Speaker 1: For me, making movies is a lot like magic. My favorite part is actually animating the figures and bringing them to life, and I also love painting and cutting and drawing and gluing. That's all super exciting to me. If you're lucky enough to do work that feels like play, I think that's everybody's dream. So I'm just living my dream right now. I think the best tool if you want to start its paper cutter, is curiosity. There's no one way to make a paper figure, there's no one way to make a paper film, but there's only one you.
Speaker 2: That's Julian Currie. He's a film producer and an animator, which means he uses both computers and his own hands to create the most amazing puppets and bring them to life.
Speaker 3: With his art. He teaches us.
Speaker 2: That we can go anywhere with the magic of imagination. Welcome to Growing Up the Lingo Kids podcast. It encourages kids to dream big and discover who they want to be. Join us on an epic adventure to uncover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies, and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams. In today's episode, Louise and I will play with some cool toys and do some paper cutting to make our very own movie.
Speaker 3: Let's begin why, Okay, So if I put this here and then I move this guy over here, it should work. Oh so close. Okay, let me try again.
Speaker 2: Hey, Louise, what are you up to?
Speaker 3: Oh? Hi, Emilie. I'm trying to make a movie with my toys.
Speaker 2: Oh fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched the movie Toy Story yesterday and I loved it, so I thought maybe I can make my own movie my own toys. But final talk, that's a great idea, Yeah, but I can't make you work. Every time I try to make Sir MetalMan move his sword, I try to hide my hands so the phone camera won't see it. But it doesn't look good.
Speaker 2: Oh. I think I know what your problem is. You do, Louise, Did you know that the word movies is actually short for something else?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's short for moving pictures. And that's because the movie is actually a very very long series of pictures. So when you watch a movie, you're actually seeing many pictures very quickly.
Speaker 3: Oh like hundreds of pictures.
Speaker 2: Well, more like around one hundred and fifty thousand give or take. For every second in a movie, you see twenty four different pictures. So if a movie lasts around one hundred minutes, well that's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of pictures exactly. Wait, I think I get it. I should just take a whole bunch of pictures.
Speaker 2: You got it. You take a picture and then you move your character just a little bit, then take another one, then move it again, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Oh it is. Feature length animated movies can take years to finish.
Speaker 3: I better get started. Then.
Speaker 2: I actually know someone who can help you make your dream come true?
Speaker 3: Really, who is it, Emily?
Speaker 2: His name is Julian Currie, and he's gonna be our very special guest for today's talking game show.
Speaker 3: What does he do?
Speaker 2: Something very unique? He turns puppets into films that just tell wonderful stories.
Speaker 3: Wow, puppets like this school puppa right here. Look, I can put my hand in it and go like, hi, every what do you call the squirrel that goes to space?
Speaker 4: Hmm?
Speaker 3: I give up an astronut.
Speaker 2: Astro nut?
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Well, Julian's puppets are a little bit different from yours. They're actually made of paper.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I've never seen paper puppets before.
Speaker 2: Julian Curie makes his movies at home and he works with actual paper. One of his paper movies is called Gruff Gruff.
Speaker 3: That's sounds like something that Maxie would say. And what's it about.
Speaker 2: It's about a super spy and I think Julian can explain it way better than me. Check this voice note he sent just for you for me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I want to know everything about it.
Speaker 4: So Graphic is a short film about a superspy who risks her life all around the world with all these sorts of daring missions just to get her dad to say that he loves her, or to say that he's proud of her. Except her dad is a very quiet gruff man. She realizes that her dad has loved her all along and has been so proud of her all along, He just didn't use words. If you want to see how he didn't show it, you'll have to watch the short.
Speaker 3: Film, Oh, super spy meets grumpy Dad.
Speaker 2: I like it, And you know this is Julian's favorite project too.
Speaker 3: So how do you know Julian Emily?
Speaker 2: Well, Julian is so good at paper cutting. He has an amazing YouTube channel in which he shows how he brought the Super Spy and her Dad to life.
Speaker 3: Oh, and how does he do that with magic?
Speaker 2: Actually he uses animation, just like we talked about before. But honestly, it's very much like magic if you ask me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait to meet him. Maybe he can help me I animation for my toys. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Julian just messaged me and he will be here in five just enough time for me to show you something about the wonderful history of animation.
Speaker 3: What are we waiting for? Let's go.
Speaker 2: There's one more thing all animated movies must have.
Speaker 3: And what's that?
Speaker 2: Emily Well, to find out, do we need to go all the way back to nineteen twenty six.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's almost one hundred years ago. Yep.
Speaker 2: Back then, one of the first animated movies ever came to life, The Adventures of Prince ahmed by a filmmaker who was quite ahead of her time. Her name was Latte Reineger, and this film was made with black pieces of paper. You could only see shadows moving on the screen.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can make canshadows. Look, I can make a bird.
Speaker 2: Who that's right? But you know what that film had no sound and no music.
Speaker 3: Wait, so there's no talking or anything.
Speaker 2: Nope, only paper on screen. But even if it had no sound or music, it did have something that made it special for people to watch. Can you guess what that was? I guess it had adventures and a prince bingo. This film told a story. It's about a prince who saves a woman from evil beasts.
Speaker 3: Oh, I get it. If we want to make an animated movie with my toys, we need to tell a story with them.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Julian can definitely help us with that.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Hi there, dear listeners, Welcome to our talking game show, and please welcome Julian Currie. Julian is an amazing animator and paper cut filmmaker. He has reached millions of viewers worldwide with his creations. Today, we'll start with a little chat and we'll do something extra fun for our game show. We'll put Julian's creativity to the test to see what amazing movie ideas he can come up with on the spot.
Speaker 3: Hi Julian, I'm Luis. Nice to meet you. Your puppets look just like toys to me. What were your favorite toys when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it was any toy that had the best articulation. And what I mean by that word is the most joints on a figure. If their wrists could move, if their head could move, if their torso could move, their shoulders. I hated toys that could not move if they were just solid plastic, and I couldn't bend their arms and their legs into cool poses.
Speaker 2: Ooh like action figures. Yes, superhero toys now, Julian, you use paper puppets instead of plastic or plush toys in your movies, and you make them yourself. But why do you use paper?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It can break and if it gets what you can use it anymore, and the wind can blow it away.
Speaker 1: I love paper because it's all around us, whether that's in cereal boxes or old homework or newspapers, or if it's the stuffing in the packages that come in the mail. It's all around us. So it makes it so easy to find and so easy to play with and build. You almost don't have to buy any because it's just all around us. I recycle so much, probably too much. I have too many piles of junk.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I'll keep my cereal boxes next time.
Speaker 2: Great idea, Luise. We have a lot of stuff at home that we can use to make magic happen. Speaking of which, Julian, I heard you used to be a magician.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, as a kid, I always loved escaping to new worlds. And I saw a magician do some tricks at a shop one day when I was younger, and he was surrounded by this crowd and just the awe and wonder that was that happened in that room, and I said, Wow, that's what I wish that I could do. So I bought a few magic tricks, I got some kids, and I started doing magic at school. And I was able to see that all and wonder in my friend's eyes, or not even in my friends, other people's strangers. It was such a way to connect with people who I didn't even know by bringing them joy and wonder.
Speaker 2: And how is making movies similar to doing magic at school?
Speaker 1: When you're making a movie or you're telling a story, you're doing the exact same thing. So I was able to bring a lot of that magic knowledge into making movies because I have that same desire. I want to bring joy and wonder and awe to people when I tell a story.
Speaker 3: Wow, Julian, I can't wait to tell my friends to save all their cereal boxes too, so we can make our own puppets and make movies with them. So what can kids like me learn from animators like you?
Speaker 1: I think the best tool if you want to start as paper cutter is curiosity. Looking at artwork that's all around you, looking at movies, looking at shows that you like, looking at the places that you like, the people that you like, and trying to just bring that into paper world. There's no one way to make a paper figure, there's no one way to make a paper film, but there's only one you. And so if you stay curious and you blend all those things into a really cool story, that's going to bring a lot of people joy. It's worth trying using cardboard or colorful paper, or posters or cereal boxes, small scissors, big scissors, hot glue, Elmer's glue, whatever. I think sometimes play and curiosity is the final product.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Antipators can use lots of different and creative tools to tell their stories.
Speaker 3: I have all those things at home already. I have an orange cereal box. Maybe I can cut it into a zigzag shape and that I can move it around and use it as fire in the background.
Speaker 2: Ooh, great idea, Luise. By the way, ready for some game show playtime.
Speaker 3: I'm super ready, Emily. Today we're playing a very short game called what if?
Speaker 2: And what is this game about?
Speaker 3: I'll say what if? Then I'll share a movie idea, and then Julian will tell us how he would turn that idea into a movie.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's exciting. I like it.
Speaker 3: Let's begin, okay, Julian. So here's idea number one? What if I want to make a short animated film about a talking deck of cards?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: What's really cool about a deck of cards? And I used to be a magician, so I've been around decks of cards a lot. Is that they have an opening flap and that kind of acts like a lip in a way. You can glue some google eyes to it. You can draw some eyes on it.
Speaker 2: I would have a little card with googly eyes, me too.
Speaker 3: Okay. Second story option? What if I wanted to make a short animated film about a dog who's best friends with a cat.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, right off the bat, I love the story. I have three cats. I don't have any dogs right now. But I do love animals, so I totally support anyone making animal puppets. So I think my first step would be drawing your cat and drawing your dog. Then step two would be finding the best cardboard or paper that can hold the paint and the color of your critters that you want. You can use cardboard from boxes that come to your door in packages, So if you want in your cat to be white and your dog to be black or the other way around, it's not gonna wrinkle a lot like it would if you just painted right onto paper.
Speaker 3: There's a lot we.
Speaker 2: Can take from this. Making an exciting story is key for animation, and giving your character's personality is a must. Julian, Before we let you go, any last tips for our listeners.
Speaker 1: I would just urge anyone who doesn't know how to do something and it's they see something that looks cool, just try it, because that's how everybody started. My first steps into it. We're not good. I did a lot of experiments, but you know, after a couple of years, I had a finished movie that I could share with people, and that brought people a lot of joy.
Speaker 2: Excellent advice. We're almost never going to get things right the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like me right now with my movie. But that's okay. That's how you learn exactly.
Speaker 2: Julian, thank you so much for joining us. We had so much fun. So, Louis, did Julian give you any ideas for your own movie?
Speaker 3: I think I have a story ready for my Sir MetalMan and Doctor Dynomight. I can't wait to take pictures of it and put all together.
Speaker 2: I love your enthusiasm. We can have a premiere screening and our very special Go Forward Lab movie theater.
Speaker 3: You have a movie theater.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 2: We love building fun and new gadgets, but it's a lot of work and sometimes we just want to take a break, sit back and watch a good movie, you know.
Speaker 3: And can we have popcorn?
Speaker 2: Louise, it's a movie theater, of course we can have popcorn.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, Louise.
Speaker 2: The Go Forward Labs a movie theater is very special because they can take all the pictures you've taken from your short film and played them all together so we can see how they look in movement.
Speaker 3: I hope I took enough pictures.
Speaker 2: Wow, Louise, did you build that set all by yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh? I love it? Yes, Oh look, there's sur MetalMan drawing the sword. That was a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: But it looked great. Oh and there's the evil t Rex.
Speaker 3: That's Doctor Dynamite.
Speaker 2: How did you make him spit fire like that?
Speaker 3: I got this idea from the interview with Julian. I wanted to add fire to the background. Guess what I did exactly the orange cardboard leftover.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks really cool. Congratulations, Louise, can't wait to see your next movie. So what did you learn about being an animator from Julian?
Speaker 3: I learned that animators use their super imaginations, They learn lots of cool tricks to make their films. Their stories can make people feel all sorts of feelings, and they put a ton of love into their work.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tagging along on this episode of growing up about the magic behind animation. Until next time, keep that spark of curiosity up, dear listeners, Louise, are you curious for more always? Well, you can check out Lingo Kids, the number one app for kids. We have tons of videos and games and podcasts that are fun and educational. Download the link kids app and give it a try for free. So that's a side.
Speaker 3: That's this side, sh