Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg business Week Inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business Week Weekend Podcast. This past week, politics Powell, and a pulse on the consumer. As we often do, we have our own takes on it all, plus a story on luminous lows and the rise of bathroom selfies that to come a bit later on. Coming up this hour, climate change, which popped up a little bit along the campaign trail and at the DNC the Democratic National Convention this past week. And while many talk about the role of evs in combating climate change, how about reving up on e revs plus checking out how we are all doing courtesy of a shopping basketful of retailer news, and from a member of the Bloomberg Business Week team, his personal with a freak diagnosis that led him on a trail to a better way. All of that to come. We begin with the DNC, which wrapped up this week with Vice President Kamala Harris officially accepting the Democratic nomination for president. Climate change came up a little bit among the many speakers, and while electric vehicles have long been considered as playing a big role on the path to a greener future, this past week Ford announced a further scaling back of its EV ambitions as it scrapped an all electric three to ROZW SUV, possibly costing the automaker as much as one point nine billion dollars in the process. Ford also postponed a next generation electric pickup and reduced spending on evs to thirty percent of CAPEX, down from about forty percent previously. However, Ford's CEO, Jim Farley, is particularly high on a type of hybrid it's called extended range Electric vehicles are erevs that have taken off in China. These are evs that also have a small internal combustion engine on board whose sole purpose is to automatic recharge the battery, and that gives them a whole lot of range. We're talking about more than six hundred miles on one charge compared with the typical three hundred sounds great, right and while Forge Jim Farley is keen on them right now. If you live in the United States, you can get them to understand why. My co host Tim Steneveek and I caught up with Keith Naughton, Bloomberg News Auto reporter.
Speaker 3: You know, a traditional hybrid, like the Toyota Prius that's been around for over twenty five years. It's primarily run by the internal combustion engine. That's what turns the wheels, and then the car's electrical system and breaking Kinnecticut. Energy from breaking recharges the battery that's also in a hybrid that supplements the internal combustion engine. But the driver in a traditional hybrid is still the internal combustion engine and the battery is sort of the backup. These extended range electric vehicles e rugs as they're known, kind of flipped the script on that they are primarily driven by the battery. They run on electricity about ninety five percent of the time.
Speaker 4: However, there is.
Speaker 3: A small internal combustion engine on board that is not connected to the wheels. It's only connected to the battery and it recharges the battery. So if you're driving on a long trip, you know, three hundred miles or more, you're going on your vacation, and you know the battery is running down, the internal combustion engine automatically clicks on and recharges the battery. You don't have to do anything, and you also don't have to stop at a roadside charging station and sit there for a half hour or more while it charges. So it extends your range, I mean up to seven hundred miles.
Speaker 2: This sounds like Okay, Holy Grail found this sounds brilliant, is it not.
Speaker 3: It is a very smart solution, and it especially addresses the things that have become roadblocks for pure electric vehicles.
Speaker 4: Range anxiety.
Speaker 3: We've all heard about range anxiety, right, that's a big issue in America. It's a big country with not all how to charging stations yet and price because these e revs don't require as big a battery because you have that internal combustion engine backup, so the battery is about half the size. Well, that lops four thousand dollars off the price of the car compared to a pure ev OK.
Speaker 5: Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Yeah, you might be excited about it, but I know some folks who aren't. The Sierra Club, for example, as you point out in your.
Speaker 2: Piece, so not so great for the environment.
Speaker 5: They're saying it doesn't go far enough.
Speaker 3: They want they want zero emission vehicles. They don't consider the Toyota Prius a green vehicle anymore. They believe that if you're not zero emission, you're not helping to solve climate change.
Speaker 4: Toyota, by the way, has a very different point of view on that.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you think about what goes on with these vehicles, they are mostly running in electric power. That means they actually emit fewer you know, global warming gases carbon dioxide than a Prius does.
Speaker 4: So you know it is no.
Speaker 3: It is not a pure ev not a zero emission vehicle, and that is the issue in Sierra Club has.
Speaker 4: But it goes a lot farther than traditional hybrids do.
Speaker 2: Right now, what is what are the emissions on the what are they called erevs, e reps? What are the emissions on them?
Speaker 3: Keith, Well, Carol, it kind of depends on how often that internal combustion engine goes on. How often you take a long enough trip to nearly drain the battery and the engine has to kick on.
Speaker 4: So that's pretty rare.
Speaker 3: I mean, what automakers tell us is, you know, the average you know, daily commute for Americans is under sixty miles. So you know, when you have a seven hundred mile range on your car, you're not going to get to that internal combustion engine need until deep into that range. So you know this, Jim Farley, the CEO of Bard Motor Companies, these cars are running on nine electricity, so yeah, you know that's far fewer commissions than you would get from a hundred.
Speaker 2: Hey, Keith, help me know what I'm doing right now better than what you are doing him right now?
Speaker 5: What my super real?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Just saying same with me? Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Still got nowhere to charge in New York City, like you know, parking.
Speaker 6: On the streets.
Speaker 5: But that's it's a little bit of a niche issue that only affects New Yorkers, and New Yorkers normally have cars anyway.
Speaker 3: Addresses that, I know you have a question, but that would address that the city dwellers, the apartment dwellers who don't have a garage charger overnight, you know, they they don't have to be plugged in every night.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: Cars go for a very long distance.
Speaker 5: Before I ask you how I get one, which is a long answer because it involves many years moving. I'm curious about efficiency, and you know, when that gas motor does kick on to charge the battery. We think of efficiency when it comes to internal combustion engines. Here is miles per gallon. How many miles per gallon in battery life do you get when that gas engine kicks on to charge the battery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know the answer to that question, Tim, it's a good one, but again it's it depends on getting to that point where you need the gas engine to click on.
Speaker 4: I talked to one person for the story who was over in.
Speaker 3: China and wrote around with a friend who had an era, you know, for the entire time he was there, and they drove all over the place and the gas engine never came out.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: All right, So here's the question, Carol, hurry, because I got another one. How do you get one? You got to go to China for now, right.
Speaker 4: A moved to China.
Speaker 3: But but they are coming. The first one will arrive in the US next year is Stilantis, you know, the Chrysler parent company that also makes Jeep and Ram pickup trucks. As an E rev version of its Ram fifteen hundred pickup truck. They're going to call it the Ram Trucks.
Speaker 2: It is such a picker truck kind of exactly, no problem there, anyway, go ahead, good with the car seats to do for the kids.
Speaker 3: So Stilantis says, the RAM charger will have a driving range of six hundred and ninety miles, And they say it's being built in their words, to pull in an entire skeptical demographic into the electric age, because this seems to be the answer to mainstream buyers concerns about electric vehicles.
Speaker 2: You know what I love in your story. You say America's seat of the market for E revs to the Chinese, just as it did a decade ago with battery technology, which China now dominates. I just think about the mistakes that maybe we make as a country right in terms of thinking about the technology that we need to be focusing on. And I do wonder ken the US. Will the US catch up? Is this the way really forward?
Speaker 4: It's an excellent point. Carol.
Speaker 3: General Motors actually pioneered E revs fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: With the Chevy Volt.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember this car, but it was a small sedan that ran primarily on battery power and had an onboard internal combustion engine to recharge the battery. They did that, it didn't sell that well. It was expensive to make, so they lost money on every car they sold, and they eventually pulled the plug in twenty nineteen as they were moving away from hybrid like vehicles and going to pure eves. GM's now bringing back plug in hybrids in twenty twenty seven, but they won't commit yet the same it's going to be an e rev so far only stillanthus even though Jim Farley, as I said, expressed all sorts of enthusiasm for e revs he has in a couple of different forms since he came back from a visit to China in the spring Ford doesn't have one.
Speaker 4: That they say is coming yet. Some of this could be related to regulation.
Speaker 3: It's not clear yet how the US regulators will treat it. It probably won't get the same kind of benefits that a pure electric vehicle will, you know, the seventy five hundred.
Speaker 4: Dollars tax credit and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a little reluctance from US automakers to feel these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do wonder though, something like this how it might move people to actually say, oh, I can get that. That makes more sense to me. Having said that, you understand this industry so well and the cycles and the challenges and the move that we've seen over the last few years into evs in a big way. Do you think this is what we will ultimately see all of the big American automakers focusing on. And maybe it takes a year or two, but this is maybe the root forward.
