Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, your presences presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm pretter wineger. My hair is still a little damp, but it'll probably dry out throughout the episode, so you feel that, you'll feel it as my hair gets drier and drier and starts to poof. If that's how I'm starting, what could I have to offer? Last night? It was you know, it's just me begging the TV to show me something. Last night I watched Adopted Too. This is the sequel I assume to Adopted. I haven't seen Adopted, and I really haven't seen Adopted Too. But it was about an evil little boy who is adopted and things don't turn out well for the family the adopted boy. Let's just be honest. Adoption is evil, adopted people are evil. It's all obviously evil, and thanks to tub we now know. I haven't seen Adopted one though, so I can't speak to it. I also watched Hag. I watched Hag the twob of Original. That's about a woman named Mag who is a hag and she I didn't watch much of that either, but I think she kills her gay friend. That's my life. I've skipped through too to be Originals and been mad at my TV. So that's essentially where we are. Do we need to talk about any business? I should remind you we have YouTube. We have YouTube at home. We're on YouTube. Tell your favorite tween YouTube. Somebody's created a like a subreddit for the podcast, and that seems to be thriving, which is nice. People are buzzing around Reddit. I was so against Reddit for such a long time, but it seems like it's the last place on the internet. Ah Patreon, patreon dot com, slash I said, no gifts the best value online. So get over there, support the podcast, do whatever you want. I want to get into the podcast because I mean, I just today's guest. He's nominated for an Emmy. He's been nominated for an Emmy twice. The truth is everybody loves him. It's Michael Yury. Michael. Welcome back to I said, Nokia.
Speaker 4: Oh what a pleasure. I'm so happy to be back. I'm sorry that I giggled.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I have nothing to share about.
Speaker 4: My life, but your too, be habits.
Speaker 3: I have nothing but to be in my life.
Speaker 5: It really sounds like not to jump in to the to be of it all. But Hag One and adopted to feel like they might be the same.
Speaker 3: They must be in the same universe. There's definitely in the same level of quality. I'll say that, do we.
Speaker 5: Think the family and adopted one is the same same family or same child?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Interesting, I would say that the the hag is probably the babysitter in Adopted One. I bet she's circling the block.
Speaker 4: It's a spin off, yes, spin off.
Speaker 3: Right, mag is in her car. She's waiting for the little boy to kill his first family and then she'll probably she probably takes him to the It's called Sid's Mental Institute. I think something like that is where it's a little boy in Sid's something like that.
Speaker 5: That's your dream, Sid. One day, I want to have a mental institution named for.
Speaker 3: Myself, Cherry's Mental Institution. Come on down. It's something like that. It's like, why is there just a first name Larry's Mental Institution?
Speaker 4: But that's Ronson and Sons.
Speaker 3: Plumb Company. Not a great mental institution.
Speaker 5: I'll say, well, oh no, that's that's too bad, so you don't recommend it.
Speaker 3: I would not send my evil child to this one because he's going to get out. It's gonna be a bloodbath.
Speaker 4: Oh he escaped.
Speaker 3: He escapes pretty easily, I'll be honest.
Speaker 4: Oh, it goes back to his adopted family. That's what's adopted one is about.
Speaker 3: I think that family's dead.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I think he finds a new family. Oh, do you want to find out what happens with the I don't want to spoil it because I know you're going to watch it.
Speaker 4: I don't think I don't think I will.
Speaker 3: There's a chance we're going to get an adopt up to three because he almost immediately after killing his new family, finds a new Fanily.
Speaker 5: Oh, so it's the same kid kids, And they gotta they got to shoot these quickly because that kid that actually getting older.
Speaker 3: So they probably have shot like six of them already, just.
Speaker 4: Holding them until the time is right, until the public begs for more.
Speaker 3: It sounds great Toob's pumping them out. I looked through the tub Originals last night. Weirdly didn't see Adopted one. I just saw Adopted two.
Speaker 4: There, So Adopted one is on Apple.
Speaker 3: It's a huge shift in quality, major budget slash.
Speaker 4: It's on Apple and Chris Pratt's in it, and it's like it's like a I spent like ten million.
Speaker 3: It's a very thoughtful piece about the adoption process, and Adopted two goes full bar. But I'm really recommending to be to people at this point. And this is not paid to advertising, it's just their there's a lot of trash. Yeah, incredible amount of trash. Because I think Lifetime became kind of self aware. Uh huh, Right to Be doesn't feel quite as aware.
Speaker 4: To Be is the new Lifetime.
Speaker 3: Yeah it might be. Wow, new Lifetime Hallmark and good documentaries, oh genuinely.
Speaker 4: Actually actually good documentaries on to Be and it's to be? Don't they have Little Toby too? To Be?
Speaker 3: It's like to be. I can't do it. I don't have the range of the range for two.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a female voice, I believe, and it goes up to be to be, well.
Speaker 4: It's either to be or as I hear, not to be.
Speaker 3: I feel like, wow, I think you might be the first person to get to that.
Speaker 5: That's my understanding of how that works. It's either to be or adversely not to be on the other side of it.
Speaker 3: And then there's movie. Oh, there's movie.
Speaker 5: Movie is a thing I haven't been saying to be wrong. It's also movie.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure there's something called movie.
Speaker 4: And on movie they they play movies.
Speaker 3: I think so. I think they play probably strictly movies. I think movie might be a little bit more a platform, a little more in control of its content. But I could be wrong.
Speaker 5: In control like they have, they have like technique, like style, and maybe like the categories are to be. It's almost like it sounds like I could make a movie and put it on to be myself possibly.
Speaker 3: I think we're getting close to that.
Speaker 4: You can upload it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's got a it's got a little bit of something for everybody.
Speaker 4: Oh that sounds great.
Speaker 3: I feel like you have a richer, faller life than me. What have you been doing? That's not true at all, That's simply absolutely.
Speaker 5: That's not true at all. In fact, I'm wearing pants that I bought with you.
Speaker 3: Wait, when when did you buy paints?
Speaker 4: When we buy? When do we go pants shop?
Speaker 5: You and Jimmy and me were in your neighborhood. We had breakfast, and we were wandering around and we happened upon a very cute, little secondhand clothing shop and I got these definitely female pants. Oh good for you, but I wear them all the time.
Speaker 4: They're so cozy.
Speaker 5: And here let's see these these Oh those are great.
Speaker 3: Those are really fantastic. Wait, I'm trying to think of was it a leader of the pack? Was it a that sounds familiar?
Speaker 5: I don't remember. I just remember it was little Literally the pack sounds kind of familiar.
Speaker 3: Where did we had breakfast at Bells? Yes? This is lining up Bells.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, that's right.
Speaker 5: And then we walked down, we wandered around the neighborhood and we went into this place and I saw these.
Speaker 3: That sounds right, little girls shoot pants. This takes me back to about like two thousand and six. I would buy women's pants at like I don't know, American Eagle or something they were like, because at the time it was kind of almost impossible to buy a men's pant that wasn't huge.
Speaker 4: Uhha, right, because of the style right men.
Speaker 3: Needed, right, that's what.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 3: The pants strong enough for a man. But I think I would go to like American Eagle and buy like boot cut women's jeans. I guess that's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Why are men's pants so big? Then?
Speaker 5: Do you think that men needed big pants so that the illusion of how big their penis was was was.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, it was a bigger curtain.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: I can really hide things.
Speaker 4: Nine pants because well why else would I.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm like, we're like, like, let's find the tiniest pants we can.
Speaker 3: Well, as a small person, it's just I've I just feel like I've been living in a giant world my entire life. Oh wow, and so and then there was a small period when men's clothes kind of were fitted through like the mid to late thousands and ten ye scenes and then we're back to a boxier stuff.
Speaker 4: I know now people like a big old pant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And for me it's still I'm a little I know. It's like I fought so hard for things to fit.
Speaker 5: I know, I know I've been I've been on the elliptical for years just to spit into my girl pants. Now people are like, nah, it doesn't matter. Your likes could be as big as you want.
Speaker 3: It can just be enormous pants.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here, put on these these balloons.
Speaker 3: Right, And I just don't feel like that's me.
Speaker 4: No, I don't really either.
Speaker 5: But but I will say I get very few compliments on these brands, almost none, and it does not determin me because they're so cozy. I look right, they're so they like st they're kind of stretchy, and they're hot.
Speaker 4: They're high water whatever you call it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't realize it's like a high water or like a men's caprice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're cut offs. I mean, so somebody cut them at at some point, but I've just rolled them up.
Speaker 3: Oh, so you were kind of forced to Otherwise that would.
Speaker 5: Be Otherwise they would be misshapen and they would be like not long enough or too long.
Speaker 4: And so I mean I'm obsessed with them.
Speaker 3: I would say, there are a little crossroads like Britney Spears crossroads. It's a great look.
Speaker 5: Thank you now. So that's enough compliments for me to keep wearing it forever. But then sometimes I'll wear big pants, not that I buy, but that people put me in for right acting things, and I get all the compliments because that's what's in.
Speaker 3: Right now interesting, But then it's going to be out and everyone's going to be embarrassed.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's gonna be like, what were you thinking wearing a big, drapy double breasted suit unfastened?
