Speaker 1: Still too sour. Apparently my grind is too coarse. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong and getty. One more thing.
Speaker 1: That's the sort of lingo we throw around, those of us who make our espresso at home with our fancy machines.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and you're going to tell us of how it is which leads me to this, just the whole concept of these sorts of things which I want to talk about a little bit.
Speaker 1: As my son went and watched a blacksmith friend of mine who does blacksmithing. He's a forger, so I'm a home espresso connoisseur. He's a forger. That sort of thing. But a little set up to that is this comedy thing I came across of called the most hipster man in the world.
Speaker 3: He listens to bands that broke up before they formed. He gentrified a taco stand by asking for ioli. He grows his own beard oil. His bicycle has no breaks because stopping is for sellouts. He smokes a pipe, but only indoors, and only while listening to Mongolian throat singing. He gave his baby a typewriter as a toy. He makes his own soap but never uses it. He once ghosted someone for not knowing what a modular synth is. His apartment is furnished with upcycled milk crates from dairies that went bankrupt in the eighties. He once got into a bar fight over a fleet Fox's lyric. He refuses to use Google Maps. He gets directions from indie baristas instead. He discovered kale before it was a super food. Okay, that mass he denies knowing it.
Speaker 1: That makes the point that sort of he grows his own beard oil.
Speaker 2: He's the most hipster man in the world.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking about this over the weekends, and I got my fancy espression machine that I'm struggling to figure out how to use.
Speaker 4: God is.
Speaker 1: A long run, it'll be cheaper than the pods. The pods are actually kind of expensive, you know, if you use curried pods and espresso pods. You add it up. However much coffee you drink a fair amount of money. It'll be cheaper in the long run to do it this way. But I was struggling with this thing. I made my first cup of coffee at like midnight on Friday night. I made decalf to make sure I wouldn't be able to note it was so good. I thought, this is awesome. I'm glad I did. This is the best cup of coffee I've ever had. Then the next morning, when I tried to make caffeinated stuff, It's like, this is horrible. If this was the circle k, I'd asked for my money back. So and that's what I've been dealing with all the week. And then you get into the how course is your grind? And is the drip? How many seconds does it take to make your espresso? Because between twelve and fifteen seconds is ideal? More than that or less than that? Blah blah blah blah blah, all that sort of If you'd said, how coarse is your grind?
Speaker 2: What am I talking about? I might have said skateboarding could have been yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's coffee talking coffee.
Speaker 1: But eist And there are all these rabbit holes of all these different sorts of things and how long you beans, how long between roasting and when you use them? I mean, just all this different sort of stuff, right, But I was really digging it as something to do and just focus on or whatever and try to perfect. And then I got this friend who he always wears a T shirt that says something about being a blacksmith, blacksmith's do it with an apron or whatever. And I asked him about it one time. He said, yeah, that's my hobby. That's what I did. And I said, well, my son really loves it. Anytime we're at a fair or something where they got a blacksmith making stuff, he always wants to watch it. And I said, if you're ever doing that, i'd love it. He said, oh, I have kids come over all the time. I love sharing the craft. So well, that's great, he texted me. On Saturday morning, we went over to his house. He's got this big setup in his garage and he's got the super hot whatever you call that piece of machinery you stick the metal in to get it two thousand degrees so you could actually mold it with a hammer and everything like that, and he started blacksmith and some stuff and we are there for a couple hours and Henry really really enjoyed it. I enjoyed watching it. But it's a very hipster sort of thing in a hipster sort of town that he's making stuff as forging his own steel or whatever. They're Yeah, it is kind.
Speaker 2: Of funny how many of the hipster conceits and you know, to each their own that sounds cool to me. It's very zen. I'm sure it's a hobby. But how many of the hipster conceits are old timey, like the whole steam punk thing. Yeah, you look like, you know, you just came off the prairie in eighteen forty. It's just it's old timey as hip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was talking to him, and over the week, she's really into sewing her own clothes to the most she can. You know, he can't do everything because who's got the time, but as many things she can, she sews her own clothes. And I was just wondering about that because I've mocked this sort of hipster stuff.
Speaker 2: He grows his own beard oil.
Speaker 1: I've mocked this sort of hipster stuff so much. But as I was making this coffee, I mean, there's way worse things I could be doing with my time than trying to figure out how to perfect my espresso beans. Or him with his blacksmithing and his garage and everything like that. He's an it in a college it guy in a college town, right. Yeah, he actually is hoping to get good enough at the blacksmithing and be able to sell enough stuff that he can quit his it job. He just he finds it so much more rewarding. And that's the sort of a thing with the coffee. He finds it so much more rewarding, he said. Spending a couple of hours doing that blacksmith stuff and making something with a hammer and bending it with the you know, the physical part of it and everything like that. Then he gets from his it job, and I got I was feeling rewarded by, you know, making my grind finer and getting the temperature a little hotter and tasting it no too much, Just just that sort of thing. I told the guy. My example of when we first got on on the second farm that we lived in, I was out in this back pasture and I'd set up the giant sprinkler system when I was watering that pasture. I had such a feeling of satisfaction from that I rarely get in life. It's some sort of you know, caveman style. You're able to support yourself, You're able to be self sufficient. I don't know exactly where it comes from, right, figuring out how to make your own coffee, figuring out how to Blacksmith figuring out how to water or field. I don't know, but there's something that goes on there that doesn't happen with a lot of the modern crap we do.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, we could take a turn into AI and how removing people's sense of purpose is going to be terrible, but it occurs to me. I know, you know, I got a pretty good handful of UH friends and golf buddies who are still working, and a pretty good handful that are retired, and a lot of the retired guys who seem happy. They develop passions like that. Like my buddy Rob is like a master gardener, including orchids. He raises orchids, just these exquisite flowers that you gotta know what you're doing and do it very very carefully. So yeah, you can identify what what trips your trigger, but it's absolutely undeniable. What you said. You get a feeling of satisfaction from that sort of thing. That's just joy. It's like deep in UKD. You look like you agree, Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: And I mean my dad's come on this show a few times and he's had an amazing background, you know, paramedic and balmer, judge. One of his favorite things to do on the planet right now is he makes killer sourdough bread. Yeah, and so every now, like probably twice a week, I'll get a picture from my mom of him with his we call them Larry's loaves, with this little loaf of bread that he made, and that's like one of his favorite things on the planet to do.
Speaker 1: That'd be very similar to the coffee thing I'm doing. I'd be trying different temperatures and recipes and yeah this week.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, man, I'm jealous of that. A nice warm slice of sour dough with butter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's the satisfaction of you making it yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So, having mocked the hipster stuff for so many years and I will continue to, I was trying to figure out where my mockery of this sort of thing ends and my understand why people like it begins. Maybe it has a lot to do with how much you freaking talk about it to other people.
Speaker 2: May Yeah, although you know, there's like I dress like, you know again, just came off the prairie in eighteen sixty because it's hip your buddy the blacksmith, you would not hang with that if it was a conceit.
Speaker 1: No, because it's too much work.
Speaker 2: So you've got like the show body conceit hipster stuff, and then you've got like like you're doing with the coffee or he's doing.
Speaker 1: That's different.
Speaker 2: That's investing yourself in learning something and overcoming the challenges that I totally respect.
Speaker 1: One other aspect of all of this that I have found in a couple of different realms of life is how many people, because of YouTube and that sort of thing, can become, you know, support themselves on these kind of things I've come across. I didn't even know they even existed. I know now like ten people people that have coffee related YouTube channels with like two or three million followers in some places where it's all about their expertise and making a cup of expresswo at home, and they just you know, they bought the camera gear and they got a bit of a personality, and they spend some time working.
Speaker 2: On it and.
Speaker 1: It takes off, and you can tell from listening to them they got sponsors and all this fancy equipment gets sent to them because they review it and stuff like that. That didn't that was impossible not that many years ago. I think that's really cool. And there's that for skateboarding or guitars or making coffee or I'm sure there are a gazillion well known bred people every aspect of it. If you're good at something and you got a bit of a personality, you buy a camera, you can you can turn it into a life.
Speaker 2: I wish I had expertise in anything.
Speaker 1: I know me too, other than this.
Speaker 2: And you know it's funny. Oh just asn't aside. I was. I met a friend's son the other day and he said, Joe here has a podcast because he's like in his sixties or late fifties and he doesn't realize to young people, everybody's got a fucking podcast. Yeah right, sorry Hanson, Yeah please, no, No, that's just it's like saying he has a blog.
Speaker 1: You should know he cares. You should say to him, would you like a podcast? I can show you about three minutes how you could have a podcast? Well, I'm on your phone, start talking into it. Look, you got a podcast.
Speaker 2: Allegedly conceivably you know, I you us could you know do like YouTube videos for how to have a good podcast, but the video would be this long. Either got it or you don't. And if you got it, you got to do it a bunch to get better at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting how many people have carved out a niche for themselves, A big niche. You shouldn't even really call it a niche. If you got three million people tune in what you have to say, that's not a niche.
Speaker 2: That's a home run.
Speaker 1: But there's lots of people in every aspect of life that you could possibly come up with. That's a really cool thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Here, here's one. I get a start a YouTube channel about building bird houses, build beautiful bird houses, triple be channel. And the joke would be, I suck at it. I give all the instructions, you know, speak beautifully about and then measure twice and cut once, and then I put it together and I just build the world shitty. It's a bird out because trust me, I would I am so bad at that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd watch the hell out of that seriously all the time. Oh yeah, I would never crack a smile. Oh that doesn't line up, never wink at the audience at all, and every time at the end, I'd be like, yes, yeah, I'm not sure what happened.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Joe.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do the same thing, but with cakes. I don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Make your cake, Joe, come out raw.
Speaker 2: I'll burn myself on the oven the end.
Speaker 1: Of every Birdhouse episode, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: See you next time. Well, I guess that's it. Your next half of Joe.
Speaker 2: Builds Birdhouses, building beautiful birdhouses. Welcome back to Triple B. I'm Joe, Eddy