speaker 2: I'm meant to that. I have oddly begun reading about fancy French fashion shows by like top designers, and there tends to be some really elaborate staging that you would never know about without reading about it. So this makes sense. Yeah, some kind of waterfall effects and the theming, yeah into it.
Speaker 1: Well, fashion Week, call me when your fashion show has a bunch of leaf litter in your models, like crawl out of the leaf litter with so many legs, then I'll pay attention. So this millipede is not just beautifully fashionable with over fifty long, slender pink legs, it is also covered in menacing pink spikes. It's punk. It's pink. It's pink punk.
Speaker 2: It's truly it's cartoon colored, like it's brighter than this spoon bill. I feel like we've increased the saturation of the pink as we've spoken, which is great. As I looked down our various photos of animals, it just keeps getting more Barbie it keeps getting more Angeline if people know that La reference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm at the Angeline. I'm at the Barbie Show. I'm at the hot topic Angeline Barbie Show combination.
Speaker 2: And then you need special protective sunglasses like the Oppenheimer characters to look at it. It's too pink, too bright.
Speaker 1: You may also want some Oppenheimer protection from this because not only is it fabulous, it is very dangerous to eat. It is toxic. So it produces a toxic hydrogen cyanide compound and a series of glands which are very very toxic when eaten. And so this pink coloration is not just so it can show up to a Barbie premiere looking the best. It is so other animals won't eat it because they look at that. And that is a back off pink. This is a I am toxic. You don't want any of this pink. It's kind of I mean, it's the pink that Britney Spears was serving in her Toxic music video.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yes, yeah, it's almost exactly that outfit and maybe texture. As I look at it, it really wow, this is just a Britney Spears bug. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cool, It really is pink punk, and I love her for this. This millipede. She she is as the kids say, serving it. I think that's what the kids say. I think they say serving. I think they say. They might still say fire.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But don't serve this bug at dinner.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, because you'll get very sick. So yeah, this actually apparently they kind of smell like almonds, which again, like she's peak and she's got almond perfume and she's covered in spikes. But the almond perfume is deadly because cyanide has a slight almond sweet almondy smell. It's kind of a bit it's definitely bitter tasting. You don't want to eat it. But yeah, apparently it kind of smells a little bit like almonds. And so yeah, it is. When you have a warning coloration, that is also known as a possimitism. So maybe we've got Barbie all wrong. Maybe the pink coloration is telling you don't eat the barbie. It's full of cyanide.
Speaker 2: Warning, do not play. Warning warning.
Speaker 1: I have heard that Mattel is incredibly lutigious. So just for the record, barbies do not contain cyanide. They are safe to play with and maybe eat No, don't eat them. I take that back, don't eat them.
Speaker 2: Just a lot of pink lawyers are going to descend on both our locations. That's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Just everyone is from Everyone is l from Legally Blonde covered in pink, just absolutely bankrupting me to the point of ruin, but in pink with pink.
Speaker 3: So it's fine.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, she would either extremely work for them or be some kind of opposing force who's there, Like, like, I feel like l would work for the firm up Mattel. And then there's some kind of villain speech in the middle of the movie where Mattel says, we're not so different, you and I, and you see like, oh, that's kind of true. They both wear pink.
Speaker 1: That's true, we're both wearing pink.
Speaker 2: Buttel is also like German or Blowfeld for some reason. But I'm into it.
Speaker 1: Cool. Yeah, I feel like Elle from Legally Blonde would note the slight difference in shades of pink that they're wearing to prove that they are actually different. But yes, you're right, she would.
Speaker 2: Definitely be ooh, damn you woods, damn you. And and she's holding swatches, and you just can't disagree. She's right, She's right, She's got the swatches.
Speaker 1: Reese Witherspoon, German matel Witherspoon, you want to get in back into the movie game. I mean, she's she's still back in the movie game. She's never left the movie game. But I'm saying, call us, you want to be in another another one of those legally blonde movies. We got the script already for you. Yeah. I just thought of between taping this and release. Oh what Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Bill Oh, and I have gotten to see her take off. She is nailing it. Proud of you, Reeese, good job.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, Well, before we go, Alex, we got a play a little game. You like games, Alex, you like games?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, this is the best game in podcasting. Here we go.