Speaker 3: It's a trap.
Speaker 5: It is a trap because I remember when double breasted suits used to be popular, and then when they were the dumbest thing we could possibly look at.
Speaker 4: Isn't that crazy that like we like?
Speaker 5: I remember also the hairstyles of now, even the hairstyle I'm sporting, which has a little bit of like, way more hair looks great? Thank you again, I'm with these compliments, but like so much hair in the back, and there was a period I feel like that was minutes ago where men with hair in the back of their head was the most disgusting thing, And now it's hot, it looks great, everyone loves it.
Speaker 3: I've said for a long time that when the clothes you wore in middle school come back into style, you should get to die. I think it's just like, Okay, now I've completed the cycle onto the grave. But unfortunately, I think you probably see that cycle probably six times through a life. Gosh right, I mean, cruel, endless, tough experience.
Speaker 5: We just have to keep wagging up every damn day. It's a very beautiful day today though, been nice weather. It has because we had a couple of like like a June gloom.
Speaker 3: That's all I want. You don't want the June gloe. You like the gloom because in La once we get out of June gloom, we're into August through November.
Speaker 4: Hell, oh that's fair.
Speaker 3: It's brutal.
Speaker 4: But I love the sun like this because I I grew up in Texas where it's humid. Oh right, so the air is hot, and there's something about California that the sun is hot.
Speaker 3: Yes, but if you.
Speaker 4: Go in the shade, it's no longer hot.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: That is a miracle. It's like a miracle. And I realized that's simple. It's just simple science. But like in Texas where it's humid, in New York, where I most of the time, where it's humid, like it doesn't matter where the sun is. You walk out that door, out of the air conditioning, and you are drenched and sweat immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was because I was in New York in April or maybe no, yeah, April, and I kind of expected that the trick of New York where you're like, oh, this is the most beautiful place in the world. Why wouldn't I live here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But instead it was extremely hot and then extremely cold. So it was probably bad for a vacation, but it was also good for me to be like, oh, yeah, this is a large part of the year here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you were there for both.
Speaker 3: I was there. Over the course of a week. It went from like ninety degrees to forty degrees and there was essentially no in between.
Speaker 4: That's a problem. Yeah, but it's like it was mom Dommie's fault.
Speaker 3: I believe everything. This guy's out of control. Let's get Eric Adams back in the office.
Speaker 4: He balanced the budget, but look at the weather.
Speaker 3: Okay, but so you you basically did not tell me what you've been up to other than buying pants with me. You were trying to make me feel better about my life, saying Bridger, you're shopping, You're going to breakfast. That was months ago.
Speaker 4: That was months ago, one morning, one day a year. I go out, what else have I been doing? Let's see, we are shooting this is the fourth season of Shrinking. So that's television program and it's really really fun.
Speaker 5: It's going really well, and I'm really enjoying being here in California. I spent the fall in New York. I was in Oh Mary, that's right, and ritured the Second by Shakespeare and it was awesome, and New York was awesome.
Speaker 4: New York on the autumn is really lovely.
Speaker 5: And then I enjoyed the winter it gets and we did have one this year, which was nice.
Speaker 3: To defend the winter. You can't say that and then just move on. What about winter? You like it or you tolerated?
Speaker 4: Interesting? Good question.
Speaker 5: Well, I like the snow, Like when it's snows, it's really beautiful, and like there's nothing like seeing Central Park covered in snow doing a picture, but you can. But then there is day three, day four of the snow where it becomes like slushy, grosslthy, having to leap over. But I'll say something that And this is also like because I'm I loved being in the theater.
Speaker 4: I love doing theater.
Speaker 5: And in New York there's a thing that happens with New Yorkers are just so tough, like it doesn't matter if it's boring rain, a blizzard, horrible heat, they will keep their plans right. And this is something that I like, what I love about New York in the winter is that it doesn't matter. I mean, a blizzard, maybe maybe that'll shut the city down, But it doesn't matter. If there's slush, if there's snow, if there's rain, if there's horrible heat, people are gonna go and they're.
Speaker 4: Gonna show up at the theater.
Speaker 5: Right every time, every time it's like a horrible weather day, and I think, oh gosh, I hope we have an audience tonight.
Speaker 4: They show up. And I think that's so the resiliency of a New Yorker.
Speaker 3: Right, the commitment, yeah, which I appreciate, and I kind of want out of everyone but myself. I want I want the option to be able to cancel, fake out at last minute. Yeah, that's fair, which is a nice thing about LA. Although I anytime I cancel on somebody, the apologizing I do is overwhelming, and then I realize no one here cares, No one cares. Essentially expected that you're probably going to cancel day.
Speaker 4: Of I think LA people are relieved when you cancel.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I mean, of course, everyone's like, oh, thank god they canceled so I didn't have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really just chicken just waiting, pushing it as far as humanly possible. I'm thinking about something tonight i'd like to cancel and I don't even have to leave my house for it.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, what is it watching to be? To cancel with yourself? Watching to I'm hoping to be? Will cancel on me? First, you're a low point.
Speaker 4: You're really hoping for not to be tonight. But there's nothing I mean.
Speaker 5: In New York, if you're like out and about and somebody canceled, it can be like a drag.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh, well, I came all the way downtown, I do this.
Speaker 5: Packed about. Yeah, I like planned for my day. But in LA, You're right, there is something about like and because the excuses are generally like not weather related.
Speaker 3: Here, no, never.
Speaker 4: There, It's like I know when I go in that, but people do, they don't care. They're like, let's go, let's get out there, let's do it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've lived in New York since I was nineteen years old wild and which was in the nineteen hundred and now I have this great life where I don't have to spend all my time there, and I think it's made me love it.
Speaker 3: Way more having the option to not be there.
Speaker 4: Because I'm here half the year with this awesome gig, and I get to visit New York and like, on my last trip to New York a couple of weeks ago, I saw six shows in three days.
Speaker 3: This is another thing to me. If I see one show in a quarter, I'm like, oh, I'm tired. Wow, what an attention span I have.
Speaker 4: I saw three shows in one day?
Speaker 3: And what shows did you say?
Speaker 4: I saw Schmiga Dune two pm. Terrific.
Speaker 3: I've heard It's wonderful.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: And I made sure I was sitting on the aisle, and I knew that I could zip out very quickly as soon as the curtain I'm ready for the curtain call to be over. And as soon as the curtain call was over, I zipped out. I had texted my friends in the show, I'm not coming to say hello because I am zipping out. I have to go right downtown. So I zipped out right by. I was really close to the train, hopped right on the train, went downtown and I saw, can I be Frank?
Speaker 3: Oh? Who is this?
Speaker 4: It's about Frank.
Speaker 5: Maya, Okay, the comedian from the eighties, and this this this guy Morgan put together this incredible show about Frank Maya where he does some of the Frank Maya Frank ditabdes and he does some of Frank's material and then most but mostly it's Morgan's musings on the world and Frank then and what we are lacking in the Frank we don't have now. It's Oh, it was so good at the Soho Playhouse, which is a really cool, really cool space and directed by Sam Pinkleton.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's everywhere. He's everywhere and has directed one hundred things in the last like two years.
Speaker 4: I know he's he's earned it. He's very good. I know him because I did.
Speaker 5: I did a solo play many years ago called Bayern Cellar that was written by Jonathan Tolan's and in it, I had to do a little dance that plays about the basement mall that Barbara strikes in.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, her male familiar.
Speaker 5: And to play chronicles this actor that gets hired to run the shops okay, And what he doesn't realize until she walks in is that it's a play acting.
Speaker 4: It's like an acting job.
Speaker 3: Oh shot, I love this.
Speaker 5: It's so brilliant. This show is absolutely brilliant. She comes down to shop and none of that's real. I mean, the mall is real.
Speaker 3: Can if we talk about the mall for just a second.
Speaker 4: We could talk about the mall all, I could talk about the mall.
Speaker 3: What do you know about the mall? Actually, I don't want to get off of and we need to circle back to all of this. But you can't bring up the ma all without let's get some facts about the mall.
Speaker 5: What I know about the mall is and what anyone can access is her book My Passion for Design, which is a coffee table book that came out I want to say in twenty eleven.
Speaker 3: She stole the title from me.
Speaker 4: You were going to wreck that book.
Speaker 3: I didn't have any idea. I just loved the title, so I'll get around for design.
Speaker 5: She has said that she was supposed to make a movie and it fell apart, so instead she made a book, and the book chronicles her renovations of the Malibu Compound, which is a giant house and then another couple of houses. And one of the houses is a barn. Looks like a barn is a barn, but is a house. And in the basement of this house, that's a barn. She has built a street of shops, so it's like cobblestone wow, and it's different shops like a like a European arcade. There's an antiques store, a gift shoppy, and a sweet shop where there is a frozen yogurt machine, a dress shop where all of her like like collective. It's it's where she keeps her collectibles essentially, so there's she has a doll collection. She has I think the doll shop is called B's Doll Shop, and they're name you know, there's like and you can see all these pictures. They are all available online or you can get the book My Passion for Design, which when it came out was like six thousand dollars and now you can get on Amazon for like ten. But I have a copy of it, of course, and we use it in the in the play. The play is very uh for legal reasons.
