Speaker 1: From Marhard where Innovation of Money and Power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed lud Love.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heide, Bloomerg's world headquarters in New York.
Speaker 4: And I med Lolo in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: Coming up Apple, it rebounds in China as iPhone shipment's spike in April. We bring you the details and the discounts driving the moves US.
Speaker 4: We'll have full crypto coverage. Ahead is Bitcoin and Ether Retreat and.
Speaker 3: We discuss all things AI as musks XAI raises six billion dollars, an open AI adds an oversight board. All that and so much more coming up ahead. But first let's go to these public markets. And there's a lot of macro dat to be digesting. This week shortened training week thanks to the holidays. It was in the US and the UK. But we're up five ten percent on the Nasdaq. As we do see sentiment recovering, you see home sales recovering too. With this strong economic data, what then does the FED do? It seems though for now, we're still pushing long technology, even in the face some hawkish sentiment coming around the Federal reserve.
Speaker 5: Two year yield just down a little bit.
Speaker 3: That we've got some key auctions coming two year, five year this week. How will that see demand respond to that supply. For now we're saying, actually, just yield to tick a little bit lower. We're still at elevated levels. New York crewed up two point two percent. This is more of geopolitical risk once again, concerns happening in the Middle East. Keep an eye on commodities, not also is happening in the world of risk assets. Let's look at bitcoin for a moment. Look, we're down under pressure more than two percent coming off of our low's ed It's notable that there's sixty seven thousand dollars trying to factor in what happens that nine billion dollars of bitcoin, the value of bitcoin held by Mount Gox creditors. Will we start to see some of the movement within those wallets where we see creditors regain the bitcoin, Well, we see finally them able to sell.
Speaker 5: That's a key question.
Speaker 4: Or what have you got on the micro There's going to be a really big focus on semiconductors throughout the show and on Ai. We're going to go to our team around the country to talk a little bit about that. But in Vidio is the biggest points boost on both. Then as that one hundred s and P five hundred, the story that we're going to focus on is Elon Musk's Xai closing that mega funding round. But the next step of the conversation is well, they'll probably use the Nvidia H one hundred as a cluster to train their large language models. There are other names doing well by association. AMD is coming to market more and more with its three hundred x dell by association, with Nvidia looking strong also one of the biggest gainers in that context, and Intel feeling the love a little bit as well. And then there's Apple. So we're zero done on this data from the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, Bloomberg crunches the numbers and it looks like last month. In other words, April iphoneshipment in China jump fifty two percent year on year. Things are improving. That The backstory is that for most of twenty twenty four, Apple and some of the resellers have done a lot of discounting in China to get that smartphone market going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly, And we've got a factor in there for what this really points to in terms of Chinese consumer demand, and Agrana is here with us some reallymergan intelligence and we try to piece together the picture of a very important consumer base to Apple and ultimately discouts are working.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, one of the things is we have had nothing but bad news coming out of China for a fair amount, I would say, now, but when you look at it, it seems that the China situation for Apple is more cyclical in nature and not structurally people just giving away the phone. So I think it's a good news for China, mean for Apple. But at the same time, we are also not hop you know, harping a lot of these numbers into our calculations of sales data because one of the things we saw in the in the last quarter, even though Jan Feb sales were really bad, but Apple came out and said that, you know, their mainland China revenue grew. So I'm not extrapolating this information down to revenue. But you know, from a sentiment point of view, I think this is good news for Apple, all right.
Speaker 4: One of the drivers of sentiment among the Chinese consumer has been discounts and incentives. We're entering June, which is kind of another modern day period of sales events in China. How sustainable is it to rely on that?
Speaker 7: So I think it's, you know, something new that Apple has to grapple with. Before this was a brand that did not, you know, go out and give sales in China. But we have seen that, I think two times in a row now that that's one way to drive the channel to make sure they don't have a butt built up inventory.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 7: I think it's going to be a partner in June because if they do decide or they do announce decent enough features of AI in their phone that could potentially lead to a better referce cycle this winter, then they need to get those older phones out, you know, as soon as possible. Otherwise, you know, you're stuck with all those phones, and I mean there's no sales.
Speaker 8: There at that point.
Speaker 7: So I think it's important for them to continue this momentum at this point.
Speaker 3: And will WWDC be the momentum driver going into June?