Speaker 3: It does seem like an ideal solution for America, where we have the most range, anxiety and these things. This technology works the best on the vehicles we love as shoe these and pickup trucks. It lowers their weight to extend their range. It just seems like a technology that would actually have a consumer pull instead of a regulatory push, which is what we've seen with so much green technology. Everyone I've spoken to about this technology are they're like, you, guys, how can I get one? You know, people are telling me about the story that yes, they've read about them, and they want to know where they can find one. So it just Jim probably calls it an in between solution, and it is.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's the bridge to the electric future.
Speaker 3: Whatever, But it seems like something that would resolve a lot of the issues that people have with electric vehicles but still get them to drive one and.
Speaker 2: Better than a hybrid in terms of impact on the environment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, Keith, if okay, we could get the RAM next year, potentially, when's Jim Farley at Ford going to have something out for us or is there a chance that we could get some of these Chinese vehicles in the US anytime soon?
Speaker 2: I think have you read headlines lately seen on an election.
Speaker 5: Also Keith's story and at the end he talks about this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so President Biden wants to put one hundred percent tariffs on Chinese evs, right, and i'm Chinese cars in general, and Donald Trump wants to be even tougher. So getting the Lee Auto L six or L nine that I that I cite in the story and have pictures of which do wonderful things beyond just having.
Speaker 4: This great range.
Speaker 3: Getting them here anytime soon not likely. So it's really up to the automakers in the United States. Not just the US automakers because that would just be g important testa right, but the automakers who operate in the United States to a Nissan, the Germans, you.
Speaker 4: Know all of them.
Speaker 3: And by the way, BMW had one too, called the I three that then they've stopped making.
Speaker 4: So they know how to do it. They just have to come back into the market with.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody for your barbecue this week in our next cocktail party, talk about e revs and read this unbelievable stuff.
Speaker 5: I love it, very cool.
Speaker 2: This to me sounds like answer all see you're buying that ram not and thank you so much. Bloomberg News Auto reporter Jenning us there into trick.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm. Easter Listen on Apple card Play and then Bright Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We got a patch of news from retailers this past week. Target ended a string of quarterly sales declines by focusing on cutting prices on essential goods, winning over inflation hit consumers who are pulling back from other retailers. Meanwhile, Macy's slightly missed analyst estimates for its quarterly revenue and load its outlook for sales during the rest of the year, citing increased discounting by competitors, and a more cautious consumer news too out of TJX and Walmart as well. For the roundup, Tim and I leaned on two members of the Bloomberg Intelligence team, Jen Bartashis, senior retail staples and packaged food analysts, and Mary Ross Gilbert, senior retail analyst.
Speaker 7: What Target has really done is they've honed their focus. They've listened to their customers. They've looked at waste, reduce prices and make things more affordable or offer more value to people. And they've mixed up their assortment. They've added new things, They've tried to make things fresh, new to appeal to those customers. And for the first time in several quarters, we're seeing positive traffic both in stores and online, and that sets them up for a strong second half of the year.
Speaker 2: So can we assume that they've kind of changed strategy or is this just whoa, we just got it right right now? How do we guarantee that this continues?
Speaker 6: Jen?
Speaker 2: You know, it's always like, all right, great, what are you gonna do for me next quarter? And the quarter after?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think this is where actually one of the interesting divergences is where you see where Target is versus Macy's, which is not doing as well. Where you Target is pretty good at being quick to pivot and quick to implement strategy. And when you think about things more in the discretionary category, that takes a little bit of time to get the assortment in, get it designed, get it produced, get it in stores. And it's in stores now, and so you know, I think that what they've got in progress will last for at least another couple quarters. The question, as you said, Carl, is can they stay on top of whatever the consumer tastes changed to over the course of that time.
Speaker 5: Shrink this was an issue over the last couple of years for the company. I remember them citing Shrink for the reason to close stores in certain parts of the United States. There was some debate whether or not that was actually the reason. Putting that aside, what do we learn about Shrink in the most recent report, Well, Shrink.
Speaker 7: Is actually getting better.
Speaker 5: And this is the idea of stuff getting stolen or just.
Speaker 7: Disappearing right exactly. It's things that are either lost to theft primarily or through damage in the store. And so what you know, there's been a combination of new technology implemented at the front end when you're checking out to help make sure that people are being upront and honest when they're using self checkout, but also it's that the consumer is a little less frantic and that was leading to some of the theft issues that they were having. So a combination of those, they actually realized more benefit from a reduction shrink this quart than they expected. They should receive a little bit of benefit next quarter, but not nearly as much. So the benefits from that coming down is probably realized for the most part and will be less of a tailwind as we go through the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: All Right, So I think about Target and I feel like for such a long time they stood out as a retailer just you know, innovative, interesting, cool. Who is their customer? And I guess I want to I'm curious about that because how much that is tied to what goes on in the economy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Historically Target's core customer has been sort of that middle income consumer, and you know, some of the higher part of the low income consumer as well, and you certainly had higher income households there, but the core was that middle income and so you know, what we've seen is that when Target refocuses on things like value, that resonates with that core consumer when they are you know, for example, for back to school, they were advertising five dollars backpacks, school supplies, you know, at a discount. Those are things that will help get their core customer excited and back in the store.
Speaker 5: Okay, the big everything taken together, and we're going to talk a little bit later about Macy's and about TJX. But taken together, what do the results tell us about the American consumer big picture?
Speaker 7: When you're looking at these retailers, whether it's Walmart from last week, Target today, you know, these retailers that are serving that middle income, lower income household, what they're seeing is that consumers are still spending, but they're being cautious about what they're spending on. They're making very careful decisions. And so as you've seen some prices come down, for example, we are seeing food inflation easing. We are seeing shelf prices come down for some items. That gives consumers a little bit more flexibility to perhaps get back into some of the more discretionary items. And you know, if you think about it, if you go to a fast food restaurant and it value me was fifteen dollars and you could spend that fifteen dollars or you could spend fifteen dollars getting two T shirts for your kids at Target. Those are the kinds of decisions that consumers are making, especially in that income bracket.
Speaker 2: Hey, one last question, Walmart getting rid of it? It's JD dot Com and China. How do we need to think about that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I think this is a strategic exit for Walmart. You know, they traditionally will go into partnerships, learn a lot from their partners, learn how to do things themselves in it operating in a foreign market, and then take over that execution themselves. You know, I think when you're talking about China, a lot of retailers have become much more targeted in their strategy on how they're going to execute in that market. And to me, this exit from JD dot Com is really just an amplification of some of the policies and procedures and ideas that Walmart has had with their international business.
Speaker 2: All right, great stuff, as always, Jen, Thank you so much. Jen Bartasha, She's senior Retail Stables and Packaged Food Analysts for Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 5: Okay, so target shares maybe surging, JD not so much, Macy's not so much. This after the company cut its net sales guidance for the full year. It's cited a more discriminating consumer and heightened promotional environment. Mary ross Gilbert is Bloomberg Intelligence a senior retail analyst. She joins us from Los Angeles. We have known that Macy's has been facing struggles for years at this point. What did we learn that investors did not like so much in the most recent quarter.
Speaker 8: Well, I think what investors didn't like so much is the fact that they missed their top line estimates. So they are looking for a sales decline, just not to the magnitude that they experience. So what that meant is that they're comp sales and we're really looking at just the go forward store base because they are planning to shutter one hundred and fifty locations. But those stores and their name plate were down over three percent on a comp basis. And the reason, look, Macy's face's secular challenges as an operator. They're less convenient because they're large department stores and they're facing the competition from more convenient and competitive shopping options. And this includes not only some of the specialty apparel retailers within the mall, but it also means that some of the more promotional or off price operators, such as a TJ Max.
Speaker 9: So when you just think about the overall.
Speaker 8: Competitive marketplace, but also you should note that Macy's is also very promotional. Almost every day they're advertising a promotion. And if you click on Macy's online and then you start to go away, it'll immediate flash, hell we'll We'll give.
Speaker 9: You twenty five percent off.
Speaker 8: They don't want you to leave, so they're doing what they can. But the one thing that we did see in their numbers is that this new initiative, which only began in the first quarter with the new CEO, Tony Spring, who came from Bloomingdale's and really right side of that business, what we did see is that the fifty new stores that they've enhanced, what did they do.
Speaker 9: They brought back service.
