Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Hell that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day? Edo Steak is that woo whoom? And Dan and tie me Tuesday, Anna Rubinstein, my good friend out there in the heart of the Midwest, Chicago, Illinois. Dan Rubinstein, Sir, welcome back to the show, my friend. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good, Tye, I'm good. I have I have spillover thoughts, I have verbala answers, I have whatever you need from I'm here for you, Tie, I'm here for the listeners.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot to get to. We aim to serve here on the solid verbal. If you're new here to our little college football pirate Chip, I am ty he is Dan Hit follow Hit subscribes that you don't miss any of our episodes.
Speaker 3: We do the.
Speaker 1: Recap episodes Saturday night at midnight. We do the preview episodes bright and early on Thursday morning. But wedd right in the middle is this here spillover episode. It's all the stuff from the past week that we've been ruminating over thinking about, didn't have a chance to give voice to what we did these Saturday at midnight livestream in recap of the week eight action. Yes, we are now approaching week nine. We can deal with that in our own time a little bit later on this week, but great to have you with us. We've got a new Verballer Top twelve poll that we're going to unveil here momentarily. We've got some news in the coaching world starting to trickle in. Took a little bit longer maybe than we thought, but starting to occur. We do have those leftover thoughts from week eight, and we're going to take a glimpse ahead at some of the big games this coming weekend as well as look at the weekday games and play a little game of well, I won't spoil the surprise at way? Oh okay, Averballer suggestion from our ardent supporters out at verbowlers dot com Dan loaded Hut can't wait. Why don't we start with our new verboler Top twelve pole, though we've kind of grown accustomed to starting here. Whenever we do these Tuesday spillover episodes, it is voted on by our paying subscribers out at a verbolers dot com. If you're interested, that's one way you can support the show, get bonus episodes, add free content. You know the deal at number twelve, it's BYU at number eleven, It's Indiana at number ten, It's Tennessee. Number nine, is Clemson number eight, LSU number seven, Iowa state moving up, just creeping on up, number six, Miami, number five, Texas, Yes, they drop down to five, number four, Penn State number three, Ohio, state number two, Georgia, and number one your Oregon Ducks, Dan thoughts, reactions, deep inner feelings.
Speaker 2: Who else received votes? Do you have that in front of you as well like you have thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, am I putting you on the spot.
Speaker 1: With thirteen would be notre dame? Okay, fourteen would be a and m okay. Fifteen is Alabama? Uh huh? And sixteen is the Army Black Knights ooh okay.
Speaker 2: So, as a Notre dame human, do you feel like they should have received more Top twelve consideration or you find because they are ranked higher than the eighty people?
Speaker 1: Right they are? They are? And no, The answer is no. I think, ok I think putting BYU in Indiana in front of them at this point is totally justifiable. I look, I have been a Notre Dame skeptic for a while now. Really ever since that n You game, I've You've been a Notre Dame skeptics since nineteen ninety three thirty three. I have struggled a little bit with where to put this team on that totem pole, and so it doesn't bother me to see them outside of our group's top twelve. I think there are varying opinions on that, but by and large it's the back half of the top ten if they're in at all. Right now, I do think if push comes to shove, if they keep winning out, it looks probable that they will continue winning out. Notre Dame will find a way into a playoff. There's almost no doubt about that. But certainly Army on the schedule in a few weeks, Navy on the schedule this week, which will preview on the Thursday episode. If you've got games against Florida State, they still got that game against USC as well to close out the year, So Notre Dame will have opportunities here, I think, to showcase what they can do on national television. YEP, But for the time being, this seems about right. To me, Iowa State at seven is the only team I really react to. And you know that I'm pretty high on Iowa State. I've been for a while. Seven feels high to me. Seven fields high to me. Based on what we saw, be inclined to put LSU above Iowa State just based on recent results and the poll if we look at the points, seems to dictate, dictate. Excuse me that there's a bit of a drop off after Miami. After Miami at six, that's when there's a lot of sameness, let's say, for the next five or six spots, and my sense that that's where our voting public really struggled to place teams in order.
Speaker 2: Okay, Interestingly, when I look at the back half of this top twenty five, I see a lot of danger, Like I see a lot of potential for dramatic jump ups. Whereas you're right, I mean, I don't think I would consider myself an Iowa State skeptic. But the way that the defense performed, or rather didn't perform against UCF just has me has me has.
Speaker 1: My eye a skance. I don't know if that's the right way to say. No, Well, I it just gave up so many big plays, you know, the big place.
Speaker 2: And look they won their clunker, right, That's what winning teams do. That's what good teams do. They have down weeks, but they still win in their down weeks. But when I look at the back half, I look at the ceiling of ole Miss, I know, not a great loss to Kentucky. I grant you the ceiling of ole Miss. The ceiling of Poise State has now one of the best laws in America. They've exclusively lost to the number one team in America, America's Oregon Ducks.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're Orgon docks. Yeah, America's Surgon Ducks. If you see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kansas State is looking stronger by the week. And we'll get into this a little bit more with spillover thoughts. My god, did their offense look clean? I don't know if the Kansas State equipment managers need to do laundry. Yeah, after how little West Virginia was able to get to them, and they appear to be especially Avery Johnson like he is, it's no surprise the quarterback is the identity right now.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is a grower. He is an absolute grower. May not have been a shower in September, but is growing into his role quite impressively. So I look at those two teams, Kansas State, Ole Miss, which.
Speaker 1: By the way, I should add if you want, I mean, we didn't really read these off. But if we want to go through the full top twenty five, I know ball Side please do. Boise State at seventeen, followed by Pitt Navy, Illinois, Kansas State, SMU, Old Miss Vanderbilt in the Zoo. That will be your full top twenty five. SMU another team that has vault potential. I have some leftover thoughts on SMU. I do.
Speaker 2: I imagine you do, because I have some leftover potential here. But there are leftover thoughts on their potential SMU, just with the rest of their schedule, with how the defense is.
Speaker 1: Peaking right now.
Speaker 2: It was Stanford this past weekend, So I don't know how much spillover you have about SMU Stanford specifically, but there's a lot of danger in this back half, and I don't know, like with what Texas's schedule, I don't have Texas schedule in front of me. Another at Vandy this week. Oregon schedule has opened up a little bit, like I don't know Miami, you're sure is going to take a hit here or there. Indiana is now and this is another spill over without Curtis Rourke for an indeterminate amount of time. Right, it's a Taven Jackson Indiana program right now. Just there's a lot of interesting wiggle room in this back half.
Speaker 1: All right, well, right in soliverbogmail dot com or we're going to have this posted out on our social media accounts. Chime in out there if you haven't had a chance to do so already on overbowlers dot com, comment thread or discord server, any of that stuff. We'd love to hear your thoughts on who's too high, who's too low? And again, if you go on out tiverbowlers dot com, you can sign up and vote in the poll next week. Every now and again, maybe next week I'll give out a few invites to vote. I've done that on occasion. That was a lot of fun. How do you feel about Penn State at four? It's fine, it's fine, slow down with the enthusiast, Well, it's okay. In our poll, Georgia's above Penn State, and I think that's right. That feels about right to me. I'm glad that they're getting the nod over. I'm not glad, but I think it's right that they would get the nod over. I think their performance on the road has earned them something. Yeah. Yeah, we'll find out what Penn State's all about in two weeks when Ohio State comes to town. But for the time being, anyway, I think it's I don't know. I don't have a problem with this. I don't have a problem with Texas at five. I think this kind of act up in a pretty good way.
