Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear.
Speaker 2: Listening toast, you can't predict anything presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel from Marino bass layers to technical outerwear.
Speaker 1: For every hunt, First Light, Go farther, stay longer. All right, we're recording in Seth's trashed out. A frame is trashed out, Moldy, Alaska. A frame which is looking really good. What's coming a long way? Looking really good? The porch is still gone. Yeah, no porch. The porch fell off.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a nice touch though, because you know those endless pools.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It's like an infinity It's like an infinity house.
Speaker 5: When the tide is up and you sit where Chester is, it's an infinity house. You cannot see land in between the front windows.
Speaker 1: And the and the water. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we're looking at two big sliding glass doors at the ocean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When Seth bought his southeast last gay frame, I think had you bought it? When I notified that your porch was gone? Oh yeah, yeah, I came up and I seth recollexes. I don't recollect. Yeah, I'll tell a story.
Speaker 7: Kay.
Speaker 5: We we hadn't as as the crew that bought this place. We hadn't been up here all together yet. I was the only one that had seen this place. Everyone else bought Sight Unseen. But you came up last spring to bear Hunt and I get a phone call from you and you say I have good news and I have bad news. And I was like, all right, well, let's let's hear the bad news. And he goes, your porch fell off. It's a high Like, what do you mean fell off? And he said it fell off, it's laying on the ground. Said all right, well, what's the good news? He said, the fishing has been good.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing right off top, going out of going on a book tour with a twist, No, not really a twist. So our first book ever for kids is coming out, and we got some great videos coming up to show the book. We got great videos. It's like, you know, it's like those kind of videos where you see someone doing something in a little bits. I don't know what to tell you call them the process videos. Yeah, process video. So we got a process video coming up. Making your own scaler and scaling the bluegill, all with real live kids doing it. We've got a process video coming up. This will be on my Instagram at Steven Ranella wherever. We got a process video coming up. And make a bull gun out of nothing but stuff that would be in any house besides a little chunk of PBC, which is in most houses. Yeah, if you're a kid, just tear the PVC off the wall.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, take a blow gun out of it.
Speaker 1: Out of the wall. In my place, they used to be exposed. But uh, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, dig around, tear the sheet rock up. See if you find the BBC back there.
Speaker 3: You can find up here at the shack and.
Speaker 4: Get you get your thing.
Speaker 1: So everything every the book has everything you need to not everything. You still gotta love them and feed them and everything, but has much of what you need to raise adventurous, competent outdoor kids with a little bit of a raw edge to them. How to build, how to build a campfires, how to build their own little ground blind, how to build bullfrog gigs. Navigation using sun, navigation using stars, hot tips on tree climbing, emergency shelters, identifying fossils, fish gutting, animal tracking, much more. It's a great kids activity book. A lot of stuff's little bit dangerous, so you gotta do it with them. Some stuff's fine.
Speaker 4: You go through the.
Speaker 1: Book and you decide what the kid could do by himself and what the kid ought to wait for you to help them with. So I'm gonna go on. We're gonna go on tour to sign the books, and I'll be gone. I'll be out June sixteenth to June twenty fifth. I'll be signing first edition copies of the new book at Shields stores. Okay, so you go to your local Shields store in the town's I'm gonna tell you about a second here, and we'll do pictures and sign books. Billings. That's Billings, Montana, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Omaha, Nebraska, Kansas City, Missouri, Dallas, Texas, Colorado Springs and Johnston, Colorado, and Sandy, Utah. No eastern cities at this time. But we're gonna do a lot. We're gonna we're gonna have live shows coming up and we'll hit other areas. Uh So here here's how this works. And this is it's annoying, but it's just true. You gotta buy a ticket to go. But all you're doing you need to buy a ticket just buying the book. Okay, you have to buy the book to go to get in the door. I think there might be some way to do it there, but like just but but it's capped. Okay, So you buy the book. It's like you're buying a ticket, but you're not. You're getting the book and and bring your kids, like you don't need to buy a book for everybody, like you know, buy the book, bring your kids.
Speaker 4: So, any how's this go? I'm gonna make sure I get this right.
Speaker 1: Where do you go to get them?
Speaker 6: Hey, to clarify, you're saying that a ticket would get a family in Yeah, okay, that's big.
Speaker 7: It's big.
Speaker 1: Visit them meteater dot com for tickets. So go to the meat eater dot com for tickets and we'll see you at uh at the Shields store in those locations. They'll get their book at the store with the ticket. I believe you redeem it. Yeah, that's right, it sounds right. You get it, and it's just the it's the cover price of the book. It's just the cover price of the book. When you get there, your book will be waiting for you. Will get your book signed. It's great. Do some pictures. Shield Stores got it.
Speaker 4: That's big. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you say the name of the book, Steve. I don't think you said the name of the book. I know you've said it a lot, Clay, I know you said it a lot. Guy's like a professional cat. Count the Stars. Great mind that fun projects, skills and adventures for outdoor kids.
Speaker 6: I think this would be a good book to buy as a gift for people that have young kids for real, like as as a friend the family that's got young kids and you're going, let's say you're going to their house for you know, a special holiday. You just want to bring a housewarming gift or whatever.
Speaker 3: Catch a crayfish. Count the Stars. I'm going to get one for Oscar.
Speaker 4: That's a great idea. I'll tell you one, as.
Speaker 3: Long as it's signed to Oscar Love Steve.
Speaker 1: I was fishing the day you were born. There you go, that's that's what it's gonna say. But didn't catch nothing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leave that little detail because I wasn't with your dad.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, here here's a call to action. I need everybody. People got to listen up. We're doing so. If you followed our Campfire Story series Campfire Stories Close Calls, there's the Close Calls Volume one, Close Calls Volume two. These are audio originals we're working on running right now. And here's what we're looking for. We're looking for people out there who have had unexpected finds finding something crazy. It doesn't even need to be totally unexpected, but finding something crazy. Let's say you were the person that found the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk on the bottom Leg Superior. That's say you found a body that had been missing for decades while you're out hunting. That's interesting. Definitely say you had say you were, oh this artifact yep. Like for instance, when we had Mike Cunson and Mike Couns talked about finding the MASA site, that's interesting. It could be anything that we're just looking for great stories of finding discovery. It could even be and I hesitant to say this, but in the perfect scenario, it could be that you found out something about yourself.
Speaker 5: But go light on those. That's a high bar about like finding a well preserved bear trap in the mountains.
Speaker 1: Perfect, that would be good. Here's another one that's good you find a frozen ice age hunter coming thawing out of a glacier. Hey, what if.
Speaker 6: You your father was hunting in the nineteen nineties and he died, but before he died, he shot a bull elk that he never found that fell into a glacier. Twenty years later, you come back with your son who's never met his grandfather, and you find the bull elk in the glacier.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, see, okay, okay, a hermit, you found a little hermit. That would be a good story. The more relevance, the better to the find, like, for instance, the guy that found Samuel Champlainan's astro labe while tilling a field in Ontario. That's interesting, but you can't set.
Speaker 6: The bar too high because most of us have not made like world changing discoveries in the wild.
Speaker 1: We need to hear stories about the stories we're looking at.
Speaker 4: So if you got.
Speaker 3: One, If you were fishing and you hooked body with your number, a box with your or an old shoe with your crank bait and reel them in and it was a person.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right in about that for sure.
Speaker 5: When I was beach combing yesterday, I came across the wet suit down in all the rubble. You did, Yeah, I did? And I was like, am I about to find a dead person?
Speaker 1: You found a wetsuit beach coming?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was all tore up. Yeah, you didn't even tell us. You should write into this email.
Speaker 1: I about ready to give I will campfire stories at the meater dot com onto the news.
Speaker 4: I was like reluctant to cover anything.
Speaker 1: Out of Yellowstone guy the Yellowstone. A bunch of bikes that swim across the river, although Calf can't make it to him. Calf gets stranded on the bank. Okay, the herd takes off the other side.
Speaker 4: Of the Lamar.
Speaker 3: Somebody put it in their car.
Speaker 4: Again, No, he didn't do that.
Speaker 1: He screed it up the hill and like screried it back up the hill away from the river. A white male.
Speaker 4: Oh, by that, that's it. That's it. I was thinking, like.
Speaker 1: I thought, Balder baldering today is long blue T shirt? Are we looking for this guy? Shades? So I think they got him. He's got a grain beard, shades, Balder and cow.
Speaker 4: I thought it was gonna be that Ma came down down the bank and.
Speaker 1: No, he they already found him. He played guilty. OK so this guy got in trouble for doing that. Yeah, so he he uh, he got intro over doing it. So he pushed the struggling calf up from the river and onto the roadway, where it proceeded to like follow cars around and be abandoned. And they said the herd wouldn't accept it because the man touched it. I don't know that I buy that.
Speaker 4: I don't either.
Speaker 1: I think that it might have or like it didn't cross the river when they crossed the river and they abandoned it there. I think this guy's getting in trouble for something he didn't do. Find two hundred and thirty five bucks and had to pay five hundred dollars to the Yellowstone Park Foundation Wildlife Protection Fund. He didn't flat out break the rules. You can't get within you can't. You gotta stay twenty five yards away from uh, you got to stay twenty five yards away from by some hundred yard hundred yards away from bears wolves. Park officials are investigating. I don't know why.
Speaker 5: At this point, it's not clear to people that like when you go to Yellowstone, don't touch the animals.
Speaker 4: Well, you can picture this poor you can picture this poor guy.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's stranded, dude.
Speaker 3: How many It's still like, how many people go to Yellowstone every year? Like the chances of there being a couple kind of you.
Speaker 1: Just can't get the word out enough. Yeah, just don't touch the animals, don't touch the critters, and like, don't touch the critters.
Speaker 5: But also I don't know what people's like vision of Yellowstone is, but like natural life still goes on there, you know, and like if you see a bison calf that's like about to die, like it would have like that's how it works.
Speaker 7: Well, it's like they've never heard of Yellowstone because if you're looking for Yellowstone in the news, it's just people getting in trouble forgetting too close to the animals.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, you meet that place, you're going to get in trouble to touch everything. A listener did us a great favor. We've talked a couple of times about the guy. Every time. If you're like a male, I don't know how they I'm sure this is served heavily to males. If you're a male in the let's say twenty to fifty age bracket, I'm guessing who they're serving this ad to you're familiar with the shirtless guy making selfie videos or he's on fake podcasts, yeah v shred, and he's like, he'll say something to the effect of yeah, oh is it. I think he'll say something to the effect of everybody knows cardio, Bill burns fat right wrong? Oh yeah, well the YouTube ats yeah yeah, and you want to and you don't talk, and you're like, man.
Speaker 7: Is he right?
Speaker 1: Well a guy he was. He was alerting me a couple of times to a testosterone killing food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard that one.
Speaker 1: And I would watch as long as I could bear it, and I did never find out what exactly is killing men's testosterone. So a guy had a listener after listening to Monday's episode, you guys are joking about the YouTube ad guy where the guy never gets to the point. Shortly after listening, of course, his ad popped up. I'm a painter, so I threw in my earbud. God's listening after watching a one hour and eighteen minute video, no joke. The mystery food killing testosterone was flax seeds ps. After watching the video, I'm still unsure of what the guy is selling. Huh, that really is one of the great mysteries of the Internet.
Speaker 4: Now here.
Speaker 1: Well, no, just like one of that guy's selling.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, folks, stay tuned, because're gonna pretty sum We're gonna talk about the new revolutionary black bear hunting technique I developed Clay executed upon. It was a it was a cold ab Yeah. I developed it and then quickly tried to abandon it, but Clay stuck it out. Clay stuck it out and developed the new technique, which I'm hesitant to even bring up. I might make a YouTube video where I'd be like, what's the best way to kill a black bird? And just and then you watch and watch, watch, I'd never tell you and at the end you're like, this one secret.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, you guys gotta pay attention because this is very philosophical. In episode four forty, you all debated whether it would be okay to lie on a rental application, asking if a tenant planned to bring firearms into a home. I remember this, He says, this is not an etiquette question, it's a philosophical question. During that converse, Steve used the quote murderer at the door scenario. Now pay careful attention. Most of the other podcast members, and especially phil seemed to think it was irrelevant to the situation being discussed. I'm quoting from the person that wrote in it's actually it's my favorite part. It's actually very relevant. The murder at the door scenario was made by the philosopher Emmanuel Cant in the eighteenth century, specifically to counter a French philosopher's claim that you only have a moral obligation to tell the truth to one who has a right to truth. Can't believe that being truthful was a sacred and unconditionally commanding law in all situations, even if there was a murder at your door looking for your friend. Can't would say that the man who wrote in asking for advice was morally obligated to be truthful on the rental application, regardless of the potential outcome. The less famous French philosopher, who I think is right, would say that the man could morally lie if the person renting the home had no right to know, if a potential tenant had firearms, no right to know. Meaning you're out fishing and you just laying on a real hotspot. Some guy you never met in your life says, are you catching anything? You go just a little one or whatever. You say, nothing much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that happened that you feel that happened all the time.
Speaker 4: They have no right to know.
Speaker 1: But then, but then your main fishing partner says, did you catch any He has a right to know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, if I'm catching him, I'm on the phone with my main fishing partner.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, if I'm not with him.
Speaker 1: Do you want to hear the rest? Because he gets into you in a minute here?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Chester's argument that if the wife really wanted the apartment and you did too, then you could fib it a little bit, which is a quote, is essentially hedonism, a philosophy which claims that man's only moral obligation is to maximize his own pleasure. I don't think there are many etiquette books written by hedonists, So if he acts fast, he might be a able to corner the market. Could I give one last thing before you counter Chester? He says, Anyways, love the podcast. I've noticed I'm not going to get into details on this. He goes, I've noticed that there's often an inverse correlation between the fame of your guest.
Speaker 4: And the quality of the show.
Speaker 1: It goes on to have many examples which I'm not going to read the examples because that's mean go ahead, Chester.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was kind of going back and forth on that. That one the etiquette thing there. I think I should have stuck with my guns what I said.
Speaker 1: First, which was none of their business.
Speaker 3: No, I think I said I would tell the truth.
Speaker 1: You're like a can't You're like an emmanual can't. Yeah, but whatever, I would not tell the truth.
Speaker 8: Hey, everyone, filled just chiming in here to stave off any sort of snarky emails we might get containing something along the lines of, oh, Steve can't pronounce Kant, a dumb joke that I would never make. Of course, Steve is aware that the name is pronounced Emmanuel kanked.
Speaker 4: Back to the.
Speaker 1: Show, guy wrote in about uh, for some ate, I can't remember this. We were talking about coin purses made out of kangaro nut sacks.
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not shocking.
Speaker 4: I think we talked about that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Wasn't there like a they shut down?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I remember talking about anyway, this guy says, my family we have a long history making buck ball bag gearshift covers after you get a buck. I've seen these sharing it. I've never done it. After you get a buck, you cut the scroll off and empty the contents. You didn't put that over the shift knob like a helmet. I like that little detail like a helmet on your manual transmission or transfer k ship knob and tie the bottom off of the short piece of straight He likes to run fuzzy side out. The bag drives around the shift knobs, saving you, leaving you with a great conversation piece and a warm soft spot to put your hand in a cold winter's day. Most commonly people will ask if it's a rabbit.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, anyone who takes issue with it doesn't need to ride all that bad. He also points out there's no stink. As the hair wears off over time, you'll be left with a thin lever color, a thin leather cover that can last for years. Eventually it will crack one day. You'll have to take it off or it'll fall off. The factory nob becomes a subconscious reminder that has been a while since you were successful.
Speaker 4: This is deep. I feel like you should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, find a roll for this guy. Email writer Mulders seemed to best for my making model Antelope or tad small big shifter elk is too big. Big horn sheep sacks would probably cover the shift now shift lever and half the transmission. You can't send a picture because he's in Japan.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, we need to have that guy under a buck.
Speaker 4: This guy's good.
Speaker 1: I want to know what he's doing in Japan. It's probably he's military.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, what's a guy that's got a buck buck sack on his shifter doing in Japan?
Speaker 4: Military? Here's a good one.
Speaker 1: This is a chatticate question, so the rule on chettikot check gets the final answer, even though it's probably wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I coach him just a little bit? Yeah, I'm staying out of.
Speaker 6: No no, no no, like beforehand, like I don't want to get into the we need, this is what we need?
Speaker 1: He would tell you would he would lose the apartment over someone telling someone something that's none of their business. Well, I'm saying we just need more certainty.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: I think you know you have an opinion. Yeah, I think you're being more like a magic eight ball. You're being pulled a little bit too hard. I think sometimes we're left not knowing really what you think.
Speaker 3: I think really what happens is like I'm on a podcast right now, so what I say is gonna be heard by a lot of people. So I'm thinking about it too hard, and I just need to go with my guts and trust yourself. So I'm going to be certain.
Speaker 4: Is cheikak.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say anything, Clay I want you can talk about it. You can talk about it, Doctor Randall. Feel free. I have a question concerning the purchase of land.
Speaker 4: Seth perk right up to see that I like purchasing land. I have found.
Speaker 1: I have found fifteen acres in a western state that is bordered by over fifteen thousand acres of mostly land.
Speaker 4: Locked public land.
Speaker 1: There are only a couple of homes within a quarter mile from the house, so it's perfectly remote. But you still have what I'm hoping to cool neighbors. If I purchase the land, what do I do about public access? I don't want to be the feller in Wyoming that brought the nonsense corner crossing bs, which a judge is you know that that guy's getting totally shot down. There's just another ruling in that case, which is more to the effect of nothing happened like nothing happened to your land. No damage is done by corner crossers. We're gonna cover that in greater detail as things become more clear. Anyhow, he doesn't want to be that guy. However, I don't know how I feel about a bunch of people parking on my land to access to public land. Now that I'm typing this, I don't really know how to ask what I want to know.
Speaker 5: I think he wants to know, would you let would you let people? So, here's your land to access to?
Speaker 1: Yeh, so here he's saying, here I am. I'm gonna buy a chunk of private land that has access to landlocked public land. Does he have a moral obligation to make his house a trailhead? Well, I don't think. From I don't think a moral obligation.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Well, so I'm staying out of it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, from the contract, from the context that we got he leaves in there he says mostly landlocked. So if if it's truly landlocked, I would say, I'm all about letting people access public land. I think we are all too, So I would say you could probably work with your work with the state and get a little parking area or something and.
Speaker 1: Really you would do that, Chester, I don't think you understand what's happening here?
Speaker 4: What he?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do?
Speaker 1: I mean, as are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: You might have just bought the best hunting property, Jess.
Speaker 1: You're saying, you're saying that if you bought fifteen acres of land and it gave you access to fifteen thousand acres of landlocked and when he says mostly land, I don't know what he means. But okay, you bought fifteen acres in a butt's a big chunk of landlocked public you're saying you would turn your fifteen acres into a public access part. That's that is wonderful if true.
Speaker 3: I mean, dude, think about all this stuff we do at Meat Eater to get access to public land, like you put where your mouth is. Yeah, why wouldn't Why wouldn't you if you're if we're we're the ones raising money to get easements and stuff like this.
Speaker 4: What about if you didn't work at meat Eater.
Speaker 3: I probably I wouldn't let people access.
Speaker 1: Real life scenario.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't be quite that altruistic like in a real life scenario.
Speaker 3: We I'm just saying with what we're doing, right now I'm being certain here, Okay, Clay, Okay, with what we're doing at meat Eater and raising all this money for land access and stuff. Absolutely, that's fifteen thousand whatever he said, that's a ton of hunting land that that for that we are raising money for currently to try and like get little easements.
Speaker 1: And I like him to send me the listing. He doesn't even give what state.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say that guy, if he's ever interested in selling, should send an email to cal kelb and and and maybe they can work out a little land access initiative deal.
Speaker 1: There, did I say I was gonna stay out of it? You did, Well, you can take it back. I'm taking it back. Here's what I do. Here's what I do if I real world scenario I bought that chunk. Real world scenario is I wouldn't be a tight ass with my friends and stuff, but I don't know that I would actually turn my home into a trailhead. I would probably be like I like to think I would be very generous with friends and kids and neighbors and whatnot, But I don't know that I would put up a sign, just just trying to be realistic. And I think it's it's it's a there.
Speaker 6: It could be spread out into different areas of life where you have access to something good. It's like we have a great elk pot roast cooking in the kitchen. Are we gonna let all the strangers that want to come eat dinner with us? Come eat dinner?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, are we gonna.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just like there's all kinds of stuff that we individually have access to that we have a right to as humans, to have some access to something that's.
Speaker 7: And this guy, as the most recent purchaser of land adjacent to this big chunk of public it's he's under no obligation to solve a problem that everybody else isn't solving. Yeah, I mean he might actually he might piss off his neighbors. Or he will for sure. Oh yeah, if and if you really I mean, I would approach it similarly to you. And if I felt really good guilty about it, I would make it my life's mission to establish new access to some other piece of public life someone else on the other side of the way.
Speaker 6: It would be the same question of if you had, you know, fifteen acres of private ground. It's like Chester, would you let the public public hunt, and answer would be would be no.
Speaker 1: Here's Oh that's a great Let's say yeah, Chester, Let's say you bought.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal. Clay brought up the pot roast thing. You know, if I'm cooking a pot roast in my kitchen and I'm not going to go hold a sign out like Steve saying hey, come and get some pot roast. But if some guy out there rolls up on his boat and it's raining and he's like, you guys, got any food, I'm going to welcome in in here with open arms and I'm going to give him some of that pot roast. Is if I own a chunk of private property. My father, he owns a junk of private property. He doesn't have a sign out in front of it saying come hunt. Okay, But if some guy comes over with it compelling story.
Speaker 1: Moldial a frame porch fell off, Yeah, it'd be generous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our friend Carl, Carl Malcolm, that's ask my father there.
Speaker 5: But on your property, my a frame in Alaska, the porch fell off, I can hunt.
Speaker 4: Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So I I know a guy also that has an easement through his property and he's got it on the corner. He doesn't have a big old sign out there. People aren't constantly people know, the people that know know, and it's not a whole lot of people accessing that. And also those people that access through that do all kinds are real nice things for that guy, really like, you know, they take care of him. So I don't think it be the worst thing in the world. It's all just depends on the situation. But we gotta we gotta put our money where our mouth is at meat eating.
Speaker 5: Back in the day, while I was still in Pennsylvania, I was real young. The hunting property at my family owns, which you got Steve Chat, you've guys seen. We used to be enrolled in this program with the Game Commission where they would supply trees and food, plot seed, and we would plan all that stuff and then let the public on it.
Speaker 4: But that quickly quickly ended, did it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Too much chaos?
Speaker 4: Too much chaos.
Speaker 5: You try to go up to your tree staying on opening morning and someone's sitting in your stand like it was just yeah too it was too much to handle, and you just basically lost all your opportunity on your own property.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: But it worked for a little bit. But yeah, so that's like.
Speaker 1: Kind of brings this whole conversation on the sour note just one perspective.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm glad that there's chesters out there.
Speaker 1: Maybe there are a lot of chesters out there in the world, because I know and am the beneficiary of many landowners who are exceedingly generous. Doug, Bubby Doug. I can't remember to help someone like Bubby. I can't remember with the number Bubby Doug had like forty some people hundred dugs place last year.
Speaker 4: He's controlled about it. You know, you got like.
Speaker 1: Turkey a season, Turkey b season down the line, you got like you know, youth dear rifle late this. You know, he's measured about it and kind of has a schedule in his head. But man, yeah, nothing wrong with being generous, super generous. My friend Mark lives by me. Super generous people are always out there, super good about kids. Right, He's not in a program, he's not an access program, no big sign out front, but like exceedingly generous to the point where you like you're saying, to the point where you are costing yourself opportunity because you could just you could just be like mine, mind mine.
Speaker 3: But in the in the long run that that probably makes a guy like Doug, you know, just just a happier human being because he's sharing and stuff. I don't know.
Speaker 6: So could we say that this guy has a moral obligation to be generous?
Speaker 7: No, no, but he'd probably he'd probably feel good if he was.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready to move on?
Speaker 3: Yep, you go, Chester, Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 1: So the final thing is Chester is Chester's taking the moral high ground, doing what's right. Yeah, So we kind of forgot about the listener. If you buy that place, it's great. If you don't let me know where that spot's at.
Speaker 3: Whatever he does, you know, I'm not going to be bummed up, you know, if he wants to keep that to himself, just what I would do.
Speaker 1: So over the years of over the years of hunting coastal black bears, I have made adopted a couple of strategies that I like. And one strategy I adopted for hunting coastal black bears is to do it in waiters. Now, when you're doing it in waiters, there is the obvious safety risk. You do not want to go overboard in deep water with good current cold water in waiters. That is a that's just the reality. You could act like you're going to be so diligent that you don't put your waiters on until you're ready to get out and go after a bear, But that's you're.
Speaker 4: Not being realistic.
Speaker 1: I leave in my waiters and I am out in my skiff in my waiters, which many people would think is not smart because when you go overboard, if you hit something. And we were hanging out with the kid last night that recently went overboard. He had a full survival suit on, so a full Mustang suit. I'll think about getting me one of them full Mustang suits.
Speaker 6: You should do it, man. This me being up here for the first time. It's striking to me. I think you guys are desensitized to it. But how dangerous that, sir?
Speaker 4: Oh it is.
Speaker 1: I was talking to an uber driver in catch Can one time and he was coastguard and we got to talking and he had over his career, he's kind of retired and started driving. Over his career, he had been to many distress calls and many bodies. One that shook him up one time is the guy had tied himself to his skiff, tied himself to the flipped over, tied himself to a capsized skiff, and he felt.
Speaker 4: It was obviously so that his body would be recovered.
Speaker 1: Another time, he talked about two people had made it to the beach and were dead leaning on a tree in the winter.
Speaker 6: What one of the first days we were out and some of the bigger water, we were probably a half mile from shore, maybe closer than that. And I said, Steve, we have a wreck right now, and go in the water. Can I make it to that shore swimming? And he was like, no, probably not. And it was kind of arising to me because you feel like adrenaline.
Speaker 4: The current is so strong, dude.
Speaker 6: And you'd and you'd make it, but the water's so cold you'd just lock up before you got there.
Speaker 1: When we were diving scallop, just to give you sense of the current. So when we were diving scallops the other day, I had a spot that I was diving down to that I was marking because it was about it was like at a two o'clock position, about twenty five yards off the bottle of the boat, the boats anchored thirty feet of water. I would dive down, hit the bottom and then ride the current, looking so it's an eighteen foot skiff. I'm twenty five yards up in a one minute dive. When I pop up, I'm back of the stern. Really weep.
Speaker 6: You could have swum, you could have swam against the fins. Yeah, but where you're talking about that shoreline, you're talking about the current runs parallel to that short line. It just takes you down theh So you would have a hard time getting on an incoming tide to be a lot better than an outgoing tide.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying, yeah, like likely likely not in fifty degree water. I've got a little bit once we get first without a survival colt. But we you know, we used survival colts. But the kids were talking about he hit a he hit a it's crazy, he hit a tree caught this. No, he had a tree that had snapped off on top and the tree was oriented vertically in the water, root wad and everything. Wow, And the end of the tree was was bobbing up and down at the surface. The tree was standing upright in the water. Huh, So you would have seen nothing. No, gashed a hole in his thing. He was able to swim to the beach his march, but it was like a warm sunny day. He gashed a hole in his boat, had a full on, full survival suit, made it to the beach, walked up to Loggin Road. I wouldn't have known what a Mustang suit was.
Speaker 6: So these survival coats are basically it's like a jacket with a zipper and pockets, but it's a it's a flotation device.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mustang is like the maker. It's a brand. Yeah, Mustang is a leading maker of survival coats. Yeah, there are other brands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And it floats you in, insulates you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Picture of life jacket with a with sleeves.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Hey, when we get when we get more, I don't want to give away the bear stuff.
Speaker 1: Full of a current.
Speaker 6: I've got a current thing about the about being having a sense of being pulled out.
Speaker 1: Oh so point being before I was before I got distracted there. What I was getting at was it's dangerous riding around a skiffing your waiters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just bear it a mine.
Speaker 1: Where are you're maybe put your Mustang colde on so you counteract, Wait, just your legs and fall off.
Speaker 4: Uh so.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so good for like it's just a great way to cause you. You don't have to think about where you're getting out. You can't shoot from a boat. I remember one time we lost the bear. The bear was going on the beach and went up in the timber. We pulled up and my buddy Ryannie. We pulled up and I'm like, well, I'm gonna wail on a predator call. And I started wailing on that predator call. And that bear looked like I was going to get in the boat with us when he come back out of the timber. But we're pull pulled up on a steep thing, and I said, you can't shoot from a boat.
Speaker 4: So I was like, get out of the boat. Get out of the boat so he could shoot it.
Speaker 1: It's too deep. One who cares? But two had you had waiters on, whoop, let's jump right in. Yeah, So I like to hunt in waiters. One day, I was sitting there years ago, and I never took action on it. It's just one of those thought I had. I was looking at some bear or another and I was thinking, man, if I had my wet suit, I would just swim up to that bear. No problem in a wet suit. He would just think it was a seal coming. I mentioned this to Clay, and Clay said, I'm gonna do that with my boat. That's about the way it happened. So Clay got himself a seven mil wet suit, five mil with a one liner. Is that what you did? Yeah, Our friends over at rob Allen made him a suit. Did you do the custom measurements? Yeah, forty two measurements. Man, it gets real personal.
Speaker 6: That she measurements of every circumference.
Speaker 1: On my body.
Speaker 3: I did the same thing.
Speaker 1: So got a five mil suit with a one mill liner, and bought a little teeny pool toy boogie board.
Speaker 6: I hate it, like a like a thirty inch very cheap fore and made, you know, a little boogie board from some box store, you know, And it had all the beach colors on top, and it was kind of like a scaly black on the bottom. And I spray painted a little camo on top because that's what my bow floated on. So I drilled two holes up through the it was just dirofoam and put a piece of hay string through the holes and I would do just like a little slip knot over the handle of the bow to sinch it down.
Speaker 1: I feel you should have gone bellcross trap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it probably would have been better, Probably would have been better painted a seal's face on the front. Yeah, yeah, we're seeing a lot of seals up here. Hey, can I can I describe the land features of why this is significant?
Speaker 4: Oh? Why it matters?
Speaker 6: I mean because I don't think it would be. It wasn't evident to me here in you tell why this would be effective. It was actually more effective than I thought it would be. I was envisioning a lot of like long straight shorelines. Yeah, that's what you think when you think shorelines, But this is not that this. There are uncountable islands and just much variation.
Speaker 4: And in the swim around to a little day island.
Speaker 3: Hop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we watched multiple bears swim.
Speaker 7: And there aren't too many. There aren't too many big flats on the on the coastline. I mean, there's some grass flats tucked away here.
Speaker 1: And let me get let me go, let me give another little detail. Got two kinds of black bears. You got black bears eating beech ry, eating grass grass. You got black bears eating muscles and crabs on a low tide, you know, and the and the and like the waiter strategy is good for either. But we're talking about we're talking about bears that are in the rocks.
Speaker 6: So the first day that I was here, we weren't quite ready to commit. Randall was hunting and that y'all had an incredible hunt, and I was in my waiters.
Speaker 1: Randall kills a.
Speaker 6: Bear, and we can talk about that later. I got in and we saw another bear. Well, we already had Randall's bear in the boat. And I'm wearing waiters and I stalk a bear and I'm bow hunting. I stalk a bear along the edge, along the edge, trying to go to a bear, and everything was good until I got to a big rock that jetted out into the water where it was real deep out on the edge of the rock, and so I couldn't get around it with my waiters without you know, getting way over them. And so the waiters are good to a point, like most of the time a waiter would get you. And the thing about and this is if you're trying to get within bow range of these bears, you're not walking on soft ground.
Speaker 1: You're walking on rocks.
Speaker 4: And it's loud in barnacles.
Speaker 6: Barnacles muscles very loud. So if you have waiters or in you know, a wetsuit. The water is silent. There was a bear the first day. That bear was feeding on muscles and I was in the water with my waiters.
Speaker 1: Can I interject from here, because it is the detail on express It's a steep bank and trees will fall over and will fall into the ocean and muscles blue muscles, which I'll point out as a circumpolar species, meaning there's a band of latitude. There's a latitude band and that the blue muscle, same species occurs all the way around the globe. So when you go into a restaurant and order muscles, that's what we're talking about. But they they attached to pretty much anything. There's a tree that fell over into the ocean and its limbs over the years have become seeded with muscles. At high tide. At high tide the tide goes out, we watch a bear come under the tree and it's like he's pulling apples out of a tree, but he's feeding on muscles over his head, draped off tree limbs. Very cool.
Speaker 4: Two different times Randall's bear was doing that when we hit the beach, two different times.
Speaker 1: Very These these bears are crunching these muscles.
Speaker 6: Muscles, Yeah, they're they're like crunching them like acorns.
Speaker 7: And they'll just sit down acres acrens.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good show.
Speaker 5: They'll hunker down, just the lay on the beach and just eat all the muscles around them.
Speaker 1: So, okay, I got a quick question about the South. Seems relevant, totally unrelevant. I just noticed in the South, you guys get two syllables out of the word hen.
Speaker 4: Hen him.
Speaker 1: They get two syllables out on a bunch of bears.
Speaker 6: Hen. I don't know if I do that or not. Some people do now, Ben, Ben and Ben.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never mind the bears.
Speaker 6: So the bears are feeding on these rocky outcroppings, and there's a lot of little channels, and we decided with the wet suit, you would be uninhibited in the water. And we felt like that you we one thing that we thought.
Speaker 1: I got to come clean about. To go on though, Well, go ahead. My case scenario had a lot to do with rifle hunting, in that you can't shoot from a boat, and the big boys don't like the sound of motors. They learn what a motor sounds like, they don't like it. Of course, there's a point at which you bear don't want to hear outboard. My you use case scenario was different than yours. Mine was how to extremely quietly get to a point or island or whatever. How to extremely quietly get to something where you could shoot from a ways off. I wasn't picturing ass getting in there and shaking hands with them like you were doing. Oh really, what you thought I was going to get to the land? Stop?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, My original concept was wasn't shaking hands with them. My original thing was just getting You could just slip out of your boat instead of trying to beat your boat, right, you could anchor and just slip out of your boat. Yeah, yeah, right. And it wasn't like like following them in.
Speaker 4: A wetsuit like you were doing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wasn't thinking about that so much as I was thinking, like, man, if I could get to that little point, all, yeah, do that is, wait for him to get clear one hundred yards, two hundred yards whatever the hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It wasn't quite like how you put it to use, like you were putting the use like up close and personal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but go on.
Speaker 6: Well, it ended up being incredibly effective, and the wet suit thing was kind of interesting for me. This first time I've had a wet suit and put it on, and I was uncertain how cold this water would be, how difficult it would be.
Speaker 1: The first time you.
Speaker 3: Put that wetsuit on, you had a slight panic.
Speaker 6: Oh, man, no doubt I did. I got this wet suit and I was sent this lubrication, which was a powdered lubrication, and I thought I didn't read the instructions on it. I thought it was like talcum powder. Like, Okay, you put this wetsuit on with.
Speaker 1: This dry how would you not? It was dumb, man. There's no excuse a thing I'd find Like you're here, we go just at it seems like you're just ambivalence to directions. I'm guilty. I'm guilty, man, I'm guilty. I'm just the fact you'd get a powder you've never seen before and put it on your body. How do you use it?
Speaker 4: What it is?
Speaker 1: Well, Clay gets a prescription from the drug store. He probably takes the paper and just throws it out. Don't tell me how to take this medicine out. I'm guilty. I'm jake this medicine. How I please and when I please? And so I'm putting this wetsuit.
Speaker 6: On and I get it over my head and I'm like, man, this is hard. And I finally get both my arms in it and I got my head is choking me to death, and I literally start to have a panic attack because I can't get it off, and I call my wife and I'm like, I'm like pulling it out for my neck, and I say, when I go down like trying to get under it, just pull it off my back as hard as I was, literally like my heart was pounded.
Speaker 1: She thought I was going to pass out.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: It was bad, and I was slightly and I didn't have time to it was like the day before we came, you know, and so I didn't put it on until the first day. And actually that first day when it was choking up on me, even while we were in the boat, I was it made me like physically nervous having that thing on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you kind of brought you back to you, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I was like pulling it down and I actually was like, man, I wonder if I can do this or not. And then finally, after a while, you just get used to it. The wet suit was an incredible way to get get close to these bears. And we had multiple wet suit stalks. So what happens is you see a bear from a long ways away and then you bowte in and get to a place where they can't see you, get out of the boat, and then and me and dirt. Dirt was when they people would be able to see this.
Speaker 1: At some point.
Speaker 6: He was filling with an underwater camera and a GoPro and some stuff, and we would we would swim, usually staying close to the shore and try to come in down wind to the bear, which we thought that being under almost underwater would would cover our sin.
Speaker 1: We had bears smell us if you did mask and snorkel not gonna smell you, but don't smell your breath. That's I mean, that's all they were smelling anyway. And you put some tic TACs down that snorkel.
Speaker 4: Bears love tic tacks.
Speaker 1: No, So I mean, do you want me to tell when we finally killed the bear?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: I feel like I want to add more color in here, but no, no, let's go.
Speaker 3: I thought that when when I first heard you were going to have a wet suit, a boogie board with your bow on it in salt water. You've never been in a wet suit. You're from Arkansas. I was like, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Seth had the best observation. We were talking about I'm wrong how bears comprehend stuff, and he said, the last thing they'll be thinking, is it some hillbilly mark. That is the last thing.
Speaker 6: They're like, maybe some yuppie from California not thinking this. Yes, there were a lot of There were a lot of variables, the worst cases of California.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of variables.
Speaker 6: But these bears, I knew from Steve's observations of being in the water with him that they were gonna be pretty much oblivious to things coming from the water. And that's like deep biology, that there's just not danger on the water. They hear a sound on the shore, they hear a rock pop on the shore, they're gonna be gone. They're going to be alert. But from the water, we knew that they weren't going to be that alert. And there literally are seals swimming around all over the place, and here we are in these black wet suits, camo wetsuits, you know, with stuff pulled up over our head. We look like seals. But you guys needed to do I think that.
Speaker 1: Like a little face paint, oh, might have made a big difference. It is because the white face comes very pronounced, a little grease on your face. You might even look like totally you might have got it. We we I tell you. I saw where a black bear killed a seal here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they when the salmon are in. This is quite a ways out from here, but when the salmon are in, the seals will go right up in the creeks. And my theory is some bear standing there sleeping in the grass whatever. And also it's like, you gotta be kidding me, that's a seal and he had skinned that seal. It was just the seals hide. Wow, he emptied it out like a sack.
Speaker 3: Didn't like dine.
Speaker 6: I was envisioning a bear like trying to get in the water. You know, you think of all the scenarios. I just felt like you could get away from a bear in the water. I don't think they're that agile in the water.
Speaker 4: They don't hesitate to swim. Man.
Speaker 6: Two different times when we were out in a channel, we were in this like cluster of islands and two kind of peninsulas that came together, and so there's like a braid of channels. Two different times we were in the water with a bear that was swimming across the channel. You know, a couple, you know, two hundred yards from us, but they looked like a beaver from water level. Looked like a beaver going across the water, and then it'd get out and it'd be this bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no, So.
Speaker 6: When we finally I think we've covered all the bases here of why we were doing it.
Speaker 1: Scent sound getting close.
Speaker 6: I mean I had shots at thirty and forty yards all day stalking on the land, and that's a good shot. I mean, a guy that's pretty decent with the bow can take that shot. But I've also bow hundred enough to know that thirty plus yards with a bow on any animal, maybe other than an elk that has a kills on the size of a beach ball, there's just a lot that can happen, and I.
Speaker 1: Like to get inside. I want to be I wanted to be twenty yards.
Speaker 3: From a bear. I think it's important to note here you want to put a kill shot on those things because if they go up into that thick, wet, nasty stuff.
Speaker 1: It is the worst stuff in the world to try to blood trail on. Yeah, it's just moss. Moss, not like a forest floor of like fallen leaves.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's it's heavily vegetated moss that doesn't show blood good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And depending on where the tide's at, they have like ten yards and then they're just disappeared.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, So I didn't want to take a marginal shot. I had some shots at other bears at forty ish without the wet suit, and I didn't. I just was like, man, I don't want to take it. And h and again I can hit a target all day at forty. But the here's my tide, my tide story. I don't even think I told you this. Dirt and I were on a small island with a channel that at low tide was probably forty yards wide.
Speaker 1: To get to the main part of land.
Speaker 6: And we see this bear like two hundred yards away on the shore from our island, and we're gonna swim this channel, this forty yard channel as the tide's coming out, it's starting to get low tide, and the wind's blowing pretty good, and we don't have flippers on because we've decided that we want to be more mote. We've got crocs over the feet of our wet suit and no snorkel, no goggles or anything, and I'm pulling the.
Speaker 4: Boogie board and.
Speaker 6: We dive off this kind of like deep front, like there's not a bottom, like you pretty much just jump off the edge of a rock almost into water you can't touch in and man, I got about four you know, just doggy paddle strokes out there, and it kind of starts taking you like out to sea.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what it felt like.
Speaker 6: It really wasn't that dramatic, But to me, I was very cognizant that I am not going in the direction I'm swimming, and I thought, dang, this isn't gonna be cool.
Speaker 3: But it's like a full on river basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But by the time that little section was short though, it was like ten yards. And then once I got out in the middle, it kind of calmed down and I could actually swim the direction I was wanting to go, but the bear was two hundred yards away around the corner. We get out into the middle of the channel dirt and I are just like floating, just like bobbing, and here comes the bear. We didn't know it was going to come our way. It comes around the corner and we're in clear view of this bear on the shore and it never even looks at us.
Speaker 1: So why you need a snorkel mask though too.
Speaker 6: The wind's good though, and but now we float down and just kind of slow swim watching the bear. I mean, it's like within bow range of us now, and there's just it was a perfect scenario because there was a rock about half as big as a car that was right on the edge. I get in behind that rock and I didn't even have my release on yet. Untie the bow, Untie the haystring, put my put my release on, and the bear was so close. I didn't even use my rangefinder. I didn't take it. I had a rangefinder clipped onto the hay string. And man, if there's ever a Vortex commercial, it's this.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: I was using the Vortex rangefinder that more than once. I saw it bobbing from the end of that boogie board down in the salt water.
Speaker 1: It looked like a halibit jig bouncing.
Speaker 3: Hanging off that bailer twine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I mean, and I would scoop it up and I would range to see.
Speaker 1: If it still works.
Speaker 6: She still works, and I just put it back on that boogie board and I'm serious it works today. I checked it last night before I put it up, like, yeah, she works. And anyway, I didn't even take the range finder, got the bow and then we ducked back into the water to about chest deep water. It kind of bent down and just started going towards the bear, and the bear was kind of in a cluster of rocks. I estimated I was twelve yards from the bear and I stood up and all I had to do was being water deep enough so that a full drawed my bottom cam didn't slap the water, you know, yep. So I I just stood up and the winds in my face. The bear never sees us, and I'm in you know, about five deep waste deep water and shoot the bear. Get a great shot the bear. You'll see it on the video. The bear jumps like a marlin coming out of the water.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 6: The entry hole was on the was on the right side of the bear, and the bear spun so fast that I watched the arrow exit.
Speaker 1: Like almost towards me.
Speaker 6: And then the bear runs maximum of fifteen yards and rolls down to the edge of the water, and it wasn't a big bear. It was just you know, it was just a bear that did it, did things right. I really feel like you could probably target a big bear and do good if you if I just wanted like proof of concept, and.
Speaker 4: There Randall got a big old boar.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah he did.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is Steve's idea one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Well I had.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm mostly joking. I mean I I my idea up to the point that I never did.
Speaker 6: It well, But I told, I told, it's more like, you know what a fella could do. This is it was a It was a perfect merger because I would have never had even the thought cross my mind because I didn't have the spear fishing tool skill set, Like I would have never gone out on my own and got a wet suit and drew a pow tag.
Speaker 7: You never dreamed of getting in that water.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wouldn't have known that you could have gotten that water and not been eaten by a killer whale like I. But so your your confidence in the wet suit, and and then just me loving bear hunting and just wanting to do something different.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like a perfect merger well, hunting c cucumbers in wet suits. You know, you're working all the edges, and you know, I mean, so you learn just how nicely you can get along and how like you know, just how you're not thinking about stealth, but just how unbelievably stealthy it is.
Speaker 4: It is just to be down in the water working along the edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know if a past experience, the way in which uh, stuff floating just isn't as of a high concern. They're they're just not quiet. Stuff floating is not as alarming to them as is other stuff. Now I say that, and just to really quickly touch on it, we we spooked Randalls bear.
Speaker 4: Uh approaching it. No motor running, yep, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It was fid we got it was wide open and it was only one what did I say, it was one ninety It spooked one hundred ninety.
Speaker 7: Yards, Yeah, something like that, and we were in the canoe paddling.
Speaker 1: Towards it, and at that point I knew we desperately wanted to get it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we we we spotted him from the skiff out in the middle of the channel, and we're curious enough to want to get a better look at him, and ye.
Speaker 1: See, I can't tell what I'm looking at tom close. Yeah, well, and he was tough.
Speaker 7: When we got about halfway from the skiff to the to the shore, and he was he had kind of moved so he was sitting on his haunches and looked up at us, and it was like, right, then, that's a bear that we're really sit in.
Speaker 4: I was looking at one.
Speaker 1: Well, I was looking at one one time, and I'm still like looking at it, trying to assess. And it was enough that I wanted to look at it more. But I hadn't said shoot in a friend of mine shot and it wasn't a big one.
Speaker 4: He got mad at me.
Speaker 1: But I was like, I never said shoot, I'm still looking.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, when they're going off about deaf and meeks, that wasn't prepared for it. But it's like, yeah, I gotta look at him well, and we I mean I got to look at him.
Speaker 4: From a couple hundred yards away as well.
Speaker 7: Like you know, the first night for a while we saw three.
Speaker 4: That all.
Speaker 7: You know, each one of those I couldn't have said one way or the other.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're in a boat moving around yeah, you're.
Speaker 7: I mean, even even with your binoculars up, you know, it's so hard to get a clear picture of him. And they're moving until they sit down. And they all look pretty big when they're sitting there, squatted over eating muscles, you know, just because of the way that their body arranges itself. But when that one, he kind of turned his head and looked straight at us, and.
Speaker 1: Then I can see the configuration of its.
Speaker 7: Ear, its ears stickings. I was, I turned around the canoe and we're both nodding at each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like one And people say, this isn't that. I don't around here, I don't around here. I find this to be true. Ears off to the side of the head, the ears that looks small, peeled off to the side of the head is a big bear. Yeah, yous look pointy on top of the head is not.
Speaker 6: And let me I gotta say what I want to say something about that, because that's the thing that people in general say about bears across North America. It's the ears. And you're one hundred percent right. I mean here and in a lot of places that is one hundred percent true. But where I hunt in in the South, in Arkansas, and Oklahoma. The biggest bear I've ever killed my life had five inches of ear sticking off the top of his head.
Speaker 1: I mean straight off the top. I mean, it's just a difference. I don't Yeah, I'm not saying it's always true. But if all the things people are looking for, of all the things you're looking at, it winds up being, uh, it's an easy one. And then the other thing is like that little triangle. Like if you go make a lot, make a triangle where the top what do you call the parts of a triangle? The top line of the triangle is a line from base the ear to base the ear, and then the point of that triangle is the end of its nose. You want where it's not pizza shaped. If that triangle is pizza shaped, it's small. If that triangle winds up being what's kind of over all the parts and sides equilateral, all the sides are the same. If it's that kind of triangle, it's probably big. Yeah, that's that's a good Anyways, he looked at us, and I was like, god dah when he got it and ran off. But one in I don't know what percent we got out to the beach, Randall had the Phelps predator called the fahn, and we talked about that Phelps call that one. This is president.
Speaker 6: He's got several. He's got a he's got a cub in distress.
Speaker 4: Call.
Speaker 1: That's the one.
Speaker 6: I have predator cub distress. Yeah, and then maybe a fawn jack.
Speaker 1: I think, no, no, once you have the cub distress, I think it's the fawn.
Speaker 4: The fawn. Yeah, either way. One in Well, let me tell the story.
Speaker 1: One time I was looking at a black brown and grass flat and it vanished somewhere out in the grass flat, or I thought went in the way.
Speaker 4: I couldn't find it.
Speaker 1: I knew it was on a grass flat. I get to the grass flat, bears not there. I guess set up where I got a good commanding view, and I start weighling on the fawn distress. To my surprise, out of the woods comes a black tail dough out of the chimber across. He comes across the whole grass flat, gets up to me, stomping, mad blowing, all pissed off, and goes back and I'm like, well, that amount of ruckus absolutely would have lured the bear in if he was here. I stand up and move forward. And that thing is right in front of me, still feeding on grass, and a little cut didn't care me blowing that call, the dope coming out of the woods, running around all pissed off, and that bear never stopped feeding on grass. That's how little it cared. And then the next one will try to get in the boat with you. Yeah, I think it's like one in ten, two and ten.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not one and two.
Speaker 4: No, it ain't one and three. No, well at it ain't one.
Speaker 1: It's like some number really care yea, and some number don't care.
Speaker 7: And at that point we couldn't see the bear. We didn't have anything to lose.
Speaker 4: And it's smoked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he smooked it visually, not smell had the window.
Speaker 7: No, he was looking over he kept glancing back over his shoulders. Sam a couple quick steps up and just disappeared into the trees.
Speaker 3: And and meanwhile we got some folks in the boats watching all of this, myself, Clay, Sam, who else, Chris or something or no, you guys are. But I was like, there, I saw the bear spook and I even said, I was like, that thing's not coming back. Little did I know, little did I know you guys had that call.
Speaker 6: It was awesome from our v We were quarter mile away, basically out in the middle of this this inlet, and I got my glass up and I think it's a done deal, and you are about to come.
Speaker 1: Back, and I hear the squall and I'm like, oh, they're predatorcaling.
Speaker 6: And man, that bear was. We could see this whole cross section of this thing shoreline, you know, y'all bank the short line, and where the bear went in the woods.
Speaker 1: And he went in the woods.
Speaker 6: Probably twenty five thirty yards and probably was just sitting there because very quickly after you started blowing, I saw black moving through the woods, coming towards you.
Speaker 7: And the bow of our canoe was tucked up against this hump of rock. So I got out of the canoe and I'm kind of sitting there holding it. Steve's in the canoe blowing on the call, and I'm I've got like one foot on shore and one in the water, just kind of crouched down looking down the beach, waiting to see this thing pop out of the trees, and uh, little you know, and all of a sudden, I'm sitting there and I can hear Steve get excited, and I hear him saying down the beach, down the beach. In reality, he's saying in your face, in your face, which.
Speaker 1: Isn't that much more discripsive was looking at his twelve o'clock down the beach, and at is nine o'clock there's a bear like standing there ere.
Speaker 7: It was just out of my peripheral and I'm I'm kind of between the canoe and this hump of rock, and so Steve has another twelve feet or so of or ten feet of perspective on the whole thing, and I'm looking down and I don't see the bear. I bring up my binoculars quick. I put him down, and I look over my shoulder over my right shoulder to see where Steve's looking at. And I look over my right shoulder and I see his head craned left, and so I spin around, and I mean, I could not see that thing until I turned and have my chin over my left shoulder.
Speaker 3: And this spaar is on top of you.
Speaker 7: It's yeah, he's sitting right, I mean he's sitting over me.
Speaker 4: Probably, Yeah, he's he's like ten feet above you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like.
Speaker 7: Ten feet above me, just peering over the rock. He's got this real you know, I can see from his chest from his chest up, he's looking over the rock. And uh, it happened real quick, but I got this. I saw him for you know, a second or two for it to register, and and that was like the limits of his patients with this whole scenario. So he hops back off the rock, and he turns and takes a step to the right, and then he zags back to the left. And at that point I shot him.
Speaker 6: I thought it was key, like when he was running away, you were calling and he made him stop.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and he didn't go. Yeah, he paused for just a second. I mean he didn't. It's not like he turned around and was just you know, him his way.
Speaker 1: When he ran out there another fifteen yards.
Speaker 7: He yeah, he paused and turned around and stopped. And that's when I shot him. And uh saw him kind of over the next rock, and I followed him around and he was just laying there.
Speaker 3: That was fun to watch from a boat.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was stressful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We were just like, why isn't he shooting? It looked like the bear was like an inch from you.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I mean he was he was.
Speaker 4: It felt like he was an inch from us. I was.
Speaker 7: I was like at that point, it wasn't like he was, you know, in front of us. I was between him and the boat. I was between him and the canoe. He came out.
Speaker 1: He popped out like right over our shoulders.
Speaker 5: He was close enough where I was zoomed into two hundred mills on my on my lens, and I like same thing. I was looking down the beach and all of a sudden, like I looked to my left and he's like right there, and like paying the camera over quick and could not find him in the view finder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just because he was so close. I was too zoomed in, said.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be the bearer of bad news. But there was about a three four inch warpneck connor tip.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'll.
Speaker 4: Sitting here the other night looking at that.
Speaker 1: That's probably high on his priority list.
Speaker 4: There's Yeah, there's a long list.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll be able to at some point or not. You'll you'll be able to see all this we got, we got, we got good.
Speaker 4: It would be good. It'll be a good video.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be a good Oh, it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be a good show, good episode, anything else, We're gonna wrap it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, plans coming in here.
Speaker 1: Tell them to listen to my Davy Crockett series on Bear Grease. Uh yeah, go ahead, that's it.
Speaker 6: He's not a Davy Crockett fan. We've got a great series on Davy Crockett. You go, you learn a lot about David Crockett.
Speaker 1: But first listen to Clays. But if you if you don't mind, first listening to Clay's thing about the education Little Tree. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: We did a series on Asa Carter and the education a book called Education of a Little Tree. Lots of twists and turns, dark twist and turn dark twisting turns.
Speaker 1: And then if you still into it, listen to Crockett. Yeah, Crockett, whatever, Crockett. I'm glad that you included why he didn't like Taters. Oh it's in there, because that is the most harrowing Tater story that about turned me off to Taters.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, do you want to tell it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, oh yeah, it is age.
Speaker 6: I would imagine that this audio series, aside from a just listening to a book on tape about Crockett, would probably be the most comprehensive podcast series on Crockett.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's gonna be four parts. Did you include how he was born on a mountaintop in Tennessee, Green Ed State and Land of the Free?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we talk about it. We talk about how it's not true you've been duped, Seth.
Speaker 4: Disney's been lying to your old damn life.
Speaker 1: Seth. Well, I'm glad that you set the record straight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot of myth around a little Crockett and Boone too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well go listen and get get the truth. That's all.
Speaker 1: Get tune in the Crockett. And while while you're while you're tuning in the crocket, Uh, go order Catch Carefish Count Stars, new kids activity book put out by US. I think you're gonna love it. Order it now, Chips in June.
Speaker 4: Tell it is June. Order it O.
Speaker 9: Rid on on the sealed gray shine like silver in the sun, right right on alone, sweetheart.
Speaker 10: We done beat this dawn, of course, today taking a new drive, unbeat this damned horsiday. So take a new one and ride on.
Speaker 7: M HM.