Speaker 8: Service has been absent from department stores for many, many years.
Speaker 9: They brought it back in these fifty stores.
Speaker 8: They enhanced the sortments, so that meant that they brought in new brands like Carl Lagerfeld Avec, Lemie, Donna, Karen and French Connection and that is growing sales. So their comp sales lifted one percent, out performing the rest of the Go Forward stores by four hundred and seventy basis points, so that's huge. The other thing they did those stores are brighter, they're cleaner, they have more modernized signing, and then of course they have sales people in handbags and shoes, in fitting rooms and in ready to wear for both men's and women's and that is really giving them the lift. The problem is is they need to move faster and they need to extend it across the rest of the Go forward stores in order to be successful. So I think what investors are not happy with it's not moving fast enough.
Speaker 2: So Mary, essentially, bottom line, Macy's has figured out kind of the secret sauce of what they need to do. They just got to kind of make up the batches and get it out to everybody. Is that's essentially they just have to move quicker, like they've figured it out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Carol, I think they do.
Speaker 8: I think that's definitely what we're seeing in the first and second quarters with those or fifty stores turning in positive comps.
Speaker 9: That's certainly what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I always think about it. I mean, it's the same thing I asked Jen Bartashus about. You know, when it comes to Target, who is their customer? Who is the Macy's customer though, Like I do think about who's shopping at these places.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I would say about half their customer base, or more than half their customer base, is probably earning less than seventy five thousand.
Speaker 9: So it's a household.
Speaker 8: Income that's being squeezed by inflation, and so that's leaving them with less discretionary income to spend on apparel. One thing that has turned out to be strong and is a good draw for them, of course, is cosmetics, and that's the reason why you've seen them expand the cosmetics presence in all of their stores.
Speaker 9: Every year, it seems like it's been expanded.
Speaker 5: And that's Blue Mercury, correct.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not all of the stores have Blue Mercury, but yes, that includes Blue Mercury, and of course blue Mercury, which is more upscale is also you know, it's a growing chain for them, and they delivered two percent positive comps in the quarter.
Speaker 2: So yes, love my lotions and from everywhere, and I'm sure you know investors love the margins when it comes to anything, whether it's perfumes or cosmetics. It's pretty crazy. Hey, the other thing I do love, I'm Carol Masser and I like going to TJ max companies. I'm just going to put it out there and it probably needs some interventions. But having said that, TJ Max, we also got some news from them. We got earnings and they also are taking a stake in a Mid East brand. What do we need to know about this one?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so because the company has really created this winning formula and what that means.
Speaker 9: Is there's years and years of knowledge and expertise.
Speaker 8: Plus they've made major investments in their people, so they have longevity with their employees. And you know this includes training buyers. It takes fourty five years, by the way to train a new buyer just to give you an idea. So with this expertise and as they have grown up through the ranks, this gives them an opportunity to continue to grow internationally. They have always had an interest in Mexico, so of course we saw that news after the first quarter in which they took an entered into a joint venture with groupo Asa, so.
Speaker 9: They're going to be able to use.
Speaker 8: This secret sauce in helping those businesses grow, which will make their investments flourish. And so the same thing is going to happen with this latest investment, which is a Dubai based company operating in the Middle East that operates about one hundred brands for less is the name of a store concept in that market.
Speaker 9: And could we see more?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, because this is a good use of their cash investing and being able to capitalize on their own expertise and allowing for some of these executives that they've groomed to be able to have a place to deploy their expertise. So yes, we're going to see more of that. And that just goes to show you that when you're looking at retail, off price is winning and TJX being the largest, it's a fifty six billion dollar global company, the only one that's global and off price and the only one that also has e coom our.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Jen Bartasha's Bloomberg Intelligence senior Retail Staples and Packaged food analyst, and Mary Ross Gilbert also the Bloomberg Intelligence team, She's senior retail analyst still ahead on Bloomberg Business Week, No easy way to say it. We've got a riveting story on the doctors that cut a giant tumor out of one of our colleagues head, which led him to investigate and ask is there a better way? That story's next? This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Easter on Apple car Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven five.
Speaker 5: Well you all know the expression it's not brain surgery, Well, Carol, sometimes it is just to ask our colleague Noah Bouhier, who just a bit over a year ago found himself on an operating table at the University of Washington as surgeons cut a long upside down you on a scalp, peeled back the skin, then made a great fruit sized opening in his skull through which they could remove a four centimeter wide tumor on the back of his head.
Speaker 2: No Boohire is Bloomberg News Data Investigations reporter. He joins us from our Seattle Bureau and for Bloomberg Business WEEKI rights not just about his experience, but also about a renowned neurosurgeons decades long quest to develop a better way to eradicate tumors. No, first of all, we are so glad you're okay and you're with us to talk about this, what you wrote about. We just can only imagine what that time was like. Before we get to talking about doctor Neil Cassel, and I hope I'm saying it correctly. Tell us about getting your diagnosis, kind of where you or what happened and and how you had to.
Speaker 4: Deal with it.
Speaker 10: Thank you for having me on. I mean, it was a rather surreal moment. I was actually traveling for work. I was in Nashville at a conference, and I took a break to go out for a jog one afternoon, and toward the end of my run, collapsed with a really large seizure on the downtown streets of Nashville. And when I came to I took a ride in an ambulance, got a CT scan, and that's when the doctors found this really large mass in the back of my.
Speaker 5: Head and the mass fortunately was not cancerous.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean if you were going to have a kind of brain tumor, this is the kind you wanted. The pathology later showed that it was extremely slow growing, hadn't metastasized, and frankly, this is the kind of thing that a neurosurgeon wants to see because they know they'll have a high rate of success if they go in there to resect it.
Speaker 5: We have quite a bit of time with you, so we're gonna sort of go in chronological order here. A little over a year ago you did find yourself on an operating table. Talk a little bit about the procedure and what you actually went through to have this mass removed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I think you hit the highlights in the intro to the segment. Apologies to folks who don't want to hear graphic stuff, but the basic operation is to make a large incision on your head. Surgeons peel back the skin, they cut through the bone, set the bone fragment aside, do what they need to do to access the airy. Then they reattached the section of bone kind of like a lid to a cookie jar, and then they stitch you back up. After this whole thing, you know, I spent a little bit of time in the hospital and then about six weeks at home recuperating, but ultimately, you know, within about six months I was back to many of my normal activities. I had to take a break from driving because of the seizure, but by and large, I'm doing what I used to do, so by all accounts, and I don't want to disparage the conventional surgery. It's incredible what the doctors can do. When you get down to it, it's still a rather intense process to have to go through, and that's really what led me to this story.
Speaker 5: That's exactly why we wanted you to explain what you went through, because what you spend the bulk of the story talking about is how there could be a solution on the horizon that would not require somebody to have a procedure as invasion, as invasive. Excuse me, as your procedure was tell us about what you learned about doctor Neil Cassel.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I learned about doctor Cassell through actually an interesting connection. I've been on this show in the past, you all, I think many listeners know this, but I used to be the corporate reporter here covering Warren Buffett Berkshire Hathaway and more than a decade ago, I wrote a profile of a guy named Ted Weshler, who Buffett hired to be an investment manager at his company. And over the years, you know, I'd been following Weschler's career, and after my diagnosis, I happened to be speaking with him and I told him what was going on in my life, and he said, oh, you should really meet a friend of mine here in Charlottesville where he lives, named Neil Cassell. I was in the middle of a lot of stuff and I sort of blew Weschler off. But nine months later I was reading a news story and I saw doctor Cassell mentioned, and I thought to reach out to Weschler again, and I started learning about this foundation that it turns out Weshler had helped Cassell start with about a half a million dollars and then subsequently given many more more million dollars to this cause. And the thing you need to know about Cassel, I think he's a very interesting person is that when he was practicing neurosurgery, he was one of the co chairs of the department at the University of Virginia, and he was a really well known stroke doctor. He was the guy that was called in when President Joe Biden as a senator, needed two aneurism procedures. He was part of the team that operated on Biden. But over the years he was also really interested in innovative techniques, and about two decades ago he got really excited about the idea of using ultrasound as a way not as a diagnostic tool, but as something that could.
Speaker 6: Actually treat disease.