Speaker 2: I think Texas is better, but Penn State hasn't lost and so and that's the time with them before does winning is better than losing no matter who you're playing. Penn State has won. Below Texas is where I start to see, like, as much as Clemson has grown, I want to see it against somebody interesting. But I think Clemson being the top ten is totally good. Tennessee winning as a skill. They won. That was a nice win. I just think there's so much volatility potential here between six and sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not ready to let this go. I was ready to move on. You're ready, I know, my business man. I'm hyped tie, I'm into it. You're not even a pole guy and you're into this poll.
Speaker 2: No, I'm into it because when I see it organized in front of me, and I look at AP poles and coaches poles and everything. But when I see top to bottom what the top twenty five is looking right now, I don't know. I get a little tingle.
Speaker 1: It's great. Let's get to some news, shall we. Okay, we do have some breaking news. Seth Latrelle out as offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. Brent Vnables made that announcement. They are turning the reins over to Joe John Finley along with Kevin Johns, who was formerly an analyst, formerly an offensive coordinator for Duke, but Kevin Johns was with Oklahoma in an analyst role. They're going to be kind of tag team in this. It looks like Joe John Finley is going to be sort of the main guy. We've got Andy Ludwig resigning as offensive coordinator at Utah kind of came out of nowhere. And we've got Mike Houston, the first head coach fired this season, fired by ECU. ECU lost a week ago, and it turns out that was the final straw ECU came into the season, notably with one of the better defenses in conference, but offense is always going to be a bit of a struggle bus, and as such, they decide that they are going to cut the cord. SEU, the first on the board, will confer coach an in reaction to these coaching maneuvers.
Speaker 2: You know, when you look at what Seth Latrell the hand he was dealt a little bit this year, and same with Andy Ludwig with quarterback injury, you say to yourself, on one hand, behind your back, what are you supposed to do with the receivers that are hurt for Oklahoma? With Jackson Arrold not working out? That said, as the offensive coordinator, you're supposed to help Jackson.
Speaker 1: Arrald to work out. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I know they had losses on the offensive line as well, and it's a tough schedule and there's a number of checkboxes there. But also you got to make chicken salad, and Oklahoma's ability to make chicken salads seem to get worse every week. And so obviously we're not privy to exactly what's happening behind the scenes, and or heads budding if you know, the communication was broken down whatever, But bigger picture, Brent Vnables has now fired a defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator in the lasts something like that.
Speaker 1: I feel like he had to do something though, I mean, the offense has been an unmitigated disaster.
Speaker 2: You risk total mutiny. Oh, I'm not saying it's the wrong move. I'm saying Brent Venables's ability to go after diagnose, connect with potential coordinator candidates. If it's not, we're if we're talking about both sides of the ball in ten months, where's the confidence that Brent Vnnibles is working out long term? I don't know if he has just has a small network because he was at Clemson for so long, or it was just unwilling to take a shot on somebody he didn't know or hadn't spent time with. Like, I don't know what the thinking was behind those two hires. Those were very much people he was familiar with, instead of like, what is the best thing to do in college football in twenty twenty four? In the SEC it wasn't Seth Latrell, it wasn't Ted Roof. So I'm calling into like the program vision right now of Brent Venables.
Speaker 1: Well, and I was going to bring up the ted roof thing. I mean, it's become a popular punchline on this show. I talk about the leaky roof often. But that was a guy that he sort of knew, right, And we have seen other recent instances of hiring the guy that you know, not really working out. Marcus Freeman did that with Jared Parker, right. We see how well that's working out at Troy at present, So you know, they had to do something. This offense was not in a good place. It is not solely because of the quarterback, but the quarterback is going to be the most prominent reason why that people I think cite and that will they won't they start Jackson Arnold? Will they go to Michael Hawkins Junior. You know, we've kind of gone a few cycles through this now, and I suspect if you're an Oklahoma fan, there's reason for frustration. This was a move that needed to be done just so not to forget about the locker room so you don't lose the fan base. Fan base was extremely frustrated. What do you think of this? Andy Ludwig resignation? At you tak Utah?
Speaker 2: So I think I looked this up Utah had like the one hundred and twelve points per drive offense has the most, has the one hundred and twelve points for drive offense thus far this year and Oklahomas at about one hundred and eleventh.
Speaker 1: They're right there, neck and neck.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if this was a conversation to say face, I don't know what the agreement was behind the scenes. I mean, always get fired instead of resigning just for money reasons. I guess severance, right, what that take that money? Yeah, I don't know if some sort of agreement was in place that he would get his severance, but you know, has the dignity to be the one stepping down because he felt like he wasn't able to get the most out of his players and that he should take the responsibility. Maybe behind the scenes there was something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I've got some thoughts on Utah. By the way, when we get to leftovers, I have well, by the way, it's not exactly a secret theory, but I have a theory on this decision. I have.
Speaker 2: I have a theory myself, and I think Utah just lost their their by far, their best recruiting, their biggest commitment. Aaron Dunn offensive lineman. They may have all a couple of pretty decent sized ones, and now Andy Ludwig decides to resign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't say it. Don't say Let's save it for the next segment. Okay, we're both going to the same place with this. Wait, i'd not have to finish a sentence no, No, you're not, because I know where you're going with it, and I don't need to steal my thunder. Okay, oh ty, I was gonna make a point before you could. Everybody listening knows where we're going with this. Okay, mm hmm. By the way, speaking of behind the scenes, I have a very small dog here that I'm trying to keep entertained while we are doing this episode. So far, so good. She's chewing on a box. But I'll keep you posting. They're both lady dogs. There are lady dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's all okay, And news wise, they Mike Houston also lost Mike Houstonie. He also lost to Charlotte a couple weeks ago, correct, which was probably like very close to the last straw. Let's see how you do against Navy. Yeah, the Tavian Jackson news is a bummer. Just in terms of news, I mean not Tavin Jackson, but that the injury Indiana is about Curtis Rourck. I hope Taven Jackson succeeds. I praise that completely inappropriately. David Jackson came in to look pretty good against Nebraska in the second half.