Speaker 4: It's very clear that like this is real and what you're about to see is not sight.
Speaker 5: So John is a genius and like the way that he sets it up is just it's it's it's so fantastic and it's one of these things that like he asked me to read the script and I read it and I was like, this is really good. And I asked my partner Ryan, you know lovely Ryan, I was like, well, you just look at this, just like take a look and tell me if you think this is something that I should do. And we were on I'll never forget, we were on a plane. I handed in the script and he looked at it, and about one minute later he said, I already think you should do this.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: It was that yeah, it was that good, like it could be a movie at some point.
Speaker 4: Well, wouldn't it be funny if it was a movie. And she played of course.
Speaker 3: Barbara, who I'm sure in the play kills someone. That's why you have to make it clear.
Speaker 5: Yes, in the place she kills her adopted family, but we make clear.
Speaker 4: At the beginning that that's not that's not.
Speaker 3: Sure shopping this to Tuvias adopted three.
Speaker 5: So there's this amazing sequence in the play where he's working in bees doll shop dusting. He's like, spends a few days there alone, and then finally she shows up and there's a ding at the door and she walks and he's like, what do I do now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: And she goes she looks at him and she says, you have nice things here, and he realizes, ohere we're making believe and the play goes on from there and it's just so so wonderful and like, of course we have we poke fun at her in the play, but it's actually quite loving and very respectful, and there's nothing in it. He doesn't put anything in it that you know that she hasn't said in the press or whatever like, so there's nothing that's like false or it's just it's just a made up fantasia.
Speaker 3: A celebration of Barbara and her.
Speaker 4: Mall, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: How do you get access? I guess you just had to be friends with her?
Speaker 4: Well? And then I have, of course, because because I ran the show.
Speaker 5: I did the show. It was a big hit in New York. We did it first forever. I've done it six hundred times or more, and we did it off Broadway for a long time, and a lot of people came, a lot of like fame and people and people who like and there was like one time somebody stopped me and they were like, I was one of Barbara's assistants and this is so accurate, or or somebody who was like how did he know?
Speaker 4: Like, did he work there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 4: So it's like John just channeled something so accurately Jane. I think it's okay if I say this.
Speaker 5: Jane Fonda came to the show twice, okay, And she came backstage and she was like the first thing she said to me.
Speaker 4: Was I've been in that mall.
Speaker 3: I was trapped there for six weeks.
Speaker 5: And I was like oh, and she goes, do you think Barbara would like this?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 5: You tell me and she goes, I don't think she would. I was like, well, it's not it's not.
Speaker 4: Really for her. It's more about her, Like we we love her very much. We don't want any we don't want, don't have anything I get. We love her, love her, that's why we're doing this. But she was, she was very she she came twice and she brought a dog.
Speaker 3: Oh. I've seen her with.
Speaker 4: Her dog front the dog and it's cute.
Speaker 3: You can't say no to Jane Fonda's dog.
Speaker 4: It's change. Let it just a legend.
Speaker 3: And don't think Barbara would like it? Oh yeah, Barbara's got a sense of humor. She's got a mall.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know if the mall is a joke to her, though I think it's really just a place to I can't think of another. I guess Graceland or never Land, like like I'm trying to think, like what places have stars not just done something eccentric, right, but then also photographed it and.
Speaker 3: Public shown off as though it was a normal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, like like it's it's a step above, it's it's not just architectural digestread.
Speaker 4: This is a whole book.
Speaker 5: There's a whole book chronicling the entire renovation, and like the whole property, and there's a there's a great because it's supposed to be. It's giving, like the whole the whole thing is giving. And and I don't this is not my opinion. I learned this from the play in John Tolms. But it's giving Connecticut. It' very, it's very there's a barn and there's like a farm. It's like a farmhouse and in Malibu, and there's there's a great scene in the play where he's like, no, this is not your run of the mill barn. Barbara doesn't do run of the mill anything, although she does in fact run a mill. And then I opened the book and there's a giant mill. There is a mill. There's a mill on the property.
Speaker 3: Is it milling anything?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a there's a I guess it's in a pond, right, It's like it's like, yes, in a pond. And and the pond that is described to how it's a koi pond, and she there's a great section of the book photographs of the coypon it. It's like in the the captions are all in her voice, right, so you can read the whole thing in her voice. It's really delightful. I used to do it for people after the show backstage. It was like it was like my like my late show. I would be like, read my favorite parts of the book.
Speaker 4: And one of them is this section with the koi pond, where she's it's a beautiful photo of this beautiful photography is great. The photography.
Speaker 5: She got this great photographer to do it named Barbara streisand does all the principal photography. And there's a beautiful photo of the pond with the koi in it, and they're all black and white koi and she's like, see my cooi. They're all black and white. A little yellow was okay, No orange, she would that's a.
Speaker 3: Rule for everyone. If you have the orange ones, it's a Tacki restaurant. No orange, it's a minture golf course.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I love her. It's fun to talk about. I haven't thought about her in a while.
Speaker 3: And you've never met her. Nope, that's pretty amazing. I feel like you've met a lot of Barber streisand level.
Speaker 5: I've met Barbara adjacent people, but not Barbara. I think they're keeping.
Speaker 4: Me from her. I think it's a keeping yeah, protecting her, which you know, I mean, she's let her. I don't need them.
Speaker 5: I have my She's very special to me for a lot of lots of reasons. My mom and I used to watch this concert that she her big comeback concert from the early nineties. We used to watch it was one of the things that we bonded. So I love her like I'm happy with her where she is.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: But the whole point of that was that Pinkleton so in it.
Speaker 5: At the time, It's well documented that she was considering doing a film of the musical Gypsy, and so that becomes a part of the story of the play, and I the character that the main character. I play all the characters, but the main character is Alex the actor, and he had played Gypsy in high school or something, had played Herbie in Gypsy and high school. And so they like, there's a scene where they kind of do it together. I like rehearsed together, and there was a little bit of a dance. Oh, choreograph came in and choreographed it.
Speaker 4: That was when I first met.
Speaker 5: It was so great and lovely, and it made me feel so because I was like really nervous about the dancing, right, I'm not really a dancer, and dancing alone, Oh.
Speaker 3: That seems terrifying when you don't have anybody to distract.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like it's one thing to like like partner with a person.
Speaker 3: Of course, or have a whole team of backup dancers.
Speaker 5: But to do it by yourself and have to play both parts was really challenging. So he came along and yeah, wow.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, And so that is that kind of what led to Omary.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know. Actually, Omary kind of came out of the blue for me. When they asked me to do Omary, I couldn't believe it. I was.
Speaker 5: I was actually the night before they asked me to do it. I was at dinner with Ryan and we were just talking about it. It was shortly after the Tony's Cole had won the Tony and it was so cool and was a big hit and we were just like, isn't it cool that it exists? And isn't it and we loved it. We saw it off Broadway and we saw it on Broadway. We loved it so much, and we're like, isn't it cool that it's a thing and it exists and now it's a hit and it's getting audience. Is not just like this camp cult thing.
Speaker 4: It's like a real it's a real.
Speaker 3: Like a miracle it does it kind of especially now, yeah.
Speaker 5: Totally, and and it's still running. It just they just got a new Marry last night. Make Stalter is Merry now and Maya Runolf just finished like a huge, huge success doing it and it's it's a good play, Like I stand by that, like this is a good play.
Speaker 4: It's not just funny, Oh my god. Really think it's really smart.
Speaker 5: Yes, and the ways that it plays with its audience is so ingenious and so yeah, we were just talking about it and we were like, wouldn't it be fun to be in at something? And I had sort of resigned myself that I wouldn't ever be in it sure because I'm not quite enough.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: To Mary, I of course don't agree with whatever you're son.
Speaker 5: And I was like, maybe I could be you know, Mary's husband at some point. And then they came and they asked me to play Mary's teacher and I was like, oh, yeah, Mary's teacher.
Speaker 4: I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 5: It's like it was a real treat and it's like such a good part and such a good play and I could do it. Jinx Monsoon and command Nanjianni and Jen Harris played Mary's chaperone, and Tony Mock, who was the original Mary's Husband's assistant I think is what his name is. And uh, it was. It was totally dreaming getting to work with Jinks Monsoon. Oh my gosh, she she's so funny.
Speaker 4: She's so funny and so alive on stage. Like it's like it was this. It felt like working with Sutton.
Speaker 5: Foster or Patti both of them. I mean, it was it was that exciting. They're like when you're on stage with like a star that just doesn't even like need lighting, you know what I mean, Like they're just so electric and so vibrant and and so alive. And all three of them, actually, I would say all three of those those women that I've I've been in plays with at some point were so present that I messed up and they helped.
Speaker 4: Me, you know what I mean, Like, like that's how like alive they are on stage? It was it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Do you have a dream casting for Mary?
Speaker 4: Ooh you know that's a really good Martin short?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 4: How crazy? Would that be?
Speaker 3: Unbelievable that we would knock down walls to see that?
Speaker 5: Of course, like the like you know, the bad answer is like miss Piggy, which is which was a cold said if there was ever a movie, who will play Mary?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: They said?
Speaker 5: They said miss Piggy, which is brilliant and would be amazing. I think it's like obviously like that's.
Speaker 4: Limited without legs, But wouldn't that be wouldn't that be amazing? Match?
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's something else we should talk about. It's been kind of just in the periphery here, and I know you've been trying to avoid the topic and push away from an obvious mistake you made coming into the podcast.
Speaker 4: I just feel weird coming empty ended. I would feel weird about that.
Speaker 3: Well, you were on the show before and you brought something and it was a huge explosion between us, kind of a rift for years. I had to take you out to an apology or you had to take me out to an apology breakfast excuse.
Speaker 4: Me, which was nice and I got a pair of pants out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was again kind of self interest always leads the way with Michael Yury. You brought a gift. Should we open it here on the show?
Speaker 4: I think it's I think we want as well. I mean, at least clear the air, okay, I like you to see what it is for a good or badge. I went to some trouble to, you know, gorgeously wrap thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: I went to a lot of trouble to wrap it. And I think the color is nice and.
Speaker 3: The bow has already fallen off. So your little job.
Speaker 5: I just when I saw it, I thought of you immediately. I don't know why, but it made me think of you immediately.
Speaker 4: It's a little big I hope you have a place for it.
Speaker 3: I would say it's about two feet by.
Speaker 4: No, it's large by four maybe four.
Speaker 3: This is we're two men with no special reasoning skills, butts, it's like a two by it's life size guessing sizes. This is what people like, let's say two by eighteen. Okay, don't ask.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's getting bigger as you hold it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Large, flat, flat pink, kind of a plastic pink for us.
Speaker 5: Right open it, rip into it. Let's see what you got.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the front yet, but it appears to be some I'm gonna guess this is some sort of painting.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a canvas. You you can kind of see from the back that it's a canvas. Oh, and it is revealed see it, see you guys in the same fame.
Speaker 3: It's a painting. It's you. It's you, Bridger.
Speaker 4: I saw it and I said, that's you.
Speaker 3: Where did this come from?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: I should describe to our non tween listener, this is a painting of essentially me.
Speaker 4: It's you. It's it's a it's a victory.
Speaker 3: And maybe maybe like ginger twink.
Speaker 5: With glasses and it's it's just it just I don't know who else it could be.
Speaker 3: This look, this is striking.
Speaker 5: It has to be Bridger Wyneger fan fiction in painting form. I just I don't know how.
Speaker 4: I don't know how well.
Speaker 5: I'm dying for you to get a suit like this, oh my, and and I want there to be a photo shoot.
Speaker 4: With you and with these little glasses. I don't you know.
Speaker 5: I saw it in Palm Springs at a consignment store and it wouldn't stop staring at me, and I had to. I had to get it for you. I've been holding it hoping you would invite me back on the podcast so that I can bring it for you.
Speaker 3: Just occasional text hinting. It looks like somebody painted me as like someone's mean accountant husband, like in uh like yeah gilded age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were like, that will ever work? We don't have that money.
Speaker 5: I've been looking at the books all day, honey.
Speaker 3: It says here it was. There's a name on it. It says Mike Michaels ninety one, which is also weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I must someone someone with the last name Michaels. I know that that probably also selfishly drew me to it.
Speaker 3: You saw that first, this is your first time saying the right name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I guess somebody. It's also an audacious signature.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fit. I like this sort of signature. It's just we're just writing your name.
Speaker 4: This is my name. This is my painting I made that. I was like, how it goes on the side, like you don't you can't quite frame it. Oh, the canvas is like wrapped around.
Speaker 3: That's this is a wrapped canvas like that. This is I mean, an original as far as we can tell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is definitely that Michael's. Michael's touched it.
Speaker 3: What store did you get it at? In Palm Spring?
Speaker 4: I got it at Let's see where can we put the estate sale?
Speaker 5: And Palm Springs there's a lot of consign yes, and then we love a consignment shop, and which I as far as I know, means like you're not. It's like they there's an owner, and then the shop is like selling it for that owner.
Speaker 3: Oh why didn't I've never really put any thought into the word consignment.
Speaker 4: I think that's what consignment means.
Speaker 5: Because we tried to buy something from a cut assignment shop and then we got cold feet and tried to get.
Speaker 4: Out of it. And they were like, well, we already told the owner. And I was like, oh, I see here. So we're disappointing a lot of people if we don't buy this thing, not this something else. But uh, it's called estate sale and it's in Pump Springs.
Speaker 5: There's a couple of them. There's one called a state sale, there's one called Misty's and they've got you know, it's basically like when someone moves on from this mortal coil. There furniture can be sold. Sometimes it's donated, and and you know, in the desert, in the in the Pump Springs and the other desert cities, a lot of people moving on.
Speaker 3: Apparently that's where you go to die.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of great stuff.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of good stuff out there.
Speaker 4: A lot of people can show up there. They have nice stuff. They spend a lifetime collecting it, and then when they go, they you know, the kids.
Speaker 3: Say, if we don't want any of this chunk.
Speaker 5: Let's see what we can get for it, and they sell it at consignment and this place a state sale.
Speaker 4: It was on a wall and unbelievable. I know, I'm so happy at talking I hope everyone likes it at home or here at the studio.
Speaker 3: It feels like it might be an we'll see if we can figure out a way to have it here at the studio, possibly just to make the guests even more uncomfortable with whatever's going on.
Speaker 4: I would be so honored if this stayed here as part of the studio and every guest had to look at it and acknowledge it, and you had to talk about me every episode.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true. This is oh so Ultimately, this is just a publicity scam.
Speaker 4: This is yes, this is I'm playing I'm playing two dimensional chests with this, with this one.
Speaker 3: This is how you stay in the convent.
Speaker 4: This isn't a one laugh gift. This is a recurring laugh.
Speaker 3: This is going to we have this painting of Io here, and it's going to overshadow Io because people are always like is that Io? Now? People are can be so distracted from They're gonna be like is that you? And I'll say, yes, it's from somebody I can't remember.
Speaker 4: But the name is right there. How can you forget the name?
Speaker 3: It's Michaels, Michaels something. What was the thing you were going to buy?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: Got cold feet about it was a table.
Speaker 5: It was a big, very expensive table, and we did get out of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, how did you like? What were you penalized?
Speaker 4: We had to we had to work off a credit.
Speaker 3: Well I wasn't aware of this trap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah they were. We we had a credit. Actually, I think we still have.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: No, we finally did, actually because then when I got this, we were outside the credit.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh this is this was almost like an escape from a curse. The only way to break the curse is to buy it enchanted painting.
Speaker 4: If we didn't buy this, you might never be free. Oh interesting, I feel like this, or you would always be part.
Speaker 3: Of me was trapped in the consignments. Yes, in chains, I'm finally free. Fal maybe something good will happen.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's so.
Speaker 4: I sometimes feel that way because I go to a lot of shops like that, like revivals in the Desert are great. Or in New York we have housing works.
Speaker 3: Yes, or the Cure what's that what it's called in the East Village. There's a room store that's really great there that I go to anytime I'm there.
Speaker 4: We gotta go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that sounds amazing, or or hear this out of the out of the box, you know those out of the out of the closet, thank you?
Speaker 3: Wow what you've been canceled as a gay person and somehow that was came out of the box last week?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: Oh the history, all the history of out of the closet just like thrown out the door box of the God.
Speaker 4: That's humiliating. But those places, I love them. Those places are great.
Speaker 5: And I love going through the record collection. I collect vinyl.
Speaker 4: Oh I would.
Speaker 3: Love to, but I think I would get out of control.
Speaker 4: Oh it's so great. I love it. So I listened to Vinyl every day.
Speaker 3: You've got You've got very timeless taste. I think as far you were just a Herb Helper, Herb.
Speaker 4: Herb Helpert, Herb Alpert.
Speaker 3: I don't know this, but it's like you. No, I think I'm like probably vaguely aware of his music.
Speaker 4: You know his music for sure.
Speaker 3: But you posted to Instagram that you wore out the cassette tape as a child.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is incredible.
Speaker 5: I love Herb Alpert, love this music.
Speaker 4: I have so many of his records on vinyl.
Speaker 5: He plays the trumpet, okay, and he also a and P records. I'm sorry, an R Records. He's the A of an R Records, So like he's a he's a very wealthy man. But he like was responsible for a lot. He's responsible for Sergio Mendez. Like he sort of produced he didn't you know, I mean he didn't make he didn't teach the trumpet, but yeah, he sort of like made that a whole wow thing and the whole possibility. And he had great relationships with the Carpenters and Burt Bacharack. And he's ninety one years old, Bridger, and he's still wow. He still blows good for And he came like dancing on at the Hollywood Bowl the other night, and he was and he sounds great. And he has a new combo. I don't think it's the same Tijuana brass guys, but he's got this new group of people and it's just, I mean, the most perfect Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 3: Knight who introduced you to him as a child, you.
Speaker 4: Know, it was probably good question.
Speaker 5: My parents probably had the tape, okay, it seemed, and my parents had records, They had some Herb Alpert records.
Speaker 4: It was a big deal. Like people especially you know in the sixties and seventies. I think it was. It was because it's great like dinner music, right, there's no there's no.
Speaker 3: Put on some light jazzy music in the background.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for party, party music or dinner music. So I think a lot of people had the records. And there's some I read some statistics that the one year he sold more records than the Beatles or something like that. Oh, and I think, uh so, I think I think he was the soundtrack of a lot of people's lives. And you will you would know if you like put on Herb Alpert. It's like, oh yeah, I've heard that a lot of stuff. Get there's this great song called Rise that I think was post Tijuana Brass. It was just Herb Alpert. But it gets sampled all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, Can you think of an example of being sampled?
Speaker 4: No, I'm sorry yet, but I know it happened. Okay.
Speaker 5: And then the tape that I wore out might have been a tape of movie music or it might have been like a James Bond.
Speaker 3: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Because that particular song which he did play the other night that I posted a video of was Casino Royale. Okay, which was a James Bond movie, but like a parody James Bond movie.
Speaker 3: I've tried figuring. I've never seen the movie, but I feel like I've read about that at some point and it was like, wait, I know what wasn't who was like, especially considering now how protective people are of like I and whatever, I know, what was this thing?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure it was, and I should know since I love the song so much, but I think it was like I never saw it, but I think it was a movie that came out in the you know, the the golden era of James Bond, the Roger Moore, Sean Connery era. They was there was another James Bond movie that was a comedy and instead of it being like Shirley Bassey singing Thunderball, it was herb Albert. Yeah, and it's just an awesome song. And then I didn't know this until I posted this on Instagram, But apparently a lot of people know that music because there's a hilarious Will Forte sketch on SNL where he plays a coach and they're like there, it's halftime of a basketball game and they're like down by fifty points and he's like, my coach once played this song for me and I'm gonna play it for you now. And he pulls out a tape and he puts it in and it's Herb Alpert and he just dances and it's so funny. I'd never seen it, and all these people were messaging me.
Speaker 3: On Instagram about it.
Speaker 4: So I love him, Herb. I love her and I love collecting.
Speaker 3: How many records do you think you have?
Speaker 5: Well, I have limited. My I don't have that many. I have two collections. I have because I have here and in New York, New York, we have more room, so I have more, probably, I don't know, definitely more than a hundred. I keep it limited, but I will buy because sometimes you can get a record, like at a revivals or at a housing works, like.
Speaker 3: A great record for a dollar Oh so cheap.
Speaker 5: It's crazy, and it's like this will give me hours of joy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a nice way of looking at it.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I buy. I have some records in both cities.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's actually a good idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I love them so much and I see them. You know, if there's a Bear listen, if there's a Barry MANI Low record.
Speaker 3: I mean you don't have the dombake that you're getting every Barry man record.
Speaker 4: And it's a dollar. I'm not going to leave.
Speaker 5: First of all, I'm not going to leave a Barry Manilow record with a dollar price tag on it. I'm taking it just so no one else sees it and thinks, why is that only a dollar?
Speaker 3: Because they're protecting Barry.
Speaker 5: I'm protecting the brand, and I will not lee. I did this with Liza Manelli. There was Eliza Minelli at Carnegie Hall record for a dollar and housing works, and I said, that is that will not do.
Speaker 4: I will not leave. Liza deserves better than to be on sale for one dollar, and I will not leave this.
Speaker 3: There's some poor, impressionable team that could have used that record you've robbed.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: You've robbed them that, It's true.
Speaker 4: But they wouldn't have known how to do it.
Speaker 5: They wouldn't have understood why it's so important, why the Carnegie Hall album is so important.
Speaker 4: Because she just kicked the drugs.
Speaker 5: So when she sings Cabaret and she says I'm not going down like Elsie, it meant.
Speaker 4: Something, you know, that one that's a really good album. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna buy it, but I can't find an affordable copy.
Speaker 4: So I have three.
Speaker 3: I'll leend you.
Speaker 5: I'll lend you my spare record player, and I actually have a spare I have a.
Speaker 3: Traveler Oh to keep it in your suitcase.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a traveler record player that I that's in my trailer at Shrinking right now.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: I have one in New York too.
Speaker 5: That's amazing, No, I know, And this is a pretty new thing for me because when the pandemic hit, Ryan and I were, you know, quarantined as we all were, and we were in New York, so we were like quarantine in our little box. We didn't have outdoor space or anything like that, and we were listening to music all day every day and it just became like so background because we just put on, you know, a playlist and it would just keep playing and we didn't have to monitor it or anything like that. And I was and one day I said, should we start a record collection? And it was the quickest Ryan and I ever agreed on anything.
Speaker 4: Really. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Immediately He's like, yes, we should, we should. And then because of supply chain, it took forever for us to get our record player we ordered it, nothing was open and it took forever. That was really sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the supply chain thing was really weird, dream about having an object, so like that'll be a year from now.
Speaker 4: But then it did finally come.
Speaker 5: Our record, our first record player did finally come and we started ordering you know, records, and then that summer, the summer of twenty twenty, we you know, quarantined and then drove to see our families and rated the old record collections. Oh that's so cool, So my parents, you rated my parents' old record collection, Ryan's moms and Ryan's stepmom's collections.
Speaker 4: So we have a lot of really good stuff.
Speaker 3: And your music tastes lines up enough that it's really never an issue.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, me and Ryan, we have a lot of Barry man Low that he doesn't listen to as much as I tell sure.
Speaker 4: And then a lot of Madonna that I listened.
Speaker 3: Too far less okay, interesting.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love Madonna, right, but it's not you know, it's not my it's just not my jam.
Speaker 3: The way it is, they line up with the sort of listening you're usually doing, which is more for like an elderly person.
Speaker 4: I have the music taste of the people who's furniture's in consignments.
Speaker 3: Who do you think is like the most current musician or band that you listened to?
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, Harry Styles.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's correct. I really like Harry Styles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's probably that's new. He has a new album that's great, which I really like. I went to his concert. I wasn't a fan.
Speaker 4: Until I went to his concert.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was invited to go because I knew someone in the uh in the opener.
Speaker 4: Oh and oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's probably a big show.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. It was like it was crazy.
Speaker 5: It was at Madison Square Garden and we watched from a box actually above and he was just that album that I think I already kind of knew that album because Ryan had gotten it.
Speaker 4: But that second album, his second album.
Speaker 3: More not the newest one, but them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One has the like music for a sushi restaurant and it's called but it is.
Speaker 5: It is so amazing, And this concert was just it was It was Madison Square Garden was like literally shaking.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sure I can't imagine the sound alone.
Speaker 5: And to be kind of above it with a bird's eye view was like and I had just this is a random I had just been there like a week earlier for Billy Joel. Oh wow, to see Billy Joel in one of his last concerts at the in his residency mats. Remember he did one a month for years. I saw it a couple of times, but the last time I saw it it was I was like, oh, I've never seen a concert this crazy before, this raucous.
Speaker 4: And then a week later.
Speaker 3: Harry said, sorry, Billy, no one cares.
Speaker 4: Harryes that hold my cosmo or whatever. Harry styles drinks.
Speaker 5: But what it's what was really special that night was like they went nuts. But the song that the audience went the craziest for was you don't Know You're beautiful. Oh it's a one direction song.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: That makes you beautiful? And it was I was so moved because it's like all these girls, all these like teenage girls, and that song is so sweet. It's such a sweet and that's that's our anthem. It's an anthem. Yeah, totally, it's an anthem for everybody. Yeah, so I think, yeah, that's probably the one that's say. Oh you know who else? I really like Brandy Carlisle, Okay, really.
Speaker 3: Into her anytime I hear Brandy Carlisle, I feel like it's somebody from the seventies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's totally got that five.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why, right right, that makes sense to me.
Speaker 5: And you know, Harry Styles now is giving you know, that kind of performance is not unlike you know my man alone.
Speaker 3: Oh he's very He's our next barrier in the seven of You know, there'll be people watching him in Vegas in forty years. No kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But you know, Menilo just beat cancer.
Speaker 3: Oh good for him.
Speaker 5: Yes, wow, he just had cancer and like had part of his lung removes six months ago, and he's back doing arena concerts. He's back on toes eighty three.
Speaker 3: This sort of thing to me, this the Herb at ninety one is like I got ripped off genetically because I couldn't do it now, you know what I mean. I'm just like, well, I just really got ripped off.
Speaker 5: But you got to think like with her, like thinking about Herb Albert and Barry Metelo, which I do a lot, I believe you kind of figure like that exercise of blowing through a trumpet or singing, you know, like a ninety minute concert two hundred and fifty times a year.
Speaker 4: Like, that's going to be really good for you. Your heart and your lungs must.
Speaker 5: Be an incredible shape if you're doing that so consistently. Yeah, for so many decades.
Speaker 3: Being surrounded by an audience of screaming Michael Yuri's.
Speaker 4: Yes, fueling you well, taking you to Berry Madelove.
Speaker 3: Does he ever? He's only ever in Vegas.
Speaker 4: He's doing a stadium tour right now. Not here, not.
Speaker 5: I don't know when he's going to be back in California. But we're going to Vegas.
Speaker 3: We should we should all go. And does he live in Palm Springs? Yeah, I think you're going to cross paths.
Speaker 5: Oh I've met him many times. Yeah, Oh, no, we're pals. I never met.
Speaker 4: We're pals.
Speaker 5: I the second I back in the day when Ugly Betty was first on TV, which is my big break.
Speaker 4: As soon as I was on TV, I used every every ounce of influence to meet Barry made my first Yeah.
Speaker 5: The first time I saw him in concert, I was in the Nosebleeds at Madison Square Garden. But then the second time that was in Vegas and I got to meet him, and uh, and he has come to see me he came to see.
Speaker 4: Buyer and Selling.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so lovely.
Speaker 4: You came to see the BARBISTI SAMs.
Speaker 3: He may have been in the mall.
Speaker 4: He may have.
Speaker 3: They have a great duet together, and I can see him hitting up the mall.
Speaker 5: And he came to see Torts songs. He's a he's a good guy. He's a really good guy. Yeah, and all the people he keeps around him are very cool. And I have had many lovely nights in theaters watching me.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm such a weird now.
Speaker 3: I think it's nice. Is there anything left to say about this haunted painting of me?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad it's back with you after you posed for it in a previous life. Before that that Bridger died of consumption or whatever.
Speaker 4: I think. I don't know. I'm just so happy you have I know.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is just I think this is a top This may be the best gift that's ever been done on the podcast. I mean, like, how do we top this? This is a crazy thing. It's you, This is an insane object.
Speaker 4: It was looking at me from the wall State sound to me.
Speaker 5: It's so I'm so I love it. I also I love I love this kind of this era, Like I think I think I could have lived.
Speaker 3: Oh, sure, you could easily slip into this sort of thing. I can see you in the sort of suit.
Speaker 4: You too, I mean, your hair almost giving.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy in the painting.
Speaker 4: Hair is dried now.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank god, thank god. But I think I think it's going to be very happy with unbelievable. Wow, this is a cherished object. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 4: It's definitely better than my last gift.
Speaker 3: The last gift was very thought so, but this is like, I mean, it's just now we've got a whole range of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could actually use the previous gift to measure Wow.
Speaker 3: Interesting that we had kind of a measurement topic.
Speaker 4: I mean, last time I got you a measuring tape from Ikea. But I was just because I was inspired by Paul really rip I know, the best, the absolute best his documentary since we last spoke.
Speaker 3: It came out good, so good, yeah, really beautiful.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that thing just yeah? So moving and so haunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and heartbreaking and just I mean the way it ends. Just listener, if you haven't seen the Paul Rubins documentary, what are you watching to be adopted? Well, of course, but after that.
Speaker 5: But also like it's really special because it's sad, of course, and they shot it when he was still alive, and now he's not alive, and that he kept his sickness his almost a secret was like so heartbreaking. Yes, but I when I found most heartbreaking about it was to see that he and I felt this when he was on your podcast.
Speaker 4: He's still so, he was still so mercurial and hambish.
Speaker 3: And oh it's so he's so funny and such just like a pain, you know what I mean, in like a perfect way.
Speaker 4: Yes, this like little little gnat that you can't possibly control. And there he is being brilliant. You see it in his eyes. There's that that genius is still still there.
Speaker 3: It's like the part of pee Wee that like the rude pee wee, Like, oh it's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think we should play a game or two. I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 4: Eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, First, I'd like you to promote, recommend, do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, Season four Shrinking is being shot right now. The first three seasons are available. I recently narrated an audio book that I'm very proud of, called Take Me with You by the great Stephen Rowley. It's a great book. Read it or listen to me read it. I will be leaving from here to go to London for a few weeks where I have the great fortune of reprising the role of Amy's Amy Amy Mary's.
Speaker 3: Oh Amy, that's the two le version.
Speaker 5: Oh Amy, Oh my god, about who who's that about?
Speaker 3: That's a long lost Amy Lincoln. You never hear about Amy Amy Lincoln.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's good Lincoln's brother's wife.
Speaker 5: Oh Mary, uh in o Mary, the role of o Mary's teacher. I get to reprise that for two weeks with the Great Cola Scola, and we're going to be filming it for HBO, which is like just like so dreamy, and it's a crazy honor to have been asked out of all of the amazing actors who have played Mary's teacher.
Speaker 4: So I'll be heading to do that.
Speaker 3: That's so, I mean, the HBO part is so exciting the amount of attempts I've tried to boot like the show because I want to watch it again. Oh there's a whole I can't find it anywhere on live Tim like interesting because I'm not in New York, I can't see every version of the show. It's like, I just want to see it again. Thank god it's going to be I haven't seen it since I don't know, February of twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still doing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's I'm so excited. I'm honored. And I still can't really believe it. I can't believe. I can't believe Shrinking is letting me go do it. I can't believe they wanted me. And I can't believe I get to be part of memorializing it forever like there, it will be the archive forever for anyone Tony any time. And and I think about, I mean, I think about how important watching theater on screens was for me before I had access to the theater. And I think about like the kids all of the country that are going to see this and see something that that is possible for them. And so that's that's pretty awesome and pretty exciting. Do you like to watch bootlegs?
Speaker 3: This is like I'm not you know, I'm not a huge theater person. I wasn't really I had really not experienced any theater until Jim and I started dating, but O Mary was the first thing where I was like, I just love it so much, I want to just have a copy of it. And Jim introduced me to the whole world of uh, slime tutorials. Are you familiar?
Speaker 5: Okay, so this is what I was gonna ask, because there's a is it called slime tutorial?
Speaker 3: That's yeah, you like on YouTube. You type in like the name of the show and Broadway. I'm sorry, but it's happening you and then you type in slime tutorial. And there will frequently be bootlegs. But Oh Mary has done a very good job of that not.
Speaker 4: Happened keeping it out.
Speaker 3: So that's good I mean for.
Speaker 4: Oh Mary, not good for me the home viewer. Good for a home box office HBO.
Speaker 5: I feel like, like a bootleg of a show that's no longer available, is I feel like, ethically I'm okay with watching a bootleg of Oh, I don't know, say, when Bernadette Peters.
Speaker 4: Was in Hello Dolly. Preservation and that's that's preservation. That's like the ancient texts.
Speaker 5: Yes, because you know, Lincoln Center Library makes archival recordings of a lot of shows right that aren't released, that are not released, but you can go to the library and plead your case to watch it, which is basically just like I'm anationing for it, and I you know, you can see sort of I'm working on it. I'm working on it in a scene class or I'm under saper and they'll let you watch it, but you have to sit there and watch it. So you know, that's probably they probably have Omry there. Okay, they probably have Bette Midler and Hello Dolly there, But Bernadette Peters and Hello Dolly isn't at the Lincoln Center Archives. So where else will I get that? Yes, I saw it twice when she did it, But what if I need.
Speaker 4: To watch it?
Speaker 3: Guess Mary will need to for my heart.
Speaker 5: But I did not know this slime tutorial and we might be in trouble for even saying it with the bootleg community.
Speaker 3: But I think I've talked about it on this podcast before.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, then then it's on you.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest. I think it's a I think it's kind of failing it. It's failed me, So what can you say?
Speaker 5: Well, I wonder if there's a bigger crackdown on shows that are still running. Oh, probably because they don't. They want to like drive people to right. So I don't know, and who knows when they'll release this? Oh, Mary, you know they released Hamilton the Pro Shot as they call it Hamilton while the show's still running.
Speaker 4: So it's still running, right, and it doesn't seem to have hurt.
Speaker 3: I think it feels like a just an ad for the to go see the show.
Speaker 5: Basically, yeah, go see another group of people. Do it right, and here's this group, and go see another group of people.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's play it.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's play game.
Speaker 3: First. We're going to play a game called Invite List.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm going to I know this game.
Speaker 3: Name a list of start naming a list of celebrities. You tell me if they're invited or not invited, and I have ten. You get to pick ten, okay, and you can say why or not why not? You can say whatever you want and Ellis will keep tracks, so you don't have to, okay, what unless you want to keep tracking?
Speaker 4: And I kind of want to because I've seen this. I know this game. You gotta be careful, fan of the pod, so I know that sometimes people end up with ten people and you just have to be careful.
Speaker 3: Yes, you got to be careful.
Speaker 4: Ten's not that many.
Speaker 3: It's an exclusive party. Yeah, all right, Robin uh not invited. Damon John who's that he is one of the Shark Tank shark.
Speaker 4: Definitely, No, no, no, sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Paul Hollywood, these people this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Paul Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Do you know who Paul Hollywood is? When you're out of touch with modern culture. He's one of the judges on Great British Bakeoff?
Speaker 4: Oh of course, okay, yeah, Paul Hollywood's.
Speaker 3: In Okay, Meredith Mark's real housewife of SLIC City.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 5: Francis McDormand, oh absolutely, Frances McDormand lives in our neighborhood. No, yes, like really close to us, and we live on the first floor and what and so sometimes depending on the time of day and depending on how our how our blinds are, people can see into our apartment and we can see people walk by, which we kind of like, I mean, we're not weird exhibition, it's like that.
Speaker 4: But like it's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: It's people watching it.
Speaker 5: And I was we were sitting at the in our kitchen and having a conversation and Ryan was like, oh my god, Francis mcdormant just walked by and she nodded at me, and I was like, no, she didn't, and he was like, I'm I swear to god she did. And then a few minutes later we left to I think walk the Dog, and sure enough we saw her nearby.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd pass away. There are so few actors I really care about.
Speaker 4: She's amazing, just one.
Speaker 3: Of the all time great. Okay, so invited.
Speaker 5: Invited, So Paul Hollywood and Francis McDorman.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'll really get along. Mark Zuckerberg, No, God, Kim Jong.
Speaker 4: Un next to No, No, Kim. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're gonna know who this person is. But maybe she's great Slater. Do you know this person? You got to get into Slater. She's got maybe the album of the year.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, God, this is humiliating. I don't know anything about pop culture.
Speaker 3: But probably not invited for you, I guess not. Angela Bassett absolutely invited. She's fantastic.
Speaker 5: I met her once backstage. She came to see Actually it was I was. It was a two shows happening at the same time, and we shared a backstage and she had seen the other one. But I walked back and she was there, and I was like, I stopped in my tracks.
Speaker 3: She was fabulous. God, we need a list of just everyone you have met, your Forrest Gump.
Speaker 4: I am sort of like the gay forest Gup happened to be around.
Speaker 3: Every single person. I mean it when I say it, everyone loves Michael Eric.
Speaker 5: No, that can't be true. I mean it's true that you mean it. I just don't think it's.
Speaker 3: We should find the person who hates you. I'm gonna begin the search.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Glenn Close. Oh, absolutely, George Ta Kai oh oh.
Speaker 5: I thought I was wearing my George Kay. I have two T shirts that are that I wear more than any other. One is this k ear with one Orran T shirt and the other is O G cast to.
Speaker 4: Star Trek amazing. Yeah, that's add George sam Altman. Who's that a musician?
Speaker 3: Right, He's the owner of Chat. He's kind of the person in charge at Chat GPT. That's not I'm sorry, No, Sylvester Stallone.
Speaker 5: You know, there would have been a time when I absolutely would have provided Sylvester Stallone. But in this political climate, given then he is a supporter, I just think politically we don't align anymore, even though I love Cliffhanger.
Speaker 3: Okay, not invited, Sporty spice.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna pass ginger spice, pass baby spice.
Speaker 3: Past, scary spice in Victoria Beckham past.
Speaker 4: Although although I've met Victoria Beckham and she's lovely. Wow. Yeah, she was on Ugly Betty. She was great.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good to know, Vicky, Vicky keeping it really very very cool.
Speaker 4: Gene Simmons of Kiss was also on Ugly Betty.
Speaker 3: Also makeup.
Speaker 4: No, not in makeup.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 5: I think the story was that he was that we thought he was Becky Newton's character's father, lovely man. Politically, I think we don't know line anymore, so I'm gonna say no. But he did try to set me up with his assistant.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, it was a gay guy. Yeah, okay, Oh I thought it was like I got a girl for you.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't trying to he wasn't trying to fix me. He was he was, he was, he was sweet, He was sweet. But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess you make a career in makeup and platform shoes, you've got to be at least open to the idea of people being gay.
Speaker 5: You know what, Yes, I think so too. I think he trademarked all that makeup.
Speaker 3: Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 4: He was telling me about it.
Speaker 5: He like, he's like a very smart businessman, and he trademarked all that makeup.
Speaker 3: Oh shrewd right?
Speaker 4: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Okay, Forrest Whittaker.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think that would be fun.
Speaker 3: I think he would be a secretly good time.
Speaker 4: I think he would be really interesting.
Speaker 8: And just as an update, that's seven.
Speaker 3: So we've got three lefts.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, thank you Garth Brooks. I mean I do listen.
Speaker 3: I texted, I know this is an interesting one, Garth.
Speaker 4: Brooks, Let's do it. Come on, Garth.
Speaker 3: Garth is you know he runs around the stage, He's doing all sorts of things. People seem to love him.
Speaker 4: Oh he's great. He's got friends in low places. I think he'd be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Did you ever see the Facebook video which one him talking his first video he posted to Facebook. It's that's one that you're gonna want to see at some point. Get your eyes.
Speaker 4: Is that gonna make me want to make that a goal? Change?
Speaker 3: To make you love Garth Brooks in a new way?
Speaker 4: Is I got friends in low places? Garth Brooks. I think so, yeah, thunder Road, thunder Road. What about that one where he's like, he's like the old high school football game and he sees that lady that he knew and now he knows he's with the right woman after all these years. Gosh, it gets me every married stalker. Okay, Jaden Smith? Oh uh is Jaden Smith?
Speaker 3: This is or I guess we could say Jayden Pinkett Smith.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, I know that is.
Speaker 3: No. Kate Winslet. Oh absolutely, she's so good, divine Jackie got one more? Just Jackie Chan. Nothing, Okay, this is interesting coming up here. We were just talking about this guy. And I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith in the Karate Kid together.
Speaker 3: I'm not the person to ask Karate Kid reboot.
Speaker 4: That's not why this list. That's not why they're both on the list, because they would have that to talk about.
Speaker 3: The party would already be a buzz about Karate Kid. That's all anybody ever talks about, and Glenn.
Speaker 5: Close would just not stop talking about Karate Kid all night. Forest Whitaker's like, can we at least talk about the last king in Scotland. She's like no, no, we have to keep talking about.
Speaker 3: I should have booked it. Okay, Now this one's interesting because we were talking about him earlier and he's a must. Eric Adams Path, George R. R. Martin Pastum, Kathy Griffin.
Speaker 5: If I was starting this list, I would say yes, absolutely, but given that I have one slot left.
Speaker 3: Fairytas right now, I don't know if she's right. Candace Owens, who this is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's uh wait no.
Speaker 3: Kind of this horrible conservative person.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, definitely not. I know you're talking about. Definitely not.
Speaker 3: I like that person. I think kind of always losing her mind.
Speaker 4: King, Charles King, Charles, well, that's kind of fun. No.
Speaker 3: Jessica Seinfeld Jerry Seinfeld's wife.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna pass.
Speaker 5: Daniel Craig hmm, the from Casino Royale.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right. Well the way things come together.
Speaker 5: But but you know they don't use the herbal and for that reason, I'm going the same note to Daniel.
Speaker 3: That's why that was a box office bomb. Randy Jackson Randy Jackson from from American ISLEL.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a note for me dog, Scott Bayo, that's a deaf note. No thanks, Scott got.
Speaker 3: Bayo blocked me on Twitter very early on. Really, I mean, I obviously was thrilled about it. I don't know what tweet set him off. I'd love to Scott reach out.
Speaker 4: That would be so funny to like pinpoint, which.
Speaker 3: I would love to know what really just ruined his day? Paula Dean Oh.
Speaker 4: H no, Laura Dern oh okay, Yes, that's a good one. That's a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a good way.
Speaker 4: Can we read it? Absolutely?
Speaker 8: We've got Paul Hollywood, Francis McDermott, Angela Bassett, Glenn Close, George Ta, Kai Scary Spice, Forrest Whittaker, Garth Brooks, Kate Winslet, and Laura Dern.
Speaker 4: This is great.
Speaker 3: What a party?
Speaker 4: What a great that's a great lists and you really put some thought into it, which I appreciate.
Speaker 3: What party is? What party would that even be?
Speaker 4: It would be Hollywood Bowl. We'd be going to the Hollywood.
Speaker 3: We have a box at the we get two.
Speaker 5: Boxes next to each other, and it would be for the Boston Pops.
Speaker 4: No, the the Boston Pops in the LA Yeah, the other Boston Pops. I was seeing John Williams in the Boston Pops.
Speaker 3: But it's the La Phil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really Phil, that's who.
Speaker 5: That's who has the residency at the Bowl, right, Yes, that's what we'd be there for, and we'd we'd get fried Chick.
Speaker 3: Lovely evening delicious. Well, I think that game took long enough that we're not even going to play another game. Okay, fair enough, But we'll answer a listener question. Will you help me answer a question?
Speaker 4: I would be delighted people are.
Speaker 3: Writing into I said no gifts at gmail dot com. Most of my listeners have no coping skills and they're just begging a podcast for answers. So, Deer Bridger and Lovely Guest, I have a gift conundrum. I'd love your help with. My daughter is nearly two, and it's around this time that all her friends are also having birthdays. She is with all kinds of the same age at her daycare and from our mommy and me classes. Okay, get we get invites to all the birthday parties, and I like going because there's nothing better than a party that goes from nine am to noon. Okay. My daughter also gets extra time with her friends, which is adorable. Okay, whatever, what's the problem anyway? Do I have to get all these kids gifts. I usually just bring them pastries or cookies. Since I'm a baker at Proof in Atwater Village. Have you been to Proof No delicious bakery h with an interesting I think a very unionized bakery anyway, so that's an easy lift. But they always seem like kind of a cop out when I see a table full of beautifully wrapped gifts the party, What do I do? There are like a thousand kids and I'm not made of cash. With love Lauren also, ps, please come to prove It would be a pleasure to hear your thoughts on the bakes. Okay, well you'll see me around, Lauren. I'm going to demand the best.
Speaker 4: It could be that, Okay.
Speaker 3: So basically Lauren's problem or Lauren whatever, la U r e N don't It's not my problem. The daughters to all of the rich la children are having these fabulous parties and demanding gifts. Parents are expecting gifts. Lauren is working at one of our best bakeries and bringing baked goods and she feels bad about it.
Speaker 4: Well, gosh, I don't think she should feel bad about that at all.
Speaker 3: Should she be bringing expensive gifts to every toddler in the Inland Empire.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think what she is doing is far more interesting and original than some high dollar trinket that the kid will play with for a minute.
Speaker 4: Right, and it's is it? Is she bringing enough for the whole class? Like? Is it? Like?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Is he bringing like a plate of cookies that she baked at her fabulous at water. I think, I think.
Speaker 5: I think she's honestly, I think she's exactly right.
Speaker 4: Well, you disagree.
Speaker 3: I feel like Lauren's making a huge mistake here. She's got these, all of these networking opportunities. She should be looking at this as a networking opportunity, and she needs to show up her best. She's got a she should be bringing a Look, everybody's in debt. Why can't Lauren be for giving away gifts? To Lauren, you're doing the wrong thing. Keep the bakery. You're being a cheap skate. You should show up with a gift that's minimum one hundred dollars and that's minimum. People are talking about her, They're saying, I'm sure the cookies are good, but I could have gotten bought these myself, you know. Well, God, I feel like she's flopped. I'm sure her two year olds are so embarrassed. Mom, you just stay in the car.
Speaker 5: So you said you're saying gifts. You say gifts, I said gifts.
Speaker 3: I said gifts for two year olds. I think it's important that a two year old get an expensive gift. Yes, gifts, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: But you know, as someone who has a two year old on TV, I think that the I think the cookies, cookies and pastries, you know, like a bear claw, I think they would be welcomed and and and what what what a unique and.
Speaker 4: You made this? How we thank you, Lauren. The kids Lauren, missus one have made this?
Speaker 3: Lauren, missus Lauren she made these.
Speaker 4: These are these are fresh?
Speaker 5: Everyone try, but of course it is la So I don't know, those kids might all be like, oh.
Speaker 3: Boy, and all of these things. You've got to consider. I've started bringing I'm trying to make it a goal of baking cookies to take to parties instead of just grabbing some boring drink. To really people go crazy. You bring a nice, well made cookie to a party, you're the talk of the town. Wow's having a great time with them.
Speaker 5: How often have you brought a bottle of wine and you it just gets put away and as you leave, you're.
Speaker 4: Like, there it is there, should just grab it. The next party you take cookies, you know, it's let's be honest, I'm allowed, Laurence. What kind of cookies do you make? Chocolate chip, sea.
Speaker 3: Salt, sea salt, sometimes with walnuts. I mean, they're phenomenal and people love them. But only I can do that. Lauren's stealing my thing. I think that's ultimately my problem.
Speaker 4: They're phenomenal.
Speaker 3: My cooking.
Speaker 5: Do you see these Instagram videos where people are like, all you need is is like peanut butter and one one cocoa, one scoop of cocoa powder and a wish and it's a brownie and it's like this is just protein. And I'm like, that looks like a brownie and they say it tastes like a brownie. How is that protein?
Speaker 3: This was happening for a while that it was really recommending the same thing, but essentially everything made out of eggs. It was like, yeah, fifteen eggs and a piece of chocolate and you have this is a cake. It's like no, it's then you get in the you would look at the comments and the people were just burning them down. People be like, that's chocolate scrambled eggs. I loved it so much. But there's a particular group of I think the essentially scammers telling people that that works. That doesn't work.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be it's gotta be false.
Speaker 3: I mean, peanut butter and cocoa, I could imagine. I mean, you probably joke, but when it's like eggs and a piece of chocolate, it's like, that's simply not.
Speaker 4: Do you ever cook? Do you use an air fryer?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I am no cook, but I can use an air fryer sure, and it is at it's magic.
Speaker 3: What are you making in there?
Speaker 4: I make? I've made steaks.
Speaker 5: Wow, I've made Last night I had a steak with Brussels sprouts all made out of the in the air fryer. Wow, terrific. I've made eggs.
Speaker 4: All you did? They have?
Speaker 5: They have these like these like these little filters that you can put in the air fryer. And I've made eggs, like you just cracked the egg in there, and.
Speaker 3: What it's like a sunny side up or what is it?
Speaker 4: It comes out sunny side up?
Speaker 5: I guess you like spray with a little bit of you know, avocado oil or whatever. You puts some whatever you want on a salt, some cheese maybe, and it comes out perfect. It's like it's it's like it's weird, but it is like in Back to the Future Part two, the pizza, which she puts the tiny pizza in and five seconds later it's it feels like that, Wow, you put it in, you can't see what's happening in there, and then you pull it out and the egg is cooked.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: The egg is the easiest possible to cook. And this is the one thing I can cook.
Speaker 4: I know, I can't cook it on.
Speaker 3: A regular head Brussels sprout.
Speaker 5: It's fantastic and it's and I'm just like it's for me. It's the cleanup, like it's the it's the mess I'm going to make on the stove, and then it's the mess of clean cleaning it all up.
Speaker 4: But with the airfare, it is so and I have a little one, so it's very simple.
Speaker 3: It might be time for me to just get into it.
Speaker 5: I had to say we got one because in New York, our this is the thing that happens when you live in an old building in New York. We didn't have gas for two years. WHOA, I had no idea this was even something that could happen to you.
Speaker 3: But it just stopped.
Speaker 4: There was a leak in the gas line.
Speaker 5: Summer cooking gas we had, we had heat, and we had hot water, but we didn't have cooking gas for.
Speaker 3: Two How do they justify that?
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: They just they say tough shit, They say sorry, and it's like and you know a lot of people I said, and they're like, well, don't pay your rent, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not a rental, it's a co op. So like you know, co op.
Speaker 3: Is Yeah, you're really committed.
Speaker 4: It's like, who do you complain to? It's it's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all are part of the team.
Speaker 5: We all own this together. This is our problem. Yeah, so we get an air fier. It's back now. The gas is back now, but we still use.
Speaker 4: The airfier because it was such a nice solution.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, well it's probably time I need to cook something for myself on occasion.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous.
Speaker 5: And when you're alone, like you know, that's another thing, Like I'm alone out here because Ryan's in New York. It's really easy to make something very quickly for myself.
Speaker 3: Right, That's how I justify going out every single night where I'm like, well I'm not going to make a whole meal.
Speaker 4: You got Do you go to restaurants alone?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love it. I go to movies alone.
Speaker 4: I love going to the movies alone.
Speaker 3: I think people should only go to the movies alone.
Speaker 5: Well because because regardless, if you go to a movie with another and that person's experience becomes your experience like everything.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I love going the moves alone, but going to restaurants alone depending on where I am. But I also like, I don't want people to recognize me and be like, why does that guy from TV have no friends? That's what I'm afraid of.
Speaker 3: Or you just got to own it. Yeah, No, I like doing I like to go and read while I'm eating.
Speaker 4: Well that's cute.
Speaker 3: There's just something just very relaxing about it too.
Speaker 4: I like like sitting at a counter, like at a diner.
Speaker 3: I wish we had a closer. I go to Clark Street Diner constantly. Oh yeah, I just know everyone there. So I'm in a booth. I'm just the king of the castle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but all right, good to know about this because I think about going to restaurants alone.
Speaker 3: You should do it. Try it. It feels like you're almost like on a little business trip. That's kind of how I feel like I'm expensing this meal. I'm expensing simply every single meal of my life.
Speaker 5: Had a long day of meetings. I'm going to go back to the Marriotte after this. But in the meantime, I do love a hotel bar.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I like going to a hotel bar and I think romantic about that.
Speaker 4: And I love room service.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever gotten room service. No, never.
Speaker 4: Oh it's fabulous. There's something they bring a tray, there's a tiny tabasco, there's like your personal Oh it's great. And then when you're done, you just put it in.
Speaker 3: The hall that I like. I like the idea of leaving trash in a hotel hallway. Oh, it's something very appealing about that. I should give it a shot sometime. No, I did it actually in Japan. We did it, and it did feel incredible. What was the cuisine cheeseburgers?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Really, yes, And it felt I mean it was just like it felt amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It comes in a yeah, like a tray with the top. Maybe I need to get into it more often.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 5: I love and a breakfast. Oh there's something about like a big.
Speaker 4: Old, very expensive breakfast from from a hotel. It's also like, wow, is this so expensive?
Speaker 3: Oh that's I mean, that's what that's holding me back every time? Yes, ruin an evening for Yes.
Speaker 5: If I'm if I'm on someone else, if i'm if I'm working forgets, I will I will opt to stay in just to spend their money.
Speaker 3: I will sink the company. Well, I've got my beautiful painting.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy about it.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you could be here. Thank you so such a joy.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it here listener. The podcast is over adopted too. I love you goodbye. I Said No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Ellis Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Toliday. The theme song is by miracle worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram at I Said No Gifts. That's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts. I'm getting and don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 2: Lie?
Speaker 3: Invit?
Speaker 4: Did you hear.
Speaker 1: Thought? I made myself perfectly clear, But you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no guests, you're our presences. Presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?