Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: To dusk settling on the seventy sixth th Reese's Senior Bowl, one of the most powerful games.
Speaker 3: That we have ever seen. Will get into that.
Speaker 2: We are fired up to welcome you into our Reese's Senior Bowl recap show. I'm Brett Lewis, joined here by our lead draft analyst that NFL Network, Daniel Jeremiah, and the executive director of the Reese's Senior Bowl, Jim Naggi. So, guys, we've had a great run here right started with our roster reveal show here on NFL Network and on the Move the Sticks podcast, we get Donomobile, three great practices leading up to just an incredible game, an emotional game. Again, we'll get into that, but Jim, as you look back on the week, man, what stands out to.
Speaker 4: You, Well, it was another great week, probably our best week we've had in terms of roster weather. And then, like you just said that, the storybook ending with the jack best touchdowns, So incredible week. You know, I think that the d line group held up as advertised. You know, there was a lot to talk about. All these top fifty players come in on the d line, they had a great week. I think the offensive line, you saw some guys really step up on that side of.
Speaker 5: The ball that really helped their case for the draft.
Speaker 4: And then you know, you ended with the quarterback class. There was a lot of high profile names in that group. You know, I thought Jackson Dart, Jalen Milroe, Dylan Gabriel, Tyler Shuck and really ended it right there with Seth Seth Henigan from Memphis on that game winning drive.
Speaker 5: Those guys showed well too.
Speaker 4: So just a lot a lot of people to be grateful for, you guys know what it takes to put this game on down here, from our office staff, our scouting staff, the volunteers, just so many people brought together such a great week.
Speaker 3: Without question.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean it's so valuable for us to get a chance to see these guys, you know, live and in person. Obviously a tremendous value for the NFL evaluators to get to see them against the best of the best, not just in the game, but of course in the three practices that provide plenty of memorable moments. Ont of standouts from the practice week in Mobile. These are a few that stood out to me over the course of the three days. Thought Max Harston was maybe the most consistent cover corner that we saw in Mobile. Kyle Williams, as you saw on that practice recap man, he's got some juice with his releases.
Speaker 3: And his route technique.
Speaker 2: Mason Taylor is the natural at tight end, certainly fitting coming from the Hall of Famer. Jason Taylor's his dad, and then Gray's Abel I think unofficially took the most one on one reps in the history of the Senior Bowl and won most of them. And then Mike Green, of course from Marshall had the viral clip of the Senior Bowl with his rep against Josh Connerly so Jim. So many great moments from the Senior Bowl. It's funny, like you heard DJ and I's voices there as we were seeing that live, Like I had the same reactions watching some of those plays again, because there were a ton a ton of standout moments.
Speaker 4: I'll piggyback on the first guy, Greys Abel, right, I mean small school guy. Really proud of all the small school offensive linemen. I thought a bunch of this guys stepped up. You know you're not supposed to helmet scout, but if you look over my left shoulder, I think it's fair to helmet scout the North Dakota State offensive line. I thought, you know, we had Cody mock down here a couple of years ago, played all five spots. I think Graysabel had a very similar week to Cody. And you know, Cody's had a good first couple of years there in Tampa Bay. I think Graysabel put himself in position to be the first center taken in this year's in this year's draft, now that people have seen him play center, and then if you flip it over to the American side. One one standout for me was Walter Nolan, the defensive tackle from All Miss. I mean, this is a guy not a lot of people know. He gutted through a lot injury wise during the week. You know, he could have easily packed it in.
Speaker 5: He did not. He saw the week all the way through.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for like a disruptive, penetrating three technique, all those tools were really obvious. We're seeing him in some of the clips right here. This guy jumps off the ball. So teams needing that three technique that could add to their pass rush next year.
Speaker 5: To me, Walter Nolan's that guy in this year's draft.