Speaker 1: We were calling him Raven Tavin last year. Yeah, for a moment like two weeks and there was a stretch. Any other news to you right now? That is newsworthy. I want to get into my spill over thoughts place, place place I have. I have some good ones from this past week. So we mentioned smu Dan smu Hammered Hammered Stanford forty to ten. The sp plus our trusted metric is projecting them to win their next five games over Duke Pitt, Boston College, UVA, and Cal understandably. So something that I trained in on when I was going through and trying to build one of my spreadsheet specials was this switch at quarterback to Kevin Jennings. Caught a lot of us by surprise because Preston Stone was pretty good last year and in the early part of the season. Obviously they had that eighteen to fifteen loss against Boy You that raised some myebrows. This is before we knew what BYU was going to become a that lost his age pretty well, to be honest, Yeah, but notably on the Kevin Jennings front. Right now, PFF has him ranked as the tenth best passer in the Power for And there are two really interesting trends in his game that I noticed and that I want people to watch out for moving forward. So it's it's a little bit of a spillover thought from the weekend and from the Stanford game, But I think broadly speaking, it's just it's a trend to watch as SMU rounds the bend and gets into some of these games. Here the rest of the way, his completion percentage when you blitz him is seventy nine percent. Wow, Okay, it is higher when you blitz him than when you don't. When you don't blitz him, his completion percentage is sixty percent. When you do, it's seventy nine. Loves his hot routes. Yeah, when you do get the pressure on him, the completion percentage comes way down, like fifty percent. And so I think the long and short of it with SMU is who can get the pressure without blitzing. And if you're looking at this in terms of the teams that remain on that schedule, if you know a little bit about defensive lines, you know a little bit about how some of these teams play, it's not that difficult to calculation to figure out who can and can't do that. Guy's a mobile quarterback. Most of his rushing guards come on scrambles, not designed runs. The game plan has to be getting the pressure without blitzing, keeping him in the pocket, keeping him in a spot where you're not bringing his legs into the equation. So I don't know if you're playing contains with your ends or what you're doing, but something to kind of keep him bottled up, prevent him from breaking outside the pocket, and then all of a sudden you got your receivers doing scramble drills. I think that's where SMU right now is finding a lot of success. And you know, Duke Pitt, Boston College, UVA and Cal maybe Cal maybe Pitt, maybe Duke, Like we could debate the merits of who can and can't do that, but I think that's probably the game plan, at least defensively when you're playing against a team like an I enjoy that. How many weeks into the season are we were pre week nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your hot tip for the rest of SMU's schedule is have a killer defensive line who can get pressure without help. That's the big the big time tie strategy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's okay, it's not a big time strategy. It's like, here's here's my strategy.
Speaker 2: Have a Heisman caliber quarterback and two bullet and a coff Receaver's a case in point.
Speaker 1: Pressure without blitzing gas. Of course, here's a case in point. Why bring this up? It wasn't all that long ago. On one of these Tuesday shows, I talked about the value of Louisville. This is early season. Yeah, early season Louisville being able to get pressure without blitzing. And I talked specifically about the game against Miami and how if they could do that against a guy like a cam Ward that would give them more success. Now, they didn't really have that success, especially in the first half. They didn't do anything to get any pressure on him. In the first half, they didn't even try to blitz and as such, cam Ward's sort of went wild. Second half, they started dialing up pressure. That's when the game got kind of wild. So this is of course not any foreign schematic advantage or anything, but I'm just saying this is what the numbers are showing. With Kevin Jennings.
Speaker 2: You can do more interesting things with four than just right send them straight at a quarterback, like you can do your stunts and twists and drop into zone blitzes and stuff, and you know, simulated pressure. There's all sorts of things you can do. But yeah, easier said than done. Because look, the connection between Kevin Jennings and I think it's r J. Maryland tight end has been thriving for I mean, Burschard Smith on the ground like they're able to adapt pretty quickly. The receivers seem sharp obviously, you know, Rehet Lashley is a sharp offensive mind. And by the way, just in terms of top assistance this year and Broils Award whatever Scott's is it Simmons or Simons, and he's been a Rhet Lashley guy for some time. He was at Liberty before. But that defense has done a remarkable job this year.
Speaker 1: It has all right, my next item, Yeah, we didn't talk enough about Virginia Tech this past week because they played earlier in the week. They beat Boston College soundly forty two to twenty one mentioned them as a lurker on our Saturday I mention it. We did mention them as a lurker. Everyone present, company included was high on this team at the start of the season, and then it cooled. Why did it cool because they lost to Vandy. Yeah, losing a Vandy historically kind of a black eye. Not as much the case this year.
Speaker 2: AP top twenty five program, vanderbil anchor down.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. They have also since lost to Rutgers in Miami, the Miami game. We know about the Miami game. They could have won that one. All three losses have been by one score. Again, there are some in there that maybe could have gone a different way. First Off, that Vandy loss, in hindsight is not bad at all. Even the Rutgers loss was not terrible. But to your point crazy well, but ye, to your point, I know you're starting to buy in on Virginia Tech, and I needed to go and look at the numbers to see if I was there too. Okay, there has been a trend emerging over the last three games. In each of their last three games, they have outperformed their projections. By about fifteen points. That includes the Miami game back in Week five, That includes every game since. What we have yet to see is both the offense and the defense both overperforming in the same game. But it seems like when you've got a team that very clearly is building some momentum, Dan, the writing is on the wall. Yeah, I mean you don't want to peek in early September. I think the writing is on the wall. I think it's going to start happening soon. I'm back. I am back in on the tech train. Is there room on the tech train for me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, there's room on what the Brent Priy massive hog, caboose whatever, that's what it's called. That's such like a specific reference that we at one point did a show in which we reacted to messageboard geniuses and somebody said, you can just tell Brent Priby as a massive hog. That's the way he carries himself, right, And we had to react to that. There are always gonna be there are these teams in every conference, and we can go through them. When we went through a little bit with the Lurkers or the Growers or whatever, that Virginia attack, You're right, if they can put it all together. I think it was the second quarter against Miami, yep, if they could be a little bit less streaky and just a little bit more decent all the time. I don't know who's on the back half of their schedule, but I suspect it's workable given your enthusiastic.
Speaker 1: Consistency is key. Consistency is key. All right, let's talk about that Utah theory. Now. Okay, so Utah lost thirteen to seven. It was the late night game on Saturday that we didn't get a chance to discuss. First off, it was a big win for TCU, gets them to four and three. It looks like they should be slightly favored and like four their next five maybe have a shot at eight, four, nine and three. That seemed impossible to me personally when we did our preseason stuff because I was just in on the under seven and a half of this team. I was convinced. But right now, I'm not gonna act like this is some sort of juggernaut. But four and three, the schedule in front of them is workable after going three and three the first six weeks of the season. Right now, TCU, if you're a TCU fan, I think you gotta like the direction that they're headed and this is a big win. Yeah, I think so. I think so. I mean there are still real questions, don't get me wrong, but you know, beating Utah that was not really one that we had planned for before the season. So I think I think you feel like you got one here that you can use and you know, propel you into a bowl.
Speaker 2: If you think the story there is TCU's defense has finally woken up and they performed super well against a good Utah offense. Sure, I think the story here is Utah's collapse. Utah's collapse. So this profile as a game that Utah should have run wild in literally run wild, Yes, and instead they finished with sixty eight yards on the ground.
Speaker 1: Utahs now four and three. There's a good chance they're a dog in four of their next five. At this point, there is zero shot of them hitting their over nine and a half, which I think we were both in on. Yeah. I think they'll make a bold dan. That's not a given though, And I think this is building to Kyle Whittingham's last year. I think so too, because he named Morgan Scalley as the head coach in waiting. That was something of a story before the season kicked off. It just feels like the momentum is there for a coaching change, that after all of these preseason expectations, the letdown of cam Riisen getting hurt again, it feels like Utah may be ready to turn the page of sorts. Kyle winnie Hand's been a great coach at Utah, don't get me wrong, It just seems like now would be the time to kind of get a fresh start with somebody else in charge, even though he's been there forever. I am I wrong with that? Is that where you were going with it too?
Speaker 2: That's exactly where I was going with it that. It just seems that, like, I don't know if it's Morgan Scalley, I'm fully speculating irresponsibly, but with how recruiting has gone recently, with the on field stuff with Andy Ludwig, you know, stepping down, it just has the the air of like, yeah, Morgan Scalley is gonna be taking on more responsibilities now, and like this show might, this particular segment might be out of date by the time this show is even released, Like the vibes are pointing in that specific direction.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: That's the vibe I get from how things are going behind the scenes. That utah right now, my.
