Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field for fifteen bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in his way, I am Jeff Joni Hits.
Speaker 2: Is not done?
Speaker 1: What was like playing for coach Gooddo?
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that? Sixty one yards?
Speaker 1: What's Sunday stroll for justin field?
Speaker 3: Bears, et cetera. With the voices of the Chicago Bears, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Joniac Tom again for Bears, et cetera. Here Jeff, Joni AAK and Tom Thayer, the Super Bowl winning Bear. We'll preview the Bears and Buccaneers in Tampa. Hope everybody's doing okay. Coming up in the program, a conversation with NFL Royalty Tom. We got a Bear's icon the great Hall of Fame mid linebacker Dick but Kiss.
Speaker 2: I know there's one story that he didn't tell you that I've asked them before in life that I would be I would like to contribute to.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll talk about it afterwards. Up here at hallishall getting ready for week two. They will come quickly here. Now that the season is underway, Let's get you caught up on the latest news right now. The injury report no idea what Kyler Gordon's hand injury is they are not saying at this time. Also, Josh Blackwell, who is the backup Nickel, also on the injury report, so there could be some real shuffling going on here. Tyreek Stevenson time did play nickel at Georgia before he went to Miami Florida. Jalen Jones also played nickel last year against the Jets. There are options, but against this team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and that big slot Chris Godwin, that's a tall order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know something we've grown used to from last year. The defensive backs all had a chance to play and contribute in some way, shape or form, from special teams to regular snaps on defense.
Speaker 3: So I don't think of anybody other than a rookie.
Speaker 2: It would be a great shock for them to either move position or to contribute somewhere or maybe even have a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A re evolving defensive backfield.
Speaker 2: So the guys are fresh according to what down and distance and what position they played.
Speaker 1: Bears head coach Matt Eberflus earlier at hadisaw on his comfort level in Josh Blackwell, Yeah.
Speaker 4: We're just looking at all of our options. But in terms of with Blackwell himself, in terms of the comment about last year, it's invaluable right to be able to be out there and know the position. You know, as we said before, there's a lot of detail to the position that Nickel spot, and you know he's done a good job in there. You know he's been a good special teamer for us, and you know if we go that route, that'll be you know it'll be he'll do a nice shots.
Speaker 3: Rlse Smith be another out. Who are those other options?
Speaker 5: I's not true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going to divulge the other options right now, but we certainly like what we have all right.
Speaker 1: Another topic of conversation is Chase Claypool tom a big topic actually. Eberflu says he did visit with Claypool after the game about his perimeter blocking. Showed the technique in practice. We raved a bottom during training camp, digging out linebackers making big block. I know you are very happy with his progress during training camp, and after you watch the tape and watch how he played on Sunday against Green Bay, certainly you understand why some of these conversations are being taken place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know technically it's one of the most difficult blocks to make because there's a separation anywhere between five and fifteen yards of ultimate the collision point of that block. The thing that you need to do is you need to do at full speed because you know exactly where the design of the play is supposed to hit. So if you attack a defensive back and you make him take the longest path possible to get to the ball carrier, then that could increase the amount of yards you have at contact or put the tackler in the most difficult position.
Speaker 3: So to me, when I look at it, you know everybody has a hand in the evaluation.
Speaker 2: Now through all your new day social media. If you know the play or you don't know the play, you don't know the point attack, you don't know the exact design of where the technique is supposed to happen. To me, it's more about the type of effort you give at the line of scrimmage to the point of block. And so that's what I need to see going forward is more effort, but more effort out of everybody. I'm not going to isolate Chase Claypool and say he's the reason the offense wasn't successful because I saw him do it at practice at a really high level. And that's what he has to do because you know, Chase Claypool is always going to be talked about size first. So when you have that six to four plus frame and you're hitting a defensive back that's going to be smaller than you, then you expect that Chase Claypool be in control of the collision.
Speaker 1: There's Mattybrafluss and then justin fields on Claypool.
Speaker 3: You know, I would just say everything comes down to technique.
Speaker 4: You know, it's about technique, and it's about really about when you're blocking the premier like that, you have to have good technique, right and you know he's displayed good technique in practice on that and.
Speaker 3: That's why we had him in those positions. But perimeter blocking is all about technique.
Speaker 4: It's all about your angles, and it's all about your intensity for sure, and it's always about that. And it doesn't matter if you're a push cracking on a line, on a linebacker or cracking down on somebody inside.
Speaker 3: That's what it's always about.
Speaker 6: I think the biggest thing is, you know, just having that same mentality as he did in camp and just you know, keep working hard every day and you know, just just keep going.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: Of course he probably didn't have the game he wanted to have, probably wanted to have more catches, and you know we all probably didn't have the game that we wanted to have. But you know, just keep working, keep getting better. And I think that's the theme of this week. The theme of today is you know, uh, work towards want to know on Saturday or Sunday, and you know, just get ready.
Speaker 1: But and Tommy, you know, Justin was also asked about his relationship with Echlamenia Sam Brown, who was inactive for the game, and just what he brings to the table.
Speaker 6: Let's listen, In, he's a great run blocker for us, you know, he always has been since last year. And you know, he knows the playbook like the back of his hand. He's really smart, you know, and I think he's a leader in the receiver room. So just just that part permanter blocking, he's he's really good at that. So I think that's probably one thing that we missed. I mean, he's savvy, knows how to change directions, pretty good quality hands and you know, like I said, he's always gonna be on time with the quarterback. He's gonna run the right route at the right depth, and you know, be at the right place at the right time. So I mean, you just get dependability on him, and you know he's very reliable in the past game.
Speaker 1: So yeah, these are comparisons the media is making, you know, EQ Saint Brown out. You know, will Claypool be on the field on Sunday, you know, that yet to be determined, but head coach Maddie Reflution the Fellas will sort out that out against Tampa Bay down in South Florida. Overall, though, opening up the passing game certainly is something that's on everybody's mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and Justin made reference to the fact that e Q knows this playbook like the back of his hand. And that's one thing every single player on this offensive side of the ball should have, is a great knowledge of the offense that they've been installing since OTAs. But it's about the performance on Sunday that is really gonna be the judgment of how well you play. And so if EQ Saint Brown is the next man up, and that mentality that's all around the NFL that.
Speaker 3: If they do put him in there.
Speaker 2: He has those perimeter blocks that are factor and outside run zone plays or screens, EQ has to come up with some big, big type of blocks.
Speaker 1: And justin talking about agreeing that he needs to take some shots down the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: That's one thing I talked to Luke and coach about is just you know, I felt like I was a little bit too conservative at times during the game. So you know, definitely with you know, guys like DJ and chasing the outside if you know we do have one on one on the outside essentially thrown it up and seeing what happens. So you know, with them, you know they're great playmakers and you know they can most likely come up with the fifty to fifty balls, So definitely you don't want to give them more chances keep in the field.
Speaker 1: And I know this is something that's big for you for this matchup against Tampa Bay. Tommy pushing that ball down the field.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you have the luxury of time, if you can get yourself into an open throwing lane, if you recognize that their single man coverage at one of the receivers from DJ to whomever's on the field, you got to throw into a smaller window of opportunity and relive the receiver to either go up and make the catch, don't allow the defensive back to make a catch or do something spectacular right now.
Speaker 1: When you spent over twenty nine to ninety nine at Steinhoffels, you'll score a one hundred dollars Bears Pro Shop gift card. Visit any one of the four Chicago land locations Vernon Hills, Crystal Lake, Donners Grove, and Harwood Heights, or shop online at Steinhoffels dot com. Jeff and Tom here on Bears et cetera podcast coming up in moments the Great Dick but Kiss also on the injury report from a Tampa perspective, a shoulder he did practice though for Baker Mayfield, a rugged performance against Minnesota, winning on the road. It was kind of an ugly offensive first half. They couldn't get anything done. They blitzed him mercilessly, and he still managed to make plays big ones down the stretch, including closing out the game and never giving the ball back to Minnesota to have one final crack at it. What impresses you at all about their offense at the moment, Because you must begin the conversation with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, Mike Evans.
Speaker 2: That's where my concern is because anytime that you're told by the team that you're expected to go out and give one hundred percent for that, we're not going to resign you and give you the contract that you're asking for. It's almost like a challenge for Baker Mayfield. Hey, how can I keep Chris ev I mean, Mike Evans involved in this game plan? Give him more opportunities. He was targeted ten times this week, and you're gonna you're gonna give him opportunities.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that Mice Evans has developed a reputation that even if he's covered, he's not covered because he's got that huge frame that is willing to go up and compete.
Speaker 3: For the football at its highest point.
Speaker 2: Chris Godwin has always been a heck of a receiver and I think he's a great compliment to Mike Evans.
Speaker 3: And when you look.
Speaker 2: At the Baker Mayfield, you know, he keeps everybody involved. And Baker Mayfield has lived on the injury report. So I don't think this shoulder concerns is going to say, oh my god, maybe he will not take many snaps he will, and you know, Tampa always keeps the tight end involved, and the tight end has had some success against the Bears. But to me, it's running game through Mike Evans and to see how they can protect and the offensive line without Ryan Jensen. Their their biggest asset on the football field. When you think about Trisan Wurf's their great right tackle. He's moved a left tackle and had to get some advice during the offseason, but he's also going through some growing pain. So I do think the Bears have some attackability if they do want to take some chances and putting pressure on ba Baker Mayfield because he doesn't have that blazing speed and that athleticism that so many quarterbacks are gifted with, so try to make them look small and trying to throw in the tight spaces.
Speaker 1: Vikings blitzed a lot, they really did. I opened the well.
Speaker 2: You know it's different. The Vikings were playing at home. The crowd noise is an assistant. They are unlike a lot of stadiums in the NFL. So if I can make their snap count and their offensive line look dysfunctional, that I can take some chances. So yeah, I am willing to take some chances. Look, you know zero and two doesn't sound good. You know one and one really gets you back on track. So if you're looking at offense and justin talking about make taking some chances downfield.
Speaker 3: You'd have to look at the defense as well.
Speaker 1: So a guy who knows Tampa better than anybody to Dj Moore, So, nineteen targets, thirteen catches last season in two games against Tampa, two touchdowns, nearly two hundred yards against similar defensive players. I'm not sure who picked him up or how how they worked coverage over there. Carlton Davis was not in those two games, so he is usually the guy that goes with the number one. But that'll be interesting all that conversation after just two targets and two catches last week against Green Bay. Another note on Evans the amazing part of his career nine straight one thousand yard seasons to start a career. Too shy of the all time Jerry Rice record of eleven, Orrandy Moss had ten, And you mentioned the tight end. Ky Otton led all rookies last year with forty two catches, third and yards of three ninety one, And the offense kind of rolls through him with their new offensive coordinator, Dave Knelis, who came over from Seattle, so they brought some Seattle coaches over as well. They hung up twenty points down the road against Minnesota.
Speaker 2: You know, real quick though, one thing going forward, I think each week when we talk about the defense, it's not necessarily how in whom they're going to cover Dj Moore with how are they going to attack justin fields, because you're talking about probably the best athlete on the Bears offense is the one that they have to contain the most. To me, the next subject that's going to come out of your mouth is going to be about exactly that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So what are we looking at? We're going to be looking at blitzes.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, Todd Bowles.
Speaker 2: You know, he proved it in the Super Bowl that he has the ability to sit these guys on the quarterback from unexpected angles.
Speaker 3: That affect your periphiel vision. When you see.
Speaker 2: Pressure coming at you see guys in the defensive second level coming and trying to sneak up in the not sneak up into the gaps and show themselves in the gaps, so that interferes with your pass protection. If you think, okay, I have an inexperienced running back that has to block one of these talented linebackers, you're automatically thinking during the cadence, I probably got to get the ball out of my hand a little quicker second. Play the game this past week against the Minnesota Vikings, they blitz your guy Winfield for a sack cause fumble. So Todd Bowles, like I say, he'll never be in a three point stay, but he could be the biggest factor on defense.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: He makes all the calls. So when you see Vidavea coming off the line of scrimmage with heavy hands, he's got a rare combo of power and despite being six ' four, he's got leverage coming out of his stance. He'll control gaps. He is a load to deal with. Is that where it all begins for them defensively? Because he can collapse the pocket too and be there for three downs and ruin your run game and collapse the pocket whereas you have to push up or push out and you get extended into those edge rushers.
Speaker 3: Oh, you gotta figure Vdave he measures at six to four.
Speaker 2: Like you said, he probably comes off the ball more at about five to eleven.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: So the first thing that the offensive line coach should be preaching to every offensive lineman, if he's your responsibility, make sure you block the line of scrimmage before you try to go to the second level.
Speaker 3: If you have a.
Speaker 2: Combination block So right now, that has extended time at the line of scrimmage by two offensive linemen, and then you're talking about these linebackers having that extra second to run free. And that's the thing that can really hurt you in this defense is the ability of these.
Speaker 3: Linebackers to run.
Speaker 2: So didavea, Yeah, you got to try to get some movement on him. Why are they the best run stopping defensive line in the NFL Because he takes multiple blockers for an extended period of time.
Speaker 1: And those linebackers are both former Pro Bowlers, Devin White on the weak side and Levonte David the senior member of the Bucks defense now thirty three, and he still can move good. New Chicago United Airlines. It's getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles, like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in the room for everyone's roller bag. United proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. While we're talking about linebackers, No better way than to talk about number fifty one. He walks with the kne now looks great, though, wonderful to visit with and talk about. A full life Live with Dick Buckis. He thrived Tommy in an era of toughness, grint, bloody hands, mud made for NFL theater, that's for sure, and captured and persevered for perpetuity by NFL films. Our memories of marauding a six to three forty pounder, a growling middle linebacker, patrolling the Bears defense, linger and intrigue. My conversation with the great Dick Buckets.
Speaker 7: In a way I wish I was able to play today, But then again, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'd like the way it was back there.
Speaker 7: To me, that was professional football playing on a baseball field that literally went from one end zone down to the other, and then two feet later you're going to hit a brick wall and a chip broncle brick there. And who somebody said we had a locker room back there, you know, too small for you know, a wrestling team. It's just I just really liked it. It was to me, the real stuff. The real pros.
Speaker 1: You barely played on grass well after.
Speaker 7: No after yeah, after a couple of weeks, you know, they painted it. It was actually we practiced there, so you know, you heard that term like with sheep. You know the farmers. Other farmers didn't like sheep because they compacted the ground from walking because of their hoofs, And that's what we did with our spikes. It was literally just dirt and paint. And then what was at the south southeast corner where you know big two by twos or four by fourst covering the corner of the visitors dugout to finish the end zone.
Speaker 5: So the corner.
Speaker 7: Over there was boards over the over the dugout, and then they would go their locker room would be above above. They'd go through the dugout and then walk upstairs and then to this room, you know, and then all the fans are there throwing. They used to do that to us over at County Stadium too. They finally put like you know, like like tarpolian or something inside the fence because they throw that she as you walk by.
Speaker 1: That was an era of the intimacy of the game. The fans are right on top of Wrigley Field.
Speaker 7: You know, and you'd get there and there'd be a couple of kids, you know, you bring them in with you. Yeah, he's coming in with me, you know, to the game. And it was all cool. You know, you have to go through all these Jesus yesterday you think I was going on the lockdown at the house.
Speaker 1: But so to you, it's it's something like a romanticists view of what the game was born to be.
Speaker 7: You weren't thinking so much of the exposure that you were presenting, like like today. But imagine the TV you know, in the crowds, the viewership, you know, the super Bowl, the biggest selling, our biggest or most watched show. Back then, you know, it wasn't like that. But I don't know I traditionalists or whatever, call me. I just I loved it back then.
Speaker 1: But let me let me pose this question to you, though, so six three forty pound linebacker who would have been prepared differently both by training, nutrition, Injuries would be treated differently, surgeries would be treated differently. What kind of linebacker would you have been?
Speaker 7: There's a guy named Arthur Jones who when I retired, I when I moved to Florida, I started working with him, and he's the guy who invented the Nautilists equipment and he he was a no bullsh guy. To go through a real Nautilus workout is you know, it's a bit to do it right.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: He took me through a couple and I, you know, made it a point to get through. And he said, if if I would have gotten you when you were like nineteen, he said, they would have to bar you blaying. He said, because that two sixty you could have been weighing two seventy and been a lot stronger and faster at everything else. And I already had the skill of the game. You know, you could take two guys and okay, granted, you know, a proper training, strength training and all that is good, but if this guy doesn't have some inkling of how to play the damn game, you know, you've got a big guy that's an oath that can't play. And so that's the only thing I was always lacking, the proper training, although I thought I was, you know, I would work out, but you'd no, I didn't live weights because when I was like eight or nine years old. At Griffin Editorium on the South Side, there is where we swam as the city pool and we were on the swim team, so we got a next do you know, you'd have the normal swim, then they'd empty out every the pool and wait till everybody goes, and then we'd go back and practice for swim meets. And so in the meantime, while they're waiting for the pool empty people, we're back there fooling around with weights. And I had this weight over me and I fell backwards and I fractioned like my wrist, and I said, that's an end of that. So what I was actually doing when I was like fifteen, I started working as a furniture mover.
Speaker 5: And that was.
Speaker 7: That was my that was my weightlifting, and it was you know, there's two different ways what we'd call it. You know, positive is like what if you're raising a weight and then lowering it. It's called like negative where you can lower about thirty to forty percent more weight than you could lift. And Arthur used to take me right through a whole negative workout where you just lower the weight and you talk about wanting to feel stiff the next day.
Speaker 5: So we so when I.
Speaker 7: Was working with him, we did an experiment at West Point and the reason we chose West Point, well, first of all, the guy, the strength coach there was a Nautilis guy proponent, so we went there also because those kids, those cadets, you tell them to run through that wall, and they'll try to do it for you, because that's the kind of workout it is to do it properly. So we start, you know, and we're hoping we're going to get some first string football players for him and really help him. You know, I forget the coach's name, but he was scared, so he gave us like all the you know, second third teams. But still they were cadets and they still had that desire. So the first couple of days, I mean they couldn't get to the second or third machine without throwing up or having their pulse goal like up until two twenty, you know, almost the fibrillation. By the end of the sixteen workouts, they were able to go through the whole thing and I get their pulse over one seventy five and they like tripled.
Speaker 5: Their their strength.
Speaker 7: So I mean Shula actually bought the stuff and he helped move the move the equipment in with the Dolphins, so it was, uh, it was a great experience for him, but it was after.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was done, and you know, I'm my god.
Speaker 7: So they hear like Tremaine talk about you know here like their diet and everything else.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: I mean honestly, what were you going to eat after practice or going before practice? What we eat whatever? You can fight?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: Hell we ate?
Speaker 1: Did you guys have pregame?
Speaker 7: Mellah, yeah, stiled steak, load up on all the wrong stuff.
Speaker 5: Make you feel even more loggy? You know that it was the state deal?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I don't know what they have spaghetti or whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's a smartger sport.
Speaker 7: It's a a lot of advances that in the strengthening.
Speaker 5: That's what I missed that we didn't have were you.
Speaker 1: You know, I always are interested about the term instincts because if we have fifty guys in our room that never played football, if we teach them one rep to make a play, how many what percentage of those fifty guys are going to have instincts to play the game. Now you have to have the athleticism and do it. Your instincts were insane well, was the geometry of the game, the angles or how would you define your.
Speaker 7: Well, the way I want to explain it to you is that, you know, I was always since I was eight or nine, because I was the youngest of nine, A couple of my brothers played organized Ronnie he played with the Cardinals for a year or whatever. So I always looked looked up to them. And and like I said, I lived at one hundred and third Street there and there we had a you know, a decent sized front lawn or whatever in a picket fence, and so I got the old skippy jar and that's what I used for a tea and start kicking because they wuldn't let me play with them over at Frienwood Park there on the southside. So I just, uh, I would you know, the neighbors must have thought I was something wrong with me because I'd played by myself. I'd you know, run and play like I got tackled, and and all that stuff carried over to when I got to high school, and it you know, I was I was so in end of the game, you know a lot.
Speaker 5: Of trivial things.
Speaker 7: And that's why, like you know, at CVS, you know, I kicked, I punted, I kicked off, I kicked field goals did I never? I never stepped off the field. And uh and that's the way I liked it.
Speaker 1: So And the story goes, you would have been a potential Hall of Fame center.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what Gibbrian wanted me.
Speaker 7: I wanted me to switch over if I couldn't play linebacker anymore. And I probably could have if I made up my mind.
Speaker 5: To do that.
Speaker 1: But you had a lot of good friends as centers over the years, especially in the division. Yeah, I mean with them, you're an instigator.
Speaker 5: Well, I used to have a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: You know, everybody thought I was so serious, but like you know, Joe Camp would kneel down facing the defense. You know, they'd have the circle huddle, but you know you can get somewhere where you can see, and you just read his lips. And then at the end he had to he tells you to play. You know they always quarterbacks always go on two or on one. Yeah, you know, so they'd come to the line and then I just like real serious, like I Mick, don't forget.
Speaker 5: It's on too, and he, you know, looking like that everybody it's on too. You know, they're just like, is.
Speaker 1: There anybody that you didn't get a look at that you wish you would have?
Speaker 7: Oh, maybe Bradshaw one more time at Bradshaw.
Speaker 1: How did you handle losing? What would you say to players that are still trying to learn how to win?
Speaker 7: Well? I don't think I would be a very good person to talk about losing, because I you know I would. I would take it personally no matter what. Like I was telling tre Men and I said, you know, there's.
Speaker 5: My deal.
Speaker 7: My motivation throughout the years was that you're never going to play a perfect game, so that there's no no resting on your laurels. You can always do better. And and that's what.
Speaker 5: I and when.
Speaker 7: I guess I thought if you lost, you had to feel bad all week. But maybe that was my incentive to do, you know, work extra hard on different things to.
Speaker 5: Avoid that happening.
Speaker 7: I mean, how can you explain I get Defensive Player of the Year when we win one.
Speaker 1: Game nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I always had that attitude that there's there is no perfect game. There's always something extra block, you can make, an extra tackle or whatever. You just never know how important it is in outside telling Tremaine, you know, you.
Speaker 5: Know, what do you do? I figure out what?
Speaker 7: You know, a guy they toss a past to John Mackie breaks and he's you know, thirty yards downfield, and so you run up to him, and so what are you gonna do. You're gonna drag him down to make a tackle or could you grab him and try to punch the ball out? There's no other offensive players around, and so what if he gains five more yards, He's already.
Speaker 5: Made the first out.
Speaker 7: And a number of times that actually happened. So that's one way of almost accepting, not accepting a defeat. You know, here's a guy breaking a long one for a touchdown that should be a touchdown, and you stop them. So there's always always something extra.
Speaker 5: You could do. And that's why I like playing on all the all the teams.
Speaker 7: You know, kickoff, well I didn't play in the kickoff after my first or second year, but everything else I was on all the special teams.
Speaker 5: I just didn't want to get off the field.
Speaker 7: So and that's the way it is, you know, I would think it would be pretty hard to find someone who loved.
Speaker 5: To play the game more than I did. I don't know it's maybe be a cliche, but uh, put up.
Speaker 7: I'd put up the time that I've thought about it and worked on it all those years against anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tommy knew he was going to be a football player in the fifth grade, like you.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's the way we're raised. You know, he's raised on the South Side. I'm raising Joliet. When Pop Warner Football came into existence here in Joliet, Rocky Carnegie, the head coach, came over to our house and told my mom, I know you have two sons.
Speaker 3: We need him for Pop Warner Football.
Speaker 2: Be at Pershing Field on this reporting date and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: So what were we gonna at the outset of the program? You said you had a butt this note.
Speaker 2: I thought, okay, So one time we're going to have to have Jim Morrissey on, who ended up wearing number fifty one, and he tells the greatest story of the first time he came face to face wearing number fifty one, Dick Buckets walked in the locker room. That's a story that Jim is going to have to tell us. But I asked Dick Buckets one time about the Rocky movie when he named his dog Buckus, And I said, did Sylvester Stallone call you beforehand and ask you if he could name his dog Buckets. He goes, no, he didn't, but Dick Buckets has acting in his background, so he says no. But I did run into Stallone at one time and I said, hey, where's the residual we do?
Speaker 3: You know? You name your dog?
Speaker 2: And it was kind of a funny back and forth that they had, And it was out of respect that Sylvester Stallone name is dog Buckus in the movie. But there was never a hole a pre phone conversation say hey, Dick Buckets, we're gonna name our dog after you, and he's going to play a major part in the movie. But I just think it's funny that it's football respect. It's the video respect that Buckus has, and he talks about the love of the game. But then how does it spill over generations and years after one of the greatest movies ever made, in the first Rocky and they named the dog Buckets in Philly.
Speaker 3: That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: I will tell you. As he was sitting there contemplating with that final quote, which is the greatest way to end that interview, if any loved the game more than me and he got emotional, he did, He got emotional. It still means everything to him, the game, the game he played, the game he played when he played, it means everything.
Speaker 2: I kind of got a kick out of him talking about the stadiums that he played in, whether it's Wrigley or County Stadium in Green Bay when they played half games in Milwaukee, half games in green Bay. But in nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty three, when Mark Board started to play offensive guard for the Bears, I saw this video clip when we were preparing for Green Bay the next year. He was rounding the corner in the end and he stepped on that board that was the edge of the end zone in County Stadium, and he twisted his ankle so badly that he had a severe sprained ankle from it. So, whether it's buckis talking about his era or you know, update it until the era that I became a part of the Bears, and seeing that video of that, it's just there's something that he talks about that is an ignition. Switcher reminds me of an event of you know, not his era, but of an era gone by.
Speaker 1: We brought you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears and Busy heart Selter, the official heart Selz of the Chicago Bears. All Right news around the league today, Tommy. Practice squads for all thirty two key teams will be expanded in twenty twenty four to allow for one international player each team, part of that growing international initiative. There are plenty of those players on rosters now, including one here for the Chicago Bears. What do you feel about.
Speaker 3: I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: I love to see development of an athlete that maybe has a unique skill set or a size that you go, you look off in the distance, you go go, oh, look at that guy.
Speaker 3: I would love to have a chance to work with him.
Speaker 2: So it's, you know, from the so the full spectrum of skill set, speed, size, unique talent that you know is developable and so I would like to see him. But as much as them play on a practice squad, I would like to see them first get reps in the USFL or the XFL to get some actual game type of play, and then step onto the NFL field.
Speaker 3: I think you'd become more competitive sooner.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Royan Betica, he's an offensive lineman here for the Bears. He was with the Giants on their practice squad last year and remains on the Bears practice squad.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Most of these guys are defensive lineman, edge rusher's offensive lineman. They're big, big guys, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Chris J.
Speaker 1: Jones could make up to twenty five million this year. He still could be tagged, but he's back with the Kansas City Chiefs. I'm sure he'll play a little bit this week, but you know, you'd expect him to be there when they meet the meet the Bears in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a fresher Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: My belief that on third and obvious that he would be in the game this week.
Speaker 1: Jason Peters at forty one signing with Seattle thoughts amazing.
Speaker 3: It's a credit to Jason Peters.
Speaker 2: You know, here's a guy that's ready and prepared to go in and play, and you know maybe he needs six or seven days of preparation and more power to him. Congratulations. And I wish I had had the opportunity to play at forty one.
Speaker 1: You could have if the back didn't go right.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, if it was the modern day football, I think I would have been able to. I kept myself in shape, and I was still playing a lot of competitive sports at that age, and it just would have been fun to be that old in the locker room and trying to deliver a positive message is to kids that you need them to work harder or put more effort into their preparation.
Speaker 1: Take a chance download the Bette Rivers app today. Final thoughts as we look ahead to week two, twelve o'clock the kickoff from Tampa, Florida, where it's expected to be warm, muggy, and possibly rainy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: What are the keys the victory big time? What are the keys to me?
Speaker 2: I think the Bears if they run the ball successfully, they can expose some defensive coverages that they run really aggressive play action passing, and they have to go out there and run play action as it looks exactly like a run on the line of stitch. Then you get those defensive backs peaking in the backfields and where's Justin gonna go? Who's gonna get the handoff? And I think it'll allow Justin to have more obvious pass opportunities than if you have a dropack.
Speaker 3: And straight uh protection.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: In the throwing game, you talk about play action. Then you're talking about getting Cole Comet involved, getting the running backs involved, given the offensive line chance to fire off the ball aggressively, but not have that blocking a run blocking assignment, more of a sustained run fake assignment. But it's got to be aggressive. You gotta be able to fool the defensive line of scrimmage by making it look like run knowing the whole time you're going to throw the ball.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: For me, it's just protecting the football, especially on the road, that'll be the demise if you can't protect the football and obviously defensively, figure out a way to calm down Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. I mean, I know it's never that simple, but I know everyone's going to talk about and watch very closely third down on both sides of the ball, what happens there, and if the Bears are going to push the ball down the field and whatnot. But you got to start with those cornerstones and figure out a way to stop those two guys and hopefully you'll lead to a victory and be one on one head.
Speaker 3: In the Week three, you got.
Speaker 2: To get to Baker Mayfield. Though, if you know the last thing before you let me go? Is I really am happy for Tarie calling. Oh yeah, he's gonna bring out a practice spot of the Carolyn Panthers. And for a guy what he's been through in the last few years of his life and then the growth that we got to watch from tree callin from the first time we did an event with him to the last time we did an event. I'm really pulling for him, and I hope that he succeeds in Carolina and Frank Reich, who's familiar with him from when he burst out of the scene in the league. I hope Tarik really has an opportunity to expand his career. He's a twenty eight year old young man and so I wish the best for him.
Speaker 1: He's quite the fight, no question about it, personally and then obviously professionally with the injury that happened on that punt return several years ago. All Right, that's going to wrap us uptown. We brought to you by Miller Lite, the official beer of the Bears Tastes like midder Time Chicago. Back with your next Tuesday for our Bears Bucks review and our weekly conversation with head coach Matt Everflus Bears Weekly Thursday night, five pm, ESPN one thousand, a special edition joined by Wadowen Sylvie from Halit's Hall, and again Noon Bears and Bucks on ESPN one thousand. Thanks for listening, everybody, Please subscribe now on the Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcast. Thanks Tom, bear Down, Buddy, get Me Jazz. We'll talk to you next time.