Speaker 10: And that's when he turned to Wessler set up this foundation, and their mission really is to develop new ways to augment and advance treatments for a whole host of really tricky diseases by using a bunch of effects that ultrasound can stimulate in the body.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I am a little obsessed with what happened and what you report on. And I'm sure you came across to a sixty minutes piece that was also about the use of ultrasound, and this was basically to open up a blood brain barrier to help drugs penetrate and help Alzheimer's patients, but also they talked about people with addictions. It just feels like all of a sudden, ultrasound is potentially having a moment.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's getting more attention because they're starting to be some clinical trials that are yielding interesting results. Now, one of the things I wanted to mention here and when I went in I wanted to be skeptical, is because a lot of these studies and applications of ultrasound are still very very early stage. And I just want to make that clear to people because there's an interesting phenomenon that happens when people are pursuing novel medical technologies. There can be a burst of attention and enthusiasm when you have positive results out of these early stage studies, but as we all know, there are an enormous number of hurdles that you need to jump over, both regulatory and technical, to bring a treatment to the level where it's the standard of care. What I think is so fascinating about that is that in ultrasound more broadly, is that we're not talking about a single therapeutic. We're actually talking about a whole menu of mechanisms that could be helpful in delivering all sorts of drugs that we can't target to the brain for one reason another, there are also, you know, the main mechanism that ultrasound is being used for and reimbursed for around the world is about heating up parts of the body to basically non invasively sear a tumor or an area of the body that you want to destroy. But that's just one mechanism of action. Heat is one thing that you can deliver with ultrasound. Another thing you can do is create a swarm of bubbles that in a treatment area that essentially blends up like a blender an area of tissue that doctors want to target.
Speaker 5: Now, when it comes to bringing a new technology up to the standard of care, such as you describe, what's a way we can think about a timeline that if everything were to go according to plan, this would become available.
Speaker 10: Well, I think that's the really interesting thing here. So doctor Cassell has been for years saying that this. When he started out nearly twenty years ago, he thought this looked like MRI tech technology was thirty five years prior. Now we all know what MRIs are. Now so many people have had them. If you haven't had one, you know someone who has. So on that timeline, it would suggest that we'd have, you know, real treatments for some of these tricky diseases in the next fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 6: But I think it's going to be disease by disease.
Speaker 10: For some things. Ultrasound's going to work. For some things it's not. And one of the real tensions that I tried to get at in this story is the real need for optimism and enthusiasm if you're even going to go to the effort of trying to discover these new treatments.
Speaker 6: But also you know.
Speaker 10: The reality of science and getting things approved and becoming standard of care requires an enormous amount of evidence. It involves designing clinical trials that are going to prove beyond death, not just that something works and is safe, but at the end of the day, you want to know that it's cost effective.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's what the.
Speaker 10: Payers from medicare to private insurers are going to care about.
Speaker 2: What do you think though, No, our audience, you know, who are often looking for like the future trends. Right we talked about AI so much right now in the GLP one drugs, which are really have been a big kind of innovation, it feels like in certainly the pharmaceutical space and care in the health world. But how do you think our audience should be thinking about what you have found out about potentially what could come from ultrasound, minding you it could take a while.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Look, I think it's a space to watch. A lot of the dollars that are being invested right now are coming from private industry, but compared to other kinds of medical technology, it's a relatively small amount of money. But I think one thing to take note is that these aren't silver bullets in and of themselves. Think of ultra sound as one tool that might augment or advance other methods of attacking very difficult to care diseases.
Speaker 2: And can I ask you, is doctor Cassell the right messenger for all of this? He certainly, as you write your story, has been great in terms of networking and fundraising and is certainly out there.
Speaker 6: He's an interesting person.
Speaker 10: He's obviously got an incredible rolodex and been able to get some well healed people and prominent people involved in this effort, and I think that certainly has a place. Many of the people I spoke with said that he's been very important to this field and bringing it to prominence. But at the end of the day, he is a pretty complicated character. He's a very byzonic mission, a tough boss. I think, you know, folks who read the piece will get a pretty balanced view of who he is and what he's accomplished.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it's a little bit of a sense of humor considering how he ended the story. Can you just share with us what I sent.
Speaker 10: To your Yeah, not to be too much of a spoiler, but it does tie back to my own experience. So I had my one year check up and I'm doing great. The tumor's not back, but the place where it used to sat it sit, excuse me, has grown in size and it caused a brief moment of worry whether this was going to necessitate another surgery. And I called doctor Cassell to tell him about this, and he basically said, don't worry. If you're feeling fine, don't have other symptoms.
Speaker 6: Which you'll be. It's something to be admired.
Speaker 10: And he said if my editors were worried that I had a hole in my brain, that they should I should ask them how many other journalists we employ here at Bloomberg who only have half a brain.
Speaker 2: On that note, we're going to wrap it up. Listen, incredible reporting We're so glad though, that you are well. Thank you so much for sharing your story. No Boo hire his Data Investigation's reporter, killer reporter here at Bloomberg News, joining us from our Seattle bureau. The story is a mustere check it out at Bloomberg dot com and on the Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Easter Listen on Applecarplay and then Bright Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Let me inn our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, including how the US Congress is indirectly helping out the hotel business. Just ask the CEO of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, which we did, and more, Plus the streaming wars, the race for content and leaning on influencers with the CEO of Dolphin Entertainment, and from what top exec strink to unwind after work to the bathroom selfie to j Powell? Are you listening? Because high interest rates negatively affected the sale of vintage cars. Our Bloomberg pre Suits team covering it all first up this hour. It's a content Crazy World. This past week, Edgar Bompin Junior raised his offer to take control of CBS parent Paramount Global to six billion dollars, according to a person familiar with his plans, topping his earlier proposal the week before. That's set off a potential bidding war meantime US domestic box office movies while they're still struggling to achieve pre pandemic revenue status. Our next guest is in the content and entertainment space in a kind of unique way. Bill Odoubt is the CEO of Dolphin Entertainment. It's a microcap entertainment marketing and content production company with a sixteen million dollar market capitalization. We begin with a little bit about what his company actually does well.
Speaker 11: We do three things all in one. We started as a production company film and TV producers, and we still do that, having dis released The Blue Angels with Imax this spring. Then we started assembling investing class pr and marketing, special events, influencer marketing companies around entertainment. And then we started investing in things that we could market like consumer products.
Speaker 12: So we're very excited for that.
Speaker 2: All right, So talk to us about the quarter and the business. Look back, look forward in terms of we mentioned the headline in terms of second quarter revenue, specifically in terms of a record that's according to you. Guys talked to us about a little bit of the business and where the growth is coming from, because you mentioned like kind of these three areas. So where's the growth been, where's it going?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Well, we've been blessed with a lot of organic growth. The companies work together create synergy between you know, creating campaigns for motion pictures or consumer products that may want both PR and influencer marketing as an example, or event marketing with influencer, let's say. And in addition, we're growing going back into production. The Blue Angels was a big hit for us in partnership with Imax, and that was certainly part of the revenue increase as well.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting, well and that Imax partner ship, how much more can you leverage out of it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, this is something it sounds like it's got some legs and I'm curious where you take it?
Speaker 11: Sure, yeah, thank you. It's a multi year partnership. We're used to doing that with Dolphin. We were partners with Nickelodeon for years and years in making children's content and have had fifty to fifty partnerships in the past with Warners or others, So we hope to be doing documentaries with Imax for years to come. It's certainly a great partner to do documentaries with because you can do these big spectacle documentaries, dockbusters as we call them, that really deserve to be seen on the big screen, like The Blue Angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we you know the press release that you guys put out it talked about, you know, debuting as number one on prime video over the Memorial Day holiday. It grossed what over two million at the box office IMAX, and that included a top ten debut with about one point four million in its opening week end. That what did you call it? Dockbusters?
Speaker 12: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So where else do you go with like do you just continue to do more of that? And how expensive is it to do and build out that content?
Speaker 11: Well, documentaries are less expensive than the bigger features, of course, so they typically range in the three to five million range, let's say for theatrical Obviously you can make them for less or more, and we do think there's an opening to do one or two of those a year. They certainly program well, there are gaps in the year where there wouldn't be studio content available or fresh studio content to put in dimacs. And also we think our partnership is expanding into live streaming as well. You know, we could do music specials, Broadway specials, comedy specials, you know, one night only type things that would really juice we hope the box office, especially midweek.
Speaker 2: When do you start to do something like that or what's involved in getting into that area more aggressively.