Speaker 1: Only other spill overthought and then I'll kick it over to you in I want to circle back to LSU for a second. Oh yeah, rewatched that this morning. Yeah, you know, we kind of panned LSU's overtime win against Ole Miss two weeks ago, I think because so much else happened that week and got an email about that. Wanted to make sure that I gave LSU it's due. And this is a spot in which we looked. We saw LSU's on the road at Arkansas in a game that's historically kind of weird, and it's a week before they were squaring off against Texas A and M and Kyle Field. Yes, it's kind of getting to the point where you shouldn't just pan this LSU defense. When you say pan, what do you mean, hand wave it? You know what happened last year? You know what happened last year? They stunk. They were historically bad. Yes, and there have been moments this season, for sure where we've seen that version of it, but I have seen real strides. For one, the tackling is way better, way better tackle success rate a measure of this last year hovering around fiftieth in the nation. Right now, it's fourth best in the nation, right and that's without Harold Perkins. To without Harry Perky. Yeah, they're creating those havoc plays again. Last year finished in the sixty to seventy range nationally. So we're talking tackles for loss, pass breakups, interceptions, fumble recovery, things like that. So far tenth this season again doing it without Harold Perkins. So whatever they are doing, whatever they played, whatever, they paid Blake Baker to come in there and try a lot of money, paid him a lot of potatoes to come over and try to fix this thing. It may have taken a little bit initially, but LSU defensively is looking much much better. And this is another team that we had in that lurker category last episode. Tough One this weekend at A and M. But let's look at their November there's a good chance going four to oh against Bama, it could beat Bama, Florida, Vanderbilt, and Oklahoma. Those are four games in November with the trajectory of LSU right now, and you look at where those other teams are at I'm not saying it's easy. Nothing in the SEC is, but in light of losing two coordinators and Jaydon Daniels and dealing with the whole defense thing, if they go eleven and one here, if they go ten and two, that's like, that's a coup. That is a coup in my book, if they're able to put in this kind of season given some of the questions they had coming into it.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple thoughts. One, LSU lost Week one to USC in a crazy tight game.
Speaker 1: Week one.
Speaker 2: As I've said all season long, I'm always willing to extend grace for Week one results. That was a wild game. Ls was not fully formed. They've gotten better over the course of the season.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Garrett Nussmeier, I would imagine there is a certain quality of LSU fans that, as much as they've enjoyed this season thus far, that dude throws off his back foot a ton, that dude feels pressure and says, all right, scool, let's see what's going to happen, and.
Speaker 1: Say let's just throw it up. Let's and you know what, when you've got receivers that are good, a lot of times get away with it. I agree, it works better when you've got Kyrien Lacy than it does this you've got, you know, most of the other receivers in college football. But I take your point and it's not invalid.
Speaker 2: He's not always a feel the pressure on the edge, step into the pocket and throw it over the middle and be decisive about his footwork and his progressions college. That's okay, that's okay. He'll get there hopefully, but just in terms of what he does when he feels things breaking down there, there are some risky decisions that he is still prone to making, and that's okay. And the emergence of Caden Durham hopefully will help keep sort of defenses on their heels kind of thing, because I thought he was very good against Arkansas. I don't know if he went for one hundred yards but burned out some tough yards. The other thing was I still worry a little bit about LSU because you're right about the defense. The defense has improve. They're getting a ton of pressure. Brayden Swinson like, I'm not crazy about their linebackers right now, but if you're generating pressure, you know, it's a way to cover up for some defensive deficiencies. There is something about the drive finishing in this moment. I don't know if it's a play calling thing. I don't know if it's an execution thing.
Speaker 1: They had.
Speaker 2: If memories are two touchdown drives against Arkansas, they kicked a bunch of field goals. They had, like the three yard short field touchdown after an incredible interception. I'm not saying only having two touchdown drives is bad. If you can generate points elsewhere, it's a plus on LSU overall. It's a question on LSU's offense in this moment that if we're going to start saying, here's who they have left, this is their record right now, we'll see what happens. It's pretty workable. There is something about LSU. Now, if the big things seem to be operating, let's look the little things and a little the casual nature of Garrett and Usmyer under pressure and their ability to finish drives right now. Look, they did it at Arkansas, they uncomfortably. They checked every box for me as a quality team. I'm just saying, if you're gonna nitpick, that's where I might look the little things. Not finishing out drives and emphatically sending messages. But they'll get there. It's a new team.
Speaker 1: It's a new team. What else do you got from weekate?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I watched the Colorado Arizona game in its entirety. I watched a lot of Big twelve that I didn't fully watch on Saturday. Colorado's defense is pretty interesting to me. Sam Oakinlola bj Green like they're getting after the quarterback in impressive ways and they're still dealing with a beat up Travis Hunter, who only played part of the game against Arizona.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like their corners more than I thought I would against Arizona because that's a measuring stick game in terms of a passing attack. How can they handle Noah Fafida and t mac and some of the guys there. I thought they handled themselves really nicely on defense. The defense looks ahead of the offense to me, and I like that they leaned on the run a little bit when they had that lead. Dalan Hayden had a couple nice runs. I'm still not a huge fan of this offensive line. But in terms of Shador as a playmaker, one of his pay he had two picks, one of them was late.
Speaker 5: In the game.
Speaker 2: It was a tipped ball and it was bad low throw from him, but it wasn't a consequential interception.
Speaker 1: I think Colorado's pretty good and you've come around. Man, You've come around on him. I've come around.
Speaker 2: But I'm not going to say like I was super low on Colorado, and I'm going to stick with that feeling as they as I watched their games all season long, I was a low.
Speaker 1: It wasn't high.
Speaker 2: It was just sort of neutral and not super bought in on them dramatically improving. But this Big Twelve, and again this is not a knock on Colorado's performance this year. There's a lot of drek. There's a lot of garbage in this Big Twelve this year, maybe not as a full team, but a garbage offense, garbage defense, a garbage quarterback, and Colorado is doing what a pretty good team should do, which is take advantage. Arizona is a mess. By the way, Arizona is a mess. They're beat up on defense. Offensively, No Fafita is constantly running and trying too hard to make plays that are ending in poor decisions.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, you.
Speaker 2: Brought up the buyout stuff. I'm not willing to pour dirt on the Brent Brennan era. I didn't like his HighRes before in Duyna Quina and Dino Babers as coordinators, and they've already made a change in terms of play calling on offense at least a couple times. He better be recruiting. I have not looked on Arizona's recruiting, but this was the year for Arizona. There were opportunities on this schedule, and Arizona.
Speaker 1: Is a mess.
Speaker 2: They are thin pretty much everywhere in terms of quality depth, And it is you mentioned to me, like, who are you ready to just give up on Arizona's making it pretty easy right now?
