Speaker 1: Day two of joint practices between the Patriots and Eagles, and the defenses hit back a little bit. Let's break it down. Welcome everybody to the Patriots Training Camp cast presented by New Balance and guys. We wrapped it up today. Fortunately that's the end of training camp for the most part. We'll get a couple practices next week walk through probably stuff not anything we can report on, but yes, today active second joint practice with the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Got Jack with us.
Speaker 1: Here from the Porem post game show filling in for Polyp and I think today let's let's start with a positive because came in saying it felt like the Patriots defense didn't do a great job against the run yesterday. Didn't feel like they did a great job containing some of those big plays. Today was a better story. Felt like they came out today with that in mind. Not a lot of room for Saquon Barkley out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seemed like they bottled up Saquon better today, especially on those interior runs that he hit them on yesterday.
Speaker 4: And that's what you wanted to see.
Speaker 3: You wanted to see Milon Williams and Corey Dirten and a job a farmer and those guys inside.
Speaker 4: Beach is a little tighter and a little bit.
Speaker 3: More buttoned up inside, So that was good to see. I actually thought that, you know, there were some times where the coverage was pretty good down the field that made Jalen Hurts hold the ball. Marcus Jones a couple of interceptions as well, one really nice one and then a pick six on another tip drill kind of interception. So overall, I thought the Patriots both defenses, and we're going to get to the Eagles defense in a second, both defenses. This tends to happen in these joint practices. One day goes one way, the other day goes another. The defense watches the tape, they're feeling a little bit down on themselves, and they come back out and they punch back, And I thought, both defenses did that today.
Speaker 1: Jack, your first joint practice the summer, and what were your impressions that start with the Patriots defense before we move over to the offense.
Speaker 2: Well, what I loved was it was the juice that they had.
Speaker 5: They had that edge, and you could tell that they probably got it a little bit in meetings yesterday, right, they had to be better, and they came out and I love the edge they played with.
Speaker 2: Obviously a couple scraps that.
Speaker 5: You know, we don't encourage, but we observed, you know, certainly, Yeah, just scrabble pushing and shoving Noe Foles, but no one doing anything yet. You saw a guy like Christian Barmore come in and bring some heat, and I thought, that's what I like from the Patriots defense is a response that's definitely what you wanted to see, just culture wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of personnell not notice that Craig Woodson did take part in team drills. Yeah, maybe he got a little bit banged up. Reggie Gilliam on the other side, he's had some rest days too. I think Crable's taking extra good care of our fullback. He doesn't want to see really good because he's gonna have a lot of training. Rind, he's gonna have a little car crashes this year. Yeah, maybe trying to limit that those hits. So let's flip over to the other side of the ball with with Drake may and the offense where it felt like the Eagles. Eagles defense came to play today and it kind of thought that they would come back with something to prove after yesterday felt like Drake kind of carved him up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you mentioned Jack that the Patriots defense hurt it. Vic Fangio must have watched that tape yesterday and was like, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: This is not acceptable.
Speaker 3: That's a really, really good Eagles defense, So getting them two days in a row is probably going to be unlikely, especially blocking Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis two days in a row. So ninety specifically, who's Ordon Davis? Noticed him a bunch. He was in the backfield a lot, He was dent in pockets and stuffing runs, and he was really active in this practice. So I thought the interior pressure was felt a little bit more today. Maybe that led to some of the aar and throws that we saw from Drake May But I also thought Quinnon, Mitchell and Riek Woollen bounced back a little bit too in the team periods against the Patriots wide receivers. So just overall, the Eagles stars kind of came back today and said, hey, you know, we got pushed around a little bit yesterday.
Speaker 4: That's not going to happen again.
Speaker 1: Not without a couple of highlights though, And there was one a j Brown catch in the end zone. That was awesome. I mean that relationship continues to evolve. Not quite as active as he was yesterday, Jack, but I continue to see really good things out of him out of the confidence that Drake May has to throw the ball down the field to Romeo Dobbs. It seems like even though Eagles punched back a little bit today, Patriot's still making some progress.
Speaker 5: We talked about it on PU But I mean, to be in this position, have Drake May working with Aj Brown and have a true star quarterback working with a true star receiver.
Speaker 2: I mean, what was it last time?
Speaker 5: Probably Moss and Brain really last time I was a child that when that happened.
Speaker 2: So it's a beautiful site and I just like the response as well.
Speaker 5: To stay on the positive note from the offense there, you throw the interception, which that's one that's football, you know what I mean. It sucks where it's a sudden change in a game where it's the same.
Speaker 2: Thing, you're have another shot.
Speaker 5: I'm glad they got another shot at the end of the practice there in that red zone, high red drill. But it was nice to see them respond even though they face the adversity with a third long and not great plays in that period.
Speaker 2: They scored a touchdown though, that's what matters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was nice Patriot play, as Paul likes to call them. Smooth post to Romeo dobs And got him open, hit him in stride, hit him on time, and that was a nice little bounce back. It was like one play that that first drive. It bounced off of three guys and ends up in an Eagles.
Speaker 4: Hey, it happens like those.
Speaker 3: Diving that catch and that was kind of, you know, unfortunate, I would say, more than it was like a mistake or anything like that by anybody.
Speaker 4: The one that he threw earlier in.
Speaker 3: The practice though, the pick six that rikuol And had in the red zone, he admitted it was late in the red zone. And you can't be late in the red zone as a quarter, especially throwing outside the numbers in the flats that's gonna go the other way. So definitely some improvement needed in the red zone, I would say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to really draw out the picture of final red zone period, each team got two shots at it.
Speaker 4: Very first play for.
Speaker 1: New England's first team offense, tipball interception. Like we said, the defense came out and Jalen Hurts had a good good day right down the field on them TD on Kilndel wildor there in the end zone. They did stop the two point conversion's first team offense for the Patriots comes back out a little bit better, nice touchdown not to Romeo Dobbs, and then defense coming up with a nice second day in a row. The second team defense comes up the pass break up there in the end zone to finish things up from Marcellus Dials.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of how it went.
Speaker 3: Don't sell booty short, don't don't forget about it, booty booty back shoulder fade from Tommy DeVito to wrap up practice. So I guess if we're scoring it right. The Eagles scored twice and the Patriots scored three times, so the Patriots won again win the practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how we're well, I think, though, guys.
Speaker 1: There's so much talking like who won the practice and this and that, like great work for the Patriots. There's definitely not the feeling of panic we had two years ago when they went out there in a joint practice against Eagles and got pushed all around, which Drake May said he watched a little bit of yeah earlier this week and was I guess the word wouldn't be impressed. Maybe impressed in a bad way, but it wasn't that. It was a solid showing from the Patriots. They're going to get back on the field on Saturday night. We'll see what it looks like in terms of starters, playing and all that. But I think as a you know, as Patriots fan, you're looking it's less than three weeks they're gonna be walking into Seattle.
Speaker 4: It's a huge challenge facing them.
Speaker 2: There's no time to lose.
Speaker 5: Licking your chops and everyone does want a crown of winner, I feel like in these joint practice right but the reality is that's two contenders just going to battle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: A question I have for you guys, you know, putting the host hat on, What's something you learned about this Patriots team over the yesterday right now?
Speaker 4: He's a point guard, you know.
Speaker 1: I would just say, and Evan and I have talked a lot about this is how does Mike Vrabel in his second year kind of recreate that that identity that this team.
Speaker 4: Had, which is just an aggressive, physical team.
Speaker 1: I mean, you talked about it, you felt that, and I think That's what came out to me over these last two days. I've kind of been lukewarm on camp so far. It's been there have been moments that have been good, there have been moments that have been bad. But you know, it didn't feel like there's been an overarching storyline to me. It all kind of came together here in these last two days, and I see this is a team that's gonna play physical, that's gonna play with that same style. They're gonna be their own thing. It's gonna be unique. But I like that personality they're playing with.
Speaker 3: I just go with the juxtaposition of what this looked like two years ago against this exact same team, and even deeper than that, AJ Brown and Millan Williams are on the other sideline, and now the Patriots. Both those guys are Patriots. The Patriots have stars too.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, Drake May's a star, AJ Brown's a star, Millon Williams is a star. I know Christian Gonzales didn't practice, but he's also a star. And it felt so lopsided two years ago. Not only what was going on on the field was lopsided, but the star power was lopsided too. In Philly's favor, and I give a lot of credit to Mike Rabel, Elliott Wolf, Ryan Cowden. In two years, they have gotten some real heavy hitters, some frontline players on this roster that when you go up against a team that has Jalen Hurts and Saquon Barkley and Jalen Carter and all these star players, you have your own guys that can go toe to toe with them. So it really shows just how far this roster has come in just two years. Like it feels like that was a lifetime ago, but it wasn't that long ago that the Patriots were a four win team and the Eagles were a super Bowl team. And now it looks like they're even on a practice field, which is good to see.
Speaker 5: So many teams go around and around the wheel. It's nice to see a successful rebuild. Huah, it just got right back. Yeah, well true, we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: I mean, we got to get in the regular season two and it's coming fast. That's going to do it for this year's camp cast, but tune into the Patriots pregame show and postgame show.
Speaker 2: Jack of course hosting that.
Speaker 1: With myself and Paul Perillo, will be there six forty five on Saturday night. We'll see how these two teams stack up on the game field.