Speaker 1: We're bringing you another compilation of my favorite stories for games with names.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Rob Gronkowski on his first super Bowl Memories.
Speaker 4: We won the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: That's the best part about you.
Speaker 4: That was the best part of that year.
Speaker 6: That was just the super Bowl Club, bronest after the super Bowl Club.
Speaker 1: The first one was pretty special. Fourteen. What are you reading over there, Gronk?
Speaker 5: I'm reading your tweet.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, problem my tweet too, Gronk, you look like a fighter.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 1: They say, oh, you play football from the actor from Flash Gordon me Bud, he's the only best tight end. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh bro, Sorry, that was a great tweet. That was a great tweet. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 6: And then top even I couldn't tackle Gronkowski last night time. You couldn't tackle anyone.
Speaker 4: So I.
Speaker 5: Actually he had one tackle in his career.
Speaker 4: It was pretty nice in any which one the.
Speaker 5: One he had.
Speaker 4: I gotta do some digging on that.
Speaker 5: Oh man, what were you saying though? I was reading, but you were saying something before that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I was trying to read my tweet, but I couldn't read. Oh we were talking about the first one being the sweetest. Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 6: It really was pretty We lost to one versus the Giants in twenty.
Speaker 4: Eleven, and if you didn't get hurt, we would have dominated.
Speaker 5: They know, man, I.
Speaker 4: Know, fucking eli Oh, but it's all.
Speaker 6: Right because then we won this one. And once you get in that Super Bowl club, man, that felt good.
Speaker 4: Felt that's good.
Speaker 1: I mean because you never experienced it exactly, and we were always you know, I was always so sick and tired of hearing about fucking the old Patriots like we exactly because Bill would bring it, you know, Bill would. He was there for so long. You bring up all these cuts. We've seen the same clip of Troy Brown stripping the San Diego Charger in that one. You know, I've seen that clip and marked our era.
Speaker 5: Yet the new Patriots era was here.
Speaker 4: It was it was good, and they motivated us. Those older guys.
Speaker 6: They set the standards. You gotta appreciate the big time. They set the standard.
Speaker 1: But I was sick and tired of hearing about Willie mac Teddy Bruski. Yes, because that's Bill would bring it up every day.
Speaker 5: He would every day.
Speaker 4: And then after this you had to go and win another one. Yes, then you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Just to show them, just to show it was our era.
Speaker 3: Matt Light is up next on Super Bowl Locker Rooms.
Speaker 4: What's your favorite thing you stole from another stadium?
Speaker 7: Like the listen? Is there statue limitations? I mean, I'm not going to jail on your podcast.
Speaker 4: No, Like.
Speaker 7: That's double Jeopardy, Bro, It's gone. That's a good point. Yeah, yeah, it can't be tried twice, there's no way. Gosh, man, the best thing ever? Hey you know so some of my favorite stuff that I have hanging now. We just moved down to Chapatchet, Rhode Island, and in the move I found some stuff that I'd ganged from the Super Bowls. So again I was always the first guy off the field, right. It was like my goal to get to the bar as quickly as possible Bar Louie's baby, and uh, I would rip down all these banners. I remember just jumping up in this running tintingdingding thing thing thing, wadding it up, throwing it tint And I have all these really awesome banners from the Super Bowl eras, like the ones that hang in the hotel.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well we'll get the hotel.
Speaker 7: I couldn't stop myself there either, they'd be like hanging off like a big atrium, and I'd find my way up in there and like.
Speaker 3: Sink sink, sink, sink, sink up next Cooper Cup on his Rams super Bowl victory.
Speaker 4: How was it playing a Super Bowl in your home stadium?
Speaker 1: Was it an advantage because you guys got to stay at home and stuff and stay away from like.