Speaker 11: We hope to launched that in the first quarter next year, and Imax has already been doing some of that themselves, and it's a natural extension of our partnership to go into that content together.
Speaker 2: What's the challenge in all of this, because I do feel like, you know, Bill, I think it's safe to say we cover this a lot at Bloomberg that I mean, there's a lot of places to view content, there's a lot of content creators, but there's a lot of people vuying for that content. So what's the stuff that really you think moves the needle in terms of engaging with the consumer, Because I know I get to a point where I'm just overwhelmed and I'm done, and I pick up a book and read. But I just wonder, right, you've got to kind of read through a lot of stuff.
Speaker 6: Sure to.
Speaker 11: And I like reading too, so I understand completely. And I think a lot of people try, and you know, thread the needle by thinking about what would work best in which type of delivery. You know, when you talk something like an IMAX system then and network, then you're talking you want that spectacle, something that warrants people coming out and spending the mon you know, on the smaller screen and the steep streaming wars, you're seeing a lot of people look for different types of content. And if you think about the last ten years, the rise of documentaries are true crime, especially on the small screen, has really exploded.
Speaker 2: What about you mentioned live sports, Broadway comedy other or you mentioned Broadway comedy. What about sports in terms of last streaming or is that just a too expensive, already crowded the big boys, the big guys are in it.
Speaker 11: I think the live certainly sporting events, it's probably crowded, and those rights only seem to be going up and up right, But we do like sports content generally quite a bit, and you're seeing a lot of opportunity this year around women's sports, and that's an area that we really like. We think female athletes have been underserved tremendously, and with our influencer marketing companies, we think we could expand and bring brand sponsorship deals and just generally income to female athletes from speaking engagements, et cetera.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the influencers, and I thought that was really interesting. I know you've got a relationship with Glow Lab. You are thinking about the younger audience. I mean, first of all, a couple things, what is your target audience or you don't care, you want to go all over the all over the kind of age spectrum.
Speaker 11: I think with influencer you can you can broaden out. We started with the core, which you know, female twenty five to forty four, let's say beauty, wellness, fashion products. But the thing about influencer marketing it's it's it's grown double digits year over year some years, I think triple digits simply because there is no one demo anymore. Yeah, and the marriage of influencer with sports is it was going to come anyway, but it's certainly accelerated three years ago with the Supreme Court ruling you know name image likeness for college athletes, and now this generation are influencers. This generation of athletes, right, you could just see Simone Biles taking selfies at the Olympics or get ready with any videos at the Olympics, and you know that if you're talking athletes fifteen to twenty five, they're digital natives for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, when you think about the work with influencers, as you said, I mean you also want to be what creating the products that they're involved in or talk to us about how you kind of drill down into that relationship, which I would assume that opens up even another revenue stream for you guys, it Shurret.
Speaker 12: Does, thank you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's really marrying a couple of different aspects of our business. You know, we financed and produced television and film for twenty years prior to going public. We're used to project finance, and then when you marry that with the rise of social media and influencer marketing, then it's really just applying project finance to consumer product. We could develop and bring to market consumer products where our form of marketing, especially in entertainment, will give us a better chance of success. So when you think about beauty cosmetics as an example. Those are products where influencers and celebrities have long influence success. And so we think there are certain product categories like alcohol, where the marketing of the product is as important as the manufacturing and the distribution itself.
Speaker 2: But it'd be great if you get a piece of both, right going forward?
Speaker 12: That's right, that's right, hey, Bill.
Speaker 2: One thing I did want to ask you when we were talking a little bit of nuts and bolts in terms of the quarter. You are a microcap company. We don't on Bloomberg talk a lot to companies that are below a buck, and I am curious what you get from investors. Stocks down about sixty percent year to date. What do you hear from your investors? And what are your aspirations? Is there something about you know? I understand sometimes we start small, we get bigger. What are your aspirations for this company? And what do you hear from your investors?
Speaker 12: Sure? Yeah, I know.
Speaker 11: While the microcap environment as a whole, as I'm sure you know, Carol has been had a tough year.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 11: We've posted record quarterly revenue three quarters in a row so and positive adjusted operating income.
Speaker 12: So we're we're hopeful and confident.
Speaker 11: That the will be rewarded in the market, especially as a microcup doing real revenue with real business.
Speaker 2: So is it just investors saying, listen, we get it, it's the environment, or what do they want to know about your business in particular? What are the questions you get most from investors?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'd say it's mostly about the environment. You know, numbers don't lie in terms of what we're doing in revenue and adjusted operating income, and we're beating our own projections, including the analyst projections out there. So there's there's a sense of frustration with some that you know, they just wish that, you know, we weren't being lumped in with some of the others. But you know, we just have to stay the course. I mean, a micro cup that's doing fifty million revenue and a sixteen million dollar market cap, you'd like to believe that you're about to pop back.
Speaker 2: When you look at the environment, and I think it's you know, Bill, it's an interesting one. We're very focused on, you know, what's going on in terms of Fed policy, what's going on in terms of economic data. We talked a lot by the end of the week about a soft landing, and it looks like things are, you know, kind of working out fairly well, not all Americans certainly feel that. We talk a lot about the differences between the top and the bottom in terms of the economic strata. Having said that, when you look at the environment, you're doing deals, you're doing different things. How do you describe the US economy right now?
Speaker 11: Well, we're hopeful for the for the rate coaches. I think like a lot of people will free up cash and discretionary investment into the microcap world, small cap world generally, right.
Speaker 12: I think you hear a lot of people talk about that.
Speaker 11: We're not as susceptible to some other companies in terms of the interest rates. We've fixed ours in commercial paper already, so we feel good about our position. But certainly lower interest rates or lower federates would certainly benefit the microcap world for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, No, we talked about that actually earlier in terms of small caps and the importance of economic growth as well as in terms of the interest rate environment, bigger, broader picture. We spent a lot of time talking about kind of what happens to some of the big media players. We talk about streaming so much. You are in the content business. What do you make of all of what's going on in the streaming world. It's a lot of competition for all of our eyeballs, and there are obviously some very clear winners and some that are having a tougher time.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and we're blessed where our film and television PR firm forty two West, works with almost every major streamer out there, and we promote shows on so many different platforms, from Netflix to Amazon to.
Speaker 12: Hulu and Paramount Plus, etc. So we see a.
Speaker 11: Lot of them contracting some in terms of investment, as I'm sure you've talked about quite a bit. But the sheer vol of programming the last few years has been overwhelming to a lot of consumers, I think, And probably this is for the best.
Speaker 2: And so you don't care kind of who wins because you get to work with them, all right, that's fair to say. But I wonder do you think that there will be because you do see some that might be struggling or slowing down a little bit, that there'll be some kind of shakeout.
Speaker 11: And there has to be a one would think, you know, And certainly the conversations out there about M and A among some of you in the bigger studios, right, isn't idle speculation, So there'll be a right sizing of the ship, I think, and the industry hopefully will be stronger for it.
Speaker 2: So what's kind of interesting when you look at the content and media world and you look out. You know, we talked a little bit earlier about influencers and your work with Glow Lab, and it is interesting in a week where again you know Warren Buffett, you know, we saw his stake in Olda Beauty. We talked about it through the pandemic and out of the pandemic that whether it was Spoor or some of the other names that you know, people spend. It's not just cosmetics, it's all kinds of beauty and you know, skincare and so on and so forth. That that spending kind of continues. You guys also work with Rachel Ray, So chefs are something that's certainly on your radar when you think about growth areas for content. If you had to whittle it down to one thing, what would it be. There's also AI, right, so the creation of whatever that content will be.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and AI is unstoppable, right, we take a positive spin on it, certainly but well, I think when you take a step back and you think the world before and after the rise of social media, you can make a case that what it's done through the explosion of what used to be Remember when it was mommy, bloggers, and then it became influencers and now it's creators. You could make an argument that's democratized the ability to launch certain types of consumer products. Early in my career, you would need, you know, tens of millions of dollars of pay in media to just get awareness of the US consumer. Today, you've got influencers launching their own skincare products and selling the companies three years later for over three hundred million dollars, as Susan Yarra and Glow Lab did with Notarium to helf Beauty. So you know that that's unfathomable, you know, fifteen years ago, ten years ago. So we see a lot of potential using influencer marketing and pr earned media generally to launch and content on those channels to to be able to drive traffic. That's on the consumer products side, of course, on the on the pure content side, I think it raised a lot of eyebrows in the last week or two. You know that on television sets, YouTube gets more viewing than Netflix, and and I think that that raised a lot of awareness, you know, outside of our world, just how big social media is to to all demographics and not just you know.
