Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkschen. We're recording this on President's Day, So a happy President's Day to you, Dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to you Jeff. Four Team Tim today. It's one of our easiest team Tim's ever will have the All President's team. This was not They're usually difficult. They're usually a stretch, but it was pretty easy coming up with a team with players whose last name of that of a president. And I understand on President's Day, Jeff, you went to the circus today with McKinley Hope. Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My daughter and I we saw the Ringling Brothers at Exfinity Mobile Live. I believe it is. And ironically, Dad, while I was at Exfinity Mobile Live formerly the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia where the Sixers and the Flyers play, the Infinity guy was fixing my internet here at my house at the same exact time. So I walked in there and I said, hey, listen, I'm a customer. I would like access to the bathrooms early. I would like frontline on all of the prizes. Dat how much money do you think I spent on parking, food.
Speaker 3: And gifts for my daughter.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty bus tickets one hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: I think I was at just over one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: The cotton candy was eighteen dollars. Nobody told me parenting would result in bankruptcy.
Speaker 2: Jeff, it's so expensive today. I love the circus. I took you kids to the circus a couple times when you were young. I'll never forget Stephen Wright, one of the great one line comedians of all times. He said, have famous clown died Twenty of his clown friends went to the funeral in one car.
Speaker 1: Dad, I'll never forget you Remember the time we went to go see Cirqua Sola, Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yes, we were visiting.
Speaker 1: Family, and all of us were wearing matching Chuck Taylor's. Now, mind you, I believe I was a teenager at this time, meaning my sister was, you know, almost twenty and Dad, you told the parking attendant as we drove in, hey, we're going to the circus, right.
Speaker 2: And we were going to the she they're parking for the circus. She looked at me.
Speaker 1: Not even technically the circus at Surfu Alay it's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: She looked at me like I was cared less.
Speaker 2: All right. She didn't care, and I didn't care either. But here's what I care about, Jeff. My Baseball Writer's card arrived in the mail today. I started out in nineteen eighty as number eight hundred and eighty on the Baseball Writer's list. I was number eight eighty and I'm down to number two, which means only twenty one people in front of me have covered the game for longer than I have. And I only bring that up because Jeff. I was number twenty two last year, so I'm twenty two this year, which means what Jeff.
Speaker 1: Means, you haven't had a chance to murder any of the twenty one in front of you.
Speaker 2: Nobody died in front of me. Is Hall of Fame baseball writer Joe falls on road. This is not a race that you want to win. So I got my card in the mail. It's as proud as I am of anything that I do being a part of the Baseball Writers and my card arrived. It's a means for celebration, for sure.
Speaker 3: Very neat.
Speaker 1: Also, I want to let our listeners know just a little note we're having a deck built in our backyard.
Speaker 3: We moved to a new house. We're so excited.
Speaker 1: Guess where that deck connects to the home right behind me.
Speaker 3: So if you hear any.
Speaker 1: Knocking or trilling or any sorts of noise, it's not me. I'm not building a birdhouse over here. It is the deck being built behind me.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't even get my podcast studio together.
Speaker 3: I'm all stressed.
Speaker 1: I'm using a different computer now because my computer won't connect to the Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: I sound like you. What is going on with me, Jeff?
Speaker 2: When you have more technical issues than I do. We're both, We're both. We're in a lot of trouble, all right, Jeff, I really got a thrill. I'm writing a story. I'm not going to tell you what it's about because it's a secret. Even though it's not basying about baseball, it's a baseball story. And Wow, consecutive days I spoke to Johnny Bench and Paul Molitor, which was you know again, I love those guys. I've talked to him many, many, many times. I'm not dropping names. I just want you to know that, at age almost seventy, when I still get to talk to guys like that. It's still a big thrill for me because I learned so much when I talk to them. So so four years ago, at the Hall of Fame, Jeff, our whole family is there and Jef Bench is walking by us, and I stopped him and I said, Johnny, can you can you take some pictures? My two brothers are here, there were both great college baseball players. Can you take some pictures? So he goes sure, So he pulls out his camera. I know you know the story, Jeff and starts to take pictures of all the Kirkchins at the Hall of Fame. And he's so good at it, and I'm just so honored that Johnny Bench is taking pictures of us. And finally, after ten minutes, I say, Johnny, look, this was great, but we want a picture with you in it with us. So he says okay. So he passes his camera to this other gentleman and said, can you take some pictures of me with the Kirkchins. And the man he passed it to was Paul Molitor. So the guy who got more hits than Willie Mays took the camera and took pictures of Johnny Bench with the Kirkchins, and I spoke to those guys on back to my days that is it okay to still get a thrill by that, Jeff.