Speaker 6: And I like what Walter Nolan accomplished during that week. And you talked about that twitch that jumps off. He wasn't alone. I mean, this is the deepest position in the draft at defensive tackle. And Darius Alexander, what he did coming out of Toledo with his length and size and then seeing the twitch and explosiveness during the week of practice, to me, that was one that just jumped off the tape when you're watching those one on ones and looking what he was able to get done this week again in a very very deep field. Then on the other side, I'll go to Miles Frasier from LSU, who's got some positional flexibility, can play tackle. I love him at guard. I think he's got a chance to really plug and play as a guard with a big frame, a big physical guy who's got good feet. So it's a trench's draft. It's a line of scrimmage draft and no shortage of players to choose from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we saw plenty of it.
Speaker 2: Those just a couple of the names that popped out to us, a couple of the moments that stood out to us from the practice week, but there were plenty more once we got to game day there inside Hancock Whitney Stadium in Mobile. And when we come back, we'll head back to one of the most emotional, powerful and talent filled.
Speaker 3: Games that we've had in Mobile.
Speaker 2: Five Vreese's Senior Ball in Mobile had the stars out all week and not just on the field. This year's festivities featuring a free concert on January thirty first at Cathedral Square headlined by a country music star, Sammy Kershaw and the Eli Young Band.
Speaker 3: Great time for all and then of course we got to game day.
Speaker 6: Well, you're not gonna find a better finish to any game than the one we saw there with that Jack Besh touchdown. He was one of the five guys that stood out with big time game performance. Oli Gordon there not only running the ball you saw with the touchdown pass a big two hundred and thirty pound running back from Oklahoma State Landon Jackson was he was a dynamo coming off the edge really really long, really explosive. Was getting after the quarterback all day long, Saveon Jones inside for LSU some really quick wins, a dynamic, explosive interior rusher and then Seth Henigan kind of gets lost because of the Besch touchdown. We forget where that came from, which was Seth Hennigan, who had an unbelievable game, very efficient, capped it off with a game winner there at the very end.
Speaker 2: A month before the scene your Bowl, Jack Besh and lost his brother Tiger Bash, former Princeton football player, in the terrorist attacks. On New Year's Day in New Orleans, played with a heavy heart, wearing Tiger's jersey number seven on his chest.
Speaker 3: With seven seconds left.
Speaker 2: On the clock, he caught that game winner from Memphis Tiger quarterback Seth Henigan.
Speaker 3: Tom Pellisera got the raw motion from.
Speaker 1: Besh one month ago today, I think your brother passed away. Take me to just the emotions of coming to this event and then obviously being able to score the winner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been surreal just to be able to come and take place in this game. It's a goal you set for yourself, you know. But if I had the option that if I came here, had the worst week ever, ruined my draftstock, But that means I could give my brother a hug right now, you know, I would take that, you know. But but on the flip side of that, I don't think I could have had the week that I had if if all that would have happened. So, like I said, you know, his wings were on my side and him and Jesus Christ for the reason I was able to do all of this.
Speaker 2: Man still get some of those goosebumps thinking about that and about what that moment certainly meant. And as he was certainly a standout won the MVP, and rightly so DJ. But looking at a couple of the other players on that list, Ali Gordon, obviously we're gonna have to go scout his arm now and then Landed Jackson was shot out of a cannon in that game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he's so big and just so rangy and long, and he's winning right off the snap and when if you're a little bit late getting out of your set, he's going to hit you with that long arm and it's over. So it was an impressive, impressive game for him. And we could go a laundry list of guys that were standouts in that game. But man, that's five years from now, that's going to be known as the Jack Besh Senior Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh, without question, And Jim, I would imagine you got no problem with that, with the way that it all ended up playing out. Who are a couple other guys that stood out to you in the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you couldn't have scripted the ending with Jack any better. But one of the guys on DJ's Saveon Jones from LSU, you know, to me, one of the most scheme diverse, versatile defensive linemen in the class. And again, a lot of times you got to go back and watch the tape to see who played well in the trenches. I mean, this guy was in the backfield all day, so he was an easy guy to notice. And I'm glad he had a good game because a lot of the other SEC defensive linemen got a lot of love during the week. And then Saveon steps up and has this type of game. And then to flip it over on the other side, I could have win a lot of directions on the national team. I mean, they had seven sacks on that team, but I went with Sebastian Castro, the defensive back from Iowa. You know, let's just say the national secondary took some hits before game day, so Castro had to play forty two.
Speaker 5: Of the fifty nine snaps in the game.
Speaker 4: He had a PBu, a force fumble, a fumble recovery, a big stop right here on third down.
Speaker 5: That was a big play in the game right there. You know, talk about a chess piece.
Speaker 4: This guy played reps at NICOL, He played free safety, played outside corner. So as we moved through the draft process, this is going to be a guy that dB coaches just fall in love with.
Speaker 2: What do you know, a dB from Iowa has incredible instinct, great fundamental tackling as we saw throughout the week. All right, much more on the way here in our recent Senior Bowl recap show. When we come back, talk to another one of the standouts for both the practice week and game day at a couple of those sacks that Jim was talking about. Femi Ola da Show joins us. Next, just a glimpse right there into the passion, the energy and the talent that ol femi Ola Dejo from UCLA brought to Mobile in the Senior Bowl and in the three practices leading up to the game. And he joins us, now, Femi, thanks for being here with us. Man, excited to chat with you. Just getting a glimpse there of you wearing the microphone we got to kind of see your infectious personality, the way you love the game.
Speaker 3: How'd you feel like that played in that week.
Speaker 2: Of jam packed activities, both practices, games, and all things going on with NFL teams throughout the week of the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, great question and one thanks for having me today. But man, I think it just allowed me to have a good mindset throout the way and just you know, have a attitude where it's an opportunity and a blessing to be here and just compete and to have fun and to embrace the moment. I knew going into the week there was a lot of talk that it was draining and a lot of things going on. But just had to have fun, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean when you get a chance to dig into your tape at UCLA see all the different things you can do in the different ways you were utilized. But to me watching and seeing you live there and then watching how you're used, you look like a pig and slop getting a chance to just rush the quarterback, pin your ears back and have some fun. How much fun was it to just cut it loose?
Speaker 8: It was incredibly fun. I mean, football is you know, I love football. And playing since I was nine years old. Just opportunity, like I mentioned, you know, to play football in February and to be competing against the best, and just to compete and just dominate and show my skills and versatility.
Speaker 4: I mean, good to see again to DJ's point, I mean, not a lot of people know you probably played off football linebacker for a lot of your career at Cal before where they move to you kind of down this year rushing the passer.
Speaker 5: But I want to circle back to what Ratt talked about.
Speaker 4: You were are we We give a good Guy award at the end of the week to the guy behind the scenes that you know brought the best energy, just a great guy behind the scenes that everyone on the support staff like.
Speaker 5: And now was you this year? Where does that come from?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: I want to tell you, we appreciate that what you brought to the week on the practice field behind the scenes, But where is that attitude come from?
Speaker 5: Because it's special, man, you what you got is special.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: I think it's just who I am and how I care myself and.
Speaker 5: Really my faith in Christ.
Speaker 8: Just really trying to be a great steward to whoever it is, and be humble, have a be a man of integrity and just you know, cheer everybody how you want to be treated. You know, you never know who you're talking to, what they know, or just what day someone's going to Just to be a good light. It's a Brian someone's day if you never know what it can mean to them.
Speaker 5: So very honored to receive that award.
Speaker 3: Well, it was obviously well deserved Femi.
Speaker 2: And and then just kind of going back to what Jim had mentioned there the position switch for you, right, I mean you were what ten games into playing edge rusher by the time you got to the Senior Bowl, right, because it happened.
Speaker 3: A couple of games into the season at U c.
Speaker 1: L A.
Speaker 2: By the way, a selfless move by by you as a you know, a guy playing in your final year there to make that move. You know, it's kind of bold on your part and on the defensive part, but obviously worked out very well. Where do you feel like you are in that transition at this point?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I think I found where I'm supposed to be at bustling on the edge. You know, now I feel I have the capability and the versus lived to play both, but most dominant on the edge, and I think within the move, like you said, it was for the team. It was the best way to get the best level on the field and just to overall produce as a defense and shouts, my dog Carson stepped up in right.
Speaker 5: I mean he killed it.
Speaker 8: I mean he's about to be probably the second line back off the board.
Speaker 5: So I'm proud of him. It's just texting him. So I'm very.
Speaker 6: Grateful for those that are watching your training in Dallas right now, and by the story the looks of the folks behind you, I think you've made a few friends during your training process. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, with a lot of great athletes. Man, they just you know, playing around a little bit.
Speaker 8: We just did some combine work on the board, but with Nick Scoring, Baron Surrell, Schamar Turner, Brayden Swint, Savean Jones, Kenneth Grant, just so many great guys going around and to and to learn learn from and you know, set up their knowledge and their wisdom and added to my arsenal as well.
Speaker 7: So it's really fun out here.
Speaker 3: Femi.
Speaker 5: Last one real quick.
Speaker 4: Before you left Bobile, you talked about you felt like you got better down here over the course of the week.
Speaker 5: And again that's the cool part of you being so early in your development as a rusher. Just talk to that. Getting the NFL coaching for the first time down here mobile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 8: Funny enough, my edge coach was kJ Wright and when he played in Seattle, he was coached by Ken Norton junr. And that was my coach my junior year at u c LA, So it's kind of a trickle efface. So that was really cool. But coach Quez with the Browns from the coordinator, coach Bland. I talked to him this morning. Actually he's our DV coach, coach Anderson. I met him last year, so it was incredible, man, just talking up the knowledge and I think for myself, I really learned the football is football, just different terminology. But it was great over to be in the atmosphere and that environment and just to learn.
Speaker 5: What it will be like in the next level.
Speaker 2: Well, just one of the many valuable pieces of the Senior Bowl experience, certainly that Oloa Femiola Dejo took full advantage of throughout the week.
Speaker 3: Fami, thanks for being with us man.
Speaker 2: All the best to you as you get started here with the combine and then of course all the way down to the NFL Draft.
Speaker 5: Thank you, buddy, thank you so much having going.
Speaker 2: For so many of the Senior Bowl attendees. The next stop is Indianapolis. Back here with DJ and Jim. Jim. Who's a couple of guys that maybe you're looking forward to seeing get out there on the Turfet Lucas Oil Stadium that were down in Mobile.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: The first Mobile's fastest man Darien Porter Corner from Iowa State. Over the last seven years, there's only been five guys at twenty two miles per hour on our Zebra Technology GPS. Four of the five and run four three five are faster, so Porter's gonna blaze. The other guy would be Shamar James, the linebacker from Florida. This guy was our fastest linebacker, the seventh fastest overall player in the game this year. The only guy's faster four DB's and two wide receivers. So Shamar James is another guy who had a great week, kind of flying under the radar. Look for him to do some big things this week in Indy as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I look forward to watching those guys. I'll just throw one more in there for fun Tedes Johnson. We saw from Oregon. Nobody could cover him during the week of practice. He is going to run fast and all the change of direction stuff. I expect it'll be off the charts.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: One more small school guy that will give a shout out to Marcus Yarns from Delaware who we were told was running north of twenty two on the GPS coming into Mobile. He showcased some real fluidity I thought, especially running some of those routes and catching balls from quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: So excited to see that.
Speaker 2: When he gets down there on the field in indianputa pl us.
Speaker 3: Jim. Can't wait for next year. Man, let's get it rolling. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: You are in our Senior Bowl recap show and can't wait to see everybody
Speaker 3: At the combine from any