Speaker 1: One final point on the Colorado stuff, then I want to get the remainder of your thoughts here. We do still have our verball or segment and some other stuff here to get through. Colorado improved both offensively and defensively and dramatically, so not as dramatically on offense because they had a pretty good offense all things considered. Last year. It was mostly built around the pass and shadoor. But in terms of the sp plus, which is not gospel but something that I like to use forty eighth last year at the end of the year. Offensively, now up to twenty ninth, so a top thirty offense is pretty good. And defensively, this is where we've really seen the Strides. The final year of Carl Durrell. They were one hundred and twenty eighth nationally last year. They only moved up fifteen spots to one hundred and thirteenth this year, all the way up to fifty sixth. This will change. We're only about halfway or so ish through the season, but given what we've seen, it seems like there's real steam on that defensive side of the ball and more people or taking notice that, yes, this is in fact a much improved defense. It's not gonna shut you down. You're going to score points on Colorado. But to the extent that the Big twelve is still sort of in a blender and still sort of has a lot of weakness across the board. Yeah, I don't know Colorado's remaining schedule For those playing the home game, Cincinnati, Texas Tech a very flawed Utah, Kansas, and Oklahoma State yet to win a Big twelve game, yes, almostate yet to win a Big twelve game. The projected margin right now in all five of those games is five points or fewer. In fact, most of them are less than a field goal. So it's just there. It's there for Colorado. They're projecting to be in some close games here, but by this measure, winning four out of five, you're Colorado, you win four out of your next five, you finish the season with nine wins. That's a pretty good season. That's a pretty good campaign for Dion.
Speaker 2: These are decidedly half teams by the way that they're playing. Oh yeah, oh, he has a ton of opportunity.
Speaker 1: In terms of.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati, I think is quality and they've been pretty consistent. They haven't played a ton of good teams. Texas Tech defense is willing to fall apart at any moment. They are on call to fall apart the Texas Tech defense. You mentioned Utah's offense falling apart. Kansas is a nice one against Houston, but you're talking about two basement dwellers right now in the Big Twelve going at it. We'll see if Jalen Daniels has turned a corner. That becomes more interesting if true, because he did have a really nice game and Oklahoma State's a mess on defense this year. Yeah, and so no, there's a lot of opportunity there for Colorado. I have two lane down once again. The lost Oklahoma isn't great. They should have beaten Kansas State, which I don't know if you can say like a should have beaten Kansas State. Moment has aged nicely, I guess. But for twu Lane, who has North Texas on the road, which will be challenging to hold down that offense. They finish at Navy and then a bye week before Memphis. Tulane is either deciding the American excuse me for somebody else or for themselves at the end of this season. They're real interesting. They look pretty complete, they're well coached, and they look beautiful.
Speaker 1: In those uniforms. Yeah yeah, oh I love those uniforms.
Speaker 2: So Tulane's they're lurking their quality. I'm paying you know, it's gonna be tough to get that that that G five spot with two losses, but I mean it's Kansas State and Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: They're a quality team. I like Tulane a lot. I'm gonna I'm gonna talk about that Boise UNLV game a little bit later on because that has real significance with respect to that G five playoff spot, and that game's on late Friday night, you know, if you're if you're young enough, stay up to watch the whole thing. Uh late kick, but definitely has I think some real significance with respect to not just that G five playoff spot, but also two lane role in that conversation, Yes, what else do you got? The Boise thing is interesting, We're going to get there. They've just taken care.
Speaker 2: Of business in a way that I love to see. And they had a bye week this past week before UNLV. Correct, but I went back and watched a little more Boise. I don't love their passing game, but if they continue to play defense and run the ball, I don't know man.
Speaker 1: Continue to play defense for the first time, Yes, that's the problem I have with them.
Speaker 2: Well, the defensive numbers aren't great because of that first game against Georgia Southern and the game against Oregon, but I don't think that fully characterizes their season. I'm willing to extend grace on Boise. When I was looking at some updated numbers, they're a couple of outliers within like the top fifteen or twenty. Do you know who has by far the worst defense in that like top fifteen to twenty range.
Speaker 1: You're talking about spot for Bowl or top top twelve.
Speaker 2: Poll anybody, I'm looking at the net points per drive. I'm looking at analytics here, but like these are all relatively the same teams. We're talking about Texas Miami. Miami has by far the worst defense. They are around I think sixty ninth or seventieth in points per drive allout. And you look at the Virginia Tech game, you look at the col game, now you look at the Louisville game, and that would be a concern point to me right now. Kansas State's defense needs to improve, but I think they've gotten better. My other point about Kansas State, by the way, is in rewatching or really watching in full for the first time that West Virginia game, it looked like practice. Kansas State looked like they just came off of the practice field. And Chris Climban's talking to Beat reporters and say, I thought we were really crisp out there. I thought it was a really nice Wednesday practice. We're really like firing on all cylinders. I'm excited for the weekend and for the season that we have to come. West Virginia did not offer much, and.
Speaker 1: That surprised me. It surprised me, you know, I it's not surprising that k State would win. They were favored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Garreck Green went down, didn't come play in the first in the second half, excason.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not surprising that case State would win that game. I do think on the whole, they're a better team. I am surprised by how easy it felt. I'm surprised by that, truly, because Kyse State, especially in the road, especially with Avery Johnson, who I think generally we like Avery Johnson a lot, but he's had his moments of inconsistency this year. To go on the road at night in Morgantown and to basically just throttle West Virginia and the manner that they did, that's it should open some eyes, right. And it wasn't just that, I mean they did they held West Virginia town. It was a domination of both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever played a like a six year old in one on one basketball tie the best.
Speaker 1: It's the only time I feel good about my basketball game.
Speaker 2: You're palming the ball over their head and you're hitting fadal way to Avery Johnson, it was as if in a in an offensive meeting leading up to the game, a QB coach, a coordinator, somebody you you know when you look at the bottom of a website and there's those weird paid ads like doctor say this one trick, Kelly Fly. It was as if a coordinator said, Avery, I've got this one trick that's going to make life so much easier for you. He looked so calm in the pocket. He didn't take off prematurely in the way that he had early on in the season. He looked out at that West Virginia defense and had his own offensive line smothering the West Virginia front, but was going through progressions that again, it's West Virginia. I don't know what this means for the rest of their schedule. I don't know what this means if they end up in a Big twelve championship game against Iowa State or something. Well, to play Iowa State and Farmageddon, but I don't know. It looked like a man reborn. Okay, what else do we got any other?
Speaker 1: Any other trailing thoughts here before we get into our overballer segment. I don't think so. I think we're good, all right. So we kind of have this thing on our show. It started years ago. It actually ended up on college game Day. It was in the midst of an Iowa season where they weren't playing offense. Nothing new there, but in the middle of that season we started a little line that we said, well, we got to talk to our kids about Iowa. We thought I was going to go and defet it. Yeah, caught on College football World took notice. As per usual, we ended up being trendsetters. Your favorite podcast, favorite podcast. That's right, that's right. We have the talking to your kids about dot dot dot question comment line that comes in via email every year, and now it has come into us from Kyle out at verballers dot com. He says, which college football things need to be taken seriously and explain to our children who may or may not comprehend the gravity Dan. My question is which teams are we talking to our kids at. I'll ask you a bunch of questions. I want to have them answered immediately immediately. Who needs to be taken more seriously? Who do we need to talk to our children about?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's sort of dovetails with what we were just talking about. Like, I think Tulane needs to be taken more seriously. I think SMU needs to be taken I mean, they haven't lost in the a sec but still they're sort of an afterthought in this moment because it's a Clemson Miami race. I mean, in sort of mainstream thought, I would say, who needs to be taken more seriously? Colorado once again, ASU with a healthy Sam levitt is a team that I would take seriously.
Speaker 1: Can I be honest with you about something here? Yeah, I haven't watched a whole lot of ASU this year. Okay, you know, we've been kind of wrapped up in whatever we do, and sometimes it's easy to miss teams, teams to fall through the cracks. But yeah, I watched that last game that Sam levit Pley didn't play the last game because he was hurt, didn't play against Cincinnati, but the one before that, I forget against which team I was really impressed. I was really genuinely impressed by how good he looked, He seemed to have command, he was accurate, he was tough to get in his face and pressure. I mean Kenny Dillingham, his pedigree is as an offensive mind is as a child of Tempe Arizona. So clearly with everyone out in the field a couple weeks ago, you could see Kenny d was feeling it. But it felt to me like with Sam Levitt in there, they have a chance of beating you, and there was a little bit of spark there. There was spark last year they didn't have the personnel, but there was definitely spark this year, I think with a little bit better quarterback play.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I feel about Wisconsin in terms of tell your kids about. I'm trying to find that big ten team that is being overlooked in this moment. Wisconsin is both Penn State and Oregon in Madison. Yes, I don't know if Wisconsin is actually good or is decent.
Speaker 1: Situationally, Okay, so what am I telling my kids about Wisconsin? Don't count them out?
Speaker 2: I guess that's as like dramatic as I can be about Wisconsin in this moment. Otherwise, who we should be taking seriously Vanderbilt.
Speaker 1: I'm taking Vanderbilt seriously. You know I am already. I know I'm trying to avoid the obvious ones like Indiana and Yu and I will state like they're all ranked, they're borderline top ten teams if they're already not in it. But you know, Vandy just cracked the top twenty five five and two. They need one win to get Bowl eligible against what right now projects as the sixth toughest schedule in America. Yeah, they do project as underdogs in their next five games, but I do not see them going on five, Dan, I don't think the improvements of Fluke. Eighth most improved offense in terms of points per drive in the Power For twenty fifth most improved defense by that metric in the Power For. This is a team that has definitely seen something of a transformation in the off season. It's not all just Diego Pavia. They are better across the board. They're obviously taking teams to the gun. They knocked off Alabama, So I'm just feeling like Vandy's a tough out. I don't know what their final record is gonna be. They could be one of these teams that gets into a bowl game with a six and six mark, and you're you got to pick them because you know that the schedule made them six and six. It wasn't just a team that was foundering, right, Vandy need to take Vandy seriously. The other one I have here per your analytics, by the way, of course, is Army. Yes, you can speak a little bit more to the context of your net points per drive improvement stat that you keep track of and how you calculate that and what that means. I don't want people's eyes and ears to glaze over talking about this, Okay, I am guilty of that more than a few times. But fair enough, Army is like four and a half points better per than they were a year ago. And that's including both offense and defense.
Speaker 2: Right, So the offensive points scored per drive minus the defense points allowed per drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I mean, you've been doing this a while now, the points per drive thing, that's kind of been your stat. Yeah, minus their yards. But yours is always points per drive relative to others.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm putting you on the spot. Four point five to four, I believe is the number in improvement that feels astronomically larger than most of the other ones I have seen.
Speaker 2: It's pretty crazy. Now here's the added context, Hie, they've played the worst schedule in America. Well, their strength of schedule is sitting at one hundred and thirty third right now, they're yet to play a team with either an offense or a defense. Yeah, the last team they played Army just fired their coach. They're playing one of the most disappointing teams in search of the Commander in Chief trophy and Air Force after a buye. They have a North Texas team that doesn't play defense. They've got a very good maybe Notre Dame team, a UTSA team that fell off, and a resurgent Navy. So I have no idea how seriously or not seriously to take Army. But if they're a good team, they've performed like a good team should have against this schedule thus far, so I have I'm fully selling on not selling on or selling on Army. I'm fully selling on having an opinion about Army other than winning is so much better. Okay, More interestingly, who are you not telling you? Who are you not taking seriously? Who are you telling your kids like you can go to sleep? They're not winning me.
Speaker 1: I'm still not really taking Illinois seriously. I know they're a top I'm not taking them seriously the top whatever team, top twenty caliber team. They're one to me that I'm not fully in on. I still struggle with the BYU thing. I know, I really do, and it's I'm running out reasons why because they have been a or Jake rehtz laugh has been pretty good, He's gotten better both as a passer and a runner. This team just feels like they're unkillable, and those are the teams generally that I gravitate towards. So personally, if I can just kind of have a moment of self reflection, hm, I think it's one of those deals where I kind of hated them in the preseason and it has taken me a long time. Now we're eight weeks into this deal. Yeah, it has taken me a long time to start having this conversation with myself about you were wrong, dog, you were really wrong about I think team.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you're right and wrong. Like, I just think you should view the BYU thing through the lens of let's not think about what they can be, let's appreciate.
Speaker 1: What they are. That's fair. I've been that's fair, and I probably need to come around to that.
Speaker 2: But I understand when you're undefeated in a power conference, you start thinking about a team as a potential conference champion at this point, and maybe you're not taking them seriously in that regard, but I think you can accept their success for what it is.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking into Miszoo seriously in their mind. I don't think this is any kind of surprising revelation at this point. The win that they had against Auburn was gutsy. That was a gutsy win to come from behind and win in the manner that they did. Brady Cook kind of coming literally coming back from the hospital after having an MRI to go out there and win the game. That all that stuff is good. Yes, the reason I am not buying is because the big plays just are not there. There aren't there are not there. They have not been able to create big plays. And like I said a few months ago, months a few weeks ago, somebody's gonna need to do a full like sixty minutes report. I'm gonna need the athletic in on this. Give me ten thousand words in the offseason about how you have Luther Burden on the team and you can't generate big plays. Yeah, right, You're gonna need those. They are predictive of success and they have not had any of those So for as long as Missou remains this team on offense not being able to generate any of that explosion, I just I can't take them seriously against an SEC schedule. You know what am I betting on here? I'm betting on Fluke wins essentially like we saw this past week against Auburn.
Speaker 2: For all of these teams, I take seriously what they've done so far, but I don't take seriously what it means for the back. You know, four or five games Pitt Douke and Syracuse in the ACC.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not there.
Speaker 2: They've played a lot of down teams that they've snuck by in retrospect. Just I respect the wins. I appreciate the wins. The wins don't sway me in any sort of meaningful way. But I like that they're winning. I think that's a good thing. I am not a believer right now in Texas Tech with their record, No, no, I and look, I really want to be the butt game tie. I want to be a believer. Yeah, I'm not there. I'm not there with Texas Tech. I'm not there with Illinois. I am definitely not there after this weekend with Iowa in the way that they I'm not there with Michigan State in the opposite direction yet, but I like seeing it. I liked seeing something new and unexpected from Michigan State. Yeah, a novel performance is always welcome to my end in the SEC. You mentioned Miszoo, I don't know that I'm fully in on Texas A and M right now.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I felt like you were a week ago.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: I just another week where they are what one of two teams that are undefeated in the conference. I think they're good, but now we're talking about like winning the SEC. I don't think Connor Wigman is an SEC winning quarterback, So I don't know. I again, I appreciate what they've done. I think it's a really nice story near one of Mike Elco. I mean, needless say, I'm not in on Bama right now. Yeah, are you a.
Speaker 1: Believer in Bama long term? This season?
Speaker 2: No, it's a real tough watch. Again, I'm extending grace to Kaylin de Boor in year one. It's an impossible job, it's an impossible ask. It's it's just it's all on Jalen Milroe. Yes, it's all in jail. Milroe I'm telling my children to watch South Carolina games.
Speaker 1: South Carolina is just a fun TV show watching Looney Tunes. It's great. It's just a good TV show and you never know what kind of madness you're going to see. Yeah, I agree with that, but I can't get there on Bama. I just can't not after what we've seen this season. You know, it's one two weeks feeling like the offense isn't getting into gear. That's one thing. But yeah, this has been a trend, man. I mean it's been like four or five weeks now where we're saying the same thing. It's just at some point, you are who you're telling us, you are, right, I am. This is a big picture.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about telling your children something, I'm telling my children not to fall in love with any freshman for your team.
Speaker 1: Right. This is big twenty twenty four. This is bigger.
Speaker 2: Like I just bought my kid a show hey O Tani shirt, and I feel pretty great about that. In terms of long lasting stick around, stick aroundedness, stickuitiveness. Yeah, if you have a dream freshman, I don't care who you are, don't fall in love. Tell your kid that maybe there's another freshman all the way next year. No, I don't know what about you anybody else that you're not believing in, believing in?
Speaker 1: What do you tell the kids about you stole my Syracuse pick. I was going to go there next okay, because we're going to talk about some of the week days.
Speaker 2: I'm into it. I'm into their success. I celebrate their success. But I don't look at somebody else's schedule and when I see Syracuse and Pitt think to myself, ooh, that's going to get real difficult.
Speaker 1: Well, Syracuse and Pitt play. Let's get to that. By the way, if you've got any more that you want to add to our list, please how to reach out social media, solid verbal at gmail dot com. We do have a few early bird specials this week. Early Bird Special Thursday at seven thirty on ESPN, It's Syracuse at five and one, It's Pit at six and oh pit favor by five and a half points. This is a perfect segue into the Pit Syracuse conversation. Yeah, you set me up perfectly. I look at Syracuse for what it's worth. Every defense at Syracuse play is the rest of the season is better than every defense they've played thus far. Yes, and yes. That also includes their game on November twenty third against the Yukon Fighting Huskies. So you're right. I want to root for the for animal. I still believe in the Syracuse project. I like watching the team, but their past defense is really bad. Yeah, really suspect, and I think that's what holds them back. It would not surprise me if this game against Pitt ends up being a quasi shootout, because I have questions about Pitt as well. I think both teams can score. I think it's a fun Actually, I think there are a handful of fun games. I think it's a great game May Thursday and Friday. I'm going Pitt thirty eight thirty. I like pitting this spot. They're at home.
Speaker 2: I think so too. I think I'm I said thirty seven thirty four actually in my mind. So I don't know what the spread will be a kickoff, but so you would go, you would go Syracuse. Then I would go points in a shootout.
Speaker 1: I don't blame it. Yeah, I understand that the big one here with real consequence, I think, is on Friday at ten thirty CBS Sports Network, Boise at five and one, favored by three on the road in Vegas against UNLV coming into this game at six and one, So both teams have that loss, but both were to non conference opponents. Boise to your Oregon Ducks, UNLV to the aforementioned Syracuse Orange. This is a monster matchup, man, yes, say big matchup in the Mountain West. Also, we're probably going to see a rematch of this game, so get ready for that. These are the top two teams in the Mountain West at present. Both of them are too clear in the lost column of the next best teams per the standings. I don't know if either team is taking a loss after this game, right, and so that's why schedule was amazing after this game amazing amazing. That's why I say it looks to me like this is a rematch the first of two. Yeah, I expect a lot of points. So is Vegas sixty five and a half? Is your is your over under here? I'm going UNLV home dog of the week? Play the wrong sound there? It is the Yokos home dog of the week. Let's not get crazy and lock this up, all right. Okay, okay, okay, hit the wrong button there, But I think lost in the Ashton jenty craze is the fact that the Boise defense is very suspect and so, yeah, it's been better, it's been better. You're right to bring that up. Yeah it's still kind of bad. Yeah, I think you and LV is good for thirty seven, thirty eight, forty five points on Boise. I can see this being one of those deals where there's like a late touchdown, someone's got to go for two or they want to go for two and get the win. UNLV outright, forty two, forty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have this high smat. I like UNLV as well, and they have your pet stat. I think their yards before contact. You gotta look at a team's rush defense right before they play ashion gent and it's nice. I think it's top fifteen or so. UNLV's it's not bad. I like Barry Odom's ability. We did see winning as a scale. They went to Oregon State last week in Corvallis and won that game. Thirty was seven or eight points they won that game. I'm going UNLV here. I'm going UNLV at home. Stadium's gonna be rocking. And I like the versatility of their offense a little bit more than I like Boyse's as.
Speaker 1: Well, I might have to stay out for this ten thirty kick.
Speaker 2: I can't wait ten thirty. Yeah, you're going to stay up. You'll make it a Vegas has set the line. This is a UNLV game. If Time makes it to the midway point of the second quarter, it will be the upset of the week.
Speaker 1: Well, sixty five and a half see over under sixty five and a half minutes is probably a good over under for how long I make it.
Speaker 2: And I like that ten thirty kicks, so making it to eleven thirty five.
Speaker 1: And then the other game on Friday at eleven on Fox, it's Rutgers traveling to USC. USC favored by fourteen points. There's a big time vibe check game right here. Sure you know USC and Rutgers both coming in with three straight losses. On the Rutgers side, two of them were blowouts, and one of them was against UCLA, which is almost worse. Yeah, I kind of think they get annihilated by USC here. That's my instinct, that's my gun. I kind of think they get annihilated because USC may not have a great defense, right, but it is better. And I am not of the mind here that Rutgers is going to come in and consistently put together long clock killing drives. Sure, I think that's their only shot to keep this one close. They're not going to win a shootout if they get into one with USC. They just don't have the offense. I thirty seven seventeen USC. I think they win handily in this game.
Speaker 2: I saw somebody tweet out or on Instagram somewhere said, you know, you can take your Dodgers Yankees. The clear tri State Area Southern California matchup of the weekend, Rutgers traveling to whatever three and four USC. It's a If USC loses this game at home, USC fans should just pay attention to the Lakers, pay attention to the Dodgers. They're in the World Series. Yeah yeah, yeah, and just abandon the season. You should not pay attention to USC. If they lose this game at home to Rutgers, this would be a waste of your time. You deserve better.
Speaker 1: This would be a horrible loss. And you know what, Rutgers isn't necessarily a horrible team, but this is a game they should win. Yes, Okay, I got a dog bark in here. I apologize. Okay, Oh it's okay. We have some other big ones this week. Once we get to the weekend. We got the Notre Dame Navy game, a line that's come down already. By the way. We've got Washington versus Indiana. We will talk more about the Curtis rourkean.