Speaker 1: This game is called Guess Who's Squawking? The Mystery Animal's Own Game. Every week we play a mystery a sound and you, the listener, and you the guests, tried to guess who is making that sound. It can be any animal in the wild, in the entire wild, and the oceans in the world, and the sky on the land, and the trees and the mountains Waywhere what do you want from?
Speaker 2: Let's bring back in the.
Speaker 1: So I always provide a hint because I am so so nice. Last week's mystery animal sound hint was this start your engines, fellas. This speedster is rubbing up but running is not exactly what's on his.
Speaker 5: Mind, Alex, did you hear that beautiful sound?
Speaker 2: I did, and from the hint, I feel like, no legs. So sorry, shocking pick millipede, It's not you, You're out? Is it some kind of I'm imagining those elephant seals with the big things on their faces that help them make noise. Is it.
Speaker 1: That's a good guess. Yeah, it's wrong, but it's a good guess.
Speaker 2: I got that feeling. That's okay.
Speaker 1: So I feel like perhaps I have misled you with my clue because not only does it have legs, it has some of the most impressive of legs in the animal kingdom. Because this is the booming call of a male ostrich who is very turned on. Congratulations to Auntie Me and Joey B who both guessed correctly.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is specifically the call of the male ostrich. Females do not make this call, and he is doing it because he sees a lady he is trying to impress. So ostriches are incredibly impressive runners. They may be flightless, but it can go over forty miles per hour around, which is around seventy kilometers per hour. They are the fastest terrestrial bird. So males will offer this booming call to attract females.
Speaker 3: But that's not it.
Speaker 1: Their mating ritual is fascinating and intricate and very silly.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'll bet they're already ninety nine percent silly looking as it is, so the mating has got to be funnier.
Speaker 1: So the male will make this like call until he has attracted the attention of a female. But that's not good enough for her. She wants to test his metal, and so she will lead him on a ceremonial chase where she runs away from him and he chases her. Now this is he's not actually chasing her in aggressive manner, and she's still in control of the situation. Even though it might look like she's running away from him and he's chasing her. It is more of a ritual, and she will see if he can keep up with her to make sure he has good stamina and is a fit prime male. So she will slow down and maybe she's interested, maybe she's not. But to try to really seal the deal, the male will unfold his wings and perform a sexy dance for her. He'll get on his knees, which his knees are kind of actually his ankles like what we look at and seems like backwards knees our ankles, and its knees are like further up.
Speaker 3: But he will get down.
Speaker 1: Lift his wings up and kind of flap them consecutively, like doing a little bit of the wave, and he will roll his head and his neck around and around. It's a very impressive dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like it. This is great, and it is.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it isn't very clearly a sensual dance. I feel like sometimes when you see a mating dance from an animal, you're like, that doesn't seem sexy. This one is like, yeah, he's trying to do a sexy dance.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the dance it says that a lot of human guys do when they're just trying stuff. Yeah, you know, it's like, what if I get down like this and wiggle like this. You just see him try it on the floor at a wedding or something, and they're like, look, we're all getting creative, we're all experimenting, and I'm into it.
Speaker 3: Great, I'm doing the Ostrich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little funny, especially because they have such glorious fanlike feathers they look it looks a little bit burlesque, to be honest, which is great. And he'll also do these cute little trots to impress the female where he's holding his little wings out well big wings really, and fluttering his feathers and does this like cute little like tippy tap trot. It is the most dainty looking thing, and it's incredibly cute. If the female is impressed, she'll actually sort of flutter her wings in a seductive fashion and then they will mate. So it is quite a charming and cute mating ritual that these do. It's I would definitely look up a video of Ostrich mating ritual. It's it's very good.
Speaker 2: I like that. The female part is to my human mind, so much more normal. Yeah, like one wing flutter. Yeah, that makes total sense. That's how I assume all birds express attraction. And then the guy is like step seven as I waggle my wings in a different angle. It's just really wild and weird.
Speaker 1: Great, it's like just doing the worm. It's doing the robot like like wiggling, gyrating everything, working up a sweat out of breath, and the female just kind of gives the equivalent of like thumbs up.
Speaker 3: Good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like good job doing seventeen different Ostrich fortnight dances that are also sexual.
Speaker 2: I will briefly assent good.
Speaker 1: Oh man, such a try hard, poor tryhard Ostrich. Well, Alex onto this week's misery animal sound. The hint is this, don't get too cocky. You may have to think further back to get this one right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so Alex.
Speaker 1: Can you guess who is making.
Speaker 3: That sound that was?
Speaker 2: I appreciate your hint because it sounds like a reaster, but from your hint, think farther back. Well, And people have encouraged us to do a stuff about chickens. I don't mean to keep breaking up set. Oh yeah, please don't bring briefly looking at chickens.
Speaker 1: Bring up our other podcasts that we're on secretly incredibly fascinating. It sure would be a shame if people checked out our other podcast called Yeah Secretly incredibly fascinating.
Speaker 2: But so I'm gonna say some sort of is.
Speaker 1: My guess, Alex, you are absolutely correct, but I am going to bleep you out. People will know that you are correct, but they won't know what you said, so you get all of the smugness without the spoiler.
Speaker 2: Oh sick. This is the best best of all worlds for me and you folks keep playing play.
Speaker 1: Hot and you get to keep guessing. If you want to guess, you can send me an email at Creature Feature Pod at gmail dot com. I will reward the three fastest guessers with the best reward of all time. I say your name on the podcast and I'd be like, good job. Uh. Isn't that worth more than money? You know, a moment of me saying like good job thumbs up by yes. Uh. Please do send me your guesses, and of course, if you have animal related questions, you can only send them to me at Creature featurepot at gmail dot com. As well, I will occasionally do listener questions episodes, and if you write me a question, I might read it on the show and if you're lucky even answer it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Alex, thank you so much for coming on today. I wonder where people can find you.
Speaker 2: It's always the best. And I don't know if we've mentioned Secretly Incredibly Fascinating, which is a podcast that I've thrilled. Katie Golden co host with me every week I do, and it's it's just a blast. If you search Secretly in your podcast app, it comes up, it's the red one Secretly Incredibly Fascinating. It's just it's just the best time.
Speaker 1: It's a podcast that I am on and I guess Alex tool but it's really good and you should check it out.
Speaker 3: And we talk about things.
Speaker 1: And the best part is I don't do the research. I sit back and let Alex do all the work. But I'm there and I say.
Speaker 2: Things, and you know so much from my other things making this shows it makes it. It's just been such a rich experience to get to make it with you every week and been a blast. And Katie was on like the first ever taping, which became the second episode about cattle. She's there from early on too.
Speaker 1: That's right. I was in on the ground floor of the SIF Empire. That's that's it was a worthwhile investment. But yes, do check that out enjoy the Bobby movie. I'm gonna see it, see if this episode is even relevant.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then next week it all goes to planned.
Speaker 2: Did you did you pronounce b like the Australian slang fire b the Bobby.
Speaker 1: Like Barbara Barbraster I sand kind of thing, but it could also be Australian. I see where you're going with that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yes, next week we'll do we'll we'll do one in honor of Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer Oppenheimer. Uh. You know that one will certainly be lighthearted and fun. But yeah, well we'll talk. Well, well, I'll figure out some connections between animals and explosions that are bad.
Speaker 2: I'll bet that I'll be more positive about the atomic bomb. So that's gonna be a fun episode. It's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: I can almost guarantee that they will be less depressing than the atomic bomb, almost guarantee it. Well, I will catch you next week. Thank you guys so much for listening. If you're enjoying the show and you leave a rating or review, I read every single rating. Wait, I read reviews, and I appreciate ratings, and they really do help out the podcast. Thanks to these Space Classics for their super awesome song x Alumina. Creature Feature is a production of the iHeartRadio Network. If you want to listen to more podcasts like the one you're just heard, this is the iHeartRadio w ap Apple podcast or Here's what wherever you listen to your favorite show.
Speaker 3: I don't care, I don't judge.
Speaker 1: Enjoy, Enjoy the movies, Enjoy them, Enjoy the Barbie movie in Phoenix Wednesday,