Speaker 2: The ya listen, right now you are on YouTube. We don't get to see your face right now you're on the phone, but if you were on Zoom and so on and so forth. I mean, right now, simmilcast on radio, we're on YouTube, and we're on our streaming service, and then earlier we're also on television. So it's just interesting, like the different venues. I watch a lot of YouTube channels. There's some interesting stuff, very niche programming. If you had to pick one with our YouTube TikTok or some kind of delivery service that you think is really going to be or continue to be the most influential, and just got about twenty seconds, what would it be?
Speaker 12: YouTube?
Speaker 2: Hands down, hands out, hands down.
Speaker 11: It can do both short and long form, and it's already got the mass.
Speaker 2: All right, great stuff as always, listen, Thank you so much. Jillo doubt He's founder and chief executive officer of Dolphin Entertainment, joining us on this Friday in Miami.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast live each weekdays starting at two pm Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa playing Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Window Hotels and Resorts has some twenty five brands in about ninety five countries and ninety one hundred plus hotels, and this past week and opened up another one, the Echo Suite's Extended Stay by Wyndham Dallas, Plano, Frisco, the second extended state Echo property to open in the United States. With more on that, and I'll look at the Leisure and Business Traveler, My co host Tim Steneveek and I checked in with the President CEO of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Jeff Bollotti.
Speaker 13: This is the first hotel that a developer of my name of Ian McClure of Gulf Coast Hospitality based here in Texas, Texas, a very important state for US. He's building twenty five of these Echo Suites by Window.
Speaker 14: The demand for this type of products incredible.
Speaker 13: It's a very comfortable reveit it's our fastest growing brand because of the demand that's out there.
Speaker 2: Well, tell us about that, why it is your fastest growing and what is the demand specifically, who wants to stay there, Who's demanding like, hey, we need these kind of places.
Speaker 13: Gosh, last month I was sleeping up out in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where Spartanburg has received a billion of the nine billion that that state, that single state has been awarded of this want so far, of this one point five trillion dollar piece of legislation, the most historic piece of legislation this country's ever seen. There are one point eight million companies that are contracting. They're workers for projects that are now just beginning to get started, and they're looking for this type of affordable, clean economy accommodation to.
Speaker 14: Put them in. I mean here in Plano, perfect example.
Speaker 13: There is so much development going on around the community here that I'm in today and that i'll be this evening with developers looking to build more and other brands from a medical profession, from the automotive profession, and a litany of projects that haven't yet begun that are going to begin soon. And companies are out contracting right now for lodging accommodations like this. It's it really is. It's it's an amazing I've been in this industry for thirty years.
Speaker 14: I've never seen anything quite like it.
Speaker 2: It's really fascinating. I'm just kind of going back to what you kind of kicked off with. So you're talking about the spending bills and the legislation that's come out of the US Congress, and that is really shaping kind of where you develop exactly.
Speaker 13: I mean, our teams have identified about four thousand of the forty thousand projects that will be funded by the one point five trillion dollar bill and the two hundred and fifty billion dollar Chips Act bill, those Chip Acts build.
Speaker 14: That bill has has.
Speaker 13: Begun funding projects in a here in Texas as well.
Speaker 14: We have this this is our six hundred and ninety first hotel that we've opened as a company.
Speaker 13: But in Taylor, Texas, Samsung is building a plant, a chip plant where they will spend seventeen billion dollars over the next ten years. And they have thousands of workers right now who are looking for long term lodging accommodation. They're checking in for five, six, seven months, some are checking in for over a year. Many are from other parts of Texas and driving home on the weekends.
Speaker 14: But they want a.
Speaker 13: Place that they could cook, put their dishes in a full sized dishwasher, having full sized refrigerator, and in a great microwave. They want a place that feels like home. And and that's what's that's what's fuel and Carroll demand.
Speaker 5: You know, what does it feel like? Waterville, Maine, Jeff, which is I'm just now learning where you and I both went to college, a small school called Colby, where we found ourselves freezing pretty much November through April every year, hold up in our dorm rooms playing beer pong because it was so cold. And main it's main.
Speaker 14: I know, Tim.
Speaker 13: I don't know if you've been back to Waterville lately, but it has been transformed. The development that's going on in downtown Waterville is really.
Speaker 14: Impressive to see.
Speaker 13: And I was thinking to myself, Fine'm smiling so lively that Waterville needs an echo sweets extended, say by windhow because we would kill it in that market, as you know, with parents who did not have the logic accommodation. So when we were there that are available today on the new construction round.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just so everybody knows. It's an old milltown that, like many mill towns in New England, had fallen on hard times years ago. The college and the hospital, at least when I was there in Waterville Main were the biggest employers, and you can see it. But since I've been there, I graduated close to twenty years ago, and there's incredible development in the area, really a revitalization of downtown.
Speaker 2: All right. So I'm curious though, so exciting growth development, but what happens I don't know when the money kind of runs out in terms of the development from like legislation. Do you worry about that you won't have the people who will be demanding these kind of rooms in Plano, Texas or elsewhere throughout the.
Speaker 13: State, Carol, That is a long time away. I mean we are in the very early innings. Less than twenty percent. I think the figure from the COB is less than seventeen percent of the one point five trillion has been allocated, and even a smaller percentage of that has been spent in terms of shovels on the ground.
Speaker 14: The projects that you and Tim are probably hearing about and reading about.
Speaker 13: I mean, you think about big projects in the New York area like the Hudson Town those projects are so far out there. This is certainly helping us from a demand standpoint, demand generation standpoint. I mentioned that we've identified four thousand of those forty thousand projects so far. Maybe there'll be thousands more that will be funded, but that is that is a long long way away. I'm not thinking that far out. It's at least ten years, and who knows in ten years what's to come in terms of new projects that could be could be funded. There is again just such a lack of demand for this type of extended day lodging product, and that's what has our two hundred and seventy developers who have signed contracts and been wanted territories to build this type of lodging so excited.
Speaker 2: So you don't ever say the word right now recession based on what you're seeing. Is that fair?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 13: Look, I mean, our brands have always outperformed any economic downturn.
Speaker 14: They did after nine to eleven, they certainly.
Speaker 13: Did during the eight and nine Great Financial Crisis, and there was no better outperformance in the industry than the economy and mid scale lodging brands of Wyndham hotels and resorts throughout COVID.
Speaker 14: Our brands were the very first to recover.
Speaker 13: Our brands are known as Days and by Windom, Super eight by Windom, Lakita by Windom, very large systems of thousands of units in this country that have great brand recognition, where franchisees never had to close their hotels because they were able to break even at thirty percent occupancy.
Speaker 14: Where while we're a leisure based company and seventy percent of our.
Speaker 13: Business is relying on the leisure travel demand, which is still points still out there, that thirty percent that is non leisure is that essential everyday worker whose office is not a downtown office building that's been closed as it was throughout COVID, but whose office is the front seat of their construction.
Speaker 14: Or utility vehicle, or is one of my traveling.
Speaker 13: Nurse daughters who have to go to work that are in need accommodation during the week. Again, our brands have always outperformed in economic downturms. We're not seeing a recession to your point right now, and we're feeling very confident about the year ahead.
Speaker 5: Jeff, just remind everyone of Wyndom Hotels and Resorts business model are you one hundred percent franchise owned and operated i e. You guys actually don't own and operate any of the Windom resorts and hotels that people see exactly.
Speaker 13: Tim And that's what investors wanted to see when we went public five six years ago. They wanted to see a company that got out of the ownership game. We had to own hotels at that point in time, out of the management game, which we have. We are a one hundred percent franchise company. We're the world's largest hotel franchise company. We franchise about six thousand hotels here in the United States and another three thousand, two hundred and ninety five countries around the world.
Speaker 5: So it's it's it's less risky, right, oh, completely.
Speaker 14: You know, our business model is is extremely resilient.
Speaker 13: As we were talking about in the periods of downturns, we've actually been able to even in periods we're revenue per available room might generate more earnings for investors. We have we have many levers to pull.
Speaker 2: One thing I'm curious about and the levers, like you have lots of different brands and you hit at different you know, economic individuals or families or consumers, So I am curious about you know, I was looking at some of the bi research our our team does, and it talked about your US room base, including a larger percentage of lower price economy hotels and other lodging companies. You did though by American, American Inn and Lacinta la quinta excuse me, and that he like he dies. Sorry, sorry, You're right that that really helped boost your mid scale and upper mid scale presence UH and fee exposure. But I do wonder that you do have some exposure if there's a downturn, an economic downturn. So you sound upbeat. We talked about that before, but there is some exposure, right if especially the lower income consumer who continues to be squeezed, and we talk about that a lot here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 14: I think one of the biggest miss numbers is that our guest is low income. It is squarely middle class.
Speaker 13: When you look at the demographics of our guests, and those middle class income Americans who are staying at Thank You American or Lakita or Days In or Super eight are feeling better about life today than they were, certainly in the middle of COVID or pre COVID levels, and the consumer sentiment that we're seeing continues to improve.
Speaker 14: We look at many leading indicators.
Speaker 13: In terms of how we believe the consumer is feeling. Bookie windows continue to increase. People have reprioritized their vacations as to the very top of the list. They want to spend their disposable income on vacations more than on any other consumer spending. We're seeing longer lengths of day and certainly the ability for so many of our consumers to work remotely on a Monday and Friday is helping drive that trend. And we're seeing demand can continue to pick up after the normalization of that revenge travel that we all knew had to normalize. So we're seeing the start of we're not we're heading towards obviously Labor Day, but Memorial.
Speaker 14: Day was very strong.
Speaker 13: It was up four percent versus last Memorial Day here in the United States. July fourth, Triple A reported was up eight percent versus where it was versus last July for and we're expecting the same for Labor Day. So these middle income Americans want to travel. The number one preference for vacations in the United States of America is drived to, and ninety percent of our business is drived to. And these middle income travelers are with unemployment where it is, as we all know, more employed than they were, yeah, and most more savings in their bank accounts than they did pre COVID.
Speaker 5: So Jeff, help us understand. Help help us understand the segmentation, because Echo is for the you know, economy traveler, that's where where you are right.
Speaker 14: Now, and the economy business travel.
Speaker 5: Economy, business travel, okay, where really blue collar water Walk water Walk is upscale, more upscale, and then you have Hawthorn and mid scale. Give us sort of the price point for Echo versus water.
Speaker 13: Walk, Yeah, I mean price points look obviously are determined by the markets and the location they're they're in. But the Hope guests room I'm in tonight, we'll be checking guests in at an eighty dollars price point that water Walk average daily right might could be depending on the market double that. And sure we have but we have lots of aspirational Windoms, Windom Grands Skultcha.
Speaker 14: We have a new luxury brand.
Speaker 13: The Registry Collection, which might have a three or four hundred dollars handle to its average daily rate. But for that blue collar traveler who's staying at an Echo suites, it is by and large often being paid for by obviously their their employer.
Speaker 14: And also the demand for this type of product is being driven by how much transient motion there is out there in our country.
Speaker 13: For people looking for short term and meetium term and long term accommodations on the relocation front, given an act of housing in this country.
Speaker 2: Hey, one thing I want to do. What's cool is you guys are global your second quarter rev par so we're talking about revenue per available rooms, so key when we're talking about anybody in the hospitality industry. Second quarter red par was flat for the US, down two percent for economy, hotels up seven percent internationally, and you had a thirty seven percent gain in Latin America and fifteen percent in Europe and Middle East Africa. What can you tell us about kind of the globe lobo economy based on what you guys are seeing.
Speaker 13: The biggest trend for all of the lodging companies out there for the next quarter, the quarter ahead, and the year ahead is still there is a lot of occupancy still left to recover the occupancy tailwind really around the world with very few exceptions country by country still has room to grow, and so yes, international it was a big bright.
Speaker 4: Spot for US.
Speaker 13: Our international red park revenue per available room was up seven percent in the quarter versus the same time last year. And here where things normalized. Economy, as you pointed out, was down, but it was improving from where it was last year. Is things normalized and it was up in some of the other segments. There's great pricing power out there, Carol. I always remind investors that that pricing still hasn't caught up in the lodging industry to inflation.
Speaker 14: I think inflation's up something like twenty three to twenty four percent pre.
Speaker 13: COVID days, and our average daily rate is up over only seventeen percent. Our hotels are operated by small, mom and pop business owners who feel very confident about holding on to that advertrate the game during COVID and continuing to improve it, but at the same time building the business base of business on the book with a business transient that allows them in periods of demand to price up.
Speaker 2: Jeff, great to check in with. You really appreciate it. Jeff Blotti. He's the president CEO of Wyndom hotels and resorts, joining us from Play No Texas Jeff b. While you're listening and watching Bloomberg Business Week.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple car Play and then Brought Auto with a Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Fittit car collectors downshifting their spending. The c suite, drink of choice and marble tiled floor spread out like flower pedals while painted vines cascade from the ceiling over a glowing circular sinc. Yes, it's all in a bathroom, the perfect setting for a selfie. Yeah, all right, you're gonna find out about why. Yes, it's time for Bloomberg Pursuits and with us as the editor of Pursuits, Chris Rouser, Yeah, we got to start with this whole idea of selfiees.
Speaker 5: Carol, didn't you know?
Speaker 15: Didn't you know that the most important room in a restaurant these days is the bathroom? How did to explain?
Speaker 2: Explain?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 15: Well, it's actually a crazy story. So Kate creator are amazing food editor in London, pitched this story.
Speaker 9: And were you like, did y'all know Okay, yes, she.
Speaker 15: And I always have this. My like number one bugaboo is when a restaurant bathroom doesn't have like an occupied vacant signal on it and you have to knock and then you can't hear anyway. So I like, we talk about restaurant bathrooms laws. And now that Instagram is such a big part of restaurant's success, and they're marketing because people take food selfies. They do the lighting in the restaurant so the food looks good in pictures. It obviously extended to Okay, people are in the bathroom, they take selfies in the mirror. The bathroom is actually a place where you can, for not a lot of money, express your design sensibility and your care for every small detail. So suddenly bathrooms are looking very cool and very shareable. And so David Rockwell, who is a very famous architect and he does restaurants and hotels and all sorts of cool stuff Broadway shows. A couple of years ago, he did a story with us where during the pandemic, he was like, we need to envision the restaurant of the future, Like what will restaurants be like now that you know, maybe we need to use outdoor spaces, maybe they need to sort of work more like twenty four hours a day rather than.
Speaker 6: Just at dinner.
Speaker 15: And one of his ideas in this schematic of our restaurant of the future was you walk into the restaurant and there's a hand washing station, Like the bathroom is kind of the first thing that you get to. So that was like an idea that we ran in Bloomba.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I do like that because, like some especially in the city, right, you just feel like you just walk outside a little bit and you're like, I want to wash.
Speaker 15: So now, when you get into Kogodoc, which is one of the most fabulous restaurants in New York City, it's so so cool you can't get in. It's this fried Korean chicken and champagne restaurant. The first thing that you see when you walk in is a hand washing station and it's got like Mez soaps, and it's very fancy, and it's got these great lighting mirrors for like selfies. Stunning, and that idea came from like working with us on that pursuit story and it's very cool. And anyway, all over the Europe the US Basstroum bathrooms are becoming very trendy and very share Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not just a New York thing, right, It's like all over the place. First of all, though, you have to remind everybody, for those of you out there listening who want to do your own bathroom selfie, I mean how many I mean tons of people have done this, like millions.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, I mean we yes, nine million bathroom shell hashtag bathroom selfie hashtags have been shared. We you know, there's one of our colleagues was in Georgia, Straccheria and Munich and sent me pictures of this disco ball bathroom. There's a roller rink slash restaurant in Brooklyn, of course, that has a DJ in the bathroom.
Speaker 6: It's called Club Flush.
Speaker 2: So listen, the DNC used a DJ like for the roll Call. Apparently DJs are finding themselves everywhere, all right. For executives who often travel around the globe, they have busy days. CEOs, you know, just like the rest of us, they've got unwind after work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So in every issue of Business Week every month, we do a CEO diet where we ask a bunch of CEOs what they do for exercise, what they were to work, what they eat for breakfast, which we've talked about, and so this month we ask them what is their signature drink, like, what's their go to? And you know, I got to say, it's a lot of martinis.