Speaker 9: I think so.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think we have heard a lot of good news, but at the same time, the stock's already done so well even ahead of those news. Now, I think by the fault, Apple itself may not have those amazing features, but if it's able to announce as Mark has alluded to a partnership with Open AI, I think that will tell people that, you know, Apple, even if they don't have their own technology, they're okay to license that from the best vendors out there. And with over a billion phones out there with people's hand, I think they can give a boost to any AI vendor who's going to give their technology to them.
Speaker 4: Blueberg Intelligence Senior analyst Santa rag Rana and all things Apple, thank you so much. Meanwhile, and sticking with China, the country is set up largest ever semiconductor investment fund to propel development the domestic chip industry. The fund, worth forty seven point five billion dollars, is the latest effort from Beijing to achieve self sufficiency as the US seeks to restrict its growth. Meanwhile, since Time Group co founder Ju Bing says, China's domestic AI chip makers and making fast progress in closing the gap on international leaders listen to this.
Speaker 10: There are shortage of resources here in Asia in general. For instance, to the shortage of compute. I think in general it's like the ten times our gap of the compute resources that we have here compared to the US leaders. But I think the Asian market is never lack of talents and never lack of data. So in terms of talents and data, I think eventually we will also be able to, you know, even though that we have lack of compute, we're able to, you know, make sure that we squeeze the last beat of the compute.
Speaker 3: Fascinating global take on the necessities of compute.
Speaker 5: Let's just talk chips a little bit more.
Speaker 3: But from the Texas Instruments perspective, we have an activist investor on our hands. Two and a half billion dollars worth of Texas Instruments is how much Elliot Investment Management has just taken in the company. What do they want? And improvement and free cash flow arout three ten percent.
Speaker 4: This technology, it's the air hardware names, the kind of semiconductor names in AI space and some others and chips that are leading the charge this Tuesday morning and videos up five percent, continuing to push fresh record highs. The story we'll get to you later in the program is Exail Musk's AI company raising significant money, the assumption being they will train current future gen models on the H one hundred series, and by association you see names AMD and Dell. That's so closely aligned within video at the moment higher texas instruments. Kray was just talking about more muted now three tens percent higher, but it had been much higher. As Elliott takes a significant stake and is concerned about free cash flows, there is an excellent conversation to be had with Mazuo's America's desk based analyst Jordan Klein. You have your ear to the ground, so to speak, more than anyone that I know. Let's start with in video, right, you know, the AI story is well told, it's well traded. Now, how much do you think the activity in VideA this session is that oh Xai is going to buy a whole load of H one hundreds or is it kind of treading water to the stock split that's coming in June.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks for having me ed.
Speaker 11: I think it's probably seventy eighty percent the mask XAI story versus the Starlex split. I mean, I definitely think that that stock split is going to continue to pull in retail investors. I don't think institutional money managers care so much. They're pretty much all long and overweight this stock. But I think retail investors seeing a ten for one stock split, and it's coming up soon, so that'll get people more active in the near term. But anytime you see a headline six billion in financing, you've got to assume the line's share that is not hiring people. It's actually buying compute infrastructure, which is going to be pretty good for in Vidia.
Speaker 3: Are they, therefore, these long and overweight institutional investors right to be so focused on in video? At what point do we see further divisification going on?
Speaker 11: Hand Jordan, Well, that's a great question, and I think you're really starting to see it accelerate beyond just in Vidia. I mean, if you pulled up a chart of Qualcom, you wouldn't You probably wouldn't know that Qualcomm's up the same amount as in Vidia over the last In May, they're both up about twenty eight percent, pretty unbelievable, But no one really talks about Qualcom because it's not a direct AI story. The other thing is memory stocks have been just you know, on a blistering pace higher this year, particularly Micron SEMIICAP Equipment, Taiwan Semi who makes all these chips, and the other group that I think is really catching attention as these cyclical analog semis like Texas Instruments, analog devices, microchip that have started to call a bottom in industrial demand with you know, expectations that demand will start to improve later on this year.
Speaker 4: I want to linger on Qualcom just a moment longer. I get what you're saying. We actually do talk about Qualcom quite a lot on this program, Jordan, to be fair, but the story is about AI shifting from the modern day version of the computer, which is the server rack back onto device smartphone and PC. The concern that I hear all the time is Qualcom might be the main beneficiary in the first instance. What happens if the consumer doesn't buy any of these devices.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a great question.
Speaker 11: I mean, I think that is the risk that unless you give consumers a reason to go out and replace or upgrade their smartphone or their PC or notebook, they're probably just going to sit there and use what they already have.
Speaker 8: These phones are so good today.
Speaker 11: I think that's why you need to see Apple and other you know, like Google, who controls Android, you know, create real new functionality and features related to AI that offer efficiency, productivity, real new things that you can do with your phone that you can't do with an existing phone to drive you to upgrade. If they don't do that, then I think it's just going to be all a marketing ploy and consumers going to are going to basically say, there's no reason for me to spend another eleven twelve hundred dollars to get a phone that's going to basically operate the same way. So the so the onus is on the ecosystem, the software. But I think it's going to evolve and develop faster than people think. So I think it a year from now a lot of people are going to be motivated to actually upgrade. The other thing is is if you hold your phone for longer, you're probably more willing to future proof a new purchase and say I'd rather just have the product that can handle AI, even if it's a year or two out, than buying something right now that can't.
Speaker 3: And I think all owners therefore is on WWDC that comes in June, is on understanding how we use aipcs. Microsoft trying to articulate that recently, Jordan, going back though to your focus on Analog, and you've been saying, look, this is being brought up more and more by investors. The news case today that an activist investor is getting into Texas instruments. Well, they want cashflow, they want rewards to shareholders. But what are you hearing that shareholders want from Analog right now?
Speaker 11: Well, Analog is probably one of the most forward looking groups of semis. They have a lot of exposure to auto, industrial, you know, communications, consumer, so they're very macro sensitive and you know, people tend to buy analog when they think estimates have bottomed, and in six months.
Speaker 8: Those numbers are going to start to go up.
Speaker 11: Pretty much what you heard in April and May from all these analog companies is that industrial, which is one of the biggest end markets for analog, has bottomed. You know, June July will be the bottom quarter, and that order rates and a book to bill will start to improve thereafter. Now we don't really know how fast, but they're saying the pmis are starting to show improvement globally and that should lead to you know, probably upward revisions by maybe late this year, but definitely in the next year. So that's why people buy these. They don't have AI, but that's actually good. They kind of diversify investors beyond just AI into more macrocyclical and markets.
Speaker 4: Your cell sites desk made some upgrades in the analog space last week. Having had a long holiday, wee can think about it. What was investor reaction to that?
Speaker 8: Well, I'll be honest, I didn't get any pushback.
Speaker 11: You know, sometimes on these upgrades people are like, you, guys are way too late. You know, this is going to be a poor call because the valuations don't support the fundamentals.
Speaker 8: I didn't get any of that.
Speaker 11: I get a lot of people asking, you know, is now the right time to buy these? They are up a fair amount this year, not as much as Nvidia and the AI trade, but they're up fifteen to twenty percent, and the valuations are quite high on next year's numbers, so they already discount or let's say, you know, assume a pretty good recovery from let's say the end of this year into next year. So that's where the pushback is is that isn't this all in the stocks already?
Speaker 8: Isn't it too late to be buying? You know? TI and ADI and microship.
Speaker 11: At these levels, and we don't really have a lot of visibility into the shape of the analog recovery. Is it going to be a V shaped recovery or is it going to be like a U or L shape recovery that takes a long time time. So still a lot of questions, But my sense is that if you keep seeing these stacks act well, even if the new flower is mixed, they're going to keep going up.
Speaker 4: Jordan klinem Zuo always plugged in. Okay, it's time for talking tech and in the news. Asia's e commerce leader C is under increased scrutiny by Indonesia's antitrust authorities for unfairly favoring its own delivery service and hearing C and its e commerce arms. Shoppy is alleged to have set up an algorithm that prioritized its own services over competitors. A follow up hearing has been scheduled for June eleventh, in which Shoppy's legal team will respond. Plus Home Dimotors has tapped more banks, including Morgan Stanley, as advisors for a potential IPO of its India units. This could be one of the biggest listings in India. Ever, the banks joined City, HSBC and JP Morgan, which could all raise about two point five billion dollars, as previously reported by Bloomberg, and healthcare payment software maker waste Star is looking to raise as much as one point zero four billion in an IPO that would make it one of the biggest this year. According to a filing, wastereters offering forty five million shares for twenty dollars to twenty three dollars apiece. The company filed for a NASZAK listing in October, but it has been monitoring market conditions as it weighs timing of a launch. Wastar plans to trade on the NASDAK Global Select Market under the ticker way Cara.
Speaker 3: Now let's turn our attention to other types of assets that people are training and these one's being digital, the world of crypto, and we've got so much to digest. We're still awaiting potentially a further decision from the SEC on Ether ETFs.
Speaker 5: Those are for issuers. Meanwhile, Bitcoin on.
Speaker 3: The downside, as you can currently see, that's after administrator's really been trying to step up efforts to return nine billion dollars worth of bitcoin from the failed mount Gox that was once the world's biggest bitcoin exchange. We've got to break it all down. I can turn of it just with us co CEO, co founder of August. You've got a platform basing design for the management and settlement of digital assets. And I'm just going to quickly dwell on some of the price pressures on bitcoin. Ultimately, this is a story of supply of people waiting finally for creditors to be repaid in some way and then maybe they sell out. But Mountgox always seems to overhang the market. Would it be a long term overhang?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 5: You know, as you.
Speaker 12: Mentioned, we have roughly one hundred and forty two thousand bitcoin, one hundred and forty three thousand bitcoin cash, and roughly sixty nine billion yen that's due to creditors.
Speaker 8: That being said, we've.
Speaker 12: Seen historically in the past where there is custodial movement for different wall preparations due for distribution, although both the company and the former CEO have said that that's going to likely be much closer to October thirty, first of twenty four this year, and so you know, I think a lot of this is very much narrative sell pressure as opposed to actual distributions that we're expected to happen.
Speaker 3: Les goes to the narrative of a four because is it me or did everyone get upended by this? There is so much debate as to why suddenly the SEC seems to have, against its own self and own desires, be allowing that to be an eth ETF coming sometime soon. We know that issuers have still got to get some sort of go ahead, But I wats your view on why this has happened.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean to your point around you know, everyone being relatively surprised and under exposed. You could even see it in polymarket So a prediction marketplace which earlier last week showed roughly five percent probability for the ETHTF approval, and that was then immediately repriced to roughly seventy percent, and then of course the approval announcement. And so I think what has been more surprising for everyone to see in the space is that we're continuing to see crypto becoming a center topic for the twenty twenty four presidential election. We obviously had the FIT twenty one. The Financial Initutional Technology Bill also get passed in Congress as well, and so that's been a full focus this year, and so we're going to continue to see that as we near the debate in June of this year as well.
Speaker 4: Will you take him by surprise, Hia.
Speaker 8: I certainly was.
Speaker 6: It's a good question, I would say again, not only you know, I myself am very bullish ETH and the entire ETH ecosystem, but we did see a number of our clients under exposed to ETH, and there was a large rotation into both ETH BTC EATH Salana rotation.
Speaker 12: There's a lot of anticipation right now around Salana ETF being next on the list. And you know, you really saw also the ETH ecosystem tokens outperformed. So you Sawlido, for example, that was up roughly forty percent, and in options a lot of activity.
Speaker 5: That said, implied.
Speaker 12: Volatility is still down and we're seeing muted activity since the announcement, and a lot of that is because Caroline, as you mentioned at the beginning, there's still questions around what the timeline is for the listing of the ETF itself. We've heard anything between the next week through end of summer, and so there's a lot of expectations right now over what that timeline will be, since as well the issuers themselves were caught off guard.
Speaker 4: Is too all right, I'm trying to get to the root of what the bigger picture is here. You know, we talk about Ethereum being the most commercially used blockchain. Kavita Goodzo's on the show with me on Friday saying that, well, if Bitcoin is digital gold, ether is digital oil, what's your kind of bigger picture on why this is important.
Speaker 12: Eth is truly one of the foundational pieces of the entire ecosystem today. If you look at where most of the activity is centered, it is centered around Ethereum and its layer twos, and without question, it's one of the most active chains.
Speaker 5: In a space.
Speaker 12: And so even though you've seen alternative chains come about, you know, Ethereum is still very much the main chain where most of the activity in the space is happening and where a lot of the total value locked still stays to this day. Even if you look at some of the upcoming token launchers, those projects are very ETH specific independent, and so, you know, I think the question here is that ETH is a core foundational token for the industry, and having that be accepted as an ETA is really the main narrative for us being able to bring crypto mainstream.
Speaker 3: That and in presidential election in the United States could have thought it.
Speaker 5: We thank you.
Speaker 3: I Cantarovich, August co CEO, co founder.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Lilimberg Technology. I love Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Caroline how I'm right here on Neil.
Speaker 3: Let's get you to check on these markets, because now we're managing to power through what had been a little bit of concern as we head towards an all important week from economic data perspective PCE number, that favorite inflationary data for the Federal Reserve, and indeed we still got some strong data that's been happening throughout the day. We've got sentiment looking pretty good, housing data strong. What does that mean for the offend? We're looking at managing and now's that one hundred to the higher side of three tenths of a percent.
Speaker 5: But on the downside we are.
Speaker 3: Seeing Europe closed lower ed and we're off by just six tens percent. Remember, we maybe have a slightly thinner liquidity this week all round, as we've had holiday shorten weeks both in the UK and indeed here in the US, I'm looking at bitcoin under pressure as we think about potentially mantgoxx smilar movements within the wallets of that previous big bitcoin exchange that went under all the way back in twenty fourteen, still nine billion dollars worth of bitcoin locked up.
Speaker 5: Will we start to see that move Will it's still that start to be sold.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to have a look at what's happening on individual movers. What's the microdata telling us on a company like mRNA Moderna down because we the run up that we saw last week, we had a record run ten days back to back of gains for this particular stock.
Speaker 5: We're just taking some profits, perhaps perhaps for Maderna at the moment.
Speaker 3: I'm looking what's happening though, for the likes of Texas Instruments.
Speaker 5: We talked about it.
Speaker 3: This is all about an activist investor taking two and a half billion dollar steak. This coming come of course from Elliott what do they want more cash? Please coming from Texas Instruments, but also keep an eye on other chip makers in video leading the child.
Speaker 5: Maybe this is why.
Speaker 3: We managed to see tech stocks do well and the face of some anxiety around data and the macro. We're up five percent on in video and that's all around the key story of Elon Musk raising money for xai ed and well that means for key chip makers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a story that we've covered step by step for a number of months now. Elon Musk's artificial intelligence startup Xai has raised six billion dollars in a bid to challenge his former allies over at open Ai. It comes less than a year after Xai's debut and marks one of the bigger investments in the field. Joining us now is Bloomberg's Kurt Wagner. We know the numbers, they published them in a blog, but I guess a good place to start is that he also managed to attract some very big name investors, those that you kind of want behind you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right, Alor Equity and recent horror with Sequoia Capital. You may realize or recognize that a lot of these names are also folks who invested in x or. You know what was Twitter when Elon took over, and so he's kind of tapped into a similar or familiar pool of investors. As you mentioned, raised six billion dollars. I believe the pre money valuation was eighteen billions, so when you attack on the six we're now looking at evaluation around twenty four billion. And what's still a little confusing is you know whether these XAI investors who are also invested in x you know what the terms or what the structure of that arrangement looks like. But you do see him going back to a very familiar pool of investors here.
Speaker 3: Well, interesting is Tesla has been under pressure and there's always that ongoing anxiety as to where Elon's focus really lies here at the moment. How much are we seeing this is well, he's frustrated by a lack of ownership of Tesla now and shareholder ownership and what he now wants to create when it comes to a supercomputer to power Grock AI.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I think the big difference here is that you know, investors in particular are just incredibly excited about Ai, more so than I think they probably were about Twitter. And so you know, you look at Twitter and you see him spending all this time there and think like, what's the business upside and it's not very promising. But when you look at an AI company, you know, the returns are much more exciting. Or at least you could imagine much more exciting. So if he's going to be distracted, I would imagine investors are more comfortable with him being distracted with Xai than they are with X right now, just simply from a business standpoint.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk has been saying a lot on X but I think it's worth just spending a moment cut and reminding the audience the relationship between X the social media platform and company, and Xai and how they work between the two of them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So Xai's main product, and really only product right now, is a chatbot called Grock, and it is trained using data from x and so you know, all the conversation that's happening on X is being used to.
Speaker 8: Train this chatbot.
Speaker 9: And Elon has talked about the importance of making groc very real time and how X is a differentiator there right because it's it's a platform that's full of news and commentary around current events and how that plays into Grox. So that's the relationship right now right here. Total speculation, but I don't think it's crazy to think of X as you know, kind of becoming a more formal part of x AI in the future. It would certainly, you know, take a little pressure off of the company. It would tie it to again, this this AI business model that I think people are very excited about, certainly investors are excited about. But right now, you know X Data Training XAI, which is the Grock output, and we see that product being integrated into X right now as well.
Speaker 5: And to be as truth seeking as possible. Co Wagner, we thank you so much for breaking it down.
Speaker 3: And of course that was what was being talked about by Elon Musk last week at the Viva Tech conference and some of his frustration with open ai, which of course remember back in the day he did help co create and then left. Let's talk about open ai right now because it has created a board committee to evaluate the safety and security of its AI models. Is a governance change basically made weeks after top executive on the subject resigned along with some deputies, and the company basically disbanded this internal team. I'm going to break it all down when Blueberg's Rachel Metz and that they're trying to make an effort here to show they are caring about safety, about alignment with humanity. But who is on this board and should we therefore take them at face value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed, actually, is that they said in a blog post that Sam Altman is one of the leaders of this board, as well as a couple of the board members, existing board members, and a handful of current employees. And then it sounds like they're going to include consultation without side people, and they need two of them. I mean, I think it's going to be interesting to watch and see how these people all work together and then like what kind of recommendations they actually come up with. We know that Ilia Subskiper, who had been the company's chief scientist and was involved in the ousting, the very brief ousting of Sam Altman, I disagreed with Altman about safety related issues. Ilia is gone now, as is his chief deputy, and so things are things are changing. It is important to say, though, that the company has long had lots of safety people working on safety across the company, so it's not like there weren't already people working on safety of models there. This is an additional layer.
Speaker 4: The timing is interesting that to former board members of open Ai pend and op ed in The Economists over the weekend basically saying that they are worried continue to be worried about governance of open in AI. You know it's difficult, Rachel, but does this new format or oversight board answer some of their concerns.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that it does. I would guess that they would say not really, because this is created with a lot of people that are already at open AI. One thing that also stood out to me is there doesn't to be a lot of diversity in this group, especially in terms of gender diversity, So that just on the on the surface, I feel like that's like a pretty obvious thing that is missing from there. But also if you have a lot of people that are already involved in the company involved in this kind of group, it's hard for me to see how you would get that much outside input that would then be taken seriously.
Speaker 3: And Rachel, I'm so glad you bring that up because then, of course, last week we saw that Meta has an AI oversight board.
Speaker 5: Guess what that is.
Speaker 4: For white guys? Yeah, blue most Rachel Mets. I think you know the issue of the people behind the models, that the actual human oversight is super important, and we're really grateful to you and the team on the AI team for all of the coverage. Boo Versus, Rachel MeTx, thank you. A lot. More to come here on Bloomberg Technology coming out. We're going to be joined by Framework Ventures co founder Van Spencer, and we're going to go back to that conversation about crypto and in particular the idea of spot ef ETF. Stick with us. We'll be right back. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: Right up platforms. Of course, we're talking crypto mining here. It's made an unsolicited nine hundred and fifty million dollar offer to buy arrival Bitfarms after the smaller bitcoin miner actually rebuffed it's takeover approach last month.
Speaker 5: Let's get to it. Bloomberg's Matthew Monks. They've been building up a stake and.
Speaker 3: Now they want to buy sort of against their own desires, it seems.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so this is really exciting. We have our hostle takeover situation in the bitcoin space or a mining space. This is a classic old school bear hug maneuver. They took a nine point twenty five percent stake in the target, they're going public with the offer, and they're effectively launching a proxy fight against the board. Put some new board members onto it. So you know, bitcoin is a whole new fangled thing, but this is like old school, classic M and A.
Speaker 3: And then not liking the governance, for example of farms after they've had some changing within corporate leadership. But I'm interested, Matthew, like, what does this tell us about consolidation in the newest space.
Speaker 13: Well, listen, big fish eats little fish. The bitcoin mining space right now is under enormous pressure following the having as which we all know, which really cut down the bitcoin rewards and really cut into the revenue of these companies. Riot isn't much better, stronger financial shape. It's got like eighty nine hundred bitcoin, seven hundred million in cash, and as you know, as you noted, the target has you know, got some CEO corporate governance challenges. So it's right for the taking.
Speaker 3: Really fascinating what we're going to be seeing in the crypture space, particularly as everyone worries about energy going forward to I think monks in the house, we appreciate you taking us through the old school in the new school, and you're going to be focusing a little bit more on the newest school of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dive deeper into the world of cryptod this time from the investors perspective. With Framework Ventures co found Events, Spencer joins us in today's VC Spotlight, and you know Events. Where we start is by asking if you, as an individual, were taken by surprise at the pace of conversation around a spot eth etf Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: We were one of the few firms that predicted, I think, on this show that it was going to happen. And we've still got a couple of months until it starts trading, so people have time to get into position. But Ether is the clear asset that should have the second etf. It has the most stable coins, it has higher feed based than Bitcoin, it has a dividend, it's deflationary. This is an asset that people want to own. And so I know the bears were prognosticating for quite some time about how the odds were ten percent or you know. Now, I think the line is that the Ethan flows will be lower than expected, but we'd happily fade that as well, and we're firmly in the camp that eth is going to be a huge beneficiary from these flows.
Speaker 4: Vance you said a couple of months, what leads you to believe trading will start in a couple of months and what you think the regulatory roadmap is from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the nineteen B fours, which is the first part of the process, had been approved, and that was kind of the crux of the political pivot that happened last week. Now you have to get the s ones approved, and you know, there's a lot of complexity in the s ones in and of themselves, but we view this delay as positive. You're going to have that same natural build up that bitcoin had once it looked like it was going to get approved. You're going to have additional sales and marketing that's going to happen. And I think the bigger thing is that, to some extent, eth is going to ride the codetails of all the access that bitcoin is created, the access into the ris, the financial advisors, the wirehouses, and so you know, you think about someone wants to put a dollar in the crypto, what do they do? When people think about the Magnificent seven, they don't go all in on one of them. Maybe they do a peanut butter spread. Maybe they go overweight one or the other, but you know, both or all seven of those are components of a smart investing strategy. We think the same thing is going to happen here.
Speaker 4: I don't really know where to go with the peanut butter jelly analogy. You got to if you're talking about nvidio, you've probably got a pretty thick peanut butter layer and a very small little jaml chunky. That's one way of putting it. I always do my best to be consistent and ask the same question consistently. This happens, and that is what are the principal differences in bitcoin spot etf ether spot etf But I guess what we're actually asking is the principle difference between an ethery and based blockchain and bitcoin blockchain.
Speaker 2: So Bitcoin's digital gold, right, and you know, you can view the rigidness of its roadmap. You know there is no future roadmap for bitcoin being either a future of a bug or a bug in the sense that you know, Bitcoin is going to be bitcoin for the next one hundred years. Eth is at the forefront of the tokenization movement that it's going to really define the next few decades of traditional finance. We're going to start with the stable coins one hundred billion dollars of stable coins that are on chain today, but now black rocks bringing on fixed income, people bringing on equities, people are bringing on commodities, people are bringing on private credit, and so ETH is at the forefront of that movement. And it's also just a very different asset. You know, it does about two to three billion dollars of profits per year. It dividends, is out. The asset itself is deflationary. You know, it's proof of steak. It's it's a very different asset than Bitcoin. I would say, it's more of a textile growth play. And if if bitcoin is digital gold, eth is Apple. It's building the app Store of finance. And just like people thought that, you know, the app store was a toy or a gimmick, you know, ten years ago, people are going to be really surprised at the uniqueness of the fees and and just the scale of the business that Eth is going to generate from the tokenization weight that's taking place. And it's literally think it's al Tutor Jones, it's all these guys, you know, they're all in the stream.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that the Van spencercle is that Ether is Apple. Kavita Gupta was on the show on Friday and said it's digital oil. If bitcoin is digital gold, Ether is digital oil. I'd love to talk try about kind of the ripple secondary effects of what might happen if the approvals come as expected. You know, we talk often in our Bloomberg use coverage on this program. The Ethereum blockchain is the most commercially used globally. There is a DeFi component to all of this. What is the sort of crystal ball into the future if the approvals happen in the cadence at which you set out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, you know, I think we take pride in you know, we manage just around one point eight billion dollars today. We're a venture firm at our core, but we play in the liquid markets as well, and we're one of the few firms that's bought nine figures of crypto pretty consistently on on open market exchanges over time. And I can tell you from first and experience that that moves the price pretty meaningfully. And eth is a much smaller asset than bitcoin. It's a much more reflexive asset. There's much less of it available. If you have you know, even pro rata the share of flows to bitcoin by market cap, that is going to make a significant impact in the market structure. And flows of crypto writ large, and so you can think about it back to twenty twenty. Twenty twenty, you know, Michael Saylor was on the scene. We were buying digital gold that was going to be the only asset that we were going to buy in that bowl run. And sure enough, you know, eth bitcoin. The ratio between the two went up three x in the span of three months. And I think with this catalyst, with the setup of the relative lack of supply and just the narrative that you know, these are not just you know, pet rocks that sit around and we call stores and value, but there are things that we actually build with as technology that's going to be a huge tailwind for ETH. And so it's hard to overstate just how positive we are. And this is kind of a surprising decision for a lot of people, the ETF, but this has always been baked into the cake for us.
Speaker 4: Thence you use the word political earlier in this conversation. It's an election year. We have a presidential election in this country where at least one of the candidates has tried to make crypto a battleground topic. Does this approval process for spot EFTF have any relevance to that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's sixty million of US in the US that hold crypto. There's hundreds of millions, if not a billion, globally that hold crypto. You know, in a lot of these emerging markets as well, there's more wallets on crypto accounts than there are bank accounts. Like, this industry is not going anywhere. And I think it's you know, the Democrats that have finally gotten the memo on this, and it's amazing to see, you know, the party that I call home finally pivot on this decision. And FIT twenty one, which is the Regulatory Clarity Bill, provides a pathway for stable point issuers, application developers, people want to tokenized assets to stay in the US, and that is so important. Tether, which I think is the you know, the thirtieth largest buyer of US treasuries is overseas. That is absolutely embarrassing. And we want those industries in the US. And so you know, we should be rooting for any growth industry with entrepreneurs and real technology to stay here. And I think that's finally what's happening politically.
Speaker 4: Framework Ventures, co found Events, Spencer come back talk to us later in the year. And let's see if the approvals came into your timeline. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Now, perhaps while you were celebrating, you weren't doing it.
Speaker 3: At the box office, a disappointing Memorial Day weekend for the movies furiosa Man Max Saga took in just thirty two million dollars domestically, while the Garfield movie came in close second thirty one point one million dollars.
Speaker 5: According to data from.
Speaker 3: Com School Now, the Furio results might be the worst performance for a number one film released on Memorial Day weekend in decades. This all comes as the industry bounces back from strikes remember writers actors last year, and a consumer shift to watching films at home now and Bloomberg Intelligence actually notes that, look, twenty twenty five has going to be much better film industry. That's when perhaps some of the strikes uncrystallize themselves. But ed we're having to depend on less marketing as well budget tightening.
Speaker 5: It's all about word of mouth and it's not really working.
Speaker 4: I find Furious so interesting because I saw it everywhere on social media. You know, Chris Hemsworth doing all the media events around the world, but I didn't go and see it and for me, it goes back to the idea of theatrical release at the box office or a streaming release. This weekend, I wasn't in the movie theater. I was at home watching Atlas on Netflix, which is the new Jennifer Lopez movie about her trying to take down humanoid AI that's gone rogue. So that's interesting. On the strategy side, was that any good actually was pretty good and Jennifer Lopez was pretty good in it. But one of the things that Chris palmery are editor notes in his column about the box office this weekend is they were unfortunate because there's some good stuff it's coming in the summer, and as you note twenty twenty five, there's a much bigger kind of pipeline.
Speaker 3: But just think about the hype around Oppenheimer and Barbie in the previous year. No wonder you're going to see perhaps year on year comparisons being tough.
Speaker 5: I mean, the actual fact that we came in.
Speaker 3: Well below the worst case scenarios being fought out here. It is what thirty seven percent down from this time last year's holiday weekend.
Speaker 5: At the box office.
Speaker 3: People are not wanting to spend in that way right now, and certainly like even though it's a rainy Monday, I wasn't thinking about getting and hitting the cinemas at the moment. I'm more thinking about, you know, how to do it at home?
Speaker 4: What one quick thing Garfield from my childhood, our childhood, right, like, why remake another Garfield? Just come up with a new movie please at.
Speaker 3: Some point, Well, if it's going to be frozen, take four or one thing like that.
Speaker 5: Sometimes these franchises they work out. Meanwhile, look that does it. With this edition of Really.
Speaker 4: Big Technology, it was a really busy start to a short week. So check out the podcast. You know where to find it, Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and it's carry noted like this is a really big week for economic data and markets. There's some earnings thrown in there as well. But we started talking about AI and crypto and I probably suspect that's how we'll carry on from New York City and San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology