Speaker 1: We are back for episode five of the next pro just literal weeks away from the start of season thirty five of Dancing with the Stars, I already feel the buzz building, rumors freely flying online about who will be participating val Do you look for any of this online chatter or do you completely avoid it?
Speaker 2: About next bro?
Speaker 3: No, about dance season thirty five of Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Dancing with the Stars, I am outside of the chatter.
Speaker 3: You don't love, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not a good recipient of gossip, okay, Like I don't reciprocate, you know. I like to gossip for the like the social equity that you have. Right You're like, yo, did you know? And I'm like cool, And then they're like, well that was underwhelming. I'm not wasting my secrets on this dude, you know. So they go somewhere else. It does intersect me, obviously, because I'm not completely ignorant. I do want to participate, you know. I think that's me walking the line is like I don't want to be this high brow like I'm above this. I want to participate, but I want to participate it in an order, like a real authentic way. You know what I'm not supposed to know. I'm not supposed to know, and I don't want to know, you know, Like right now is when it's like, oh, I heard this one, got this one. I heard this one's doing the show. They're definitely going to pair up this one with this one, and I'm just not interested in that because I know for a fact that they change things around last second, like literally last second until you see each other in the room. I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, And so the speculation, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a it's a waste of my energy, right because I started building things in my mind. Oh okay, cool, Oh we could do this and then it flip. So I'd rather, like I said, I'd just rather be genuinely surprised when I mean my partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah then yeah, Well you and I did some interviews together at the Dancing with the Stars Con, but we did not check in again with our listeners once it began. Now that it is in the books, it's done, the first ever Dancing with the Stars con. What did you think of the first annual event?
Speaker 2: I thought it was massive. I thought it was like larger than life. Moments you know. I mean, obviously I'm a big sports fan. Having in an arena we had the Glitter Games on Friday, when we entered the arena with the co two like oh yeah, it just fell and having kind of maybe not three sixty but eighty five. I mean, you know, I never passed geometry, but whatever. Just having a crowd around us was epic. And then everything else is like the things that I love to do in the dance space just you know, magnified, right, I love to teach. So I got to teach an arena full of dance. You know people, everybody was up in their seats dancing. Like my little half an hour group class was probably my favorite part of the weekend.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: We had the Phaedra Parks Assist thing. It was just again to me, a social dance class. Now again, when I teach like serious dance classes, that's different. But again I'm trying to build something where it's accessible to as many people as possible. And a lot of times dance obviously is very intimidating, So you know, I I treat it more like a like a fun line dance I teach. On the backdrop off, I get to do stand up and just you know, have fun and make jokes and people walk away feeling good. I walk away alive, full of service. You know. I feel like I've earned my keeping this life and that's it, you know, And then we keep it moving. But the pictures, the meeting, the hugging, you know, the panels, getting to share my thoughts on the thing that has occupied my life for so long, and in the best way possible. I mean, it's a dream weekend for me. Yeah, and you know, in the process again, connecting with the people, not just people, but the people in particular that have made the show success. Yes, oh yeah, it's an exchange of gratitude and it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Well, let's jump into the next pro We only have six dancers left, so we are here to recap season one, episode five. We get the highlights from last week and Robert returns to greet our remaining hopefuls and let them know they are at the competition's halfway point. It's only going to get harder from here. Our judges, Surely and Mark Ballas then enter the room. Surely's in a white frilly top. Not sure if that's important to the recap, but I did just want to mention it, because she looks fantastic, very important. I'm always looking at what she's wearing, and I like that. Every week it's something totally different. We've seen bare shoulders, fully covered shoulders. She has got incredible fashion sense.
Speaker 2: Again, there are dancers, there are dancers trying to win a show. But the star of this, this, this entire project that Shirley Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Shirley mentions she's looking for confidence, and then Mark, a Dancing with the Stars finalist eleven times, then tells them to embrace the pressure because that is what makes Diamonds such a hater.
Speaker 2: I immediately thought to myself, well, you know, we're tied for that record.
Speaker 3: They didn't even mention it. How rude tied for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently Mark and I share the most Finals appearance ever. Wow, I think I believe. So we'll fact check this.
Speaker 3: And who's done. Have you guys also done the same amount of seasons?
Speaker 2: I believe so at this point, yes, because he started earlier, but then he took a little break.
Speaker 3: A little break. Yeah, wow, you guys are neck and neck.
Speaker 2: Oh anyway, anyway, Yeah, no, it's it's it's a great episode. I think it's a it's a great challenge. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: We're introduced to this week's guest judge, twenty twenty one's Mirror Ball champ, the Emmy nominated Ferrari herself, Daniella Kara Gosh, m Now, what can you tell us about Daniella as a dancer, a partner, a competitor.
Speaker 3: She's special, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean she's been spa I know her since she was a kid. We kind of came up from the same area, Brooklyn, New York. There's just so much I have so much pride for the individual that comes from that region. I mean, obviously I'm a product that, but again I moved from Brooklyn at a young age as well, and you know, I'm a New Yorker. Obviously I love the tri said area, but those were formative years. Anyway, I know Daniella from that dance scene and before we get to the accolades and the competitive stuff. Just to see her do a contemporary piece as the highlight of who she's coming, you know, how she's showing up. That to me is such a huge accomplishment. I'm so proud of her because again, neither one of us grew up with contemporary in our vocabulary, and the fact that when she joined the show, contemporary was still not part of her vocabulary. This is something that she's grown into while doing the show right, and again, for me, that's a testament to when she joined Dancing with the Stars, she was elite, the master of her craft on a different level that everybody got to see very quickly. But the fact that she was humble enough and open enough and still hungry enough to learn other styles enough to now be an exampful to the show to the next bro I'm proud of that. I'm proud of her, and I'm proud to have the world celebrate this talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, we hear a lot, obviously about the incredible talent that comes out of Provo, Utah and Utah in general. You know, there's there's a community in Brooklyn, New York, in the greater tri State New York area that is producing some of the best ballroom land dancers that represent this country, the United States for a long time as winners, World Champions, Blackpool Champions. You know, we're proud to be Americans too. Yeah, even though we have these odd sounding names. Right, So again, she's a product of that environment, and I you know, I appreciate her in the room that I get to shining as well.
Speaker 1: It's always so nice to hear you lay praise on everyone that you know you do such a good job of it. Daniella performs to a slow rendition of Tears for Fears Everybody wants to Rule the World, and as always, it is stellar, with lots of awe inspiring lifts and a few of her biggest viral moments from past seasons. I know, it was like a cocktail of it was like valves knee walks, and then there was the walk and yeah, Robert has only three words when it's done.
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow, Wow.
Speaker 1: Daniella explains that she has learned that successful Dancing with the Stars dances have to include wow moments that can go viral and that means more votes. So this week's challenge for the theme is Wow Moments, and it'll be contemporary and we'll need to include one of three Dancing with the Star's viral moments celebrity podcaster Valschmarkowsky's knee walks, Whitney Carson's leg lift, or Daniella's very own air walk. Plus they will need to add one of their own unique viral attempts into the mix. As Shirley explains, look to find something the audience has never seen before.
Speaker 3: How hard is that?
Speaker 1: Like when we talk about music or TV or movies, a lot of what comes up is is there any anything new? Is there ever anything truly that we haven't experienced before? Or is something always you know, somewhat taken from something else? How hard is it to come up with a dance move that no one's ever seen?
Speaker 2: Uh, It's very hard.
Speaker 3: How do you guys seem to do it so easily?
Speaker 2: We don't. I just think dance moves are just you know, they're they're just the script. They're just the words. You know, these words take on different shape with every single person, you know, a different person doing them. You know, they're not the same. And so this is a hard episode for me because, you know, a wow moment? What is a wow moment? I'm a believer in the human part of this thing, right, I think people make the dance incredible, not the dance, yeah, you know, And so of course I want cool choreography. But I'm never tripping about choreography honestly, because I'll make any choreography great because I am a part of it. I'm going to be doing that choreography, even the craziest stuff, unless it's like breaking my body. You know, I will put so much soul into that it'll it'll be the greatest thing you've ever seen. Right. So that's what I believe in. And for that reason, I'm not a trickster. I'm not really a thrower or any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: But we saw you try to do a double cart wheel last year.
Speaker 2: I did, and you see how that ended. I love the spirit. But on the flip side, it's not about what I think, or what I am or what you know. I do see the value in the wow moment that is physical, acrobatic just that I think there's a psychology there that isn't about dance at all. It's just about the human psychology of like, Wow, this death, death defying feet that you see. That's not dance to me. That is just a dole acrobatic, cergus lete type of performative thing. If you're asking me as a pure dancer, and that's where I am again. For me, the wow moments have always been about the exchange between two people and the quality of everything else. That's the wow. The wow is how I how I move?
Speaker 3: But that may be for dance, but we're talking Dancing with the Stars totally, and so now we're talking votes and social I liked.
Speaker 2: This episode and it's important. I'm just not the guy for this episode. This is the episode I would have been eliminated.
Speaker 3: Really, this would have been your week. You would have been totally. I don't want to do I spoil it. How do the people know? Are they waiting till the end?
Speaker 2: I don't know waiting. I think it's a very controversial moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I did. I just got word about something.
Speaker 2: What is it.
Speaker 1: Remember at the beginning of the show, we had talked about how you and Mark were tied for being in the finals eleven times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I brought that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I did just get word that you've You've actually only only been in the finals ten times to Mark eleven, so he does have one more than you there. But but you guys are tied with ten each for top three finishes.
Speaker 2: So top three finish, top three.
Speaker 1: Finishes, you are tied with ten each. But he has made it to the finals one more time than you.
Speaker 2: Listen, because they'll squeeze him into the final just to have him in there. I mean for me, the final is top three.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see and we tied there? You tied there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is I don't want to hear.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Adele admits that this will be her first time performing at contemporary, which sounds daunting, especially when Robert remind them at the end of the episode someone will be eliminated and for some inspiration this week, Robert says he wants to take them to a place that makes him say wow every day.
Speaker 3: The cheesecake factory.
Speaker 2: Just kidding, he takes.
Speaker 1: He takes them to his family's Australia zoo. We see giraffes and zebras and Robert, who's holding a snake. The contestants are wowed while feeding a porcupine and petting a rhino cuddling with a koala. Wow, do you want to cuddle with a koala?
Speaker 2: I always have wanted.
Speaker 1: I know I've never been to Australia. Should we take to a family trip together? Because for the finale, great idea. You start the season at the finale, So that's a bad idea. The premiere of the next Dancing with a great idea. Oh I love it. Let's plan that now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we said the same thing just now, but.
Speaker 3: I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: The premiere of Stepping on Toes with the Dancing with the Stars. The next pro when that premieeres, we go and we can interview Robert to promote the season Zoo at his Zoo manifestation. I think a lot of people see Robert as a TV star, the champion of Dancing with the Stars, but his entire life has been dedicated to preserving wildlife and taking care of animals. And it's so inspiring and it's so sweet to see him in his element, even though he is trying to make comparisons to the cuddly softness of a koala with the cuddly softness of dancing TV.
Speaker 3: It is great to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robert's the rock Star is an incredible family. He's such a talent. Yes, I love that he shared a bit of himself. Yeah, it is completely random to have animals with dance moves, but I like.
Speaker 3: It was cute.
Speaker 1: They found ways the cuddly softness of this koala don't lose that softness in the dance totally. So the dancers are sent back to the ballroom. Now reinvigorated with some wow and ready to rehearse. Danielliswings by to help and they chat a little about the process. Selena says this is her wheelhouse. She feels like she has a leg up on the other dancers, so she is walking into this one with some of that confidence that Shirley was talking about. They're going to be dancing as couples, and this time the guys will select their partners, which is a flip from last week. And reminder, if more than one guy chooses the same girl, the girl will pick between the two, and then the guy must re select.
Speaker 2: That was so confusing. He just said, I was like trying to follow if the guy chooses the two girls.
Speaker 1: The girls went to the guy, and then when he had two women on his arm, he had to choose which of them, So now it's the reverse.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely getting eliminated this episode too much thinking I'm trying to figure out how to dance, Like this.
Speaker 3: Part doesn't seem that hard. Just go to a person. If two of you were with one person, someone has to choose totally.
Speaker 2: I mean I'd be chosen every time regardless.
Speaker 3: And then you'd have the hard decision.
Speaker 1: You'd have all three ladies, yeah on your arm, then you'd have to choose one.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 1: And so Alan stands with Adele, Aj and Eric stand with Selena, and no one picks Nina. And I felt like Nina was like, I'm not used to this. I am not used to this. And then, because now Selena has to choose, she picks Eric over Aj, and she immediately.
Speaker 2: This is this episode should be called karmos.
Speaker 3: She bursts into tears.
Speaker 2: I know that was that was I mean, yeah, it's tough for her.
Speaker 3: I guess it was, Yeah, very very difficult for her to make that well.
Speaker 2: At this point, also, they're spending more time in the house. I think they're now building like they're closer, they're fighting, they're making up, they're forgiving each other. Maybe they're yeah moving on and yeah they're closer friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So all right, AJ is not chosen. Selena becomes very emotional. She apologizes to Aj, who then settles with Nina, who remember has never done contemporary before, and Aj admits it is not within his comfort zone either, and then we jump right into couples rehearsals and there are two days remaining. Alan takes charge with a spinning somewhat WWE adjacent wow moment, which she h Allen Copter.
Speaker 2: It's good well.
Speaker 1: Selena and dark Horse Eric seem to be working well together with lifts and tricks, Selena's specialty. AJ and Nina have actually implemented some inspiration from Robert's Zoo I was. I mean, if we thought they weren't going to really be inspired, we were wrong because they mentioned kangaroo jumps, python squeezes, koala cuddles, and Nina mentions her past musical theater experience left field I know, and boy did it really come in handy for her totally.
Speaker 2: I think she was making sounds yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think the music well, yeah, like gasping totally. We Also another thing you don't see in the show is that they are hearing there, that they know what their music is.
Speaker 3: What their music like, the songs they're dancing to.
Speaker 2: I know, we only hear for the first time when we don't hear that the rehearsal space exactly. But on the dancing when the stars you also don't hear, but we talk about it.
Speaker 3: We talk about it. We say that I'm dancing.
Speaker 2: To this and yeah, I understand the importance of that. I hate when they make us say that.
Speaker 3: And now you realize, right, because.
Speaker 2: Like as an is, we want clarity, we want to know what they're dancing to. Yes, this week we're doing the samba ky Mi Naj's Hero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: By the way, some of it, Like when I'm watching them in rehearsal, it is very cool. Then when it when it's time for the performance and I see them do the move and you know, she gasps and.
Speaker 3: It goes along with the lyric, and I wise, oh, that's why they were doing that earlier in rehearsal. So it is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: But also I think if we knew that ahead of time, we'd see it rehearsal be like, well, that looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I missed it every rehearsal, but I saw it to the performance and I wish she didn't gasp.
Speaker 3: No, he is too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you like contemporary?
Speaker 2: I love contemporary? Do you? Yeah? Do you know what I don't like? What bad contemporary? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So would you say musical theater?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Maybe a musical maybe.
Speaker 1: Well that's what she That's what she was saying was her musical theater background is kind of the very like.
Speaker 2: So she sang falsetto and the why is it so breathy? What does that have? Listen? I think she's an amazing Latin dancer. She's not a good contemporary dancer, and neither is AJ. And that's okay, and neither am I to be fair, you know, it's hard. So that's what I'm saying, is like, that's a tough episode for them, regardless of whether they accomplish the goal or not of the wow moment. To me, anything that isn't quality is inevitably not going to be wow enough. You could fake it, you could do something, you could throw something, you could try your best. And I think they did, Sure everybody did, but they did. I'm not taking away their effort. I'm just saying it. I'm just saying something that they also know. This is not their style, and there are masters of that style for a reason. When you see them the same way, AJ gets to shine in his style, and you could really see the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, back at the house that night, the contestants are very tired and physically drained. I could see on all of them, and I who's like, I've been there. I know when that part of the season hit me, where at the end of the night.
Speaker 3: You're just like.
Speaker 1: Adele breaks down to Alan about the stress, and he reminds her to know her worth, that she is born for this. And now it is the last couple's rehearsal Day two. Daniella returns and checks out Adele and Alan. First, she suggests they refine their tricks a little more and avoid packing too much in. Daniella moves on Danina and aj and is impressed with their Koala moment. She does recommend really breaking out of their shell and not thinking about perfection. Daniella then watches Selena and Eric, who do not have their own wow moment yet, and they are clashing a little about what they want to do. Adele is also developing intense blisters on her feet. Ooh, she has never danced barefoot before. Can we talk a little about dancing barefoot? Because I hated it.
Speaker 2: I hated it too, But again, if you've if you've done contemporary all your life, that's like cake because because they just build this callous on their feet.
Speaker 3: My feet have never worked hard. There's baby feet.
Speaker 2: Well, they've worked hard in a sneaker.
Speaker 3: Correct, My sneakers work hard, not my feet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, No, there's no direct impact on the bottles.
Speaker 1: Then when I had to do my contemporaries, like, eh, there's like crumbs.
Speaker 2: In your feet, in your feet, I mean your feet whatever. My feet looked like they got spiders on them. You know, I don't want, no money needs to see that. I don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: Do you try to push off contemporary as long as you can.
Speaker 2: I love contemporary for the storytelling aspect of it, and I, you know, in the season, that's why this is so hard. I don't really you know, I sores help from my contemporaries, you know, like others source a lot of help for their ballrooms and their latins. I need. I need to confront the fact that now again depends on my partner. If it's an elementary routine, of course, I'm more than equipped to choreograph that and execute that at this point, not not in the beginning, but if I have a remarkable partner, remarkable talent, and we're just doing stuff on a high level in all the other styles like and it comes to contemporary, I owe it to her to give her that type of routine, and so I would go and I would work with somebody who's great on contemporary to teach me and help me help her create this piece. And then and then I would go into the room and teach her that piece. And you know, by that time, I know, but it's not that I can't execute it. It's just I don't speak that language naturally, you know, So I need to speak to and all of a sudden, I got to write poem, you know. So I could write the poem, but I need the words, you know, And so I would go and help, like this is what I'm thinking, this is the creative we want to tell this story. I kind of like, these are some of the things that I'm really like, I know I could do that are effective. How do we mix that up? Switch that up? You know? But I do my work to make sure that when I do come into the room, that that piece of work is worth yes, the talent in front of me and her journey on the show. So I try to really do my work for my shortcomings, you know, and make sure that my shortcomings are not reflected on my partner or her journey on the show. So yeah, what was the question again?
Speaker 1: I said, I'm dancing with the stars. Do you try to put off contemporary as long as possible?
Speaker 2: Yah? Yeah, yeah, No, I try to squeeze it somewhere in the middle where it's just like not that long over routine yet but still a very important week where again, contemporary does lend itself to more of a human exchange and a human like storytelling, right, So like I love those type of contemporaries too, Again, not for the tricks and the lifts of contemporary, but for the fact that I get to be a human touching, you know, connecting and really tell a story that I don't have to be like an intense Latin dancer for which again I love that energy too, but I'm not that energy all the time, so it allows for a softer feeling, a more delicate tone, you know. I mean again, contemporary is such a wide range, but that's again, that's that's my kind of approach to it.
Speaker 1: Aj who has been having issues opening up emotionally in dance, begins to feel the pressure and he leaves the room. He breaks down outside it and Nina comforts him. He has sacrificed so much to be there. He even moved his wedding, so he does not want to go home.
Speaker 2: But did he move his bachelor party?
Speaker 3: That's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, I think I think.
Speaker 3: He still had the bachelor definitely while he was on the show. Maybe you're starting starting rumors.
Speaker 1: And now just like that, it's show night. We are back on the dance floor and Robert reminds them of the assignment. Our judges are back now with a guest judge, Daniella, and though they are dancing as couples, they will be judged individually with one dancer going home.
Speaker 3: Why is that fair?
Speaker 1: This week only one person's going home.
Speaker 2: We're invested now, so that's I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, and I get it.
Speaker 1: It's such good TV to have double elimination, but my heart breaks for the couple last week.
Speaker 3: Who knew.
Speaker 1: Whichever one of you couples doesn't shine, you're both out. Even though this ultimately is a you know one person is going to win, and now in this case it's a couple, but it could be could be one person from two different couples who's in the bottom two.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have to be a couple.
Speaker 2: That's the part that I don't like. You feel like the bottom should be made up of all the contestants. Yeah right, not just the bottom.
Speaker 3: So last week instead of it, instead of it being a bottom couple.
Speaker 2: Okay, assess, assess the competition still regardless of these challenges. These challenges are really important, but we should be assessing them just in the totality of the talent in front of you, whereas it then narrows it down to just the two person unit.
Speaker 3: Very good point.
Speaker 1: Had they last week still done a double elimination but it wasn't based on per couple, I would have been I would have been fine with it. You're right, Yeah, that's that's my issue is that Why does it have to be based on couple? Okay, so this week, yes, and not this week? So Aj and Nina are up first. They danced to Human by Christina Perry and their wow moment, the rotating Kowala cuddle is kind of cool looking.
Speaker 2: It's very cool looking, so awesome, so beautiful song. He did a great job. Again, I have so much I give them so much props. I they did not rub me the right way on a human level, but they are working so hard and I did. He he won me over with the emotional thing he did not from the dance point, but he had this like little breakdown. He covered his eyes for too long, so I wasn't sure if he's really crying.
Speaker 1: Or just scratching his eyes for the fact, but he did you the rules to crying.
Speaker 2: Look, I just want to celebrate the fact that these two people are not contemporary dancers at all, regardless of her musical theater background. Yep. Uh. And they put together a pretty good piece.
Speaker 3: Yes, they really did.
Speaker 2: To my eyes know of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But to the to the to the viewer on Dancing with the Stars, that's a good contemporary they would be like, wow, that's a great dance. It had great wow moments. I really felt you had it, had the things.
Speaker 3: Right, so checked all the box They.
Speaker 2: Checked all the boxes. They really did. I don't want to say they didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to gloss over the fact that you said Aj won you over with his with his tears.
Speaker 2: He did. He did only because I understand the stress that he was under right in that moment. Just that because knowing that they really only had each other to choreograph in the room, that's a lot to ask from them. Yeah, you know, it's like kind of what we were talking about with Tristan when he had to choreograph a tango or yeah, or like a really competitive of Latin dance. That's a lot to ask from him. This is a lot to ask from Aj and Nina, and so I appreciate that they remember we talked about creatives and craftsmen, you know. They they crafted this routine together based on his experience. They're you know, working together passion, and then they performed it as as best as they could. And they really did throw in, like I said, to a non knowing eye, something that was really dramatic, really good. It was really good. They did check all the boxes. This would get eight or nines on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 1: Okay, we also get VAL's knee walks in there and Daniella's airwalk. Daniella dug itt Mark was impressed, especially with a trustfall move.
Speaker 2: They did and GT's everywhere just just live in life right now. Yes, knee walks, do that more?
Speaker 3: Do get more patients?
Speaker 1: Surely said she may even steal the Koala cuddle. AJ and Nina had a big showing. Next up is Alan and Adele and they perform to Elenium and Teddy Swims all that really matters. We get Danielle's airwalk and that wwe move we saw earlier the Alan copter and they did a cool caveman walk together on each other's feet.
Speaker 3: What did you think of that move?
Speaker 2: It is a move that's been done before.
Speaker 3: Okay in dance, in dance because I don't with my sons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun, it's so great. Yeah, not like that. I mean, I don't know about the interpretation.
Speaker 3: I know the man we don't do that now, No, I ssh, you try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a cool move. Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: That's what you thought.
Speaker 2: Again one more time. This is not their forte Yeah. And they did a good piecing and routine together, so again checked off the boxes. I would say slight edge over Ag and Nina only because just certain moments that were better quality, just different things. That Alan copter actually is a very effective, very strong move that was cool.
Speaker 1: It was that moment that they pointed out, and I'm glad they pointed it out where where there was a moment where he was handsless basically and she was just kind of free moving without that little slow down.
Speaker 3: You don't necessarily know that. It just looks like he was spinning and then he brings her down into his arms. But there is a moment where oh, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Because you do you build momentum, then you stop, but she keeps going and that's so cool.
Speaker 3: I do like that.
Speaker 1: Mark loved the Allan Copter and thought they were great together. He's blown away that that was Adele's first ever contemporary and he calls her a diamond and surely thinks. Adele is beyond a diamond and one of the best female dancers she has ever seen in sixty countries of Dancing with the Stars or strictly come dancing. Whoa from Shirley Ballast. That is quite a compliment.
Speaker 2: She is phenomenal. She is phenomenal. I don't know if that's the routine that showcased that, but totally I don't. I don't take that away.
Speaker 1: But knowing it's her first, that's crazy what she said she'd never done one total.
Speaker 2: I believe that. Yeah, listen again, there there's some skills that are transferable, but no, but she's such a master at dance in this other language that she can still storytell and make you know. It's like when you have to speak gibberish. You can't, but you're an excellent actor, like you can make that gibberish Like, oh yeah, you'll create a scene, is what I'm saying. Right, you just know how to perform because you're just excellent. So that that's where she's at, Like I think she's just showcasing that she's an amazing performer, amazing dancer, just on a different level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eric and Selena are last. We get our got to Be product placement as he gets his hair ready for the big moment.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: Remember everyone be bold, be you with got to be glue.
Speaker 2: Glue.
Speaker 1: They danced too, You Stole the show by Sienna Spiro. They both do their knee walks in this one. Val What did you think of this dance?
Speaker 2: I mean, the best dance of the show for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just again, the choice is the quality, the seamlessness. She obviously was the glue of Why. Here's the thing we're doing most of the support work. That's where the real like texture and quality exposes itself. Is like in the points of the feet. You know, once you're off that heel, you're speaking of caveman wall, you know you don't have that same quality I mean, these are tools. These are not just like, oh, her feet are great. No, this is a tool that you develop, and the quality of how you move that tool and work that tool depends on what you're training for, you know. So these are ballroom dancers that have really no quality outside of their heels. You take them away from those tools. It's like asking an ice skater to all of a sudden be a I don't know a sprinter like, okay, cool, I'll run as fast as I can, but I have no structural advantage. Just because I'm a world superstar in ice skating doesn't mean that I'm going to be a great let's say, skier. It's a completely different part of your body, different ask. So that's kind of like Selena has contemporary background. That's the thing. It's like, I'm rocking with you on a different a different in a different space from what I'm comfortable with. And so, okay cool, and she's looking pretty good, yes, but you put her in her space. It's like, you know, it's taking candy from a baby. It's like not even clothes. And she showcased that, and she but then Eric in return because he had a Selena and because he's also he's him, He's him totally. I'm him, He's him. He was just perfect with her back to back, two strongest dances of the season besides Alan and Adele, these two, and that's why they're choosing each other, because they obviously work really well together and they have chemistry. And there right now, to me, there that was the best dance of the night by far, And that's a wow moment to me. To me, the quality, the seamlessness, the transitions, the the fact that I got lost, you know, to me, a wow moment is also not waiting for the next acro move, you know, it's like to get lost in this moment in time between two people that are.
Speaker 3: Like sounds like what Eric was saying that sometimes the silence, sometimes the stillness, can be the whe totally.
Speaker 2: That's why I said, you know, I'm not the one to talk about this episode because I completely disagree with the result. I completely disagree with, yeah, the notion that this is what dances about. But I understand the assignment and I understand the importance of that in regards to dancing with the stars and being effective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm dancing with the stars right well, Sureley admits she's conflicted. She asks what the wow move was and Selena says, sometimes the wow is in the silence, just like you said.
Speaker 3: But Surely isn't so sure.
Speaker 1: She bickers a little with Mark, which is always fun for us to watch what a beautiful, true look into what his life was like having her as well his whole life and to see that dynamic play out is just very special because you know it's real.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she was so hard on the growing up.
Speaker 1: Surely thinks Eric needed to let himself go more. She expected more from Selena. It was good quality, but it wasn't great. Mark thought everything was quality dancing, but didn't think there was a wow moment. Daniella thought they looked like two pros out there, but again didn't think they completed the Wow challenge today and with our dances done, it is time for the results. One dancer will be leaving the show, and Mark says this was their most difficult decision yet. Shirley asks Selena and Eric whose idea it was to not have a larger than life wow moment and Eric, it really kind of bothered me here because at least the way it was edited, and I recognized that there were a lot of moments that are on the cutting room floor that we don't see. But there were many moments in this episode where Selena said, we don't have it. We don't have a wow moment. I feel like it needs to be bigger. I feel like it needs to be bolder. I feel like we need to do something really ah, And I'm feeling extra pressure because I am the contemporary dancer here.
Speaker 3: And every time he would.
Speaker 1: Say I think we've got it, the silence is the wow, We've got it, We've got it.
Speaker 3: Many times they.
Speaker 1: Had this discussion and then surely asks point blank between the two of you, which one of you was more comfortable saying we've got it?
Speaker 2: And he was not him.
Speaker 1: He was not him. So Val I found a Russian phrase okay that I think fits this moment. I'd like for you to read it for me. Okay, there's two, but I think this top one is the best. M Hold on, those are two different ones.
Speaker 2: Where did you find these?
Speaker 3: Do you like either of them?
Speaker 2: Not really, I've never heard either one of them? Or did you find these in English? And translating them? Well? The second one, this one is is lies are on spider legs? And truth is on the strong ones who wrote that.
Speaker 3: Passing and that the one not spider legs.
Speaker 1: They said cockroach legs, cockroaches and cockroaches.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So Vidyovich, this is a good one, but it has nothing to do with this moment. It says, no matter how much rope you make, the end is going to come.
Speaker 1: It says, no matter how I think it was, no matter how long the ropes are, the truth is going to come and there are consequences.
Speaker 3: It's something along like yeah, okay, well that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Definitely a metaphor. That's good.
Speaker 3: Okay, you like those.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me tell you what the fact that no matter how long the rope twists, there will be an end.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Deception or wrongdoing may continue for a while, but eventually the truth comes out.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying there? Do want to others as well. It's like so playful and youthful. Say that last one again just so people understand.
Speaker 1: Yes, no matter how long the rope twists, there will be an end, meaning the deception are wrongdoing may continue for a while, but eventually the truth comes out and there are consequences.
Speaker 2: And there are consequences in English. That's the truth. She'll set you free. You know, it's just so optimistic. Go with the truth because there is life out there. No, here's like, look, we're not promising you anything and you're going to die. Yeah, pretty much, which is But.
Speaker 3: It very much bothered me that he did not.
Speaker 2: Say, well, his whole flavor is just such a gentleman and yeah, a gentleman. No, No, that's what I'm saying. That's why, yeah, yeah, that's why. That was a one eighty moment. I also didn't understand why that.
Speaker 1: And then she didn't speak up for herself either. Then they they he said, we very much came to that decision together.
Speaker 3: And you see her kind of who.
Speaker 1: And surely goes Is that true, yes, ma'am?
Speaker 3: And I thought if she had said to be fair.
Speaker 1: Of course, at the end of the day, I allowed, I acquiesced, and I consent to to this dance. But all week, all two days, I did feel like we were missing the wow moment, and Eric felt more comfortable in the silence being the moment. I think what would have happened was Eric would have been in the bottom two and someone else would have been in the bottom two. Now, ultimately being in the bottom two and you're not the one to go home doesn't really mean anything. No, but but she wouldn't have been on the chopping block. You don't think so, I don't think so. They were trying to decide who thought they had it. And if Eric had said I thought we had our wow moment in the silence, Sureley would have said, you know, that was a tough choice. That was the wrong week to make this decision. You're in the bottom two, and then we could have seen who else they thought was the weakest link. But because they both said it's both of us, they said, well then there's our bottom two.
Speaker 2: So then look, then all happened the right way.
Speaker 3: Well, no, who I mean, you thought this was the strongest dance of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't think either one of them should have been on the bottom too. Yeah, but the challenge was clear. And again this is me feeling what I feel watching. Perhaps they felt something else, Yeah, right, you know, they weren't wowed like I was wowed. What did you think of the dance? You are not a professional dancer? Yeah yet, but what did you think?
Speaker 1: I did think it was missing? I thought I agreed that it was missing the moment that Daniella was there to show them how to do, and I see the importance of that for Dancing with the Stars as far as a dance, was it a moving contemporary dance that outside of the spectacle of Dancing with the Stars would have been a ten. Absolutely, But knowing how important virality is and special things and this being a challenge for this week, I thought they were the only couple lacking. It would not have put both of them in the bottom too. Honestly, I thought aj and Ninas was by far the weakest performance for me. I am also a hard sell for this week because I don't love contemporary.
Speaker 2: Canna ask you a question, yes, please? Were you wowed by the koala?
Speaker 3: I was not wowed by the did you?
Speaker 2: Were you wowed by the other wow moment that they had?
Speaker 1: I I am wowed by, Uh, yeah, I'm wowed.
Speaker 3: I'm wowed by the alan coopter because.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, right. It's like, yes, Eric should have been not apprehended whatever, Like there was an assignment, you didn't do it, Yeah, you chose to do something else, but the assignment is wow, Like to wow somebody not to do something that is unconventional yeah, and is supposed to be a wow moment, But.
Speaker 3: Is it yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, because because I think in the process that too was some of maybe Eric thinking it's like yo, I could attempt a wow moment and look like trash, or I could think about the bigger just the picture that I'm presenting, and you know what I'm saying, it's like, why introduce a flavor that isn't going to be executed? Not to say that maybe that that's the case, But like I said, they did these moments that were unique. But were they wow moments yeah? Or were they just unique placeholders for what's supposed to really take your breath away? Because for me, when when Eric touches Selena or helps move her and her quality and the way she know she you know, the texture of the way she moved, that to me was wow, like yo, I want to see that again. I don't want to see that again. So that's why the formality of a move that is abstract cool, you didn't do that. They did that for sure.
Speaker 1: I wonder too, how much of like Eric knowing, because we know that they don't get to see the others the other performances before shown because.
Speaker 2: They'll tell you something else. There are those like you know, those go to moves that have been done a hundred times and they continue to get the wow, but they shouldn't because they've been done a hundred times and they're not wow moments at all. Yeah, it just played out abstract pictures that we've already seen a hundred million times. I think that this also should be part of the equation because I think at some point potentially in that room, they were like, well, look, we have a limited amount of time. We're not going to reinvent the wheel right now, so let's lean in on something that we could really deliver so that it's a plus plus from beginning to the end.
Speaker 1: And Eric knew he was with the only female pro there, the only pro there who's a contemporary dancer. He knows another couple has never done contemporary before Aj and Nina, so he could be thinking totally in well within his rights to think us just delivering a beautiful contemporary is going to be wow when everyone else is going to be taking big swings with leaps And so I do see that, and I don't think it was the weakest dance of the night.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but but but like again, that's why I was, you know, my opinion on this episode as an asterisk to it because I see beyond the just the assignment, but totally understand the assignment. I think the other thing that we just they don't see each other's dances. I think had he seen what it would be relative to others, he would have been like, oh, forget that silence. It's easy, let's pick it up. We don't even gotta do it. Well, we just got to do it because these guys are doing it. Yes, And that's that's the part. And again I guess that is also important. Yeah, you know, sometimes you've got to do it for the fact that you just need to sprinkle that. From my own experience, I always run into trouble with that because I paced my routine with the with the flow that feels right for me right, and then I look at it and I'm like, it doesn't have the moment, it doesn't have that thing that everybody's the thing that good Steady came around. Everybody loses their mind, what is that thing? And then I force the thing into the routine, and then when I watch it back.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you didn't need that thing.
Speaker 2: They didn't need that thing at all. Right, that's where I'm coming from, got it, I get that the thing.
Speaker 3: So Shirley announces the final decision.
Speaker 1: With a heavy heart. Eric the dark Horse is sent home. Alan is visibly very upset. The cast says goodbye to Eric, all of them crying. Selena especially feels very hurt and she feels like she let him down since this was her specific style of dance. And then Robert gives his final words with everyone perfectly placed behind him having emotional breakdowns in the back.
Speaker 2: And it's a good show.
Speaker 3: It's a good show.
Speaker 2: Five left, It's a good show. It's a great show because it's so different from Dancing with the Stars. Yeah, it really is. I mean again, obviously they share a common thread, but.
Speaker 3: It's so different, it really is.
Speaker 2: And I don't really watch other shows or you know, a lot of reality shows actually outside of like documentaries or whatever. Right, But so I don't know the structure of all the shows. Obviously that's why they're so popular because they get you with these characters. But this show got me, like, I'm you know, it's not a format that I would watch outside of the dancing part, and I like it. It's fun. I mean it's again, it's it's fun TV. It's really good.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely at that point now where I'm like, who is it.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna like there's no obvious go homes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're okay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thank you all for joining us for this episode. We will catch you next time.