Speaker 1: I just think it's hilarious that arguably the greatest catcher of all time wanted to take a picture of us. Normally, Normally it's the insult when you get handed the camera and you're the one that doesn't. And trust me, that is happening, right. I take pictures for you all the time.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: People are like, hey, Tim, it's great to meet you. Can we get a picture, And I say, yes, I would love to take a picture for you, right, and I take it for them with you. But for Johnny Bench to assume that we wanted just his camera skills, which are immaculate.
Speaker 3: By the way, Dad, I have a question kind of on this line though.
Speaker 1: What is it about photography and baseball players?
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a correlation here.
Speaker 1: Ken Griffy Junior, great photographer, Randy Johnson, amazing photographer, Johnny Bench loves to take photos. Is it, and I'm not trying to be kitchy or stupid or funny? Is it an eye thing?
Speaker 3: Is it a is it a capturing a moment, great eyes kind of It's.
Speaker 2: A good question, Jeff. And maybe it is. Maybe when you're you know, so visible like they are, and they've you know, grown up with pictures being taken of them in the greatest situations ever, World Series, everything else. They see what that, they understand what that means, and they want to capture it themselves because their likeness has been captured so many times. Very interesting question, Jeff. Al McGuire, the great basketball coach used to say, this guy has two hobbies, photography and taking pictures, which we always got to kick out al.
Speaker 3: McGuire, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: And Dad, you know, I thought you were just about a sneak us and say, darn it, Jeff, that's what my story was about, all right.
Speaker 2: Also, Jeff, a shout out to Sam Ravich, our dear friend, Karl Ravich's son. Sam is in the business. He's really good at this. He just had a child a year and a half ago or so, Jj, But he sent out something about his alma mater, pepper Dine, where a pitcher Colin Valentine pitched started a game the pitcher on Valentine's Day and according to Sam, he's the first college baseball pitcher with the name Valentine to ever start a game on Valentine's Day. And he sent that to me and said, he said, Tim, I thought you'd appreciate this, so Sam, thank you very much. You have no idea how much I appreciate your thing, way too much, but I love it. It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Dad, that's a great little quirk chin which I can't wait to get into the quark chins when we start the regular season again.
Speaker 3: It's going to be really good. Dad. I do have a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A PSA that I wanted to share with our listeners for anybody who happens to be in and around the Philadelphia area. I meant to bring this up last week, but I mean, I guess it's never too late. We have I have an event called a Tasty Talk. It's coming up tomorrow February eighteenth, So Wednesday, February eighteenth at Mason Lotus in Wayne, Pennsylvania, right on the main line, and we're selling tickets to give back to ALS Research and ALS United mid Atlantic is going to be receiving the funds and we're going to do I have some Phillies tickets to give away some signed merchandise to give away. Dad, I actually wanted to ask you if you wanted to bring a couple of books to give away for the for the silent auction that I'm going to be doing for that to raise some money for als.
Speaker 3: Do you think I can get a book or two?
Speaker 2: Yes, you have plenty of books still, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you want information about how to attend this event, it's open to the public, just have to get a ticket in advance. You can go to Great Game or what dot com. I'm going to put this up on our website, just a link. There's a number of seats still left. Dad, You're actually going to be driving up for it, which is really awesome.
Speaker 3: So and I'm going to be given a given a little speech.
Speaker 1: So I'm really looking forward to it. And Dad, I'm glad that you. I was going to try to involve you in the event, and then I kind of said, you know, when does my dad just go go to an event and just be able to eat and enjoy instead of having to get up there and dance, monkey dance and talk baseball for an hour. Instead, I'm going to talk for only fifteen minutes. Mind you and I'm so glad you're gonna make it. It's gonna be really special. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been doing a lot of speeches lately, Jeff. As in a five day period. Recently, I spoke to my grandson Carson's class, age five. Then I spoke at a retirement home average age I'm guessing eighty five. That was a couple days later, and then I spoke at a banquet for the Israeli baseball team in the WBC. Talk about an eclectic group of speeches that I had to make during a five day period. They all turned out pretty well, I hope, and it was great. But Jeff, just relax on Wednesday. You'll be great and just be yourself, be spontaneous, be genuine, be real, and everything will be five.
Speaker 1: And the funniest part of that is the toughest crowd was the four and five year olds, right by far.
Speaker 2: The tough's crap six seventh jeez, they're like.
Speaker 1: Stop talking about bab Ruth, talk about show. Hey all right, dad, Well that thanks for the PSA giving me that chance. Go to great camera what dot com to get your tickets?
Speaker 3: Should you jump into the takeaways? My friend?
Speaker 2: Sure? Jeff, Okay, last week we kind of kicked off. Spring training has begun. This week's spring training games are beginning. And let's be clear about spring training games. I love spring training games, but you know, there's a lot of times that only four major leaguers are in the line of Some of them play two, three, four innings and then they're gone. That's just the way it works in spring training. Do you have a visitor, Jeff, I'm so sorry. We do have, Hope Hies. Whose house did you sleep at the other night?
Speaker 3: Whose house did you sleep at the other night?
Speaker 2: Popop's house? Love?
Speaker 3: Did pop Ups house? And did pop Up sleep with you in the bed? Because you had trouble falling asleep?
Speaker 2: And then she woke up and had a terrible nightmare, and but she went right back to bed and she was great.
Speaker 1: So all right, Sissy, well can you say I love you?
Speaker 3: Pop up right in the microphone? Wow, popap love.
Speaker 2: See you on Wednesday. Okay, see you see Wednesday.
Speaker 1: All right, Sissy, you can you can play down here, my love, but you have to you have to be quiet and let Daddy work.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can play though, you want to play down here. Okay, you can play down here. I love you, give me kiss. Yeah, you got some wipes.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: That one is me.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can play down here, but you gotta you gotta play quietly. Okay.
Speaker 1: This is the joys of being a working from home father for this podcast. She and the dog just came down too. Have you ever seen that news clip, dad, of the guy who's doing like a live Yeah, both of his kids come dancing. She just scared the living heck out of me just by standing there. I didn't realize she was going to be here, So I know that any moment now, Emily is going to come sprinting down the stairs thinking that she is disturbed. And it's okay, we're going to be okay. So once it comes down, McKinley's going to play nice and quietly. She's got a skirt on because daddy's working right now.
Speaker 3: Good job.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to the takeaways, Dad, Sorry for the great.
Speaker 2: Distraction, all right, No worries, Jeff. Again, spring training games have begun and there's no telling what you might see at a spring training game. I'm going to tell you this story, Jeff. I think I've told you before, but since you're in you know country music. Garth Brooks, the Great Garth Brooks used to work out with the San Diego Padres in spring training and Bruce Bochie, Bruce Bochie put him into a game more than once, so he put him in as a pinch runner. And Garth Brooks, who like could hold his own believe it or not, gets picked off in a spring training game. He's out by five feet going back to first base, and Ed Montague, the umpire veteran, Ed Montague calls him safe. So like Mark Grace, the first basement is laughing out loud, like this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Garth Brooks hugs Ed Montague right there on the field, hugs him for still calling him safe. And Ed Montague said after the game, look, I can call Barry Mands out of first, I can call Mark Grace out at first, but I can't call Garth Brooks out of first. My wife loves him, and if I called about I couldn't go home after the game. So it just shows you these are the beautiful things that happen in spring training. Nobody's taking it that seriously. And we can have a country music store. Our pinch run in a major league game in spring training. You're okay, right, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, of course that's the beauty.
Speaker 1: I mean, nothing is better in my opinion. Besides, you've got October baseball and spring training baseball. Listen, a summer game with a cold beer is the best thing ever. But spring training just it's like you're a kid at that ballpark because you're so close to the players, you have.
Speaker 3: So much access to them. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: You remember when Will Ferrell got traded mid game from one team to another on the same team, right.
Speaker 2: And it's hilarious. And every year in the last ten years, almost Jeff, we have miked up players in spring training and they're just so playful, they're having so much fun. We had Mookie bets On, Rabbi Eduardo and I did a game at spring training I don't know eight years ago. Moki's in Boston and there's a line drive down the right field line and we are having a conversation with him and he's run after the ball and he goes ain't getting to this one boys, the ball drops in for a double, and then we've got to talking about his golf swing and there he is in right field in the middle of an exhibition game, showing us his golf swing. Again, this can only happen in spring training. It is a really fun, joyful time of year, as long as you go there not expecting to see your team win every game, your your favorite players playing nine innings, and even your favorite players being great, Jeff, because it's not important to go there and run up big numbers. Show. Oh, Tony doesn't care if he gets a hit in spring training, just as long as he stays, you know, according to his plan, his body holds up and everything else. And to that end, Jeff, just keep in mind wins and losses for teams totally irrelevant in spring training. The eighty four Cubs, I remember this, went seven and twenty during spring training seven and twenty and ended up winning the division that year. And on the other side, the two thousand and two Orioles went twenty and nine in spring training and lost ninety five games this year. So there often is no correlation between a good spring training or bad spring training record and what's going to happen in the regular season.
Speaker 1: You know, before our anniversary show at our radio station every year, Dad, we have what's called the side stage where these young up and coming artists come befom on it, and we've had the likes of Luke Colmbs, the likes of Morgan Wallen Hardy. These are like the biggest names in country music right now. Dad playing on this tiny little stage before the big headliner goes on the big, big stage. And they're playing at like two pm. Dad, the show starts at seven.
Speaker 3: My point is what I.
Speaker 1: Love about country music listeners and baseball fans is they love investing in an artist or a player early on. You never know who you're going to see in a spring training game. That could be the next Mike Trout, that could be the next Bryce Harper, could be the next show Hey, whatever it is, because it's just magic, right and you see players make connections with fans, and you could say I saw him when he wore number eighty two in.
Speaker 3: Arizona's Cactus League. He was in nobody, and.
Speaker 1: Now he's starting as the everyday left field or whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I love those stories.
Speaker 2: That's why spring training is so good and so important. The stuff you see there in February and March, at least for me as a reporter, are still important. When October rolls around because you might see a guy and you say, wow, I saw him on a backfield in spring training, and now here he is playing in the World Series. Those things really matter. So and all sorts of like I said, Jeff, all sorts of crazy things happen in spring training. I did a game with the Orioles, Jeff Stone, this is the late eighties. Got thrown out at all four bases in one game. Now, I'm sure that's not I'm sure that's been done before. It just seemed a little bit odd to me. He got thrown out at first, second, third, and home in the same game. That's sounds pretty That sounds unique, does it not.
Speaker 1: It seems like he was trying to turn it on a couple of times with the wheels, and the wheels were not spinning in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Right. And I'm going to use a bad word here, we'll bleep it out. Jet. But Earl Williams was a really good power hitting catcher for the Braves, and the Orioles loved anyone that could hit the ball out of the ballpark, especially at a position where you're not used to getting great power. So they acquired Earl Williams, the catcher from the Braves, and Earl Weaver, the manager of the Orioles, told me years later that Earl Williams showed up and Earl Weaver started him the first three games of the exhibition season so he could get used to catching the four great starting pitchers that the Orioles had. But when the lineup was posted after the third straight game to start the exhibition season in which Earl Earl Williams is starting, he goes into Earl Weaver's office and says, don't we have any other bleeping catchers on this team? And Earl Weavers said, I knew right then we were in trouble. Needless to say, the Earl Williams experience from the Braves to the Orioles didn't turn out as well as we thought it would.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: And you're the only podcast host in the world that says, I'm gonna say a bad word, but we'll bleep it out, and then you don't say the bad word, and then you just say bleep instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got kids listening to the show once in a while. Don't read that.
Speaker 1: But I have the bleeping capability to bleeping bleep the bleep, so you can bleep.
Speaker 3: I mean listen.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time. This is a true story, honest to god. I remember the first time I was reading one of your books.
Speaker 3: It was it must have been is this a great game?
Speaker 2: Or what?
Speaker 1: It was your second book, because there were no bad words in the first book, America's Game, which is just like kind of like a history of the game to that point. And I remember reading a four letter bad word in that and immediately coming to you.
Speaker 3: Do you remember this? And I said, Dad, you wrote a bad word in your book, And.
Speaker 1: You said, I was quoting somebody, Jeff, that's what we have to do. And that was the first time I had ever heard in theory, I guess, not really heard, but heard you utter a curse word.
Speaker 2: Well, it was reading your book. Sometimes for the importance of the quote, you need to include all the words. It's like when al Pacino uses the F word, nobody uses it more powerfully and better than Albacina. All right, enough of that. That's enough of the takeaways. The point is, if you go to a spring training game, just sit back and enjoy it, and don't expect to be entertained by the best players for nine innings. Just sit back, enjoy the sunshine. And maybe, just like you said, Jeff, you'll see somebody who's going to make a difference, maybe not this year, but maybe two years from now, and you're gonna say I was there. That guy made his debut in an exhibition game in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, on this date in baseball history, what do you have for us?
Speaker 2: Well, today is Michael Jordan's birthday. How cool is that? So, Michael j Michael Jordan, of course, played one year minor league baseball for the Birmingham Barons. Having all, he is the greatest basketball player of all time, we're not going to argue about this. This is not the reason we do this show. But after three championships, he goes and plays baseball for one year at Double A. And I thought, Jeff, let's just quickly tell the story again. I thought Michael Jordan was going to hit fifty in Double A. Okay, he wasn't a great high school baseball player. It takes fifteen years away from it and goes and plays at Double A. He hit two oh two, He drove in fifty three runs, stole thirty six bases, a miracle. He willed himself to hit two hundred in DOUBLEA, because there's no way he was hitting under two hundred. Tito Frankcona was his manager, and he told me hours and hours of stories about how great a teammate Michael Jordan was and how he would do anything to learn how to play the game properly because he recognized this is not my sport. I got to listen to the experts. Does any of this surprise you about Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: No, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 1: And after watching his documentary, I think we learned a little bit more about him. But I loved the baseball stories and I love the Terry Francona stories we got about.
Speaker 2: Mj Right, well, Tito tells a bunch of them, but one of them, one of them, he says, they come back on a team bust, you know, the Jordan cruiser, and they stop and where they park there's an outdoor basketball court there, and everyone knows this is Jordan getting off the bus. He's playing basketball now, So they start chirping at him from a distance, like, come on over, old man, come on over, baseball player, see what you could do against us. So Jordan is now pissed that he's being challenged here. So he grabs four of the coaches, one of them Tito Francona, and says, we're going to play these guys and they and Tito said, no, no, no, I'm the manager here, I'm in charge of you. We're not playing them, and Jordan says, yes, we are. So they go and play five on five against these guys on this outdoor sandlot court. Okay, first time down the court, Tito tells me he sets a pick. He sets a screen for Michael Jordan at the top of the key, as if Michael Jordan needs a screen to get by his guy and get to the rack, like it's the most ridiculous thing ever, screams out and get out of my way. So Jordan of course took over, and one guy was still chirping, and Jordan like dunked on the guy like bent the rim, literally bent the rim, and then stood over top of him and was screaming at him as he was lying on the ground. And at that point, Tito just called the game off, like, I can't allow anything bad to happen here. Michael, you're a baseball player. You're with us now. And Jordan of course did what the manager said and on all those bus trides. Jeff, I told you this. They used to play Yachtzi for money on every trip. So Tito told me, he said, I'm making twenty seven thousand dollars a year as the manager of the Birmingham Barons, and Michael's on our Team's greatest basketball player ever. He's got three rings and he's the richest man in America. And he said, and he's cheating at Yatzi because he cannot bear to lose because they're playing for money. This is who is how competitive Michael Jordan was. And all these years later, Jeff, he and Michael Jordan, Tito and Michael Jordan are like best friends, best friends, and it just shows you what a great manager Tito is, but more important, what a great teammate Michael Jordan was. Where he recognized, if I'm gonna succeed in the sport, even for one year, I have to do and listen to the people who know the game way better than I do. So Happy birthday to Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, that's funny that you brought that up, because for poor pop Op today, I have a quiz about famous.
Speaker 3: MJ's No way, isn't that insane.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's go.
Speaker 1: Each one of these answers, D it's a short one has their initials either their first and last name or their first and middle name to be MJ.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right, so Dad, can you name me?
Speaker 1: The famous MJ who is a renowned American fashion designer celebrated for his blend of grunge nineteen seventies to nineteen eighties nostalgia with cool aesthetics. He was previously the creative director of Louis Vauton, but then created his own brand named after him, m j.
Speaker 3: Uh I starting with the harder ones, Jef.
Speaker 2: I hope this is the hardest one because I have no idea.
Speaker 1: It's your son in law's first name, Mark Mark Uh, and then another Mark Jacobs. Dad, I'm not even gonna make you go down this, Okay, I'll make it.
Speaker 3: A little easier from there.
Speaker 2: Ruinch, What are you crazy? How am I supposed to know that he's.
Speaker 1: The lead singer of the Rolling Stones and a rock icon MJ.
Speaker 2: Bick Jagger. I'm not that stupid.
Speaker 3: Okay, how about the King of Pop Michael Close? Come on, the King of Pop?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 3: Uh, try a different live.
Speaker 2: Name Jackson Michael Jackson, Okay, yeah, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: You got Jordan on the brain, that's all right.
Speaker 1: How about the queen of hip hop and soul, known for hits like Family Affair and Be Without.
Speaker 2: You of course, Dad an nj Uh Mary j Blige.
Speaker 3: Good job, Dad, did I get you? Got that one right? Shockingly?
Speaker 1: And that We're just gonna end the quiz there because I don't want to. I mean, I started with Mark Jacobs and that was that was a poor point for you. I thought maybe you had bought a Mark Jacob's bag in your past for mom or my sister.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, sorry, a fashion not not my strong suit, among many many many other things out there. Okay, so happy birthday to Michael Jordan. Also, happy birthday to Danny Patterson, not quite as famous. Danny Patterson pitching the big leagues for a bunch of years, Tigers and Rangers. I don't know why I got such a kick out of this jet, but I was talking to him one day. He used to throw a split. Look at my hands on the baseball jet. That's how you throw a split. I don't know how anyone throws a split. I got really long fingers, I got giant hands for little guy. But the thought of trying to control a split with your fingers split around the ball like that is amazing. So Danny Patterson told me that he used one night the Vulcan grip. So he put the script the baseball in between his fourth and third finger. That's the Vulcan grill. And I said, that's impossible. No one could control that pitch. And he's that's it, Jeff, And I said, how long did you work on it? He goes, I tried it before the game and then I brought it in and threw it in the game that night. How about that the Vulcan grip. I'll never forget Danny Patterson, just for that. Also on this state, in twenty twelve, Tim Wakefield retired. The late Tim Wakefield. What a terrible loss for baseball. One of the best guys I've ever met. And again, Jeff started more games than any pitcher in the history of the Red Sox, a pretty long history and storied history. But Tim Wakefield was very underrated, in part because he threw a knuckleball. Everyone thinks that some sort of circus act. Hey we're going to the circus. He was a really good pitcher, a great, great competitor, and he retired on this date in twenty twelve, died that long ago. Terrible loss for baseball so arrested peace Tim Wakefield, and on this date, fourteen years ago he announced his retirement.
Speaker 1: Dad, let's jump into from Burley to Behemoth. Now, you had mentioned that you are getting a little finn here, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: Talking about your physique.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about being able to name the greatest number sixty two of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think we're gonna make it from fifty six to ninety nine. We may have to ditch this at some point, but look, number sixty two. We have a couple options. Jaba Chamberlain for the Yankees war number sixty two and with a hind darn good pitcher. They used to have a rule. They called it the Jaba rules, so they could protect him, like if he pitched one day, then he would have to take a day off before pitching again. They called him the Jaba Rules. But I've taken Jose Kintana above him. He certainly has a war much higher starting pitcher one one hundred and thirteen games is still pitching. Just got signed by the Rockies, So our great number sixty two Jose Quintana.
Speaker 1: Okay with that, Dad, Listen, I'm not going to complain because I'm with you. I looked up players wearing numbers between sixty three and ninety nine, and I would be okay with maybe putting this aside for the regular season once we get there.
Speaker 3: I know, I know the members of our family, our.
Speaker 1: Listeners have had amazing ideas on what we can take us through the year, and I know we have a lot of really good segments we want to plan and put out for you once we're back to three days a week during the regular season. So we'll be there for that, all right, Dad, Three cards in the bathroom? What do you have for us?
Speaker 2: Right? Let's make sure. Three Coins in the Fountain is an old song from many years ago. We have a ton of baseball cards down in the downstairs bathroom. This morning, I just went in grabbed a bunch. I didn't use the three that we're using, but I maybe picked ten and these are three. So number one is Bailey Ober, which I love. He's a pitcher of course for the Twins. And a couple of years ago I did a game in Minneapolis and He is six foot nine and he is the tallest player in baseball at the time, and he was facing Jose Altuve to start the game, and Jose l Tuova at the time was the shortest player in baseball. So the first batter of the game featured the tallest player in baseball at the time against the shortest. Does anyone. I just love baseball because it's open to all shapes and sizes, And the first batter was six' nine against against five. SIX i love.
Speaker 1: That you, know every once in a while you get a matchup in like of a jump ball in THE, nba involving a point guard in a center it rarely, happens but in baseball you get this all the, time and this is what makes the game.
Speaker 3: Great And, DAD i know you're not big into. Gambling neither AM i.
Speaker 1: Quite, FRANKLY i don't do it a lot when it comes to my, sports BUT i definitely think if if you're gonna bet On bailey, OVER i think he got to take the over and not the.
Speaker 2: Under at sixth, nine you better take the. Over better take the, over very very, Good jeff All. Right number two Is andrew, McCutcheon one of my favorite players That i've ever been. Around incredibly, Talented. Jeff As i've told you, before if we have a you, know a talent show in the major, LEAGUES i Think Steven vote would, win But andrew McCutcheon would be a very very strong. Second he can do, impersonations he can, Sing he's obviously a great baseball. Player he's hilariously funny when he wants to. Be And i'll never forget. This i've used this a few, Times. Jeff he won a batting championship in high school when he was in the eighth. Grade in the eighth, grade playing against twelve. Graders he told, me AND i pulled this out of, him that he went to he went to you, know he was at one of these schools where it was you, know like kindergarten to. Twelve so he goes out for the team and he's going over to THE jv field at the VARs. Coaches, no, no, no, son you're over here with us eighth. Grader AND i told you That Matt diaz who lived in the area with. Him Matt diaz was a professional baseball player who went on to have a pretty darn good major league, career but as a professional baseball, player a DOUBLE a. Player he worked With andrew McCutcheon when he was thirteen years. Old So andrew's thirteen getting hitting tips from a DOUBLE a baseball, player and after three, Lessons Matt diaz told, Me, ANDREW i can't help you. Anymore you're a better hitter THAN i. Am and he was thirteen years. Old So andrew, McCutcheon let's not A hall Of, famer but he's had an exceptional, career one of the Best Pittsburgh pirates.
Speaker 1: Ever maybe it's a humble, brag but WHEN i was in eighth grade At Ridgeview Middle school In, Gaithersburg, maryland Mister, indovina the high school choir, teacher came to our choir class and told, me you're not taking, Journalism you're taking.
Speaker 3: CHOIR i already enrolled you in my. Class no big.
Speaker 2: Deal kind of the same, thing, Right and MISTER i played nicely Nicely johnson in high, school and so did. You and he ACKNOWLEDGED i was really good at, that but you were better THAN i, Was isn't that? True?
Speaker 1: Yeah he did say that that role was, very very important to, him and he was very nervous to cast.
Speaker 3: It so after my freshman.
Speaker 1: Year first of, all if you think my voice is high, now you should have heard me freshman year of high.
Speaker 3: SCHOOL i went away And, dad that was.
Speaker 1: The famous summer where you CLAIM i went to camp for two weeks AND i came back AND i didn't look or sound the same at all after two weeks away from my. Family and it was freshman welcome And i'm a sophomore now AND i go see MISTER i and we're singing at the freshman. Welcome it's the first time he saw me after the, summer AND i, said, hey mister, iye and he, goes, oh thank, GOODNESS i, said what he, goes you finally grew up and your voice dropped a little bit because that year would have been guys and, dolls and that year would have been nicely Nicely.
Speaker 3: Johnson so you had me in mind for the, role but he, SAID i can't put squeaky Little Jeff gertschen up. There he needed a little bit.
Speaker 1: More and, Listen i'm still not a, man but a little bit more of a man up there on.
Speaker 3: Stage So i'm still really grateful to Mister.
Speaker 1: Indvina sorry totally going off, here BUT i think everybody has a teacher or a coach that they look back on that really means a lot to, them and for me that was MISTER. I the best, teacher choir, director theater director did all of our shows through high school the.
Speaker 3: Best so MISTER, i thank you so much for. Everything, okay back to the, car.
Speaker 2: Right last one Is Al bumbrie one of my favorite people That i've ever been. Around Former oriole and a really Good oriole center fielder in the. Seventies he was a little, guy but really strong and really. Determined you, Know. Vietnam vett played basketball in, college was a Good Major league baseball. PLAYER i should not tell you the, story But i'm going. TO i just want to make sure it's about. Him. OKAY i ended up in a gym in the, offseason many many years, ago And i'm playing basketball And Al bumbrae is guarding. Me i've never played against him, before AND i took him to the bucket first time and. Scored second, time second time down the, COURT i took him to the bucket and. Scored and he was so angry that this dinky little sports rider had taken him to the rack twice that he picked me up at the end line and guarded me the rest of the night as if it Was game seven of THE Nba. Finals so when we talk about the competitive nature of these baseball, players it's not just in, baseball it's in. Anything if there's a, competition they have to. Win and for two, possessions Al bumbrie did not, win and that was enough for, him and he shut my water down for the rest of the. Night it was very. WELL i was always impressed with how Competitive albumbrie, is which is and here's the competitive Nature Jet Mike flanning in the Late Great Mike flanning and told me the story once That Dennis eckersley Hit albumbrie with a pitch And bumbrie was certain that he hit him on. Purpose so he goes like three years without Facing Dennis eckersley, again And bumbray's on base when he, scores And Dennis eckersley is backing up home plate as the pitcher's supposed to, do and Al bumbrie crosses home plate and just steamrolls and Knocks Dennis eckersley into next, week making it look like it was an. ACCIDENT i didn't see him. There he was backing up the. Plate so he gets back to the dugout And mike flanningan goes b that was his, NICKNAME B what was that all? About and he, said he hit me with a pitch AND i had to get him back And Mike flanning goes ow that was three years. Ago Had be, SAID i don't, care it really hurt and he had to get back out of. Him that's how vengeful these baseball players. Are and it's that spirit and that competitive nature that Made, albumbrie A vietnam, veteran a really good high school college basketball player and a very Good major league baseball. Player surprised at, All, Jeff.
Speaker 1: NO i, mean and the game has changed so much you would never see that happen, today just with the rules of player safety and, fights and it's a different. World no one's getting beaned anymore like they used. To no one's knocking out catchers like they used. To no one's taking out second basement like they used. To the game has, changed and part of, me though it's safer, now part of me misses those, days.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff and last thing about the word Bean we've been over this pet. Peeve, okay if somebody gets beaned in a, game it means he got hit Where jeff in the. Head in the, head it's called your. Bean if you get hit in the foot or hit in the, butt you weren't, beaned you were, plunked you were hit whatever you want to call. It but anybody who got beaned means he got hit in the. Head AM i being a pedantic little twit WHEN i say?
Speaker 1: THIS i thought it was because Mister bean always acted like he had just gotten.
Speaker 3: Hit in the.
Speaker 2: Head, right you were watching Mister bean WHEN i was watching, Baseball but he was he is was very very. Funny, Okay so that's the three cards in the.
Speaker 1: Bathroom all, Right, Dad let's wrap it up today with A Team. Tim given that today the day of filming Is President's, day you have an all Presidents Team. Tim NOW i want to add a little asterisk. Here we understand that my dad has done A Team tim Of president's. Before but this is where you come, in handy members of the. Family if you have A Team, tim you want to have red on the. Air we could use it because we're going to be doing this a lot more this. Season great game or what dot com? Message Ok?
Speaker 2: Right, Now, jeff let's also be clear. Here i'm not coming up with the greatest players at each position who have a president's. Name i'm not doing. That i'm doing this for the fun of the, team And i'll explain that as we go. Along catcher Is Gary. Carter Reggie jefferson is our first. Baseman Homer bush is our second. Baseman John, kennedy how great is? That is the third. Baseman and he played with The senators in the early, sixties like When John kennedy was the president and then finished his career with The Red. Sox like how fitting is? That Ron washington is the. Shortstop Louke clinton is one, Outfielder Trot nixon. Another Mooky. WILSON i could have gone With Hack wilson, there But mookey is a little more well known to our younger people. Today Craig munroe is the designated. Hitter and, Again, jeff this is Where i'm veering to try to make a. Point instead of Having Walter, JOHNSON i ever tell YOU i went To Walter Johnson High. School instead of Having Randy, johnson they are two of the five greatest pitchers maybe of all. TIME i Picked Pierce johnson who's still. Active Why Jeb Pierce johnson to presidential?
Speaker 1: Names, okay and if you recognize and if you've heard on the, show we named our daughter more or less after a. President president. McKinley McKinley kirkchen is her. Name AND i always like the Name pierce because it's a, president, Right but unfortunately my wife dated A pierce in high, school so we cannot will not be a boy Named pierce in The kirkchhen, family.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay i'm not Picking Reggie jackson on this team Because i'm. Pitching Picking Grant jackson as one of our. Pitchers, again a double presidential, Name Reggie. Cleveland always loved. That Jermaine Van, Buren Brad, lincoln and this is our specialty. Guest he's not a president. Name but, uh there used to be a little left hander who pitching the big leagues in the eighties Named len White. House he's on the. Team i'm breaking. Tradition it's not a presidential, name but his name Is Lenn. Whitehouse AM i allowed to put him?
Speaker 3: On you can put him.
Speaker 1: On i'm just a little disappointed That Grover Cleveland alexander did not make the.
Speaker 3: List, Here, dad.
Speaker 2: His last name Is. Alexander how many presidents are Named alexander?
Speaker 1: Zero, WELL i Mean Alexander hamilton Good, mention not a, president but nonetheless a founding.
Speaker 2: Father Grover Cleveland. ALEXANDER i told YOU i Got Reggie cleveland on the. List what else do you? Want? Ah, okay all, Right, LOOK i Know Grover Cleveland alexander is.
Speaker 3: And grover what okay is What grover?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: What Grover cleveland is the? President it is versus the last.
Speaker 2: Name you went just with last. Names, Okay, look it's my. List if you have a problem with, it Just i'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry email me.
Speaker 1: Directly i'll get back to you in three to seven business. Days all, RIGHT i don't have a problem with, You, Dad i've never had a problem with.
Speaker 3: You you're the.
Speaker 1: BEST i have to just end this, episode and you're gonna hate.
Speaker 3: Me you're gonna hate, me But i'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Anyway you took care of my daughter this past weekend AS i drove down To Kings, Mill virginia to celebrate my best Friend Alex parker getting engaged to its, amazing beautiful way better looking than him Fiance. Haley congratulations to the two of. Them you spent twenty eight hours taking care of my. Daughter you slept in a bed with her because she was having trouble falling. Asleep for those who don't, Know Tim kirkshin the, grandfather he's the best grandfather you could ever ask.
Speaker 3: For you Know Tim kirkschen the, writer you Know Tim kirkhin.
Speaker 1: Podcaster he's an amazing, grandfather an amazing, son a great, husband and a great.
Speaker 2: Dad so thank, You, jeff thank. You and the one STORY i didn't tell you IS i told McKinley, HOPE i, Said daddy is coming home today and she said. Who that's what she, Said come. On. No she was asking For bobby And daddy for most of the, weekend but we got her.
Speaker 1: Through so all of fu, well thank you so much for, listening and as, always thanks for being a partner of our.
Speaker 3: Family