Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys training live from.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys training camp in.
Speaker 4: Six past second past TISI touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Talking Cowboys. We are live from training camp in Oxnard, California. I am here with Patrick Noci Walker, I'm here with Tommy rsh and we have a very special guest one mister fourth and long Jesse Holly of Dallas Cowboys, of Hanging with the Boys, Fain. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, the famous Man. Thank you so much for joining us. Famous Man in that you just attended the Netflix premiere of One America's team, The Gambler. This cow was last night in Los Angeles, California. How was his experience? And also, welcome to the show Man.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. I appreciate you guys having me on it. You know, it's always a pleasure to be around be around greatness, So I appreciate that I'm able. I'm able to sit here with you. I want you find gentlemen, This is greatness. Absolutely, man, absolutely greatness.
Speaker 2: Hangs together like about this though, it's no I no c oh okay, yeah, Josh No, Jay worked that out.
Speaker 7: It's this is soft day.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Man.
Speaker 9: I went to the premiere last night and got suit it up. I did. I did. I brought out the I brought out.
Speaker 5: The good sneakers with your suit.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 9: No sneakers ever with the suit. I like it.
Speaker 5: A gentleman, A gentleman.
Speaker 8: What I think I saw you reeling?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Never, I'm mother, I'm mother. I'm I'm of the age. We wear hard bottles with suits.
Speaker 8: Balance both depends on the move.
Speaker 9: When I go.
Speaker 6: And I got on Tommy about this. I got I got on Young Tommy about this. I got on Young Tommy about this because Tommy decided to wear sneakers night one of the NFL Draft. No, I'm not going.
Speaker 9: I'm not.
Speaker 6: No, I'm not going to a premiere on the red slash blue carpet of this caliber in l A and put on one of my good tailor suits. What a pair of sneakers? No way, But if it matches the suit.
Speaker 9: My shoes matched my suit.
Speaker 10: That's what I'm saying. If your shoes matched the suit.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 6: Stacey's or no, this was this was a pair of Mark Jacobs. This is this was a pair of this was a pair of Mark Jacobs. There's a pair of Mark jacob what's the phill Mark.
Speaker 8: Wing tips?
Speaker 6: So you know yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I had on the Olive Green custom.
Speaker 9: You know there's some videos.
Speaker 5: Yea yeah, a p images, But man, what was a fragrance of choice?
Speaker 6: The fraguents of choice last night? Was?
Speaker 9: Was?
Speaker 6: What was the frequent It was? Because you know, I have these little travel things. You should, guys, you should get this. I know that everybody had, like the big Colone bottles. You can't travel them, but if you go, they have these small little ones where you pump it. You pumped the Colonne into it. And I think last night was was yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah home, we're just talking about that because yeah, Josh got the bottle of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah you had the black top the black bottles. Oh yeah, we were good. Get started worry about yeah, all get along. The thing that I came away with, like literally was my exact words to John Manchuda and Clarence Hill was damn, he's done it again. And if you all remember, like Snoop Dogg had something where he was like, this don't miss And that's what I took away from that last night and I and I said this on an earlier show. If you know me, I am not a carrier of water. I am not a company man. I say what I want, how I want, when I want, and I did with the consequences as they comet. It was incredible. This was incredible. Well, like I'm telling you, this was the cinematography of this. We got a chance to watch a ten minutes of the episode one and then the full episode three last night.
Speaker 9: And when I tell.
Speaker 6: You the way that they construins this, and because this episode three takes place in the nineteen ninety two NFC Championship game against the forty nine ers, right now, if you're a Cowboy fan, you know, you know, you know. But it was something about the way that they that you had features from Bill Romanowski, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Charles Haley, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Eddie Lobardo.
Speaker 9: I mean, you had.
Speaker 6: Heavyweight, and so you're having this two sided perspective of how this game is being broken down. You're hearing what Steve Young has to say, You hear what Michael Irvin has to say. You're hearing, you know, the mix between Charles Haley being a Niner being a Cowboy. You're hearing Emmitt Smith, You're hearing Bill Romanowski, You're hearing Jerry Rice and how much this rivalry kind of meant. And in the nineties where the team of that era, you know, coming out of the eighties into the nineties and the Cowboys with this upstart team. And then while you're in all of this and you're in this battle, right, it cuts away and it goes back to the nineteen sixties where Jerry were in Arkansas, right as a football player and then as a then as as as you know, it tells he tells a story about, you know, borrowing eight hundred thousand dollars to to to for a well and and that well being worth a hundred million dollars. And then it tells stories about, you know, he almost got into bed with not figuratively but in the business with a hafa, right, and how his dad talked him off that, and how he was a shoe salesman and on pizza shops and sold mobile homes and all that kind of stuff, and how him and Jimmy Johnson, and then it.
Speaker 9: It cuts back right right, and it.
Speaker 6: Goes back into talking about you know, his his time on his you know, with his dad and on the ranch and stuff like that. The way that this was done absolutely and again I knew the outcome of the game. I knew the I knew. It's still like, I like, I'm sitting and I don't know if this was the movie theater feel, but I.
Speaker 9: Was on the edge of my I was on the edge of my.
Speaker 8: Cinema.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, to know the results, to know the people that happened, to the intimate league. And still I'm like, wait, they break the huddle and Michael takes Alvin Harper's route, and Harper takes Michael's route, and they hear Troy Aikman break it down right like he talks about the play that they ran and how they broke the huddle and how Michael said it and all that kind of stuff and how Troy like, I'm at the line of Scrimmens and I'm looking and he's like he's looking across and look at the defense and he's like this ain't going to Michael. Like he's looking around, He's like this this bang ain'ts gonna be open, right, And he's like, I know, I want to go to Michael, and he says, do I trust Alvin Harper in this moment? This is from the mouth of Troy Aikman. He said, do I trust Alvin Harper in this moment? But he's like, Michael ain't open and he throws it to Alvin. And let me also say this, this is I ain't the only one that got ran down in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Want to put.
Speaker 8: That harp like, put that okay, I just want to put that. Shut it down. I just want to shut it down. I ain't only ain't the only one.
Speaker 9: They got, you know, Paul sucked up and think for both the socks. It's a hot day. I'm just saying, shut out to Alvin.
Speaker 6: Harper, what a hell of a play, dirty harp.
Speaker 9: I ain't the only one I felt, I said. I said, I felt vindicated, Like I said, wait a.
Speaker 8: Second, the old people.
Speaker 9: I'm just saying it was. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you know anything about Jerry Jones and you know how to throw a party in the Netflix people, how they did that last night, Chef Kiss.
Speaker 5: Is there another team in the NFL that could do this to this level, to this level of cinema and have this much drama and intrigue, you know, and maybe the I'm biased and I'm.
Speaker 8: Saying sports period, sports period, sports period.
Speaker 5: No in the NFL, no.
Speaker 2: Not of my not in my opinion, I think with the with the right editors and producers, a team like Green Bay could probably pull that.
Speaker 9: I mean.
Speaker 8: Football historian.
Speaker 5: I those are kind of split up because the man in the Arena, Tom Brady's documentary that was really well produced series and that kind of covered the same topics. I don't think that as good as that documentary was, I don't know that there's gonna be that same level of, like like I said, intrigue and salacious information going on behind the scenes, like it is just a drama filled.
Speaker 8: Which means we have to leave the NFL.
Speaker 5: So I go Yankees, Lakers, Lakers, I mean last day in Chicago Bulls.
Speaker 9: And let me also let me also what we're doing, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: Let me also say this because I know I've seen already on social media and it's it's comic culture.
Speaker 8: Me.
Speaker 6: It doesn't really make me any difference, but I want people to understand that what happened last night. Yes, the Jones family attended, Yes, the Jones family was a part of it. This wasn't a Jerry Jones production. Okay, this was a Netflix event. This isn't So don't don't people come at you like, I don't care. He's focused on this. No, no, it's not corporate focus. This is this. This was hence why it was done here in California because Netflix and I was talking to the people that were involved in all of this last night and it was like, nah, this is a Netflix thing.
Speaker 9: They want. Netflix wants to make sure that this is getting seen.
Speaker 6: It's football fans are gonna watch it, right, like football people will watch this. But Netflix is not in the business of football fans. Netflix is in the business of people, human being human beings. So you know, last night you saw a lot of different like influencers and people of that of that elk because it was like, yeah, we get the cowboy fans are going to watch some of them, some of you don't watch.
Speaker 9: Makes me no difference. I don't give it down what you watch.
Speaker 6: But the football fan will watch, the cowboy fan will watch. But is how do we bring in the other Netflix audience instead are looking for a documentary, that are looking for a season series, and so a lot of this, all of this was set up and done by Netflix. This wasn't Jerry Jones saying I want to have this premiere. This was a Netflix saying we have to sell a product, absolutely, and so I just want to put that out there. I was talking to some people last last night about that.
Speaker 5: Well, we're all really excited to see it. We're also really excited to see the next Deep Blue, which premieres this Thursday, called The Wall two point zero, produced by Yours Truly. Please check that out on Dallas Cowboys dot M. And it's about Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, Travis Frederick. Their line that very much highlights twenty fourteen, twenty sixteen and just the incredible runs that those lines went on. But moving off of that, we have a football game to talk about. This is our first football game of the season to talk about here and talking Cowboys, Dallas Cowboys, I'll send rams preseason in Sofi Stadium in Los Angeles or I guess in Inglewood. Boys, what were your first reactions coming out of the game.
Speaker 12: Well, in Inglewood, you're always up to no good, and I think there was a lot of no good.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 5: That's my guy right there.
Speaker 8: I was wondering, who would do?
Speaker 10: Is that bad?
Speaker 8: I was wondering who.
Speaker 10: Was I thought it was a good segue, all right. I was wondering, Well, then I'll say, look, there was there.
Speaker 12: You don't want it to put too much stock into one preseason game, right, I think you have to kind of balance out knowing the fact that these guys had thirty seven guys sit out, twenty seven of which would probably be starting caliber players or guys who are getting reps with the ones when we get to September fourth. But at the same time, you know, you look at how this team played against the run, and I thought when I watched the game back, I don't know if you guys saw the same thing, but I thought the defensive tackles, not that they had a great day. I thought they did better than I initially thought. And I think really the where I saw the defense struggle against the run was the linebackers weren't filling their gaps correctly sometimes and you.
Speaker 5: Know, especially that second half.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and you know, maybe they're they're just missing their assignments here and there. But so the run defense, you know, one hundred and eighty one yards you just got. You would hope that with a guy like Maddie Beruflues leading this defense and one of his staples over the course of his career being very good against the run, that you see a little bit better of an effort there. But again, you look at this defensive line and these defensive tackles specifically, they're young guys who haven't gotten a lot of snaps, Jay Delia, Tamya King, Bisote, Ernest Brown, guys who just haven't really played a lot of football, and so you have to bring that all into account. And then offensively, we got the full Joe Milton experience fellas the.
Speaker 10: Roller coaster that it is is there's highs, there's lows.
Speaker 12: I think there were a lot more lows, and I think that you know, you got to settle him in right, you got you got to make sure that you make the easy plays to start things off, and I think six straight passing plays. You know, maybe maybe you do the quick pass or the handoff here to just kind of get him settled into the game. And you could tell the nerves were kind of getting to them and you see some of those balls sell, so overall, I think a good learning experience for a lot of these young players.
Speaker 2: For me, I stone on the defensive side of the ball as well, And I've said this on camping out on Sunday evening. For me, it's about analyzing it with the correct context. Okay, So my level of concern, like with the run defense right now, is not at the moment with the OSAs and the Solomon Thomases of the world, because we haven't seen them yet. We'll see them week one and then we'll assess that from there. My problem is, I'm still concerned about this depth. Right injuries happened. The Cowboys were ravaged by injuries last season, and we saw that the depth could not step up and hold for it.
Speaker 8: Right when you look at the run.
Speaker 2: Defense issues against the Rams, Blake Horn was having basically, you know, a day against them, which then allows steps and Bennett to have a day both on the ground and in the air. And then the coverage and the secondary I'll say it again, the cornerbacks group has been the most concerning portion coming into training camp and throughout training camp.
Speaker 8: A large part of that is due to injury. Talking about Trevon Diggs.
Speaker 2: You don't know what Savone Reveel is gonna be quite yet when he comes back from NFI. Don't have Josh Butler. Kaylyn Carson has battled injury already in camp.
Speaker 8: He came back. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: You got Kyrier Elam, but I didn't get to see Kyer Elam on Saturday. We'll see if we get to see him against the Raiders. But the other guys Zion Childress for the most part, notwithstanding and Israel mccwambo having the highlight play of the game, arguably outside of those a couple of spots, the coverage got exposed in a lot of ways. The secondary got exposed in a lot of ways. I have concerns there. I don't have a concern about Marius Leafhile you mentioned how things kind of opened up a little bit more in the defense in the middle of that defense in the second half. Who didn't play in the second half, Marist Maris got pulled at halftime rightfully, so he was the bright spot.
Speaker 8: Perry and Winfrey had some moments, some positive moments.
Speaker 2: Ernest Brown had a positive moment here or there, but I also saw him get kind of walked out, kind of washed out a couple of times.
Speaker 8: That's concerning for nose tackle.
Speaker 2: But then you flip to the offensive side of the ball, and like Tommy said, you got the full Joe Milton experience.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately it was more bad than good.
Speaker 2: And what I respect about that young man is I walked out of that stadium feeling.
Speaker 8: Like it was a D.
Speaker 2: His grade was a D. So then to see him grade himself as a D minus. Okay, now you're talking about a man with accountability and you can begin building from that. Yeah, absolutely, you can build from that, and that's what I love about it. But did he struggle? Absolutely he did. And I see what tom you're saying. As far as you know, six straight pass plays, maybe do some quick outlets, but if you go back and look at it, some of those overthrows were to the flats, right. He just simply couldn't settle down until the second quarter. And then when he did get the ball moving, self inflicted wounds.
Speaker 8: They showed up again.
Speaker 2: Jesse penalties, penalties, penalties, and then he got out of sorts again in the third quarter. I mean, we're talking about a breakout game from Ryan Flinoyd. If Milton can just find the touch on some of those passes. So shouts out to him for battling through it. Shouts out to Will Grier for taking advantage of limited reps, Malik Davis for taking advantage of limited reps. There are some positive to take away from the rams, but there's a lot of concerns also for me.
Speaker 6: I you know, and and both of you guys had fantastic points. I was on the sideline, like I looked at the sideline. I wanted to see all right, all right, Brian Schottenheimer, Okay, this is your debut, so to speak, of being a head coach of this football team.
Speaker 9: I don't think you shined.
Speaker 6: I don't think Brian Schottenheimer signed because even coming into that game, if your game plan was and and and I've said this multiple times, when I look at a man, I look at his words and his actions.
Speaker 9: Do they match? Do they match?
Speaker 6: And you've been telling us at every moment when you set up these podiums that this football team is going to be a physical, running football team. Then you get into the first opportunity.
Speaker 9: Well, I'll take it back.
Speaker 6: I thought you showed your hand a little bit of a little bit in in the uh. In the scout, in the in the in the practice, when you go, I got mad, I got pissed off, so I threw a bomb. Whoa hold on?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 6: Coach out of two reflects leadership here. I need you to be calm, composed and collected at all times, right like I can't have you getting upset in and being all of a sudden.
Speaker 5: Like ah, reacting emotionally.
Speaker 6: Throw it now, I get it now. When you when you sit back and you if there's one thing I know that Brian Shimer can lay his head down at night and know if push comes to shove when it's time to go. I got four, I got eighty eight, I got three in eighty seven, and there you go. I don't give a damn because you got Jimmy's and Joe's. That's gonna beat any Jimmy and Joe and any.
Speaker 9: We've seen it.
Speaker 6: We've seen it either we've seen it and you can sprinkle them in there. But I'm talking about full shot. None is here and there eighty eight, three, four and eighty seven book it right, And so I look at when you know he came into this game and he opened up the press coup and is his media portion of the game. In the pregame, it said, ever we gonna stay around the park, like, did you become a fan of Joe Milton or you forgot that you were a coach of Joe Milton? Because I just thought, like this is you didn't You didn't do Joe Milton any favors. You know what this player is you under You've been around this game far too long to know. This guy isn't the most accurate guy as a young guy doesn't how much football starts underneath him. Let me settle the young fella. Let me give Let let me give him an easy throw. Let me let me hand it off like you know you talk about most of the time. It's like, hey, let's boot and just let me just get let me let him see. You know in basketball they say when you can't you're not shooting, well.
Speaker 9: Get to the free throw line.
Speaker 6: I just need to see the ball go in the basket, right, Let me boot him out and just let him dump it off to the tight end or dump it off to the flat and just get a completion, right like, let him let him, let him see the ball go in the basket. I just didn't think the way he opened up, and then from there you were chasing. Like once those first two series didn't go well, I then felt like you were chasing a little bit, and then you found a rhythm in the second half. Uh and so, and then defensive side with Matt eberflus, are you going to give us answers to our concerns?
Speaker 9: And you talked.
Speaker 6: About the depth and the one thing about the defensive line, unlike an offensive line is the offensive line there is no rotation, right exactly unless a guy is hurt, yeah he's in there.
Speaker 9: There is no rotation.
Speaker 6: And so the guys that we saw in that game, a lot of those guys going to be in a rotation, right, Like a lot of those guys you know, off defensive linemen don't play sixty snaps, right, Like the big boys don't play that. They'll play twenty, they'll play thirty. And there's some other guys that get in there. So I'm looking at, Okay, what happens when those guys have to go in there?
Speaker 9: How much of a fall off is that?
Speaker 8: Exactly?
Speaker 6: You see what I'm saying, Like, how much do we lose when I mean, we don't even really have a big guy in the front that we can really depend on.
Speaker 9: But what happens when that doesn't work right? When what we have Michael back in there.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of stuff I looked at from the side and I was like, for the debut of these two guys, it left much to be desired and a lot of question still at hand on what this football team's identity is, what this football team's culture is going to be, and hopefully we get answers to that sooner rather than late.
Speaker 2: Well we'll quick I'll say this, and I thought of you, Josh. For the second time in four days, we saw the Cowboys get out physical, first being the scrimmage against the Rams, the second being the preseason game against the Rams.
Speaker 5: That's fair. Another point to that, though, is the unknown, the unknown of it all. And Brian john Nimer was talking about Joe Milton yesterday and the reason why he was playing so many snaps is they know Will Greer. They don't know Joe Milton on in again exactly. They haven't seen him in this system out there on the field. When we come back, we need to talk more about what we know now in terms of Joe Milton. We will take a quick break. We'll be right back right after this.
Speaker 13: AT and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 14: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 10: NAH guarantee.
Speaker 14: Place IM in the bagging area. Place IM in the bagging area.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 13: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right terms and conditions. Survive is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 11: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 8: We're with you.
Speaker 11: That's our promise to you because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 8: Where are you?
Speaker 9: Where are united?
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasty coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee today.
Speaker 15: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner, with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation alreadys Reserved.
Speaker 8: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys live from training Campinoxsnar, California. This segment is brought to you by in Visilne, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. I almost said some about some other breakfast food that we used to do or read on. Anyways, Boys, they didn't pay the bill. They didn't pay the bill. That's why they won't get it. But the official smile of Dallas Cowboys. If you didn't know, guys, we got to know Joe a little bit in this preseason game. He got to play first and most of the second half. Schottenheimer's talking about it yesterday. It's like, you know, we have him out there because we need to know who he is as a player on the field. You see him in practice, We've seen the throws that he can make, We've seen the throws that he can't make. And now you've got a bigger taste of what Joe Milton has been able to do on the field with the Cowboys. Can you kind of compare and contrast his first and second half, because obviously it was slow going at first six pass plays in a row three well I think it was two to three and now it's correct correct. So what did you get to know about Joe Milton?
Speaker 12: I mean, if I'm being honest, really not a lot. I still we still don't know about Joe Milton. Brid Schotenhimer said it yesterday.
Speaker 10: We don't know, We don't know what we have in Joe Milton. Yet we don't we know what traits he has.
Speaker 12: We know he has a great arm, we know he can use his legs, and we know that we've seen him make touch passes here in trading camp every once in a while, but we don't know what he is consistently.
Speaker 10: We don't know what he still needs.
Speaker 12: We know he still needs to work on, you know, getting through his reads quicker and making decisions quicker, not holding the ball for forever in the backfield. But for the most part, we don't know because this guy has not played a lot of football. He just straight up hasn't and especially at the NFL level. He's played three preseason games last year and one regular season game, so this is his fifth career NFL game, and it's not really shocking, I should say, to see what he just the inconsistency, and you mentioned the question being you know what did you see first half?
Speaker 10: Second half?
Speaker 12: Really not much different. It was inconsistent, and I think you saw him a little bit more relaxed and settled in in the second half, but really not by much. You know, you pick apart some of the good throws. I mean, you go, you look at the pass to the corner of the ends of the revolve of Fairweather. That's a highlight. But then again, he had Flinoy going in the back corner. I think it was a slot fade and he just overshoots me what I had a touchdown too.
Speaker 10: So it's still so much unknown, and there's still so.
Speaker 12: Much more refining that you need to do with Joe Melton to be confident in him being your backup quarterback. But the issue is there's two weeks until the preseason's over and only a couple more after that until you open the year against Philadelphia, And if Dak Prescott goes down, can you count on.
Speaker 10: Him to win you a game?
Speaker 2: And that's where I was going to go when it comes to Joe Milton in that kind of circling back to Tommy's point about touch. This is something that coming into training camp, I wanted to see not once or twice.
Speaker 8: From Joe Milton.
Speaker 2: I needed to see it consistently because until you can do it consistently, you're not telling me that you're.
Speaker 8: Ready for the next level. Okay, well, the next stage.
Speaker 2: We've seen him make some touch passes here in Oxnar, but we've also seen some of those passes sell We saw far too few passes that require touch that actually had touch against the Rams in the preseason opener. We could talk about, you know, Floyd putting his defender in a blender with the double moved backpyline fadus right there for you. Just lay it up for him. Okay, deep middle crosser, wide open, just lay it up for him. He makes those two throws, we're having a much different conversation about about that young man right now. Unfortunately he didn't. So when you look at that and you combine it with something that Jesse and I we've talked about this and Isaiah and now we've talked about this as well. One thing about Joe Milton is he's not going through his reads in the way that you would want him to go through his reads. If anything gets him off his first read, it feels like he either panics and he tries to bail, or he panics and he freezes. He holds the ball for too long, and now you're giving defenders an opportunity to get into that backfield, and you're already dealing with an offensive line that's trying.
Speaker 8: To figure itself out right now.
Speaker 2: So between those two things, he needs to be a little bit more decisive.
Speaker 8: He needs to read the field a bit better, but.
Speaker 2: Also as strong as his arm is, and we all know how strong his arm is. I think he's over very dependent on the strength of his arm. You don't always need to throw the fastball. The one hundred and one mile an hour fastball to a guy running the slant is not necessary, right, Ryan Fannoyd, deep middle crosser, you don't need.
Speaker 8: The cannon there. You need the sweeping curve. Right.
Speaker 5: And this guy that they've harped on his throwing mechanics and how intelligent he is in terms of getting his footwork right and passing mechanics throughout camp, but you didn't necessarily see it in that preseason game. It's a level of concern because it's like you want him to be prepared and up in the moment. But another thing Shoddy mentioned yesterday is that a lot of these guys were kind of forgetting what they've learned up until this point and rely on instinct, which is kind of what you saw from Joe.
Speaker 2: And to that point, Josh, and I'm glad you segued it this way for me. There's also an aspect of Joe Milton. If you go back and look at the film. In lieu of anticipatory throws, he believes his cannon can force that ball to any window at any time, regardless of if he's anticipating a throw or not. Not when you're playing under the lights at the NFL level, that's not how it works. You have to have anticipation as opposed to thinking that extra split second, Oh, I can look off and come back here, and I have the arm strength to do that. By that time, it's almost a pick. How many times did the Rams nearly intercept Joe Milton because of a situation like that. Instead of anticipating and seeing that and getting the ball to that spot, he glanced off four a second came back because in his head he's like, oh, I can get that throw in there. The linebacker, the secondary they're like, uh, not so much here, brother. So I would like to see those things improve. Was it all bad? Absolutely not, But there was more bad than good. And that's why I agree with his grade of himself as a D minus.
Speaker 6: Joe Milton is a far away than.
Speaker 9: We all would like him to be.
Speaker 6: And if I can, if I could put a Rekie Specki out there, say your backup quarterback ain't on his roster.
Speaker 9: Wow, if I'm because think.
Speaker 5: About it, I think this coach is I would disagree.
Speaker 9: Think about it.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure they can and that there's opposed to because they believe in their skills.
Speaker 8: They cool.
Speaker 9: I'm happy with that.
Speaker 6: But let's just like, if we're thinking about emotion, if we're thinking about this right and this is yeah, yeah, if something happens to four, who are you putting out there?
Speaker 9: Who are you putting out.
Speaker 8: There right now, right now, right now would be will Gar? Right now?
Speaker 6: Are we confident that Will Grier can do and win US three, four, five games?
Speaker 2: I'm confident he can get you. He can get you that one and then from that one. Now it's now it's schematics. From that one, after that one, it's schematics.
Speaker 6: I just look at this and I go when they when the rosters start to be you know, broken down and players getting released, I would not be shocked if the Cowboys go out and bring in a veteran quarterback to be in this especially now that you're able to keep the four quarterbacks and you know you have the emergency you want. That still gives an opportunity for Joe Milton to be around and be developed. But you know, you just don't want to go into this year with a bunch of life. It's once it's one thing to have hope that a guy can do something, but when that hope is you know, atlantic ocean size hope, that that you can't go in with that much hope, that that's not a.
Speaker 5: Strategy two and three. Change your mind about this. No, No, you feel if he has a substantially better performance than two and three.
Speaker 9: I don't think he will.
Speaker 8: That's fair.
Speaker 6: I just, I just, I just I'm looking at the player and I'm looking at progression, right like, all right, where where have we been since we've we've started this thing? I'm talking about OTAs in mini camp, things of that nature, right like, if we're still talking about the touch factor, if we're still talking about the anticipatory uh knowledge of how to break down progressions? Right Like, I'm not tweeted this out, you know, shout out to the wide receivers and and I'm I'm biased.
Speaker 8: Boy.
Speaker 6: They was out there running a lot of love for the game routes. They're running a lot of their love of the game routes, a lot of a lot of routes are that they just run in cause they're like, it ain't coming, ain't gonna get here, you know what I'm saying. And that sucks because you know.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to make a team.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to make a team, and I route this dude up and I give him this business and I'm wide open, and you sell it ten yards over my head, you see what I'm saying. Frust So it's a frustrating thing to look at. And when you see that, you're just like, well, that's a really easy throw. Now you know, you get two more chances at it. I just I don't think the progression has happened so much, and I think that it's gonna take time to get Jill Milton off the mindset of I have this bazooka arm and so like it. You see, I call it arrogant throws. Right, You've watched.
Speaker 9: Aaron Rodgers and his primes.
Speaker 6: You've seen Patrick Mahomes and sometimes John Island and Joe Burrows, guys with the big arms, Right, they have these arrogant throws and sometimes like, hey, just because you can don't mean you should, right, And and sometimes until you get that knowledge of what's happening. Because sometimes we'll watch a game and we'll be like, ooh, you see that throw that that's and I'm going, yeah, but the percentage it says for every one time you complete it, you gotta be knowledge enough to know I probably shouldn't go back to that water we again, right, But like I watched that game in Joe Milton and there should have been two pick sixes on his out telling you like two that he through well behind the receiver, that the normal game.
Speaker 5: Is a pick six against starting secondaries.
Speaker 6: That you see what I'm saying, Like yeah, like that those guys are walking in front of that like thank you, and they're going the opposite way, so that there's there's a lot of ground that needs to be covered by Joe Milton. And and then also you know, because I heard coach talking about it yesterday about them wanting to know more about Joe Mitch means we get to see less of Will Grere, which I think, damn, that's unfair, right because Will was like I get it, but what happens, well, what about me?
Speaker 8: We heard we.
Speaker 6: Heard Cooper Rush out of the year ago is like, hey, they gave Trey Lance all the snaps because they want to see what Trey Lance was and I didn't get any. I need that too. Look, I need to work too. I'm not getting a lot of reps in practice.
Speaker 9: I need to.
Speaker 6: I need to make sure that my my sword is still sharp when I go out there. Don't don't, don't, don't put me behind the eight ball because he ain't showing you enough in practice weekend and week out. Now let me get mine too, so that if if you decide that I'm not a part of your equation anymore, I got something on a film that someone else would like, and I can go out somewhere else.
Speaker 8: Here's what I say.
Speaker 2: My mind can change based upon these next two games. Now that the angle that that Jesse and I are looking at it are a bit different, a bit differently. Jesse is saying he doesn't believe that Joe okay fair enough because he's going by the body of work, and like thereop to this point. I'm saying that if he proved just wrong and balls out against the Raiders, for example, oh okay, that that's my thought process. I'm like, oh okay, I see you, Joe, Now do it one more time in the finale, because again, consistency is key.
Speaker 8: Going out and having one big game. That's great and all, but can you have to.
Speaker 6: But but and I hear what you're saying, Yeah, you've been here since.
Speaker 8: Win uh Jude July twentieth.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, what is the same thing that you just say.
Speaker 8: I've seen the same.
Speaker 10: So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: If he proves you wrong, then I'll be like, Okay, so where our points are attached.
Speaker 8: Where our points are attached. But we're hoping, yeah, we are hoping hoping here's all the.
Speaker 6: Weeks of work in two weeks that you will ultimately it'll click, that it'll click when I've seen like I've seen a body of work since April. That's true, that says the same thing about you. Right, Like we've said the same We can I can go back and watch Joe show, my show, his show, and that show, this show, and we're all going to say the same thing about Joe Milk.
Speaker 2: And we're saying right now today, you're saying in two weeks, the biggest changes we see, the biggest concern is Okay, let's say let's say you were of the mindset that, oh, well, the cowboys should go aheading and bring in a more proven veteran. Okay, well, let me give you like two or three names that are in the free agency pool. When you tell me how much cringe is attached to these names? When I say these names number one, Carson Wentz, Yes, okay, Jeff Driscoll who exactly? And and I hate to do it, but I gotta do it, you know, Jake from No Georgia.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but just absolutely.
Speaker 10: I think that makes a big point. But here's the thing.
Speaker 8: They're not out there. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Happens when roster break down.
Speaker 2: No, that's different, right, that's different when we start talking waivers and people start falling off of rosters in about two weeks, And that's a different convers I want to get your point before.
Speaker 12: But here's the thing is, even when guys get off of rosters like you guys are mentioning, that's a good point. Is there going to be a guy that's on waivers that has veteran experience of this team doesn't have. Is there going to be someone better than the guys that Patrick just listed that you can feel confident in saying, Okay, yeah, this guy can go win.
Speaker 10: It's a game. I like to trade for Joe Milton in the off season. I didn't like this team. Let Cooper Rush go.
Speaker 12: I think just the fact that he was so valuable in terms of the backup quarterback position as a whole, is so valuable in today's NFL with how many injuries there are in the game now that when you have a guy like that, it's a luxury. It's a luxury to have a guy that you can count on to go win you games. Is it cool fun sexually football? No, not all the time. But it doesn't matter. One games for him when he needed to, he lost games.
Speaker 8: Letting you finis.
Speaker 12: I'm I'm not saying it's going to be your starter, but he's been there and he's done that, and that's something that this team right now just doesn't have.
Speaker 2: Four was not what you wanted to resigning, But in terms of him being able to come in at least, I'll give you.
Speaker 6: For sure four goes down, We're screwed.
Speaker 9: That's just that's just what it is.
Speaker 8: Stay up for Pauls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, hopefully we do not have that issue. But when we come back, we need to discuss more talking cowboys more. After this, we'll be right back.
Speaker 13: AT and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 14: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 8: Not guarantee.
Speaker 14: Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 13: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right terms and conditions. Survive is a att dot com slast guarantee for details. AT and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran found with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 16: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper, Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 14: Dear doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 16: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 8: To cry out?
Speaker 16: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favor It's in a full sized intense therapy whipbawm. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Did you know at end of the year is presented by Captain Morgan, and Beemer's doing a Captain Morgan stance over there. He should be. He's doing it now there he is there. It is welcome back to Talking Cowboys Live from training camp at Oxnard, California. Boys, we have to talk about the most surprising things that happened in the game. And I don't want to say surprising in a good or a bad sense. I just want to talk about surprising. What surprised you the most. I'll kick us off in that. Seeing Tyler Booker on the sideline was a little confusing to me. Bran schtten Humber just said yesterday in the press conference, you know, young guys need to play. I was surprised Tyler Booker a healthy scratch, being healthy one of the I think one of the only two healthy first round draft picks that did not play in their first preseason game. To me, it was I mean, not that it's alarming, but it's like we should be seeing some of this guy. I was confused by that choice. But of course the coaches have with with their their minds made up about these things in advance. Hopefully he sees some action in the preseason. Uh, I was a little surprised by that, were you, guys?
Speaker 8: I was until shoddy clarify the.
Speaker 5: Thought process and what does that pass?
Speaker 2: The thought process was workload management in the capacity of guys like Tyler Booker. Did infect see a lot of work in that offensive in those offensive trenches four days prior against the Rams, So you gotta you gotta wonder if how much of that weighed into it. Now, I will say with that being the case, because as he was explaining, I was like.
Speaker 8: Hmm, I don't entirely agree, but I don't entirely.
Speaker 2: Disagree either, But you won't be able to use that excuse again for week two in the preseason against the Ravens. So, now being that shot, he said, that's the reason that Booker didn't play. Now, I fully expect Tyler Booker to play against the Ravens. Now if that does not occur, now I'm back, we'll be home. Then then I'm in the studio asking the very big question, why are we avoiding giving I don't care that he's the first round pick. I know you're injury protection and all of that, but he needs the reps.
Speaker 8: Period.
Speaker 2: We saw what happened to Tyler got in when he was unable to take reps last preseason because of an injury. Well, Tyler Booker is healthy, right, you want him on the field as much as possible so that he can try his best to hit the ground running when you go up against a guess who, the Philadelphia freaking Eagles. So I fully expect Tyler Booker be on the field. We'll see what the coaches decide against the Ravens. But you know, if that's the reason that Shoty's given, I don't entirely agree. I don't entirely disagree, but now there's no reason based upon that to not play Tyler Booker against the Ravens.
Speaker 12: I'll say I entirely disagreed with that. I think that he's I mean, he said it, young guys need to play. Tyler Booker's young, last time I checked. So he's a guy that just needed the reps and he didn't. I'm not saying he needs to play the whole game. You put him out there for. If you would put him out there for two drives, it would have ended up being six plays. And if you were like, all right, we're good after that, then I think I'd be somewhat. Okay, I think you know, you maybe look for like ten to fifteen, which is what guys like Donovan Azaraku and Maris Leafal got. But the fact of the matter is like this, this guy, yes he had the joint practice, but it's not really a game environment, right, Like, He's got to get a real game environment under his under his belt. And I don't know, they pay Brian Schotenheimer a lot more to make these kinds of decisions than they do me.
Speaker 10: But I just think you need to play him in that.
Speaker 5: Sort But for a guy that hasn't seen the NFL field before, you probably want to give him as much chances as you can. It's humanly possible to get him acclimated to that. Jesse, I kind of want you to your thoughts on this, coming from an actual player in the NFL, please.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 6: One of the things I'm here's my I'm gonna get to your point. I'm gonna let me make this left two lefts and three less make right. So I watched and I listened to the players talking this documentary last night, and Michael Irvin's charl Hilly's just In Thesmiths of the worlds right, and the way that they spoke, the way did they talked, and the way that you know that their locker room was constructed, right, there was a level of accountability. Even though they had their off the field stuff, when it came to football stuff, there was a level of accountability.
Speaker 9: And I look at the.
Speaker 6: Way that locker rooms and teams and players are built today and I just think about and Michael Irvin has said this, who the hell of these guys to not be playing in these games?
Speaker 9: Tom said there was thirty.
Speaker 12: Guys thirty seven thirty that that that now, that's that's combined injury.
Speaker 6: And I'm hearing you, but I mean I can name fifteen that work that were healthy, that were healthy and were healthy, right, I can name fifteen and not include CD and Dak. You see what I'm saying, Who the hell are these dudes to not be playing like? And I'm saying like now, I say Michael and Emmett and Charles because those are the type of guys that are like would have been Troy would have been like, wait, I get while Michael's not playing, Cavante Turpet, brother, we like you a lot.
Speaker 9: You need to play, you know, Hey, coach.
Speaker 6: Wait, if I'm if I'm, if I'm dak, I'm saying to myself, hey, coach, we're not gonna get these young fellow reps against in Philadelphia.
Speaker 9: Like, that's not what I want.
Speaker 6: That's what I that's when I don't I don't want to find out in Philadelphia.
Speaker 9: That he can't protect me.
Speaker 6: Right, I don't want to find out in Philadelphia where.
Speaker 8: His efficiencies are, and then New.
Speaker 9: York and then New York.
Speaker 6: Right, I don't want to find out their coach, what do we Why is he not playing? Like, what's what's happening here?
Speaker 9: Oh? You know, if.
Speaker 6: I'm defensively, if I'm if I'm if I'm oh, so I'm if I'm Mike, I'm saying, hey, there's a reason why the other guys ain't playing out here, Like.
Speaker 9: Why Sam ain't playing?
Speaker 8: Is he hurt?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: No, this is a guy who ain't been on the field healthy for us for a long time.
Speaker 8: We need you.
Speaker 6: So I'm saying all that to say that we want to talk about culture change, and we want to talk about things being different.
Speaker 9: That doesn't happen when you got.
Speaker 6: Thirty guys on the sideline in preseason Game one, and a lot of those guys should be playing.
Speaker 9: In those games.
Speaker 12: And to add to that point, for Tyler Booker specifically, like all right, man, yeah you're good for the preseason.
Speaker 10: Hey, first NFL game, go ahead. Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis Sarver, they're waiting for you.
Speaker 9: Good luck, like.
Speaker 6: Man, like from from from Dak's perspective, if I'm CD, I'm saying, wait, if we're gonna find out if Tyler Booky can block or not in week one? If he ain't getting this job done, I mean Dak running around the crazy. I mean, I ain't getting what I'm supposed to be getting off in this game on his opening night of four ball, because there's there's an ego. There's an ego in there, right like the world receivers, we have egos. I want to get mine, especially against those who they think are the best. I want to shine in that game too. So it's like, yeah, he's not playing, so Dak ain't doing well. So now I ain't doing well the running game now we are. Now now things look a little bit crazy.
Speaker 9: So it's like.
Speaker 6: I expect different from Shoddy, but I expect different from these veterans too, I expect them to.
Speaker 9: Be like, what's going on here?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 6: Maybe I say it publicly to us, but internally there should be some what you ain't been in no Pro bowls, you ain't been on Pro You ain't last I checked, you ain't Your salary ain't sixty million annually thirty million. You know what I'm saying, Like, you ain't about to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Sorry, sirih a millionaire. My biggest thing was like if we we we we so much want what they had in the nineties, but we are we are unwilling to be and have that level of accountability that they had. Like imagine Charles Haley looking down there and he's seeing that name of backup coach. Why is this bleep, bleep bleep not playing? Charles wipe is like, you'll get your pads on, you're playing.
Speaker 9: I don't care what the hell that coaches.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that they gotta be, you know, be rolled, but I'm just saying that we want different results, but we keep going down the.
Speaker 9: Same path.
Speaker 6: Of of nonsense.
Speaker 8: Over protection over protection.
Speaker 6: You gotta play football, guys, like we got football.
Speaker 5: Ability of injuries you're afraid of all those things, and that's understandable because it's happened a lot in our life.
Speaker 2: However, go ahead, Shoddy is the same one they said you have to build callouses. That is a quote. You can't build callouses on the sideline.
Speaker 5: And I'd argue he's been more physical. This team has been more physical out here on the practice field than they have in past years.
Speaker 2: That I agreed, because they also don't have nearly as many rest days as as I've seen another mcarth theatery exactly.
Speaker 8: That's that's perfectly true.
Speaker 5: So but it's one thing if you do it out there. But whenever the Rams come in here and they are out physically you, and again, like you've pointed out, they have out physical you again on Saturday, because that becussco character.
Speaker 6: You'll be trying to come physical with a group really physical. So it looks different, it smells different, it feels different. It's always like, yeah, I'm in training, I'm doing all this kind of stuff, and then you walk out of this prime Mike, it don't look the same, it don't feel the same.
Speaker 2: You know what they're up against now, Harball's front absolutely boys, But we just said, what's the standard right now for physicality?
Speaker 5: All right, boys, that'll do it for this edition of Talking Cowboys. We have to end the show. We have to say goodbye to Oxnard, California for Talking Cowboys. Thank you so much for everybody. Thank you, Chris Beam, thank you, Kyle Yeomens, thank you, I say a stand back, Tommy Arks for stepping out. Thank you, Jesse Holly for stepping on this episode. For Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, we will see you next time. From the Star in Frisco, Texas, Dallas.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.