Speaker 1: We got a lot.
Speaker 15: We couldn't run all the answers that we got people you couldn't be working. A lot of them were dirty martinis. But Jen Hymen, who's the Rent the Runway founder, she was like, you know, I love a spicy margarita, but on a cold, cozy Brooklyn day, I love a mescal and the groni and a groaning with mescal, which I think is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: And we got some apparel sprits.
Speaker 2: Is uh aperol sprits?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And can I just say there was a lot of non alcoholic too the beverages, which I thought was interesting that did not Tim if Tim was here, because he's a huge non alcoholic dude.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, sort of like neotropic kind of drinks strengths that are sort of wellness oriented and have no alcohol. That was also popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, kind of interesting. I really feel like, all right, can we get to you're a watch person, I mean you're you're a person of many interests, but I love watches.
Speaker 6: You love.
Speaker 2: This was just kind of a fun story. I do this, like I don't know about you. I've come off a plane and I see somebody wearing something in that like Alex stalk them like, hey, where'd you get that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm the same. I will walk up to anybody and ask them about their watch.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 6: And so for my watch.
Speaker 15: So I have a watch club, which is we do We have a newsletter and we have events and if you're a Bloomberg subscriber, you can be in our watch club.
Speaker 1: And so what do you do?
Speaker 10: Like, what do you like?
Speaker 2: Who do you contact or how do you reach out to you?
Speaker 6: No idea.
Speaker 15: There's a way if you google it, So we're going to do it. It's if you go to Bloomberg dot com slash accounts, slash newsletters, you'll see it, okay, or just Bloomberg dot com slash newsletters.
Speaker 12: I can't see it.
Speaker 15: But anyway, I was walking around and in summer, there's not a lot of new watches. Actually, because Europe goes on vacation, there's not a lot of new debuts. So I was kind of looking out for the watches that were in the wild, and I saw some really really cool ones walking around this neighborhood in New Manhattan. But also I ran into a guy who had a nineteen twenties Rolex on the on the boardwalk and Fire Island, and I he found it and he restored it, and I put it in the newsletter. My friends from Rolex were like, we've never even seen this watch.
Speaker 10: It's so cool.
Speaker 15: And the surprising watches also extended to the Olympics, where there were a crazy amount of watches. People running doing sprints, like competing in one hundred and eighty five thousand dollars. Reshard Meal watches. The guy who won the pole who like set the world record for pole vaulting arm and duplantis he broke his own record. He's broken his own record nine times. He was wearing a new Omega watch. Like Omega hadn't debuted this watch yet, and they're the way they debuted it was they put it on his wrist as he won the gold medal at the Olympics. First of all, why are you wearing anything extra? I don't care anybody, I don't care slow you down. And you know it's interesting so LVMH was like the sponsor of the Olympics in France, and there was a lot of like LVMH brands, and so the other brands mostly were like, this isn't our time. First of all, the Olympics is usually like a non sponsored event, right it used to be. And but some brands like Omega and Risharmeal were not afraid and they put their watches on Olympics, on Olympians in competition, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like killer advertising.
Speaker 15: I mean you couldn't I couldn't believe it when I watched it live with my daughter and I was like, oh my god, he's wearing a watch. I wonder what that watches.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. Hey, listen, just we're going to transition because I want to talk about a story that Hannah did Hannah Elliott real quickly though. There were some news this week about selbuying a minority steak in the Swiss watch brand n B and F.
Speaker 15: You know this brand, Yes, So Chanelle makes great watches, and not everyone knows that because you think of them as so they're leather goods their fashion, but they also have a great watch making tradition and to sort of improve their legacy in that field and their authority. They bought a twenty five percent steak in MB and F, which is a very cool, very avant garde watchman. They only make like four hundred, five hundred watches a year. They're really expensive. I own one that it was not really expensive that I entered a lot lot.
Speaker 2: We do into Chris's lives.
Speaker 15: I entered a lottery to be able to buy one of these watches because they're so they're like spaceships. We've talked about them before. They're really really crazy and I got their lowest price one and I only wear it on special occasions. But it's it's interesting that Chanelle.
Speaker 2: Dies see and just look at it and glaze her groove lands at it all right. Speaking of things that often have high prices though, vintage car sales, and we want to bring in kind of Elliott, who covers all things auto for us. She's our autocolumnist here at Pursuits. You're a member of your team. Yes, hey, Hanna, good to have you here. Tell us about the recent auctions at Monterey because it sounds like I love the headline on this vintage car sales getting freezer burn, what happened, and tell us about the environment, like who's there, what you usually see, and how it went down.
Speaker 16: You know, it was a really interesting year this year at the auctions week long totals clothes around three hundred and seventy million dollars across five auction houses, and that was down about eight percent from twenty twenty three. And it was well off, you know, like just after COVID and twenty twenty one and twenty two the auction numbers were like way up above four hundred and fifty million dollars. So it things are down, and that freezer burn term is really interesting. One of my sources used it because he was describing sort of the gloss of cars for sale that had already been for sale and had just sort of been defrosted and like let's try it again because they hadn't sold. And that kind of describes this market we're in right now, which is there are a lot of good cars out there and maybe too many good cars right now for how willing collectors are to buy. So you asked about what kind of people are at the auctions now. Of course, this is Monterey Car Week, This is like the Olympics of the car world that happened every August, and it's really it's global collectors. It's a lot of of course, we're talking vintage cars, but also, you know, vintage now includes cars from the nineties and two thousands, which kind of pays me to say because I'm a nineties child. But shows are considered vintage too now. So we have people buying, of course the old racing Ferraris and old world Royces and Alpha Romeos, but we also have people buying like Lamborghinis from the nineties and two thousands.
Speaker 9: So it's a mix.
Speaker 16: And what we saw was, yeah, maybe it's a I don't know what to say. No one was saying panic, but it's things are slowing down.
Speaker 15: It's an interesting time in this collectibles market across categories actually watches too, and and art obviously, and Hannah talked about this on her great podcast Hot Pursuit. People don't know what's going to happen with interest rates. Maybe now it's not the time. You know, even very very rich people are affected by interest rates when it comes to real estate and buying art and just lend it, borrowing and the way their money moves. And also people don't know what's going to happen after the election, and you know, like where are you going to put Hannah, I mean this point, like where are you gonna where're gonna put your money? What's what's the world going to look like where you're gonna live. Yeah, So it's a strange time at that high end of this collectibles market for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And I would also say for cars too, just the geopolitical climate in Europe, does it affects how things are moving in Europe and there is a trickle down effect to how things are moving in the US. For instance, some of these cars, some of the big you know Ferraris and Alpha Romeos, those are actually cars that have lived most of their life in Europe. And if things aren't really moving right now in Europe because of obvious reasons, we've got some wars happening, that does have a trickle down effect to some of the sales in the US too.
Speaker 2: I really love too that you get into how it's kind of a transitional market for cars. I guess, you know, the really old, great vintage cars from the fifties and the sixties, but that some of the newer stuff actually is what is selling Is that kind of a fair takeaway.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's a really fair takeaway. It's been really interesting to see. You know, we all remember when, you know, the air cooled porches on the sixties were quite hot a several years ago in particular, and even those are cooling off a little bit in favor of this new generation of buyer who wants something a little more drivable. Dare I say, something a little bit more modern? And you know, if you were a kid in the nineties, yeah, the poster on your wall was like maybe a Ferrari F fifty or maybe a Lamborghini Diablo. It wasn't an air cooled Portie or a Corvette or a Ferrari from the fifties. It was you know, you were lessing after the Italian exotics. So yeah, we are really right different.
Speaker 12: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well, you can read all about the specifics and what what did sell to in some of the numbers and go really through it. Just check out Hannah's column. You can find it on the Bloomberg and also Bloomberg dot com or thanks to Bloomberg News. Auto columnist Hannah Elliott also co hosts of the podcast Hot Pursuit and the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits as always our Chris Rouser, and that wraps up the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. Thank you so much for joining us. And a quick programming note. If you're listening to us in Boston, our new home starting September third will be ninety two nine FM. That's the day after Labor Day. Once again, Bloomberg Radio moving to ninety two nine FM in Boston. I'm Carol Masser along with Tim Stanovick. Have a great and safe weekend everyone.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Avail little on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal