Speaker 1: Welcome to Dope Labs, a weekly podcast that mixes hardcore science, pop culture, and a healthy dosa friendship. This week, we have a special episode that was recorded live at the Great Northern Festival in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We had so much fun during this live show because we talked about the science of all things winter and what better place to talk about the science of cold and all things winter than the coldest place that I have ever been to in these United States of America.
Speaker 2: And we got a lot of flak tt on Instagram. People were saying, why didn't you tell us you were having a live show?
Speaker 1: Well, y'all are spicy spicy in the comments, but we're gonna go ahead and tell people.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We have a live show on April fourteenth at seven pm at the Boston Museum of Science. So if you're in the greater Boston area, come out and join us.
Speaker 3: Tickets are free.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is register and you can get this same energy on April fourteenth. Yes, there will be a link in our show notes for you to register and come again. Those tickets are zero dollars and zero cents. So we want to see you.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Here's our conversation, recorded live from the Great Northern Festival.
Speaker 4: M I came out too hot, too hot too. You threw your micro my mic back flew off.
Speaker 3: How are y'all feeling?
Speaker 4: Thank you all so much for being here? It is cold. I was like I wouldn't come.
Speaker 3: But we're glad that you be very glad.
Speaker 2: All right, so we like to have a little you know, I don't know anybody here. Has anybody heard Dope Labs before?
Speaker 3: Some people?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 3: Y'all in the lab, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, ok so you already know it's gonna be some cackling in here. We're going to be laughing a lot tonight. For those of you that don't know us. I'm Tt and I'm Zachiah, and we both host Dope Labs, which is our podcast that's for people who like science and for people who are just like I'm not going okay, I'm not quite sure. So we want to have a little bit of fun with y'all. For just a little backstory. Our podcast is built on like our experience as grad students. So I'm a molecular biologist slash geneticist.
Speaker 3: You know, I've done a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of biochemistry, all of that, right, And when I was in grad school, I met TT.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I was starting grad school and I was I'm in material science and engineering, mechanical engineering, a little bit of chemistry, a little bit of bio materials.
Speaker 4: But not really. I'm not going to pretend like I know any biology.
Speaker 2: And so we liked for our podcast to feel like what we think our experience was, which was friendship and science, but not like.
Speaker 3: Dry eyed science, right, a little bit of exciting science.
Speaker 2: And so we graduated, and this is maybe twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, getting on up into the twenty sixteen and seventeen. Anytime we told a joke, we said something that everybody else was saying.
Speaker 3: We should have a podcast, right, if you left.
Speaker 4: A joke, Yeah, isn't that what everybody's doing. Isn't that how it goes?
Speaker 2: So that's kind of where we started, and we just wanted to bring this, you know, care for each other, this passion for science and a passion for explaining science. So I like to say, well, TT says it most of the time that I never meet a stranger, Okay, never, I'm Southern. That's how it works. And you know, we would go out and talk.
Speaker 4: To people and we said she was or most of the talking.
Speaker 1: I was just doing the listening and like, hey, this person may kill us.
Speaker 3: No needs a fear. I'm good in hand to hand combat.
Speaker 2: But if people found out that we were scientists, they would ask questions like, you know, uh, I never figured I never understood, like why is the sky blued? People say it's something you know that's really simple, but can you explain it?
Speaker 1: Or they would ask, I don't understand about buoyancy? How do ships stay afloat? Or they would ask things that were more biological, biological in its background, where Zekiir would really be able to chime in and I would just be listening and you know, sipping my tea.
Speaker 2: But I think what we found is this is where we really loved science, at that intersection of excitement and question asking and accessibility. And so that's what we try to do with Dope Labs, and that's what we're gonna try to do with y'all tonight.
Speaker 3: Okay, also, buckle up, buckleloup, buckle up. All right.
Speaker 2: So when we were saying, like okay, first of all, girl is gonna be cold.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be cold, not ready. Those are the two things that we knew. It's gonna be cold and we're not ready.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell one of t T secrets since she's gonna be upset. Maybe she wanted to wear a snowsuit for this.
Speaker 4: It was for fashion's sake.
Speaker 1: I thought you a would really appreciate it. You understand you and say, listen, I see you, I know what you're doing.
Speaker 4: It didn't come in time.
Speaker 2: But you know, I said, hmm, that could be a good end. You know, when we're talking about science, there's just so much we could start with. When we think about pop culture and what's happening, I said, what will people want to hear from us? Maybe we could talk about the lunar New Year that's happening.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I said, maybe we could be spicy and talk about Joe Rogan.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: But then I said, we should really talk about what's really happening today, and the people aren't really I haven't seen too much on Twitter Instagram about it, but it's groundhouse back.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, I grew up in Maryland, so that's just south of Pennsylvania and punks and tiny phil This isn't him I know him when I see him. Every Groundhog Day, it's like, well, at least in Pennsylvania, it's a holiday, and everybody's waiting to see if the groundhog sees it shadow, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that he doesn't so that we don't have to experience anymore cold winters. But it turns out this morning he did. I think you guys didn't really care because but I've read on the East coast is not very happy about it.
Speaker 2: And so when we started thinking about, you know, groundhogs, now, TT has way more experience than I do with the groundhog, like go way back. Yeah, not so much in North Carolina, we don't really check in with that. But I was like, is there a science to it? Not really, I feel like this is just, you know, people are just having a good time, having a good time. But then we did start thinking, like, how do we know about what's going to happen severe weather events and change in climate. I think that's a big theme of the Great Northern And so, you know, we have been We've had a couple of episodes some of you may have heard them. We've talked about some of the fires that we've seen on the West Coast that we've seen in Australia, and just you know, I think trying to get that sweet balance when we're talking to folks about the difference between weather day to day, like today supposed to feel like minus fifteen okay, and people, you know, if I share that on Instagram, people are gonna say, like, oh, that just shows you climate change. It's not really that warm. Look how cold it is. And I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, We're talking about climate that's over a long period of time, right, And so we're seeing all of these severe weather events tied to increasing temperatures, ocean acidification, seeing melting of snow, and so we're seeing a lot more things that feel like heat waves, seeing way more heat waves. We're seeing you know, hurricanes, way more hurricane activity than I ever remember, now I have to have many years of record.
Speaker 3: I don't have many years of record.
Speaker 2: But we're seeing way more of this stuff, and that still feels like it's related to winter. You know, it's still related to all these things are kind of tied together.
Speaker 3: And so I think.
Speaker 2: We're starting to see a change of people coming around the corner for kind of seeing that we all are tied together, like these borders of what's Minnesota, what's Wisconsin, What's I.
Speaker 3: Don't even know if those are right beside each other.
Speaker 4: Don't We didn't say we need geography?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's a science, but it's not mine.
Speaker 2: And you know, and so you know that's that's really like fake kind of I mean, it's artificial, right, because what's happening on the East Coast, what's happening in the Midwest, all of that is all tied together. What's happening in the North Pole, in Antarctica, in the Pacific Ocean. You know, we just saw a volcano eruption there. All of those things are tied together. And that's because this is.
Speaker 3: All the water that we have.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know what y'all learned in elementary school, maybe about the water cycle. Anybody have a water cycle song that they know? No? Oh, I see somebody saying, maybe it's a spotlight you're saying no, now, no, I promise you. I mean I thought we were having a good time, and so I had a water cycle song and it was like condensation, evaporation, precipitation on my mind.
Speaker 3: Anybody heard that.
Speaker 4: I've never heard that that's hurtful.
Speaker 2: Well, it's all part of the water cycle and it happens all the time.
Speaker 3: That was that second verse. But when we think about that, this is all the water that we have.
Speaker 2: So what's happening in Australia run off on the roads and into the rivers and into greater bodies of water, you know, into different basins. That's the same water from that's ancestral water, right, Like that's water that evaporates your grandma's, mama's water, you know. And when you really think about that, that water has a record, like that water has a memory, and we have to take care of it. One of the things we've been seeing is over time, right when we look at when we think about climate and we think about changes on a really large scale over time, we're seeing some warming oceans.
Speaker 3: And you know, it may feel good for a vacation. You're like, oh it's warm.
Speaker 2: Out here, you know, Oh give my you know, get my selfie, get my pictures off, right, But that's not the only thing that's happening with these oceans. What we're also getting is what I like to call spicier oceans. Okay, Now, anybody suffer from like acid reflux or heartburn. Y'all don't have that either. So y'all didn't know the water cycle and you don't have heartburn. Okay, I'm just keeping I'm kidding, Store, it's just me. It's well if i'm if I'm trying to have a good time, I'm definitely having a roll, lads. Okay, the ocean is is acidifying. Anybody heard of that before? Okay, all right, we got to inform crowds. So when we think about what does it mean to acidify? We know about the pH scale. Have y'all seen alkaline water? Okay, they say, like that's pH nine and above. So if you look at this scale up here over in the blues, that's your alkaline. What else is in the blue bleach is alkaline? I'm trying to think soap is alkaline? The ocean should be neutral. We wanted to be around seven.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: When you start to get over into the acidic areas, you get into like lemon juice and tomatoes and coffee. Those are the things that bother me. And then stomach acid, which is around like pH two. Now our oceans are because of the activity that we're having here as inhabitants of planet Earth. Our oceans are starting to capture a little bit more carbon dioxide, and we're getting this intricate process. I won't take you through the chemistry, but if you ask me later, I will. And we're getting some ocean asidification. And people are like, oh, don't be so alarmed. The pH is only changing, Like we're looking at steps of one here on this scale behind us, But the pH is only changing by zero point like point one, So that's only a little bit. And I said, my friends, okay, you're missing the point. It's a log scale. And so if you guys have seen you know, not to take us back to the past few years and what's happening.
Speaker 3: But we've seen log scale before.
Speaker 2: And so that zero point one percent change or zero point one step change is about a thirty percent change in acidification. So we're getting way more acidic. I don't want to swim in a gin and tonic like, I don't want the ocean to feel like that.
Speaker 3: And it's not just me.
Speaker 2: If you won't do it for yourselves, if we won't change our behavior and stuff for you know, the future generations, at least do it for the delicacies that we love. Okay, So what we know with this like ocean acidification, is that we're losing basically our gems, our treats, our oysters and other organisms that create shells and exoskeletons, crustaceans, anybody like shrimp.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stop asking.
Speaker 4: The thank you them.
Speaker 2: They don't eat anything, They don't eat anything, they don't have heartburn, and they.
Speaker 3: Don't know about the water cycles.
Speaker 4: Just us.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you guys do know some crustaceans and you care about those. And so we're thinking about, you know, when we look at the projection for what the pH of the ocean might be based on the changes that we're seeing now, we're thinking at the end of the century.
Speaker 3: So twenty one hundred.
Speaker 2: It's wild to say that when they've done scientists have done experiments and they're saying, like snails and things that create shells that are in the ocean, the shells are dissolving like within forty five minutes because of the acidification that we expect to have.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, we got to make some.
Speaker 1: Changes, absolutely absolutely, And one of the major changes that we have to also think about when it comes to these delicacies that are in the ocean. That we're thinking about is microplastics. I think all of us are aware that our ocean has a huge plastic problem. And plastic is a really interesting material. I'm a material scientist. So we'll talk about it just a little bit and we'll.
Speaker 4: Keep going plastic. There's no way for it to degrade.
Speaker 1: The plastic that you see in everything that we have in our clothes, that we have in our shoes, that we have in pretty much every.
Speaker 4: Corner of our rooms. That plastic will exist forever.
Speaker 1: It will never degrade, and it has to go somewhere, and one of the places that is going is into the ocean. Right now, they're saying that a majority of the microplastics that are found in the ocean are from textiles, so like clothing and things like that, because apparently y'all are throwing your clothesway in the trash.
Speaker 2: I didn't know people were doing that. I didn't know I had plastic clothes. Content is the fabric of my life. Car tires, Okay, I thought that was rubber material scientists, I defer.
Speaker 4: City dust exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you've been in New York, you know what city does this, you're basically chewing the air.
Speaker 4: It's nasty.
Speaker 1: And then also what's really interesting is another large part of it is road markings. Road markets are actually thermoplastic. So I don't know if you've ever seen some road markings being put down, but like they'll put fire on top of it and helps it adhere to the road. So it has synthetic materials as resin, and it's not just paint. And so when it rains, when it snows and it runs into our sewers, that's where it gets incorporated into our water system and then that eventually gets out into the ocean.
Speaker 4: So there have been a lot of.
Speaker 1: Studies that have been done to figure out how much plastic is there actually in the ocean, and so you know, let's show them. So there was some research that was done with salps and they over eight years, they looked at the gut of over one hundred salps and they found microplastics in all of their stomach. So the reason why they chose this type of fish, I had never even seen this before. It looks like that, yes, is because it's a filterfish. They live in about a mile deep in the ocean and to propel themselves through the ocean. They take water in and then they push it out, and that's also how they eat. So then they became like a really great animal to look at to figure out if there's microplastics. They found microplastics in all one hundred over eight years. So they are estimating that in the ocean that there is about eight million microplastic particles per cubic meter.
Speaker 3: I thought you meant total. We're gonna say total, no.
Speaker 4: Cubic meter, eight million microplastics. So it's a problem. It's a really really big problem.
Speaker 1: And so like I was saying, when you have we have all of these ways for the microplastics to get into our water system, into our ocean, and like Zekiah was saying, this water is all that we have, and it has that closed loop, so it's really cyclical. You know, it rains, it goes into the water, evaporates, goes back into the sky.
Speaker 4: We drink it.
Speaker 1: Now they're finding microplastics in snowpack in mountains, they're taking samples. This is a paper from Europe, but they've also found it in Colorado. So we know that there's microplastics in the snow. And so then you think about the animals that live there, the people who drink water that's really fresh, that it comes from the mountains, and what does that mean for us as humans and as how we consume. So when you think about snow and microplastics in the snow and snow formation, it seems really possible that microplastic could be in the snow that's just falling down onto our streets.
Speaker 4: Because if you think of the structure of water, so h two oz.
Speaker 1: When it's frozen, it makes us really discrete hexagonal pattern, and so as a snowflake grows, it's going to expand in a way that only that fits that hexagonal pattern, which is why snowflakes are always pretty symmetric.
Speaker 4: But they also are never the same, as we all know.
Speaker 1: And the reason why they're never the same is because up in the clouds when you have the water vapor. So some people think that snowflakes start from a water droplet, that's not true.
Speaker 4: It's water vapor.
Speaker 1: That water vapor then condenses onto a piece of dust or a piece of plastic, and that's when it starts to grow. So if you go back one side, you can see that dependent on depending on the humidity. So the amount of water vapor that is in the cloud, and then the temperature at the time that dictates the size and shape of your snowflake. So the colder it is, the more it's the snowflake stays pretty flat.
Speaker 4: The warmer it gets.
Speaker 1: No, the colder it is, the more intricate that the design gets. The warm it is, the more it stays flat, the more humidities, the more water vapor. You could see that it becomes more and more and more intricate. And these snowflakes aren't the same because while they're in the their water vapor state and they're beginning to grow, they're traveling through these clouds, they're flying all over the place, and no two snowflakes take the same path.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like people.
Speaker 1: And so by the time they reach their critical mass and they start to get too heavy to stay inside of clouds, that's when they start to fall down.
Speaker 4: And so when you start to.
Speaker 1: Think about snow and microplastics, it really makes you think about how you know, when we were kids, we were outside and the snowing and you stick it hung up. Now it kind of it kind of ruins that for everybody because you don't want to do that too much. I don't think anymore, because then you might end up pooping legos.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take a quick.
Speaker 1: Break, but when we get back we'll have more from our live show at the Great Northern Festival. We're back, but before we get to today's show, just the heads up that next week we have a really great episode for you. It's all about the connection between our minds and our bodies. We're talking to doctor Suzanne O'Sullivan about psychosomatic disorders.
Speaker 2: So don't miss it. Now let's get back to the Great Northern Festivals. I'm not up for pooping legos, but I think the thing we have realized. So we've been here for a couple of days, and I think the major takeaway I've been having a good time.
Speaker 3: I've been having a great time here. Okay. I came here from Atlanta.
Speaker 2: I put on I bundled up, and I said, Wow, winter is different here, Like y'all are doing stuff.
Speaker 4: No one's staying at home, everybody's out.
Speaker 2: These winters are not created equal. Now winter for me, I'm like, oh, dreary, there's nothing to do. Everything's closed.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's no snow.
Speaker 2: And even the call, even the thought that there might be snow. Uh, there's way less activity than we see here. And so, you know, I just have been like, we could could learn something, We could learn something, you know, maybe we could maybe I need to be here in the winter, like to see all the things that are going on with the Great Northern I don't know if you guys have done anything else that's part of the festival. I mean, you have pond hockey. I see people doing some things. We're gonnahow you a little bit because I have some questions for y'all. You know, people doing all kinds of stuff just outside, having a good time, brewery tours.
Speaker 3: I just don't know. We don't have that, and I want it. I want it. But I was looking.
Speaker 2: When I started looking, I was like, why is you know, I'm in Google, Like, why is winter more so awful? So awful in Atlanta? It's so great here, Okay. So, and I found this different kind of winter that I hadn't heard of. So, you know, we saw a volcanic eruption a couple of weeks ago that was really devastating in the Southern Pacific Ocean in Tonga. And when I was looking at that and looking up different stuff about winter. I came across the volcanic winter. Anybody ever heard of that before? I want to see somebody says, yes, well I hadn't heard of it me either, And we're gonna talk about it real quick.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So a volcanic winter is basically you have a volcano that erupts and it is pushing up so much ash, and you have a sulfur as well that you basically create this cloud of debris and particles in the stratosphere. Now we won't get into like what all those little things are and what's happening.
Speaker 3: I won't walk you through that.
Speaker 2: But what you basically create, or what the environment or the atmosphere creates is now want to switch to summer. You know those little reflective things you can put in your windshield so the car doesn't get too hot.
Speaker 3: It basically creates that in the.
Speaker 2: Atmosphere, right, And so any sun that's coming down gets reflected back any heat, and so what you get is effective winter. So global decrease in temperature two to three degrees globally just from a powerful volcanic eruption.
Speaker 3: And I was like, is.
Speaker 2: This for real when I first saw it, because I hadn't heard of it before. I felt like everybody did a science project with a volcano, they didn't talk about it then, No, And so I was like, wow, I'm not sure. I don't know about this. And I looked a little bit more beyond Wikipedia, and I said, oh, it looks like the last time this happened was in like nineteen twelve. But they can track this back to so many years ago. And I was like, well, what's the real like, what's the real evidence of this? And there is some they're taking full ice cores, So y'all all probably familiar with ice cores. We don't have that, okay, But they're taking these ice cores and going so deep and pulling the ice out, and they can see volcanic ash covering. So if you look at that thick gray ring here in this cylinder, evidence of a volcanic winter.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of like tree rings or the or in rock faces. How they can look back and look at like striations and things like that.
Speaker 2: Now I love this kind of science. It feels really exciting. It feels I can see it with the naked eye, compared to like molecular biology, which is what I've done. But It also feels a little unsafe, like do we know this isn't a load bearing ice core? You know, Like I just feel like we shouldn't take too many of these, you know, punch out right from the earth. I feel like somebody should be regular right the.
Speaker 4: Whole punch in the earth.
Speaker 1: Something's gonna happen, Something bad is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of movies, and that's usually how it starts. Now, this is what I want to ask you all about.
Speaker 4: Yes, we've got questions, we've.
Speaker 2: Got Now I'm interested. I'm gonna tell you I'm in thermal culture.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 2: So y'all are dipping in different hot water bests while it's cold outside. They go from hot water than cold water, then back to hot, then.
Speaker 4: Back to cold. I don't know how many cycles y'all do, but it's different.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 2: Now we don't we haven't figured out the science behind this one.
Speaker 3: But we're trying to.
Speaker 2: Find a way to make it an episode, okay, and we're gonna have to shout out all of y'all yeah, because you know, this is your own thing. So when we do it, we're gonna you know, on social media, we're gonna ask for a call. We're gonna say, hey, let us know what you think. If you've ever done this, I want y'all to call in and tell us. Okay, we want to hear it.
Speaker 1: And so another thing that we found that was very interesting when we were, you know, doing our googles, why is winter is so awful but seems so manageable to people in the Midwest.
Speaker 4: Apparently you are smarter. Yes, I think it's fair. Big up yourselves, Big up to y'all.
Speaker 1: There have been studies that have shown that folks that are in cooler climates are actually smarter. They make better decisions than people in warmer climates. And the studies that they were doing is that they would have so apparently a comfortable temperature is seventy two degrees. I know that probably sounds balmy to y'all, but so they put folks that were in a room colder than seventy two degrees five five degrees and then warmer, and they gave them a series of tasks. In almost one hundred percent of the time, the people who were in the cooler rooms performed way better. And it's not even that they were able to perform better. They were able to choose routes.
Speaker 4: To get to an answer that made more sense.
Speaker 1: They were more logical and they didn't stray away from complex thinking.
Speaker 4: The people in warmer in the warmer rooms.
Speaker 2: They would always just kind of take the easiest route to be able to finish whatever they were doing.
Speaker 4: So that was really really interesting to me, and I said, Wow, I guess, I guess maybe the people.
Speaker 2: In Minnesota know what they're doing and they they've got it. They've got it all figured out. They know exactly what I mean. I saw the skywalking.
Speaker 4: That seems smart, genius, smart genius. I was like, you don't even have to go outside. This is perfect.
Speaker 2: But then I was like, are they smarter because they also do things like this, and y'all seem to do it a lot and like to do it, and I don't really understand. It feels dangerous, it feels very dangerous. But luckily for y'all, I've taken a lot of physics, so I was able to I was able to understand it a little bit more so for someone like the ski jump.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've all seen it. The Winter Olympics is upon us. We are very excited about it. With the ski jump. They go down that long ramp and they launch themselves into the sky and they all make the same shape with their body, and that's intentional, of course, and it's because of physics.
Speaker 4: They're making this shape with.
Speaker 1: Their body that is one aerodynamic but also gives them the ability to fly, so it gives them lift. So it's the same thought process, the same physics that's used for airplane wings. You can see that the shape is roughly the same. Right, the air that's passing over a ski jumper is going a lot faster, and what that does is it creates a difference in pressure, so there's higher pressure beneath them, and that pushes them up into the sky. Now they don't have an engine on their backs, so they got.
Speaker 4: To come down to the ground.
Speaker 1: And that's well, that's not the only part that scares me, but they got to come down to the ground. So once they reach their peak, they start to make their way down, they change the shape of their skis and then when they hit the ground, they always make sure they have bent knees and they are able to distribute the energy that they have accumulated from going down the ramp so fast, flying through the sky and distribute that energy into the ground and not into their bones and crash. So that is something that I think you gotta be pretty smart to be able to do that.
Speaker 4: So it lines up with the science.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we gotta figure it out, Like y'all know something that we don't know yet on the East coast. Yeah, because meanwhile on the East Coast, a few weeks ago, we got a whopping four inches of snow. Okay, imagine it.
Speaker 1: Was a dark time for us.
Speaker 4: We were struggling. These people, these are real pictures.
Speaker 1: They were stranded overnight on the highway from four inches of snow.
Speaker 4: Because we don't know what we're doing.
Speaker 2: And there's a warm temperature decisions Okay, they need to lower the temperature when they decide how we're going to prepare for.
Speaker 1: The snow exactly. And I mean we've had This isn't the first time this has happen.
Speaker 2: Now, this a couple of Ooh, I don't know how long ago it was, but t T and I were in grad school.
Speaker 3: This is in Durham, North Carolina. Yes, this is a story were gonna tell often, but y'all are our.
Speaker 2: Friends now, so yeah, we're gonna tell it. We both are in the lab and I'm like, oh girl, it's gonna snow today.
Speaker 3: They always say it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna snows neverth Carolina. And I'm like, hmmm, we're gonna go out, you know. So we're gonna do our experiments, set everything up. We can go out after after our experiments are done. And then they're like, no, no, the ice is coming. It's ice and snow. Everything comes to a screeching halt. So we're at Duke at the time. We're in the labs, but Duke is a major employer in Durham, North Carolina. But also when Duke makes a decision, so does everybody else. So the whole city of Durham just says two o'clock. Everything's canceled, everything's closed.
Speaker 4: Crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: So we both park in the same parking garage. I was on like the top floor. It took us so long to get down out of the garage, and I said, tit grow, What do you think is happening? So we're facetiming each other okay in the car because we've been in there so long, and I said this, you know, it's been thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: That's a long time to be to.
Speaker 2: Be in the garage trying to get out, and the things I'm thinking about are like, so much exhaust?
Speaker 3: Should we all be here like this? You know, it doesn't seem right now.
Speaker 2: Normally the cars come and go, so you have time for this stuff to clear.
Speaker 3: Do I have enough gas? I waited the last minute for everything. Do I have enough gas? If we continue to wait here and idle, I.
Speaker 4: Thought we were gonna have to sleep there.
Speaker 2: I mean, just to give you a taste of the level of panic. We're in line, waiting to get still waiting to get out of the garage, and somebody comes and knocks on my window, and it is a woman from my lab. She said, can you take me home to Chapel Hill, which is about thirty minutes from here. I'm like, girl, I've been here thirty minutes. I haven't moved, but one level, I won't be able.
Speaker 3: To take you home.
Speaker 2: I said, what about your car? She said, I'll just leave it. Just take me as far as you can, as far as you can go, and then I'll get out of our walk. I mean, people were making those types of decisions at four inches of snow, and I thought that she was being wild.
Speaker 3: But when we made it out to the street, When.
Speaker 2: We made it out to the street, it was as if the apocalypse had happened. People had abandoned that abandoned their cars.
Speaker 4: That's the reason why we were stuck.
Speaker 1: People just got out their cars and left their cars there.
Speaker 3: I know that would not fly here.
Speaker 4: I know y'all wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: Had first of all, the streets would be clean, yes, And people were just leaving their cars parked at the light, and so we were waiting.
Speaker 4: Behind cars and didn't have people in them.
Speaker 1: We both lived less than five miles away from campus. It took us four hours to get home.
Speaker 3: I thought they learned something from that.
Speaker 4: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't. They didn't, they didn't.
Speaker 4: We haven't learned a thing on the East Coast.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that gets really impacted on the East Coast when things like this happened.
Speaker 4: I know you saw in those pictures that there were some trucks.
Speaker 1: The trucking industry gets severely impacted every time something like this happens. Like we make jokes about it, but there are truckers that are really struggling because they are trying to get us the things that we need in our grocery stores and the things that we are adding to cart on Amazon. So one of the episodes that we did recently was about the trucker shortage, and calling it a trucker shortage kind of is misleading because there are over ten million people with a CDL, so a commercial what.
Speaker 3: Is cdo commercial drivers.
Speaker 4: Like commercial drivers?
Speaker 1: But only a third of them are trucking And there's a reason. There's the reason for that is because the trucking industry is modeling themselves after the fat food industry, and what they bank on, what they hope for is that they can get people that are really excited, dedicated to become truckers and then they burn them out and then another person will come in right behind them.
Speaker 2: That sounds a little bit like nursing science academics.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yes, right, it sounds like a lot of industries and you can that. I'm telling you go back and listen to this episode because you'll find that there are a lot of tactics that overlay in a lot of the industries that we work in. And so you'll start to be like, wait a minute, are you trying to what's going on here?
Speaker 4: And like all of these ways.
Speaker 1: That we're being monitored and managed and being asked to put out really really high productivity rates that seem impossible. It all goes back to the the invention of the factory in the assembly line. What they did is that they had this thing called scientific management where they would find the biggest, toughest guy in the in the whole factory, and they would say, over the next hour, I want you to make as many of these things as you can. And if he could make a hundred, they would say, that's the that's the line. Everybody needs to be making a hundred of these an hour. And so then they would dictate what your productivity or how productive you were based on that benchmark.
Speaker 2: And that's the same tactic that they use in a lot of different industries, including the trucking industry. And so when we have things like that, should we call the snowstorm.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, we didn't have any This is my actual grocery store.
Speaker 4: We didn't have any food.
Speaker 3: This is a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 4: This is a couple of weeks ago. I've been eaten since then. This is my first time eating. There was no there was no food.
Speaker 1: The only food that was on the shelves were things that were prepackaged, so you couldn't find any fresh vegetables. There's no meat, there was no milk, there was nothing.
Speaker 3: There was plant milk.
Speaker 4: There was plant based milk, which is just fine, but there was.
Speaker 1: A lot of people were everybody came to the grocery store. We all just stared at the empty shells, like, what is actually going on? And it's because of all this backup and there's not enough truckers that are being valued and put into a situation where they can flourish and do their jobs and do their jobs for a long time. And so that was one of the things that we found when we were researching for this episode. Lap thirty nine ad Decartes. Seventy percent of all freight is transported by trucks.
Speaker 4: The average truck driver on.
Speaker 1: The road is driving twenty one days out of the month and doing fourteen hour days.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of time.
Speaker 4: I don't do anything that much.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you sleep that long.
Speaker 4: I can sleep for a very long time, yes, but even that I can't do that for that long.
Speaker 2: I feel like we really got to give the truckers their props, right, like and you know, when I was a kid, I used to go like this when I saw it, Yes, I feel like we need to like do this, but then do a heart. Yeah, like we should do something when we see them.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they're working very very hard and they really don't get the necessary props that they should be getting. And the other thing is that they don't also don't get any money when they stop yea like when they stop driving, when they're when they're dropping their goods off, the clock stops, they stop making money. And so there's a lot of initiatives out there that's trying to get them better pay for their work, but it's just really, really tough. So that's what happens on the East Coast. I mean, I think it again to go back to the if it's colder, you're smarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we haven't quite figured.
Speaker 2: We haven't we're not cold enough, but you know, yeah, you really have to kind of say, like we should learn from each other. So I'm gonna try to take some tips that I see you around here. When trying to take some of that back with me to Georgia, you'll maybe take something back with you to Maryland. And I know y'all all probably I'll probably take food. She will, she will, And y'all have been rocking with us throughout this. And you may say I thought they were talking about winter. How are we talking about trucks?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think we just are really excited to show you were just giving you just a tiny sliver, like if we had a pie, not even a full slice of what is like between us right like this, you're in our brains, you're with us, You're with us, and so you know, although we were talking about winter, I feel like just a recap.
Speaker 3: We've talked about quite a few things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We talked a little bit about climate, and then we jumped into sharing all of this water, and then we said, let's do it for the bivalves, you know, so that's that's where our muscles and oysters and crustaceans too, even though I don't really rock with them.
Speaker 1: And then we talked about plastic snow, We talked about volcanic winter. My friend told us all about those cores, those load bearing cores.
Speaker 2: And I think I've really settled on winter is underrated, Like y'all are doing it right up here.
Speaker 3: Winter's underrated.
Speaker 4: It is, It definitely is.
Speaker 3: You've sold us, you've sold us.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've learned a lot about the physics of winter and how you all are able to maneuver on the ice and fly through the sky no problem.
Speaker 2: But our overall thing that we got a lot to learn from you. We have enjoyed our time with y'all, and unfortunately I think it's over, but we have enjoyed you and we hope that you will continue to check us out, share us with your friends.
Speaker 3: Yes, just as a reminder, we're only on Spotify, but.
Speaker 2: It's free, and it's every Thursday and you can get as many doses as you're like.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's it for Lab fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Call us at two zero two five six seven seven zero two eight and tell us what you thought. Hopefully that convinced you that you need us near you live. Soon you can give us an idea for a lab we should do this semester by calling us again at two zero two five six seven seven zero two eight.
Speaker 1: And don't forget there's so much more for you to dig into. On our website. You can see a cheat sheet for all the previous labs, additional links and resources in the show notes. Plus you can sign up for our newsletter. Check it out at Dope Last podcast dot com. Special thanks to the Great Northern Festival for having us.
Speaker 2: You can find them on Instagram at the Great Northern Festival.
Speaker 1: And you can find us on Twitter and Instagram at Doe Blabs podcast.
Speaker 2: TT's on Twitter and Instagram at d R Underscore t Sho.
Speaker 4: And you can find Zakia at z said So.
Speaker 1: Doe Labs is a Spotify original production from Mega Owned Media Group.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Jenny Radlett, Mask and Lydia Smith of WaveRunner Studios. Our associate producer from Mega Ohmedia is Breanna Garrett. Editing in sound design by Rob Smerciak, mixing by Hannes Brown. Original music composed and produced by Taka Yasuzawa and Alex Sugier from Spotify. Executive producer Corin Gilliard and creative producer Miguel Contreras. Special thanks to Shirley Ramos, Jess Borison, yasmin Afifi, Kamu, Elolia, tillkrat Key and Brian Marquis. Executive producers from Mega Owmedia Group, r us T T Show, Dia and Zakia Watts
Speaker 4: H