Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: It's a playoff edition of NFL Power Rankings. And yes we're going through the teams, and yes we are taking a closer look at the squads that are still alive and their hopes and dreams of winning a Super Bowl. Mike, Cam and Eric at home with you and Eric. I know we're not going to see Kansas City out on the football field or Detroit, but the Chiefs. You still got a little bit of respect for this squad despite a loss, after resting most of its starters.
Speaker 3: And look, this is those good a lineup as I think we've had in a while. Mike, Yeah, no it.
Speaker 2: Is, and let's get right to it in your rankings. No change at the top. I know Kansas City had lost, but I think this is a hat tip respect that you're giving the squad didn't play most of its starters despite the fact that they got dominated by Denver. We'll talk about the Broncos in just a moment. The Chiefs big time flex on Sunday Night Football at two, the Bills at three. At four, we got some questions about some rust for Jalen hurts. But as Eagles are sitting in that fourth position, we'll talk about filling in just a moment. The Ravens seem like they're surging at five, the Vikings group time for them at six, the Commanders at seven, and the Packers at eight. All right, the lines they move up one spot. There's a part of me that says, I not that many people were doubting them. I mean, look, they're one seat, they got a first round by and the whole thing. But I think we had questioned what we could get from this squad because of some of the injuries that they have had over the last few weeks, specifically on the defensive side. Are we finally at a point where after a win against Minnesota we just stopped doubting them.
Speaker 4: I don't know about stop doubting him, but certainly that has slowed down to a crawl at best, right, and they're going to enjoy that week off to get some of their guys healthy. They earned it, right, I mean, with a defensive performance the likes of which I don't know that we've seen this year. You know, Aaron Glenn came up huge, especially in the red zone, really flustered Sam Darnold. He was only two for eleven for seven yards passing down in that area of the field. I don't think anyone thought nine points was possible. I mean, they played pretty well a couple weeks before against the Bears, but different level of accomplishment here. You know, I thought that two sacks were really big too, and they had constant pressure all night. So this certainly answers a lot of their questions. Now they can get some of that defense healthy, maybe get David Montgomery back. We'll see on him and each game each week they go farther, you know, those questions start dissipating pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your name check Aaron Glenn, who put on a great resume tape, if you will, for a head coaching job. I know his name is popped up NFL dot com for all the latest of what's happening in terms of those searches and who's interviewing for which job. But we'll get to Minnesota here in just a second. But let's just kind of reset here. We know that Detroit has a one seed, they got a first round by we know Kansas City won't be playing this upcoming weekend. Let's take a look at the schedule here. Wild Card weekend. It's the AFC kicking things off for us. We got a doubleheader on Saturday. We'll talk about all of these squads. We got Chargers and Texans, Steelers and Ravens on Saturday. Then on Sunday it's the Broncos and Bills Philadelphia. We'll matchup against Green Bay. I remember no Christian Watson acl injury for him. Washington and Tampa a sneaky good matchup, and then on Monday it is the Vikings and the Rams that will go head to head. It's so far stadium, all right. We got the Bills, and I think there's been I don't want to say the good vibes have leveled off, but I don't know how welse to describe it. They were like the surging team. Now they get a Broncos team. There's a part of me that wonders if this is actually a good matchup for Buffalo. The way the Broncos look to close out. Maybe it's recency biased, but I'm like, all right, maybe a little tougher than I anticipated heading into this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember they beat the Buffalo at high Mark Stadium last year. I know things have changed dramatically quarterbacks and other things. Right, who was even running the offense back? That was before Joe Brady took over.
Speaker 3: But you're right, I.
Speaker 4: Think you know, as explosive as this offense is, we know, thirty touchdowns plus rushing and passing has never been done before, and they have that incredible explosive ability and balance. So that's what they got going for, no doubt. But Denver's defense is tough. We've also got the Bills defense, I think has to answer some questions. We remember the Rams game, giving up all those points to try, like to storming back to try to make it a game. You know, even their backups defending Joe Milton last week, so there's a question about depth. Even with Matt Mlano back. You know, Greg Russeau is playing well, but that secondary I think has to step up. One big thing they have going Rookie quarterbacks have not fared well against Sean McDermott. Defense is only seven touchdowns seventeen interceptions in thirteen games against him. So maybe they've got something against bon Knicks, but we'll see it. It should be a good matchup.
Speaker 2: I'd like where you're going with that stat with regard to McDermott and his defenses against rookie quarterbacks, bo Knicks doesn't feel like he's a rookie. These moments haven't been too big for him. We'll talk about the Broncos in just a moment. The Eagles a matchup against the Packers. That's Sunday, four to thirty Eastern time. I'm a little worried about Jalen Hurts, right, like the latest news that I saw in the press conference from Nick Sirianni. Like the concussion protocol, he hasn't cleared it just yet. Even if he does, we're talking about two and a half games. He hasn't played two and three quarters games. Really that he hasn't played. How much concerned do you have about the Eagles in a postseason run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there has been some murkiness over his situation or quietude. We haven't heard a lot of tangible updates. Mike garratfollow, our colleague at NFL Network, has reported he thinks he's not worried that Hurts will play, but the Russ factor you mentioned is something to consider. Right, they can be there could be some gamesman ship here about Hurts's availability and all that but he's got to get some reps in some practice and sort of get that rhythm back, because look, you miss time, you get away from things a little bit, and then that timing gets thrown off. So you know, Saquon Barkley rested, offensive line rested.
Speaker 3: Those are good.
Speaker 4: But when you've got question marks surrounding Hurts and Kenny Pickett he had his ribs looked at a couple of weeks ago, that's a little bit worrying for me. So there's also a Packers team that played in pretty tough again way back in Week one and way down in Brazil. A lot of things have changed there too, but you know, they've got some interesting questions facing them in their first playoff game.
Speaker 2: And forgive me, because I've read a million different articles on NFL dot com, I believe it was you also pointed out Tanner McKee would be sitting in that number QB two spot if assuming Jalen Hurts is ready to roll. By the way analysis on all thirty two teams on NFL dot Com, you can check out Eric's article as we go through some of these power rankings. The Ravens, Is this a hot take? They should be the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 4: Look, I think they are almost in a better position than they were last year. Not in terms of home field advantage and all that right, better record, better team all around I think last year. But still they went from having the spotlight on them all the questions about can they win it again?
Speaker 3: Ken Lamar win.
Speaker 4: His first Super Bowl. Now the spotlight's been shifted elsewhere. They're the hunters now. They're in a different role than I think they're used to. Everything that started with oh and two kind of put them behind the eight ball and losses to the Browns and Steelers, but they came back in the second matchup against Pittsburgh, looked far better. Six and three on the road, three close losses, and I love the direction of the defense.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 4: We can talk until we're blue in the face about Lamar and Derrick Henry and they're being you know, this kind of year. The magic has been there. They're made for this time a season. But the defense has really made strides. I think the last seven games they are averaging two hundred and sixty two yards per game allowed. So they don't give you much and they also take a lot from you too, so they're absolutely rolling, and you could see them as the favorites that it wouldn't be anything I'd really challenge you on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, they match up against the Steelers team. There's a part of me that says, well, division opponent, they know each other, they've already played two times. They split. I'd make an argument it should have been two zero in favor of Baltimore. Yeah, the way that that first game had played out, Pittsburgh, We're gonna dissect it here offensively, some real issues. One other note from a Baltimore perspective. You use the term murky to describe the situation around Jalen Hurts. I'd use the same term to describe as a Flowers right now dealing with that knee injury. Still his status for this game up in the air once again. Saturday, eight Eastern time. Those two teams will go head to head the Vikings. All right, take a deep breath, let's calm down. Fourteen wins, nothing to sneeze at. I know it's weird to talk about a fourteen wins squad as a fifth seed. Do they just go back and say, hey, outlier, we were in the red zone within the ten yard line multiple times, and we just didn't execute. Maybe Sam Donald wants a couple of these rows back, like that one to Justin Jefferson, We're gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: I think that's like Kevin O'Connell.
Speaker 4: I think has done this sort of equanimity thing all year, not too high, not too low, understanding the pulse.
Speaker 3: Of his locker room.
Speaker 4: And it was a hard fall from nine straight wins to to what we saw Sunday night. That said, I think what's gotten them there is that day to day and game to game consistency.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think they'll go back.
Speaker 4: They'll rep the heck out of red zone, make sure they've got that down going into La, a team they lost to this season. So you know, I just it is a little bit concerning that Donald had his worst game and the offense had its worst game of the season. Arguably anyway, maybe Cam Aker's former Rams running back could have a little lie. He gave him boost for that big long run in the second half, fifty eight yard er. Maybe he's a little more of the game plan in this one as they try to kind of balance out a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk more about the Rams coming up here, who and not to give too much away, but do sit in the twelfth spot in your rankings, Vikings the sixth spot. That game will be played Monday, once again, right across the street from our studios at SOFI Stadium. Little home field advantage for Los Angeles. The Commanders and Bucks. How different are these two teams that we've already seen matchup in Week one?
Speaker 3: Certainly the Commanders, right.