Speaker 2: By the way, vir check looks your vibe check. Now you mentioned vibe check usc rutgers the vibecheck Navy Notre Dame. I think Notre Dame is gonna cream them, Okay. I think Notre Dame should cream Navy. Okay, they should not to say they will. That line when I made this document was thirteen in favor of Notre Dame. I looked before we hit Live Eric Live here down to eleven and a half. So there is steam on Navy. I hope it keeps coming down. I'm inclined to go heavy on Notre Dame, so I think that's a good matchup for them. We got Oregon playing host to Illinois. Alabama favored by a pretty hefty margin against Miszoo, Penn State minus about a touchdown on the road against Wisconsin. By the way, it was just announced that the Penn State Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Game is going to be a noon kickoff. Which means that Oregon Michigan will be a three thirty, won't wear out. Oh oh great, goodbye, my pretty good, pretty good time set up. Love that and uh LSU against A and M is sort of like the big matchup in the SEC. That game's in Kyle Field. It is at seven thirty on ABC. An M is favored by two and a half points. So those are the big games. There are some other ones of note Nebraska, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech byu UCF, Texas Vandy who knows right in Nashville, right, Yeah, Yeah, We've got Michigan, Michigan State, SMU Duke not bad, Cincinnati, Colorado so maybe lacking for obvious Georgia versus Texas style headliners, But that's plenty of intrigue here. There are a bunch of games on this docket that I'm pretty excited about.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you see that the SEC ruled on the bottle throwing for Texas. They got fined I think two hundred and fifty K and they have to use all available technologies to identify and ban any of the bottle throwers.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I saw, I saw one of the barstool Accounts was tweeting out a screen grab of a text message that was reportedly going around to students. I haven't seen that actually confirmed anywhere. Yeah, but yeah, that would be something.
Speaker 2: To students announcing that they're banned from Texas events the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that they're pulling their tickets. I don't know if it's legit, but you know, if they're using all available technology. All of these stadiums have high powered cameras where they can look for people.
Speaker 2: By the way, the ultimate losing effort is everybody who threw bottles. It was a winning effort for that play because I don't know if the SEC commented on the horrible play or the horrible call that brought out the throwing. But all those Texas throwers getting banned for the rest of the year as they watched their team lose the biggest game of the season for them.
Speaker 1: You miss games at home against Florida and Kentucky. Okay, it would have been a fun night. A and M is on the road this yere Kyle Field. Yeah, so those are the big games. Again. We're going to do our Thursday preview a little bit later on this week We would encourage you to stop on by hit follow, subscribe if you are ever so inclined, Tell your friends, leave a rating or review if you've been here a while. All this stuff helps us grow with overballer hood. It has been a very successful season for us. A lot of new people have found in the show, so we appreciate having you here. Always fun to grow our little I keep calling a pirate ship. I think that's a good way to I like that. That's great. Yeah, cool with that. So look final bit here. Our guy Shay put together an extended cut of the reverbs because we had so much going on when we did our last episode on Saturday night. Also kudos to Shae for cutting reverbs on his tenth wedding anniversary. Okay, this is a separate conversation, but he put these together after the fact. I assured him he did not need to get these to us right a SAP because we would do them part of the Tuesday show. These aren't super long, but it is indicative of I think how fans were feeling here the rest of the way in week eight. So I have a quick listen.
Speaker 3: It's Jimmy fromman All and I can't wait for tomorrow morning to see if Dusty May can get the Wolverlines ready to make a run at the dance.
Speaker 1: This yeah, dan Ty Travis from Ferndo, Key, Florida.
Speaker 6: This is Patrick from Tavia, Hellen. Hello, this is Alex from East Lansing, Michigan.
Speaker 1: Get out of your muster packet because it's the home dog of a.
Speaker 4: Week baby, No Green go stay.
Speaker 6: Jonathan Kim more like Jonathan him sick. Field goals to beat Iowa at their own game.
Speaker 4: No Green, So wait, is Texas not back? Or is Vanderbilt better than Georgia? Or are both of those things true or neither of them true? I'm very confused.
Speaker 7: Hey, asverb, this is Don in Maryland. This call is being overturned because my household members just threw a water bottle at me.
Speaker 6: Any who are showing the beer on the fielders?
Speaker 1: That's just me? No, No, Carson, Carson, We're wearing the white shirts, not the white helmets. We've been over this, Carson, Go dogs.
Speaker 6: Be those tears, take slight, crappy, burnt, overdone Texas barbecue, Go dogs sick the woof woof.
Speaker 1: I just watched my Gators absolutely kick Kentucky's ass. It was glorious period. Just letting you know that this happens against your lock of the week, Dan Arkansas Razorbacks.
Speaker 6: Go Taggers.
Speaker 3: Hi, This is e J and Family checking in from Madison, Wisconsin after the latest edition of October Go Go.
Speaker 7: This is Steve from Atlanta, Georgia talking about seven wing Diana.
Speaker 1: So what when we got on boys?
Speaker 5: Coach stick wins again.
Speaker 3: So I write a newsletter called the Solid Plates, and at the beginning of the year I made a bunch of predictions. One of them was that this is Miami's year. Other ones were that Oklahoma would do better than expected and the UCF would win the Big twelve. Yeah, all those aren't panning out. My Miami one's doing great.
Speaker 5: Main fan here. Could Maine really get their first shutout in eleven years against number five with Villanova? Uh No, Villanova scored with two minutes left to make it thirty five to seven, one of the most surprising results of the year.
Speaker 4: Go Black Bears.
Speaker 6: California gold Bears are like the little brother of the entire acc. It's like when you're playing Smash Bros. Your little brother, and you let him get you down to twenty cent and then you come back and beat the everlove and crap out of him about cal You'll you'll see.
Speaker 7: What my prosper When will the WVU end the Neil Brown era? Can we please wow stop watching this horrendous product and bring back home the prodigal West Virginia native and Jimbo Fisher at the next EP coach.
Speaker 1: Of course, Wow, you just extended Neil Brown. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a huge believer for last year, but I always appreciate improvement.
Speaker 1: But it's tough. It's a tough watch this year. Thank you to everybody who dialed in at eight five five verbal three. As always, it's a pleasure to hear your messages. Yes, we got inundated this past week with calls, and Shay said there are too many on the cutting room four. We need to do a whole other segment. So that does it for the spillover episode. Don't forget previews coming up on Thursday. We've got a lot of games to discuss. You heard just a small sampling of them. I'm excited about what this week has in store as we get into week ten. Don't forget Dan, We're going to that Orgon Michigan game. Can't wait the aforementioned organ Michigan. We're gonna be there. So if you're gonna be an ann Arbor or some parts around ann Arbor, give us a holler. Let us know. We'd love to meet up. We're gonna try tailgating. Yeah, if you're tailgating.
Speaker 2: If you own a breakfast sandwich restaurant and want to give Tie the full spread, let us.
Speaker 1: Know Solid verbal at gmail dot com. Where's this dog at? Come here? Dog? He see? I put her on the screen since she's been For those who have the new one, this is the new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for those how many weeks old, how many months?
Speaker 1: There she is. She's gonna buite my microphaz Look at her. There she is. People watching a YouTube video.
Speaker 2: Some would say the best dog of any college football personality around.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, shots fired at Ben? Say, shots fired at Ben? Okay, I couldn't take her off leash and let her roam around campus. She would run away from me. Yeah, especially right now. But for those watching the video, if you're wondering, why have I been distracted and kind of all over the place, I've been chasing her around the room. So thank you for your patience. Try not to do this again. All good in the meantime for that guy of there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself Tye Hildebrand, thanks for downloading, for listening, for supporting the show. We will talk to you all on Thursday. I meantime, stay solid, peace,