Speaker 1: But I do feel like the general public they're waking up to those parents' dads, moms. They don't want to see their daughters lose out on opportunities and be forced to undress in front of someone of the opposite sex and their locker room. So I do think tides are turning. There have been some sports governing bodies who have done some good things World Athletics, FENA, So I'm appreciating the little steps, but I do believe the battle is nowhere near being one.
Speaker 2: That's Charlie Gaines, who had to swim against a dude in college, and she has become a big activist on this whole transport issue. She was standing behind University of Nevado Reno women's volleyball players on Saturday when they had to hold a press conference to basically shame or force their university into forfeiting because the university said, Nope, we're going to play, and the players were like, what, you don't get to decide for us. We're not going to get to play against the dude who plays on San Jose State. And it's become kind of a game for me since we started talking about this. I really enjoy this game of when you follow a mainstream news story about San Jose San Jose State women's volleyball whether they ever mentioned what the issue is. News sources have started to decide they need to cover it all the forfeits, but they never mentioned why in any mainstream news story, which is weird, weird, cowardly, dishonest.
Speaker 3: So Riley Gaines is a co signer of a letter with Jim Desmond, who is the supervisor fifth District of San Diego County's Board of Supervisors, to San Diego State University because they are going to be playing San Jose State and their women's volleyball team that features a dude.
Speaker 4: Soon, Jim, how are you, sir?
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us, Hey, thanks for having me this morning. Thanks for bringing this up.
Speaker 2: So, of course, why do you hate? Is my first question? Clearly you're full of eight?
Speaker 4: Fair question?
Speaker 5: All right, No, no, that's full of eight. Just you know, it's unfair competition. I mean this, you know, why even discuss this. It's crazy to have you know, men competing in women's sports, and it only hurts the women, you know, by them not being able to get scholarships or get you know, get get the merits. And awards that they want or deserve, and these men are getting into these sports and taking it over. It's you know, Riley Gain signed on the letter, as you mentioned, also Peyton McNabb who actually is permanently injured after being spiked in the face by by a male volleyball player. So you know, this is craziness. And you know, like she had said earlier, Riley that hopefully the tide is turning.
Speaker 3: There are hundreds of medals, championships, scholarships that have been won by dudes who say I'm a girl now and have denied the female athletes those those accolades and those opportunities.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely bizarre and obscene.
Speaker 3: What's the San Diego State's current stance as far as you can tell him, Well, we're playing San Jose State and their guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, well so far radio silence out of San Diego State, and unfortunately, you know, I have a hunch, being another California school, they may go ahead with it. But haven't heard anything yet. Yeah, we haven't heard anything yet from them, but we're hoping, you know, November ninth is you know, after the election, hellelujah, but you know, hopefully we'll get some traction, and maybe some of the teammates are will say, hey, we just don't want to compete against this, and I'm glad five teams has already you know, shut down and not agreed to play San Jose State.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, quite a few teams. Quite a few teams have forfeited. But some of the teams have said why. But a number of the teams, way too many of them don't say out loud why they're forfeiting, which I find troubling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, Jim correct me if I'm wrong. Some of them, some of the administrators are actually fearing running a foul of their progressive states laws on protecting transgender people.
Speaker 5: Well, absolutely, and that hence California, you know, doing that. But I do think, you know, both sides of the aisle people think this is crazy and outrageous and shouldn't be taking place. And can't you know, even believe why we're having to have this conversation. There's you know, anytime there's a physical competition, men are just more physically capable than women, but you know, each in their own different ways, and those sports should be protected.
Speaker 3: It's worth saluting some of the really courageous people in this controversy, including the women, the young women who stood up and said we're not playing this game. Brooks Slusser, who actually plays for San Jose State, has joined the lawsuit including eighteen women athletes, including Rigley Gaines. Gains versus NC Double A is filed in the Federal Court in the Northern District of Georgia and March alleging the NC double A rules on transgender women violate their Title nine rights.
Speaker 4: This is heading for the Supreme Court and I can not wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad Joe brought up the laws because I thought it was just cowardice on the part of these various schools that wouldn't say why they forfeited. But depending on where you live, there are laws protecting things you say about transgender athletes or discriminating. I mean, if you announced out loud, we're quitting because you got a dude on your team, you'd be in violation of the law.
Speaker 3: So that's a problem. Right, Elections have consequences. Hey, I have one more note on this topic. Jim as a former girls coach, I can't shut up about this, and I won't shut up about this ever. But there was a hit piece in the San Francisco Chronicle bashing miss Lusser who he just mentioned Brooks Slusser written by one Marissa in Gemmi, who's a sportswriter who doesn't appear to have ever played sports, which is not necessary to be a sports writer at all. You might just be a big fan and knowledgeable. But she is unquestionably a lgbt Q plus minus over the power of three activists and and is bashing a young woman who has the courage to say it's women's sports. I'm not playing against a dude. Shame on you, Marissa, Shame on you, San Francisco Chronicle. Anyway, Jim Desmond of the San Diego County Bord of Supervisors is on the line. Jim, We're talked you a lot about Yes.
Speaker 2: We did get this text they could call the game between San Diego and San Jose the Battle of the Bulge. I don't feel like that's a helpful test. Well look at that, he laughs.
Speaker 4: You're incouraging.
Speaker 3: You're that's a that's a really funny joke. Uh So, anyway, we've we've talked to you, Jim about a lot of immigration related topics because and it gets less publicity for some reason than Texas, probably because Gavin Newsom is a deep blue governor and pretends illegal immigration isn't a troublesome thing. But San Diego is an epicenter of illegal immigration. What's going on on that front in your world?
Speaker 5: Well, we are back up above capacity for the number of people coming across the San Diego section of the border, and so we are beyond capacity. And we were actually told in San Diego County about a week ago that they were going to start the street drop offs again. They stopped the street drop offs in June of this year. Went from September of last year's so June of this year, it was about one hundred and fifty five thousand people they dropped in our streets in June. Because of Biden's executive order, they cut back on that. But now we're back up beyond capacity. And so what's happening now Instead of doing the street dropoffs, they are shipping migrants to Yuma, Arizona, about three bus loads a day and about one flight a day to various points in Texas to Lazo.
Speaker 3: They just drop them off and essentially say to these cities and towns you deal with them.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not good on anyway. I've spent a fair amount of time in Uma traveling. I get off the bus, have thanks. What am I supposed to do here?
Speaker 5: I would imagine there's a lot of non you know, non government organizations and people that help them get on their way or travel to wherever it is they're going. But the optics, which is I really think the reason they didn't start to drip of street drop offs again is the optics two weeks before an election, you know, would have been terrible. And so what they're doing instead of you know, dropping them on the streets, which quite frankly we don't really want, but they're shipping them out quietly. And so we were able to find this out from our local Border patrol agents and telling us and actually, you know, we got pictures of the boarding airplanes. They don't go through the terminal at San Diego Airport. They're on the cargo side and so they don't have to not seen as much as they board the airplanes and get shipped out.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Jim Desmond of the fifth District of San Diego County, Jim, we appreciate the time keep us up to date as news breaks and developments occur.
Speaker 4: We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks a lot, Jack and Joe appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's our pleasure as always. Thanks.
Speaker 2: If Trump wins, it's going to be in large part because of the immigration issue, which a number of people saw coming years ago, but they weren't able to get there. The Democrats were not able to get their arms around it. Probably on purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's ambivalents on the Republican side in the halls of power, as we've discussed many times. Don't let the rhetoric fool you that the Republicans are way better on immigration than Democrats. But for reasons we've discussed again behind the scenes, the protected class, the moneyed class, they want the immigrants. They just need to keep it cool enough that the rest of us don't go crazy. Back to the battle of a bulge.
Speaker 2: So you think where the rubber is going to meet the road is there's going to be somebody file a Title nine thing about women in sports on behalf of no dudes in Sports, and then it will butt up against one of these pro trans laws where you can't deny a trans athlete their human rights or something like that, and that the two have to be enclashed and then climb up.
Speaker 4: You think that's.
Speaker 3: No, No, it won't be necessary because the eighteen athletes have already filed that federal lawsuit are so clearly going to win that federal law superseding state law and title line superseding anything the Gavin Newsom's of the world can cook up. Then there will be no more dudes in women's sports. How quickly do you think that will have, at least at the collegiate level.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think the Soups have agreed to look at a case. I can't remember which one this term or maybe next term.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 3: I'll look that up and get back to you. But it'll be it'll be within the next year, I think.
Speaker 6: And Clarence Thomas is going to say, does this a female volleyball player have a penis? Yes, your honor. That seems like a clearcutcase to be done.
Speaker 4: That could happen.
Speaker 3: How do you like this instead of the Battle of the bulge, The headline is too many balls on the court.
Speaker 6: Three balls is too many for volleyball.
Speaker 4: Exactly. There you go. That's the subhead.
Speaker 5: Armstrong and Getty