Speaker 4: You can talk about the Bucks and everything they've been through and you know, even getting displaced after Hurricane Milton, certainly, you know, sent a shockway through the entire organization, but they've picked themselves up by the bootstraps. But the Commanders, right, I mean just the design of the offense I think was still in its kind of early stages. We saw them in Week one, and there were flashes, but I don't know that Jayden Daniels was comfortably yet taking the shots and making you know, those those deep shots with his arm, taking the opportunities to run with his leg. I think the design and the playbook has sort of opened up since then a little bit. They've become this dangerous team that I think people now fear going against. It's going to be fascinating to see how he stands in this playoff atmosphere against a Bucks team that I think is, you know, sort of brimming with confidence. They've been able to pull off some wild victories too. But you're right, I think a lot has changed both offensively and defensively for both teams since then.
Speaker 2: You know, Eric, I always say that you get the toughest job in the building because ranking these teams is not as easy as everyone thinks. Because I know, for me, the recency bias is a real thing. Momentum is a real thing. You know. A couple of weeks ago, we were talking about the Green Bay Packers. I'm like, oh, world beaters out there, prime time game after primetime game, and it's win after win. Now, all of a sudden, I see a Week eighteen loss, and I know Jordan Love wasn't out there for most of that game. The league will has actually played pretty well. All of a sudden, doubts are creeping into my head, and I have a problem removing the totality of an entire season when I'm thinking about just the short term and what I've seen recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: You have to factor in recency bias, especially when it comes to injuries and things like that. Now, I suspect Jordan loves elbow will be fine. But you saw him continually trying to kind of warm up and get it loose on the sideline. So maybe it was a funny bone thing. Maybe it was something a little worse than that. But I expect them to be out there. Yeah, you're right though. I mean, even not too long ago, when they lost in Detroit by a field goal, I said, look, this is a very good football team. I know they've lost some close games to good opponents. Hang in there with me, Well, you got to keep hanging because we haven't seen the best version of the one that messed up upon against Chicago and allowed them to run it back for a touchdown. You know, Matt Lafleur had clock issues at the end of the game. You know, the offense was sort of sputtering. They lose Christian wattson. So, yeah, the questions are starting to mount for a team that not long ago I would have still put as a dark horse sort of Super Bowl contender.
Speaker 3: Right now, they've kind of got to win me back a little bit. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were running boards on NFL network. I think we even flashed it on this show. What three weeks ago, there was still a path for them to go and win the division. They needed a lot of help. That's right. You know we're sitting here like and it's kind of like limping into this, and I know you made reference to Christian Watson. There's a lot of questions on both sides of the football, not only for Green Bay but Philadelphia. I think that's a hard one to dissect for a lot of reasons. But we're just getting started here on NFL Power Rankings. Six teams we haven't talked about they're playing this weekend in the postseason. The best of the rest that's coming up next. Back here on Power Rankings, Mike Hamman, Eric at Home with You and Eric's teams nine through sixteen. The Chargers all of a sudden, that offense is rolla we'll talk about them in just a moment. At tenants, the Buccaneers figuring out ways to win. The Broncos at eleven all of a sudden look like a really dangerous team. The Rams at twelve, Steelers at thirteen, Where is this team's offense? And are the Texans at fourteen and under the radar team considering what we thought of them heading into the season. Bengals missed the postseason at fifteen and the Seahawks also on the outside looking in at sixteen. All Right, the Chargers think about this. We spent most of the year talking about this team in the playoffs, led by their defense. Last three games they've all been wins thirty four, forty and thirty four points respectively. Are they becoming a more complete team that legitimately could not only beat Houston but also advanced past them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's key for them to get their run game going if they obviously it didn't happen really Sunday and it did sort of fall on Justin Herbert to bring them back, and a key turnover kind of got them going after all those field goals, So you worry about them kind of bogging down in the red zone too much. And then again when you see big plays in the passing game to Quentin Johnston Lad McConkie.
Speaker 3: These guys have really stepped up this year.
Speaker 4: The tight ends, there's been three or four of them have really contributed so and then Herbert, he would not have done runs like this against the Raiders long run to set up a touchdown early in the season when his foot was bothering him. I think he's healthy now. That's a huge development. But where's the offensive line? Racheon Slater hurt last week, other guys depths A little question. I still have my worries heading into this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have to go on the road against the Texan squad that also kind of like Baltimore. Right in this and not comparing the two teams, I think Baltimore's path is way easier because I think the better But I just think questions around the squad and maybe can start surging late in the year. They played a bunch of games in a tight window there, including that Christmas Day matchup. Who knows, we'll see. I know they were hyped up in a meaningful way. The Buccaneers at ten, I think they are the most disrespected team in the AFC or NFC playoff picture it. They figure out ways to win. They've been a staple in that division winning it. They got year in and year out. Baker Mayfield's balling, like I just I don't know, Erica, Am I crazy to think they can make a run?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean, obviously it's a very tough first matchup, right I think a lot of people are sort of eyeballing this game as maybe the sleeper of the weekend or however you want.
Speaker 3: To call it.
Speaker 4: But you know, Mike Evans got his thousand yard season, great celebration on the field, and Baker's had a tremendous year obviously throwing the football. More trusting guys like Jalen McMillan there. You know, Kate Otten. We hope he's healthy for the playoffs and ready to go, you know, in their offensive line in good shape. Plus the Bucky Irving factor. Boy, that has sort of changed the dynamic this team as he's taken over a little bit more in the backfield, been a huge development as a fourth round rookie.
Speaker 3: He and Rashad White are a great pair. So the offensive weapons are there.
Speaker 4: Is the secondary ready to handle Washington's passing attack? Are they ready to take him on as a scrambler too? Those are my sort of biggest questions right now.
Speaker 3: Be it right?
Speaker 4: The fear factor that they bring and the fearlessness which they play, I think are going to be huge factors in this game and possibly beyond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like every time I think about the Bucks, the perception is ah like they can get beat here. It's a home playoff game for him against the Commanders. I don't know. I think I like Tampa Bay and Baker Mayfield at home. It is time for power moves moving up two spots. It's the Broncos. So at that eleventh position. I think about a Denver team and a bon Knicks player. Speaking of Washington, I know Jayden Daniels might be the front runner for offensive rookie the year. Bone Nicks has got to be right on his heels. What's a formula for a road win for Sean Payton squad?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think a great opening script getting a lead. You don't want to play from behind at Buffalo. If Buffalo gets up fourteen to nothing. And I know last year in the playoffs they had a big lead on the Steelers before they fought back. But still I think this team, if Buffalo gets up two scores, it's going to be a real tough ride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could throw the ball.
Speaker 4: Nick has been very efficient this year doing so, especially when he sort of plays within the confines of Sean Payton's great playbook.
Speaker 3: I think it works really well.
Speaker 4: Sutton's come on, you know, Veley, you know even Troy Franklin. So the other thing I think is not getting away from the run too early. They often script up great runs early in games and then kind of forget about it later on. So I think that at least some semblance of balance will help them against the Buffalo team that at times had troubles stop in the run this year. So they'll have a chance. That defense is nasty, we know all about him. They can take the ball away, they can sack you. Pressure is a big part of what they do. But I think offensively they have to be productive early in the game, avoid turnovers, sustained drives, keep Josh Allen off the field.
Speaker 2: I know, besides their respective bases, generally speaking, I think a lot of folks wanted to see Cincinnati sneak their way into the postseason and grab that wildcard spot right like they don't, and it's Denver. I don't know. A week ago I would have felt maybe with the majority, and that's see a Bengals team in the postseason. There's a part of me that says, you know what, let's see what bo Nix can do on the road. I actually like this matchup at number twelve. It is the Rams at their best, Eric, I think you can story this team getting to the Super Bowl when they are completely healthy and they are rolling, and that offense looks as good as it can play, and yet I've seen some hiccups on that side of the football. Legitimately, what is this Rams team as they match up against the Vikings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously they've got to limit the pass protection problems, especially if you know you're going up against the Brian Flores defense that loves to bring pressure, overload, blitzes. Lots of extra hats at Matthew Stafford when he's at his best, obviously he could beat the blitz And those receivers are pretty fine too.
Speaker 3: And you know, all.
Speaker 4: Both those guys and Nakua and Kyra and Williams all had very productive games against Minnesota last time, so we know they can obviously ring it up offensively. But you're right, we've seen some fits and stalls, offensive penalties, o line issues they've all kind of contributed. And again, same thing we were talking about a minute ago. The Rams sometimes will deviate and get away from their runs sometimes later in games too. I'd like to see them stick with it and be able to finish off a Vikings offense that you know Sunday night notwithstanding, can be pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: The Steelers they drop three spots, They sit at thirteenth in your rankings. It's four straight losses, and offensively they look lost. What has happened in this team?
Speaker 4: You know, George Pickens comes back and didn't get involved on Sunday. You know, certainly the blocking up front and key turnovers down the stretch from two guys you don't normally associate with a Russell Wilson and Pat Fryermouth. Both guys had crucially either drops or turnovers that have cost their team. So there's just a lack of rhythm right now. And you see Wilson having to get a quarter and a half two quarters to kind of get his feel for the game, and by that point sometimes it's too late. They put themselves in a hole. The defense is done what it can, but even in the bigger games, the Marquee matchups, the best teams they face this year, even they can't hold him on that side of the ball. So they've got a lot of worries heading into this game. And you can see it on Mike Tomlin's face and in his words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, This is not going to be a good matchup or an easy one to try to solve a Baltimore team that's surging. The Texans. We thought about them as a dark horse super Bowl team before the year started. Is there at all a chance?
Speaker 4: Well, look, they beat the Browns in Houston last year. They were underdogs at home too, and look CJ. Stroud can still bring it. I know the receivers have been hurt the offensive line, Joe Mix has been out of the lineup, but maybe they've been able to save it up and store it up for this one game. And we'll see they need it badly because all the momentum has been going the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Meanwhile, there's one team that has consistently been in your bottom five of the Power rankings for most of this season, Eric, And yet there's one of our colleagues who thinks they're going to be a playoff team next year. Who that is? And whatever he thinks that's coming up next? Back here on Power Rankings team seventeen through twenty four. What happens to the Arizona Cardinals who do move up two spots? But man, we were talking about that maybe win in the division, just a few weeks ago, they're at seventeen, the Dolphins at eighteen. A lot of questions around that squad. Atlanta was on the precipice. They're at nineteen on the outside looking in though. The Colt set twenty, the Cowboys twenty one. The Niners will finish out the regular season ranked twenty second, the Bears twenty three, and the Panthers twenty four. They move up that one spot. Cam Wolf, who's one of our great reporters. I was doing a show with him yesterday and he turned to me and he goes, hey, I think Carolina could be a playoff team next year. The way Bryce Young is playing and how this offseason looks. Is he crazy?
Speaker 3: I don't think crazy at all.
Speaker 4: You could absolutely see a path for them, provided they add a little bit more firepower offense. I'd love to see him bring out him feeling back. He's been a great mentor for that receiver room and guys like Xavier Laguette and Jalen Cocher and such. Maybe at a tight end, and when you see that no look past though from Young, you know he feels comfortable. This is Alabama version of Bryce Young that we're seeing, not the guy who looked miserable early in the year and was benched and we didn't know what his future would be.
Speaker 3: So complete one point eighty from what we've gotten.
Speaker 4: You wish it happened for guys like Anthony Richardson, But maybe that's next year. Bryce's turn is this year so far at least turning the page And yeah, I can see it. Defense needs a lot of help too, So Dan Morgan and company have to get that side of the ball right otherwise you know it's still gonna be an uphill climb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, alabamo, Bryce, Yet, I like, can I use that on a show anytime?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're right, he has that vibe. It looks like he's having fun out there when when he's playing it. And I know it hasn't always been wins down the stretch, but competitive in a ton of these ball games. Teams twenty five now through thirty two. The Saints, Oh, this is gonna be a crazy offseason for really all of these teams at twenty five, the Jets twenty six, the Jags finish at twenty seven, the Raiders and Antonio Pearson Company at twenty eight, the Patriots. They're going to be looking for a new head coach. At twenty nine, the Giants won't be looking for a new head coach. Brian Dibble and Joe Shane, their general manager, keep their jobs. At thirty one, it's the Titans and the Browns finish out the season rank thirty two. Tennessee moves up one spot. Here's the silver line. A. They get the number one pick. I don't know who's making the call on it. Ron Karthon, their general manager, just relieved of his duties. Is this all about QB one?
Speaker 4: I think the duty of whoever is hired as GM is going to be is there a quarterback worth taking it one? And the question they have to answer before that is there a veteran quarterback who could possibly step in and instantly give them credibility. On the one hand, you see Brian Callahan here. Obviously he was in Cincinnati, he was part of the Joe Burrow drafting process. Got to see it from soup to knots understands how that would work. You know, Burrow wasn't necessarily considered a classic number one pick prior to that college season, So you know they might go off the radar and take somebody who wouldn't necessarily be a traditional number one overall guy, but I think if there's a veteran option, they'll at least explore that. There's so many questions in Tennessee about defense, offense, and obviously now the front office as well. Who's going to be making those calls. We just don't know right now. They and the Browns I think have two really tough situations. That's why they were thirty first, thirty second on my list.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I was doing a show and Brian Baldinger said, hey, six seven of the top ten teams picking in the draft meet a quarterback. There's not six to seven first round quarterback arm I agreed this year free agency, there's going to be some movement this offseason. Cannot wait for this weekend's games. Eric, You're the best. I'm Mike am Thanks for watching.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.