Speaker 4: What how was that? Cause?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it takes away from the experience, but it's also kind of like a baby advantage because you get to be in your own space.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I slept in my own bed until basically the night before the game, which is a huge ad. Like I love that we were in our own locker room, you know, like it felt it what it did. I was thankful I had been to one before, even though I wasn't playing it. I was I saw how much of a build up there is to the Super Bowl and how much it lends itself. Like even when you're the game's about to start, they don't tell you, like there's so much more that's about to happen. Still, they don't tell you the Rock's gonna give them monologue, you know, out there as you're on the field getting ready for kickoff, So like there's all this build up, but then once you finally kick the ball off, it's just it's the game, right, And so I was we had kind of preaching like, hey, guys, this is a game. There's gonna be so much build up to this, just let it be. Once the game gets here, it's just it's the same game. It helped that we were in our own like it was our own rhythm and any other game. That kind of helped lend itself to like, hey, this is this is just like any other game we've played.
Speaker 4: Just go out there and play your game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's got that's kind of an advantage. You get to stay away. You get to have your guys in their own area because half the time there's at least one or two guys that are yeah out past curfew, guy out in Oakland. Raiders went to Mexico. They never came, but like there's always a story. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is. Yeah, it is nice.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 9: Teams just have to start, you know, owners of teams just you start paying seven billion dollars to build a stadium and then they can host the Super Bowl and then get to the Super Bowl when it's your turn.
Speaker 1: Or you could be an owner and you can have a city pay for your stadium and then have people come to your stadium that you own.
Speaker 4: It's a tricky, it's just a tricky, tricky path.
Speaker 9: I think you just make the seven billionaires, make the billion yourself and do yourself exactly.
Speaker 3: And then next up we've got Danny A. Mondola talking about the aftermath of Super Bowl forty nine.
Speaker 8: Tell them the story about how we were after the first super Bowl we won. How we hired that guy to just follow us around with a broom.
Speaker 4: I forget the club.
Speaker 1: We went to the club in Boston, and uh, we just said give us forty bottles of champagne.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: We just started a spraying echo other. It was kind of fourteen remember fourteen in.
Speaker 8: La Yeah, we had started it originated in La at like the beach club. But we go we hired this guy and we got forty bottles of champagne, and uh, they brought him out in a wheelbarrow and then we're like follow us and we just walked. We walked around the whole place and we'd either spray it and then and then bust it. On the ground or just bust it on the ground. And then we gave some We gave a guy some money to follow us around with a broom and like a pale to just to pick up all the broken glass, all broken glass.
Speaker 4: Just like complete destruction.
Speaker 8: All were walking down the street wheelbarrow and then a guy with a broom and we were just chugging champagne, spraying it and breaking down.
Speaker 4: It was a snowstorm that night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was reck We started the night by coming off the There is a lady stuck. We got out of the car. Yeah, we just won a Super Bowl. We got out of the car to push her out. Yeah, got the snow. Yeah, some old lady on the bridge. Dude, Yeah, dude, Good Samaritans over here.
Speaker 4: She's stuck. Old ladies, Louise.
Speaker 3: Now we've got Howie Long on the legends of the nineteen eighty four Raiders Super Bowl team.
Speaker 4: Let's get into the Raiders team.
Speaker 10: I'm looking at this roster and I go Jim Plunkett, guy who goes to New England, number one pick, Heisman Trophy winner Stanford. He gets a mall. Yeah, I think they might have been the Boston Patriots at that point, Yeah, gets maulled and just gets churned out there. You know, an organization that mismanaged and didn't put the people around him and got beat up. And you know, one of the great deep ball throwers of the time and goes to San Francisco. Same thing, bad experience gets mauled. Doesn't fit al Davis. As I mentioned again, it's you know, it's it's guys that Lyle Alzado who had been in Denver and Cleveland and got to the Super Bowl in Denver and got blown out, and you know is a guy that is thirty three, thirty four years old who you know would give his right arm to win a Super Bowl. You know, I'm sure you had guys that come to come to New England like that. Chris was one of those guys. I mean, they come to New England to win, and he came there to win.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: Cliff Branch was, if not the fastest guy on the planet, one of the top three four fastest guys on the planet.
Speaker 1: Was so fun watching him and Darryl Green play in this fucking matchup because Darryl Green was like the fastest guy in the NFL as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that was a fun matchup.
Speaker 10: And Cliff was thirty. I think I don't know what he was at the super Bowl. He might have been thirty three man young. I think it's he's thirty five sixty. He could run a four to fourth week. I mean seriously, I lived with a guy named Cedric Hartman, who was a great pass rusher from San Francisco on they called it, I forget what they called that, Jimmy Page, you know, Cleveland Elam. You know, these guys were really good, and Cedric and I lived together my rookie year and some people kind of questioned the wisdom of that, but you know, Cedric really was a had a great impact on my early part of my career. And Cliff would sleep on our sofa. You know, it was a different time.
Speaker 4: I mean not really.
Speaker 1: I mean we I shared a house with five guys my first three years in my career because you didn't know if you were going to make the team.
Speaker 4: Every year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I'm making my check was one thousand and seven dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, we were making decent money. League minimum was like sixty. But I had to used Coop Deville, powder gray.
Speaker 10: Spoke wheels, the lo our interior and a truly an eight cassette deck where the cassettes were, you know, that big a.
Speaker 4: Track.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and uh, you know Cedric had a red El Dorado and convertible with white interior, and we were we were rolling in Oakland, your law best two gab nose guard you could ever play with, Greg Townshend. I think Greg is, you know, is to me a Hall of Famer Lila Alzato, you know, I mean listen, Uh, he can change the attitude of a room really quickly.
Speaker 4: How he was such.
Speaker 10: A violent you know, the the needle went into the red and he was unpredictable from that standpoint, you know, you based the rest of your day on Hey, good morning, Lyle, you know, and the rest of the day was kind of based on that.
Speaker 6: One of the best nicknames I feel like in nfil is three Mile Asle was pretty good, three.
Speaker 10: Mile Oile because it was like three Mile Island was a nuclear plant that blew up, and you know, you just never knew when he was gonna.
Speaker 4: Blow So was he the team asshole? Who was the team asshole?
Speaker 10: So that was kind of quiet I'm trying to think, I'm looking down the Kenny King was, you know, a great back from Oklahoma. Uh situational guy, Frank Hawkins, really good full back Cleo Montgomery, tough, tough, tough. He he dropped the guy on the plane one time on a guy was he didn't he didn't get up and he and he was one of the quietest guys you could ever be around. And this guy just set got in his seat when he went to the bathroom and you seat your seat on the plane. It's once again, it's that. It's that last blade of grass. It's the push at the end of the play. And he asked him really quietly, very nice, a couple of times and then just ooh, and that that boy's eye close shut on that flight.
Speaker 4: But that's we had a lot of flights like that. That's a real deal.
Speaker 3: Next up, Rob Gronkowski on a Super Bowl parade, Memories.
Speaker 6: In the game that got us in the Super Bowl club as well, the aftermath just overall everything that whole entire year.
Speaker 1: Man, we win the for we win our first Super Bowl in ten years, y'all's first ever.
Speaker 4: Our first parade as well. Yeah, let's hear some parades.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, bro, it was the best party of my life. I've never been to a parade like that in my life.
Speaker 4: We got snowed in. Yeah, we did get They had to.
Speaker 1: They had change parade date because we had a Nor'easter and we got Yeah we got hammered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got hammered.
Speaker 6: There was fifty beers getting thrown at me at one time, Like you had to get hammered. A little fireball shots shot out just to the city of Boston as well. They know what's up, man, They know how to celebrate. They love the Patriots as well. They loved their sports, so without them as well, the prey would never be the parade without our fans.
Speaker 1: Too straight Ferris Bueller's day Off. Literally, that was such a That was the fun. That was so fun.
Speaker 3: What was with the Minions hat?
Speaker 5: Grink? I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: I was leaving my house there was a couple of millions Minions hats on the counter and I just grabbed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, this goes good with it. Minions. I'm about to have a Minion party, a million and milliion drinks.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh dude.
Speaker 6: I almost didn't make the Prey because I was passed out in the airport because I went to Jimmy Kill when I went out in LA.
Speaker 4: I tried making it back.
Speaker 6: I almost didn't make it back and there I was passed out in the airport.
Speaker 3: Now we've got ty law on the impact of experience in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Do you remember anything different going in this year? Guys? This is your third Super Bowl?
Speaker 11: Second, this is you guys lost, No lost my second year, then we won the the Rams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is so this will be your third Super Bowl appearance.
Speaker 4: Right with Did you feel like you had an advantage for Carolina? Carolina?
Speaker 1: Do you have an advantage because you guys experience, Yes, experienced it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we thought we had advantage. But at the same time, we were also those guys before you know, you know, on the come up. You know, we came in and and uh, hey we we wanted to win. So just the last game, as you know, playing and uh as many as you've played in man, it's like anybody can win that game. And they started off hit us with the big one quick, you know what I mean. You know it was a Jake de Loan, you know, he running around, he talking all kinds of ship.
Speaker 4: But now we had we had.
Speaker 11: Tom Brady, you know what I mean. And now by that time, you know it was he was with us. You know first that's Tom Brady. You know who he started to be in that time. Come Tom, motherfucking Brady.
Speaker 4: That's a difference.
Speaker 11: See we had like you we had at Tom Brady. You had Tom and motherfucking Brady. See that, that's who he was at that time. So when you have that, and we knew if we stayed in here.
Speaker 4: You're drinking Tom exactly.
Speaker 1: I had chiseled jaw, avocado yeah, beautiful hair, yeah, skin complexion and how do you smell good after practice?
Speaker 4: Tom?
Speaker 11: So when you got that, man, we were like, we knew what we had. All we had to do is now you don't mess up. Now we don't mess up because we know we give you a chance you don't already proved it time and time getting not just in the big games, but any game you know we're gonna win. And Tom, like I said, I've never seen anybody like him when it comes to being so cool and calm under pressure. Set one man football and that's Adam Vinit Terry, Yo, bro, you talking about somebody is like no fear. You know, I imagine going up there and you guys got to take that free throw as easy as it might be to have to take that all the pressure and everything riding on you. That's why I say they need to bronze his damn foot like Tom need to have his statue, of course, but they need to have a big ass replica of Adam vent terry Foot somewhere around on that stadium, you know what I mean, somewhere Put Adam vent terry Foot up.
Speaker 3: Next, Andrew Whitworth talks about the Rams Super Bowl victory.
Speaker 1: Did you have a template because you guys were there a couple of years, you would think, but it ended up being a home game and then the league actually, which I you know, it's like one of those things for me.
Speaker 4: Hey listen, it worked out perfect. I have no complaints for the young guys.
Speaker 2: I feel bad that we're on that team that never been to a Super Bowl because when we went to Atlanta and play you guys, you get the all. No, you're on the road like we're in a hotel. We're busting the media days. You see all the security.
Speaker 4: You stayed home.
Speaker 2: We stayed in our facility and practiced and stayed to their houses like literally busted.
Speaker 4: Think about that.
Speaker 2: We literally went to the game like it was a home game, and like, hey, the night before stayed in a hotel by the stadium and just rode over to the game.
Speaker 4: And so it was the weirdest week we even did.
Speaker 2: They even allowed us to do our media at our facility, so we didn't even have a media day.
Speaker 4: So it was a weird, weird week.
Speaker 2: It felt like a you know, late December game that you're just at home, and obviously in Cali, you know you have the great weather, so just it didn't even feel like you're playing in the super Bowl. It is very strange compared to going to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Almost could be taken as an advantage though for a young guy, because there was less distraction for sure.
Speaker 2: I just mean like I hated for them that they didn't experience like the allness of what a Super Bowl feels like, right, and that that's what I remember the most. And then you know, really of the game, I just remember it felt like every five seconds I turned around, we lost an offensive player, like wait, who's out? You know, like you're on the side, you know, it's like wait, You're going to get in the huddle and you're like wait, wait, where's our tight end? You're like, oh, wait, where's the receiver? It was just constant the entire game. We were losing.
Speaker 4: Guys. Do you guys get to use your same locker room that game? Yeah? Oh heck, everything was the same. That isn't wild. Yeah it was wild.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. Remember to tune in every Tuesday for a brand new episode and every Sunday for another Games with Names Highlight Year