Speaker 1: What's going on. I'm rich Dmiro. This is rich on Tech. You guys know that I do a live call in show on my Facebook page at facebook dot com slash rich on Tech. And here is a recent call from that show.
Speaker 2: My name is Elise mel Quiz. I'm calling from Flamingo Heights, which is near twenty nine Palms Marine Base. I've been a PayPal customer for about thirty years now, give or take, and all of a sudden, my credit card through PayPal when Synchrony Bank they're telling me that I had a security breach, but they never notified me of how it happened and all of that, and so now I can't use my credit card. I've got all the bells and whistles, and I'm not I've been I'm a PLUS certified, So I don't understand. Shouldn't credit card companies notify the person whose credit card is as soon as like.
Speaker 1: A SAP, you would think, how is it breached? Did someone use your card?
Speaker 3: Or was it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: How is that?
Speaker 2: That's a big question that I have. That's what's been puzzling me all night and all day, yes, today, end today?
Speaker 3: And how did you find out about this?
Speaker 2: I called Uh, well, I went online because I do. Uh, I swear by PayPal and Amazon and stuff like that, because I don't give it. I do a lot of online purchases, Okay, but I only do it if they accept PayPal or Amazon.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Okay, well, I'll be honest, I recommend the opposite. So I personally don't really use PayPal anymore because I don't like how they they urge you to use your credit your your bank account versus your credit card. And yes, you can use your credit card with them, but I personally think that I don't like going through PayPal because it's like a third party proxy and when you have a problem, it's really tough to get support with PayPal because they're a big company and it's just not to me and my experience, it's not very good because you're going through email and all this stuff. So personally, if I'm shopping online, I use a credit card that is not a debit card. I don't like to use a debit card online because if someone if someone gets that, you know they have access to your entire bank account. So personally, I would say i'd recommend ditch PayPal, use your credit card directly online and get a credit card that has good protection. So every credit card is different, you know. Some of them have better protection than others. Some of them have alerts or they'll text you if your phone. I've got an app on my phone that literally sends me a text every time my card is used, so I can see the exact amount of that usage. The other thing I do like as opposed to PayPal is Visa Checkout. That's kind of an alternative. I like it better because.
Speaker 2: It's Visa checkout. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, the whole I mean, yeah, the whole thing about PayPal is I'm just not liking it. I'm not liking PayPal. I'm not liking Venmo. I don't like when any third party really has access to my credit card, except I will tell you the one I do like. I am a fan of Samsung Pay. I'm a fan of Apple Pay and Google Pay, and those are a little bit different because those don't share your credit card.
Speaker 3: Number with the services.
Speaker 1: They actually share a one time disposable number, and that's why it protects you more so than something like PayPal, which I just feel like they get hacked a lot. There's a lot of fraud with PayPal. I just don't really see the benefit of using PayPal except for the fact that they store your information, and I just don't I don't really see the benefit of using it to shop online. So I say, ditch PayPal and you're When it comes to your credit card company, not all of them do tell you right away. And I was in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago my card was declined. My debit card was declined the first time I used it in New Jersey, and I was expecting a phone call from my bank to say, like, Hey, what's going on. Are you in New Jersey or what you know? Did you make this transaction? They never called me. I had to end up calling them to get my card cleared and to figure out so I couldn't use my card for a couple of days until I called them, And then as soon as I did my first transaction again, my card was declined again and I had to call back again. So it really depends on your card issuer, whether they text you or email you. I would set up alerts when your card is used so that way you know, but you should not at the end of the day. You should not be liable a lease for anything that was charged on your card. That's the bottom line. You should not be liable for anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, off co sign that. So the your co signing Apple page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like I like Apple Pay.
Speaker 1: I like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay, and I think that.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, what do you think about Amazon Prime because I'm an Amazon Prime person.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I love Amazon Prime. That's great. Amazon Prime is fantastic. I highly recommend you using that. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like using Amazon Pay either. I know they've they've done more with Amazon Pay. I don't really like anytime I'm giving away more information than I have to your credit card number.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: You know, you can easily cancel a credit card and it's not your money, you know what I mean, it's not your cash. So and I've got some folks in here saying that. J. C. John is saying that he if my wife and I cut up our credit cards years ago, no cash, no buy, and I totally agree with that. I'm on the Dave Ramsey plan. But when it comes to online purchases, I'm not comfortable giving out my debit card because there's been instances where they get my money off my debit card. And then you have to fight back for your own money and that's not fun. Yeah, so all right, thanks so much for the call, Alice. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Rich Okay, have a good day. Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 1: If you have a tech question you'd like me to answer, be sure to like my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash Rich on Tech and turn on those notifications. You know exactly when I go live and you can call in. Thanks so much for listening, Amriche Tomiro.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to you real soon.